PDA

View Full Version : Karl Malone wouldn't pick Jordan to start a team

OceanSpray
06-05-2013, 12:05 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/karl-malone-leaves-michael-jordan-off-time-starting-002126880.html

What do you think about it?

Utd7
06-05-2013, 12:07 AM
No surprise he hates him.

Hawkeye15
06-05-2013, 12:11 AM
cool.

oak2455
06-05-2013, 12:15 AM
Malone is wasted

PurpleJesus
06-05-2013, 12:21 AM
MJ is great, but everyone somehow has turned him into this mythical being that is beyond criticism. Yeah he is the GOAT, but anytime someone has something negative to say about him, a cult following is so quick to say you can't say anything bad about him. I do wonder how MJ's image would have differed if he were to play in this eras age of youtube, and media ready to jump on anything negative about a player. I imagine it would be Kobe type hate, multiplied by ten, since Jordan is ten times the player...the flopping MJ did over his career (flopping has always been a part of the game, and always will be), the calling out of teammates, the womanizing, the gambling...everything would have been amplified so much more in todays era.

bucketss
06-05-2013, 12:28 AM
MJ is great, but everyone somehow has turned him into this mystical being that is beyond criticism. Yeah he is the GOAT, but anytime someone has something negative to say about him, a cult following is so quick to say you can't say anything bad about him. I do wonder how MJ's image would have differed if he were to play in this eras age of youtube, and media ready to jump on anything negative about a player. I imagine it would be Kobe type hate, multiplied by ten, since Jordan is ten times the player...the flopping MJ did over his career (flopping has always been a part of the game, and always will be), the calling out of teammates, the womanizing, the gambling...everything would have been amplified so much more in todays era.

great post, the jordan throne polishers might get a bit butt hurt over this though.

LongWayFromHome
06-05-2013, 12:32 AM
Didn't he say this on the DP show a while ago and we had threads about it?

JerseyPalahniuk
06-05-2013, 12:43 AM
His team was:

PG: Stockton
SG: Oscar
SF: Pippen
PF: Lebron
C: Wilt

btw. Nothing wrong with that. He's a hall of fame player. He can have his own opinions

Pippen and no Jordan — really?
“Scottie Pippen led the team in every statistical category while he was there without Michael Jordan,” Malone explained. “That’s why I have to put him there. So now you know.” [...]

JordansBulls
06-05-2013, 12:51 AM
He pretty just picked the 5 superstars he liked the most. Otherwise how can you explain no MJ, Magic, Bird, Russell, Duncan, Hakeem, Shaq, etc.

PurpleJesus
06-05-2013, 12:55 AM
He pretty just picked the 5 superstars he liked the most. Otherwise how can you explain no MJ, Magic, Bird, Russell, Duncan, Hakeem, Shaq, etc.

You can explain no Duncan, Russell, Hakeem or Shaq by having Wilt, and also that you can't pick 5 centers for your team...pretty easy explanation...

OceanSpray
06-05-2013, 01:00 AM

Imo, he just picked a team that has teamwork and defence. I don't think Jordan would've fit with this team because he was a huge ballhog. Everyone on the team that Malone chose were smart players who played as a team their entire career except Wilt. I'd have Hakeem instead but it's his opinion. Malone is a top 20 player, can't argue with his choice.

ztilzer31
06-05-2013, 01:05 AM

I think he was just trying to give props to Pippen. Scottie was always an underrated player, and doesn't get half the respect he deserves.

JordansBulls
06-05-2013, 01:31 AM

Imo, he just picked a team that has teamwork and defence. I don't think Jordan would've fit with this team because he was a huge ballhog. Everyone on the team that Malone chose were smart players who played as a team their entire career except Wilt. I'd have Hakeem instead but it's his opinion. Malone is a top 20 player, can't argue with his choice.

That's not a smart team. Everyone of those players are accustomed to having the ball and making plays. You pretty much take away there biggest strength here.

HeaTxRipZz
06-05-2013, 02:08 AM
Would Scottie and Lebron even work well on the same team? Ehh I can't agree with Malone leaving out Jordan, Magic or Bird. While you can say Jordan was a ballhog I think they all did a great job on the dream team. Give Jordan a player like Magic or Stockton on his team I think he would have more rings when it was all said and done.

I do get the feeling that Malone omitted those guys because they are the most praised and for good reason.

Supreme LA
06-05-2013, 04:09 AM
I think he was just trying to give props to Pippen. Scottie was always an underrated player, and doesn't get half the respect he deserves.

This.

