PDA

View Full Version : Who fell off the cliff quicker and why in particular? Brandon Roy or Gilbert Arenas

JordansBulls
06-05-2013, 12:04 PM
Who fell off the cliff quicker and why in particular? Brandon Roy or Gilbert Arenas

Not really a comparison of who was better but whose decline shocked you more so?

heyman321
06-05-2013, 12:10 PM
More surprised by Arenas, I mean, he didn't even injure himself, he just got suspended. He's only 31, I think he should give the NBA another shot.

kgformvp21
06-05-2013, 12:13 PM
You don't know why either of them fell off? Ones a thug and ones has horrible knees................????

IndyRealist
06-05-2013, 12:20 PM
Brandon Roy didn't really fall off. When he played he was still good, he just couldn't stay on the court.

kingjaymes23
06-05-2013, 12:22 PM
Roy was plagued by a terrible knee injury. Arenas was just a thug

colinskik
06-05-2013, 12:26 PM
Being a "thug" doesn't suddenly cause you to lose your ability to ball. When he was good, he was still a "thug."

Bravo95
06-05-2013, 12:27 PM
Gilbert used to be awesome :laugh2:, hate it had to be him.

cle12152433
06-05-2013, 12:34 PM
Gilbert. After the gun thing, it was like BAM! gone. Roy steadily got worse and worse and at least he tried to give it another shot with Minnesota this year.

Becks2307
06-05-2013, 12:45 PM
I miss gilbert Arenas in his prime, he did not give a ****..man thos pull up 3s from the parking lot were sick

Twins Fanatic
06-05-2013, 12:53 PM
Brandon Roy's fall off was excusable, can't really do anything about not having cartilage. Arenas doesn't really have an excuse; he's just a bum, but was still fun to watch.

ztilzer31
06-05-2013, 12:53 PM
Roy... Arenas suffered from a piss poor attitude. I got to meet Roy when he was a Husky, and he was very down to earth, and extremely polite. Real class act. He was also good (but not great) at everything. Played good defense, could distribute, and was a good rebounder for a guard.... Makes me sad that he can't play in the NBA :(. No one should feel bad for Arenas. He brought all this on himself.

kozelkid
06-05-2013, 01:18 PM
Arenas didn't get worse cause he was a "thug." He got worse cause he also had knee issues and constantly needed to get them drained. In fact, the contact extension was a terrible idea given that he was already having those knee issues.

tr3ymill3r
06-05-2013, 01:20 PM
Roy - injury
Arenas - clown
done.

king4day
06-05-2013, 01:24 PM
Since Roy was forced to retire, he gets a pass. I would go with Arenas since he was having battles with the Cavs and Lebron. Never would have thought he'd fall so far so quick. Seems that once he got his new deal, he called it a career.

2-ONE-5
06-05-2013, 01:26 PM
Brandon Roy's fall off was excusable, can't really do anything about not having cartilage. Arenas doesn't really have an excuse; he's just a bum, but was still fun to watch.

this

flea
06-05-2013, 01:26 PM
Agent Zero wasn't even a thug he's just a moron whose game relied on peak athleticism, and he probably didn't take very good care of his body (again because he's a moron).

sep11ie
06-05-2013, 01:29 PM
Do you really have to ask why Roy fell off? Sometimes I seriously wonder about you JB...

Burgo
06-05-2013, 01:31 PM
Roy was hurt, Arenas dug his own grave.

*Superman*
06-05-2013, 01:55 PM
I remember reading an interview of Arenas when he was on the Magic and he mentioned something like, he was scared to jump. I think it was a mental thing with him, he never got over it and never would reach what he once was.

It's also a shame he is going to make 20+ million this year for not doing a damn thing. :pity:

And yeah, how can you compare him to Roy? If he his knees were fine you can damn well bet he'd still be playing.

b@llhog24
06-05-2013, 05:25 PM
Roy

LakersIn5
06-05-2013, 06:27 PM
at one point, arenas averaged around 30ppg. damn!

