PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta Hawks could be in touble for tampering

HouRealCoach
06-05-2013, 11:00 PM
The Atlanta Hawks could be in some hot water for referring to Los Angeles Clippers guard Chris Paul and Los Angeles Lakers center Dwight Howard in a recent ticket promotion.

The Hawks may have violated the NBA's tampering policy by mentioning players who are under contract with another team. Atlanta reportedly is interested in pursuing Howard and Paul when they become unrestricted free agents on July 1.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported that the Hawks sent a sales letter to potential ticket buyers that named Paul and Howard. Hawks president Bob Williams acknowledged the mistake by a team ticket representative and called it unfortunate, He said the letter "does not represent how our basketball operations or our business staff have cosistently comunicated about free agency."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/chi-atlanta-hawks-tampering-20130605,0,834754.story

c.c.
06-06-2013, 12:12 AM
Better them than the Rockets

ldawg
06-06-2013, 12:45 AM
dont see the big deal both Clippers and Lakers are out the playoffs the both Cp3 and Howard will be free.

bholly
06-06-2013, 12:45 AM
http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?821727-Hawks-marketing-letter-mentions-Chris-Paul-and-Dwight-Howard-could-be-tampering

Kyben36
06-06-2013, 12:55 AM
Im not sure I really understand this, you mean you cant mention the fact that they are FA when you have money??. like, you mean if the heat would have written an internal letter mentioning lebron james before his Fa they would have been chanrged with tampering, I understand if they contact the players, but an internal letter, your kidding me, of course you know who they cleared cap space for, it surely wasnt for OJ mayo.

Cracka2HI!
06-06-2013, 01:21 AM
Im not sure I really understand this, you mean you cant mention the fact that they are FA when you have money??. like, you mean if the heat would have written an internal letter mentioning lebron james before his Fa they would have been chanrged with tampering, I understand if they contact the players, but an internal letter, your kidding me, of course you know who they cleared cap space for, it surely wasnt for OJ mayo.

What's not to understand? CP3 and Howard are under contract right now. The league year isn't over until July 1st.

Cracka2HI!
06-06-2013, 01:22 AM
I can see either CP3 or Howard leaving, I can see both of them leaving and I can see them both re-signing. I can't see them both going to the Hawks.

bholly
06-06-2013, 01:25 AM

It wasn't internal, it was to potential ticket holders. You can't publicly discuss trying to sign players who're under contract elsewhere. Of course there isn't really any harm here - it isn't saying anything that anyone doesn't already know, and doesn't harm or disadvantage the players or their current teams at all - but the rule is there for a reason, and by the letter of it this sounds like a breach.

bholly
06-06-2013, 01:30 AM
I can see either CP3 or Howard leaving, I can see both of them leaving and I can see them both re-signing. I can't see them both going to the Hawks.

It's plausible, I could see it, but it's def way out there. I could certainly see Dwight prioritizing playing with CP3, and ATL is prob the easiest place to do that. Problem is that it's hard to see CP3 prioritizing playing with Dwight, given his regression and all his personality stuff, particularly to go to a less desirable location and start from scratch with him. But all it takes is CP3 thinking better of Dwight than other people do, and deciding he wants to play with him, and then ATL becomes very realistic. Of course LAC would be more likely, but ATL would have a shot.

Cracka2HI!
06-06-2013, 01:47 AM
It's plausible, I could see it, but it's def way out there. I could certainly see Dwight prioritizing playing with CP3, and ATL is prob the easiest place to do that. Problem is that it's hard to see CP3 prioritizing playing with Dwight, given his regression and all his personality stuff, particularly to go to a less desirable location and start from scratch with him. But all it takes is CP3 thinking better of Dwight than other people do, and deciding he wants to play with him, and then ATL becomes very realistic. Of course LAC would be more likely, but ATL would have a shot.Spot on! I think if CP3 and Dwight really want to make it happen they'll both play for the Clippers. Dumping DJ and Butler's contract won't be as hard as people think. If that happens and CP3 and Howard take LeBron/Bosh/Wade type money the Clippers can afford both players. I don't think there is a chance hell that is going to happen...but I think it's slightly more likely than both players starting over in Atlanta.

Aust
06-06-2013, 02:26 AM
I think of it more in a pathetic way than a bad way.

bholly
06-06-2013, 03:20 AM
I think of it more in a pathetic way than a bad way.

lol, yeah, it is pretty sad.