The fact that the majority of PSD somehow has Wade ranked ahead of Pippen all-time is just absurd. Wade is nowhere near the player Pippen was during those SIX championships.

HeaTxRipZz
06-05-2013, 04:41 AM
This.

The fact that the majority of PSD somehow has Wade ranked ahead of Pippen all-time is just absurd. Wade is nowhere near the player Pippen was during those SIX championships.

Was the same way in the 90s. Pippen has always been VERY underrated compared to his actual talent. Great Passer, Scorer and Defender.

Avenged
06-05-2013, 05:12 AM
It doesn't matter. Many people wouldn't. Many people would. It's a non story imo.

Trueblue2
06-05-2013, 05:17 AM
Would Scottie and Lebron even work well on the same team? Ehh I can't agree with Malone leaving out Jordan, Magic or Bird. While you can say Jordan was a ballhog I think they all did a great job on the dream team. Give Jordan a player like Magic or Stockton on his team I think he would have more rings when it was all said and done.

I do get the feeling that Malone omitted those guys because they are the most praised and for good reason.

IMO Scottie and Lebron would be a better fit than Scottie and Jordan. Pippen has already shown he can allow someone else to be the primary ball handler and still play at an elite level even if that means his individual numbers might not be as good as they could have been otherwise. Jordan being the primary ball handler and scorer didn't really keep Pippen from playing an efficient, effective game even if it did limit the amount of opportunities he had to shine. Playing with Lebron, who is a more willing facilitator than Jordan was, would only increase Pippens open looks and opportunities to prove himself as an elite player. The thing that made Pippen great is also the thing that makes people under rate him, he understood that he wasn't the best player on his team so he tailored his game toward being an efficient, reliable, and elite second option at the expense of individual statistics. Having Pippen, who truly understood what it meant to be an elite 2nd option, alongside a primary ballhandler/scorer like Jordan/Lebron is a much better fit than having 2 (or 3) first options on the same team. He was more than capable of being a first option elsewhere or trying to be option 1B on his own team, but he realized that in order to give his team the best chance to win that he had to work toward making himself the best 2nd option he could be. And that's extremely rare for a player as talented as he was.

Not to mention defensively the combination of those two would be unstoppable. They'd be able to absolutely shut down any two players 1-4, paired with a defensive minded center they would be damn near impossible to score on.

I'm not sure I would have Stockton on the same team as Lebron though, one of them would have to not handle the ball and it would take them out of their element and hinder their game. If I were to put together a team with team oriented ball on my mind I'd probably go.

Allen
Miller
Pippen
Lebron
Russell

Not the most talent you could have on the court at one time (assuming you could pick any player that ever played in the NBA or ABA), but you have two guards that are knock down outside shooters that don't need to take the ball up the court to be effective. Pippen, who is one of the only truly elite 2nd options (as opposed to option 1B). Lebron handling the ball and facilitating. And Russell scoring down low and playing dominant defense. I contemplated having Billups over Allen playing PG out of position.

Knowledge
06-05-2013, 05:28 AM
Its his opinion. Not everyone views Jordan as the greatest and that is fine. It is nice to see Scottie actually get some props in a thread for once instead of it being something negative involving a quote of his.

Quite honestly, as great as MJ was, his legacy outshines his teammates too much and Scottie is overlooked far too often. Jordan needed Scottie like Shaq needed Kobe and like Lebron needs (a healthy) Wade.

TrueFan420
06-05-2013, 08:34 AM

Agreed I got into a massive argument with some fool trying to tell me Scottie didnt belong in the top 50 greatest players ever. He could do it all and would have easily been considered a superstar and first option talent if not in the shadow of Jordan.

BklynKnicks3
06-05-2013, 08:56 AM
Iam not a fan of either but the fact that wade won a finals mvp as the man avgin 36 with a watered down shaq give him a clear edge. Pippen was the ultimate robin but he did not have the game of a batman he just didnt.
This.

ChiSox219
06-05-2013, 09:04 AM
Man Jordan elevated his teammates like few ever have maybe Magic, Bill Walton, Duncan, and a handful of guys could enter that conversation. If MJ isn't in your starting lineup it's probably because he whooped your *** in the Finals, twice.

Max.This
06-05-2013, 09:10 AM
great post, the jordan throne polishers might get a bit butt hurt over this though.

Sir, you're throwing out the words "throne polishers" when you get a hard on everytime you talk about Lebron.

ChitownSports16
06-05-2013, 09:26 AM
Dude is stilll butt hurt...

kdspurman
06-05-2013, 09:45 AM
Karl Malone ‏@TheDeliverer_32 3m
Calm down little grasshoppers, if you people don't think MJ is in my top 5 you have to hear the whole interview.

