PDA

View Full Version : Kawhi Leonard

Jdawg
06-04-2013, 09:23 PM
This guy deserves his own thread. He is going to be in the spotlight for the first time in these NBA Finals and people who don't regularly watch the Spurs are going to be surprised. He is truly the 3rd best player on the Spurs right now ahead of Manu.

From ESPN (http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/9341509/kawhi-leonard):
"At only 21, Leonard has become the Spurs' third star in these playoffs behind Tim Duncan and Tony Parker and ahead of Manu Ginobili. He's their second-best rebounder, their steals leader, and their second-best shooter (56.5 percent). And with arms like a squid and hands the size of waffle irons, their best perimeter defender."

I'm looking forward to the Kawhi love fest that will soon be upon us...

D-Leethal
06-04-2013, 09:59 PM
I hope he shines.

bucketss
06-04-2013, 10:00 PM
i would like to welcome all the new spurs fans.

Slug3
06-04-2013, 10:04 PM
And let's not forget he gets the bulk of guarding Lebron. I really like him, but he is going to have to go all out on D for Lebron.

kdspurman
06-04-2013, 10:06 PM
This was a really good read on him. Had it tough coming up. Sad story

You pronounce San Antonio Spurs star Kawhi Leonard's first name "Kuh-why." And yet Leonard refuses to make "why" a part of his life anymore.

Why was his dad murdered that Friday night five years ago at the Compton, Calif., car wash he owned?

Why has no one been arrested?

Why has not even one witness cooperated with the police?

"Man, I just try not to think about it," says the 6-foot-7 Leonard, who was 16 when his dad was shot and killed. "It was in L.A. Murders happen out there and nobody ever finds out. It is what it is, I guess."

Teeboy1487
06-04-2013, 10:10 PM
He's no match for Lebron I'm afraid.

ChitownBears22
06-04-2013, 10:13 PM
Kawhi is going to get murdered by Lebron. He is going to make a name for himself, as the guy who cost the Spurs a championship. Guy is garbage on defense.

Jarvo
06-04-2013, 10:15 PM
To be fair you can't stop Lebron only hope you can contain him and he will have his moments and shine, Have nothing but faith in him.

Jarvo
06-04-2013, 10:16 PM
Kawhi is going to get murdered by Lebron. He is going to make a name for himself, as the guy who cost the Spurs a championship. Guy is garbage on defense.

Yeahhh rigggghttt.

bucketss
06-04-2013, 10:17 PM

always had an impression he was a great defender, he will still probably get murdered by lebron though.

kdspurman
06-04-2013, 10:18 PM
Some people aren't even reading the article, just talking about what the guy can't do. :pity:

Jarvo
06-04-2013, 10:21 PM
Sucks what happen to his dad :( but you know he plays hard for him and to make him proud.

True Sports Fan
06-04-2013, 10:28 PM

I'm assuming sarcasm or you've never watched Leonard before..

ChitownBears22
06-04-2013, 10:28 PM
Some people aren't even reading the article, just talking about what the guy can't do. :pity:

No I read the synopsis and the OP's thoughts. That is what my reaction is on. Guy is going to have some problems containing LeBron.

JerseyPalahniuk
06-04-2013, 10:29 PM
Wow, sad story. They might not be related at all but it could explain his quiet demeanor. Just read about Brian Shaw's story yesterday as well after researching up on him now that he's become a candidate for the Nets position.

There must be something special that Pop sees in him to warrant the very kind words used throughout his career (him being a Franchise cornerstone, raving about how much he enjoys coaching him, etc). Pop has been a Father figure to both Duncan and Parker (in multiple interviews I've seen them reference that) and I'm sure he is becoming that sort of figure to Leanord. I'll be rooting for him just as much as I did for Paul George. He could be a most improved player candidate very soon either next year or after Duncan retires.

JerseyPalahniuk
06-04-2013, 10:34 PM
No I read the synopsis and the OP's thoughts. That is what my reaction is on. Guy is going to have some problems containing LeBron.

Dude. he is talking about his father's death. And there is a big difference between "having some problems containing Lebron" and "guy is garbage at defense" I DARE you to find me one article saying anything like that. He is far far far away from garbage on defense. OF COURSE he will have problems guarding the best player in the league but that doesn't mean he's "garbage."

b@llhog24
06-04-2013, 10:34 PM
always had an impression he was a great defender, he will still probably get murdered by lebron though.

1) He is a great defender
2) Bron is probably gonna eat him for lunch.

Hellcrooner
06-04-2013, 10:40 PM
He coudl be the KEY for S.A winning the ring.

IN a fantasy world where Refs didnt have orders to make Star calls.

In the real world, he is gonna get torched.

TheNumber37
06-04-2013, 10:40 PM
all NBA fans need to know is that the spurs traded George Hill to the Pacers for Kwahi. George Hill in turn is not even the 3rd best player on his team.

ChitownBears22
06-04-2013, 10:43 PM
LeBron 33/5/10 in his only game against Leonard.

And yes I think Leonard isn't good on defense. I gets alot of help D from Duncan, and good luck with that in this series with Duncan having to guard Bosh. It will be a quick dish for a dunk or a quick pass to bosh that forces timmy to close out leaving the paint open. Bosh and LeBron are going to own this series. And it will be because of Leonard.

Max.This
06-04-2013, 10:50 PM
some of you fruits have an unsettling fascination with Lebron's golf balls. He doesn't even know your name or that you even exist. Try and maintain a little dignity for yourself so your not known as some nut hugger on a forum

BALLER R
06-04-2013, 10:53 PM
why do heat fans never give other players respect. Leonard is far from garbage.

ChitownBears22
06-04-2013, 10:56 PM
why do heat fans never give other players respect. Leonard is far from garbage.

