PDA

View Full Version : Which is a better matchup for Miami, Pacers or Spurs?

OceanSpray
05-30-2013, 11:08 PM
Lots of fellow PSD members believe that Miami will get destroyed by Spurs if they are struggling like this against the Pacers. I don't think Miami will have a tougher time with Spurs. Roy Hibbert and David West poses more of a threat against Tim Duncan. Who's guarding LeBron James? Who's guarding Wade? Spurs just don't have the arsenal like Pacers have. What do you think?

4milesperday
05-30-2013, 11:17 PM
Pacers...Spurs are a jump shooting team. You only have to worry about out-scoring them. They dont have much of a defense

ManRam
05-30-2013, 11:25 PM
I think the Pacers are a much more difficult matchup.

Better defensively, more devastating size, and they have guys who can defend Wade and LeBron incredibly well.

The Spurs have more depth and are a better shooting team, but their size isn't going to be as much of a problem, they don't defend as well and they don't have elite defenders to put on LeBron. Although, I am eager to see what Kawhi can do.

herewegocubbies
05-30-2013, 11:47 PM
Pacers and Memphis are/were the biggest threat to the Heat.

lakerboy
05-30-2013, 11:50 PM
The Spurs are a worse match up.

T-mac will destroy Lebron

justinnum1
05-30-2013, 11:51 PM
Spurs are going to try and outscore the heat, good luck.

kjoke
05-30-2013, 11:53 PM
Spurs will play smart, do lots of pick and rolls, get some open threes and will be ready because of Pop. But Indy is the better matchup

herewegocubbies
05-30-2013, 11:54 PM
The Spurs are a worse match up.

T-mac will destroy Lebron

Forgot about that, I retract my previous post.

Jahari Kavi
05-31-2013, 12:46 AM
They matchup well with the Spurs...Duncan isn't as physically imposing as Hibbert....West > Splitter....I think Cole and Bron can slow down Parker some....and if they go to small ball I think the Spurs age will get exposed...

OceanSpray
05-31-2013, 12:55 AM
Parker will be stopped. James has no one to guard that requires his attention. It's not like Pacers where James has to rotate to West, Stephenson, Hibbert, and George. Against the Spurs, he only has to worry about Parker.

Joshtd1
05-31-2013, 12:59 AM
We'll see in the finals...assuming Miami still holds on.

Would hope Pop doesn't have terrible mental lapses the way Vogel has had in this series at times, which is possibly our biggest advantage.

And for the person who said the Spurs don't have a good D..they've actually had a pretty quietly good defensive season. Still think our front line can out play theirs, specially if Bosh continues his bad play, the way they handled Memphis's bigs. No one has an answer for LBJ, he's just too good..the same way I don't think they have an answer for Parker.

I personally think it will come down to who's role players play better honestly.

OceanSpray
05-31-2013, 01:03 AM
We'll see in the finals...assuming Miami still holds on.

Would hope Pop doesn't have terrible mental lapses the way Vogel has had in this series at times, which is possibly our biggest advantage.

And for the person who said the Spurs don't have a good D..they've actually had a pretty quietly good defensive season. Still think our front line can out play theirs, specially if Bosh continues his bad play, the way they handled Memphis's bigs. No one has an answer for LBJ, he's just too good..the same way I don't think they have an answer for Parker.

I personally think it will come down to who's role players play better honestly.

I agree with the coaching aspect but Spurs don't have enough weapons to defeat Miami. Pacers have multiple guys to go to. If you shut Parker down, SAS struggles. And contrary to what SAS may believe, James will probably stop him if it gets out of hand. I don't see anyone other than Duncan that requires the attention of LeBron.

Swashcuff
05-31-2013, 01:09 AM
Whoever is guarding Wade is better than Stephenson and they have Ducnan behind them as well.

OceanSpray
05-31-2013, 01:12 AM
Whoever is guarding Wade is better than Stephenson and they have Ducnan behind them as well.

Nah, Wade will slip by Spurs. Pacers aren't afraid to get dirty and that's why Miami always has issues putting them away.

Joshtd1
05-31-2013, 01:13 AM
I agree with the coaching aspect but Spurs don't have enough weapons to defeat Miami. Pacers have multiple guys to go to. If you shut Parker down, SAS struggles. And contrary to what SAS may believe, James will probably stop him if it gets out of hand. I don't see anyone other than Duncan that requires the attention of LeBron.

The Spurs were 4th in the league in total offense in terms of scoring, and 3rd in postseason so it's easier said then done to shut us down. James is gonna constantly guard Parker getting hit with 3-4 screens per possession? Sure, if he wants to get worn out. Manu is still capable of scoring, better then any wing on Miami not named LeBron or Wade and he still possesses problems for the opponent with his passing. Spurs bigs are better then the Heat bigs. If anything..I feel if LeBron isn't dominating, the Heat don't have enough scoring to win. They are built similar, they require big games from their stars, and 3 pt shooting from their role players...which as I mentioned, will be the key in this series to me. Whoever role players play better (Haslem/Cole/Battier/Allen/Bird) or (Splitter/Green/Diaw/Bonner)

Teeboy1487
05-31-2013, 01:14 AM
Spurs are going to try and outscore the heat, good luck.

I agree. I think the Pacers are a worse matchup for the Heat than the Spurs. Parker would not be effective in a series with the Heat because of the way the Heat trap the pick and rolls. He would or will struggle the whole series. Duncan is still amazing, but he is a far-cry from Prime Duncan. He would have to dominate the series inorder for the Spurs to have a chance. The Spurs are a perimeter team, but no team in the league can out perimeter the Heat. Your only chance is the beat them inside with size, defense, and shooting lights out.

