PDA

View Full Version : Why Are You Watching the Finals?

jam
06-06-2013, 02:29 AM
Basketball's been a pretty big part of my adult life both as a player and spectator. I played two years of high school ball, and continued to play throughout college and after. I consider myself to be a pretty big fan of the game.

But I don't have a team to root for. Nor do I have a team to root against.

Who are you rooting for and why? Neither city is a major metropolis and few of us have a reason to root for either team in that regard. Lebron and Duncan are locks for the HOF, but Lebron is a major douche and TimmyD is not the most charismatic personality either.

We definitely have the two best teams in the league playing but for the first time in a long time, I'm not sure if I want to watch every game.

amos1er
06-06-2013, 02:33 AM
I always watch the NBA finals.

Pakman
06-06-2013, 02:37 AM
Basketball's been a pretty big part of my adult life both as a player and spectator. I played two years of high school ball, and continued to play throughout college and after. I consider myself to be a pretty big fan of the game.

Who are you rooting for and why? Neither city is a major metropolis and few of us have a reason to root for either team in that regard. Lebron and Duncan are locks for the HOF, but Lebron is a major douche and TimmyD is not the most charismatic personality either.

We definitely have the two best teams in the league playing but for the first time in a long time, I'm not sure if I want to watch every game.I won't watch every game. Spurs are just plain boring. Nothing has changed.

lincecum=future
06-06-2013, 02:39 AM
Don't like either team which sucks but will still probably tune in to every game. Not really sure who I will root for but I probably dislike the Spurs more

sunsfan88
06-06-2013, 02:47 AM
Because its the championship. It's the best of the best. These two teams (Spurs and Heat) are the two best teams in the NBA. It will be so much fun to see them battle vs each other and to see the matchups and how they do in these games.

ThaDubs
06-06-2013, 02:55 AM
I won't watch every game. Spurs are just plain boring. Nothing has changed.

Maybe for you because they don't have posterizing 360 dunks every game.

Avenged
06-06-2013, 02:57 AM
Because I'm an NBA Fan. And because we actually have the two best teams from each conference this season going at it. Should be a lot of fun.

b@llhog24
06-06-2013, 03:34 AM
:jumpy:

Trueblue2
06-06-2013, 03:35 AM
Im watching because i love the game, both as a participant and a spectator. Never played in high school because i knew the tallest i could ever hope to be was 6'1" and i have broad shoulders, thick short lets, no hops, and small hands. Basically the worst possible build for a basketball player. I played njb and played/still play pick up games regularly, but my body type was more a fit for wrestling so thats the sport i chose in high school.

I watch basketball because i have passion for the game and wish i could/would have persued it. I love combat sports, but no other sport fascinates me at the x's and o's level like basketball. I respect and appreciate the talent professionals display and the heart they play with.

In these finals i want to see the heat win. Lebron is a once in a generation talent who is building his legacy with a shot at becoming the best ever. I really like bosh as a player and a personality, i was a fan of his ever since he made those silly videos campaigning for the all star team. Bosh gets lots of undue hate but i respect him because he accepted a lesser role in order to win and players that put winning ahead of personal stats and glory are always a +1 for me. Im not a heat fan, but i do like to see them win. At the time a team is building a legacy everyone wants to see them taken down, but id rather see them become historically great (unless lebron wants to come to LA in 2014 of course.)

b@llhog24
06-06-2013, 03:38 AM
I always like the Spur so that's who I'm pulling for, Manu is my fav two guard of all time, Kahwi is just so :drool: TP is their underrated superstar, and Pop is the mutha****ing manye, I'm kind of indifferent to TD though. As for the Heat, I like Wade, Bosh and Rashard.

Panoy
06-06-2013, 04:08 AM
Why not? I've watch the regular season. why not the finals.

jam
06-06-2013, 04:11 AM
Great post, man. I enjoyed reading this. :)

Im watching because i love the game, both as a participant and a spectator. Never played in high school because i knew the tallest i could ever hope to be was 6'1" and i have broad shoulders, thick short lets, no hops, and small hands. Basically the worst possible build for a basketball player. I played njb and played/still play pick up games regularly, but my body type was more a fit for wrestling so thats the sport i chose in high school.

I watch basketball because i have passion for the game and wish i could/would have persued it. I love combat sports, but no other sport fascinates me at the x's and o's level like basketball. I respect and appreciate the talent professionals display and the heart they play with.

