PDA

View Full Version : Should the Heat franchise and its fans thank the Los Angeles Lakers franchise?

NeverSayNevur
06-04-2013, 10:47 PM
First of, and I'm sure the real Heat fans (without the '10ers) will admit, that the Heat success within the past decade or so starts and ends with one man, the so-called "Godfather", Pat Riley. We can all agree with that, no?

In the summer of 2004, Riley was able to pull off the trade for O'Neal that brought the team at very least some short term success. That move alone, culminating with the championship in 2006, put the Heat franchise back into the basketball map and into semi-relevancy.

In the summer of 2010, the man singlehandedly created the current Heat dynasty, with the trio of LeBron, Wade, and Bosh, probably in contention as one of the greatest 3 headed monster of all time, if their success continues.

Along with that, he is able to acquire the right role players to complement his superstars and create even more complete and formidable teams. From James Posey and Antoine Walker to Ray Allen, Shane Battier, and Mike Miller, Pat Riley has always been able to provide legitimate backup players to ensure that his Heat teams didn't completely rely on superstar power. Or as the Heat fans today like to say, "Discounted".

How did Riley acquire such skill to build championship teams? From nothing but the best. From serving an "internship" with the Lakers in the 80s, under the tutelage of the great GM Jerry West, and from observing the way Jerry Buss attracted big name players, Pat Riley was able to create his own legacy, by applying the same exact blueprint into building the Heat championship teams.

He figured out how to utilize a "big 3" into its full potential, with the trio of Johnson, Abdul-Jabbar, and Worthy as his prototype model. And the Heat trio right now might even surpass what the former had accomplished.

In essence, the Miami Heat is slowly becoming the Eastern Conference Lakers.

In short, the Heat would not be where they are today without Pat Riley. Where would they be, had Jerry Buss decide not to gamble on some broadcast commentator to be the Lakers coach in 1981? Without Dr. Buss, Riley may have never had this chance of a lifetime.

Something to think about.

Pierzynski4Prez
06-04-2013, 10:59 PM
They should thank Pat Riley not the Lakers.

koreancabbage
06-04-2013, 11:01 PM
Even though people will say Bosh Lebron and Wade 'conspired' to join the same team, I don't think people are giving enough credit to Riley to convince all three to play in Miami.

He made sure he had all the cap space to do so.

I don't know what the big issue is when they say they have screwed over the game of basketball when teams have signed 1-2 stars in summers all the time. Realistically, if it wasn't for the decision by James on broadcasted tv, i don't think they would get nearly half the hate they get now.

NeverSayNevur
06-04-2013, 11:02 PM
They should thank Pat Riley not the Lakers.

Without the Lakers, there would be no Pat Riley. At least not the Riley we know today.

JerseyPalahniuk
06-04-2013, 11:05 PM
Summary of his fantastic logic:

Heat are dope
Pat Riley made the Heat
Pat Riley learned this from Jerry West/Buss
Jerry Buss owns the Lakers

Thus, Lakers made the Heat dope.

Seems legit.:clap:

sammid21
Despite what heat fans think, I don't give Riley that much credit in getting the big 3 to team up, they already planned to play together. Riley just had cut and trade player for basically nothing. Other players such as ray Allen and battier wanted to ring chase, so it was easy to get them. The only way Riley should get credit in getting the big 3 is if he advised wade to befriend lebron since the 03 draft in order to later on get wade to convince lebron to team up

bholly
He 'singlehandedly' created the Heat dynasty?

Wasn't that more LBJ/Bosh/Wade wanting to team up with each other than anything Riley did? It isn't like he was the only one who went into 2010 free agency prepared, or like he made some amazing moves to get there. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's bad or anything, but lets not go overboard on crediting him with some master plan that nobody else could've come up with.

The Flash
06-04-2013, 11:10 PM

Heat are dope
Pat Riley made the Heat

:up:

ryang
06-04-2013, 11:15 PM
No we shouldn't. But cool story. Who should Jordan thank?

NeverSayNevur
06-04-2013, 11:15 PM
One misstep during that offseason, and 2 of your big 3 could've ended up in Brooklyn or Chicago.

It was more than them "wanting to play together". Yeah, but where?

RB#20
06-04-2013, 11:17 PM
......what?

t_money25
06-04-2013, 11:24 PM
Lol....are you serious?? No disrespect to the Lakers and their fans but HELL NO they don't deserve any thanks. With this logic, I guess the Lakers should thank the Bulls for teaching Phil Jackson everything he knows.....

beasted86
06-04-2013, 11:30 PM
Yes, thank you Lakers. Without you the Miami HEAT would not even be semi-relevant.

We would just be a pack of bandwagon Kobephiles abandoning our local team.

