PDA

View Full Version : Knicks announce Jason Kidd retiring

kdspurman
06-03-2013, 12:29 PM
NY_KnicksPR ‏@NY_KnicksPR 1m
June 3, 2013 - NY Knicks EVP & GM Glen Grunwald announced that NBA Great Jason Kidd has retired from playing professional basketball.

He had a great run. Glad he was able to get himself a ring :clap:

First Hill now Kidd. Came in together, and go out together lol

DoMeFavors
06-03-2013, 12:33 PM
the 94 class gone in a week, that is weird Kidd said just last week the plan was to stay in the NBA. Now retired.

KnickaBocka.44
06-03-2013, 12:34 PM
Always loved him as a player. Not the greatest way to go out, but his legacy will far outweigh his last 9 games.

The NBA sorely needs more players like J. Kidd.

nycericanguy
06-03-2013, 12:35 PM
Left $6.2m on the table... classy guy all around... had some great games for NY this year, but overall looked overmatched.

ManningToTyree
06-03-2013, 12:39 PM
Great career but he was clearly finished.

todu82
06-03-2013, 12:44 PM
Always a solid player, question is does he make the Hall of Fame?

nycericanguy
06-03-2013, 12:46 PM

He's easily a 1st ballot HOFER

solid? one of the greatest pG's to ever play,,, are you kidding?

HYFR
06-03-2013, 12:49 PM

Not sure is serious here.

*Superman*
06-03-2013, 12:51 PM

That's about as funny as my sig.

Anyways nice to see him and Hill go out together, it always sucks seeing guys that have been in the league so long retire though.

bleedprple&gold
06-03-2013, 12:52 PM
the 94 class gone in a week, that is weird Kidd said just last week the plan was to stay in the NBA. Now retired.

Juwan Howard is still technically "playing" lol but he's pretty much an assistant coach at this point.

Maybe Hill's decision to retire influenced his decision? They came in the league together, I guess he wanted them to go out together.

ghettosean
06-03-2013, 12:52 PM
He had a great run. Glad he was able to get himself a ring :clap:

First Hill now Kidd. Came in together, and go out together lol

I know he's old and all but I didn't see that coming!

Poor dude... I'm glad he got a ring and all before he went out (he deserved it) but he also blacklisted his name from Dallas when he left :S

All for 1 year with the Knicks who somewhat under preformed this playoffs... Pretty sure everyone thought the knicks would be facing Miami in the ECF. Hope he gets a coaching job somewhere I know that's what he wanted after playing.

Jetsguy
06-03-2013, 12:57 PM
One of the best PG's of all time, and 1st ballot HOFer

HowFit
06-03-2013, 12:58 PM
Wow, thought he would play another year or two. HOF for sure!

HowFit
06-03-2013, 12:58 PM
I know he's old and all but I didn't see that coming!

Poor dude... I'm glad he got a ring and all before he went out (he deserved it) but he also blacklisted his name from Dallas when he left :S

All for 1 year with the Knicks who somewhat under preformed this playoffs... Pretty sure everyone thought the knicks would be facing Miami in the ECF. Hope he gets a coaching job somewhere I know that's what he wanted after playing.

cool sig, bro!

teddygreen17
06-03-2013, 12:59 PM
Top 5 greatest PG all Time. Might be Smartest Player all time. Salute.

Laidback_Scrapp
06-03-2013, 01:00 PM
This is a sad day for the NBA. Top 5 point guard all time. We may never see another Jason Kidd

DoMeFavors
06-03-2013, 01:01 PM
Kidd has always been a secret guy that just leaves team, I could see him pulling a Derek Fisher and signing with a team in March to get another ring. Dont think he wanted to waste anymore time on the Knicks. The Knicks are not a Jason Kidd type team. Kidd is about sharing the ball.

Bravo95
06-03-2013, 01:03 PM
Waiting for Toni Braxton's official statement.