In these finals i want to see the heat win. Lebron is a once in a generation talent who is building his legacy with a shot at becoming the best ever. I really like bosh as a player and a personality, i was a fan of his ever since he made those silly videos campaigning for the all star team. Bosh gets lots of undue hate but i respect him because he accepted a lesser role in order to win and players that put winning ahead of personal stats and glory are always a +1 for me. Im not a heat fan, but i do like to see them win. At the time a team is building a legacy everyone wants to see them taken down, but id rather see them become historically great (unless lebron wants to come to LA in 2014 of course.)

PhillyFaninLA
06-06-2013, 04:14 AM
I'll watch because I'm an NBA fan and don't care all that much who wins but if the Spurs win I want Duncan to retire and end one of the best careers ever with a title, I don't think that would happen but I'd like to see him go out with a ring, if he won't retire with another ring I guess I'd like to see the Heat win. Lebron is one of the best ever so a few more rings would serve him well.

Chrisclover
06-06-2013, 06:02 AM
because i like NBA and they are the only 2teams left. Lakers, clippers , boston . knicks and so many teams are out already

jam
06-06-2013, 06:25 AM
Hmm, courtside tix are $5K+ in the resale market. I guess I'll just watch for free in HD. :)

Plus, I save $300 in parking, lol.

Alayla
06-06-2013, 06:28 AM
I won't watch every game. Spurs are just plain boring. Nothing has changed.

You realize they play totally differently than they use too right.

RLundi
06-06-2013, 06:31 AM
Miami is a pretty major metropolis.

Aapox
06-06-2013, 07:53 AM
I'm watching to see how an under the radar team elite coaching and teamwork matches up against a team with elite athleticism and talent who has been expected to win it all since day 1 and how it's all going to play out. I'm watching to see how the refereeing will be, how much flopping there will be, and how much complaining there will be. I'm watching to see what kind of drama the media will come up with throughout the possible 7 game series and how many games it will actually go. More than all, I'm watching because I'm a huge fan of the game and I love the NBA even though I question its integrity just about every game I watch. As a Bulls fan, I will be rooting for the Spurs, but you absolutely have to respect the Heat and especially Lebron James. A lot of people hate on Lebron, and there's good reasons to, but he has handled being the best player in the world with a lot of class and he genuinely seems like a good person. Whoever wins, they will deserve it. It will be fun to watch!

Heediot
06-06-2013, 08:12 AM
Tim Duncan/ It's probably his last shot for a fifth ring.

torocan
06-06-2013, 08:32 AM
Plenty of good reasons to watch this series.

The two best teams in each conference squaring off.
Lebron, the best player in the NBA in the finals.
Pops, the best coach in the NBA and one of the best in history.
Potentially the last time we'll see Duncan, Manu, Parker and Pops in the finals before they start hanging it up.
The match up of athleticism and talent vs the best fundamental basketball team in the NBA.

The Spurs looking to cement their legacy with a 5th championship. The Heat trying to establish theirs with a 2nd championship.

If you truly love basketball, why wouldn't you want to watch this series? =O

Mr.ATLHawks
06-06-2013, 08:36 AM

Potentially the last time we'll see Duncan, Manu, Parker and Pops in the finals before they start hanging it up.
The match up of athleticism and talent vs the best fundamental basketball team in the NBA.

The Spurs looking to cement their legacy with a 5th championship. The Heat trying to establish theirs with a 2nd championship.

This x20

Ezio
06-06-2013, 08:56 AM

Lebron's Era or Wade's Era?

BALLER R
06-06-2013, 09:05 AM
I'm a basketball fan plain and simple

YoungOne
06-06-2013, 09:11 AM
I wont, not worth getting up at 3 am at night ;)

jam
06-06-2013, 09:23 AM
Great points, indeed. :)

I'll come clean, there's a party thursday night scheduled at the same time and there's a couple of girlies that I wanna meet, ha ha. :)

Decisions, decisions....

c.c.
06-06-2013, 09:28 AM
Maybe for you because they don't have posterizing 360 dunks every game.

Right! This guy must don't know the difference between the NBA Finals and All-Star Weekend. Its June not February

TrueFan420
06-06-2013, 09:42 AM
I'm not

2-ONE-5
06-06-2013, 09:55 AM
because I want to watch the best team of my generation win their 5th ring

D-Leethal
06-06-2013, 10:23 AM
There are so many storylines to this series its ****ing awesome. Any basketball fan should be salivating over this. Duncan vs LeBron is like modern day Russell vs Wilt.

