PDA

View Full Version : Where will Tony Parker rank with another finals mvp

JordansBulls
05-31-2013, 11:41 AM
Right now he has 1 and if the Spurs win it all this year, he most likely will be the main reason why. If so it would give him 2 finals mvp's which would be the 2nd most for a PG and only Magic would have more at 3. How would you view TP with another Finals mvp? Would he jump into the top 50 all time?

harryharrison
05-31-2013, 12:42 PM
Yes. He makes a strong statement for a top 3 PG of all time.

kingkenny01
05-31-2013, 01:09 PM
With a ring this year I still would not put him over Magic Johnson, Oscar Robertson, John Stockton or Isiah Thomas or Steve Nash

DillyDill
05-31-2013, 01:29 PM
Rings and finals MVP definitely speaks volume, so top 3 point alltime forshore for me... Those accolades are super hard to obtain

JordansBulls
05-31-2013, 01:32 PM
Rings and finals MVP definitely speaks volume, so top 3 point alltime forshore for me... Those accolades are super hard to obtain

Top 3 all time???

Avenged
05-31-2013, 01:35 PM
Top 50 for sure. I know many don't like to value rings but rings + a potential 2x Finals MVP deserved it's cred. The fact that it's in question whether he's top 50 or not is truly remarkable.

harryharrison
05-31-2013, 01:37 PM
Top 3 all time???

Well all time rankings are the same as ranking the best careers. Or at the least very similar.

Tony Parker with a 2nd FMVP would be the best PG of his generation.

PG is probably the weakest all time position especially since the NBA has been dominated by big men for most of it's lifetime.

Magic is definitely #1, but after that the field is wide open.

The PG position just is not that deep all time.

DillyDill
05-31-2013, 01:55 PM
Top 3 all time???

Absolutely top 3 point of all-time his accomplishments and accolades would do all his talking

Hellcrooner
05-31-2013, 02:41 PM
top 75 player all time
top 10 pg all time.

HouRealCoach
05-31-2013, 02:42 PM
With a ring this year I still would not put him over Magic Johnson, Oscar Robertson, John Stockton or Isiah Thomas or Steve Nash

Can't be serious....

HouRealCoach
05-31-2013, 02:47 PM
Well I think he could be a top 10 PG all time, maybe top 5 but I would still have Magic, Isiah, Stockton, Kidd over him for sure, he'd be battling with Payton, West, Archibald, etc.

b@llhog24
05-31-2013, 03:32 PM
top 75 player all time
top 10 pg all time.

Seems about right.

3RDASYSTEM
05-31-2013, 03:38 PM

Or FRAZIER or IVERSON or on and on and on

you guys are making rings look more and more useless

? is where would PARKER be ranked had SA opted to sign KIDD instead

harryharrison
05-31-2013, 03:42 PM

Who knows? Who cares? He's in SA. Deal with it.

3RDASYSTEM
05-31-2013, 03:52 PM
Right now he has 1 and if the Spurs win it all this year, he most likely will be the main reason why. If so it would give him 2 finals mvp's which would be the 2nd most for a PG and only Magic would have more at 3. How would you view TP with another Finals mvp? Would he jump into the top 50 all time?

This is why I know the mvp of finals and rings are so so flawed in ranking players

how in the world could he jump into top 50 alltime if he's not there after 10yrs of seeing him play ball? how come they were on the fence of trading him and signing KIDD in I think summer of 01 or 02'?

PARKER could possibly be a top 20 PG alltime

I could only imagine had EDDIE JONES won 3 rings, just imagine the overhype

im just thinking about some of my fav PG's who could have a 10yr run with a allnba annually caliber big like DUNCAN

how could you not go to 5 Finals in 15yrs with so called best PF ever?

he's had a top 3 player type stretch past couple yrs out of 10 seasons, and allstar type in a few more, good player who benefited greatly from POP-MANU-DUNCAN trio

look at that trio again and replace a true top 5 PG alltime to that, 9-10 Finals out of 15, see the diff. in game/impact?

