PDA

View Full Version : How do the Spurs match up against the Heat?

tallyzone7
06-03-2013, 10:35 PM
Spurs vs Heat. 2013 NBA Finals. It's all, but official right now.

RealLiveBear
06-03-2013, 10:38 PM
Spurs in 6.

barreleffact
06-03-2013, 10:42 PM
Depends if their four best players are going to play this time...

Seriously though I think they match up well. They have wonderful shooters, a tested core, and an elite coach that will NOT allow his team to get away from their caliber and system of basketball unlike young coach Frank Vogel. The coaching gap is larger than the best player gap and to me that speaks volumes for the series. I am definitely NOT counting MIA out and would not be at all surprised if they win, but Pop if a chest grandmaster, Spo is just moving from tic-tac-toe to checkers by comparison...

ChitownBears22
06-03-2013, 10:48 PM

Seriously though I think they match up well. They have wonderful shooters, a tested core, and an elite coach that will NOT allow his team to get away from their caliber and system of basketball unlike young coach Frank Vogel. The coaching gap is larger than the best player gap and to me that speaks volumes for the series. I am definitely NOT counting MIA out and would not be at all surprised if they win, but Pop if a chest grandmaster, Spo is just moving from tic-tac-toe to checkers by comparison...

Worst analogy ever.........

tallyzone7
06-03-2013, 10:49 PM
I think Miami matches up well against the Spurs.

The best way to beat the Heat is to bust them inside, but Duncan cannot dominate in the post like he used to.

His game is much more face up oriented and reliant on guard penetration now. He's 37 years old it was going to happen eventually.

The speed and length of the Miami wings will make it difficult for Parker and Ginobili to wreak havoc.

I think Miami's defense will win this series.

Arch Stanton
06-03-2013, 10:53 PM
I think the Heat match up better with the Spurs because they play at a faster pace. Unfortunately, Heat in 6.

macc
06-03-2013, 10:56 PM
I think Indy is able to give Miami a better series then San Antonio. I can see the finals being a quick series, prob 5 games....maaaaybe 6.

Here is Lebrons chance to avenge is his loss against San Antonio back when he was in Cleveland.

barreleffact
06-03-2013, 10:59 PM

I don't think so. I am sure you could come up with worse. The point is to speak board games where it's generally chess and checkers, but an even lower game than checkers is....tic-tac-toe.

Your opinion=fail

jerellh528
06-03-2013, 11:06 PM
spurs=fine wine
heat=fourlokos
jk, but should be a good series

ManRam
06-03-2013, 11:07 PM
the spurs offense is signficantly better than indy's...and their defense is incredibly good as well.

i just think hibbert and george were such crucial match ups, especially hibbert, and san antonio can't quite match that. i think they'll struggle much more consistently stopping the heat. now, they'll score a bit more to make up for that. but it's the hibbert effect....he's the sole reason i think miami matches up better against SA than IND.

D-Leethal
06-03-2013, 11:07 PM
Really tough to say. They looked like **** vs Boston last year and everyone picked them to lose and they smoked OKC.

4milesperday
06-03-2013, 11:08 PM
spurs=fine wine
heat=fourlokos
jk, but should be a good series

which would you rather have when you're with some girl other than your wife or GF?

JordansBulls
06-03-2013, 11:09 PM
Not sure really!!! Heat have the HCA so should be the difference.

tallyzone7
06-03-2013, 11:10 PM
the spurs offense is signficantly better than indy's...and their defense is incredibly good as well.

i just think hibbert and george were such crucial match ups, especially hibbert, and san antonio can't quite match that. i think they'll struggle much more consistently stopping the heat. now, they'll score a bit more to make up for that. but it's the hibbert effect....he's the sole reason i think miami matches up better against SA than IND.

I agree with the Hibbert match up.

I don't see how Parker and Ginobili will be able to handle the speed and length of Miami.

How in the world will the Spurs run their offense against that?

That's just offensively. LeBron could have a field day with the embarrassment of 3 point shooters at his disposal.

On PAPER it looks awfully grim for the Spurs.

*Silver&Black*
06-03-2013, 11:11 PM
How do the Heat match up with the Spurs? Don't ask one way questions.

Spurs win.

LayBraun
LeBron is going to remember the finals from 2007 in this one and the Heat will take this in 6.

Not to mention that bosh will benefit from a slower moving/smaller Duncan, wade should be able to exploit his matchups and no one can guard lebron so that's already settled.

D-Leethal
LeBron would have been in the 3rd row.

jerellh528
06-03-2013, 11:13 PM
which would you rather have when you're with some girl other than your wife or GF?

gimme the fourlokos lol

kdspurman
06-03-2013, 11:22 PM
I will say this. The Spurs haven't faced a team with the wing athleticism that Miami will throw at them, and Miami hasn't faced a team with the offensive precision and balanced attack the Spurs will throw at them.

Jarvo
06-03-2013, 11:24 PM
Spurs in 6, Heat and Spurs match up well, Should be a good series.

tallyzone7
06-03-2013, 11:30 PM
I will say this. The Spurs haven't faced a team with the wing athleticism that Miami will throw at them, and Miami hasn't faced a team with the offensive precision and balanced attack the Spurs will throw at them.

This is a huge obstacle for the Spurs. They can't just pound Duncan anymore inside. Parker is going to have to shake free. It will be damn near impossible. Pop will be on it though.

kdspurman
06-03-2013, 11:34 PM
This is a huge obstacle for the Spurs. They can't just pound Duncan anymore inside. Parker is going to have to shake free. It will be damn near impossible. Pop will be on it though.

