PDA

View Full Version : Dwight Howard's First Free Agency Interview

fredv
06-02-2013, 08:29 AM
My daughter, Kelzer, is a mother now with three children, and it's been more than a decade since she spent much time shooting a basketball.

But I flew Kelzer in from Arizona to teach Dwight Howard how to shoot free throws because she still has to be better than he is.

Who isn't?

We all met at UCLA, Howard was as friendly as always and relaxed after fishing trips to Lake Tahoe and Aspen.

VIDEO: Dwight vs. Housewife, by Mandalay Sports Media

He posted Twitter pictures of the fish that had jumped in his boat or the ones he claimed he had caught. But they were the wrong kind of trophies for some Lakers fans.

"You just can't please people," Howard said. "I catch fish and it's a problem. People were upset I was out having fun; they thought I should be sitting in a room all upset because we lost.

"I am upset, but I'm not going to stop living life.

"I couldn't watch the playoffs I was so ticked. Everywhere I went I saw a Tim Duncan jersey, and you know how much I hated that."

We talked about Mike D'Antoni, why Howard hasn't committed to the Lakers and his plans to work with former NBA sharpshooter Chris Mullin.

We also chatted about his desire to make movies.

"Maybe 'Kazaam II'," he joked in reference to Shaq's bomb. "Actually I'm working right now on some stuff with Disney."

"Do they have a Disney studio in Houston?" I asked.

"Time to shoot free throws," said Howard.

My daughter has been busy potty training the twins, so she didn't know anything about Howard.

"I had to Google you," Kelzer told him when they met, and I have no idea why she's so direct. "Ask me about 'Sesame Street,' though, and I'm your girl."

Howard took the bait. He said he could make more free throws left-handed than she could right-handed. He said he'd donate $5,000 to charity if he was wrong.

He was wrong, although after hanging around Howard, Kelzer's shooting percentage plunged.

Howard could not have been more gracious in setting himself up for defeat. That's why I like him. He keeps things in perspective, although it seems to bother serious basketball fans and players.

"Can't we have some fun?" he shouted, while doing a spot-on goofy imitation of the daughter's shooting motion.

He declined Kelzer's offer to help with his shooting technique, saying he will not change the way he shoots free throws this off-season. He'll just shoot more of them.

"I have only one problem and it's between my ears," he said, while admitting he visited a Lakers' psychiatrist. "I just think too much."

They moved to three-point territory for a game of "around the world," advancing from spot to spot after making a three-pointer.

Kelzer quickly left Howard behind, yelling to him, "How's your world doing?"

It was all good, Howard singing and rolling with every trash jab, although admitting he no longer intends to be a people-pleaser.

"I can't do it anymore," he said. "I can't please everybody."

What prompted the change?

"When I came back from my shoulder injury, some didn't think I was giving my all," he said. "And nobody wanted to hear what I said about coming off back surgery. It wasn't fair to me. I was on a walker and four months later playing basketball. I played hurt."

Once Howard felt better, the Lakers' record noticeably improved, and yet some still do not acknowledge his value.

"One year ago I couldn't do this," he said while standing on one foot. "I was so limited. I couldn't lift, sprint or shoot. This summer I'll shoot 1,000 shots every day."

The poor rims, they're in for such a beating.

"You watch," he said.

"I don't see many Atlanta games," I told him.

The media can't seem to stop guessing where Howard will land. Some report they know what he's thinking, although this was his first interview since the Lakers' quick end to the season.

"I have no idea what people are saying," he said. "I don't pay attention to the good, bad or the ugly. Or else I couldn't live.

"I locked myself in my house last year, but no more. I feel so much better now, healthy, more fun to come and I know I can make a difference next season."

In Dallas?

Just for the record, he doesn't always smile.

The daughter and Howard continued shooting for almost two hours, or as long as it took him to finally beat her.

Between missed shots, I asked why he hasn't committed to the Lakers.

"It's free agency and I have the opportunity to choose where I'm going to play," he said. "God opens doors, and I'm relying on my faith to direct me.

"I don't think it's fair I get criticized for waiting on such an opportunity."

But what does he want in a team?

"I want to win; I've done everything else," he said. "I just want to win."

Can the Lakers win?

"Any team I am on can win," he said with a grin, "but nice try."

What about getting more money or a chance to do TV shows here?

"I'll get those opportunities later; it's all about winning now," he said.

So what do you think of D'Antoni?

"I love him," he said. "He's a great person."

Is he a great coach?

"He's a great person and I'm glad we had the opportunity to be together," said Howard, which some will undoubtedly interpret as goodbye.

What was never explicitly said, but also seemed to hang heavy in the air was the uncertainty in the Lakers' front office, with Jim and Jeanie Buss.

"I want to see what each opportunity offers," Howard said. "I want to see how people plan on winning."

"So will I be seeing you next season?" I concluded.

"I'm always a phone call or tweet away," he said, while whistling and moving on.

http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-76134896/

1 month+ to go.

Howard should stay away from itw's.. This is going to blow up.

waveycrockett
06-02-2013, 09:09 AM
Sounds like Dwight has made up his mind he wont going back to LA

RipCity32
06-02-2013, 09:28 AM
LA should of traded him at the deadline.

Knowledge
06-02-2013, 09:31 AM
"So will I be seeing you next season?" I concluded.

"I'm always a phone call or tweet away," he said, while whistling and moving on.

Hahahaha I'm sorry, but this is a funny line.

waveycrockett
06-02-2013, 09:39 AM
That Sign and Trade for Brook Lopez is probably sounding real good right now to LA.

oak2455
06-02-2013, 10:06 AM
I'm sure this is just one of the many threads, of Dwight the living nightmare

Badluck33
06-02-2013, 10:23 AM
Houston, ATL, Dallas

in that order.

waveycrockett
06-02-2013, 10:24 AM
Houston, ATL, Dallas

in that order.

It's reported Dwight hates ATL. He has no desire to come back home. Apparently he has a lot of money grubbers back there waiting for him.

oak2455
06-02-2013, 10:37 AM
Than Houston and Dallas makes sense .... Tell me when he signs

Bravo95
06-02-2013, 10:54 AM
Ha.

c.c.
06-02-2013, 11:08 AM
He could just be playing mind games. Just want people to think he's not staying then surprise them with a stay.

waveycrockett
06-02-2013, 11:13 AM
He could just be playing mind games. Just want people to think he's not staying then surprise them with a stay.
Why would he do that? Makes me think he's doing the right thing and basically letting LA know he's leaving instead of leaving them flat at the alter.

Iron24th
06-02-2013, 11:20 AM
That Sign and Trade for Brook Lopez is probably sounding real good right now to LA.

No it isn't, lopez is still an average C who can't rebound to save his life.

waveycrockett
06-02-2013, 11:28 AM

Oh OK thanks for clearing that up. Have fun with Robert Sacre being the future for you guys then.

Badluck33
06-02-2013, 11:52 AM
It's reported Dwight hates ATL. He has no desire to come back home. Apparently he has a lot of money grubbers back there waiting for him.

that makes sense then.

but if they can afford both him and CP3?

and he says he wants to win?

I dont completely eliminate the thought..

But u may be right....

Trueblue2
06-02-2013, 11:57 AM
Oh OK thanks for clearing that up. Have fun with Robert Sacre being the future for you guys then.

??? Howard leaves and our big rotation is Pau/Clark/Hill. Sacre won't see the floor unless we're decimated by injuries again.

waveycrockett
06-02-2013, 12:04 PM
??? Howard leaves and our big rotation is Pau/Clark/Hill. Sacre won't see the floor unless we're decimated by injuries again.

I stand corrected. Pau/Clark/Hill seems very formidable. A couple of future allstars in that group.

GThawks
06-02-2013, 12:05 PM

That's never come out of his mouth so who knows if its true. If CP3 also leaves LA I think Dwight will go to ATL if not Houston.

ThunderousDemon
06-02-2013, 12:08 PM

Haha

Have you looked at the Nets future, it's worse than ours. At least in 2014 we will have a'lot of cap space freed up to spend on new talent.

waveycrockett
06-02-2013, 12:09 PM
That's never come out of his mouth so who knows if its true. If CP3 also leaves LA I think Dwight will go to ATL if not Houston.

