PDA

View Full Version : Does Kobe really hurt his team by shooting too much? New study says no.

amos1er
06-02-2013, 04:48 PM
This one is for all you stat geeks who say that Kobe hurts his team by shooting too much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=lSpJPXwAGw8

Credit to Chavacano for the find.

jerellh528
06-02-2013, 04:52 PM
Most real basketball fans already know what kobe does is necessary. Kobe is one of the smartest players and most dedicated to winning of all time. He knows what it takes to win games. The proof is evident.

amos1er
06-02-2013, 04:55 PM
Most real basketball fans already know what kobe does is necessary. Kobe is one of the smartest players and most dedicated to winning of all time. He knows what it takes to win games. The proof is evident.

Agreed. Any non hater who is somewhat intelligent already knows this. Now there is some evidence to finally shut the stat geek haters up.

ManRam
06-02-2013, 04:57 PM
so the take away point is: his efficiency goes up slightly when he shoots it a bit more?

that could extrapolate to "he doesn't shoot too much"...but i'm sure sure they'd even be the first to admit it's not that cut and dry.

kobe certainly gets too much flack for shooting too much at times, for sure.

super impressed with the drawings!

bucketss
06-02-2013, 05:01 PM
wrong forum.

amos1er
06-02-2013, 05:04 PM
so the take away point is: his efficiency goes up slightly when he shoots it a bit more?

that could extrapolate to "he doesn't shoot too much"...but i'm sure sure they'd even be the first to admit it's not that cut and dry.

kobe certainly gets too much flack for shooting too much at times, for sure.

super impressed with the drawings!

Ya, the drawing were cool. There was another one about Dwight howards effect on the defensive end.

amos1er
06-02-2013, 05:05 PM
wrong forum.

Yet it's ok to have a thread called "Should the Lakers amnesty Kobe?"? Come on bro.

bucketss
06-02-2013, 05:09 PM
wrong thread again ****, i keep doing that.

b@llhog24
06-02-2013, 05:12 PM
Okay this is kinda sad.

amos1er
06-02-2013, 08:31 PM
Okay this is kinda sad.

Of course no comments on the actual video right. That would disprove your username all together now wouldn't it.

amos1er
06-02-2013, 08:32 PM
wrong thread again ****, i keep doing that.

:rolleyes:

Hawkeye15
06-02-2013, 08:37 PM
he only hurts them late in games, when his teams efficiency takes a nose dive in close games because everyone in the universe knows what is going to happen.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-02-2013, 08:41 PM
he only hurts them late in games, when his teams efficiency takes a nose dive in close games because everyone in the universe knows what is going to happen.

Pretty much this.

Also love how the OP takes a shot at "stat geeks" yet the guy in the video uses those "geekish" stats:laugh2:

sunnyice
06-02-2013, 08:56 PM
Pretty much this.

Also love how the OP takes a shot at "stat geeks" yet the guy in the video uses those "geekish" stats:laugh2:

OP is a known Kobe lover and a lebron hater. What would you expect?

bucketss
06-02-2013, 09:02 PM

kobe shoots = its necessary
lebron shoots = he doesn't play winning ball, too much hero ball,

Teeboy1487
06-02-2013, 09:16 PM
Of course I'm a Kobe fan and I also think Kobe gets too much flack for shooting. I have been watching Kobe most of my life. Kobe shoots more when his teammates are struggling. He feels the need to take over to help the team win. Kobe does not get enough credit because time after time, I see him take the most difficult shots especially when the shot clock is low.

For a guy who shoots mostly midrange shots, fadaways and contested 3s, I think shooting at a 45% clip is really good. The one thing I hate about Kobe is he keeps shooting when his shot is off. However, in the clutch, most of the time he comes through and has 5 rings to show for it. Not only I'm a fan of Kobe's game, but it's his determination and work ethic that impresses me the most about him. Unquestionably, Kobe is a rare player and top 10 player of all time.

Matter.
06-02-2013, 09:32 PM
When you show them facts... they bring up other bs. ;)

Chronz
06-02-2013, 09:57 PM
Surprised you didn't already know this... LAL fans need to step it up when it comes to educating the masses. I get my Clipper brethren up on game, I guess thats alot easier to do when there are like 4 of us.

Shlumpledink
06-02-2013, 09:58 PM
But the "kobe shoots too much" is easier for media types to relay, and easier for people to understand than the opposite.

b@llhog24
06-02-2013, 10:20 PM
Of course no comments on the actual video right. That would disprove your username all together now wouldn't it.

1) It doesn't disprove my username
2) It's sad because your first thread (http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?821414-The-Truth-About-Kobe-s-Shooting)with this topic got locked and yet you still felt the need to remake it? I just don't get it. Lol like Hawk said, some people just need validation for their own ideas I guess.

Surprised you didn't already know this... LAL fans need to step it up when it comes to educating the masses. I get my Clipper brethren up on game, I guess thats alot easier to do when there are like 4 of us.

+1. He's acting as if he invented fire or discovered the wheel or something.

amos1er
06-02-2013, 10:27 PM
Pretty much this.

Haven't you heard of the term fight fire with fire.