Duncan will be able to do more this series than any other. After going up against Dwight, Bogut, & M. Gasol, going against either Bosh or Haslem will definitely allow him to be more effective in the post. Splitter can have a sneaky decent series off of the P & R's too.

tallyzone7
06-03-2013, 11:36 PM
Duncan will be able to do more this series than any other. After going up against Dwight, Bogut, & M. Gasol, going against either Bosh or Haslem will definitely allow him to be more effective in the post. Splitter can have a sneaky decent series off of the P & R's too.

You think Duncan can revert back to the days when he carried the team in the post? I don't know if they days are still here, but I hope he turns back the clock more.

kdspurman
06-03-2013, 11:41 PM
You think Duncan can revert back to the days when he carried the team in the post? I don't know if they days are still here, but I hope he turns back the clock more.

Not for a full game, but in spurts definitely. When the game needs to slow down, I think this is a matchup they can definitely go to him.

This has been his best season in 3 years or so, so I honestly don't even know what to expect from him. Nothing he does amazes me at his age anymore.

Trueblue2
06-04-2013, 05:52 AM
I don't think so. I am sure you could come up with worse. The point is to speak board games where it's generally chess and checkers, but an even lower game than checkers is....tic-tac-toe.

Your opinion=fail

We understand the reasoning behind the analogy, but it's still a bad analogy.

BigEric
06-04-2013, 06:07 AM
I really trust Pop and what he has planned.. I'd love to see the 02 T-mac come back for just this series haha, but realistically, I think a lot of it is going to depend on Kawhi and foul trouble. No one can contain Lebron but the guys after Kawhi REALLY can't contain Lebron. Spurs aren't going to beat the Heat by pounding the ball inside, they're going to have to beat them with execution. The Pacers have better bigs than the Spurs do but I agree with someone else when they said that they didn't use the size enough. They got away from their gameplan. Their three point shooting was pretty bad as well.

Bottom line, I think it comes down to two things. Pop vs Lebron and the Heat's shooters have to hit those shots. It's going to be a pretty good series I think.

jam
06-04-2013, 08:17 AM
With lebron, the heat are obviously solid favorites. Nothing new there. Mia in 6.

jp611
06-04-2013, 08:20 AM
They're a better and more experienced version of Indiana... Spurs in 5

barreleffact
06-04-2013, 08:27 AM
We understand the reasoning behind the analogy, but it's still a bad analogy.

So you understood it...then how is it a BAD analogy? If you don't like it, come up with your own original one :)

barreleffact
06-04-2013, 08:29 AM

agreed except I don't forsee the other parts of the big 3 playing this poorly. I say Spurs, but likely in 6. Then again I could see this one going either way with the Spurs having a chance for a sweep. (highly unlikely but a chance)

Knick_Fever
06-04-2013, 09:00 AM

Actually he's right on. You could use just about any analogy to describe the huge gap between spo and pop in terms of intelligence and strategy. Take a pick.

jam
06-04-2013, 09:06 AM
I've been a huge heat hater ever since the so called big 3 were assembled but you are being completely idiotic.

Indiana is a far younger, faster, more athletic team. They had the wingspans, speed and endurance to extend the series to a full 7 games. There is absolutely no way that the spurs match the pacers' youth and athleticism.

Lebron is going to be a bully all series long and the spurs' old guns will peter out eventually.

I don't doubt the spurs' wilyness or strategic intelligence. But this is a physical game not just a theoretical, intellectual chess match, and there is no doubt that lebron will prove to be too much.

jam
06-04-2013, 09:09 AM
LOL, it doesn't matter at this point. The spurs are no match physically for lebron. You can draw up the most sophisticated plays ever, but if your horses don't have the energy to go, it's going to be a short ride.

I am confident that the spurs can win up to a couple of games, but the series itself is out of reach.

Actually he's right on. You could use just about any analogy to describe the huge gap between spo and pop in terms of intelligence and strategy. Take a pick.

SteBO
06-04-2013, 09:15 AM
This series won't be any less difficult than the ECF was....but in a different way. San Antonio has the discipline and the shooters to keep pace with Miami's offense, even if they aren't as good defensively. I see this going the distance, and it's anybody's series. The Bosh-Duncan matchup will be important, and Miami's gonna have to limit Tony Parker's penetration as much as possible and stay home with the shooters.

And some of you gus are vastly underrating Spo...borderline disrespecting him actually.

Knick_Fever
06-04-2013, 09:20 AM
LOL, it doesn't matter at this point. The spurs are no match physically for lebron. You can draw up the most sophisticated plays ever, but if your horses don't have the energy to go, it's going to be a short ride.

I am confident that the spurs can win up to a couple of games, but the series itself is out of reach.

So you're going to count out the spurs, fresh off a sweep, going against a team that needed 7 games to win out? And Im pretty sure the Spurs have that "energy" they need with all that rest they got. Yes Lebron will get his, but so will parker. Spurs arent the pacers, they're extremely disciplined and are actually better than both teams (heat & pacers) offensively and defensively, just by looking at playoff stats. They have a ton of championship experience, Im sure they'll figure it out, lol.

Knick_Fever
06-04-2013, 09:28 AM
This series won't be any less difficult than the ECF was....but in a different way. San Antonio has the discipline and the shooters to keep pace with Miami's offense, even if they aren't as good defensively. I see this going the distance, and it's anybody's series. The Bosh-Duncan matchup will be important, and Miami's gonna have to limit Tony Parker's penetration as much as possible and stay home with the shooters.