I love when fans go on the "It didn't come out of his mouth" denial. Orlando and Cleveland fans will tell you better.

waveycrockett
06-02-2013, 12:10 PM
Haha

Have you looked at the Nets future, it's worse than ours. At least in 2014 we will have a'lot of cap space freed up to spend on new talent.

Yep you guys are set.

GThawks
06-02-2013, 12:12 PM
I love when fans go on the "It didn't come out of his mouth" denial. Orlando and Cleveland fans will tell you better.

Alright do you have a quote then? I am not saying it's not true but the only time I have heard it was from "sources" and a lot of time these sources are BS.

ThunderousDemon
06-02-2013, 12:13 PM
Yep you guys are set.

The Nets are a perennial sixth to seventh seed team.

When the Lakers reload they go on to win multiple championships, you can't say that about another franchise in this league.

But hey, BROOKLYN!!! BROOKLYN!!! BROOKLYN!!!! :laugh2:

Tony_Starks
06-02-2013, 12:16 PM
I admire people that take anything Dwight says seriously...... I really do.

waveycrockett
06-02-2013, 12:21 PM
The Nets are a perennial sixth to seventh seed team.

When the Lakers reload they go on to win multiple championships, you can't say that about another franchise in this league.

But hey, BROOKLYN!!! BROOKLYN!!! BROOKLYN!!!!

Lakers are a perennial......

FOXHOUND
06-02-2013, 12:32 PM
Reading too much into any Dwight Howard comments should be a known no-no after last season. He's going to remain neutral until he makes a decision, simple as that. I think the one thing he made clear in this interview is that if he's going to stay in LA they're going to have to make some changes to appease him. Those changes probably start with the end of D' Antoni, who he wasn't so shy about bashing at the end of the season.

DoMeFavors
06-02-2013, 12:52 PM
I remember all last year Dwight let it be known he didnt want to go to LA and they still traded for him. He only wanted to be a Net and still does. LA should have stayed out of our way.

DoMeFavors
06-02-2013, 12:53 PM

If Dwight leaves they should really trade Pau keeping the same core together isnt a smart move.

tr3ymill3r
06-02-2013, 12:54 PM
Howard has spoken with Harden and filmed a commercial with Parsons, I wonder what they talked about while on set? He's a Rocket for 3 years, then for another 5.

Tony_Starks
06-02-2013, 01:01 PM
I remember all last year Dwight let it be
known he didnt want to go to LA and they still traded for him. He only wanted to be a Net and still does. LA should have stayed out of our way.

You do realize after saying that, when he got to LA he said that the Lakers were always one of the teams he wanted to go to right?

waveycrockett
06-02-2013, 01:02 PM
I remember all last year Dwight let it be known he didnt want to go to LA and they still traded for him. He only wanted to be a Net and still does. LA should have stayed out of our way.

I agree Lakers pride got in their way of reality. 1) They thought they could win without PJ. 2) Dwight didn't want to play there. They could have traded Bynum for someone who actually wanted to play and help them win in LA and they would have never pushed Mike Brown out the door. Now they wasted the last year of Kobe's time as a great player for nothing. They shot themselves in the foot.

Chacarron
06-02-2013, 01:02 PM
Robert Sacre :drool:

waveycrockett
06-02-2013, 01:05 PM
You do realize after saying that, when he got to LA he said that the Lakers were always one of the teams he wanted to go to right?
What was he supposed to say after the PR nightmare he just caused?

I hate LA. Playing in the shadow of Kareem, Wilt and Shaq sucks. Kobe is overrated??

DoMeFavors
06-02-2013, 01:08 PM

You do realize that if he is asked about that he isnt going to say it wasnt, it made it known last year that he wouldnt resign with them if traded there. ONLY THE NETS.

DoMeFavors
06-02-2013, 01:10 PM
I agree Lakers pride got in their way of reality. 1) They thought they could win without PJ. 2) Dwight didn't want to play there. They could have traded Bynum for someone who actually wanted to play and help them win in LA and they would have never pushed Mike Brown out the door. Now they wasted the last year of Kobe's time as a great player for nothing. They shot themselves in the foot.

LAL fans are some of the most classless fans in sports, maybe he doesnt want to play for them anymore. Mike Brown one of the nicest guys in the NBA started poorly as the coach and fans where sending death threats to his daughter on twitter. Sorry but I would rather be playing for the Clippers over the Lakers in LA.

RLundi
06-02-2013, 01:12 PM
I hope Dwight goes to Houston. No offense to LA fans but I never saw a good fit. I don't think he's made to withstand that pressure. It just got awkward after a while.

Howard and Harden would be amazing, provided Dwight regain his form. If both are willing to defer a little to each other, they could be extremely dangerous and an instant contender.

That's a big "if" though.

KingPosey
06-02-2013, 01:14 PM
Jesus, this guy REALLY just wanted to write all the one liners him and his daughter threw out so everyone can see how witty they are, he didn't give two ***** about the Interview. "And then She said this joke. She's so clever and good at shooting."

"And then I dropped a whopper of a singer with my super quick wit."

"And then we Improved our own rendition of Who's on First"

"... Oh and the tall basketball man was there too, doing something."

RLundi
06-02-2013, 01:14 PM
LAL fans are some of the most classless fans in sports, maybe he doesnt want to play for them anymore. Mike Brown one of the nicest guys in the NBA started poorly as the coach and fans where sending death threats to his daughter on twitter. Sorry but I would rather be playing for the Clippers over the Lakers in LA.

No offense but you don't exactly have the best reputation around here either. I shudder to think how you are in real life and in person.

I doubt the fans have much to do with Dwight's decision. He'll do what he thinks is best for him and his legacy.

waveycrockett
06-02-2013, 01:16 PM
I think Dwight is going to leave the Lakers with 2 options

1) Take back a Center who is 24. Was the best player on basically a 50 win team. #1 Among Centers in Scoring. #1 among Centers in PER. #5 Among Centers in Blocks. Finished ahead of Marc Gasol in Rebound Rate.

or

2) Get back nothing.

ThunderousDemon
06-02-2013, 01:17 PM
I think this is the feeling with the rest of the Laker fans, at least here in PSD, is that if he stays good and if he doesn't, oh well. :shrug:

It is what it is.

DoMeFavors
06-02-2013, 01:17 PM
No offense but you don't exactly have the best reputation around here either. I shudder to think how you are in real life and in person.

I doubt the fans have much to do with Dwight's decision. He'll do what he thinks is best for him and his legacy.

When have I done something even close to what I stated in that paragraph?

waveycrockett
06-02-2013, 01:18 PM
Agreed they are pretty classless and the funny part is 90% of them aren't even from LA.

DoMeFavors
06-02-2013, 01:19 PM

1) Take a Center who is 24. Was the best player on basically a 50 win team. #1 Among Centers in Scoring. #1 among Centers in PER. #5 Among Centers in Blocks. Finished ahead of Marc Gasol in Rebound Rate.

or

2) Get back nothing.

I dont think nets can do a sign and trade deal

KingPosey
06-02-2013, 01:21 PM

What an uneducated statement. He is not an average center, look At today's NBA centers and tell me how that's possible...

waveycrockett
06-02-2013, 01:21 PM

They can as long as they are under the tax apron NOT the salary cap by the end of the deal. Basically we would have to find a 3rd team who wants to be in the LeBron/Paul George/Cousins Sweepstakes in 2014 to take Humphries expiring deal.

ThunderousDemon
06-02-2013, 01:22 PM
LOL at the Nets fans. :laugh2:

They were so mad when they didn't get Howard, so now that the Lakers could potentially lose Howard, they start talking trash.

Tony_Starks
06-02-2013, 01:22 PM
What was he supposed to say after the
PR nightmare he just caused?

I hate LA. Playing in the shadow of Kareem, Wilt and Shaq sucks. Kobe is overrated??

Your proving my point for me, which is: you can't take anything he says seriously.

Nobody will know where he's going until we see the press conference.

DoMeFavors
06-02-2013, 01:26 PM
LOL at the Nets fans. :laugh2:

They were so mad when they didn't get Howard, so now that the Lakers could potentially lose Howard, they start talking trash.