Asik's better
06-05-2013, 07:07 PM
Arenas easily. And it was all because of his crappy attitude. But apparently he is happy and playing well in china so good for him

lamzoka
06-05-2013, 07:13 PM
one had bad knees, and the other one was on the cover of nba live

BLAME EA SPORTS :)

jayjay33
06-05-2013, 07:16 PM
You people need to stop arenas fell off for the same reason Roy did injury. He tore his mcl and had micro and was never the same. Gil was one of the quickest players I have ever seen. And after the injuries he looked like Fred G. Sanford trying to run down to court.

I think he tried to comeback to soon and made it worst. Shoulda pulled a D.Rose.

JordansBulls
06-05-2013, 07:21 PM
You people need to stop arenas fell off for the same reason Roy did injury. He tore his mcl and had micro and was never the same. Gil was one of the quickest players I have ever seen. And after the injuries he looked like Fred G. Sanford trying to run down to court.

I think he tried to comeback to soon and made it worst. Shoulda pulled a D.Rose.

This is my point, should they had waited a full year and came back? Similar thing happened with Penny Hardaway as well.

j-bay
06-05-2013, 07:47 PM
Guys here is alittlle history lesson for you. Arenas suffered a knee injurie in 07-08 where he only played 8 games and various injuries in 08-09 and didn't play till March. I will say the injuries killed his career, while the suspension finished him off.

RB#20
06-05-2013, 07:51 PM
Arenas didn't get worse cause he was a "thug." He got worse cause he also had knee issues and constantly needed to get them drained. In fact, the contact extension was a terrible idea given that he was already having those knee issues.

Unbelievable how this doesn't get mentioned until the 12th ****ing post. They both had serious injuries but only Arenas is remembered for the weapons thing which happened 2 years after his MCL injury when he wasn't even the same player. Brandon Roy was arguably the 3rd best SG at the time before he went down. Arenas was really good for those years he battled with LeBron though. I would have liked to see Roy finish healthy. Could have been elite and many good defenders in the league claimed he was the toughest player in the NBA to guard. I would have to vote for Agent Zero here for being more surprising because although Roy could have been elite, Arenas was already elite before his injury. Roy gets my vote for quickest fall though. It was literally like he was in the league one day putting up over 25ppg and the next day his career was over.

Shlumpledink
06-05-2013, 08:10 PM
Arenas is stupid. He always was a stupid player, and it kind of carried over into his personal life. I imagine work ethic was a problem with Arenas. I recall him having knee troubles of his own, which made it harder for someone who relied on athleticism to be great to stay relevant. He could get hot and go for 40, but no one would call him a very good shooter. He didn't have a basketball "game" that would age well and it's showed.

He was more of an undersized shooting guard than a point guard, and losing athleticism isn't going to help that any. To be undersized and successful you have to either have an insanely great motor, a lot of skill, or a very smart player. Arenas had neither of these qualities.

Brandon Roy on the other hand, is a tragedy. Bad knees, everybody that plays basketball deals with that, but his knees were a lot older than he was. It's a shame because he actually is an intelligent baller and had a game that could age well if only his body would allow it.

Hawkeye15
06-05-2013, 08:17 PM
Arenas seemed to lose the need to get better after he entered elite, and just regressed because he had so many issues. Roy's knees doomed him. No doubt, if healthy, Roy would still be a top 2 SG.

jayjay33
06-05-2013, 08:18 PM

This is my point, should they had waited a full year and came back? Similar thing happened with Penny Hardaway as well.

Well Roy's was degenerative. So his goose was cooked by DNA. But Gil, I think did come back way to early. And that made the problem become chronic and messed up his career. But make no mistake both guys lost their careers to injuries.

ThaDubs
06-05-2013, 08:21 PM
Agent 0 was so sick

MrfadeawayJB
06-05-2013, 11:25 PM
Sprewell

DreamShaker
06-06-2013, 03:39 PM
Both were shocking for different reasons.

Roy had red flags with his knee coming into the leauge, so the fact that he crumbled physically was always a possibility. I do think most people either forgot that, or took it for granted, once the Blazers hype took off. That core of Roy/Oden/LA looked UNFAIR. The fact that LA is the only guy left standing after only a few years is both sad and shocking.

Arenas really was fun to watch. It was sad to watch him unravel like that emotionally and physically at the same time. I think that was more shocking to see his image and health fall off at the same time. Scoring point guards have never really lasted as long, though.

