PDA

View Full Version : Why was Cole ejected?

ChitownBears22
06-04-2013, 12:54 PM
The refs said he put his fists up, but if you watch the replay he was just sizing him up. It was a stupid decision, he gets pushed then ejected.

ManRam
06-04-2013, 12:56 PM
it was a stupid ejection.

it also does not matter

ChitownBears22
06-04-2013, 12:57 PM
it was a stupid ejection.

it also does not matter

In a way it does matter. It shows a ref can eject someone without a real reason. Not a precedent to be set.

Cubby
06-04-2013, 01:01 PM
Who gives a ****? It's not like it had any impact in last night's game or future games, so why treat it like it's something of significance?

xnick5757
06-04-2013, 01:02 PM
I assume that they ejected both of them just to prevent something more serious from happening (like a hard foul)

D-Leethal
The game was over, the Heat were pouring it on Indy and the refs knew tensions were high. There was no chance they were gonna allow anyone who was remotely aggressive to stay in the game. Cole got pushed and put his dukes up like he was ready to rumble. In the context of the blowout and with zero chance of affected the outcome of the game - it was the right decision IMO.

ChitownBears22
Who gives a ****? It's not like it had any impact in last night's game or future games, so why treat it like it's something of significance?

Once again, I was just asking for a reasoning. I never said it affected the game or the future. But it does show a ref can eject someone for no real reason. So the league should justify it and tell us why he did it.

D-Leethal
06-04-2013, 01:06 PM
Once again, I was just asking for a reasoning. I never said it affected the game or the future. But it does show a ref can eject someone for no real reason. So the league should justify it and tell us why he did it.

Its not that hard to come up with a 'real reason'. He put his fists up to engage in a fight. Refs obviously have their discretion when it comes to flagrants, techs, ejections. The ref thought in the context of the blow out it was best to eject anyone who was even remotely aggressive because thats when there is the highest likelihood of '**** going down'.

Just look at the Malace at the Palace. Look at the Knicks-Nuggets brawl some years back.

Whats the constant? Both were less than a minute left of a huge blowout. Thats when your at your highest risk and thats when the games mean the least. Easy decision - no effect on the outcome, no chance at a brawl.

kdspurman
06-04-2013, 01:07 PM
A game that was a blowout, and emotions were high. The refs did not want anything to happen so they threw both guys out. That's the kind of game where someone delivers a hard foul (sort of like Bynum/Barea) especially when you have 2nd/3rd stringers out there who might not care about the ramifications.

Pendergraph instigated, Cole sized him up rather than sort of backing away showing the refs he didn't want to engage with him. So you avoid the situation by getting rid of both guys. I get why they did it

ChitownBears22
06-04-2013, 01:11 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/22346889/video-pendergraph-cole-and-flo-ridas-manager-ejected-in-game-7

He never puts his fists up! He sizes him up. Where in the NBA rulebook does it say a player can do nothing a get a double T. It warranted a T, maybe. But there is nothing that says a ref can eject someone on the grounds of a possible second infraction.

Too much power.

AlexTmz2
06-04-2013, 01:17 PM
Is he suspended for game one of the finals...?

ChitownBears22
06-04-2013, 01:19 PM
Is he ejected for game one of the finals...?

No, but that isn't the point. The NBA is ok with ejecting players who don't commit infractions. I guess that is a good thing for the league.

D-Leethal
06-04-2013, 01:32 PM
No, but that isn't the point. The NBA is ok with ejecting players who don't commit infractions. I guess that is a good thing for the league.

There is a reason the league leaves that type of stuff up to the discretion of the referees. The context of the moment matters, there are certain times in certain games where the chances of a brawl, or a huge flagrant skyrocket.

Last night was one of those moments and the refs need a quicker trigger during those moments. There was zero downside to ejecting both guys, nothing but upside. Nothing but downside if he left either one in. There was no chance at affecting the outcome of the game. Why leave two guys who squared up like they were ready to rumble in the game when the game is over?

ChitownBears22
06-04-2013, 01:36 PM
There is a reason the league leaves that type of stuff up to the discretion of the referees. The context of the moment matters, there are certain times in certain games where the chances of a brawl, or a huge flagrant skyrocket.