Karl Malone ‏@TheDeliverer_32 2m
Dan Patrick had a man crush on MJ from the time we started the interview. I was just messing with him.

There you have it....

FYL_McVeezy
06-05-2013, 09:58 AM
This.

The way Pippen is Underrated on this board is disgusting.....excellent two way player, one of the best lock down defenders ever, and Jordan doesn't win **** w/o Pip....

Wilson
06-05-2013, 10:16 AM
MJ is great, but everyone somehow has turned him into this mythical being that is beyond criticism. Yeah he is the GOAT, but anytime someone has something negative to say about him, a cult following is so quick to say you can't say anything bad about him. I do wonder how MJ's image would have differed if he were to play in this eras age of youtube, and media ready to jump on anything negative about a player. I imagine it would be Kobe type hate, multiplied by ten, since Jordan is ten times the player...the flopping MJ did over his career (flopping has always been a part of the game, and always will be), the calling out of teammates, the womanizing, the gambling...everything would have been amplified so much more in todays era.

I think you're right about this, to an extent. Playing in a big market as well, early-career-Jordan probably would have been ripped to shreds in the modern day NBA (I still think he would have been as succesfull though). But still, if you're creating an all-time starting five, I think you have to start with Jordan. I agree that he's not a million miles better than everybody else, but he's still the best.

I think Malone just didn't want to pick his rivals. Jordan beat him in two finals, so he's out. Karl never caught up with Kareem's points total, so he's out. Tim Duncan is a popular choice for best power forward of all time, so he's out. You can make a case for Stockton being the best PG ever (although I still would take Magic), plus he was Malone's team-mate so that seals his place.

I think if you were trying to make a team based on the best players for each position, Jordan would have to be there, without a doubt. LeBron will be there by the time he retires as long as he stays away from injury but you can't put him there now. Plus, when he does make it, he goes in the SF spot, not PF. How can you put him at PF when he has shown such a reluctance to post up?

If you were making the best team that would actually function (in other words, have stars and role players), I think you need to look at some of the teams that actually existed, like the 60s Celtics, '86 Celtics, '87 Lakers or '96 Bulls.

So I have to say I pretty much disagree with Malone's team completely :p

I think there is probably some truth to this. Pippen definitely doesn't get as much credit as he deserves. But you can still have him on the team with Jordan.

Jarvo
06-05-2013, 10:30 AM

This! Alot of people said they wouldn't pick Jordan to start a team, Didnt Jackson just did also.

tr3ymill3r
06-05-2013, 10:45 AM
I'm surprised he didn't put Robert Horry on there. Malone is still mad that he got the ball stolen prior to "The Shot" He blames Jordan for not getting the ring, didn't put Olajuwon on there because he knows he's not in his league. He couldn't really put Kobe, Shaq, GP or himself because we all remember how that panned out.

netsgiantsyanks
06-05-2013, 10:49 AM

it's not about the players, it's about how well they work together.

netsgiantsyanks
06-05-2013, 10:51 AM
I'm surprised he didn't put Robert Horry on there. Malone is still mad that he got the ball stolen prior to "The Shot" He blames Jordan for not getting the ring, didn't put Olajuwon on there because he knows he's not in his league. He couldn't really put Kobe, Shaq, GP or himself because we all remember how that panned out.

or maybe he just has a different opinion. crazy, right?

ghettosean
06-05-2013, 10:52 AM
Didn't MJ take out Karl Malone and Stockton in the NBA finals...

I think someones a little Jelly :laugh:

Muttman73
06-05-2013, 10:56 AM
Non issue, Malone was nothing special anyway...a multiple time finals loser, get over it

JordansBulls
06-05-2013, 11:03 AM
it's not about the players, it's about how well they work together.

How does that team work well together when you got 4 guys who need the ball in there hands to be effective and one guy who wants the ball all the time in the post. Lebron and Wilt would have a very difficult time working together with how much Wilt wants the ball and how much Lebron controls it.

Sandman
06-05-2013, 11:04 AM
He picked Oscar Robinson over Jordan pretty much... can't really ***** THAT much can you?

ackar
06-05-2013, 11:07 AM

With the exception of Russell all those above mentioned players stopped Malone from getting a ring ding ding ding!!!!

Hawkeye15
06-05-2013, 11:18 AM

While I think Jordan is the undisputed GOAT, you are exactly right here.

matt_the_hulk
06-05-2013, 11:23 AM
We'll play fantasy matchup haters... I'll give you the 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th overall picks and give me the 2nd, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th pick and have the teams face off.