D-Leethal
06-06-2013, 10:24 AM
And the second someone says 'Spurs are boring' their credibility gets thrown right out the ****ing window. Go watch hockey.

FYL_McVeezy
06-06-2013, 10:48 AM
I wont sit down and watch every minute of this series....but the times I do watch I just want to see some good basketball and stars playing at a high level......

The Heat will win the title anyways (no disrespect to spurs fans)

mvb815
06-06-2013, 11:24 AM
i bet 100 dollars at the beginning of the season for the heat to win it all for the 2nd straight year and it's cool to watch it unfold

4 of the last 5 seasons i predicted the winner at the beginning of the season only missing out that mavs year

gotta root for something in the playoffs when you're a raptors fan

D-Leethal
06-06-2013, 11:27 AM
i bet 100 dollars at the beginning of the season for the heat to win it all for the 2nd straight year and it's cool to watch it unfold

4 of the last 5 seasons i predicted the winner at the beginning of the season only missing out that mavs year

gotta root for something in the playoffs when you're a raptors fan

That must have been REAL tough to pick the Lakers and Heat. You must be some kind of basketball genie.

Jarvo
06-06-2013, 11:27 AM
Just look at the sig that's why I'm watching :cheer: and I would love to see Duncan get another one :cheer:

mvb815
06-06-2013, 11:33 AM
That must have been REAL tough to pick the Lakers and Heat. You must be some kind of basketball genie.

and celtics one year

8kobe24
06-06-2013, 12:07 PM
Should be fun, the best in the west, and the heralded team to win it all from the east.

deaner
06-06-2013, 12:21 PM
To enjoy watching the heat fail

COOLbeans
06-06-2013, 12:45 PM
Because I like watching basketball?

I Rock Shaqs
06-06-2013, 12:50 PM
Im going to go with because we are basketball fans.... there's the thread for you.

BigBlueCrew
06-06-2013, 12:54 PM
Cuz I always do, no matter who is in it.

smith&wesson
06-06-2013, 01:04 PM
Lebron is a special player.. Like him or not guys like him don't come around often.

If you are truly a fan of basketball you can watch Lebron and Toni Parker all day long

smith&wesson
06-06-2013, 01:05 PM
Just look at the sig that's why I'm watching :cheer: and I would love to see Duncan get another one :cheer:

Duncan has the personality of a wall flower. He cracks a smile and boom there is your sig lol ..

kdspurman
06-06-2013, 01:17 PM
Duncan has the personality of a wall flower. He cracks a smile and boom there is your sig lol ..

That's actually not true, that's just what he gives to the general public & media. But cause he acts like that, it makes that sig (when he does stuff like that) even funnier.

JerseyPalahniuk
06-06-2013, 01:18 PM
Because I love basketball (specifically the NBA). If the Nets are on I will watch ANYTHING about them whether it's preseason, warm-ups, regular season, against the Bobcats, I even watched their draft scouting on NBA tv a few times haha. If I can watch that why woudln't I want to watch the two best teams n the NBA go at it? Even if it was a Bobcats/Kings finals, I would watch every minute (with no where near the interest though haha)

Also, Spurs are my 2nd favorite team and Duncan is now my favorite player in the league since Kidd retired.

lol, please
06-06-2013, 01:18 PM

We definitely have the two best teams in the league playing but for the first time in a long time, I'm not sure if I want to watch every game.

I stopped watching when my team got eliminated. Baseball, then football for now.

LeperMessiah
06-06-2013, 01:41 PM
Because I'm an NBA Fan. And because we actually have the two best teams from each conference this season going at it. Should be a lot of fun.

This right here.

torocan
06-06-2013, 02:01 PM
Lebron's Era or Wade's Era?

Big 3 era (Wade/James/Bosh).

BklynKnicks3
06-06-2013, 02:20 PM
to root against lebron

Dade County
06-06-2013, 03:02 PM
I am watching so I can see the HEAT organization hopefully raise another Championship banner (I'm from Dade County, so I want all South Florida entertainment sports teams, to do good).

And also, 10-15yrs from now, when everyone finds out that the NBA was rigged, and it all started when Stern took over, I can proudly comment on the subject at hand (because i wasn't blind like the rest of them).