I wasnt made I am a respectful fan that actually sent congrats to Lakers fans, but in the back of my head I knew that Dwight would probably leave. He doesnt fit the personality of Kobe who said that its still his team and not Dwights.

waveycrockett
06-02-2013, 01:26 PM
What an uneducated statement. He is not an average center, look At today's NBA and tell me how that's possible...
Exactly. Look at what a guy who Lopez dominates in Hibbert is doing this postseason. Crazy

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=lopezbr01&p2=hibbero01

shep33
06-02-2013, 01:28 PM
Meh, if he leaves, he leaves.

raiderposting
06-02-2013, 01:28 PM
Letting dwight walk is better than doing a sign and trade with the rockets or the deadline trade for brook Lopez. Allows the lakers to give a max to Demarcus Cousins a RFA, one the kings won't match. Will might be able to be in position for a top 3 pick. With a lineup of Nash/Meeks/Clark/pau/hill we will be lucky to win any game until kobe comes back.

DoMeFavors
06-02-2013, 01:30 PM
I remember Dwight's LA Lakers press conference he looked like he didnt even want to be there and looked like he was so mad he was a Laker.

DoMeFavors
06-02-2013, 01:31 PM
Letting dwight walk is better than doing a sign and trade with the rockets or the deadline trade for brook Lopez. Allows the lakers to give a max to Demarcus Cousins a RFA, one the kings won't match. Will might be able to be in position for a top 3 pick. With a lineup of Nash/Meeks/Clark/pau/hill we will be lucky to win any game until kobe comes back.

Cousins who never made the playoffs and has bad relationships with players and coaches deserves the max and is a guy you can build around....sure

Bravo95
06-02-2013, 01:33 PM

1) Take a Center who is 24. Was the best player on basically a 50 win team. #1 Among Centers in Scoring. #1 among Centers in PER. #5 Among Centers in Blocks. Finished ahead of Marc Gasol in Rebound Rate.

or

2) Get back nothing.

The new CBA prevents teams that are above the apron ($4 million above the tax line) from receiving any players in a sign and trade.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-salary-cap-chat-with-larry-coon-8312

shep33
06-02-2013, 01:33 PM
Cousins who never made the playoffs and has bad relationships with players and coaches deserves the max and is a guy you can build around....sure

I thought you were talking about Dwight for a second

waveycrockett
06-02-2013, 01:34 PM
The new CBA prevents teams that are above the apron ($4 million above the tax line) from receiving any players in a sign and trade.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-salary-cap-chat-with-larry-coon-8312

As long as the Nets are below the Apron AFTER the trade they can do the S&T. Would likely require a 3rd team to take Humphries expiring.

shep33
06-02-2013, 01:37 PM
Lopez at half the price of Howard is a better deal for the Nets. Net's problems are more on the offensive end anyways. Don't even know why they'd want Howard still.

ThunderousDemon
06-02-2013, 01:38 PM
:laugh2: He isn't going to the Nets, waveycockett.

That ship has sailed and isn't coming back.

Bravo95
06-02-2013, 01:41 PM
They can as long as they are under the tax apron NOT the salary cap by the end of the deal. Basically we would have to find a 3rd team who wants to be in the LeBron/Paul George/Cousins Sweepstakes in 2014 to take Humphries expiring deal.
The Lakers are a very proud franchise, why would they even consider participating in that?

DoMeFavors
:laugh2: He isn't going to the Nets, waveycockett.

I think its a bigger possibility he comes to Nets for vet min than resigning with Lakers

waveycrockett
He isn't going to the Nets, waveycockett.

If thats true so be it.

waveycrockett
06-02-2013, 01:43 PM
The Lakers are a very proud franchise, why would they even consider participating in that?
IDK their pride is what cost them Phil Jackson, Andrew Bynum and now Dwight Howard. Hopefully they see thats what is holding them back.

Iron24th
06-02-2013, 01:43 PM

Lol you have no clue, with all the cap space we'll have in 2014, you think sacre will be our C? Looool keep being ignorant.

waveycrockett
06-02-2013, 01:44 PM
Lol you have no clue, with all the cap space we'll have in 2014, you think sacre will be our C? Looool keep being ignorant.

I forgot you guys are signing LeBron and DeMarcus Cousins that summer. My bad.

Bravo95
06-02-2013, 01:47 PM
As long as the Nets are below the Apron AFTER the trade they can do the S&T. Would likely require a 3rd team to take Humphries expiring.
No, not Brooklyn. The Lakers are the team in focus that is above the apron -- LA cannot take any players back in a S&T because they have nearly $80M in salary commitments for next season.

Their alternative was to trade Dwight at the deadline, but they decided to make a bet that everything their franchise offers would be enough to retain him. We will find out if they were right to make that bet.

DoMeFavors
06-02-2013, 01:47 PM

mavs had cap space last year they did very well, Lakers era of Kobe has ended. Lakers arent a top destination for free agents anymore. It is obvious. Players want to win titles.

oak2455
06-02-2013, 01:50 PM

She's as clueless as one gets , don't waste your time typing to her

Iron24th
06-02-2013, 01:56 PM
What an uneducated statement. He is not an average center, look At today's NBA centers and tell me how that's possible...

Agree a 7 footer who takes 6.9rbs per game is great.

Bravo95
06-02-2013, 01:56 PM
IDK their pride is what cost them Phil Jackson, Andrew Bynum and now Dwight Howard. Hopefully they see thats what is holding them back.
Well, I mean certain historic franchises in every sport don't usually facilitate trades that would make the franchise look like the clear loser in the trade, which is what your 3-way idea would do.

You and I would agree that the Lakers' track record suggests they know what a real superstar looks like. I doubt they view Brook Lopez (who is a good player) as a guy who can unite a massive fan base and sellout arenas for the next 10 years. I think they'd rather take their chances in free agency when they get some breathing room.

waveycrockett
06-02-2013, 01:57 PM
No, not Brooklyn. The Lakers are the team in focus that is above the apron -- LA cannot take any players back in a S&T because they have nearly $80M in salary commitments for next season.

Their alternative was to trade Dwight at the deadline, but they decided to make a bet that everything their franchise offers would be enough to retain him. We will find out if they were right to make that bet.
A third team would need to be involved yes and most likely Lakers would have to amnesty Artest or something like that.

Iron24th
06-02-2013, 01:59 PM
I forgot you guys are signing LeBron and DeMarcus Cousins that summer. My bad.

mavs had cap space last year they did very well, Lakers era of Kobe has ended. Lakers arent a top destination for free agents anymore. It is obvious. Players want to win titles.

LAL has always been and will always be a top destination for free agents, face it, stop embarrassing yourselves.

DoMeFavors
06-02-2013, 01:59 PM

look who he has played next to the last 3 years Humphries and Reggie Evans, the team gets rebounds. Stop always looking at any negatives you can find and realize he is the best offensive c since Shaq

DoMeFavors
06-02-2013, 02:00 PM
LAL has always been and will always be a top destination for free agents, face it, stop embarrassing yourselves.

Since 04 who are your big free agent signings?

waveycrockett
06-02-2013, 02:01 PM
Well, I mean certain historic franchises in every sport don't usually facilitate trades that would make the franchise look like the clear loser in the trade, which is what your 3-way idea would do.

You and I would agree that the Lakers' track record suggests they know what a real superstar looks like. I doubt they view Brook Lopez (who is a good player) as a guy who can unite a massive fan base and sellout arenas for the next 10 years. I think they'd rather take their chances in free agency when they get some breathing room.

Lakers need to rebuild like they did back in '05. If they want to put all their eggs in the 2014 Free Agency basket and whiff like everyone else did back in 2010 that's their pride getting the best of them again.

kobe4thewinbang
06-02-2013, 02:01 PM
LOL, he basically dogged D'Antoni, as he should. That guy cannot coach.
If he resigns with LA, I expect D'Antoni to be the fired the next day.
If he wants to win right now, I don't see him returning. Then again, maybe Dwight was joking. Like he always does.

kobe4thewinbang
06-02-2013, 02:02 PM
Lakers need to rebuild like they did back in '05. If they want to put all their eggs in the 2014 Free Agency basket and whiff like everyone else did back in 2010 that's their pride getting the best of them again.LOL at your sig, dude. Too true.

waveycrockett

Your biggest free agent get in a decade has been Steve Blake. Stop.

raiderposting

Yes ill rather have cousins over Lopez.