And some of you gus are vastly underrating Spo...borderline disrespecting him actually.

Well said. But I still see an advantage for the spurs inside, Duncan is still playing at a high level in the playoffs 17 ppg, 9 rpg, 1.7 bpg. But he's significantly improved defensively against memphis (3 bpg). And heat will now have too worry about spurs' backcourt scoring and depth, something the pacers didnt have. Im not saying spurs will win, but this series could easily go 7.

3RDASYSTEM
06-04-2013, 09:53 AM

SPO is a RILEY disciple puppet, RILEY vs POP is no gap at all,pure clones if anything and RILEY was first to do it and RILEY has more culture to where he coached SHOWTIME on to rough and gruff grind D style with KNICKS on to same but more open with HEAT going from HARDAWAY-MOURNING to new age BIG 3, POP has shown to open it up on OFF side, but I give edge to RILEY overall
JORDAN was better and younger than 91' version of MAGIC, this is no diff. with BRON to DUNCAN so the best player gap is more than the coaching since we all know RILEY is calling the shots behind the scenes, or do you beg to differ?

When you're as good as those players above age is the only thing that will settle it, 37 or 28yrs old superstar legend? who you got

Auseranami
06-04-2013, 09:56 AM
*disclaimer* i am not a spurs fan at all, in fact im far from it, i just cant stand miami.
spurs swept the lakers, beat the high-octane scoring of the warriors, and swept the tough, gritty, defensive-minded grizzlies. the only thing the heat have that the spurs dont is lebron. spurs have shooters. they can score down low. the can get penetration. they can play solid defense. they have championship experience. they have pop. the heat just came off of a tough 7 game series. wade isnt his normal self and bosh is banged up. the only way see the heat winning is if the spurs get a couple of injuries (theyre and old team, im surprised they have been as healthy as they are) or lebron balls out of his ****ing mind and he gets help from wade and bosh. there is nothing to make me believe that wade will revert back to his old self or bosh will be as effective as he should be, so this team rests solely on lebrons shoulders. i say spurs in 5, however, i wouldnt be too surprised if the heat push them to 7, or if the spurs complete their second sweep over lebron.

Jdawg
06-04-2013, 11:07 AM
Kahwi Leonard is not old. He will have plenty of energy for Lebron. Just a matter of foul trouble for him.

barreleffact
06-04-2013, 02:45 PM
I've been a huge heat hater ever since the so called big 3 were assembled but you are being completely idiotic.

Indiana is a far younger, faster, more athletic team. They had the wingspans, speed and endurance to extend the series to a full 7 games. There is absolutely no way that the spurs match the pacers' youth and athleticism.

Lebron is going to be a bully all series long and the spurs' old guns will peter out eventually.

I don't doubt the spurs' wilyness or strategic intelligence. But this is a physical game not just a theoretical, intellectual chess match, and there is no doubt that lebron will prove to be too much.

Seriously? How is it out of reach? The grizzlies are fairly physical, yet the Spurs destroyed them. The Warriors are young, yet the Spurs beat them. Miami is not exactly a physical team, and the Spurs have better shooter than Indiana and better penetration. TP and Ginobili both are very good on the break to a level that Indiana was incapable of being. I agree it isn't totally mental to a large extent, but don't say the Spurs are too old or can't hang because their system has been tried and tested and they can execute. In fact from top to bottom the Spurs are younger than the Heat. However, I do understand that the heats big 3 are younger than 2 of the Spurs big 3.

I don't see either team being a large favorite, but if I had to choose one to be, it would be the Spurs, but thats just IMO. They have had a week to analyze the Heat thoroughly and really get to see what flusters them, and despite what you may think, I truly think the Spurs have the defense and personnel to CONTAIN or at least LIMIT Lebron. No team can stop him, but they have solid wing defenders to put on him such as K Leonard and Ginobiflop. And their rotations are generally crisp. Indiana's only true strength compared to the Spurs is Hibbert, but he was underutilized very frequently, and West was hit or miss in a few key games. The Spurs interior players should be able to at least test the Heat's if nothing else.

barreleffact
06-04-2013, 02:48 PM
*disclaimer* i am not a spurs fan at all, in fact im far from it, i just cant stand miami.
spurs swept the lakers, beat the high-octane scoring of the warriors, and swept the tough, gritty, defensive-minded grizzlies. the only thing the heat have that the spurs dont is lebron. spurs have shooters. they can score down low. the can get penetration. they can play solid defense. they have championship experience. they have pop. the heat just came off of a tough 7 game series. wade isnt his normal self and bosh is banged up. the only way see the heat winning is if the spurs get a couple of injuries (theyre and old team, im surprised they have been as healthy as they are) or lebron balls out of his ****ing mind and he gets help from wade and bosh. there is nothing to make me believe that wade will revert back to his old self or bosh will be as effective as he should be, so this team rests solely on lebrons shoulders. i say spurs in 5, however, i wouldnt be too surprised if the heat push them to 7, or if the spurs complete their second sweep over lebron.

This pretty much. Honestly, Lebron has been pretty vocal to Dwyane and Bosh lately. I wonder if that has caused any chemistry issues. Blasting them in private is one thing, but he has said a lot of shady things to or about them publicly lately. I wonder if that has caused any sort of rift or frustration that Lebron is getting full of himself compared to them. I'm not saying it has, but it could be a focus if things get worse.