Jint.
06-03-2013, 01:06 PM
you will be missed J. Kidd... :cheers:

HYFR
06-03-2013, 01:08 PM
Kidd has always been a secret guy that just leaves team, I could see him pulling a Derek Fisher and signing with a team in March to get another ring. Dont think he wanted to waste anymore time on the Knicks. The Knicks are not a Jason Kidd type team. Kidd is about sharing the ball.

This...

Is a dumb comment

bleedprple&gold
06-03-2013, 01:12 PM
Ok Jerry Stackhouse, you're next, time to hang 'em up.

SlimKid
06-03-2013, 01:12 PM
Ha!

netsgiantsyanks
06-03-2013, 01:15 PM

lolwut. first ballot.

netsgiantsyanks
06-03-2013, 01:17 PM
:crying: :crying: have such beautiful memories of him in jersey.

Rockice_8
06-03-2013, 01:23 PM
My favorite player of all time just left the game. . . Very sad day for me.

BALLER R
06-03-2013, 01:24 PM
does he get his jersey retired?

Vinny642
06-03-2013, 01:24 PM
Hof!

BigBlueCrew
06-03-2013, 01:25 PM
Great player in his time. Appreciated the effort he gave the Knicks in the first half of the season :clap:

KniCks4LiFe
06-03-2013, 01:26 PM
great career, got that ring. Good for him.

Now we have to find a PG.

flea
06-03-2013, 01:28 PM
Left $6.2m on the table... classy guy all around... had some great games for NY this year, but overall looked overmatched.
He was a great player but I don't think many would agree that he's "classy." Least of all the women in his life.

DoMeFavors
06-03-2013, 01:29 PM
great career, got that ring. Good for him.

Now we have to find a PG.

Is Felton not a pg? or prigoni? or the draft pick?

Rain City
06-03-2013, 01:34 PM
j kidd makes my all time team. salute.

what does he do now that hes retired? analyst? coach? exec? i think he can be a head coach sooner than later... at least a valuable assistant.

b@llhog24
06-03-2013, 01:43 PM

Da fuq did I just read?

Chronz
06-03-2013, 01:51 PM
scumbag, knew he wouldn't play out the entire contract, just wanted one last check

RaiderLakersA's
06-03-2013, 01:55 PM
Big round of applause for Jason Kidd. Time for him to come back to the Bay Area and maybe take an assistant coach job with the Warriors.

bleedprple&gold
06-03-2013, 02:08 PM
scumbag, knew he wouldn't play out the entire contract, just wanted one last check

Yea I was surprised he signed a 3-year deal. That was way too long at his age. Does he still get all the money left on his contract?

waveycrockett
06-03-2013, 02:11 PM
He is arguable the best PG of this generation and a top-2 or 3 PG of all time. J.Kidd was my favorite player for a long time if he had a jump shot he would have won a few MVP's.

Hellcrooner
06-03-2013, 02:12 PM
Best Point Guard in the last 15 years.
"Only" third all time in my book behind Magic and Stockton.

Chronz
06-03-2013, 02:13 PM
Yea I was surprised he signed a 3-year deal. That was way too long at his age. Does he still get all the money left on his contract?

Yes, dont know why some people think hes leaving money on the table by walking away.

TeamSeattle
Is Felton not a pg? or prigoni? or the draft pick?

We need a legit pg to be able to contend, you know someone who can hit a jumpshot consistently. Prigs is great but he's 35 years old and passes up open shots from fear of missing.

Chronz
He is arguable the best PG of this generation and a top-2 or 3 PG of all time. J.Kidd was my favorite player for a long time if he had a jump shot he would have won a few MVP's.

Remember what he said when asked why hes never improved that jumper?

waveycrockett
06-03-2013, 02:19 PM

I just remember him missing a ton in the Spurs Finals and say he's not going to stop shooting LOL

Sadds The Gr8
06-03-2013, 02:20 PM

what'd he say?

Greet
06-03-2013, 02:23 PM
Yes, dont know why some people think hes leaving money on the table by walking away.