BigCityofDreams
06-02-2013, 02:08 PM

They would rather let him walk for nothing

Iron24th
06-02-2013, 02:10 PM

I hope you're just playing the dumb and not really are, Kobe, Lamar, Gasol, Bynum were signed long term and were expansive contracts, we were 3 times to the Finals and won 2 titles during those years, so we didn't have the money and didn't have to break our core with good results genius.

ramsizzle
06-02-2013, 02:10 PM

Their free agent n trade moves set them up for 3 titles in that same decade and two right before. 5-13 years. You don't need to continually make moves if you're part of a successful franchise. Something you clearly have no clue about.

Iron24th
06-02-2013, 02:12 PM
Yeah let's take brooke lopez, a 7 footer who can't rebound since he's in the league and is probably a top 2 C injury prone behind bynum.

Bravo95
06-02-2013, 02:13 PM
Lakers need to rebuild like they did back in '05. If they want to put all their eggs in the 2014 Free Agency basket and whiff like everyone else did back in 2010 that's their pride getting the best of them again.
The first sentence I agree with, but you realize it's a difference situation than eight years ago for them. I think it's very likely that they clean house after next season (Bryant retires, D'antoni fired, Kupchak steps down, Jeanie Buss gets a more prominent role, etc) but who knows.

DoMeFavors
06-02-2013, 02:13 PM
I hope you're just playing the dumb and not really are, Kobe, Lamar, Gasol, Bynum were signed long term and were expansive contracts, we were 3 times to the Finals and won 2 titles during those years, so we didn't have the money and didn't have to break our core with good results genius.

and yet nobody took the vet min to play with them or paycut

waveycrockett
06-02-2013, 02:16 PM
LMAO @ couting your own players signing extensions. Ok buddy.

waveycrockett
06-02-2013, 02:19 PM
Yeah let's take brooke lopez, a 7 footer who can't rebound since he's in the league and is probably a top 2 C injury prone behind bynum.

Exactly.

waveycrockett
06-02-2013, 02:22 PM
The first sentence I agree with, but you realize it's a difference situation than eight years ago for them. I think it's very likely that they clean house after next season (Bryant retires, D'antoni fired, Kupchak steps down, Jeanie Buss gets a more prominent role, etc) but who knows.

Brook Lopez is 24 years old allstar Center with an affordable salary for a player of his caliber. They can add another 2 max deals around him easily.

oak2455
06-02-2013, 02:28 PM
Why would anybody want Brooks Lopez ? Isn't he making Max $$ ?

waveycrockett
06-02-2013, 02:31 PM
Why would anybody want Brooks Lopez ? Isn't he making Max $$ ?

24 year old Allstar Centers who lead their position in PER, Scoring, and #5 in BLocks dont deserve the FAKE MAX???

ThunderousDemon
06-02-2013, 02:34 PM
I think its a bigger possibility he comes to Nets for vet min than resigning with Lakers

Trolling hard.
:laugh:

Bravo95
06-02-2013, 02:35 PM
Brook Lopez is 24 years old allstar Center with an affordable salary for a player of his caliber. They can add another 2 max deals around him easily.
He is a good player, but the Lakers have a wall of retired jerseys that reads like a Who's Who of the greatest NBA centers -- the standards are HIGH in that jersey. I just don't believe they would tie up their cap space with a 'Robin' without first knowing who the next 'Batman' will be.

DoMeFavors
06-02-2013, 02:40 PM
He is a good player, but the Lakers have a wall of retired jerseys that reads like a Who's Who of the greatest NBA centers -- the standards are HIGH in that jersey. I just don't believe they would tie up their cap space with a 'Robin' without first knowing who the next 'Batman' will be.

the next batman is looking like its Earl Clark

koberulesall
06-02-2013, 02:44 PM
he isnt going anywhere i saw him at a red hot chili peppers concert he said "you think i have that big smile on my face everytime the camera shined bright on me because i want to leave?" he said this in person to me my girlfriend and like 200 other people trying to swarm him that night think what you want about it but i know what i heard him say IN PERSON so suck on that ATL DALLAS AND HOUSTON

koberulesall
06-02-2013, 02:45 PM
Also the mans shoulders in person are so effing big you could park a truck across them lol

ThunderousDemon
06-02-2013, 02:46 PM
the next batman is looking like its Earl Clark

Joe Johnson is the key to victory.

waveycrockett
06-02-2013, 02:49 PM
Joe Johnson is the key to victory.

He hit a bunch of game winning shots. Yes he did.

ThunderousDemon
06-02-2013, 02:51 PM
He hit a bunch of game winning shots. Yes he did.

First round exit to a team that didn't have their best player.

DoMeFavors
06-02-2013, 02:51 PM
he isnt going anywhere i saw him at a red hot chili peppers concert he said "you think i have that big smile on my face everytime the camera shined bright on me because i want to leave?" he said this in person to me my girlfriend and like 200 other people trying to swarm him that night think what you want about it but i know what i heard him say IN PERSON so suck on that ATL DALLAS AND HOUSTON

he said in orlando just because I asked for a trade doesnt mean I want to be traded

jrm2054
06-02-2013, 02:52 PM

Ya no way he would be saying what the crowd wants to hear to a LA crowd. You really think he would've said leave me alone I'm leaving

jrm2054

Ya no way he would be saying what the crowd wants to hear to a LA crowd. You really think he would've said leave me alone I'm leaving

DoMeFavors

Bulls have a good coach and still had 2 allstars while nets had none this year

ThunderousDemon
06-02-2013, 02:54 PM
Bulls have a good coach and still had 2 allstars while nets had none this year

Those non-stars have all-star type contracts.

waveycrockett
06-02-2013, 02:58 PM

It's cool at least we didn't get swept.

KingPosey

Great and average are on the complete opposite ends of the spectrum, don't forget all the ground In Between genius.

DoMeFavors
Those non-stars have all-star type contracts.

what does money have to do with the sport of basketball? thats all I hear on here. Joe has a huge contract so he is one of the worst players in the game. Contracts dont have anything to do with anything. Just enjoy the sport instead of over thinking everything and worrying about how much players make all the time.

ThunderousDemon
06-02-2013, 03:02 PM
what does money have to do with the sport of basketball? Thats all i hear on here. Joe has a huge contract so he is one of the worst players in the game. Contracts dont have anything to do with anything. Just enjoy the sport instead of over thinking everything and worrying about how much players make all the time.

c.r.e.a.m.

ThunderousDemon
06-02-2013, 03:04 PM
It's cool at least we didn't get swept.

Your team would have gotten swept too if you didn't have your best player and starting PG with most of depth injured.

c.c.
06-02-2013, 03:06 PM
Why would he do that? Makes me think he's doing the right thing and basically letting LA know he's leaving instead of leaving them flat at the alter.

Because he's Dwight Howard

DoMeFavors
06-02-2013, 03:06 PM
You'd get swept too if you didn't have your best player and multiple players injured.

You really cant make excuses, Lakers fully healthy this year werent winning a game against the Spurs. Did you not watch them all year?

ThunderousDemon
06-02-2013, 03:09 PM
You really cant make excuses, Lakers fully healthy this year werent winning a game against the Spurs. Did you not watch them all year?

We wouldn't have gotten swept if all of our players were healthy.

ThunderousDemon
06-02-2013, 03:11 PM
What's the Nets excuse though. You had all of your players and still lost to a team who was without their star player.

DoMeFavors
06-02-2013, 03:12 PM
We wouldn't have gotten swept if all of our players were healthy.

No you wouldnt since you dont play basketball, but the Lakers would have

ThunderousDemon
06-02-2013, 03:14 PM
No you wouldnt since you dont play basketball, but the Lakers would have

Yes, I'm sorry, the Lakers wouldn't have gotten swept if they were all healthy.