SPO is a RILEY disciple puppet, RILEY vs POP is no gap at all,pure clones if anything and RILEY was first to do it and RILEY has more culture to where he coached SHOWTIME on to rough and gruff grind D style with KNICKS on to same but more open with HEAT going from HARDAWAY-MOURNING to new age BIG 3, POP has shown to open it up on OFF side, but I give edge to RILEY overall
JORDAN was better and younger than 91' version of MAGIC, this is no diff. with BRON to DUNCAN so the best player gap is more than the coaching since we all know RILEY is calling the shots behind the scenes, or do you beg to differ?

When you're as good as those players above age is the only thing that will settle it, 37 or 28yrs old superstar legend? who you got

There has been nothing I have read or heard that suggests Riley is actually pulling the shots. Everytime this comes up, players and staff repeatedly say that Spo is in charge and Riley has taken a back seat. I am not suggesting Riley does not interject at the request of Spo, but if so, then why did the Heat lose to Dallas if Riley is as legendary and in charge?

I do think the best player gap (Lebron to TONY Parker) is about as equivalent as the gap of Riley and Pop. I give the edge to Pop though FAIRLY easily but am in no way suggesting Riley is not an elite coach. Regardless, the gap from Spo and Pop I see as very wide. The 91' Magic vs MJ comparison holds no baring here IMO. This is no longer TD's team. It is TP's team. PLUS, MJ was in an entirely different stratosphere. MJ had some of the best stats NBA finals may ever see. LBJ will likely not replicate MJ's efficiency for that series. I seriously cannot see that happening.

Thanks, and i agree. I'm still waiting something else original to be said, but ah well. I'm not butt hurt over it. Regardless, the gap is evident. I don't think Spo is a bad coach; he has impressed me at times this post-season. However, he is no Pop which seems pretty evident to most.

MTar786
06-04-2013, 05:25 PM
heat in 6.book it

JordansBulls
06-04-2013, 05:29 PM
Put it this way going into the finals in 2011 Miami vs Dallas and going into the finals in 2013 Miami vs SA. I'd say going in that SA has a much better shot of beating Miami than Dallas did. And I am sure most would agree as well. Miami is the favorite in either case, just think the odds of SA winning is greater than it was for Dallas.

calmunderfireKO
06-04-2013, 05:35 PM
Put it this way going into the finals in 2011 Miami vs Dallas and going into the finals in 2013 Miami vs SA. I'd say going in that SA has a much better shot of beating Miami than Dallas did. And I am sure most would agree as well. Miami is the favorite in either case, just think the odds of SA winning is greater than it was for Dallas.

Dallas caught lightening in a bottle. A title is a title, but if they play 10 series I had the Heat winning 8 or 9.

mrblisterdundee
06-04-2013, 06:30 PM
Tony Parker>Mario >>> Chalmers
Danny Green << Dwyane Wade
Kawhi Leonard <<< LeBron James
Tim Duncan >>> Udonis Haslem
Tiago Splitter << Chris Bosh
San Antonio Bench = Miami

I give a slight advantage to Miami in terms of roster. San Antonio has some good defenders to start against James and Wade. Duncan will do well against Miami's front court. A lot, as almost always, will depend on health. The Spurs got a nice rest before the Finals.

torocan
06-04-2013, 06:34 PM
Honestly I see this one as a toss up.

Nobody in the NBA is like Lebron, but no team in the NBA is like the Spurs. Pops coaches circles around Spo and that makes a difference.

Miami has never played a long series against a team as cohesive, disciplined or well coached as the Spurs. And I don't care how long and athletic the Heat are, you can't outrun a pass. And the Spurs are the best passing team in the NBA.

OKC was tailor made for the Heat. The Spurs are everything that OKC is not... experienced, wiley, disciplined and patient... and oh yah, they have *never* lost a series in 4 appearances in the Finals.

I think this goes 7.

Cubby
06-04-2013, 06:35 PM

Not really. Spo actually isn't a very good coach if you watch his offensive sets from game to game. He runs a playground offense, or a five out system. Everyone stands out the perimeter with one ball handler and one pick setter. A good defense feasts on this and you saw what Indiana did almost all series long to it. Not to mention he's incredibly stubborn when it comes to the big man hedging on pick and rolls. He constantly forces the big, whether it's Bosh or Haslem, to come up and double the ball handler, leaving the screener (in this case, Hibbert) to roll into the paint and get great position relatively easily. This forces someone from the perimeter to come over (it was more often than not Chalmers coming over) and guard the big which results an easy lay in or dunk.

He occasionally shows flashes of running a decent offense, sometimes running horns, posting LeBron, etc. But he's SO inconsistent when it comes to game planning and adjustments that I have a hard time even calling him a decent coach.

Cubby
06-04-2013, 06:37 PM
People mention pace, but well coached teams and great teams force their opponent to play at their pace. Last time I checked, Pop is the best coach in the league. I think Pop gives San Antonio such a huge advantage it isn't even funny.

I have Spurs in six, but wouldn't be surprised by it ending in five.

jam
06-04-2013, 07:09 PM
Anyone comparing the heat to the grizzlies is completely lost.

The spurs are about as well coached a team as you'll find. I love their ball movement and completely unselfish style of play. It's amazing how they get teams scrambling, and looking utterly confused on just about every play. (re: westbrook).

Unfortunately, the heat's best players are all in their prime: at 31, 29, and 28. The heat also have home court advantage. They also have lebron, who is enough to tip the scales, even under less favorable circumstances.

The spurs best players are 37, 35, and 31.

The heat will attack the interior with lebron and wade, and hope that bosh can draw out their bigs by popping from long range and mid range.

Timmy's the key, and the heat want him in foul trouble and overworked. In his late 20's and early 30's, I think he'd be up to the task. At this point in his career, he's going to need a lot of help on the defensive end.