I have. Leonard's defense isn't that great though. He relies on help D too much. He is still young and can improve but at this point of his career (reality) it is not great.

JerseyPalahniuk
06-04-2013, 10:58 PM

And yes I think Leonard isn't good on defense. I gets alot of help D from Duncan, and good luck with that in this series with Duncan having to guard Bosh. It will be a quick dish for a dunk or a quick pass to bosh that forces timmy to close out leaving the paint open. Bosh and LeBron are going to own this series. And it will be because of Leonard.

I am not disagreeing with any way that Lebron will still dominate in this series but :speechless: for you thinking he's garbage on defense. You do realize he was drafted FOR his defensive prowess by the Spurs. I don't think San Diego State had a Duncan behind him.. Literally any article that mentions Kwahi Leanord talks about his defense. Do you think Coach Pop is a legitimate source? Do you think Bruce Bowen was a good defender?

“It’s huge for us to have a guy on the team that can do similar things to what Bruce [Bowen] did in the past,” Popovich said. “This young man’s got a lot to learn, but he’s very willing, very versatile, and I think he’s got the ability to be one heck of a player.”

-that's LAST year as a Rookie. He's in his 2nd year now and only 21 years old. I

I am not saying he will shut down Lebron in any way but don't say the Spurs are going to lose BECAUSE of Leanord and that his defense is garbage.

ChitownBears22
06-04-2013, 10:58 PM
Oh and look at what Barnes did to him. Fricken Harrison Barnes. And he had a very tough assignment with Prince.....sarcasm. And Pondexter looked like a real NBA player against Leonard.

b@llhog24
06-04-2013, 10:59 PM

Well that explains why his Synergy numbers are so good.

JerseyPalahniuk
06-04-2013, 11:00 PM
I have. Leonard's defense isn't that great though. He relies on help D too much. He is still young and can improve but at this point of his career (reality) it is not great.

LOL I like how you went from "garbage" to "isn't good" to "isn't that great." Keep on changing your words hahaha.

ChitownBears22
06-04-2013, 11:00 PM
I am not disagreeing with any way that Lebron will still dominate in this series but :speechless: for you thinking he's garbage on defense. You do realize he was drafted FOR his defensive prowess by the Spurs. I don't think San Diego State had a Duncan behind him.. Literally any article that mentions Kwahi Leanord talks about his defense. Do you think Coach Pop is a legitimate source? Do you think Bruce Bowen was a good defender?

It will be Leonard needing Duncan's help D that will open Bosh up for easy points.

-that's LAST year as a Rookie. He's in his 2nd year now and only 21 years old. I

I am not saying he will shut down Lebron in any way but don't say the Spurs are going to lose BECAUSE of Leanord and that his defense is garbage.

It will be Leonard needing Duncan's help D that will open Bosh up for easy points.

ChitownBears22
06-04-2013, 11:03 PM
LOL I like how you went from "garbage" to "isn't good" to "isn't that great." Keep on changing your words hahaha.

Note to self. Approve diction through JerseyPalahniuk.

ChitownBears22
06-04-2013, 11:05 PM
Well that explains why his Synergy numbers are so good.

What the **** are synergy numbers? I don't do advance stats (never have). I have watched Leonard a lot while with the Spurs, I own quite a few autographed rookie cards of him (so I have a stake in him) but his defense isn't good.

JerseyPalahniuk
06-04-2013, 11:08 PM
Note to self. Approve diction through JerseyPalahniuk.

Note to self: Never respond to Chitownbears with a legitimate post. He will respond to a long post and just repeat one line from something he had already said earlier, thinking it refutes every argument I made.

ChitownBears22
06-04-2013, 11:10 PM
Note to self: Never respond to Chitownbears with a legitimate post. He will respond to a long post and just repeat one line from something he had already said earlier, thinking it refutes every argument I made.

No it is an opinion thread. I stated my opinion. It will be that way until Leonard proves otherwise. I didn't say he was doomed to fail for the rest of his life, just that he is currently no a good defender (using the term garbage, which means the same thing)

b@llhog24
06-04-2013, 11:12 PM
What the **** are synergy numbers? I don't do advance stats (never have). I have watched Leonard a lot while with the Spurs, I own quite a few autographed rookie cards of him (so I have a stake in him) but his defense isn't good.

Basically numbers that track the amount of possessions a player defends a specific set and the amount of times they do so. It accounts for help defense (or at least tries to). For instance, he holds opponents to 36% from the field in iso situations, 38% on the PnR ball handler, and 38% overall.

Aside from them, literally every single defensive metric shows him being a plus defender.

JerseyPalahniuk
06-04-2013, 11:14 PM
It's actually a discussion forum, where you discuss each other's points about players/teams. You already said the exact same thing multiple times without providing any evidence whatsoever. I provided quotes from an All-time coach, ballhog referred to statistical evidence, and you just said "Nah he sucks bc Duncan helps him, Lebron is gonna dominate him, he is garbage" atleast 4 times. That's not "discussing" haha.

That's great you have an opinion, but the only thing you have backing it up is that the greatest player in the NBA scored 33/5/10 against him in one game. That to you means he is a garbage defensive player.

ChitownBears22
06-04-2013, 11:14 PM
Basically numbers that track the amount of possessions a player defends a specific set and the amount of times they do so. It accounts for help defense (or at least tries to). For instance, he holds opponents to 36% from the field in iso situations, 38% on the PnR ball handler, and 38% overall.

Aside from them, literally every single defensive metric shows him being a plus defender.

Does it tell you what the other offensive player does that his help defender leaves? Because that is what hurts him, and has all season. I like the guy, but he is a liability in this matchup.