You're grasping at straws DOMEFAVORS. :D

DoMeFavors
06-02-2013, 03:20 PM
Yes, I'm sorry, the Lakers wouldn't have gotten swept if they were all healthy.

You're grasping at straws DOMEFAVORS. :D

if thats what you think im doing

ThunderousDemon
06-02-2013, 03:23 PM
if thats what you think im doing

I think you're trolling, but you have refined your skill to a point that puts you on the border between homer and troll.

It's difficult to tell.

:clap: Good job though.

DoMeFavors
06-02-2013, 03:27 PM
I think you're trolling, but you have refined your skill to a point that puts you on the border between homer and troll.

It's difficult to tell.

:clap: Good job though.

thanks but I really dont define myself but a word or type of fan, I just speak what is on my mind. I dont have a lable, I just love sports.

Lakeshow24KB
06-02-2013, 03:50 PM

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

lakerfan85
06-02-2013, 03:53 PM
thanks but I really dont define myself but a word or type of fan, I just speak what is on my mind. I dont have a lable, I just love sports.

I thought you were gonna leave PSD if the Bulls won that first round series??

lakerfan85
06-02-2013, 03:54 PM
c.r.e.a.m.

Get the money..

HouRealCoach
06-02-2013, 04:23 PM
I don't think Dwight & Harden is enough to beat Spurs, OKC, & Memphis, & if the Clippers hire Jerry Sloan they won't be enough to beat them either

NFLNBA
06-02-2013, 04:24 PM
These forums have become a joke. To call any fan base classless is just immature and stupid. All fan bases have classless people in every city. But lets call it how it is......LA has 16 Championships so they have every right to have more confidence and more cocky attitude because they are a city proven to succeed and win. Just like a lot of you would call Mayweather classless or Jon BONES jones, Silva classless, The Cowboys fan base ect ect. All the Cities with more history and proven winners have a reason they are little more cocky.

Now to the subject on hand.......I dont think it matters for LA what Howard does really. Howard is not a #1 guy. He doesnt have it mentally or the complete all around game to be that. Howard when healthy is the best defense player in the game but who knows if that comes back. He is a HUGE liability on offense because of his lack of post moves and his inability to shoot FT's. Howard is best suited for a small market team with no history, not a team like LA where the only good year is a championship.

Lakers a year from now will have the most cap space in NBA with a lot of BIG names available. They are a team that always draws the best talent and will be back on top at some point regardless of Howards decision.

knicksfan42
06-02-2013, 04:40 PM

Teams over the cap can't sign and trade.

Lakers + Giants
06-02-2013, 06:19 PM

nah, brook improved but I'd still rather just let Dwight walk and not get anything return than **** up or only chance to sign 2-3 stars just because of Lopez.

DoMeFavors
06-02-2013, 06:36 PM
Biased fans dont know, A HOF C like Dwight wanted the Nets over the Lakers. It doesnt matter what fans think. A player wanted to be on the Nets rather than the Lakers. So its probably common around the league. Fans dont play in the NBA so they dont know. Probably Dwight wants to be a Net because he can see the Nets competing for the championship the next 5 to 10 years while Lakers will be in lottery most likely after they spend their cap space on OJ Mayo and Thad Young or something.

Iron24th
06-02-2013, 06:44 PM
Biased fans dont know, A HOF C like Dwight wanted the Nets over the Lakers. It doesnt matter what fans think. A player wanted to be on the Nets rather than the Lakers. So its probably common around the league. Fans dont play in the NBA so they dont know. Probably Dwight wants to be a Net because he can see the Nets competing for the championship the next 5 to 10 years while Lakers will be in lottery most likely after they spend their cap space on OJ Mayo and Thad Young or something.

Probably the stupidest thing you've said, and it means a lot about you..........

Purple_n_Gold
06-02-2013, 06:59 PM
Lol. You must have a lot of fun living in your reality. Every fan base has morons who do/say dumb things. Hell the nets have a lot of dummies in their FO. Joe Johnson second highest contract in the NBA and they actually traded for that. Sounds way less logical than renting Howard for a year for a guy who didn't play one game all season. Im sure you would rather play for the clippers then the Lakers you would feel like a nets player still with no NBA championships.

Lake_Show2416
06-02-2013, 07:02 PM
Lakers cant do a sign & trade sending Dwight to the Nets, so these sad Brooklyn fans need to stop aiming for the future & realize that the team thats assembled is wut they're stuck with

Purple_n_Gold
06-02-2013, 07:04 PM
You are really good. That's why the nets have always been such a highly desirable location for free agents. While you are busy blowing your own horn I think you forgot to realize that the injury decimated Lakers went as far as you guys did this year...the first round and you guys were much healthier than us. But great point I'm sure you guys will hang a banner next year. Hell maybe for the next five years.

waveycrockett
06-02-2013, 07:26 PM
Lakers cant do a sign & trade sending Dwight to the Nets, so these sad Brooklyn fans need to stop aiming for the future & realize that the team thats assembled is wut they're stuck with

Brooklyn fans are not sad. At the end of the day we get an allstar Center whether this trade goes down or not. Lakers are the ones losing out here. Win-Win for us.

waveycrockett
06-02-2013, 07:30 PM
You are really good. That's why the nets have always been such a highly desirable location for free agents. While you are busy blowing your own horn I think you forgot to realize that the injury decimated Lakers went as far as you guys did this year...the first round and you guys were much healthier than us. But great point I'm sure you guys will hang a banner next year. Hell maybe for the next five years.

Thats what happens when you have a great owner which we have. Unfortunately for LA you guys no longer have that.

Purple_n_Gold
06-02-2013, 07:58 PM
Thats what happens when you have a great owner which we have. Unfortunately for LA you guys no longer have that.
We've had an awful year. Don't you worry about the Lakers we will be ok. As far as owners go Jeanie buss is a great owner. So I don't know where your inside knowledge comes from. If you are referring to Jim buss a fraction of the ownership doesn't make all of them bad. They spent the money last year it didn't work. I will go to the bank in saying our future will be much brighter than yours, book it. You have had the owner for what like 3-4 years now and you are already calling him great? Wow easily impressed I see. I can tell he's a great owner by all the leaps you guys have made. Ill just say I'm glad I'm a laker fan and not a fan of the nets. Decades of Mediocrity is not my idea of a good time. I will still say we will win another ship well before you guys sniff one. We can leave it at that. I'm sure you feel differently.

Lakers + Giants
06-02-2013, 08:12 PM
We've had an awful year. Don't you worry about the Lakers we will be ok. As far as owners go Jeanie buss is a great owner. So I don't know where your inside knowledge comes from. If you are referring to Jim buss a fraction of the ownership doesn't make all of them bad. They spent the money last year it didn't work. I will go to the bank in saying our future will be much brighter than yours, book it. You have had the owner for what like 3-4 years now and you are already calling him great? Wow easily impressed I see. I can tell he's a great owner by all the leaps you guys have made. Ill just say I'm glad I'm a laker fan and not a fan of the nets. Decades of Mediocrity is not my idea of a good time. I will still say we will win another ship well before you guys sniff one. We can leave it at that. I'm sure you feel differently.

lmao, stop taking the bait.

obvious trolls are obvious.

dee279
06-02-2013, 08:29 PM
Houston, ATL, vegas

in that order.

Fixed

waveycrockett
06-02-2013, 08:47 PM

Well being a front runner is alot easier than being a real fan. But Lakers fans will earn their stripes soon enough

Purple_n_Gold
06-02-2013, 09:02 PM
Well being a front runner is alot easier than being a real fan. But Lakers fans will earn their stripes soon enough
Yea we've had dark days they just aren't the same as your dark days. I would say being a fan for 28 years is stripes earned so I don't know what you are referring to. Also it is kind of illogical to call fans front runners of a team that finished 8th seed of the west and got swept in the first round. Wrong year for that statement bud. I will agree with you on one thing I hate front running fans. I despise front running fake Laker fans more than any other fan base. We are not often bottom seeded so having times like these are truly revealing of who the real laker fans are.

