PDA

View Full Version : Hawks marketing letter mentions Chris Paul and Dwight Howard, could be tampering

spreadeagle
06-04-2013, 06:01 PM
The Atlanta Hawks' marketing department wants to get a leg-up on sales, and with cap space and wiggle room to make some big changes this offseason, that's fair enough. But it's almost a month until July 1 drops and this summer's crop of free agents comes off their current contracts. Marketing with other teams' players is a no-no.

Somebody might want to let the Hawks know that.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that a letter sent by one member of the team's marketing department led with a title of "Hot New Player news: Chris Paul and Dwight Howard," before beginning with the following:

"The buzz around our offseason is more than heating up. With massive cap space, 4 draft picks, and free agency rapidly approaching, we sit in the best position in the NBA. Player interest is skyrocketing as the possibilities of landing Chris Paul & Dwight Howard become more and more of a reality."

Uh, oh.

The NBA has an anti-tampering policy that keeps teams from talking about potential free agent targets until they are actually free agents. Again, that's July 1. Before, the NBA has taken the practice of fining teams quite seriously.

During LeBron James' upcoming free agency, Suns general manager Steve Kerr, Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban and Hawks co-owner Michael Gearon were all fined varying degrees for either mentions or answering a question specifically about James.

This appears to be an anti-tampering infraction. In the case of the Hawks, it appears less serious because it's the marketing department looking to sell tickets rather than a front office hoping to get a jump start on recruiting a free agent. Still, Atlanta is technically using other teams' players to market themselves, which probably won't go over all that well either. http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/6/4/4396062/atlanta-hawks-marketing-tampering-chris-paul-dwight-howard

sunsfan88
06-04-2013, 07:16 PM
Lol the Hawks FO are idiots. Do they think their fan base is so stupid that the fans will believe the Hawks signing both CP3 and Dwight?

CP3 wants to stay in LAC and Dwight doesn't even want to play in his hometown especially after the way they have been treating his best friend Josh Smith for so many years (on the trade block every year and then not paying him & letting him go)

The Hawks better change the names from CP3 and Dwight to Monta Ellis and Andrew Bynum or something.

*Silver&Black*
06-04-2013, 07:29 PM
Lol the Hawks FO are idiots.

Marketing Department is the FO? Someone will just be fired for this.

Avenged
06-04-2013, 07:39 PM
Using other teams players to boost up sales.. That's a new low.

D-Leethal
06-04-2013, 07:40 PM
"If you repeat a lie often enough, it becomes true"

*Silver&Black*
06-04-2013, 07:45 PM
It does help put the Hawks, Howard, and Paul's names together on ESPN, etc. If it's just a fine, a fine that's worth it.

sunsfan88
06-04-2013, 07:47 PM
Marketing Department is the FO? Someone will just be fired for this.

You don't think the Hawks FO knew about this letter before it was sent?

SportsFanatic10
06-04-2013, 07:50 PM
that's a pretty optimistic outlook. the dwight and cp3 mentions are bad, but my favorite part is where it says "we sit in the best position in the nba" lol what?

*Silver&Black*
06-04-2013, 07:51 PM
You don't think the Hawks FO knew about this letter before it was sent?

Probably did, if it's just a fine, why wouldn't they be willing to pay it? It's not a huge case of tampering so I don't see any draft picks being taken away or anything.

GThawks
06-04-2013, 07:52 PM
Lol the Hawks FO are idiots. Do they think their fan base is so stupid that the fans will believe the Hawks signing both CP3 and Dwight?

CP3 wants to stay in LAC and Dwight doesn't even want to play in his hometown especially after the way they have been treating his best friend Josh Smith for so many years (on the trade block every year and then not paying him & letting him go)

The Hawks better change the names from CP3 and Dwight to Monta Ellis and Andrew Bynum or something.

Well that clears that up! Glad you know what Paul and Howard are thinking...saved Ferry some time!

D-Leethal
06-04-2013, 07:52 PM
Thats just the Hawks trying to make money. They is no collusion in selling tickets on false hope. Why wouldn't they say that? I would.

sunsfan88
06-04-2013, 07:55 PM
Well that clears that up! Glad you know what Paul and Howard are thinking...saved Ferry some time!
Any time! :)

Aust
06-04-2013, 08:00 PM
The Hawks are such a joke.

GThawks
06-04-2013, 08:00 PM
Any time! :)

On a serious note the only way Dwight would come to ATL is if Paul came. I don't see the Clippers winning a championship with that roster so if he if he is serious about winning he has to at least consider it...Paul is from NC so he would be closer to home and he did want to be drafted by Atl out of college.

sunsfan88
06-04-2013, 08:08 PM
On a serious note the only way Dwight would come to ATL is if Paul came. I don't see the Clippers winning a championship with that roster so if he if he is serious about winning he has to at least consider it...Paul is from NC so he would be closer to home and he did want to be drafted by Atl out of college.

What makes you think that?

I think Dwight coming to Atlanta would hinder on Josh Smith and the love for his hometown (if he has any).

Only problem is, a front court of Josh Smith, Al Horford and Dwight Howard would have absolutely no spacing what so ever.

Paul wanted to come to LAC...I can't see him leaving now. Once a superstar demands a trade to a hand picked team, I don't think they leave soon after their first contract. Especially when CP3 has repeatedly said that he wants to stay with LAC.

LeBron won't leave Miami, Carmelo won't leave NY, Deron Williams won't leave Brooklyn, Chris Bosh won't leave Miami, Kevin Garnett won't leave Boston and CP3 won't leave LAC.

As long as their respective teams wants them there, those guys ^^ will remain with those teams imo.

Had Dwight gotten his wish to be traded to Brooklyn, then I would say that Dwight won't leave Brooklyn also.

GThawks
06-04-2013, 08:19 PM
What makes you think that?

I think Dwight coming to Atlanta would hinder on Josh Smith and the love for his hometown (if he has any).

Only problem is, a front court of Josh Smith, Al Horford and Dwight Howard would have absolutely no spacing what so ever.

Paul wanted to come to LAC...I can't see him leaving now. Once a superstar demands a trade to a hand picked team, I don't think they leave soon after their first contract. Especially when CP3 has repeatedly said that he wants to stay with LAC.

LeBron won't leave Miami, Carmelo won't leave NY, Deron Williams won't leave Brooklyn, Chris Bosh won't leave Miami, Kevin Garnett won't leave Boston and CP3 won't leave LAC.

As long as their respective teams wants them there, those guys ^^ will remain with those teams imo.

Had Dwight gotten his wish to be traded to Brooklyn, then I would say that Dwight won't leave Brooklyn also.

I saw somewhere were he didn't even mention Josh Smith as a player he wanted to play with. I just think if Chris Paul called him and told him lets go to ATL I think he would join him. There have always been rumors that they've wanted to play together. I know Paul likes LA but if he wants to win I just don't see it with the Clippers. Paul, Horford and Howard would be a great trio and they would all fit perfectly and are all 27/28. I agree with Smith at the 3 and I don't want him playing there with his awful shot selection.

*Silver&Black*
06-04-2013, 08:20 PM
Paul, Horford and Howard would be a great trio and they would all fit perfectly and are all 27/28. I agree with Smith at the 3 and I don't want him playing there with his awful shot selection.

This.