Big Zo
06-04-2013, 11:39 PM
We should all thank Osama Bin Laden for the national security we have today.

RB#20
06-04-2013, 11:39 PM
Is this a joke? Is this really what goes down in this forum? These joke threads? non-stop and ****? While we're at it, what happens first - Chris Bosh making a basket or a guy with no hands rolling a Yahtzee?

dee279
06-04-2013, 11:41 PM
So basically, eventhough the Lakers are not relevant at the moment, you want the heat fans or think the heat fans should thank the Laker Organization for making the Heat what they are today? Hmm. No thanks.

beasted86
06-04-2013, 11:42 PM
Is this a joke? Is this really what goes down in this forum? These joke threads? non-stop and ****? While we're at it, what happens first - Chris Bosh making a basket or a guy with no hands rolling a Yahtzee?

No this is not a joke, and there is NOTHING AT ALL wrong with the high quality of content in the PSD NBA Forum.

NeverSayNevur
06-04-2013, 11:46 PM
Lol....are you serious?? No disrespect to the Lakers and their fans but HELL NO they don't deserve any thanks. With this logic, I guess the Lakers should thank the Bulls for teaching Phil Jackson everything he knows.....

With or without Phil, the Lakers have already made their mark in the history books.

The heat have 0 legacy outside of what Pat Riley has done.

dee279
06-04-2013, 11:48 PM
I will thank Patty Ice though. Thanks Pat Riley. 2 championships and a possible 3rd in 10 years of being a fan sounds good to me. I will also thank my favorite player in D Wade, the best player in the league in Lebron, the Raptor Chris Bosh, Shaq from our 06 team and every complimentory player that i do not feel like listing. I thank every person who is responsible. Lakers does not quite makes my list though.

NeverSayNevur
06-04-2013, 11:52 PM
I will thank Patty Ice though. Thanks Pat Riley. 2 championships and a possible 3rd in 10 years of being a fan sounds good to me. I will also thank my favorite player in D Wade, the best player in the league in Lebron, the Raptor Chris Bosh, Shaq from our 06 team and every complimentory player that i do not feel like listing. I thank every person who is responsible. Lakers does not quite makes my list though.

The Lakers *did* agree to trade Shaq to you guys. So...

t_money25
06-04-2013, 11:56 PM
With or without Phil, the Lakers have already made their mark in the history books.

The heat have 0 legacy outside of what Pat Riley has done.

That's fine. The Heat's legacy is being written right before you're very eyes. Enjoy greatness. Maybe you should stop suggesting the Lakers deserve credit for something they have absolutely nothing to do with. No disrespect to Lakers fans.

LongWayFromHome
06-05-2013, 12:03 AM
The Lakers *did* agree to trade Shaq to you guys. So...

By this logic the Lakers should thank the NO Pelicans' fans and franchise for their 5 most recent ships...

dee279
06-05-2013, 12:03 AM
I thank Kobe for that more than the Lakers. No Kobe *****in, no Shaq to the heat sooo...

thesprite
06-05-2013, 05:39 AM
I thank Kobe for that more than the Lakers. No Kobe *****in, no Shaq to the heat sooo...

I would thank MJ, because if not for him Kobe would not be Kobe. Nice chain-game OP. So much free time for you I think

Puck017
06-05-2013, 06:04 AM
I think its gotta be James Naismith that gets all the credit in this thread. If it wasn't for him we could all be talking about handball right now.

PhillyFaninLA
06-05-2013, 06:52 AM
TC the Eastern Confernece Lakers as you stated are the Boston Celtics.

The Heat are the Heat and no they should not thank the Lakers for anything.

The Lakers and Celtics have won more games and more championships then any other.

PhillyFaninLA
06-05-2013, 06:53 AM
Without the Lakers, there would be no Pat Riley. At least not the Riley we know today.

So one of the best front office people and coaches of all time could not have done it with another team.

Good to know.

archdevil84
06-05-2013, 07:19 AM
I thank Pat Rileys parents for having *** and creating Pat riley

lpdunks8
06-05-2013, 12:06 PM
You can make a better case for needing to thank Michael Beasley for being a bust. If he even made it to borderline all-star level; he would have gotten a big extension. With that, they wouldn't have been able to sign all three.

3RDASYSTEM
06-05-2013, 06:24 PM
LAKERS should be thanking MIKAN and MINNY for winning those 5 rings outside of LA to make it closer to BOSTON

take those 5 away and RUSS matches WEST-BEAN-MAGIC combined in rings

RUSS is the GOAT

Hawkeye15
06-05-2013, 07:59 PM

Heat are dope
Pat Riley made the Heat

boom

FOBolous
06-05-2013, 08:32 PM
I think heat fans should thank Riley's elementary school teachers since they mentored him during his formulative years when he was still young and impressionable