DoMeFavors
06-02-2013, 09:10 PM

Dwight hated it there and Mitch didnt want to trade him, then after season Mitch tried to get him to sign he declined. Lakers hired Dantoni over Phil Jackson. Lakers dont have it anymore their ideas are pathetic. Rest in Peace the LA Lakers. LA Clippers are the best team in LA for the next 20 plus years.

deaner
06-02-2013, 09:11 PM
Dwight hated it there and Mitch didnt want to trade him, then after season Mitch tried to get him to sign he declined. Lakers hired Dantoni over Phil Jackson. Lakers dont have it anymore their ideas are pathetic. Rest in Peace the LA Lakers. LA Clippers are the best team in LA for the next 20 plus years.

kinda like the Knicks

Tony_Starks
06-02-2013, 09:15 PM
Wow I didn't realize the Lakers decades of success hurt so many people. Damn I apologize, I would've thought the Lakers not winning chips the last 3 years would've gave the haters a break and appeased people...

Purple_n_Gold
06-02-2013, 09:27 PM
You are so right. Brooklyn's the place to be. Good luck with your season next year. I'm sure it will be very competitive.

DoMeFavors
06-02-2013, 09:45 PM
You are so right. Brooklyn's the place to be. Good luck with your season next year. I'm sure it will be very competitive.

wow thank you and your a laker fan im suprised you didnt trash me but it seems like you respect me

Purple_n_Gold
06-02-2013, 09:47 PM
wow thank you and your a laker fan im suprised you didnt trash me but it seems like you respect me
Much respect. NBA guru. You are a knowledgeable basketball mind.

DoMeFavors
06-03-2013, 01:31 AM
Wow I didn't realize the Lakers decades of success hurt so many people. Damn I apologize, I would've thought the Lakers not winning chips the last 3 years would've gave the haters a break and appeased people...

I wasnt aware that the past had anything to do with current time. What a very peculiar thing to say, but I dont expect much from you.

bholly
06-03-2013, 05:10 AM

Taking on Humphries only helps a team in that situation if they're sending a longer contract back. The first problem is that even with an overestimate of the tax and apron levels, and an underestimate of the salary you're taking back, you'll likely also have to ditch Teletovic, Brooks, Evans or you'll need to ask Dwight to take a significant paycut - and Teletovic in particular isn't going to be easy to cut.

The second problem is who is this mystery team taking on Humphries? The teams who can both afford to take on Humphries and rate their 2014 chances enough for it to be worth paying him are DAL, ATL, maybe HOU - ie the exact teams who would never facilitate Dwight to the Nets.

I don't think this plan is as plausible as you think. Possible, yes, but it would take some real luck on BKN's part.

Kobes a Killer
06-03-2013, 05:24 AM

2014 is our future, Dwight or no Dwight. Just wait

sjbirds
06-03-2013, 05:31 AM

20 years?? Haha c'mon dude how the **** do u know what's happening 20 min from now let alone 20 years..only thing we know is in 20 years the nets will still be paying jj

Iron24th
06-03-2013, 07:36 AM
People stop feeding DMF the troll, the guy should have disappeared after the nets got beat by a depleted bulls team, when he said before the nets will destroy chicago, loool pathetic.

tr3ymill3r
06-03-2013, 08:54 AM

The Lakers have to wait to be good again? LeBron isn't coming.

oak2455
06-03-2013, 09:02 AM
People stop feeding DMF the troll, the guy should have disappeared after the nets got beat by a depleted bulls team, when he said before the nets will destroy chicago, loool pathetic.

Exactly!!! Funny thing is she's talking like the Nets won something ? Nope still waiting..... :laugh:

enitialdee
06-03-2013, 03:39 PM
To the poster calling lakers fan classless, I applaud you. :clap::clap::clap:I will also add lakers fan are the most annoying, cocky, arrogant, obnoxious mofo ever. Yeah lakers have a rich winning, but **** that doesn't make you lakers fan a better human being who's above everyone else, get off your high horse and calm the **** down.

enitialdee
06-03-2013, 03:41 PM
The Lakers have to wait to be good again? LeBron isn't coming.

So true.. 2014 LBJ will be 30, he's not going to a rebuilding laker team..

SB75
06-03-2013, 04:03 PM
Few things to clear up......

1) It's never been reported that DH hates Atl. That is just a total lie made up by fans. When drafted he even said he hoped Atl would be able to trade up and get him. Now a lot has changed since then. Atl may not be his #1 choice, but he has never said he hated it.

2) If the hawks can land Paul, Howard would have to give it serious thoughts of coming home.

3) I think Houston is a possibility because of the star power of Harden. It would give him a wing who wants to share the ball.

SB75
06-03-2013, 04:13 PM
So true.. 2014 LBJ will be 30, he's not going to a rebuilding laker team..

Now that I don't know about. LBJ's star power along with LA's star power could make a rebuild only last one season. While I do think Cle with Irving and whoever they add this year in the draft is a greater possibility and a feel good story, LBJ to LA is not out of the question. George, Shumpert, Thompson, Drummond, Cousins, and Wall to name a few young stars are all FA that year as well. Being that LBJ can make more money from Nike, Sprite and others in LA and NY than he could any where else, it's at least possible he could take less from the Lakers knowing he can make it up and more on the back end...... Remember Shaq left ORL where they offered more money, to go to LA.

DODGERS&LAKERS
06-03-2013, 04:31 PM
Few things to clear up......

1) It's never been reported that DH hates Atl. That is just a total lie made up by fans. When drafted he even said he hoped Atl would be able to trade up and get him. Now a lot has changed since then. Atl may not be his #1 choice, but he has never said he hated it.

I dont think he hates Atl. I just heard he wants to stay away from some old friends and relatives who are always asking for things.

2) If the hawks can land Paul, Howard would have to give it serious thoughts of coming home.

If they land CP3 I bet Howard would go there. That would be great to see.

3) I think Houston is a possibility because of the star power of Harden. It would give him a wing who wants to share the ball.

James Harden has had assist percentages of 12.3, 12.8,19.3, and 25.7. Those are ball hog numbers if I have ever seen them. What makes you make a statement like that with the stats saying that Harden passes far less than Kobe does?

Iron24th
06-03-2013, 04:52 PM
Exactly!!! Funny thing is she's talking like the Nets won something ? Nope still waiting..... :laugh:

:laugh:

waveycrockett
06-03-2013, 05:08 PM

So Lakers are doing the same thing the Knicks did 3 years ago. Hope the bright lights attract LeBron with D'Antoni and a frumpled unimpressive owner making the sales pitch. You guys are going to be disappointed. He doesn't want to play in a big city with expectations. He's more likely to go back to Cleveland than he is to play in LA.

DODGERS&LAKERS
06-03-2013, 05:27 PM
So Lakers are doing the same thing the Knicks did 3 years ago. Hope the bright lights attract LeBron with D'Antoni and a frumpled unimpressive owner making the sales pitch. You guys are going to be disappointed. He doesn't want to play in a big city with expectations. He's more likely to go back to Cleveland than he is to play in LA.

I dont know. The last time we had cap room was 1996. We landed some dude by the name of Shaq O'neal. But I dont think a 30 year old James is the best option. I would rather go for Paul George. I think they could just drive up the price so much that a small market team like Indiana would not want to go into the luxory tax. Along with him I would like Deng. If Dwight stays that is a great defensive team.

If Dwight leaves then sign George and Deng and some mediocre guys for one year deals or Pau Gasol for one year and go after Kevin Love in 2015.

waveycrockett
06-03-2013, 05:39 PM
I dont know. The last time we had cap room was 1996. We landed some dude by the name of Shaq O'neal. But I dont think a 30 year old James is the best option. I would rather go for Paul George. I think they could just drive up the price so much that a small market team like Indiana would not want to go into the luxory tax. Along with him I would like Deng. If Dwight stays that is a great defensive team.

If Dwight leaves then sign George and Deng and some mediocre guys for one year deals or Pau Gasol for one year and go after Kevin Love in 2015.
LeBron does not want to play in the bright lights thats why he turned down the Knicks and BULLS he does not have the personality of Shaq. LeBron doesn't want to play in the shadow of greatness. He wants it easy. He went to Miami so he could be a role player instead of the main man, ride his bike to work without being bothered, win titles and sit on the beach sipping Mai Thai. LeBron and Dwight have more in common than you think.