The heat are going to spend a lot of time at the foul line, and keep the spurs defense on their heels as they waver between committing fully and hedge to prevent getting fouls.

Ultimately, with two great teams, this really comes down to any discernible differences in athleticism and endurance. The heat are a massive favorite in that regard. They also have home court advantage. And they have the best player in the game by a huge margin.

Heat in 6.

jam
06-04-2013, 07:14 PM
But they also have no answer for lebron.

None of their players have the foot speed to match lebron or wade. And the spurs are hopelessly outmatched vertically.

Bosh will have all of the space he needs as a result to pop open jumpers.

If the heat get anything like normal contributions from wade and bosh, and if any of their bench players step up (battier, ray ray), this could be a short series.

The spurs are a terrific team with unmatched team chemistry. But they are an alarmingly sharp drop off athletically from the pacers, who are years away from reaching their peak.

The heat are going to be breathing easy in comparison to the previous series.

I agree with your assessment of the strengths of the spurs, but you are really giving short thrift to the strengths of the heat. In fact, you completely discount their strengths altogether.

Honestly I see this one as a toss up.

Nobody in the NBA is like Lebron, but no team in the NBA is like the Spurs. Pops coaches circles around Spo and that makes a difference.

Miami has never played a long series against a team as cohesive, disciplined or well coached as the Spurs. And I don't care how long and athletic the Heat are, you can't outrun a pass. And the Spurs are the best passing team in the NBA.

OKC was tailor made for the Heat. The Spurs are everything that OKC is not... experienced, wiley, disciplined and patient... and oh yah, they have *never* lost a series in 4 appearances in the Finals.

I think this goes 7.

h2r09
06-04-2013, 07:15 PM
I understand Pop is an amazing coach, but stop talking about "running circles" around Spo. Spo whether you want to do actual research or not is one of the best coaches in the leaghue as well and anyone who has been around him will tell you that.

kdspurman
06-04-2013, 07:22 PM
Anyone comparing the heat to the grizzlies is completely lost.

The spurs are about as well coached a team as you'll find. I love their ball movement and completely unselfish style of play. It's amazing how they get teams scrambling, and looking utterly confused on just about every play. (re: westbrook).

Unfortunately, the heat's best players are all in their prime: at 31, 29, and 28. The heat also have home court advantage. They also have lebron, who is enough to tip the scales, even under less favorable circumstances.

The heat will attack the interior with lebron and wade, and hope that bosh can draw out their bigs by popping from long range and mid range.

Timmy's the key, and the heat want him in foul trouble and overworked. In his late 20's and early 30's, I think he'd be up to the task. At this point in his career, he's going to need a lot of help on the defensive end.

The heat are going to spend a lot of time at the foul line, and keep the spurs defense on their heels as they waver between committing fully and hedge to prevent getting fouls.

Ultimately, with two great teams, this really comes down to any discernible differences in athleticism and endurance. The heat are a massive favorite in that regard. They also have home court advantage. And they have the best player in the game by a huge margin.

Heat in 6.

fwiw, the Spurs foul the least of any team in the league. They play the best defense in the league without fouling, so don't really agree with that.

justinnum1
06-04-2013, 07:27 PM
Spurs D wont be as tough as indy was

D-Leethal
06-04-2013, 07:34 PM
Everytime somebody creates a post analyzing a game or series and uses the position > position matchup argument, 100s of users on this site and even more guests reading these threads become less intelligent basketball fans.

D-Leethal
06-04-2013, 07:35 PM

Spurs O will taking a steaming dump on Indy's. Spurs aren't gonna turn the ball over like Indy and they will turn your traps into layups, 3s and dunks instead of turnovers and timeouts.

Heat will not be able to survive a complete dud out of both Wade and Bosh for 3 games let alone 6 against the Spurs.

I am leaning towards the Heat but don't act like Indy is a much tougher series. This is going to be every bit as tough, and your going to have to play much better than you did last series to win.

Jdawg
06-04-2013, 07:42 PM

Heat in 6.

False.

Kahwi Leonard is actually the Spurs 3rd best player ahead of Manu. And he's only 21.

SportsFanatic10
06-04-2013, 07:58 PM
Spurs O will taking a steaming dump on Indy's. Spurs aren't gonna turn the ball over like Indy and they will turn your traps into layups, 3s and dunks instead of turnovers and timeouts.

Heat will not be able to survive a complete dud out of both Wade and Bosh for 3 games let alone 6 against the Spurs.

I am leaning towards the Heat but don't act like Indy is a much tougher series. This is going to be every bit as tough, and your going to have to play much better than you did last series to win.

i agree with this, the heat can survive 1 of the big 3 struggling a bit but not 2. especially if battier and allen are cold from 3. i'm bracing for what i expect to be a very tightly contested series.

kdspurman
06-04-2013, 08:22 PM

"tough"? probably not in terms of how guys like West & Stephenson play. But best defensive team in the post-season is nothing to sleep on. This isn't the Spurs team of last year, they play really good defense now. It's why they're here now.

beasted86
06-04-2013, 08:42 PM
Everytime somebody creates a post analyzing a game or series and uses the position > position matchup argument, 100s of users on this site and even more guests reading these threads become less intelligent basketball fans.

Chalmers/Cole <<< Parker/Joseph
Wade/Allen >>> Green/Neal
James/Miller >>>>>> Leonard/Ginobili
Haslem/Battier <<<<< Duncan/Bonner
Bosh/Andersen >> Splitter/Diaw

HEAT: 11 ">"
Spurs: 8 ">"
11 > 8
HEAT > Spurs

Heediot
06-04-2013, 08:46 PM
I think Miami matches up well against the Spurs.