Not at all. He doesn't get his full contract, he will most likely have to negotiate a buyout agreement. There's no way he gets the $6mil or whatever that's left on his contract.

DreamShaker
06-03-2013, 02:30 PM
I have always loved Kidd. Bought his jersey when I was a kid when he was on the Mavs. I read a quote from him saying he wanted to get into coaching or broadcasting now. Should make a nice coach, as he basically took over the offense for the Mavs the last few years he was there, according to Carlisle.

LAKobeBryant
06-03-2013, 02:31 PM
He should've retired when he won the ring with Mavs

LoveMeOrHateMe
06-03-2013, 02:53 PM
One of the all-time greats done. He will be missed

Supreme LA
06-03-2013, 03:00 PM
Sad to see one of my favorite all-time players go and one of the best PG's to ever to play the game. I've been a life long fan and there isn't a better teammate to have then Kidd. Definitely 1st ballot HOF and will go down as a top 5 ever for sure.

LTBaByyy
06-03-2013, 03:03 PM
Ended his career on a HORRIBLE note.

Retires after being a Knicks bench player that barely played & finished his last 17 shots shooting 0 of 17. When he could have finished a starter on the #Mavs his title team.

Told us he would sign with us then a couple days later randomly signs with Knicks. He wanted to be close to D Will since their wives are bestfriends

Bum in my book.

Dirk and Jason Terry will be the only ones to get their jersey retired from the last decade in a Mavs uniform.

Nets fans and Mavs fans don't like him

Great basketball player.

Top 5 PG all time.

Hall of Famer.

Horrible person.

bleedprple&gold
06-03-2013, 03:05 PM

I never thought he was that bad of a shooter. 35% career 3P, 78% FT is respectable.

mjt20mik
06-03-2013, 03:24 PM
Pretty sure he and Grant were gonna retire together

Ryan328
06-03-2013, 03:24 PM
Loved watching J Kidd play. He was my favorite player for a long long time. Glad he got his ring 2 years ago.

Chronz
06-03-2013, 03:42 PM
what'd he say?

I was hoping you guys knew cuz Im prolly remembering it wrong but something like, Ive always been a 40% shooter, not about to change now.

Chronz
06-03-2013, 03:46 PM
I never thought he was that bad of a shooter. 35% career 3P, 78% FT is respectable.

Well yea now, he finally fixed his broken jumper. Up until around age 30, he was shooting like 32%.

Hes not D-Wade bad when it comes to jumpers but as a PG, its what prevented his teams from being excellent in the halfcourt, he more then made up for it on the other end but imagine what a complete player he would have been in his prime if he fixed his jumper sooner.

shep33
06-03-2013, 03:51 PM
Top 5 pg ever.

shep33
06-03-2013, 03:52 PM

Honestly, I blame that on the Knicks front office. That was crazy to give him 3 years.

Kashmir13579
06-03-2013, 03:56 PM
What an awful way to go out.

Kashmir13579
06-03-2013, 03:58 PM

Wrong. The Knicks will take care of him in a buyout though..

Chronz
06-03-2013, 04:10 PM
Not at all. He doesn't get his full contract, he will most likely have to negotiate a buyout agreement. There's no way he gets the $6mil or whatever that's left on his contract.

You right, Ill wait to see the buyout amount

MrfadeawayJB
06-03-2013, 04:29 PM
He had a good career

JerseyPalahniuk
06-03-2013, 04:36 PM

Speak for yourself. He is and will always be my favorite player of all time. A lot of long term Nets fans would agree with that (at least favorite Net). 2nd player of all time is still in it to win it baby: TIMMMMAAAAAYYY

NYKnickFanatic
06-03-2013, 04:38 PM
Speak for yourself. He is and will always be my favorite player of all time. A lot of long term Nets fans would agree with that (at least favorite Net). 2nd player of all time is still in it to win it baby: TIMMMMAAAAAYYY
Yeah, I was going to say, why would Nets fans, especially Mavs fans, dislike the guy?