ChitownBears22
06-04-2013, 11:15 PM
It's actually a discussion forum, where you discuss each other's points about players/teams. You already said the exact same thing multiple times without providing any evidence whatsoever. I provided quotes from an All-time coach, ballhog referred to statistical evidence, and you just said "Nah he sucks bc Duncan helps him, Lebron is gonna dominate him, he is garbage" atleast 4 times. That's not "discussing" haha

That is the reason I feel his is garbage. His need for help on D makes him a liability. I guess that is hard for you to understand.

b@llhog24
06-04-2013, 11:16 PM
The Spurs allow roughly 5 more points when he sits down vs him being on the floor.

JerseyPalahniuk
06-04-2013, 11:16 PM
Does it tell you what the other offensive player does that his help defender leaves? Because that is what hurts him, and has all season. I like the guy, but he is a liability in this matchup.

ISO means isolation aka one on one aka no help defender.

b@llhog24
06-04-2013, 11:19 PM
Does it tell you what the other offensive player does that his help defender leaves?

My brain is on E right now, what are you asking? Looks off to me for some reason.

Because that is what hurts him, and has all season. I like the guy, but he is a liability in this matchup.

He's not a liability, there are worse defenders to put on Bron. But Bron is gonna get his.

b@llhog24
06-04-2013, 11:20 PM

Lol.

ChitownBears22
06-04-2013, 11:21 PM

Yeah what is his ISO to help-d percentages which would give you an overall picture on how much help-d he recieves. Those numbers by themself don't prove anything (talking fg% in situations)

b@llhog24
06-04-2013, 11:21 PM
http://mysynergysports.com/

You could explore the site a bit for yourself.

b@llhog24
06-04-2013, 11:22 PM
Yeah what is his ISO to help-d percentages which would give you an overall picture on how much help-d he recieves. Those numbers by themself don't prove anything (talking fg% in situations)

It eliminates all possessions that would be considered "help."

JerseyPalahniuk
06-04-2013, 11:23 PM

I give up.

b@llhog24
06-04-2013, 11:24 PM
For instance, if Parker gets beat on a PnR and the offensive player scores while TD is in the paint. That would have no bearings on TDs Synergy numbers, but it'd bring down Parkers.

Swashcuff
06-04-2013, 11:38 PM
I give up.

I don't need a single basic, advanced, rocket science or whatever the hell kind of stat their could possibly be to tell me that Kawhi Leonard is a good defender. My eye test, Pop (one of the greatest coaches ever), Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, etc have all praised his D, I've heard about him value defensively at damn near every Spurs telecast that I watched this season, heard post game and pre game analysts speak on it and it sure as hell doesn't hurt that he received a D Team vote (http://www.nba.com/2013/news/05/13/all-defensive-team-official-release/index.html).

http://www.48minutesofhell.com/kawhi-leonard-spurs-defense

Anyone saying Kawhi is garbage defensively don't know what basketball is tbh.

IversonIsKrazy
06-05-2013, 12:08 AM
First of all, plz stop replying to that ChiTownBears guy who has Heat Up on his sig lol.

Now to the point, Leonard is simply a player that every coach wants. A humble guy, who's work-ethic is tough to find and plays defense the way he does. I think his father passing away is what makes him such a quiet, humble guy, I honestly thought that just happened by playing alongside Duncan.

Nonetheless, if Popovic saw something so special in him, says he plays defense that is as good as Bruce Bowen, and he's only 21, kid has a bright future, and couldn't have been in a better organization to grow in. Hope he breaks out in the Finals!

Jdawg
06-05-2013, 12:59 AM
Oh and look at what Barnes did to him. Fricken Harrison Barnes. And he had a very tough assignment with Prince.....sarcasm. And Pondexter looked like a real NBA player against Leonard.

LOL.. Did you see what Leonard did to Klay Thompson after Pop switched Leonard to Klay after his big game 2?

Jdawg
06-05-2013, 01:04 AM
This thread is just getting started.. please come back here to share the love for Mr. Leonard once you actually see him play in some games.

The best thing about him is that he will study, study, study the hell out of a gameplan and buy into it 100%. If the Heat make the mistake of putting a little guy on him (Chalmers, Cole or maybe even Wade) Leonard can make them pay in the post. So yes, please put Bron on Parker. Also, he's an excellent cutter away from the action so if Bron looks to help or not guard Leonard then that would be a mistake as well. His corner 3 is money. And he's a one man fast break.

Jdawg
06-05-2013, 01:15 AM
ESPN cranking out the Leonard articles:
http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2013/story/_/id/9343320/2013-nba-finals-kawhi-leonard-san-antonio-spurs-ready-guard-lebron-james

Jdawg
06-05-2013, 01:16 AM
That 7'3" wingspan is going to help and I don't think Lebron will be able to post Leonard who is stronger than Paul George.

sunsfan88
06-05-2013, 08:09 AM
Leonard is definitely a good up and coming player but the timing of this thread is horrible. LeBron James is going to demolish Leonard on offense and LeBron is going to have Leonard on lockdown on D.

Leonard is good and he would shine if he was playing against ANY other team in the NBA, just not the Heat because of LeBron.

kdspurman
06-05-2013, 08:31 AM
Leonard is definitely a good up and coming player but the timing of this thread is horrible. LeBron James is going to demolish Leonard on offense and LeBron is going to have Leonard on lockdown on D.

Leonard is good and he would shine if he was playing against ANY other team in the NBA, just not the Heat because of LeBron.

The timing of the thread was fine and it was regarding an article that was just written about him, including some of the hardships he had growing up. Unfortunately, people aren't paying attention to that, simply talking about Lebron is going to destroy him and ultimately derailing the thread.

kdspurman
06-05-2013, 12:38 PM
To those interested, check out this sports science video on Kawhi's defense

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_hwXL8JHdKM#!