Lots of Hall of fame players championships will be questioned at this point... I can't wait.

ztilzer31
06-06-2013, 03:25 PM

+1. Although I do think Memphis would of been interesting, the Spurs are the best all around team in the Western conference for sure. Especially after Westbrook got injured.

tr3ymill3r
06-06-2013, 03:31 PM
It's on TV and everything else runs reruns while it's on. I would have watched if it would have been Memphis Vs Indiana too.

Sly Guy
06-06-2013, 04:12 PM
this series will probably resolve a lot of question I have with regards to LBJ in comparing him with the other all-time greats. If he continues to get no support from Wade, Bosh and the rest of the supporting cast and wins, that's huge IMO. If he draws the spurs out to 6 or 7 games with no support, he's good. If he fails, then I'll have a hard time comparing him to the Kobe's or MJ's out there. If he does get support and they win, then these questions will be unresolved, but my opinion will raise slightly. If he gets support and they lose, then it drops dramatically.

This is LBJ's time to create his own legacy. Currently the best player on the planet in the prime of his career, if he's all he's cracked up to be, then he should DOMINATE this series. I guess we're about to see....

ManRam
06-06-2013, 04:35 PM
because the legacies of lebron and duncan interest me greatly
because i love watching the two best teams...and vastly different teams...go at it
because manu, tim and lebron have long been some of my absolute favorites
because i find neither team "boring" at all...in fact, they're 2 of my 4 favorite teams to watch.
and because i love watching good basketball

duncan is the best player of his generation. lebron is/will be the best player of his. them squaring up: epic

MrfadeawayJB
06-06-2013, 04:38 PM
I have no rooting interest but I will watch mainly due to the great players. Arugably the Best player in the last 10 yrs (Duncan) and most likely the Best player for the next ten years (James)

Lakers + Giants
06-06-2013, 04:46 PM
Why wouldn't i watch? this is the championship for my favorite sport. these are 2 great teams going at it. 2 of the top 10 players of all time going at it. Im a Lakers fan but an NBA fan first. The whole season leads up to this point. not watching the finals is stupid, especially if you consider yourself an nba fan. It's like watching a TV series and deciding not to watch the last episode because you don't like how the 2nd to last episode just ended. It might not be the ending everyone (trolls) wanted, but it is a great one.

jam
06-07-2013, 02:52 AM
Wow. This G1 just speaks for itself. Pure artistry. I jumped out of my chair like half a dozen times.

This game reminds me of why I love the game of basketball.

When you get two teams at this elite level, guys make extra=ordinary plays almost look ordinary.

kylem4711
06-07-2013, 03:14 AM
Im watching because lebron is great and the spurs are a model franchise.

tapajafri
06-07-2013, 04:04 AM
Wow. This G1 just speaks for itself. Pure artistry. I jumped out of my chair like half a dozen times.

This game reminds me of why I love the game of basketball.

When you get two teams at this elite level, guys make extra=ordinary plays almost look ordinary.

Really? This game got you that excited? I mean, that's good to hear.....but....the NBA from 10-20 years ago was WAYYYYYY more exciting than it is today.

jam
06-09-2013, 03:48 PM
I'm hooked. I'm in for every game. :)

JordansBulls
06-10-2013, 07:22 AM
I'm not

If you not watching finals what is the point of coming here to post?

pebloemer
06-10-2013, 08:14 AM
I enjoy watching basketball and get to watch it at the highest level with the most on the line. I don't understand why a basketball fan wouldn't want to watch the finals.

Hawkeye15
06-10-2013, 01:22 PM
because I love basketball, and enjoy watching the best play.

I also would like to see how the legacies of certain individuals is changed in this series.

rhd420
06-10-2013, 01:46 PM
it's the NBA ... sports are cyclical, nobody will pay attention to baseball till after the NBA finals - and this is the buffer realistically until the NFL/College Football season starts.

You're always going to have non-fans of sports - heck Soccer is the biggest sport in the world and yet the least interested in terms of US fans, but they can care less in terms of the players and owners in Europe, same with Formula one and NASCAR.

The NBA is still viable all over the world, even the NFL can't say that

RaiderLakersA's
06-10-2013, 03:56 PM
I could fabricate a reason here, but the truth is I'm only watching the NBA Finals, because it's not football season yet.

:sigh:

Riodagoat
06-10-2013, 04:01 PM
Been watching Lebron since before he was drafted. I loved TP when I saw him play in his rookie year.