Last night was one of those moments and the refs need a quicker trigger during those moments. There was zero downside to ejecting both guys, nothing but upside. Nothing but downside if he left either one in. There was no chance at affecting the outcome of the game. Why leave two guys who squared up like they were ready to rumble in the game when the game is over?

Because squaring up is a natural reaction after a cheap shot by some nobody. He was hit, he put himself in a stance to protect himself if Pendegraph continued. Ref blew the whistle Pen kept jawing they both get ejected, cole walks off. Cole never retaliated. Eject the cheap shot bitter loser, and let the guy who did nothing, continue to play. These double ejections and offsetting T's are BS, especially if one party doesn't do anything.

NYKnickFanatic
06-04-2013, 01:37 PM
Because he's black.

ChitownBears22
06-04-2013, 01:39 PM
Because he's black.

#truff

Slug3
06-04-2013, 01:39 PM
End of game and series. I'm sure the refs were feeling something bad could happe. And just decided to eject them both to prevent anything. At that point it didn't matter at all anyway. If it was the 2nd quarter then Cole might have been spared.

Im_in_Mia_bish
06-04-2013, 01:42 PM
dude it was during garbage time.. i really could care less about it.

ChitownBears22
06-04-2013, 01:58 PM
dude it was during garbage time.. i really could care less about it.

It's not a "It happened to the Heat so I am outraged". The refs should not be able to do what they did. You can't be ejected because something could possibly happen. It has to be based off of actual events, otherwise there is no way to govern it. It is just a bad practice in general.

goingfor28
06-04-2013, 02:05 PM
I assume that they ejected both of them just to prevent something more serious from happening (like a hard foul)

Exactly

ModernDaySavage
06-04-2013, 02:06 PM
It's not a "It happened to the Heat so I am outraged". The refs should not be able to do what they did. You can't be ejected because something could possibly happen. It has to be based off of actual events, otherwise there is no way to govern it. It is just a bad practice in general.

How do you know what was said between the two? You don't. Stop crying about a call that had 0 effect on anything. What if the guy on Indiana said he's going to **** him up if they get on the court again? You have no idea, so just keep to yourself because it was a preventative call.

BigBlueCrew
06-04-2013, 02:07 PM
:facepalm: heat fans, god bless 'em

blowout the pacers, make the finals, and still *****in/whining about a little thing like Norris Core an insignificant bench player getting tossed in the waning moments of Game 7.

ChitownBears22
06-04-2013, 02:12 PM

blowout the pacers, make the finals, and still *****in/whining about a little thing like Norris Core an insignificant bench player getting tossed in the waning moments of Game 7.

I asked why. I am not complaining. Just asking for a legitimate answer. Assuming a future fight is not a reason to eject someone.

NYKnickFanatic
06-04-2013, 02:12 PM

To be fair to Heat "fans", I don't think OP is a Heat fan. Lol

NYKnickFanatic
06-04-2013, 02:14 PM
I asked why. I am not complaining. Just asking for a legitimate answer. Assuming a future fight is not a reason to eject someone.

Tensions were high. Best thing to do was to eject both of them. Imagine if they remained in the game and then something happened.

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Boy-That-Escalated-Quickly-Anchorman.gif

ChitownBears22
06-04-2013, 02:18 PM
Tensions were high. Best thing to do was to eject both of them. Imagine if they remained in the game and then something happened.

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Boy-That-Escalated-Quickly-Anchorman.gif

Pendegraph should have been ejected for the cheapshot. Cole did nothing except that a defensive position, but he didn't instigate anything from it. Pen kept jawing. Why eject someone who did nothing. This would be my reaction if it happened to Kyle Lowry or anyone else. Just a stupid call.

Avenged
06-04-2013, 02:26 PM
Refs seem to always punish the victim instead of the attacker. Or sometimes even both even though the "victim" did nothing.

ModernDaySavage
06-04-2013, 02:30 PM
Read my post, you responded to everything around it.

And it might not look like a traditional "boxing stance", but with your hands balled on your side like that you're ready to throw em. We don't need little guys out there trying to prove themselves.

ChitownBears22
06-04-2013, 02:30 PM
Refs seem to always punish the victim instead of the attacker. Or sometimes even both even though the "victim" did nothing.

