PDA

View Full Version : Lionel Hollins Likely Parting Ways With Grizzlies

njnets
06-02-2013, 05:39 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--lionel-hollins--grizzlies-likely-parting-ways-after-contract-discussions-collapse-210228215.html

with larry drew going to Milwaukee, the last four vacancies include the Nets, Clippers, Pistons, and the 76ers.

Nets and Clippers seem to be the obvious top two choices for him. I know the nets have been wanting to talk to him and now they have the chance. Clippers will definitely reach out to him too. I don't see him talking the 76ers or pistons job with the other two open.

Where do you guys think Hollins will go? Also, which do you think is the best fit?

Lake_Show2416
06-02-2013, 05:43 PM
i see the Clippers getting him but 76ers should hope on this

HouRealCoach
06-02-2013, 05:52 PM
Grizzlies has to have the DUMBEST franchise EVER

I have seen them get rid of Gay, Vasquez, Mayo for a lot less than they are worth and now they are getting rid of their coach?

I'm guessing that Tony Allen will be replaced by Luke Walton

kylem4711
06-02-2013, 06:01 PM
as a clips fan, this guy isn't my first choice. He makes some pretty bone head decisions. at least he is tough though.

Chronz
06-02-2013, 06:04 PM
Pretty sure everyone saw this coming with his choice of words regarding the modern approach management has taken.

Hes an upgrade on Vinny but I'm not a fan of too many old school coaches.

Cracka2HI!
06-02-2013, 06:32 PM
I don't think he's the best coach available for the Clippers. However I do think his offensive philosophy could be good for Blake and especially DJ if we keep him. A tough defensive minded coach couldn't hurt either. Why isn't Sloan being talked to about any of these jobs. I think I'd rather have him over JVG or Hollins.

blastmasta26
06-02-2013, 06:32 PM
Hollins should go to Detroit to work with another big man duo.

c.c.
06-02-2013, 07:06 PM
Grizzlies has to have the DUMBEST franchise EVER

I have seen them get rid of Gay, Vasquez, Mayo for a lot less than they are worth and now they are getting rid of their coach?

Agreed

waveycrockett
06-02-2013, 07:12 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 2h
The Nets still haven't shown an inclination that they want to meet with Lionel Hollins, league sources tell Y!

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 3h
For Brooklyn, Lionel Hollins and Indiana assistant Brian Shaw are primary focuses of search, sources tell Y! Shaw could be strongest.

Seems like We are targeting Shaw over Hollins. I'd be happy with either.

RipCity32
06-02-2013, 07:31 PM
Come to Detroit and coach Monroe and Drummond.I think it would be a perfect fit if he did take the Pistons job.

waveycrockett
06-02-2013, 07:33 PM
Come to Detroit and coach Monroe and Drummond.I think it would be a perfect fit if he did take the Pistons job.

Does he really want to work under Joe Dumars? I doubt it.

Jenceman
06-02-2013, 07:42 PM
Fucckkkk I would give anything to have him over D'antoni

akesh99
06-02-2013, 07:57 PM
Nets will throw the kitchen sink at him

Shkelqim
06-02-2013, 07:59 PM
Sixers bound

Tony_Starks
06-02-2013, 08:19 PM
Grizzlies has to have the DUMBEST
franchise EVER

They can't be dumb they have Hollinger in the front office. They're supposed to be cost effective with superior statistics.

I bet their PER's are off the charts!

Chronz
06-02-2013, 09:07 PM
Ive been wanting to see what Shaw could do for years now. Give him a quality Memphis team plz

Tony_Starks
06-02-2013, 09:19 PM
Apparently the Grizz have officially given him permission to speak to other teams. Also there seems to have been some lingering resentment from a incident where Hollinger tried to interfere with a practice and Hollins confronted him in front of the players ( as he should ).

I'm sorry but Grizz management is incompetent, this is a huge blunder considering the direction they had been headed in.

MrfadeawayJB
06-02-2013, 10:22 PM
Grizz brass thinks everything through so they must have a replacement lined up. I like assistant Dave Joeger or Brian Shaw

FriedTofuz
06-02-2013, 10:49 PM
the grizzlies have horrible management lol

Chronz
06-02-2013, 10:54 PM
Apparently the Grizz have officially given him permission to speak to other teams. Also there seems to have been some lingering resentment from a incident where Hollinger tried to interfere with a practice and Hollins confronted him in front of the players ( as he should ).