AlexTmz2
06-05-2013, 12:56 PM
Great read. Kawhi has turned into quite a player for the Spurs. He's the leading rebounder for them and has made an impact even on the offensive end. Not to mention, he's even become my favorite player!. And ive never had favorites since ive rooted for the Spurs. Ive always liked all the Spurs equally as a TEAM.

He's got a tough task in these finals, but what better way than to shine against the greatest player in the world. Hopefully he comes through for us. :win:

* It's the quite guys you should fear :D

JerseyPalahniuk
06-05-2013, 01:03 PM
Great read. Kawhi has turned into quite a player for the Spurs. He's the leading rebounder for them and has made an impact even on the offensive end. Not to mention, he's even become my favorite player!. And ive never had favorites since ive rooted for the Spurs. Ive always liked all the Spurs equally as a TEAM.

He's got a tough task in these finals, but what better way than to shine against the greatest player in the world. Hopefully he comes through for us. :win:

* It's the quite guys you should fear :D

Dude. that quote in your sig is awesome. Don't know why I was surprised after reading all about his incredible work ethic but that's crazy, he brought two LAMPS from home? hahaha

AlexTmz2
06-05-2013, 01:06 PM
^ I know, his work ethic is amazing.

* Sorry, second leading rebounder and 1st in steals. :D

Stinkyoutsider
06-05-2013, 01:37 PM
Tough draw for Leonard because he's going to be guarding Lebron on a regular basis...

If he's good at running through screens, then I believe he can do a solid job guarding him. His problem will be the same as Paul George's though. When Lebron gets fed up with being on the perimeter and goes into the post, Leonard is doomed. I think George was doomed in the Heat's last series when Lebron went down low and I think Leonard is going to be in the same boat.

Leonard will have a good series offensively as long as he hits his open 3s.

Joshtd1
06-05-2013, 02:25 PM

Wanted to reply to this before I read rest of thread. Leonard barely spent any time on Barnes the whole series. He was on Thompson games 3-6 locking him down, and time on Curry..locking him down when he did. Most of Barnes points came off posting up Gary Neal and Tony Parker, and knocking down open 3's.

Pondexter was making spot up three tbh...don't remember him covering Pondexter much either.

SanAntonioSpurs23
06-05-2013, 02:29 PM
Leonard will have his fair share of Lebron, but I honestly think youll see him on Wade a lot. Im sure Pop is going to use a similar strategy ala 2007. Lebron is going to get his, but if you limit the roles of Wade and Bosh the odds are in your favor. Leonard can have much more success containing Wade as opposed to LBJ. Let Green, Manu, and probably Diaw get destroyed by Lebron.

5ass
06-05-2013, 02:49 PM
His entire rookie year, he drove a Chevy Malibu. This year he finally bought a Porsche. But he still drives the Malibu more. "It gets good gas mileage," he tells incredulous friends.

I love this quote.

Kenny
06-05-2013, 02:54 PM
Leonard will have his fair share of Lebron, but I honestly think youll see him on Wade a lot. Im sure Pop is going to use a similar strategy ala 2007. Lebron is going to get his, but if you limit the roles of Wade and Bosh the odds are in your favor. Leonard can have much more success containing Wade as opposed to LBJ. Let Green, Manu, and probably Diaw get destroyed by Lebron.

comparing anything to 2007 is idiotic. And if you don't put Leonard on Lebron you would have to send so much help to Lebron's defender it's going to open up three point shooters

ILLUSIONIST^248
06-05-2013, 03:54 PM

Says the second year Heat fan.

Jdawg
06-05-2013, 05:02 PM
Wanted to reply to this before I read rest of thread. Leonard barely spent any time on Barnes the whole series. He was on Thompson games 3-6 locking him down, and time on Curry..locking him down when he did. Most of Barnes points came off posting up Gary Neal and Tony Parker, and knocking down open 3's.

Pondexter was making spot up three tbh...don't remember him covering Pondexter much either.

Leonard is stronger than George and the spurs system is good at defending the post. So I'm hopeful that lbj won't be as effective in the post as he was vs George and pacerss who didn't send any help. Smh.

ClearSoulForce
06-05-2013, 05:17 PM
I see you are a Knicks fan. You probably idolize Shumpert and call him a great defender.

BTW Leonard is better than Iman Shumpert by miles in every facet of the game.

justinnum1
06-05-2013, 05:22 PM
I see you are a Knicks fan. You probably idolize Shumpert and call him a great defender.

Stop overrating Leonard.

GiantsSwaGG
06-05-2013, 05:23 PM

:facepalm:

GiantsSwaGG
06-05-2013, 05:24 PM

Shumpert is a better shooter now but Leonard is better than Shump and that's not even a debate!

ClearSoulForce
06-05-2013, 05:27 PM
Stop overrating Leonard.

How am I overrating him? He is a MUCH better scorer than Iman, a better rebounder, a better defender, more athletic, a better passer, shooter, slasher...

The guy is a monster and he;s only 21.

Oh I forgot, only people who play for the Heat are relevant... ****ing Heat fans.

GiantsSwaGG
06-05-2013, 05:29 PM
How am I overrating him? He is a MUCH better scorer than Iman, a better rebounder, a better defender, more athletic, a better passer, shooter, slasher...

Oh I forgot, only people who play for the Heat are relevant... ****ing Heat fans.

He's not a better shooter but he's better at everything else. I'd choose Leonard over Shump easily

sunsfan88
06-05-2013, 06:03 PM
The timing of the thread was fine and it was regarding an article that was just written about him, including some of the hardships he had growing up. Unfortunately, people aren't paying attention to that, simply talking about Lebron is going to destroy him and ultimately derailing the thread.
I apologize, I just read the OP saying that Leonard will shine in the Finals and that simply won't happen. I thought that's what this thread was about.