MAGIC was equal to ALCINDOR day1 and would have been equal with him had he paired with him in MIL, MAGIC was mvp caliber day1 and easily by yr3, PARKER just got mvp type recognition in 11 or 12' season

see the diff. between a alltime best to do it and a developing player who turned out to be good is laughable, its quite a wide gap between best of alltime vs. good developing players,PARKER falls in the latter category

PARKER wasn't and never will be on DUNCAN's level or they would have had a stronger run like MAGIC had with aging ALCINDOR but young WORTHY, but PARKER is still a good player, just not top 3 or 5 alltime best player at PG spot, no disrespect to him at all

this is really a caught in the now type moment

abe_froman
05-31-2013, 03:57 PM
top 50 all time-hmmm maybe,top 10 pg-most likely ....those saying top 3 pg all time are out of their damned minds

ManRam
05-31-2013, 04:00 PM

I'm not sure you even need to bring rings into the discussion to argue that TP is better than Iverson.

Frazier and Parker are about identicals without rings taken into consideration. I think I'd give Clyde the slightest of edges, mainly because of defense. If Parker gets another Finals MVP that could be a resounding tiebreaker.

It is worth noting, as a whole, Parker has played worse in the playoffs than in the regular season. Clyde was a bit more steady.

He's probably around my top 6-12 PGs all time. He's right there with Frazier, Nash, Payton, Kidd, Tiny and even Paul. It's really muddled after the top 5 (Magic, Oscare, Stockton, Cousy, Zeke in that order)

Gotta think about it. Those guys are tough for me to differentiate convincingly.

He's not close to my top 50, however.

3RDASYSTEM
05-31-2013, 04:06 PM
Who knows? Who cares? He's in SA. Deal with it.

Why you on here debating and even more comedy copy and pasting and responding to something you don't seem to care about

Of course he's in SA just like in SA they were comtemplating signing KIDD to max deal and shipping PARKER off or backup KIDD

So I guess on that note you had to deal with it also

3RDASYSTEM
05-31-2013, 04:25 PM
I'm not sure you even need to bring rings into the discussion to argue that TP is better than Iverson.

Frazier and Parker are about identicals without rings taken into consideration. I think I'd give Clyde the slightest of edges, mainly because of defense. If Parker gets another Finals MVP that could be a resounding tiebreaker.

It is worth noting, as a whole, Parker has played worse in the playoffs than in the regular season. Clyde was a bit more steady.

He's probably around my top 6-12 PGs all time. He's right there with Frazier, Nash, Payton, Kidd, Tiny and even Paul. It's really muddled after the top 5 (Magic, Oscare, Stockton, Cousy, Zeke in that order)

Gotta think about it. Those guys are tough for me to differentiate convincingly.

I see what you saying but think about this, those true top PG's alltime were never ever on the trade block first 3yrs because they were that good(the best)

PARKER was on the fence and almost traded, and to me that's not best alltime, but he has improved his j and has taken more of the load from aging DUNCAN and even aging MANU to slight extent, but LEONARD has stepped up also and even SPLITTER to certain degree, but PARKER is the engine right now, nothing wrong with that just not this top 3 player in the game or alltime, a good player who worked on his weakness and became a allstar and now all of a sudden after DUNCAN is old he is now the mvp of the league? isn't DUNCAN still playing at allnba level? after 3yrs its really nothing you can show me except do it for 10yrs plus

in 10 yrs PARKER has showed me a nice floater, some nice acrobat layups, improved scoring and j, and injuries because of style of play, signs of a good developed player

nobody second guessed a MAGIC-ZEKE-IVERSON-OSCAR-KIDD until they got old man mode

are you ranking IVERSON as a SG or combo type G? because he clearly has every bit the game and impact of MAGIC-ZEKE and COUSY and so on, he was listed a PG at G'TOWN-PHI rookie yr, so that's what he should always be in my book, not a 5'10'' SG, he's top 5 easily PG unless you rank him SG

he's easily top 5 combo G ever

b@llhog24
05-31-2013, 04:30 PM

Iverson aside, you don't have Walt in your top 50?

ManRam
05-31-2013, 04:37 PM
Iverson aside, you don't have Walt in your top 50?

Clyde's most likely 6th on my list. I haven't made a top-whatever list bigger than 10 in forever...so I don't know.

Maybe that will be my task this weekend.

JordansBulls
06-01-2013, 03:06 PM
I think Top 50 is in reach for him.

_KB24_
06-04-2013, 04:00 PM
Simple question: Where would you rank him if he were to win another ring and another Finals MVP?

He would have 4 titles and 2 Finals MVPS. Does he crack the Top 10? Would you guys value Nash's two regular season MVPs higher than his two Finals MVPs? Discuss.