I'm sorry but Grizz management is incompetent, this is a huge blunder considering the direction they had been headed in.

Whats so wrong about it? The man doesn't fit with what the team is doing, whats incompetent about releasing a bad fit?

waveycrockett
06-02-2013, 11:00 PM
Whats so wrong about it? The man doesn't fit with what the team is doing, whats incompetent about releasing a bad fit?

He may not fit with the management but he's the perfect fit for that roster. I think Hollinger is being idiotic here.

Tony_Starks
06-02-2013, 11:20 PM
Whats so wrong about it? The man doesn't fit
with what the team is doing, whats incompetent about releasing a bad fit?

A bad fit that gave your franchise it's most successful season ever and helped change the culture in Memphis? Even after a horrible trade which could've sabotaged the season?

They got to the conference Finals. Realistically how far did management expect him to take this team?

Chronz
06-03-2013, 03:55 AM
He may not fit with the management but he's the perfect fit for that roster. I think Hollinger is being idiotic here.
But management is who decides who stays on the roster, if they had listened to Hollins, Gay would have never been traded and the improvements in the teams immediate overall efficiency, and future flexibility would have been compromised.

I dont think management is being idiotic at all. Hollinger isn't the one firing him either so lets not just pin it all on him. Hollins lacks tact and doesn't know his role.

Chronz
06-03-2013, 04:03 AM
A bad fit that gave your franchise it's most successful season ever and helped change the culture in Memphis? Even after a horrible trade which could've sabotaged the season?

According to some insiders in Memphis, the defensive culture Memphis established was mostly attributable to his assistant. They ran his schemes and he pretty much drilled them on that end.

And I dont see a horrible trade, I saw a trade that helped make their run possible in the first place. A move their coach negligently bashed. Hes loyal to his players, but hes got to realize its the TEAM FO that decides the roster.

They got to the conference Finals. Realistically how far did management expect him to take this team?

Im fairly certain his firing had nothing to do with how far the team got. It had to do with how they view the team from this point forward and what they feel he can get out of the crew, particularly with ownership taking a more modern approach to team building.

waveycrockett
06-03-2013, 04:20 AM
But management is who decides who stays on the roster, if they had listened to Hollins, Gay would have never been traded and the improvements in the teams immediate overall efficiency, and future flexibility would have been compromised.

I dont think management is being idiotic at all. Hollinger isn't the one firing him either so lets not just pin it all on him. Hollins lacks tact and doesn't know his role.

I think the supposed "improvements" after Rudy was traded were over blown. The whole thing was overblown everyone expected them to take a nose dive and they basically held steady but there were no "improvements". Prince, Daye and Davis were nonfactors at best in the postseason and worse killed them. Prince played some solid defense against KD but was a train wreck offensively. Rudy could have put them over the hump against the Spurs when they got nothing going inside.

Chronz
06-03-2013, 04:25 AM
I think the supposed "improvements" after Rudy was traded were over blown. The whole thing was overblown everyone expected them to take a nose dive and they basically held steady but there were no "improvements". Prince, Daye and Davis were nonfactors at best in the postseason and worse killed them. Rudy could have put them ober the hump against the Spurs when they got nothing going inside.
Overblown or not, you cannot deny the lineups the team yielded were in fact more efficient on both ends. That this was accomplished despite the team actually making the trade for future flexibility and no chemistry, it should go without saying that it was a good move.

Hes a streaky player so yea, if you catch him on a good run, you can steal a few games vs a clearly superior team like San Antonio but I doubt Rudy is the kind of player who can step it up for the entirety of a playoff run, so the odds of them even getting to the Spurs in the first place are lower. I really wish they still had Gay, I still have dreams of him choking and mentally collapsing vs us last year.

waveycrockett
06-03-2013, 04:34 AM
I think the supposed "improvements" after Rudy was traded were over blown. The whole thing was overblown everyone expected them to take a nose dive and they basically held steady but there were no "improvements". Prince, Daye and Davis were nonfactors at best in the postseason and worse killed them. Rudy could have put them ober the hump against the Spurs when they got nothing going inside.
Overblown or not, you cannot deny the lineups the team yielded were in fact more efficient on both ends. That this was accomplished despite the team actually making the trade for future flexibility and no chemistry, it should go without saying that it was a good move.