But yes the things he went through growing up is incredible. Quite the warrior. He has a very bright future in this league especially if he stays in SAS for the long run and continues to develop under Pop.

Jdawg
06-05-2013, 06:16 PM
I am excited for all the causal NBA fans to get a chance to see Kawhi Island.

Swashcuff
06-05-2013, 06:32 PM
That 7'3" wingspan is going to help and I don't think Lebron will be able to post Leonard who is stronger than Paul George.

LeBron only really posted George in one game however. I like Leonard's length and defended his D earlier in this thread but IMO Paul George is a better defensive player than him. Don't know about the strength aspect either, that's one of the major reasons George made such a solid leap defensively this season, he got much stronger than he was when he came into the league.

Swashcuff
06-05-2013, 06:36 PM

The defender and athlete part are debatable, lets be real here Shumpert himself is a helluva an athlete and aint no slouch as an individual defender. In those two aspects I'd give Shumpert the edge on Kawhi, everything else Kawhi probably has him. I'd also give Shumper the edge as a passer as well.

LeBron James is a monster Kawhi is an extremely talented player with decent upside.

Jdawg
06-05-2013, 07:01 PM
http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb358/jmellis85/kawhiisland_zps3e51cc79.jpg

Shlumpledink
06-05-2013, 07:28 PM
I remember he was highly featured in the summer leagues this year and was dominating. Playing great defense and scoring

bucketss
06-05-2013, 07:33 PM
http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb358/jmellis85/kawhiisland_zps3e51cc79.jpg

you're hyping the dude too much.

zn23
06-05-2013, 08:03 PM
He single-handedly changed the Spurs-Warriors series by eliminating Klay Thompson from the series. Compare Thompson game 1-2, and then 3-6 when Leonard was guarding him. He's a great player, and if he can somehow slow down LeBron the Spurs should dispose of the Heat rather easily.

kdspurman
06-05-2013, 08:23 PM
I apologize, I just read the OP saying that Leonard will shine in the Finals and that simply won't happen. I thought that's what this thread was about.

But yes the things he went through growing up is incredible. Quite the warrior. He has a very bright future in this league especially if he stays in SAS for the long run and continues to develop under Pop.

It's all good man. I don't know if saying that won't happen is accurate or not, but that's why these guys play the game. I don't think some of these people have really watched him enough to form such strong opinions, but that's how it goes sometimes.

Jdawg
06-05-2013, 08:47 PM
There was even 1 game this year where the Spurs asked Leonard to be the man. Against the Bulls in Chicago. With our 4 top players out. He stepped big time against a good defensive team. I can't remember his stats though. Anyone?

ClearSoulForce
06-05-2013, 10:18 PM
There was even 1 game this year where the Spurs asked Leonard to be the man. Against the Bulls in Chicago. With our 4 top players out. He stepped big time against a good defensive team. I can't remember his stats though. Anyone?

26 points on 11-18 shooting.

Cubby
06-05-2013, 10:47 PM

Don't know why people listen to this guy. He constantly displays how misinformed he is on almost any subject.

seikou8
06-05-2013, 11:09 PM
he is one of my favorite players he has alot of potential

Jdawg
06-06-2013, 10:48 AM
26 points on 11-18 shooting.

Thank you and had to play defense on Deng if I remember right.

kdspurman
06-06-2013, 10:52 AM
Thank you and had to play defense on Deng if I remember right.

here's the full highlights of him from that game. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXemx5E9t20

He really showed he could do a lot of different things with the ball, I loved his confidence that game. He was backpedaling after some of his shots like he knew they were going in.

SteBO
06-06-2013, 11:03 AM
Love how people are severely overrating and underrating Leonard all at once in here......can't it ever be in the middle? Kawhi is a very good defender, but LeBron obviously is a different animal. That said, I think I've seen enough of Leonard to know that he can do a better job on him than most players in the NBA today. On top of that, he isn't somebody that you can let run free offensively....he can kill you if you don't keep track of him. That's the whole beauty of San Anotnio's offense.....anyone can make an impact.

kdspurman
06-06-2013, 11:09 AM
Love how people are severely overrating and underrating Leonard all at once in here......can't it ever be in the middle? Kawhi is a very good defender, but LeBron obviously is a different animal. That said, I think I've seen enough of Leonard to know that he can do a better job on him than most players in the NBA today. On top of that, he isn't somebody that you can let run free offensively....he can kill you if you don't keep track of him. That's the whole beauty of San Anotnio's offense.....anyone can make an impact.

It never can be with some of the people on here unfortunately.

Jdawg
06-06-2013, 11:14 AM

I agree with this actually. Other than the pic in my signature, I haven't over-hyped him. And the pic is just in jest. I love when Leonard said that he's excited about guarding Lebron because he knows Lebron is the best and that's how Leonard can get better as a player by covering the best.

SanAntonioSpurs23
06-06-2013, 11:58 PM
:laugh: Leonard haters

Seriously though he played great D tonight and was able to "contain" LBJ about as good as anyone could hope.

Clippersfan86
06-07-2013, 12:08 AM
Kwahi "Spider Monkey" Leonard is a beast.

kdspurman
06-07-2013, 12:08 AM
:laugh: Leonard haters

Seriously though he played great D tonight and was able to "contain" LBJ about as good as anyone could hope.

Yep. Some overrated him here, many underrated him and down right disrespected him. I knew he'd do a solid job

Jdawg
06-07-2013, 12:16 AM
The Lovefest is just beginning. spurs players will stay with the 3 point shooters better as they start to trust Leonard more on Lebrun and hopefully those assists numbers will come down. Plus Leonard has got to hit his open 3s.

Joshtd1
06-07-2013, 12:18 AM
Not sure if we can limit LBJ to 18 pts again, but I hope this performance has opened some eyes about Kawhi. Already think he is an elite defender, and can only get better at 21.