Would love to see Lebron get another ring and it would sting quite a bit to see him lose in the finals again, but I Duncan is probably one of the fewest players In the league I wouldn't mind winning.

smith&wesson
06-10-2013, 04:08 PM
I'll watch because I'm an NBA fan and don't care all that much who wins but if the Spurs win I want Duncan to retire and end one of the best careers ever with a title, I don't think that would happen but I'd like to see him go out with a ring, if he won't retire with another ring I guess I'd like to see the Heat win. Lebron is one of the best ever so a few more rings would serve him well.

+1

I agree i dont think duncan will retire even if he wins this year. he is beasting. nothing suggests that he cant play another couple years.

Id also like to see lebron build on his legacy, so he can rightfully be compared to other all time greats

you and i agree on something wooooowwwwww :cheers:

smith&wesson
06-10-2013, 04:09 PM
because I love basketball, and enjoy watching the best play.

I also would like to see how the legacies of certain individuals is changed in this series.

+1

Tony_Starks
06-10-2013, 09:10 PM
Even though my team is out I love basketball. I would watch regardless of who's in it.

No hate in my blood, I have no problem with either team winning. Just want to see a good series.

sager729
06-10-2013, 09:34 PM
For **** like this.

Heat bench yelling at Gerald Green while taking a 3 pointer. (http://www.barstoolsports.com/boston/super-page/bench-guys-yelling-at-a-3-pt-shooter-is-so-miami-heat/)

FernandoDw
06-10-2013, 09:40 PM
Because its the championship :rolleyes:

jam
06-12-2013, 02:42 AM
This is shaping up as a classic. Potentially one of the greatest finals ever. :)

Goose17
06-12-2013, 05:55 AM
Because I'm a basketball fan.

Amazing finals as well, Spurs play the best team ball in the entire league and LBJ is a beast.

Goose17
06-12-2013, 05:57 AM
Because I like watching basketball?

This^

Weird question.

kobe4thewinbang
06-12-2013, 06:29 AM

We definitely have the two best teams in the league playing but for the first time in a long time, I'm not sure if I want to watch every game.Good grief, could you sound more pitiful? If you're as into basketball as much as you claim to be, why aren't you interested? You admit they're the two best teams in the league, and the Spurs play what most would consider classical "old school" basketball which I would expect you to appreciate.

I don't understand the need to call LBJ a "major douche" and since when do personalities matter? This isn't the Jersey Shore or UFC. I don't think Duncan's "average" charisma is going to stop him from being in the hall of fame someday because he is a great player.

Anyway, I'm rooting for the Spurs. They have a great system, a great no-nonsense coach, and I've liked them for years. They're also arguably the best team aside from the Lakers and Celtics. If they win (which I think they will) it will be their 5th championship and they will be undefeated in the Finals. They ended the Lakers dynasty, and despite those with ADD, the Spurs are a fundamental team in the NBA. Major metropolis? Who other than Commissioner Stern cares about that? If it's not exciting enough for you, go 200mph on the freeway.

Since the Lakers are my favorite team, I was hoping for a better Lakers/Spurs series, but Kobe went down and the gig was up. One could also say this series is old versus new, and it's likely that the San Antonio Spurs as we know them will be changing soon due to their withering core which is why it would be a great moment for them to win. I'm sure LBJ will win another title some time down the road.

Sorry you can't enjoy the series.

kobe4thewinbang
06-12-2013, 06:35 AM
Because I'm a basketball fan.

Amazing finals as well, Spurs play the best team ball in the entire league and LBJ is a beast.To be fair, LBJ hasn't gone into BEAST MODE yet. I really hope he does. If Spurs win Game 4, I'm sure LBJ will ferociously defy the low probability of Miami beating SA 3 consecutive times.

kobe4thewinbang
06-12-2013, 06:40 AM
For **** like this.

Heat bench yelling at Gerald Green while taking a 3 pointer. (http://www.barstoolsports.com/boston/super-page/bench-guys-yelling-at-a-3-pt-shooter-is-so-miami-heat/)That's Danny Green.

NYY09
06-12-2013, 07:14 AM
Mostly in hopes of watching the Heat get burned, you know, with all the "talent" they "brought to Miami"... :D

kobe4thewinbang
06-12-2013, 03:01 PM
Mostly in hopes of watching the Heat get burned, you know, with all the "talent" they "brought to Miami"... :DTheir bench is being exposed, and LBJ is playing way below his potential.