Right. And this needs to be addressed. A player can't be ejected because of fear by the refs. It's like when that player got ejected for staring at the ref and making him feel uncomfortable.

ChitownBears22
06-04-2013, 02:31 PM
Read my post, you responded to everything around it.

And it might not look like a traditional "boxing stance", but with your hands balled on your side like that you're ready to throw em. We don't need little guys out there trying to prove themselves.

Did he attack or provoke? Nope, ok so he was preparing himself if Pen decided to keep going with the cheapshots.

NYKnickFanatic
06-04-2013, 02:33 PM
I'm sure Cole was jawing back. None of us were there, so who knows. Try and get in touch with Flo Ridas manager. ;)

JordanPippen
06-04-2013, 02:34 PM

I totally agree with chitownbears22 and I'm not a heat fan. The refs cannot predict the future. All they can do is call what they see. There has to be a rule and guideline for calling techs, and ejections - and this needs to be consistent. What Pendergraph did warranted an ejection because he pushed Nole. Nole did not physically touch him. It doesn't matter if it's garbage time or crunch time - what we ask from the NBA is consistency in refereeing. And to those saying the refs did it so they could prevent a brawl - wtf, are the refs conductors now? This isn't a symphony. Let the action on the court speak for itself. I'm tired of these refs getting in the way. Do your job and call it consistently.

NYKnickFanatic
06-04-2013, 02:35 PM

Can you re-open JBs thread? I want to post something in there.

BigBlueCrew
06-04-2013, 02:36 PM
Right. And this needs to be addressed. A player can't be ejected because of fear by the refs. It's like when that player got ejected for staring at the ref and making him feel uncomfortable.

there are a lot of things that NEED to be addressed before this. On the priority list of David Stern and Stu Jackson this probably ranks close to dead last.

NYKnickFanatic
06-04-2013, 02:38 PM
I totally agree with chitownbears22 and I'm not a heat fan. The refs cannot predict the future. All they can do is call what they see. There has to be a rule and guideline for calling techs, and ejections - and this needs to be consistent. What Pendergraph did warranted an ejection because he pushed Nole. Nole did not physically touch him. It doesn't matter if it's garbage time or crunch time - what we ask from the NBA is consistency in refereeing. And to those saying the refs did it so they could prevent a brawl - wtf, are the refs conductors now? This isn't a symphony. Let the action on the court speak for itself. I'm tired of these refs getting in the way. Do your job and call it consistently.

He got thrown out of the game, with 2 minutes left in a blowout. If this was earlier in the game, they would have not been thrown out. Maybe T's at most. It wasn't a game changer, this shouldn't even be a problem really.

ModernDaySavage
06-04-2013, 02:38 PM
Did he attack or provoke? Nope, ok so he was preparing himself if Pen decided to keep going with the cheapshots.

No he didn't attack, but he could easily walk away. Instead, he stands 7 feet away squaring him up with balled fists at his side, c'mon now. Also you must be skipping over the parts where I say you have no idea what was said between the two, so you really have no clue on the situation.

ChitownBears22
06-04-2013, 02:41 PM
No he didn't attack, but he could easily walk away. Instead, he stands 7 feet away squaring him up with balled fists at his side, c'mon now. Also you must be skipping over the parts where I say you have no idea what was said between the two, so you really have no clue on the situation.

Maybe you forgot to read my original post. I want to know the reason the NBA has for the ejection. The NBA has been quiet and no explanation given.

ModernDaySavage
06-04-2013, 02:46 PM
Maybe you forgot to read my original post. I want to know the reason the NBA has for the ejection. The NBA has been quiet and no explanation given.

This is getting painful. No I didn't "forget" to read your original post. There have been multiple reasons given to you here, maybe everyone except you has accepted that. Why would the NBA give out an explanation which is obvious to everyone besides a select few special ones? Making fists in the air or at your side mean you have intent to do something with them, just get it through your head.

STAT1
06-04-2013, 02:47 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/22346889/video-pendergraph-cole-and-flo-ridas-manager-ejected-in-game-7

He never puts his fists up! He sizes him up. Where in the NBA rulebook does it say a player can do nothing a get a double T. It warranted a T, maybe. But there is nothing that says a ref can eject someone on the grounds of a possible second infraction.

Too much power.

You're so right. Good thing you made this thread so now we can reverse what happened.