He led the Nets to back to back Finals appearances and helped the Mavs win their first title.

LT must be bitter about how he left.

bleedprple&gold
06-03-2013, 05:30 PM
You right, Ill wait to see the buyout amount

I can only imagine how that would go:

Kidd: "I think I deserve all my money. I signed a GUARANTEED contract. Not my fault you guys were stupid enough to give a 39-year old that's been in the league for 18 years a 3-year contract. Now GIVE ME MY MONEY!"

Dolan: "Why should we give you your money when you're not going to play? That may have been the philosophy when Isaiah was running the team to pay players not to play, but not anymore. This is a new era of Knicks basketball. Besides we already have Amare for that. We'll give you half."

Kidd: "No deal!"

Dolan: "Fine take your $6 mil. That's peanuts anyway compared to the $45 mil I still have to pay Amare. :sigh:"

waveycrockett
06-03-2013, 05:35 PM
Yeah, I was going to say, why would Nets fans, especially Mavs fans, dislike the guy?

He led the Nets to back to back Finals appearances and helped the Mavs win their first title.

LT must be bitter about how he left.
Well he left the Nets on a bad note, beat down his wife while she worked at YES network. Crazy stuff.

3RDASYSTEM
06-03-2013, 06:01 PM
Well he left the Nets on a bad note, beat down his wife while she worked at YES network. Crazy stuff.

You can say the same about every athlete doing something ill to a wife/fam member

yea you just nailed it right on the head

crazy stuff(all over in sports)

every player pretty much leaves original or longest tenure squad on bad note, RICE beat his wife and im sure It was plenty reported and not reported

KIDD is one of the top/best players of his generation, day1 rookie yr, preNBA at CAL....film don't lie

abe_froman
06-03-2013, 06:28 PM
the good he did for the franchise usually fills the memories of fans longer than the departure(as most players leave some teams on bad notes)and though i'm saddened by this fact but 99% of fans dont care if a player beats his wife,that stuff is only brought up by detractors/haters during losing arguments about something else related to a player

RiceOnTheRun
06-03-2013, 06:37 PM
It was an honor to have him in NY, even if it was only for a season. Much of the success can easily be attributed to him, hope he stays involved with the organization, for our sakes at least.

D-Leethal
06-03-2013, 06:53 PM
Proud to have him don the Orange and Blue even if he ran out of gas late. He had some huge moments for us this season but just couldn't sustain it for the stretch run. He was a shell of himself during his prime but he gave us some tastes of his wizardry on the basketball court. I hope he comes back as a coach in some capacity. I think he'll probably go the TV route though.

b@llhog24
06-03-2013, 06:58 PM
Ended his career on a HORRIBLE note.

Retires after being a Knicks bench player that barely played & finished his last 17 shots shooting 0 of 17. When he could have finished a starter on the #Mavs his title team.

Told us he would sign with us then a couple days later randomly signs with Knicks. He wanted to be close to D Will since their wives are bestfriends

Bum in my book.

Dirk and Jason Terry will be the only ones to get their jersey retired from the last decade in a Mavs uniform.

Great basketball player.

Top 5 PG all time.

Hall of Famer.

Horrible person.

There is no need

to be upset.

KnickaBocka.44
06-03-2013, 07:08 PM

The abuse was the reason he was traded to the Nets, from the Suns, in the first place. Colangelo Sr. never put up with that ish.