DreamShaker
06-06-2013, 03:42 PM
Sprewell

That was just weird. Retiring because he wasnt getting paid enough, and lgetting NO paycheck and eventually going broke. Really strange stuff.

sep11ie
06-06-2013, 03:52 PM
JB, who fell off the map quicker, Roy or T-Mac, and why?

Fresno
06-06-2013, 04:19 PM
Arenas.

Not sure where this "thug" stuff is coming from when if you've seen him behave you'd know he was nothing short of a moron but far from any sort of "thug".

Also when did he live off of athleticism? He was a quick PG but don't forget he was 6'4 210-215lbs back before the league made it almost a priority for each team needing a 6'4 PG. With one of the best pull-up jumpers in the league shooting off the dribble. If he didn't get hurt he would still be putting up the same numbers of nearly 25+PPG. Its almost no comparison really to Roy.

You can make an argument that Roy never truly became an Elite player before he fell off.

JasonJohnHorn
06-06-2013, 04:42 PM
Roy obviously fell of quicker, but it was due to injury.

Arenas didn't really fall off. It's just score-first point guards who are high volume/low percentage shooters never last long in the NBA. They just don't. Teams don't win with that blue print unless the player is VERY special... Marbury, Francis, Arenas, Jennings... when lottery teams don't have options they let these guys do whatever they want, but once they become competitive, these players hurt their teams so the teams move forward. It's not so much that Arenas fell off, just that the teams he got moved to didn't let him shoot as much as the Wizards did because they were good teams.

Roy's fall in production was due to injury. Arenas' was just a pattern that is present with most score-first PGs and comparing the drop offs of these two players is not really productive since it was for drastically different reasons and they were drastically different players.

tr3ymill3r
06-06-2013, 04:58 PM
Who comments the worse on the forums? JB or DoMeFavors?

RB#20
06-06-2013, 08:27 PM
Who comments the worse on the forums? JB or DoMeFavors?

In this thread, the worst post is directly above yours by JasonJohnHorn. At no point has he ever seen Gilbert Arenas play judging by that post. It is so completely misinformed it's sickening. You're telling me that the 2 teams that signed him afterwards didn't want one of the most dangerous scoring PG's to score as much points because they were better without his scoring capabilities? And that his career slaughtering injuries had no play in this matter? You do know one of those teams was the Magic who would use Dwight Howard as a decoy so that the rest of the team can jack up 3's all the time right? And they didn't want Agent Zero....a guy who had a nasty outside shot......to score as much? I can't believe that this forum was actually better when the general consensus was that Dirk Nowitski was the 3rd best PF of all-time.

b@llhog24
06-06-2013, 08:39 PM
At their peaks, they were comparable players.

Mr.ATLHawks
06-06-2013, 08:40 PM
Arenas seemed to lose the need to get better after he entered elite, and just regressed because he had so many issues. Roy's knees doomed him. No doubt, if healthy, Roy would still be a top 2 SG.

This. Arenas wasn't that great of a shooter and his game was predicated on athleticism
. Sure he got hot once in awhile, but after the knees those once in whiles became once in a blue moon. This pretty much happens to most players who don't develop their game to compensate for other things they will loose over time. Im sure we could all name alot of players this has happened to; McGrady, Steve Francis, Stephon Marbury, Vince(although Vince has since tightened his game up), im sure there are tons of others. Sure players like Rose and Westbrook are great to watch because they fly around the court and do amazing things in the air but what happens when the vertical is just average, and that jumpshot is still average to below average? That's when players show their true colors, and either work hard dilligently at their game or fade into oblivion, or most recently China..

tapajafri
06-07-2013, 03:56 AM
Steve Francis

yaswaggin
06-07-2013, 10:02 AM
Agent zero was my favorite player to watch, after the injury he was never the same

TheNumber37
06-07-2013, 10:13 AM
arenas has a worse rep than Iverson.

he needs to do a year overseas and showcase... but as his age he def should be a gunner of the bench for a team that needs a jolt of 15ppg... which I can't understand he's not able to do.

NYCkid12
06-07-2013, 10:38 AM
Still can't believe the magic trade for Arenas........

kgformvp21
06-07-2013, 06:42 PM
Having guns in your locker room is pretty"Thug". Gambiling in the locker room and getting into confrontations with guns is pretty "Thug". Maybe he is more stupid than thuggish, but he def is a little thug.

'