The best way to beat the Heat is to bust them inside, but Duncan cannot dominate in the post like he used to.

His game is much more face up oriented and reliant on guard penetration now. He's 37 years old it was going to happen eventually.

The speed and length of the Miami wings will make it difficult for Parker and Ginobili to wreak havoc.

I think Miami's defense will win this series.

Good post. Spurs need to utilize Splitter inside and force them to defend down low.

OceanSpray
06-04-2013, 08:46 PM
Wow, can you guys honestly tell me how you guys plan on stopping LeBron? No one on your team collectively can stop LeBron. Pacers can collectively stop LeBron by clogging the paint. Duncan is not big/long enough to stop James from driving. That is why I think that although Duncan is a better player, Hibbert caused more difficulties. Two completely different things. Why do you think LeBron couldn't get to the paint during the Pacers series? Also, Spurs aren't going to destroy Miami from the paint like Pacers did. Tony Parker can be stopped. He's no mini LeBron James.. Unless you're saying Parker=James, let's not say "who's guarding Parker". Guarding James is 10x the impact.

Knick_Fever
06-04-2013, 09:03 PM
Wow, can you guys honestly tell me how you guys plan on stopping LeBron? No one on your team collectively can stop LeBron. Pacers can collectively stop LeBron by clogging the paint. Duncan is not big/long enough to stop James from driving. That is why I think that although Duncan is a better player, Hibbert caused more difficulties. Two completely different things. Why do you think LeBron couldn't get to the paint during the Pacers series? Also, Spurs aren't going to destroy Miami from the paint like Pacers did. Tony Parker can be stopped. He's no mini LeBron James.. Unless you're saying Parker=James, let's not say "who's guarding Parker". Guarding James is 10x the impact.

No one can stop lebron and the spurs will have no answer for him in terms of scoring. And thats exactly what the spurs want, for him to score. By "stopping" him the idea is to limit the supporting cast. But the problem for the heat will be trying to slow the spurs down on the offensive end, who are much better than the pacers in that department (averaging 10+ better in the playoffs). They execute to perfection, limiting mistakes.

D-Leethal
06-04-2013, 09:05 PM
You don't have to shut down LeBron to beat the Miami Heat. LeBron isn't winning this series by himself and if his teammates don't join the party until game 7 it will be over long before that.

Cubby
06-04-2013, 09:08 PM
I understand Pop is an amazing coach, but stop talking about "running circles" around Spo. Spo whether you want to do actual research or not is one of the best coaches in the leaghue as well and anyone who has been around him will tell you that.

Sounds like you're the one who needs to do the research.

jam
06-04-2013, 09:10 PM
Never go full ******, son.

False.

Kahwi Leonard is actually the Spurs 3rd best player ahead of Manu. And he's only 21.

Kyben36
06-04-2013, 09:14 PM
defensivly they match up worse than the bulls (at full strength) but better than the Pacers

offensvily, they are probably about as good as you get, with a good PG, SG, PF, and alot of good role players.

I take the Spurts in 5 though,

jam
06-04-2013, 09:14 PM
Wishful thinking. Bosh and Wade will have a much easier time against Spurs' defenders than they did against the pacers.

Bosh was completely worn out playing out of position, trying to guard the much bigger, stronger and younger Hibbert.

Wade was horrific on the offensive end. There's no way to go but up for this series.

The pacers were massively under rated and the spurs are a little bit overrated.

It will be a competitive series, but the spurs with their age, just can't grind it out over the course of a 7 game series. They'll be worn down trying to keep up with the more athletic heat and defeated. It will be a good series, and the heat will win.

You don't have to shut down LeBron to beat the Miami Heat. LeBron isn't winning this series by himself and if his teammates don't join the party until game 7 it will be over long before that.

Kyben36
06-04-2013, 09:15 PM

Leanard has plently of athletic ability, length and strength to handle lebron, not like jimmy did, but he will hold his own, and the thing about them is they play Team defense, similarly to the bulls

Jdawg
06-04-2013, 09:16 PM
The Spurs are younger than the Heat and play at a faster pace. So this old and slow argument makes you look silly.

It will be a competitive series, but the spurs with their age, just can't grind it out over the course of a 7 game series. They'll be worn down trying to keep up with the more athletic heat and defeated. It will be a good series, and the heat will win.

beasted86
06-04-2013, 09:17 PM
You have to look no further than the regular season to see who the better team is in this matchup. The HEAT scrubs + Bosh beat the Spurs.

The regular season tells you everything you need to know about the playoffs.

HEAT >>>>>> Spurs.

The Big 3 will easily take out the Old 3.

jam
06-04-2013, 09:23 PM
That's just dumb. Reg. season results are now meaningless. Mia has the home court advantage which does make a difference, but their w/l head to head reg. season doesn't tell us anything.

I would love to see this go a full 7. I almost want to change my prediction to a spurs victory because of monkeys like you.

You have to look no further than the regular season to see who the better team is in this matchup. The HEAT scrubs + Bosh beat the Spurs.

HEAT >>>>>> Spurs.

jam
06-04-2013, 09:25 PM
Yeah, that's what knicks fans said, lol.

I take that back; the knicks were in a BETTER situation age-wise, since their old guys were principally role players. With the spurs, their old guys are their BEST players.

I'm looking forward to a good series. I hold no illusions about the matchups however.