CubsBullsBucs
06-03-2013, 07:22 PM
why in the world would he leave Dallas if he was only gonna play 1 more year? i thought the whole issue was the contract, but for only 1 year....? he already won a ring so that confuses me

CubsBullsBucs
06-03-2013, 07:24 PM
Knicks lose Rasheed and Kidd. One of Camby or Kurt Thomas will leave. JR is a free agent, Melo and Chandler are a year older. oyye. and not too much young talent other than Iman. future no exactly bright for NY

ohreally
06-03-2013, 07:34 PM

Agree he probably at least tries to sign with another team, but whether this was his decision or the Knicks' is another story. If a mysterious 6.5 mil or so shows up in his bank account soon ...

knicksfan1969
06-03-2013, 07:35 PM
Knicks lose Rasheed and Kidd. One of Camby or Kurt Thomas will leave. JR is a free agent, Melo and Chandler are a year older. oyye. and not too much young talent other than Iman. future no exactly bright for NY

This roster was set up to be blown up in 2015 is they don't make it work. So .... don't be shocked if 2014/2015 Knicks start moving the "Big 3" for some dead weight contracts plus draft picks. I don't think they will simply let the contracts roll off and persue another FA type rebuild like in 2010.

NBA_Starter
06-03-2013, 07:37 PM
Congrats to him on a Great career

nastynice
06-03-2013, 08:00 PM
wtf, I honestly had no clue he was on the knicks. I actually thought he retired years ago, haha

JerseyPalahniuk
06-03-2013, 08:33 PM
wtf, I honestly had no clue he was on the knicks. I actually thought he retired years ago, haha

You must be one of those.....

casual fans

JJ_JKidd
06-03-2013, 08:37 PM
Always loved him as a player. Not the greatest way to go out, but his legacy will far outweigh his last 9 games.

The NBA sorely needs more players like J. Kidd.

The era of pure PGs is about to end. My username says it all, im sad that JKidd is retiring. His contribution to the game can never be forgotten. Im speechless. Im at a lost for words.

Bye Kidd.

Bruno
06-03-2013, 08:44 PM
he should have retired after the 2011 post-season.

JerseyPalahniuk
06-03-2013, 08:54 PM
I know most of you guys know his Hall of Fame credentials, but to everyone else, take a look at his resume:

19 years in the NBA, 12 with 77+ games played/started
10x All-Star (first one 1995-96, last one 2009-10)
2x Gold Medalist (2000, 2008)
1995 Co-Rookie of the Year (with Grant Hill)
6x All-NBA team (5x 1st team; lot of people would consider him to be on the 2000s All-Decade team)
9x All-Defensive teams (4x1st, 5x2nd)
-Finished 2nd in MVP voting in 2001-02: many believe he should've won after getting a lottery team in the Nets to the NBA Finals.
-He is 50th All-time in the NBA in Total Rebounds - that is incredible for a point guard, especially one not extremely athletic, 7 years he averaged over 7 rebounds per game.
-As a 33 year-old on his last full season on the Nets he averaged 9.2 assists and 8.2 rebounds. For comparisons this year: Blake Griffin/Roy Hibbert (8.3), more than Lebron, Durant, Gasol, Ibaka, West, (and obviously Lopez lol)
-5 x led league in assists per game, was second 3 other times and was top 5 in league every year except his Rookie year and his final year!

All-time stats:
-3rd all time in triple doubles with 107. Again: he has one hundred and seven triple doubles. Only Magic Johnson and Oscar Robertson have more. I remember the countless games on the Nets getting so angry when he would sit out with 1 rebound, assist, and usually 1 point shy!!
-2nd all time in assists behind Stockton
-2nd all time in steals behind Stockton
-Only player in NBA history with 15,000 points, 10,000 assists and 7,000 rebounds
-In 2013, he became the first player to win back-to-back NBA sportsmanship awards

He was decent.

ironkobe
06-03-2013, 08:55 PM
lol he said stop floping

JJ_JKidd
06-03-2013, 09:05 PM
I know most of you guys know his Hall of Fame credentials, but to everyone else, take a look at his resume:

19 years in the NBA, 12 with 77+ games played/started
10x All-Star (first one 1995-96, last one 2009-10)
2x Gold Medalist (2000, 2008)
1995 Co-Rookie of the Year (with Grant Hill)
6x All-NBA team (5x 1st team; lot of people would consider him to be on the 2000s All-Decade team)
9x All-Defensive teams (4x1st, 5x2nd)
-Finished 2nd in MVP voting in 2001-02: many believe he should've won after getting a lottery team in the Nets to the NBA Finals.
-He is 50th All-time in the NBA in Total Rebounds - that is incredible for a point guard, especially one not extremely athletic, 7 years he averaged over 7 rebounds per game.
-As a 33 year-old on his last full season on the Nets he averaged 9.2 assists and 8.2 rebounds. For comparisons this year: Blake Griffin/Roy Hibbert (8.3), more than Lebron, Durant, Gasol, Ibaka, West, (and obviously Lopez lol)
-5 x led league in assists per game, was second 3 other times and was top 5 in league every year except his Rookie year and his final year!

All-time stats:
-3rd all time in triple doubles with 107. Again: he has one hundred and seven triple doubles. Only Magic Johnson and Oscar Robertson have more. I remember the countless games on the Nets getting so angry when he would sit out with 1 rebound, assist, and usually 1 point shy!!
-2nd all time in assists behind Stockton
-2nd all time in steals behind Stockton
-Only player in NBA history with 15,000 points, 10,000 assists and 7,000 rebounds
-In 2013, he became the first player to win back-to-back NBA sportsmanship awards

He was decent.

Dang you call this decent? Like decent-enough to barely make it to the HoF?

Man idk why people keep on bringing up his personal issues over his professional achievements because last time I checked, we didnt watch him on some reality TV show! We watched him play in a professional sports league and therefore what he did professionally is the one that should matter!

MR.TRIPDUB
06-03-2013, 09:09 PM
My favorite player of all time just left the game. . . Very sad day for me.

This. I getting goosebumps just reading the article. I have never been a certain teams fan but always a jkidd fan. Now i have no one to root for. Very sad indeed.

JJ_JKidd
06-03-2013, 09:17 PM
This. I getting goosebumps just reading the article. I have never been a certain teams fan but always a jkidd fan. Now i have no one to root for. Very sad indeed.

Hey whats up? That makes us three lol. No more true PGs now thats the bad news.

JerseyPalahniuk
06-03-2013, 09:18 PM
Dang you call this decent? Like decent-enough to barely make it to the HoF?

Man idk why people keep on bringing up his personal issues over his professional achievements because last time I checked, we didnt watch him on some reality TV show! We watched him play in a professional sports league and therefore what he did professionally is the one that should matter!

Dude... its sarcasm. Look at the top of this page. He is my favorite player of all time

JJ_JKidd
06-03-2013, 09:22 PM
Dude... its sarcasm. Look at the top of this page. He is my favorite player of all time

He is a lot of peoples favorite of all time.

JerseyPalahniuk
06-03-2013, 09:29 PM
He is a lot of peoples favorite of all time.

I don't know about you but I don't a lot of people who would have "decent players" as their favorite players of all time then. Did you not read how much I detailed out his stats hahaha or read the intro to that long post? I hope you are just messing with me.

JJ_JKidd
06-03-2013, 10:06 PM
I don't know about you but I don't a lot of people who would have "decent players" as their favorite players of all time then. Did you not read how much I detailed out his stats hahaha or read the intro to that long post? I hope you are just messing with me.

Ive read it. I know what youre trying to say but im just not comfortable with the word "decent." Maybe another word, more higher than the word "decent" lol.

bleedprple&gold
06-03-2013, 10:42 PM
Ive read it. I know what youre trying to say but im just not comfortable with the word "decent." Maybe another word, more higher than the word "decent" lol.

He was being sarcastic!

HeaTxRipZz
06-03-2013, 11:38 PM
It's crazy seeing Jason Kidd retire pretty much growing up watching him. Was definitely one of those players I admired because of his court vision and Ball IQ. Definitely up there on my fav list behind Jordan and Ray Allen

SportsFanatic10
06-03-2013, 11:55 PM
congrats to him on a great career.