DODGERS&LAKERS
06-03-2013, 05:42 PM
LeBron does not want to play in the bright lights thats why he turned down the Knicks and BULLS he does not have the personality of Shaq. LeBron doesn't want to play in the shadow of greatness. He wants it easy. He went to Miami so he could be a role player instead of the main man. LeBron and Dwight have more in common than you think.

That may be true and that is fine. Like I said, he will be 30 years old. Players decline begins at that age. Actually, the past has shown that the average age players start to decline according to their PER is age 27. But it really takes a drop after age 30. I dont think he is the answer. I would prefer lower level stars that compliment eachother. I dont want three max players with nothing around them.

waveycrockett
06-03-2013, 05:46 PM
That may be true and that is fine. Like I said, he will be 30 years old. Players decline begins at that age. Actually, the past has shown that the average age players start to decline according to their PER is age 27. But it really takes a drop after age 30. I dont think he is the answer. I would prefer lower level stars that compliment eachother. I dont want three max players with nothing around them.
Most players decline at 30 and most players are not 6'8.5 250lbs with a 40+ Inch vertical. Dont compare him to most players he is a freak of nature. He will not decline anywhere close to 30 we might start seeing him slow down at 35 MAYBE.

DODGERS&LAKERS
06-03-2013, 06:12 PM
Most players decline at 30 and most players are not 6'8.5 250lbs with a 40+ Inch vertical. Dont compare him to most players he is a freak of nature. He will not decline anywhere close to 30 we might start seeing him slow down at 35 MAYBE.

35? Seems kind of far fetched since every player in NBA history has declined long before that. Wilt was also a freak and fell off after the age of 29. Lebron will still be great. But he wont be this Lebron. And even this Lebron is having a hard time winning championships. He has been the best player in the NBA for about 7 years. Only once has his team come out on top. Not having him does not mean you are not going to win a ring.

Aust
06-03-2013, 06:16 PM
Lebron will never be a Laker. I just don't ever see that happening. Would love for him to sign with another team, but I think he'll play the majority of his career in MIA

bholly
06-03-2013, 07:03 PM

Not only would Indy be more than happy to match PG's max, they'll almost certainly offer it to him as an extension before he even gets to free agency, with the extra year included. Time to think of a new plan.

DODGERS&LAKERS
06-03-2013, 07:42 PM
Not only would Indy be more than happy to match PG's max, they'll almost certainly offer it to him as an extension before he even gets to free agency, with the extra year included. Time to think of a new plan.

I know right. Just as OKC didnt give away Harden due to not wanting to pay that tax. Oh wait....

I dont think you know what Indy would do for sure. They have never shown the want or ability to spend big money. The Lakers have shown a willingness to spend. I am pretty sure the Pacers owners dont like the idea of you spending their money.

waveycrockett
06-03-2013, 07:57 PM
I know right. Just as OKC didnt give away Harden due to not wanting to pay that tax. Oh wait....

I dont think you know what Indy would do for sure. They have never shown the want or ability to spend big money. The Lakers have shown a willingness to spend. I am pretty sure the Pacers owners dont like the idea of you spending their money.
Umm completely different situations LOL....

OKC was already paying Westbrook and Durant the Max with huge money already tied up in Perkins and Ibaka. If you really think Indy isn't going to match the FAKE max for George your crazy. To say they haven't shown a want to spend money is just plain ridiculous considering they gave Hibbert the max and Davd West's big deal is coming off the books. They will definitely match any offer for George.

bholly
06-03-2013, 09:53 PM

Show me a single instance of an NBA team with an All-Star best player on a rookie deal not being willing to match whatever for them because of money. Even OKC didn't let Harden walk, and he was only their third best player (in their opinion).

The Indy owners maxed Roy Hibbert, paid a huge amount to Granger, and pay David West $10m per season, too.
In the 11 years before their current rebuild (ie 1998-99 until 2008-09) they exceeded the cap by an average of $16.5m, outspending the Lakers in 4 of those 11 years, and falling into the bottom half of the league (by total salary) only twice.
As for individual talent, from 2003-04 until 2007-08 they paid Jermaine O'Neal more than the Lakers paid Kobe, signing him to a 7 year $126m contract in 2003.

The Pacers ownership have never shown any fear or lack of ability to spend to win, they've just been rebuilding the last few years. I don't recall them letting any young talent walk because of money. This includes last offseason when they maxed a young All Star and many criticized them for overpaying to keep him.

Really, I think you just don't know what you're talking about in this respect. I think you're seeing "Lakers vs small market" and talking without actually looking at the history.

Maybe if OKC had've let Durant go then that would've meant something, but a team trading what they consider to be their third best player has nothing to tell us about what a team will do with a young super star.

You're right in that I don't know for certain that they'll re-sign him, but I would be a very large amount that they will. If the don't, it would be completely unprecedented in the league and a shock to anybody who's thinking based on anything other than hope for their own team.

bholly
06-03-2013, 10:00 PM
That's not even to mention the fact that Indy won't be even close to the tax the way things are going. With Granger expiring, they could max PG and give David West another $10m per year contract and the current core would likely fit under the 2014 cap, let alone the tax.
There just isn't anything at all to suggest the Pacers might consider letting PG go.

DODGERS&LAKERS
06-03-2013, 11:14 PM
Show me a single instance of an NBA team with an All-Star best player on a rookie deal not being willing to match whatever for them because of money. Even OKC didn't let Harden walk, and he was only their third best player (in their opinion).

The Indy owners maxed Roy Hibbert, paid a huge amount to Granger, and pay David West $10m per season, too.
In the 11 years before their current rebuild (ie 1998-99 until 2008-09) they exceeded the cap by an average of $16.5m, outspending the Lakers in 4 of those 11 years, and falling into the bottom half of the league (by total salary) only twice.
As for individual talent, from 2003-04 until 2007-08 they paid Jermaine O'Neal more than the Lakers paid Kobe, signing him to a 7 year $126m contract in 2003.

The Pacers ownership have never shown any fear or lack of ability to spend to win, they've just been rebuilding the last few years. I don't recall them letting any young talent walk because of money. This includes last offseason when they maxed a young All Star and many criticized them for overpaying to keep him.

Really, I think you just don't know what you're talking about in this respect. I think you're seeing "Lakers vs small market" and talking without actually looking at the history.

Maybe if OKC had've let Durant go then that would've meant something, but a team trading what they consider to be their third best player has nothing to tell us about what a team will do with a young super star.

You're right in that I don't know for certain that they'll re-sign him, but I would be a very large amount that they will. If the don't, it would be completely unprecedented in the league and a shock to anybody who's thinking based on anything other than hope for their own team.

The past does not dictate the future since the new CBA has been implemented. Teams are going to try to avoid the punitive tax for repeat offenders. That is why the Thunder did not want to extend Harden. They would be paying max tax dollars. They might have bitten the bullet if it was just dollar for dollar penalties. Teams have been amnestying players left and right to avoid that tax. One team has already given up on a great player for money reasons. This trend is going to continue.

waveycrockett
06-03-2013, 11:15 PM
The past does not dictate the future since the new CBA has been implemented. Teams are going to try to avoid the punitive tax for repeat offenders. That is why the Thunder did not want to extend Harden. They would be paying max tax dollars. They might have bitten the bullet if it was just dollar for dollar penalties. Teams have been amnestying players left and right to avoid that tax. One team has already given up on a great player for money reasons. This trend is going to continue.

I still can't believe your using the Harden example to say the Pacers are going to let Paul George walk lololol.

waveycrockett
06-03-2013, 11:15 PM

I still can't believe your using the Harden example to say the Pacers are going to let Paul George walk lololol.

DODGERS&LAKERS
06-03-2013, 11:16 PM
That's not even to mention the fact that Indy won't be even close to the tax the way things are going. With Granger expiring, they could max PG and give David West another $10m per year contract and the current core would likely fit under the 2014 cap, let alone the tax.
There just isn't anything at all to suggest the Pacers might consider letting PG go.

That depends on what they do for next year. Do they not sign West and let Granger just leave so that they dont touch the tax? Possible. But one way or another they will be letting players go for money reasons.