AlexTmz2
06-07-2013, 12:24 AM
I agree Jdawg, Kawhi has to knock down his open corner 3s. Missed 3s from the spurs could have been a huge game changer. Spurs could of closed this one out sooner.

Jdawg
06-07-2013, 01:27 AM
Lebron only 2 for 8 vs Leonard and 5 for 8 vs everyone else.

tapajafri
06-07-2013, 04:06 AM
I like Leonard and have always liked him since he played college at SD State with a friend of mine from middle school, but I think Leonard is overrated as an NBA player. The spurs are the spurs. Almost everyone succeeds there. Leonard is a solid player, no doubt. But I think he's overachieving in a great situation where many other players would also succeed. How good would Leonard be if he was drafted higher to a different team? Yeah, he wouldn't be nearly as good. And this is coming from a fan who's liked Leonard since the Aztec days before he made it to the NBA. I mean he plays for the spurs! The spurs are the spurs. It's almost impossible to not succeed there as a player. They're like the 49ers of the NBA. Everyone succeeds in that situation with great coaching, veterans, leadership, stability, etc.

Jdawg
06-07-2013, 06:12 PM
I like Leonard and have always liked him since he played college at SD State with a friend of mine from middle school, but I think Leonard is overrated as an NBA player. The spurs are the spurs. Almost everyone succeeds there. Leonard is a solid player, no doubt. But I think he's overachieving in a great situation where many other players would also succeed. How good would Leonard be if he was drafted higher to a different team? Yeah, he wouldn't be nearly as good. And this is coming from a fan who's liked Leonard since the Aztec days before he made it to the NBA. I mean he plays for the spurs! The spurs are the spurs. It's almost impossible to not succeed there as a player. They're like the 49ers of the NBA. Everyone succeeds in that situation with great coaching, veterans, leadership, stability, etc.

Leonard is what he is. You can say the same about Parker manu and splitter that they may not be as good if not drafted by spurs. U can't fault Leonard for that. Plus he arrived with his own incredible work ethic that he may have succeeded anywhere. In fact, if he was on a lesser team his scoring would be up because he would get way more shots.

ChitownBears22
06-07-2013, 06:19 PM
Leonard played well. He needed a lot of help when LeBron drove and that opened up quite a few shots for Miami. I expect LeBron capitalizes on this more in game 2.

Jdawg
06-08-2013, 07:32 PM
Q: Kawhi, is getting Duncan "this last title" motivating? Kawhi: Getting Timmy this *next* title is motivating.

Q: Kawhi, does having long arms and big hands help you guard Lebron? A: It probably does but I wouldn't know because I've never had short arms and small hands."

LMAO!

ChitownBears22
06-08-2013, 07:35 PM
Q: Kawhi, is getting Duncan "this last title" motivating? Kawhi: Getting Timmy this *next* title is motivating.

Q: Kawhi, does having long arms and big hands help you guard Lebron? A: It probably does but I wouldn't know because I've never had short arms and small hands."

LMAO!

I read this earlier. Guy has a great personality.

natelpete
06-08-2013, 07:50 PM
I like Leonard but he has no chance on Lebron this series unless he continues to get some serious help. Lebron had a bad shooting night and was getting triple teamed at times in the post, Kawhi didn't really do all that much.

ChitownBears22
06-08-2013, 07:54 PM
I like Leonard but he has no chance on Lebron this series unless he continues to get some serious help. Lebron had a bad shooting night and was getting triple teamed at times in the post, Kawhi didn't really do all that much.

Be careful around here saying Leonard isn't very good defensively. Apparently getting help D isn't a big deal and doesn't open up passing lanes.

kdspurman
06-08-2013, 08:33 PM
People are still saying he isn't good defensively... :facepalm: Hey guys, you know who else had help defense against Lebron? Bruce Bowen.. I guess he's not that good a defender either huh

ChitownBears22
06-08-2013, 08:39 PM
People are still saying he isn't good defensively... :facepalm: Hey guys, you know who else had help defense against Lebron? Bruce Bowen.. I guess he's not that good a defender either huh

It was all help defense for Leonard. I saw 3-4 clear stops and zero ball denial defense. I guess that is what you want to see.

kdspurman
06-08-2013, 08:48 PM
It was all help defense for Leonard. I saw 3-4 clear stops and zero ball denial defense. I guess that is what you want to see.

No, it wasn't all help defense. I saw plenty of times Lebron was not able to drive by Leonard without Leonard being attached to his hip. Why don't you re-watch the game, i'm sure it'll be on NBA TV. and zero ball denial? I think it was the 3rd or 4th quarter Lebron could not even get position against Leonard to try and post him up cause he was battling. Seriously, re-watch it.

kdspurman
06-08-2013, 08:55 PM
In Game 1, James scored six points on 2-for-8 from the field when Leonard was guarding him. His average shot attempt was 16.4 feet away from the basket. Against all other Spurs, James had 12 points on 5-for-8 shooting, and his average attempt was 8.9 feet away from the basket. Forcing James to take difficult shots paid off in the form of a 92-88 Spurs victory.

I guess it's just a "coincidence"?. Not like maybe Kawhi's 7'3.5 wingspan or his lateral quickness and ability to stay in front of Lebron had anything to do with it. Or that his 11" hands had any impact on that key steal he had from Lebron late in the 4th quarter.

He did a really good job on Lebron with & without help defense. Those who don't think so, go watch it again.

Jdawg
06-08-2013, 09:02 PM
I guess it's just a "coincidence"?. Not like maybe Kawhi's 7'3.5 wingspan or his lateral quickness and ability to stay in front of Lebron had anything to do with it. Or that his 11" hands had any impact on that key steal he had from Lebron late in the 4th quarter.

He did a really good job on Lebron with & without help defense. Those who don't think so, go watch it again.