I dare you guys to let Jordan slip to 2. It would not be wise...

Man, I really wish this could play out.

DcIuTbKsA
06-05-2013, 11:34 AM
1. Jordan
2. Gretzky
3. Ruth
4. Rice (Jerry)
5. Pele

Coached by Ditka

JordansBulls
06-05-2013, 11:36 AM
There you have it....

Even if true, still doesnt explain why he doesn't have Magic as his PG or why he didn't have Duncan as the PF.

rapjuicer06
06-05-2013, 11:51 AM
Rival his team with

Magic
Jordan
Bird
Duncan
Hakeem

Its not a big deal. Malone just wanted to say something to get attention, and it worked.

KingPosey
06-05-2013, 11:51 AM
First off, who cares what Karl Malone said? Secondly, anyone on here that has paid attention to Karl Malone over the years would know that Karl Malone would say this just to say it. He has always been willing to stir the pot, and willing to take a player down a peg because he is competitive and doesn't want to give them credit. KM would say it just to be a turd in a heart beat.

rapjuicer06
06-05-2013, 12:02 PM

Your sig is ridiculous. At the age of 28 Michael Jordan was in the league a year less than Lebron and Kobe and still has around the same numbers. Also, one of those years MJ only played 18 games. Why don't you equal the same amount of years in the league and Jordan has another MVP, finals MVP and another ring

kdspurman
06-05-2013, 12:10 PM
Even if true, still doesnt explain why he doesn't have Magic as his PG or why he didn't have Duncan as the PF.

Stockton was his teammate, and I don't think he'd ever put Tim on there.

Bravo95
06-05-2013, 12:11 PM
People are reacting like he picked Hornacek over MJ. :laugh2:

WTF ZOMG THAT IDIOT LOLZ WHAT A LOSER!

JasonJohnHorn
06-05-2013, 12:11 PM
This needs to be put into context. Malone's starting line-up had the following players:

SG: The Big O
PF: LBJ

Now, the Big O not only averaged nearly a triple-double on his career, but he was also respected as the best defensive player at his position. His all-around game was arguably more impressive than Jordan's, and since Malone has Wilt on the team, there is no need for a 30+ point scorer. AS for Magic, with so many other scorers on the team, that roster would do well with Stockton at the point. As for rebounding, Wilt is perhaps the greatest rebounder of all time, and with Pippen and the Big O who were great rebounders for their position, and LBJ a solid rebounder, this team should be set.

I'm no saying I agree with what Malone said, but It would be hard to put together a roster with a better starting five than what he did.

I personally think that roster would be better with Duncan or Garnett at power forward, but I don't think Malone wants to give them too much credit.

Sandman
06-05-2013, 12:13 PM
1. Jordan
2. Gretzky
3. Ruth
4. Rice (Jerry)
5. Pele

Coached by Ditka
1. Jordan
2. Ditka

oh hell, thats already unfair.

Sandman
06-05-2013, 12:16 PM
How does that team work well together when you got 4 guys who need the ball in there hands to be effective and one guy who wants the ball all the time in the post. Lebron and Wilt would have a very difficult time working together with how much Wilt wants the ball and how much Lebron controls it.

You say that like they are 4 ball hogs that need to shoot to be effective. Wouldn't Jordan make this worse? 3/4 of those guys are 3/4 (Magic) of the best distributors of all time. And you're worried about Scottie Pippen dominating the ball? Come on.

thesprite
06-05-2013, 12:22 PM
There are 5 stages of grief. Apparently, Malone couldn't get past the first stage after 15 years. The Mailman delivered!

Cannon7
06-05-2013, 12:23 PM
He's on espn 1000 in Chicago right now saying he said it to annoy Dan Patrick.

todu82
06-05-2013, 12:47 PM
I know Malone maybe bitter over losing 2 titles to Jordan but really; Leave Jordan off your all-time starting lineup? come on now.

dhopisthename
06-05-2013, 01:23 PM
from espn

"Dan Patrick had a man crush on MJ from the time we started the interview. I was just messing with him," he tweeted.

calmunderfireKO
06-05-2013, 02:03 PM
Ever notice that the players who trash on Jordan are from his era and usually beat the crap out of them in the 90s?

Pippen, Sally, Malone, etc.

Sorry, Jordan was in the league you couldn't get your ring or be the alpha player. He left for 2 years and then y'all had your shot before he came back. Then you guys blew it and let Hakeem take a trash roster to the championship.

