PDA

View Full Version : Can You Say Coach Messier?

Toon88
05-31-2013, 07:22 PM
This can go either horribly wrong or really good. Sometimes great players make bad coaches see Wayne Gretzky, Brian Trottier. No one knows his coaching style either.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nhl/story/_/id/9328184/new-york-rangers-hire-mark-messier-replace-john-tortorella

J4KOP99
05-31-2013, 07:44 PM
Let messier be the gm. Hire an experienced hc

nyr1980
05-31-2013, 07:53 PM
Please, no Mess behind the bench.

bsi
05-31-2013, 08:30 PM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/gretzky-messier-interested-in-rangers-job/

How about both of them interested.

J4KOP99
05-31-2013, 08:34 PM
It was only a matter of time until this speculation began though. And leave it to mother****ing espn to start it

nyr2002nyr
05-31-2013, 10:43 PM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/gretzky-messier-interested-in-rangers-job/

How about both of them interested.

Haha Wayne was just in town for the BMW pro am getting bombed all over town and taking drunk pics with everyone and anyone. No thank you

I think messier will wait for slats to go next year and walk into his position. It's a PR nightmare if he take the HC job and doesn't do well

NYY09
06-01-2013, 03:22 PM
Haha Wayne was just in town for the BMW pro am getting bombed all over town and taking drunk pics with everyone and anyone. No thank you

I think messier will wait for slats to go next year and walk into his position. It's a PR nightmare if he take the HC job and doesn't do well

Shouldn't be that bad, besides, if he is indeed terrible he could still potentially just move upstairs if he wanted. I mean, its Mess... The tough part would be letting the other guys get a job and then who do you turn to? But it would sure make for interesting viewing.

On a side note, Gretz is also interested it seems. Could anyone picture Mess with Gretz and Leetch coaching the PP?

nyr2002nyr
06-01-2013, 11:30 PM
Shouldn't be that bad, besides, if he is indeed terrible he could still potentially just move upstairs if he wanted. I mean, its Mess... The tough part would be letting the other guys get a job and then who do you turn to? But it would sure make for interesting viewing.

On a side note, Gretz is also interested it seems. Could anyone picture Mess with Gretz and Leetch coaching the PP?

It could be just me but it sounds awful. It might be only reason mess is. Interested is that he knows he might be only 2nd in line to replace slats now.

NYSPORTS98
06-02-2013, 11:06 AM
Let messier be the gm. Hire an experienced hc

Respectfullly, do we have any idea what qualifies Messier as a businessman? The NHL has some of the weakest and most uneducated GM'ers out of all the four major sports. Maybe Messier would be a great GM or another Phil Esposito, etc. Watch what you wish for.

nyr1980
06-02-2013, 11:54 AM
I don't think Mess is smart enough to coach or run an NHL franchise.

fingerbang
06-02-2013, 02:23 PM
I have Kurt Russell as my leading candidate. Paul Newman would be 1b but unfortunately, he's dead.

NYR_NYJ
06-02-2013, 03:12 PM
I would like to keep Messier's legacy a positive one. Him going behind the bench won't work.

SLY WILLIAMS
06-02-2013, 03:46 PM
Neither Mess nor Gretz would be in my top 5 picks as head coach but I would not rule out Gretz just because of Pho. I have seen multiple pro coaches have bad rookie jobs in bad situations but then go on to have great results on another team.

While I would not want Mess or Gretz as my top choices as head coach I think no matter who is picked as head coach we should take a new approach. If the new coach does not mind lets hire Gretz as an assistant coach to specifically work with the PP. Lets hire Brian Leetch to be a home game commentator and part time defense/PP coach. Lets ask Mess to work with our centers during or after practices on their faceoffs. Lets give these 3 all time greats some specific responsibility for improving this team.

nyr2002nyr
06-02-2013, 09:19 PM
Neither Mess nor Gretz would be in my top 5 picks as head coach but I would not rule out Gretz just because of Pho. I have seen multiple pro coaches have bad rookie jobs in bad situations but then go on to have great results on another team.

While I would not want Mess or Gretz as my top choices as head coach I think no matter who is picked as head coach we should take a new approach. If the new coach does not mind lets hire Gretz as an assistant coach to specifically work with the PP. Lets hire Brian Leetch to be a home game commentator and part time defense/PP coach. Lets ask Mess to work with our centers during or after practices on their faceoffs. Lets give these 3 all time greats some specific responsibility for improving this team.

I think those days are past Wayne now.

bsi
06-05-2013, 05:51 PM
I wouldn't mind either of them in a supporting role but if we put an inexperienced coach in and the team struggles you can kiss Ludqvist goodbye. Atleast if we have a proven player friendly coach then we give the team a chance to win, gambling on unknowns is not where this team is at right now.