Bang!

Will be interesting how Kawhi does against a desperate LeBron in game 2.

I Rock Shaqs
06-08-2013, 09:05 PM

For real man I see all these lame stupid hipsters wearing Spurs gear now.... Spurs GEAR?!? Seriously? Nobody has cared about the Spurs for the last 10 years.

kdspurman
06-08-2013, 09:06 PM
Bang!

Will be interesting how Kawhi does against a desperate LeBron in game 2.

Right, and I'm not saying Lebron won't go off, but some folks are really giving him no credit at all for Game 1. Just nonsense man.

Dope sig btw :clap:

ChitownBears22
06-08-2013, 09:06 PM

He did well against him in the post. He did well against him stopping him from scoring, he did not do well against him when LeBron put the ball on the ground and forced a second or third defender over opening up 3's for Allen and Miller or wide open shot attempts by Bosh (Bosh should have put the ball on the ground too, but opted for 3's for some reason).

LeBron may have only scored 6 points on Leonard, but him needing help defense led to quite a few open shots and points for Miami.

Game 2 should be interesting because LeBron is going to exploit that even further.

Jdawg
06-08-2013, 09:27 PM
Are you referring to when Lebron used screens? Of course PnR offense is going to engage the help defense. Kawhi did a great job in game 1 and that can not be disputed. Game 2 will be very telling.

JerseyPalahniuk
06-09-2013, 10:13 PM
Tracy mcgrady in his first finals game

ChitownBears22
06-09-2013, 10:24 PM
Good game by Leonard first 2 1/2 quarters. Got dodgy during the run.

JerseyPalahniuk
06-09-2013, 10:27 PM
Woops wrong thread - that Tmac comment was meant for the thread. Had both open.

JerseyPalahniuk
06-09-2013, 10:28 PM
Good game by Leonard first 2 1/2 quarters. Got dodgy during the run.

Agreed.

tapajafri
06-11-2013, 02:51 AM
Leonard is what he is. You can say the same about Parker manu and splitter that they may not be as good if not drafted by spurs. U can't fault Leonard for that. Plus he arrived with his own incredible work ethic that he may have succeeded anywhere. In fact, if he was on a lesser team his scoring would be up because he would get way more shots.

Well hey I'm not going to disagree with you on that. That's why I think every player on the spurs (except for Duncan) is overrated, but not in a bad way.That's not to discredit Parker, Ginobili, Splitter, Leonard, etc in any way. All the credit goes to the Spurs ownership, management, and front office for establishing a winning foundation and a coaching staff that knows how to get the best out of their players (even if they overachieve). The Spurs are the prime example of what every franchise should be. It all starts at the top, ownership... and it trickles down to the management, the front office, then to the coaching, and then to the players. I mean, even with Tony Parker... Many say he's THEEE best PG in the NBA... but would he be better than Chris Paul naturally if he never played for the Spurs? Probably not. I love TP, no disrespect. I'm just speaking objectively. And you're right, you can't fault the players for being drafted by the Spurs. I'm not saying its their fault either. I'm just stating the fact that many of the spurs look and perform better because theyre on the spurs, but there may be naturally better players elsewhere in the NBA that aren't/weren't as fortunate to be in a great situation similar to the spurs.

The place where I will disagree with you is that Leonard's scoring would be up on a lesser team. That's possible, but it's more than likely not true. First of all, Leonard might not even be nearly as relevant on a lesser team with a tougher situation for him to succeed. And if he were succeeding, he'd also be seeing other teams' better defenders.

RiceOnTheRun
06-11-2013, 03:11 AM
Wow, did not know his backstory.

I'll always have a soft spot for guys who come out of adversity and make it big in the NBA. That's one of the things that I honestly appreciate about Lebron and this is one of the things that makes me respect Leonard so much more.

I always liked him as a player but this makes me want to seem him make it even bigger. He has so much potential, glad to see he's in a great situation with a great team.

SportsFanatic10
06-11-2013, 04:05 AM
just read the backstory, it's too bad about his dad. i'm sure he'd be proud of how far his son has made it and how bright his future is. he's done a solid job guarding lebron so far in the finals.

Jdawg
06-11-2013, 06:34 PM
Well hey I'm not going to disagree with you on that. That's why I think every player on the spurs (except for Duncan) is overrated, but not in a bad way.That's not to discredit Parker, Ginobili, Splitter, Leonard, etc in any way. All the credit goes to the Spurs ownership, management, and front office for establishing a winning foundation and a coaching staff that knows how to get the best out of their players (even if they overachieve). The Spurs are the prime example of what every franchise should be. It all starts at the top, ownership... and it trickles down to the management, the front office, then to the coaching, and then to the players. I mean, even with Tony Parker... Many say he's THEEE best PG in the NBA... but would he be better than Chris Paul naturally if he never played for the Spurs? Probably not. I love TP, no disrespect. I'm just speaking objectively. And you're right, you can't fault the players for being drafted by the Spurs. I'm not saying its their fault either. I'm just stating the fact that many of the spurs look and perform better because theyre on the spurs, but there may be naturally better players elsewhere in the NBA that aren't/weren't as fortunate to be in a great situation similar to the spurs.

The place where I will disagree with you is that Leonard's scoring would be up on a lesser team. That's possible, but it's more than likely not true. First of all, Leonard might not even be nearly as relevant on a lesser team with a tougher situation for him to succeed. And if he were succeeding, he'd also be seeing other teams' better defenders.

I hear you. Well in 2-3 years we may find out regarding the scoring once the big three are long gone and its Leonard's show. One thing lots of Spurs fans complain about is the low amount of touches Leonard's gets. He's a beast in the post against smaller players.