Sorry azz losers.

kozelkid
06-05-2013, 02:07 PM

Your sig is ridiculous. At the age of 28 Michael Jordan was in the league a year less than Lebron and Kobe and still has around the same numbers. Also, one of those years MJ only played 18 games. Why don't you equal the same amount of years in the league and Jordan has another MVP, finals MVP and another ring

Well that wouldn't fit his agenda, now would it? :laugh2:

Sandman
06-05-2013, 03:02 PM
Ever notice that the players who trash on Jordan are from his era and usually beat the crap out of them in the 90s?

Pippen, Sally, Malone, etc.

Sorry, Jordan was in the league you couldn't get your ring or be the alpha player. He left for 2 years and then y'all had your shot before he came back. Then you guys blew it and let Hakeem take a trash roster to the championship.

Sorry azz losers.
I remember those series against Scottie, MJ always pwned him

calmunderfireKO
06-05-2013, 03:08 PM
I remember those series against Scottie, MJ always pwned him

Ok. Dude. I was referring to Scottie's jealousy that Jordan got all the credit. In addition, to Jordan kicking the crap out him and the Bulls in practice.

ILLUSIONIST^248
06-05-2013, 03:18 PM
Sir, you're throwing out the words "throne polishers" when you get a hard on everytime you talk about Lebron.

:laugh: This. Buckets is a fail.

sammid21
06-05-2013, 03:23 PM

Do you have proof that MJ ever flopped, i watched most of his career and not once did i see a flop.

ILLUSIONIST^248
06-05-2013, 03:33 PM
Didn't MJ take out Karl Malone and Stockton in the NBA finals...

I think someones a little Jelly :laugh:

There are 5 stages of grief. Apparently, Malone couldn't get past the first stage after 15 years. The Mailman delivered!

^

ILLUSIONIST^248
06-05-2013, 03:35 PM
Do you have proof that MJ ever flopped, i watched most of his career and not once did i see a flop.

Jordan never flopped. These psd kids are funny.

jerellh528
06-05-2013, 04:41 PM
I'm sure jordan wouldnt pick malone either

MDD
06-05-2013, 04:58 PM
That's actually a great team they all do every thing well without having to dominate the ball everybody can

His team was:

SG: Oscar
PF: Lebron

bucketss
06-05-2013, 04:59 PM
People are reacting like he picked Hornacek over MJ. :laugh2:

WTF ZOMG THAT IDIOT LOLZ WHAT A LOSER!

some guy one here said oscar doesn't even deserve a comparison to jordan LMAFO.

jerellh528
06-05-2013, 05:01 PM
some guy one here said oscar doesn't even deserve a comparison to jordan LMAFO.

Lebron is today's version of oscar but with a better defense. Great players.

SteveNash
06-05-2013, 05:29 PM
Malone appreciates passing and defense and doesn't want a ballhog like Jordan messing with the team, what's wrong with that?

ChicagoJ
06-05-2013, 05:34 PM
Apparently Malone said he purposely left off Jordan becase Patrick had a man crush on Jordan. Malone has been asked this before too and left Jordan off. I'm pretty sure he doesn't like the hype Jordan has always gotten.

tredigs
06-05-2013, 08:47 PM
Malone appreciates passing and defense and doesn't want a ballhog like Jordan messing with the team, what's wrong with that?

Other than Jordan's passing ability and shut-down D? Nothing.

Anyway, Malone admitted he was trolling and said of course Jordan is in his top 5.

c.c.
06-05-2013, 09:18 PM
If it wasn't for MJ, he would probably have a championship so his attitude towards MJ is screw him!

c.c.
06-05-2013, 09:20 PM
I'm sure jordan wouldnt pick malone either

Lol I was thinking the same thing

RB#20
06-05-2013, 10:43 PM

lol Mookie Blaylock actually got fined for saying something negative towards MJ during a playoff series. It wasn't even that serious either or anything vulgar. It was along the lines of "I guess if you're Michael then everything is acceptable..." and the NBA fined him like 50k. The only thing is that everything MJ did back in the 90's was under microscope. If social media existed back then there would be Jordanbook. He would have been deified. MJ did receive TONS of hate from fans outside of Chicago though. It wasn't until he retired that everyone agreed that he was the GOAT. When his father died it was as if someone shot the president. It was on every channel. Jordan went through social media before social media so I don't think anything would have been amplified all that much. Also, he didn't flop. He didn't need to. Every single call went his way. I can only remember two games where I saw him in foul trouble during his entire career, 1 against the Suns in the finals and 1 against the Knicks when he came back. If I were to start a team with 5 players there aren't too many scenarios where I would build the team without Jordan - if taking chemistry into account.