ManRam
06-04-2013, 04:02 PM
http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?821249-Where-will-Tony-Parker-rank-with-another-finals-mvp&highlight=tony+parker

i'd have him somewhere between 6-10 i think

kdspurman
06-04-2013, 04:08 PM
No more TP threads LOL... It just turns negative instead of people appreciating what he's doing now.

DillyDill
06-04-2013, 04:32 PM
No more TP threads LOL... It just turns negative instead of people appreciating what he's doing now.

Negative I appreciate what he's doing and I'm a die hard laker fan....the accomplishments and accolades that Tony has received is mind boggling to me...those are extremely hard things to acquire and if he can pull it off again then top 5 PG All-Time for me.

abe_froman
06-04-2013, 04:35 PM
didnt jb make this thread a week ago,anyways somewhere in the top 10 but outside the top 5

(and please no one say top 3 again:facepalm:)

OceanSpray
06-04-2013, 04:36 PM
What really makes TP a top 5 PG? I never thought he was better than Nash or CP3. He has the rings but it's obvious he isn't the best PG.

kdspurman
06-04-2013, 04:39 PM
Negative I appreciate what he's doing and I'm a die hard laker fan....the accomplishments and accolades that Tony has received is mind boggling to me...those are extremely hard things to acquire and if he can pull it off again then top 5 PG All-Time for me.

No I understand that, but the last few TP threads I've seen haven't really gone too well. Too much it's not him, it's the system talk etc..

abe_froman
06-04-2013, 04:40 PM
What really makes TP a top 5 PG? I never thought he was better than Nash or CP3. He has the rings but it's obvious he isn't the best PG.
my guess is either homerism or lack of knowledge of pg's throughout nba history

Chronz
06-04-2013, 04:41 PM
So weird thinking of him as a 2 time Finals MVP.

Chronz
06-04-2013, 04:42 PM

What makes it obvious?

OceanSpray
06-04-2013, 04:43 PM
What makes it obvious?

CP3 is still the best PG. Steve Nash was the best PG for quite some time. At no point was Tony Parker the best PG imo. Having the luxury of TD, Manu, and Pop really made Tony Parker solidify his position.

Shlumpledink
06-04-2013, 04:45 PM

Shear unguardability in high pressure situations. He has proven a tough cover for entire playoff series' and the entire playoff season itself. It's mindboggling to consider this 6'2 point guard lives in the paint. TOny Parker can get to the rim at will, and he really revolutionized the floater, now Lebron James has even incorporated it into his game. Tony Parker deserves a lot of respect. I could see him finishing out his career in the top 5 of point guards. Surefire first ballot hall of famer.

OceanSpray
06-04-2013, 04:49 PM
Shear unguardability in high pressure situations. He has proven a tough cover for entire playoff series' and the entire playoff season itself. It's mindboggling to consider this 6'2 point guard lives in the paint. TOny Parker can get to the rim at will, and he really revolutionized the floater, now Lebron James has even incorporated it into his game. Tony Parker deserves a lot of respect. I could see him finishing out his career in the top 5 of point guards. Surefire first ballot hall of famer.

Yeah, he will finish top 5 PG because of the amount of rings. However, I really don't think he's a top 5 PG. Steve Nash, CP3, Jason Kidd, Oscar Robertson, Magic Johnson, John Stockton, Isiah Thomas, Gary Payton. Either one of those players have more than a solid case than TP does.

SteveNash
06-04-2013, 04:54 PM
Was he even in the top 10 for PGs this season?

calmunderfireKO
06-04-2013, 05:00 PM
I think Parker gets more positive attention when nobody talks about him.

Parker being a dominant PG and winning a lot is a sensitive issue to a lot of non Spurs fans. They don't like it at all.

2-ONE-5
06-04-2013, 05:03 PM
Was he even in the top 10 for PGs this season?

do u not follow basketball?

calmunderfireKO
06-04-2013, 05:06 PM
Non Spurs fans will acknowledge that Duncan is the best ever to play Power Forward. They will acknowledge that Ginobili is one of the best sixth men and role players of all time.

But they will take it their grave that Tony Parker is just not that great.

jam
06-04-2013, 09:30 PM
When I saw TP play in his first finals, I was convinced he would be a break out superstar. I thought he could average 23+ ppg and 8+ apg, peak, and 20+ ppg and 7+ apg career.