Hes a streaky player so yea, if you catch him on a good run, you can steal a few games vs a clearly superior team like San Antonio but I doubt Rudy is the kind of player who can step it up for the entirety of a playoff run, so the odds of them even getting to the Spurs in the first place are lower. I really wish they still had Gay, I still have dreams of him choking and mentally collapsing vs us last year.

And you cannot deny the Grizzlies didn't get off to an amazing start the first 2 months with Rudy before they tailed off like a lot of teams do. Grizz where legit championship contenders without Rudy imagine they would have done better with him.

kdspurman
06-03-2013, 09:22 AM
Grizz brass thinks everything through so they must have a replacement lined up. I like assistant Dave Joeger or Brian Shaw

Seems Hollins is not holding back.

Peter Edmiston ‏@peteredmiston 6m
Hollins: "It's not like Dave (Joerger) created our defensive system. He's a good def. coach. He wasn't even the D coach until I made.."(1/3)

"...the defensive coach. We implemented my philosophy and I gave (Joerger) the authority...(2/3)"

"...to run it in practice, just like I give Bob Thornton the authority to run offense." (3/3)

Tony_Starks
06-03-2013, 11:06 AM
At the end of the day this isn't even about wins or losses. They wanted Hollins to buy into their new "analytical approach" and he basically said my track record speaks for itself.

Hollins is his own man, perhaps too stubborn and cocky, but I gaurantee whatever team he goes to next will improve drastically because he's a excellent coach.

2-ONE-5
06-03-2013, 12:20 PM
i would love him in Philly but if Im Hollins i wouldnt be interested. He should be coaching a conender again after the incredible job hes done with the Grizz over the 3-5 years.

kenzo400
06-03-2013, 12:23 PM
He could do something really special with the Nets. I hope he goes there.

Chronz
06-03-2013, 01:44 PM
And you cannot deny the Grizzlies didn't get off to an amazing start the first 2 months with Rudy before they tailed off like a lot of teams do.
Trust me, I know all about amazing starts, we went undefeated for an entire month, our FO foolishly took that stretch as a reason to not upgrade our roster with the KG trade.
Memphis was proactive, that amazing start despite Rudy Gay playing so small of a role is prolly what led to his demise. Its one thing if he was a big time contributor but they felt an inefficient wing with sporadic defense was replaceable, and they were right considering the immediate improvements in efficiency and prior history.

Grizz where legit championship contenders without Rudy imagine they would have done better with him.
Im going to have to side with the anecdotal evidence here, they would have lost in R.1 or 2 if he were still around. The improvements to their overall efficiency, the fact that we have 3 separate years to look at, with Gay, without Gay, and they all point to him holding the team back. Not sure what makes anyone want to ignore that much history. I think people like the idea of Gay, hes 6"8 can create his own jumper whenever he wants, but he lacks the IQ to contribute to a team oriented offense.

His lack of defensive awareness KILLED the Grizz in the series against us, and their reliance on his "ability to create" was the reason their offense bogged down in the clutch, as he was easily defended by the likes of Kenyon Martin and an injured Butler. Hes no savior

Clippersfan86
06-03-2013, 05:09 PM
Hollins has reached out to the,Clippers,about their opening per Woj. Everybody interested in us yet watch Sterling go cheap and hire Byron Scott, effectively ending out championship window before it starts.

Tony_Starks
06-03-2013, 07:50 PM
Hollins has reached out to the,Clippers,about their opening per Woj. Everybody interested in us yet watch Sterling go cheap and hire Byron Scott, effectively ending out championship window before it starts.

Would be a good look for your Clippers.

You know if you guys get Brian Shaw I might literally cry when y'all play my Lakers right?

Utd7
06-03-2013, 08:34 PM
Welcome to NYC, van gundy or George Karl to the clippers if he leaves.