Spot on! I think if CP3 and Dwight really want to make it happen they'll both play for the Clippers. Dumping DJ and Butler's contract won't be as hard as people think. If that happens and CP3 and Howard take LeBron/Bosh/Wade type money the Clippers can afford both players. I don't think there is a chance hell that is going to happen...but I think it's slightly more likely than both players starting over in Atlanta.

I think that's where we disagree. I don't think they can dump DJ and Caron that easily. Maybe if they include Bledsoe, but it's still a whole lot of money for teams to take on. Even if they got it down to Blake, Crawford, CP3, Dwight, and min players the rest of the way, they'd be looking at a cap figure of $64,240,368. The cap won't be that high, so it'd mean dumping Crawford as well, in which case you're super thin, or a million or two in salary cuts for Dwight and CP3, and who knows how that goes down? And all to get a team with two big men that probably don't fit that well together.
I think the more likely outcome if CP3 and Dwight want to play together is that the Clippers end up trading Blake. They could get a great return, prob ditch DJ and/or Caron with them, and build a proper team around the two stars. CP3+Dwight with a great and well-fitting supporting cast is better for the Clippers than CP3+Dwight+Blake with nothing, imo.
Maybe something like Blake+DJ+Caron for Al Horford and some picks. Then you've got no paycuts, and CP3/Dwight/Horford/Bledsoe/Crawford and picks are a better team than CP3/Dwight/Blake/nothing.
Or Blake and DJ for LMA and picks - again a better fit and saves Bledsoe+Crawford.
I don't know, I haven't thought about it too much, but I'm certain there are deals out there for Blake that would remove all doubt about paycuts and leave a supporting cast that make for a better team overall.

GThawks
06-06-2013, 09:08 AM
Spot on! I think if CP3 and Dwight really want to make it happen they'll both play for the Clippers. Dumping DJ and Butler's contract won't be as hard as people think. If that happens and CP3 and Howard take LeBron/Bosh/Wade type money the Clippers can afford both players. I don't think there is a chance hell that is going to happen...but I think it's slightly more likely than both players starting over in Atlanta.

Yeah you're really reaching there. If Dwight leaves the Lakers I doubt he would stay in LA and still you have to make all the moves just to have the cap room. If Paul leaves I think he would come to ATL and if Dwight wants to win Atlanta would be the best choice over Houston or the Lakers. Not sure how you think it's more likely they team in LA than ATL when we have the cap room and you don't. We'll just have to see how it plays out.

bholly
06-06-2013, 09:32 AM
Yeah you're really reaching there. If Dwight leaves the Lakers I doubt he would stay in LA and still you have to make all the moves just to have the cap room. If Paul leaves I think he would come to ATL and if Dwight wants to win Atlanta would be the best choice over Houston or the Lakers. Not sure how you think it's more likely they team in LA in ATL. We'll just have to see how it plays out.

If they want to play together, why would they choose Atlanta over LA, though? They're already established in LA, they'd have some supporting cast already together, and CP3 would be able to get more money that way. It's not like there's anything preventing LA from being able to do it - they could easily get the cap room by offering Blake, and they'd absolutely choose that over having CP3 walk. So why's it so unlikely?

GThawks
06-06-2013, 09:48 AM
If they want to play together, why would they choose Atlanta over LA, though? They're already established in LA, they'd have some supporting cast already together, and CP3 would be able to get more money that way. It's not like there's anything preventing LA from being able to do it - they could easily get the cap room by offering Blake, and they'd absolutely choose that over having CP3 walk. So why's it so unlikely?

Because they'd have to give up Blake and DJ and still there is no guarantee Howard will come...maybe he wants to get out of LA(Nobody knows what he's thinking). I know there have been rumors about Howard not wanting to come back to ATL because he didn't want to deal with family/friends but I think if Paul came he would too. Paul is also from NC and he did say he wanted to play for the Hawks out of college and could be closer to his family. I am not saying all this will happen but it really isn't a huge stretch or anything with all the cap room we have along with Horford and Williams.

bholly
06-06-2013, 10:07 AM
Because they'd have to give up Blake and DJ and still there is no guarantee Howard will come...maybe he wants to get out of LA(Nobody knows what he's thinking). I know there have been rumors about Howard not wanting to come back to ATL because he didn't want to deal with family/friends but I think if Paul came he would too. Paul is also from NC and he did say he wanted to play for the Hawks out of college and could be closer to his family. I am not saying all this will happen but it really isn't a huge stretch or anything with all the cap room we have along with Horford and Williams.