The Spurs are younger than the Heat and play at a faster pace. So this old and slow argument makes you look silly.

jam
06-04-2013, 09:26 PM
The spurs are a much better team than the bulls. It will be a far more competitive series. Or, so one would assume on paper.

Leanard has plently of athletic ability, length and strength to handle lebron, not like jimmy did, but he will hold his own, and the thing about them is they play Team defense, similarly to the bulls

Jdawg
06-04-2013, 09:27 PM
Yeah, that's what knicks fans said, lol.

I take that back; the knicks were in a BETTER situation age-wise, since their old guys were principally role players. With the spurs, their old guys are their BEST players.

I'm looking forward to a good series. I hold no illusions about the matchups however.

That's one of the best parts of this series is there's a ton of unknown with no true regular season data to analyze between these two teams. The match-ups look good to me other than of course LeBron James. It will come down to him and which team's role players are hitting their open 3s. It's going to be a really good series.

Knick_Fever
06-04-2013, 09:31 PM

HEAT >>>>>> Spurs.

Yeah!!!!

beasted86
06-04-2013, 09:32 PM
That's just dumb. Reg. season results are now meaningless. Mia has the home court advantage which does make a difference, but their w/l head to head reg. season doesn't tell us anything.

I would love to see this go a full 7. I almost want to change my prediction to a spurs victory because of monkeys like you.

Why are you calling me dumb? That's baiting and you should get banned.

I am just stating my opinion.

The regular season has everything to do with the playoffs, and especially the Finals. If the HEAT beat the Spurs 2-0 in the regular season, it's only natural to expect Miami to sweep the Spurs 4-0 in the Finals. Spurs realistically have no chance of winning this series. Their best players are worn down, and Ginobili is way more banged up than Wade is. Parker will not have a field day off the pick and roll like he has done against other teams like the Warriors and Grizzlies who's bigs are slow and immobile and unwilling to step up off the pick and roll to contest him. HEAT will have this series over in 4 in commanding style.

#LETSGOHEAT

jam
06-04-2013, 09:40 PM
Let's just say you are being ignorant. The playoffs are a completely different beast. The level of intensity skyrockets. You don't see teams playing anywhere near 10/10ths during the regular season.

Duncan and the rest of the spurs starters were playing signifcantly fewer minutes during the RS. They sat out games. They weren't going full tilt.

The spurs will be forced to play all out now, and this means they will be fatigued at the end of games, and will become less effective as the series wears on. This is reality.

It's common sense. Take a look at the top players and their results in they approached their mid 30's. Shaq was shaq every other game in the pistons finals. Kobe at 34 can only play on one end of the court. Jordan was completely spent at the end of games at 34 and 35.

To assume that duncan and manu can keep up with lebron, bosh and wade over the course of a max effort 7 game series is just so dumb it's pointless to even entertain the idea.

Sorry for calling you dumb, but the evidence suggests that this is a fair assessment of your opinion.

The regular season has everything to do with the playoffs, and especially the Finals. If the HEAT beat the Spurs 2-0 in the regular season, it's only natural to expect Miami to sweep the Spurs 4-0 in the Finals. Spurs realistically have no chance of winning this series. Their best players are worn down, and Ginobili is way more banged up than Wade is. Parker will not have a field day off the pick and roll like he has done against other teams like the Warriors and Grizzlies who's bigs are slow and immobile and unwilling to step up off the pick and roll to contest him. HEAT will have this series over in 4 in commanding style.

#LETSGOHEAT

Byronicle
06-04-2013, 09:41 PM

HEAT >>>>>> Spurs.

You mean Heat plus a Franchise Player and starter Bosh

Whereas Spurs with ZERO starters almost beat the Heat (w/all their starters)

The latter is more impressive

ztilzer31
06-04-2013, 09:44 PM

You realize the Spurs lost to the Heat later in the season without LBJ or Dwyane Wade right?

beasted86
06-04-2013, 09:48 PM

What is this almost nonsense?

Patrick Ewing "almost" made that layup in '95 to send his team to the Finals.

Byron Russell "almost" perfectly defended that Jordan jumper in Game 7 of the '98 Finals.

#almost

Byronicle
06-04-2013, 09:52 PM
You realize the Spurs lost to the Heat later in the season without LBJ or Dwyane Wade right?

You do realize I indirectly acknowledged that?

What is this almost nonsense?

Patrick Ewing "almost" made that layup in '95 to send his team to the Finals.

Byron Russell "almost" perfectly defended that Jordan jumper in Game 7 of the '98 Finals.

#almost

You know Bosh beat a much better Spurs team while on a crappier Raptors supporting cast.

Your hashtag in an inappropriate setting is the badge of douchebaggery

Teeboy1487
06-04-2013, 10:04 PM
I see the Heat making quick work of the Spurs for some reason. I just don't see Parker being effective against the Heat's ball pressure and traps. Ginoblli is a question mark and Duncan is far from his prime. I'm sorry but no team in the league can outplay the Heat on the perimeter. I got the Heat in 5.

mrblisterdundee
06-04-2013, 10:05 PM
Chalmers/Cole <<< Parker/Joseph
Wade/Allen >>> Green/Neal
James/Miller >>>>>> Leonard/Ginobili
Haslem/Battier <<<<< Duncan/Bonner
Bosh/Andersen >> Splitter/Diaw

HEAT: 11 ">"
Spurs: 8 ">"
11 > 8
HEAT > Spurs

You forgot the coaches:
Erik Spoelstra <<<< Greg Popovich.