He hasn't posted anywhere near those types of numbers; instead, he's been an extremely unselfish player, giving up salary and stats in a system he respects.

A very rare, throwback old school type of a player. Not many like him these days.

jam
06-04-2013, 09:33 PM
He doesn't have the spectacular stats of the other top PG's.

But in terms of his skillset, he is an amazing player. I would take Parker over Kidd, and Nash. There's not a lot separating a lot of the top PG's. The number of rings has to play a factor in how we assess his career though.

Yeah, he will finish top 5 PG because of the amount of rings. However, I really don't think he's a top 5 PG. Steve Nash, CP3, Jason Kidd, Oscar Robertson, Magic Johnson, John Stockton, Isiah Thomas, Gary Payton. Either one of those players have more than a solid case than TP does.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-04-2013, 09:44 PM
Too hard to rank him right now all time out of all positions, but if he does win it he'll have a pretty great case of being a top 10 PG of all time.

Chronz
06-04-2013, 11:58 PM
CP3 is still the best PG. Steve Nash was the best PG for quite some time. At no point was Tony Parker the best PG imo. Having the luxury of TD, Manu, and Pop really made Tony Parker solidify his position.
Im not a fan of punishing players for their supporting cast. Is he suppose to apologize for having a stable environment and smart management?

What exactly would have happened to TP without those guys? Less titles more stats? Doesn't that hold true for a vast majority of players?

Bravo95
06-05-2013, 12:02 AM
Already a Top 20 PG all time, and he's never played better in a postseason than this one so far. With a strong finish, he might be Top 15... which is no disrespect for a guy who is still in his prime and plenty of time to add to his case.

Chronz
06-05-2013, 12:07 AM
When I saw TP play in his first finals, I was convinced he would be a break out superstar. I thought he could average 23+ ppg and 8+ apg, peak, and 20+ ppg and 7+ apg career.

He hasn't posted anywhere near those types of numbers; instead, he's been an extremely unselfish player, giving up salary and stats in a system he respects.

A very rare, throwback old school type of a player. Not many like him these days.

Hes putting up monster stats during this regular season + playoffs

Non Spurs fans will acknowledge that Duncan is the best ever to play Power Forward. They will acknowledge that Ginobili is one of the best sixth men and role players of all time.

But they will take it their grave that Tony Parker is just not that great.

Interesting take

sfattahian
06-05-2013, 12:37 AM
that would put him in the top-10 point guards of all-time conversation. that'd be numerous titles, and multiple finals mvp's. That's 1st ballot HOF and possibly top-10 point guards of all-time.

JordansBulls
06-05-2013, 12:52 AM
Already a Top 20 PG all time, and he's never played better in a postseason than this one so far. With a strong finish, he might be Top 15... which is no disrespect for a guy who is still in his prime and plenty of time to add to his case.

Top 20 doesn't mean much as a PG i would say top 10 means more.

Raps18-19 Champ
06-05-2013, 12:54 AM
Top 10ish PG.

Bravo95
06-05-2013, 01:23 AM
I said he has time to add to his case. It's showing respect for someone who has never been considered the best active PG, even after advanced metrics changed how many players are viewed.

JordansBulls
06-05-2013, 01:33 AM
I said he has time to add to his case. It's showing respect for someone who has never been considered the best active PG, even after advanced metrics changed how many players are viewed.i understand what you mean but he had already been in league for 10 years.

Bravo95
06-05-2013, 02:04 AM
i understand what you mean but he had already been in league for 10 years.
Some of the greatest PGs were kicking *** in their mid-30s and beyond, while others simply had stronger peaks. I believe he's already a HOF'er, and being only 31 he has a great opportunity to join the legendary floor generals someday.

BklynKnicks3
06-05-2013, 06:36 PM
I dont think TP is top 15 all time or top 5 right now. Many pgs would have 2 rings if they played there whole career with Tim duncan who already won a chip before tp got there. People really forget to way situations its disgusting. When u are a pg like a Kyrie Irving u are drafted number 1 by a garbage team and that whole teams future is on ur back obv its more then likely that u will not win as much the franchise is put on ur back. When a guy like a parker is picked 29th and just added to a already contending team. I had the same argument in football with caprinick and luck. How many guys wont win 13 games with the 49ers