Your missing the point entirely. I used a video about stats in order hit the statgeeks on their own level. I wanted to see what they would come up with next once someone disproved their statistical assessments.

amos1er
06-02-2013, 10:31 PM
1) It doesn't disprove my username
2) It's sad because your first thread (http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?821414-The-Truth-About-Kobe-s-Shooting)with this topic got locked and yet you still felt the need to remake it? I just don't get it. Lol like Hawk said, some people just need validation for their own ideas I guess.

+1. He's acting as if he invented fire or discovered the wheel or something.

lol @ you using Hawkeye to validate your anti-Kobe propaganda. Thats kind of like Lex Luthor turning to Brainiac for help. :rolleyes:

NeverSayNevur
06-02-2013, 10:33 PM
Pretty much this.

he didn't say "stat geeks", he said "stat geeks who say that Kobe hurts his team by shooting too much"

come on, if you're gonna quote, don't pick and choose.

amos1er
06-02-2013, 10:35 PM
he didn't say "stat geeks", he said "stat geeks who say that Kobe hurts his team by shooting too much"

Thank you.

b@llhog24
06-02-2013, 10:37 PM
lol @ you using Hawkeye to validate your anti-Kobe propaganda. Thats kind of like Lex Luthor turning to Brainiac for help. :rolleyes:

He never said anything about Kobe when he made the statement. But whosoever the cap fits, let them wear it.

jerellh528
06-02-2013, 11:09 PM

This makes zero sense. :confused:

Trueblue2
06-02-2013, 11:30 PM
While I do agree that Kobe's 4th quarter shooting habits are more a result of his team being down than the cause, it's not as open and shut as this video makes it out to be. Yea his FG% goes up in the 4th when he shoots more, but how does that effect the rest of his team? If Kobe's taking contested shots and trying to force the issue and goes from 45% to 47% on a much higher usg% it's still not as helpful for the Lakers as taking less shot attempts and feeding the post more. Bigs generally shoot a higher clip from the post than guards do on drives and from the perimeter and Kobe happens to have two very talented bigs on his team. Kobe is an awesome player and he's willed the Lakers to win many a time, but letting Kobe play hero ball is not the easiest way to win a game. If Kobe was just a little better at knowing when to be a facilitator and when to look to score the Lakers would be way better. Pau and Dwight wouldn't complain about touches and they'd probably be mentally in the entire game. Also the extra 2% on his fg% could be a result of being down and giving it that little extra rather than a result of taking more shots.

I'm in no way hating on Kobe, he's one of my all time favorite players. It's just there's no such thing as a perfect player, everyone has a flaw in their game and there's no shame in acknowledging it. I will say, though, that last season Kobe improved his decision making by leaps and bounds which is very impressive considering how long he's been in the league playing a specific way.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-03-2013, 12:07 AM
Haven't you heard of the term fight fire with fire.

Your missing the point entirely. I used a video about stats in order hit the statgeeks on their own level. I wanted to see what they would come up with next once someone disproved their statistical assessments.
Cool, but in the past you've absolutely trashed on people who use those types of stats and now only use them because they favor Kobe in one little aspect. Bias, much?

It's still the same damn thing and you would know where I'm getting at if you've read his posts before.

waveycrockett
06-03-2013, 12:10 AM
TAKE THAT STAT GEEKS!!!!

*posts video by stat geek

bagwell368
06-03-2013, 08:04 AM
kobe shoots = its necessary
lebron shoots = he doesn't play winning ball, too much hero ball,

x2

Kobe at times shoots to much given his efficiency. It's a fact. Sorry, I should use past tense.

HouRealCoach
06-03-2013, 08:23 AM
I just wanna see him shoot over 50% ONCE... LeBron, Wade, Durant, CP3, Parker all have, I just wanna see one good percentage shooting season from him

ElChinoLatino
06-03-2013, 10:09 AM
Of course I'm a Kobe fan and I also think Kobe gets too much flack for shooting. I have been watching Kobe most of my life. Kobe shoots more when his teammates are struggling. He feels the need to take over to help the team win. Kobe does not get enough credit because time after time, I see him take the most difficult shots especially when the shot clock is low.

For a guy who shoots mostly midrange shots, fadaways and contested 3s, I think shooting at a 45% clip is really good. The one thing I hate about Kobe is he keeps shooting when his shot is off. However, in the clutch, most of the time he comes through and has 5 rings to show for it. Not only I'm a fan of Kobe's game, but it's his determination and work ethic that impresses me the most about him. Unquestionably, Kobe is a rare player and top 10 player of all time.

Sorry dude but that isn't going to fly too much because 1) He's actually one of the worst in the clutch (last 24 secs or less in the 4th) and 2) Everyone knows he piggy-backed Shaq for his first three. But I do admit he has excellent work ethic but I see him barely making the top 10 of all time IMO.

xRipCity
06-03-2013, 10:17 AM
He doesn't and he's got a hand full of rings to prove that...

He over the past couple of years has been targeted with this claim when his teams have been unsuccessful. This is solely because of his supporting cast, not Kobe. Kobe does his thing and it has been proven 5 times that it works in the NBA.

I don't even like Kobe. But I respect him.