JerseyPalahniuk
06-11-2013, 10:52 PM

:clap::clap: I knew this would be sig-worthy whether the Spurs won or lost the series.

Mr.Nate30
06-11-2013, 10:53 PM
:clap::clap: I knew this would be sig-worthy whether the Spurs won or lost the series.

:laugh:

cmellofan15
06-11-2013, 10:57 PM

LeBron is 3/14 tonight so he's definitely making a name for himself haha

GiantsSwaGG
06-11-2013, 11:17 PM

GiantsSwaGG
06-11-2013, 11:26 PM

He hates anything except LeBron. He lacks basketball knowledge. It's laughable really!

ChitownBears22
06-11-2013, 11:33 PM
Great D by Leonard. Really well played. Ball denial was excellent.

topdog
06-11-2013, 11:35 PM
I'm looking forward to the next few years of Lebron vs. Paul George/Kawhi Leonard... as long as some other team doesn't deprieve us of the matchups.

Sly Guy
06-11-2013, 11:35 PM

nice sig, love it.

Clippersfan86
06-11-2013, 11:41 PM
Great D by Leonard. Really well played. Ball denial was excellent.

Just like you predicted :laugh2:

Jdawg
06-11-2013, 11:47 PM
Where's the love for my boy Kawhi. Lebron can't get off the big island!!!

GiantsSwaGG
06-11-2013, 11:51 PM
Just like you predicted :laugh2:

:laugh: classic

Iggz53
06-12-2013, 12:00 AM
I'm assuming sarcasm or you've never watched Leonard before..

I would just assume he's an idiot. Considering pretty much everything he says sounds like something an idiot would say.

GiantsSwaGG
06-12-2013, 12:02 AM
I would just assume he's an idiot. Considering pretty much everything he says sounds like something an idiot would say.

:laugh2: he is

Jdawg
06-12-2013, 12:04 AM
Kawhi held Lebron to his worse +\- numbers of His career!!! -32

His 9 point run was with Kawhi on bench.

Clippersfan86
06-12-2013, 12:21 AM
Anybody good with GIF's? I want to superimpose a Kwahi Leonard head onto my sig of Pop dancing but can't seem to get this damn thing to work. I want something similar to this where the head moves with the body.

http://i44.tinypic.com/o8i2q9.gif

GiantsSwaGG
06-12-2013, 12:22 AM
Anybody good with GIF's? I want to superimpose a Kwahi Leonard head onto my sig of Pop dancing but can't seem to get this damn thing to work. I want something similar to this where the head moves with the body.

http://i44.tinypic.com/o8i2q9.gif

How do you do that?

Clippersfan86
06-12-2013, 12:23 AM
How do you do that?

Not sure, wish I knew. Best I could accomplish was getting Kawhi's head there but it doesn't move with the body so looks weird.

njnets
06-12-2013, 12:33 AM
he is playing so well this series. i havent seen him all year but all his 2 way game is looking great against the best player on the planet right now. duncan and ginobili are on their way out as players for the spurs but lenard will be around with parker after those two retire.

ColtsSpursTerps
06-12-2013, 12:50 AM
I might be insane but he's been looking like the best player on the court in this series

ThaDubs
06-12-2013, 12:52 AM
He's no match for Lebron I'm afraid.

This comment now looks stupid

Jdawg
06-12-2013, 12:53 AM
I might be insane but he's been looking like the best player on the court in this series

You sir, are certainly NOT insane.

GiantsSwaGG
06-12-2013, 12:55 AM

Don't let Chiwtown read this

Clippersfan86
06-12-2013, 12:55 AM

I wouldn't go quite that far but I'd say his impact has been the most important of anybody in the series due to the magnitude of slowing Lebron down as much as he has. Best overall player though, not really. Sounds contradictory at first but basically his value to the Spurs this series is higher than anybody else probably because of his responsibility but he's still not their best player.

Clippersfan86
06-12-2013, 12:56 AM
Don't let Chiwtown read this

Role player>>>4 time league MVP!

Vinny642
06-12-2013, 12:56 AM
Definitely a fan of Leonard's game, would love him and Green on the Pels

Jdawg
06-12-2013, 01:01 AM
I have felt all year that Leonard is a Top 5 SF in the league RIGHT NOW. Anybody care to disagree? If so, please provide a list and valid reasoning....

ColtsSpursTerps
06-12-2013, 01:11 AM
Role player>>>4 time league MVP!

To be specific, I meant *has played the best* not *is the best* for those who want to act dumb :rolleyes:
edit: clearly Leonard is much more than a role player at this point

ColtsSpursTerps
06-12-2013, 01:14 AM
I wouldn't go quite that far but I'd say his impact has been the most important of anybody in the series due to the magnitude of slowing Lebron down as much as he has. Best overall player though, not really. Sounds contradictory at first but basically his value to the Spurs this series is higher than anybody else probably because of his responsibility but he's still not their best player.

I get what you mean. it makes perfect sense tbh

Clippersfan86
06-12-2013, 01:16 AM
To be specific, I meant *has played the best* not *is the best* for those who want to act dumb :rolleyes:
edit: clearly Leonard is much more than a role player at this point

You missed it. I was teasing Chi for calling Leonard a role player, not making fun of your post.

ColtsSpursTerps
06-12-2013, 01:20 AM
You missed it. I was teasing Chi for calling Leonard a role player, not making fun of your post.

Of course lol :drunk:. my bad, jumping to conclusions since I was being dumb myself thinking I might have accidentally typed something that implied Leonard was actually better.

Clippersfan86
06-12-2013, 01:22 AM
Of course lol :drunk:. my bad, jumping to conclusions since I was being dumb myself thinking I might have accidentally typed something that implied Leonard was actually better.

Haha np.

Sadds The Gr8
06-12-2013, 03:16 AM

http://i.imgur.com/B4F9o.gif