PDA

View Full Version : Do Clippers or Nets Get Jeff Van Gundy?

Clippersfan86
06-01-2013, 02:24 PM
Both teams pursuing him and he has NOT turned down either job, basically leaving the door open. He's done a good job of keeping quiet about both jobs but I'm wondering if you guys think he takes either job? I know he loves his gig now but both squads offer him a nice opportunity to add to his resume.

http://www.netsdaily.com/2013/6/1/4386080/jeff-van-gundy-remains-elusive-on-coaching-future-calls-los-angeles

waveycrockett
06-01-2013, 02:26 PM
The loser ends up with Lionel Hollins. Win-Win

Clippersfan86
06-01-2013, 02:28 PM
The loser ends up with Lionel Hollins. Win-Win

Apparently both teams top targets are these guys.. so probably true. Is Memphis letting Hollins go?

waveycrockett
06-01-2013, 02:31 PM
Apparently both teams top targets are these guys.. so probably true. Is Memphis letting Hollins go?

Recent comments by Grizzlies Execs and Hollins suggest he will not be back and they will go with their stud Assistant. Grizzlies will not get into a bidding war over Hollins with LA or BK.

Meanwhile, the man who will negotiate a contract with Hollins, CEO Jason Levien said of the coach with the best record in Grizzlies history, "we admire the job he's done."

Doesn't exactly sound like a love affair or a done deal, does it?

"Hopefully, I will be here," Hollins said Wednesday. "I love the guys. I love this city and the fans and everybody associated with the team. But we've got to be very, very realistic in what the future holds."

And that wasn't the end of it. When Hollins was asked if he “may” negotiate with other teams if the Grizzlies don’t present a satisfactory offer, he said, “Not 'may.' Will. We can be clear about that one.”

Levien was complimentary but non-committal. "Certainly, we admire the job he's done. He's been very helpful and very positive," Levien said, according to the Memphis Commercial Appeal. Among the things Hollins reportedly wants to know before making a commitment is what Levien plans to do with the roster. Levien traded away Rudy Gay on Jan. 30, the second trade clearing up space away from the luxury tax threshold. That's not something Hollins would have to worry about with Mikhail Prokhorov, at least for the foreseeable future.

Clippersfan86
06-01-2013, 02:36 PM
Recent comments by Grizzlies Execs and Hollins suggest he will not be back and they will go with their stud Assistant. Grizzlies will not get into a bidding war over Hollins with LA or BK.

Hmmm. Something tells me Nets want Hollins more, Clippers want JVG more. If that's how it worked out both teams should be ECSTATIC. I know I would be.

waveycrockett
06-01-2013, 02:39 PM
Hmmm. Something tells me Nets want Hollins more, Clippers want JVG more. If that's how it worked out both teams should be ECSTATIC. I know I would be.

Hollins or Shaw would be a better fit for the Nets. JVG is a great coach but the Nets need a coach who will get in their face like Hollins.

Clippersfan86
06-01-2013, 02:42 PM
Hollins or Shaw would be a better fit for the Nets. JVG is a great coach but the Nets need a coach who will get in their face like Hollins.

Yea I agree. Although we need a WAY firmer coach too.. Hollins might be TOO confrontational considering we have so many hot heads on our team. Maybe we need somebody who commands respect but that also has tact (JVG) and communicates well. Hollins like you said will get in players faces and the Nets will become way more disciplined.

meloman1592
06-01-2013, 02:45 PM
Whoever gets jvg is getting the better coach

waveycrockett
06-01-2013, 02:52 PM
Whoever gets jvg is getting the better coach

JVG has a history of quitting on his teams.

KniCks4LiFe
06-01-2013, 02:53 PM
if JVG coaches Brooklyn he's banned for life from MSG. Pick the Clippers.

GunFactor187
06-01-2013, 02:54 PM
I actually prefer it if JVG stays on ESPN, lol.

KniCks4LiFe
06-01-2013, 02:57 PM
JVG has never coached a team w/ a top 5 PG. Never in his career. Add to that bigs that can score 20/8, one team has a bench, the other has a "bench" get it?

waveycrockett
06-01-2013, 03:13 PM
Main thing about JVG that worries me. He is a very good coach who feels like he should be treated like a Hall of Fame coach. I dont like that and I wonder about his passion to coach. How you can quit on a team with a prime Yao and a prime T-Mac is beyond me.

KniCks4LiFe
06-01-2013, 03:19 PM
To be honest, you guys get either JVG or Hollins, Deron Williams is the big issue, does he fall in line. I think JVG makes you a 2nd rd team. I think Hollins is the guy they need. If they ever turn Brooklyn into the grind house that'd be interesting.

kdspurman
06-01-2013, 03:27 PM
I actually prefer it if JVG stays on ESPN, lol.

+1... Though it'd be cool if SVG took his place commentating if that happens lol

east fb knicks
06-01-2013, 04:57 PM
who cares both teams aren't going anywhere the way they are currently constructed

SportsFanatic10
06-01-2013, 05:45 PM

ya i think he's gone too, he seemed upset with the gay trade from the beginning.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-01-2013, 05:45 PM
Think he stays at ESPN still tbh.

Clippersfan86
06-01-2013, 05:56 PM
who cares both teams aren't going anywhere the way they are currently constructed

Hmm... Knicks fan..

UPRock
06-01-2013, 06:46 PM
JVG is going to Brooklyn and Hollins is going to L.A.

seikou8
06-01-2013, 07:07 PM
Hmm... Knicks fan..
yup us too

THE MTL
06-01-2013, 08:14 PM
JVG isnt coaching. I think he lacks the passion to coach. Teams have been begging him to come back for at least 5 years now. He loves his stupid, easy job at ESPN and he'll probably remain there.