That's 11-12 advantage Spurs.

beasted86
06-04-2013, 10:08 PM
You forgot the coaches:
Erik Spoelstra <<<< Greg Popovich.

That's 11-12 – advantage Spurs.
No, you miscalculated.

Erik Spoelstra << Greg Popovich.

That makes it 11-10 still HEAT advantage.

KnickaBocka.44
06-04-2013, 10:11 PM

#LETSGOHEAT

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

So the Knicks would have beaten the Heat in 5 or 6 games?

beasted86
06-04-2013, 10:15 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
What is so funny?

Regular season means everything. I think as a Knicks fan you should know all about this.

Like I said, the regular season says all we need to know about what a Finals matchup would look like.

The HEAT beating the Pacers was really just a fluke because the Pacers beat the HEAT 3-1 in the regular season. If Miami would have faced the Knicks we likely would have lost because of what happened in the regular season.

KnickaBocka.44
06-04-2013, 10:17 PM
What is so funny?

Regular season means everything. I think as a Knicks fan you should know all about this.

Like I said, the regular season says all we need to know about what a Finals matchup would look like.

The HEAT beating the Pacers was really just a fluke because the Pacers beat the HEAT 3-1 in the regular season. If Miami would have faced the Knicks we likely would have lost because of what happened in the regular season.

Stop.

mrblisterdundee
06-04-2013, 10:20 PM

That was without Manu Ginobili.
Remember that game in November 2012 when the Spurs sat Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Ginobili and came within five points of beating a full Heat roster – including their entire Big Three – in Miami?

OceanSpray
06-04-2013, 10:20 PM
Bosh has always played well against Duncan. He's going to be the game changer for Miami. As for Wade, he'll just have to look for easy baskets. His knee is a huge issue, but he needs to do a better job of finding his own shots.

OceanSpray
06-04-2013, 10:21 PM
What is so funny?

Regular season doesn't mean instant champions.. I'm ashamed to be the same fan of a team that you are. You don't make any sense. Now I know why people hate Heat fans.

jam
06-04-2013, 10:38 PM
I wasn't very impressed with Spoelstra against the pacers. He completely wasted Bosh as an offensive option by having him guard Hibbert the entire series.

In retrospect, you would think that he would force hibbert to work harder on the defensive end by getting the ball to bosh, having him shoot on the perimeter, and drawing hibbert out of the paint. Instead, bosh barely shot the ball at all.

Spoelstra made absolutely zero meaningful adjustments in the series, and almost lost the series. It took a herculean effort in game 7 for the heat to pull it out.

Bosh has always played well against Duncan. He's going to be the game changer for Miami. As for Wade, he'll just have to look for easy baskets. His knee is a huge issue, but he needs to do a better job of finding his own shots.

FreakaNashur
06-04-2013, 10:57 PM
let the games begin on thursday, ok?

jam
06-04-2013, 11:00 PM
Bah. Looking at my schedule, might not even get to watch game 1. :/

koreancabbage
06-04-2013, 11:07 PM
I wasn't very impressed with Spoelstra against the pacers. He completely wasted Bosh as an offensive option by having him guard Hibbert the entire series.

In retrospect, you would think that he would force hibbert to work harder on the defensive end by getting the ball to bosh, having him shoot on the perimeter, and drawing hibbert out of the paint. Instead, bosh barely shot the ball at all.

Spoelstra made absolutely zero meaningful adjustments in the series, and almost lost the series. It took a herculean effort in game 7 for the heat to pull it out.

Spo is going to keep it until someone proves they can beat his system. At the end of the day, Heat are in the finals and Pacers aren't. Spo isn't going to bend towards and try to get his team to stop playing the way they have always been playing. Its what got them so successful in the first place. In some matchups Bosh is going to have the advantage (i.e. last year vs Bulls and OKC) Against Indiana, Lebron had the advantage.

In the end, Miami outlasted Indiana as both teams wore each other down.

jam
06-04-2013, 11:13 PM
Your post contains absolutely zero information of any kind. KEEP WHAT????? SPO'S GOING TO KEEP DOING SOMETHING STUPID AND INEFFECTIVE BY HAVING BOSH GUARD HIBBERT? YEAH, GREAT JOB.

Anyway.....it was pure luck that the heat escaped with a series victory. Vogel made a glaring error in game 1, or else the pacers win in 6.

The EC was largely depleted this season, with rose, granger, and rajon on the shelf.

They face a much more difficult challenge next season with all of those players returning, and the pacers looming as a major threat.

Wade's decline has been alarming as well. I don't see him as a consistent postseason scoring threat in the future.

Spo is going to keep it until someone proves they can beat his system. At the end of the day, Heat are in the finals and Pacers aren't. Spo isn't going to bend towards and try to get his team to stop playing the way they have always been playing. Its what got them so successful in the first place. In some matchups Bosh is going to have the advantage (i.e. last year vs Bulls and OKC) Against Indiana, Lebron had the advantage.

In the end, Miami outlasted Indiana as both teams wore each other down.

mrblisterdundee
06-09-2013, 08:26 PM
Imagine that. A Miami fan overestimates how good of a coach Spoelstra is. He crumples without his Big Three playing well, just like Scott Brooks crumpled when Russell Westbrook went out. Meanwhile, Popovich is a chess player who wins with whoever he has on a given night.

No, you miscalculated.

Erik Spoelstra << Greg Popovich.

That makes it 11-10 still HEAT advantage.

feelingit
06-09-2013, 10:09 PM
I'm watching the game right now and reality has hit me.

Miami is the New York Yankees of the NBA. They have all the best players.

It just sucks.