PDA

View Full Version : Do franchise records really matter?

Chrisclover
06-03-2013, 10:09 AM
the media keep talking about the franchise record before the important games
ie, tonight's Heat-Pacers matchups
ESPN said heat has 80% win total in G7s, whereas Indy 0%
what i am puzzling is the coach and players change as time go by, what is the use of bringing the old news up? or it is just the media trying to catch the eyeballs?

ManRam
06-03-2013, 10:17 AM
of course not.

what happened 20 years ago has zero bearing on what happens today. hell, anything that happened last year or even earlier this season has no bearings either. numbers like those are useless indicators.

xRipCity
06-03-2013, 10:19 AM
When it comes to trades, legacies, etc... kind of.

Otherwise they are used to piss off your friends

ManRam
06-03-2013, 10:31 AM

i'm assuming he's talking about "the heat as a franchise have won x-percent of game 7s, and the pacers have won whatever". stuff like that doesn't matter one bit.

but you're right. franchise success can matter in terms of free agency and how we look at legacies. but it doesn't matter when you're trying to figure out who's gonna win this game 7.

Spacolie716
06-03-2013, 10:31 AM

Pretty much right on the money.

xRipCity
06-03-2013, 10:32 AM
i'm assuming he's talking about "the heat as a franchise have won x-percent of game 7s, and the pacers have won whatever". stuff like that doesn't matter one bit.

but you're right. franchise success can matter in terms of free agency and how we look at legacies. but it doesn't matter when you're trying to figure out who's gonna win this game 7.

in that case, it means NOTHING. I apologize, I just read the title

Tony_Starks
06-03-2013, 10:49 AM
When it comes to historical franchises like Boston, LA, and even the Spurs I would say it matters some just because of the pride factor as a motivator. As in we're the Celtics, we historically don't lose game 7s on our floor.

Not saying it makes a HUGE difference but it can definitely be extra bulletin board material.

Chrisclover
06-03-2013, 10:55 AM
spot on

blastmasta26
06-03-2013, 10:57 AM
It only matters if you look at very recent history exclusively.

RaiderLakersA's
06-03-2013, 11:04 AM

:clap:

Franchise records don't mean squat. It's not like a prime Alonzo Mourning is taking over for Bosh to give Hibbs hell in Game 7.

RaiderLakersA's
06-03-2013, 11:05 AM
It only matters if you look at very recent history exclusively.

It only matters if you have the same exact team under the same exact circumstances. That's not the case.

Burgo
06-03-2013, 02:32 PM
All it does is say a bit about the character of the franchise I guess. Nothing that matters on game night.

DreamShaker
06-03-2013, 02:36 PM
Maybe if you narrowed it down to current players/coaches/core team, but all time, naw.

LeperMessiah
06-03-2013, 03:10 PM
nuuuuuuuuupe

Stinkyoutsider
06-03-2013, 03:13 PM
Used for building up a game and for more ratings. Easy way to entice more casual fans to watch because they'll want to see what happens.

As far as fans, we probably don't worry about historical numbers at all...

MrfadeawayJB
06-03-2013, 04:29 PM
Not really except for maybe the last 5 years

ManRam
06-03-2013, 05:03 PM

i don't even think that matters.

how did what the heat did pre-lebron, bosh, allen, battier, etc. have any bearing on what happens tonight. same with the pacers, who are clearly a different and improved team from even a year or two ago.

TopsyTurvy
06-03-2013, 06:12 PM
Franchise records are important to players and coaches, not as a predictive indicator. Franchise records allow players, coaches, and staffers set goals against the best an organization has seen and leave a legacy if those same records are surpassed. Players surpassing scoring, rebounding, steals, and blocks records are just as important for coaches surpassing wins, shooting percentage, opp. shooting percentage, etc. records. It's all about legacy and everyone in a highly competitive sport wants to leave their mark.

b@llhog24
06-03-2013, 06:18 PM
Maybe to JB it does.

PhillyFaninLA
06-03-2013, 06:25 PM
the media keep talking about the franchise record before the important games
ie, tonight's Heat-Pacers matchups
ESPN said heat has 80% win total in G7s, whereas Indy 0%
what i am puzzling is the coach and players change as time go by, what is the use of bringing the old news up? or it is just the media trying to catch the eyeballs?

How can one team have an 80% and the other 0%....I'm pretty sure you are misquoting

MrfadeawayJB
06-03-2013, 06:54 PM

i don't even think that matters.

how did what the heat did pre-lebron, bosh, allen, battier, etc. have any bearing on what happens tonight. same with the pacers, who are clearly a different and improved team from even a year or two ago.

Well assuming there is a few constants. For example same coach, same star player, a few of the same guys on the roster, etc...

steelcityroller
06-03-2013, 07:08 PM

Exactly.

NYKalltheway
06-03-2013, 07:10 PM
How can one team have an 80% and the other 0%....I'm pretty sure you are misquoting

or they've played game 7s with other teams as well...

--23--
06-03-2013, 08:54 PM
It only matters if the players/coaching staff are the same other than that doesn't really matter. Also I think those stats are wrong, how are the Heat 80% in Game 7's when they played 6 and only won 3?

Miami in Game 7's
97 - Won in 7
00 - Lost in 7
04 - Won in 7
05 - Lost in 7
09 - Lost in 7
12 - Won in 7

Miami in the Final Deciding games (including game 5's from the 90's)
94 - Lost in 5
97 - Won in 5(1st rd) & won in 7(2nd rd)
98 - Lost in 5
99 - Lost in 5
00 - Lost in 7
04 - Won in 7
05 - Lost in 7
09 - Lost in 7
12 - Won in 7

Are you sure you didn't misquote them?

Chrisclover
06-04-2013, 12:32 AM
ESPN said , in terms of G7s, in franchise history, heat has won 80% of them , whereas Indy never won. i am not sure,but that was what they had broadcasted

enitialdee
06-04-2013, 12:14 PM
It's a big matter to lakers fan, they love bringing up that 16 blah blah blah..