DODGERS&LAKERS
06-03-2013, 11:16 PM

Why is that? lolololololol

waveycrockett
06-03-2013, 11:17 PM
That depends on what they do for next year. Do they not sign West and let Granger just leave so that they dont touch the tax? Possible. But one way or another they will be letting players go for money reasons.

Actually yeah thats exactly what they are likely going to do instead of letting Paul George leave.

waveycrockett
06-03-2013, 11:19 PM
Why is that? lolololololol

Your comparing one small market team that had about $270 Million tied into 4 players and couldn't afford to pay another player a max deal and comparing them to another team that has about $30 Million tied into it's entire team in 2014.

DODGERS&LAKERS
06-03-2013, 11:23 PM
Actually yeah thats exactly what they are likely going to do instead of letting Paul George leave.

So they wont even attempt to try to build on this year? They are just going to let guys leave so than can keep George and Hibbert? Pacer fans should just not watch next year since they are not even going to try to win. West will help someone next year then. Granger will also be a nice pick up for someone.

DODGERS&LAKERS
06-03-2013, 11:26 PM
Your comparing one small market team that had about $270 Million tied into 4 players and couldn't afford to pay another player a max deal and comparing them to another team that has about $30 Million tied into it's entire team in 2014.

As of now they only have that tied up. They also only have 5 players on that roster. I think they may want to keep West, Hansbrough, and maybe Granger. If not trade Granger for another salary. They will have to fill in their bench.

waveycrockett
06-03-2013, 11:27 PM
So they wont even attempt to try to build on this year? They are just going to let guys leave so than can keep George and Hibbert? Pacer fans should just not watch next year since they are not even going to try to win. West will help someone next year then. Granger will also be a nice pick up for someone.

Granger didn't even play this year dude AT ALL and they nearly beat the HEAT without him. Next year they will probably trade him for David West's replacement. George, Hibbert, Stephenson will all be even better and the HEAT will be 1 year older. Pacers still have a great shot.

waveycrockett
06-03-2013, 11:28 PM
As of now they only have that tied up. They also only have 5 players on that roster. I think they may want to keep West, Hansbrough, and maybe Granger. If not trade Granger for another salary. They will have to fill in their bench.

Oh yeah they are definitely going to show Hansbrough and West all the $$$ and forget to leave enough money to sign George....Sure

DODGERS&LAKERS
06-03-2013, 11:34 PM
Oh yeah they are definitely going to show Hansbrough and West all the $$$ and forget to leave enough money to sign George....Sure

I didnt say all the money. But 10 million here 5 million there add up. As well as whatever else they have to pay out just to fill out the roster.

These scenarios are going to be prevelant throughout the league.

bholly
06-04-2013, 12:11 AM

1. The new CBA was implemented before they maxed out Hibbert. I agree the effects of the CBA on FO decisions haven't been fully realized yet, but there's just about no chance they get to the point that teams are letting young superstars walk for nothing.

2. As I said, they aren't even close to the tax yet. They could give West $10m and Granger and PG $15m each and they'll still only have $73m in salary committed for 2014-15, ie unless BRI barely grows the next two years they still won't be at the tax level. You could argue they still have to re-sign Augustin and Hansbrough and Stephenson, and maybe they want to add more guys - but they also aren't going to give West+PG+Granger $40m per year between them.

3. They aren't at the tax level this year, and there's a good chance they still won't be next year, so the repeater rate won't be a concern for them until at least 2016-17 and maybe 2017-18 - and it's not like they'd have trouble shedding PG and/or Hibbert before then.

4. Even if we assume you're correct about all the assumptions you're making, why would they just let him walk? Let's assume the Indy owner isn't willing to pay the tax, but despite that they still keep West and Granger and others, AND pay them enough to get up to the tax level they know they won't go over (despite knowing they're going to have to re-sign PG), AND do it in a way where they somehow can't shed any of that salary before 2014 and so the only way to stay below the tax is to not keep PG, AND still decide that it's worth letting PG go (ie that the loss in revenue from giving up being a contender doesn't make up for the extra tax) - even if all that happens, why would they just let him walk?
Why wouldn't they S+T him to someone who actually had something to offer, like in your Harden example?
Even if PG refuses an S+T and signs an offer sheet with LAL, why wouldn't they just match and then trade him to some team with cap room? There'd be plenty of takers who have more to offer than LAL, and it wouldn't cost them anything in tax because tax is calculated on the last day of the season - by which point they don't have him anymore.
In what possible scenario do they decide it's better to just let him walk to LAL?

The only way he ends up in LAL is if they get enough assets to offer Indy for an S+T or post-signing trade, or if he's so set on going there that he accepts the qualifying offer in 2014 to become an unrestricted FA in 2015 (or can threaten that credibly enough that they trade him before then, ie this offseason).

Am I missing something?

waveycrockett
06-04-2013, 12:14 AM
1. The new CBA was implemented before they maxed out Hibbert. I agree the effects of the CBA on FO decisions haven't been fully realized yet, but there's just about no chance they get to the point that teams are letting young superstars walk for nothing.

2. As I said, they aren't even close to the tax yet. They could give West $10m and Granger and PG $15m each and they'll still only have $73m in salary committed for 2014-15, ie unless BRI barely grows the next two years they still won't be at the tax level. You could argue they still have to re-sign Augustin and Hansbrough and Stephenson, and maybe they want to add more guys - but they also aren't going to give West+PG+Granger $40m per year between them.

3. They aren't at the tax level this year, and there's a good chance they still won't be next year, so the repeater rate won't be a concern for them until at least 2016-17 and maybe 2017-18 - and it's not like they'd have trouble shedding PG and/or Hibbert before then.

4. Even if we assume you're correct about all the assumptions you're making, why would they just let him walk? Let's assume the Indy owner isn't willing to pay the tax, but despite that they still keep West and Granger and others, and pay them enough to get up to the tax level they know they won't go over (despite knowing they're going to have to re-sign PG), and do it in a way where they somehow can't shed any of that salary before 2014 and so the only way to stay below the tax is to not keep PG, and then still decide that it's worth letting PG go (ie that the loss in revenue from giving up being a contender doesn't make up for the extra tax) - then why would they just let him walk?
Why wouldn't they S+T him to someone who actually had something to offer, like in your Harden example?
Even if PG refuses an S+T and signs an offer sheet with LAL, why wouldn't they just match and then trade him to some team with cap room? There'd be plenty of takers who have more to offer than LAL, and it wouldn't cost them anything in tax because tax is calculated on the last day of the season - by which point they don't have him anymore.
In what possible scenario do they decide it's better to just let him walk to LAL?

The only way he ends up in LAL is if they get enough assets to offer Indy for an S+T or post-signing trade, or if he's so set on going there that he accepts the qualifying offer in 2014 to become an unrestricted FA in 2015 (or can threaten that credibly enough that they trade him before then, ie this offseason).

Am I missing something?

Short Answer: Unless Homer Simpson is running the team there is no way the Pacers aren't locking up Paul George. They hold all the cards in restricted free agency.

DoMeFavors
06-04-2013, 12:14 AM
Its so funny that even Lakers fans know he is leaving, he wants nothing to do with that franchise. He never wanted to be there.

DoMeFavors
06-04-2013, 12:20 AM
Going from Shaq right to Andrew Bynum to Dwight and now Jordan Hill. Jordan has got some big shoes to fill. Lopez might drop 60 on him next year.

bholly
06-04-2013, 12:29 AM
Its so funny that even Lakers fans know he is leaving, he wants nothing to do with that franchise. He never wanted to be there.

Nobody knows anything yet. Probably not even Dwight. LAL are still right there to re-sign him.

When you do stuff like this - claim that things are facts based on no evidence other than that they're good for the Nets or bad for a team you don't like, when really nobody knows anything - all you do is discredit yourself. It's the Melo-NJN-UMad? signatures all over again. Nobody knows anything for sure, and claiming things as certain when they're really coin-flips does nothing but discredit you.
Even if you concinved every single person here that you were right, got every Lakers fan bummed, and every Nets or Rockets or whoever fan excited, it ends up making no difference to what actually happens, so what's the point?