NYCkid12
06-04-2013, 02:59 PM

I think within the circumstances it was the right decision. The refs did not want anything to get out of hand and it was honestly a better outcome for Miami because if they decide to throw punches, Cole gets suspended for game 1 of the finals.

Under different circumstances, Cole definitely doesn't get ejected.

ryang
06-04-2013, 03:24 PM
Definetly the right decision. Did cole do much? No. But you could tell he was in a stance where he was ready to fight. Cole should have laughed it off. But he didn't and the refs did a good job cooling that situation down quickly. Note there wasn't a incident after that. Keep it clean. My daughter was watching and she is 4. Good job refs.

sunsfan88
06-04-2013, 03:35 PM
I agree with the OP. What Cole did doesn't warrant a an ejection.

But since he's not a star player and since it was towards the end of the game, it's ok?

That's idiotic. The rules should be same for everyone throughout the whole game.

D-Leethal
06-04-2013, 03:39 PM
Because squaring up is a natural reaction after a cheap shot by some nobody. He was hit, he put himself in a stance to protect himself if Pendegraph continued. Ref blew the whistle Pen kept jawing they both get ejected, cole walks off. Cole never retaliated. Eject the cheap shot bitter loser, and let the guy who did nothing, continue to play. These double ejections and offsetting T's are BS, especially if one party doesn't do anything.

Punching someone in the mouth is also a natural reaction to getting punched in the mouth. Whats your point?

beasted86
06-04-2013, 03:44 PM
The refs blew this call just like they blew the Birdman call 2 games ago. Birdman laid a cheap shot on Hansbrough, escalated it by pushing him and somehow stayed in the game and Tyler gets a tech for basically just getting hit. This time around Pendergraph hits Cole and Cole gets tossed. Just another example of the refs being human, the league will likely review it and rescind the 2nd tech on Cole.

On a related note, trolls have overrun the NBA forum. You really can't ask this type of question to the losers on here as you won't get any constructive responses. This is also magnified to the 10th when it is a HEAT related topic.

LBJackpot
06-04-2013, 06:55 PM

Exactly. I love how asking a very valid question is "complaining" or "whining" just because it has to do with the Heat. It obviously didn't affect the game and I see why they did it but its about the principle. That scrub Pendergraph pushes the smallest player on the Heat formno reason at all and continued to act aggressive. Norris didnt put his hands up or even walk towards him. All he did was hold his ground and show he wasnt going to get punked by some bitter scrub. At the very most Norris should have gotten a T.

NJrockPD
06-04-2013, 07:15 PM
There are plenty of things wrong with the NBA and officiating. I don't think this is one of them. Personally I think they wanted to show they meant business before things got out of control and cheap shots started happening. I think this only benefits the heat at that point in the game because they are the ones who have another series. I know it sounds ironic from my comments last night, but I think it was only to prevent any sort of suspension or injury that would effect the finals.

sunnyice
06-04-2013, 08:13 PM
Its probably not relevant and a different scenario but David West did the same thing when He squared up Mario Chalmers with his fists closed on his side before Haslem butted in. Anyone remember that?

OceanSpray
06-04-2013, 08:50 PM
Who is Pendergraph? I hate when bench warmers come out looking for fights.

hornetsfansydne
06-04-2013, 09:11 PM
Well Cole first tried to push through the screen by Pendergraph so naturally Pendergraph shoves him back. Then it does look like both guys were getting ready to start swinging. We do not know what was said by either player so tossing both of them to calm the situation down was a very good idea. And has been said before in this thread, it was done so that nothing would flare up. Here in Australia, the league gives us directions as to what to do in certain situations ie. if two players are doing this type of thing at this point in the game, toss them so the situation calms down and I would be willing to bet the NBA has this guideline as well

hornetsfansydne
06-04-2013, 09:15 PM
Hell they both continue to trash talk for the majority of that video that was posted. I really dont understand where the OP is coming from. The referees did the right thing and set the precedent for the remaining 2 minutes of the game and nothing else happened!!

BklynKnicks3
06-05-2013, 03:44 PM
because he needs a haircut

NYKnickFanatic
06-05-2013, 04:01 PM
because he needs a haircut

Nah, Shump does.

Cole's flattop > Shump's flattop.