Well obviously they wouldn't trade Blake until Dwight was committed to signing, I thought that went without saying.
I think ATL's possible too, but I think it's less likely than LAC - two superstars moving to a new place rather than the city they're both already in, the biggest market in the league, where one gets more money automatically, it just doesn't seem like much of a contest.
As I said, I think Atlanta have a chance, but it would depend on CP3 prioritizing playing with Dwight and at least one of them really favouring Atlanta, and I haven't seen any evidence for either.

GThawks
06-06-2013, 12:01 PM
Well obviously they wouldn't trade Blake until Dwight was committed to signing, I thought that went without saying.
I think ATL's possible too, but I think it's less likely than LAC - two superstars moving to a new place rather than the city they're both already in, the biggest market in the league, where one gets more money automatically, it just doesn't seem like much of a contest.
As I said, I think Atlanta have a chance, but it would depend on CP3 prioritizing playing with Dwight and at least one of them really favouring Atlanta, and I haven't seen any evidence for either.

Well have you heard any rumors about Paul and Howard teaming up with the Hawks or the Clippers? I haven't heard anything about them teaming up with the Clippers other than from hopeful Clippers fans and I have never seen Howards named linked to the Clippers.

I doubt anybody knows where either are favoring...I bet both are keeping their options open haven't decided what they're going to do yet.

bholly
06-06-2013, 12:36 PM
Well rumors don't really mean anything, particularly when reason and logic suggests something else would happen - and even more so when, as you say, they prob haven't even made up their minds yet. I'm not going to begrudge you for keeping hope alive for your team, though. Good luck.

bholly
06-06-2013, 09:31 PM
lol, yeah, it is pretty sad.

I think that's where we disagree. I don't think they can dump DJ and Caron that easily. Maybe if they include Bledsoe, but it's still a whole lot of money for teams to take on. Even if they got it down to Blake, Crawford, CP3, Dwight, and min players the rest of the way, they'd be looking at a cap figure of $64,240,368. The cap won't be that high, so it'd mean dumping Crawford as well, in which case you're super thin, or a million or two in salary cuts for Dwight and CP3, and who knows how that goes down? And all to get a team with two big men that probably don't fit that well together.
I think the more likely outcome if CP3 and Dwight want to play together is that the Clippers end up trading Blake. They could get a great return, prob ditch DJ and/or Caron with them, and build a proper team around the two stars. CP3+Dwight with a great and well-fitting supporting cast is better for the Clippers than CP3+Dwight+Blake with nothing, imo.
Maybe something like Blake+DJ+Caron for Al Horford and some picks. Then you've got no paycuts, and CP3/Dwight/Horford/Bledsoe/Crawford and picks are a better team than CP3/Dwight/Blake/nothing.
Or Blake and DJ for LMA and picks - again a better fit and saves Bledsoe+Crawford.
I don't know, I haven't thought about it too much, but I'm certain there are deals out there for Blake that would remove all doubt about paycuts and leave a supporting cast that make for a better team overall.

Update to this: cap is expected to be $58.5m. Dwight+Blake+CP3 and the required cap holds for 9 unfilled roster spots would mean $59,994,109 in salary. So even if they cut everyone but Blake, and filled the roster with vet min guys, Dwight and CP3 would have to take ~$1.5m in paycut between them.
That's only a projected cap figure, so things could end up better, but I think it further supports the idea that they'd move Blake rather than try and keep all three.

Cracka2HI!
06-06-2013, 11:32 PM
I would actually move Blake for Howard. I'd hate it but I'd do it. Especially if it meant keeping CP3. I don't think the franchise will move Blake. Period. He is too valuable as a cash cow. Say what you will but the dude is really popular. He's either 1st or 2nd with LeBron IMO. I really don't think Howard is coming to the Clipps, but there ain't a chance in hell if they have to move Blake to do it.

Chitownhero1992
06-07-2013, 12:13 AM
I hope they don't get in trouble for that it was probably just some interns stupid mistake. Fire the guy get it over with...this is just Stern trying to keep the powerhouse teams together.

I really wanna see Paul and Howard together that would be awesome (just not in Atlanta or any Eastern Conference team). They would be a terrific duo together.