Joshtd1
05-31-2013, 01:24 AM
Not saying the Spurs will win, though I feel we have a very good chance. Just surprised most people so far are acting like we don't.

IversonIsKrazy
05-31-2013, 01:28 AM
For those who keep saying Parker will be stopped, stop. It's ridiculous to hear. He is the MOST efficient PG in the league. The guy will go thru 4 screens before he even gets the ball, then have 2 P&R's. It's not like DRose & Bulls when you trap Rose and no one can create. Trap Parker, who you gonna leave open? Duncan? Manu? Kawhi? The most efficient offense, not to mention POPOVICH. Give me Spurs anyday.

Indy was always a team that can extend a series with Heat, but not beat them. If there's any team that can beat Miami, it's Spurs. Should've been last years finals, but it will be this years, we'll see who the real champs are (Spurs).

OceanSpray
05-31-2013, 01:32 AM
For those who keep saying Parker will be stopped, stop. It's ridiculous to hear. He is the MOST efficient PG in the league. The guy will go thru 4 screens before he even gets the ball, then have 2 P&R's. It's not like DRose & Bulls when you trap Rose and no one can create. Trap Parker, who you gonna leave open? Duncan? Manu? Kawhi? The most efficient offense, not to mention POPOVICH. Give me Spurs anyday.

Indy was always a team that can extend a series with Heat, but not beat them. If there's any team that can beat Miami, it's Spurs. Should've been last years finals, but it will be this years, we'll see who the real champs are (Spurs).

Are you telling me James can't shut down Parker? Parker plays the worst against the Heat. Not saying Heat will beat Spurs, let alone beat Pacers. Just saying that Heat have a tougher time beating Pacers than Spurs. Tim Duncan won't stop James from driving at him. Roy Hibbert and David West can.

odiz
05-31-2013, 01:35 AM
The team without Lebron James is the team you want to play.

JC_
05-31-2013, 01:46 AM
I think Pacers are the harder matchup because of the bigs which does not mean "Miami will kick the Spurs ***". It just means that the Pacers have matchups that really hurt the Heat. Spurs are obviously a great team but matchup wise they aren't as scary. If the Heat move on, they won't have to exert so much energy trying to contain the Spurs bigs.

Swashcuff
05-31-2013, 02:12 AM
Nah, Wade will slip by Spurs. Pacers aren't afraid to get dirty and that's why Miami always has issues putting them away.

Do you have a crystal ball by chance? Its not the Pacers dirty play that's causing Wade to play this way, its not Wades 1st walk in the park you know that he's faced this before. Dude just isn't healthy and needs to get right before he can return to his old ways. No slipping by anyone here Wade is too good to be kept in check by the Pacers (or any team) like this. Something is wrong with him not the opposing man.

JEDean89
05-31-2013, 02:24 AM
i got the spurs beating the heat in 6. miami never elevated to that 5th gear they were in last postseason. the spurs are a complete team, the heat are lebron james and a ton of shooters.

Joshtd1
05-31-2013, 03:52 AM
Are you telling me James can't shut down Parker? Parker plays the worst against the Heat. Not saying Heat will beat Spurs, let alone beat Pacers. Just saying that Heat have a tougher time beating Pacers than Spurs. Tim Duncan won't stop James from driving at him. Roy Hibbert and David West can.

He couldn't shut him down when they played the Spurs in 07..TP is even better now then he was, and our offense is a lot different too. Again if James is willing to go through at least 3-4 screens every possession and chase him around, and can do it..then he does it. However it will wear him out big time, and I highly doubt Spoelstra goes with that much if at all.

Why can't Duncan, the guy who averaged more blocks and is just as good if not a better defender than Hibbert prevent him from getting to the rim? And really..David West? Splitter is a better defender than him, and better rim protector as well.

justinnum1
05-31-2013, 07:37 AM
I agree. I think the Pacers are a worse matchup for the Heat than the Spurs. Parker would not be effective in a series with the Heat because of the way the Heat trap the pick and rolls. He would or will struggle the whole series. Duncan is still amazing, but he is a far-cry from Prime Duncan. He would have to dominate the series inorder for the Spurs to have a chance. The Spurs are a perimeter team, but no team in the league can out perimeter the Heat. Your only chance is the beat them inside with size, defense, and shooting lights out.

Don;'t get me wrong, they can certainly do all those things, but they are not nearly as dominant inside as indy. Spurs strength is their ability to find the open man with extra passes, which can really punish miami with their agressive trapping and doubles. I also think miami is going to have a much easier time scoring and playing to their identity vs the spurs.

kdspurman
05-31-2013, 07:53 AM
People don't realize the Spurs starting unit ranked as the #1 defensive unit in the league, and they've been the best defensive team in the playoffs thus far. So if anyone thinks the Spurs will just try and "outscore" the heat, that's completely inaccurate. These Spurs focus on the defensive end first. Their offense is just so efficient, that teams have trouble stopping them.

Can Kawhi shut down Lebron? No... No one can. But he can also expend all his energy on that end unlike George because they don't rely on him too heavily on the offensive end. If he gets into foul trouble, well then that spells trouble.

Danny Green can stay with Wade. The way Wade has looked, the biggest thing for Green is to not bite on his pump fakes and get in foul trouble. And if he does, then Manu will have that tasks, and frankly those 2 are both moving at similar speed these days.

On the other end, Miami has had a real tough time guarding pick and rolls, and defending the roll man. The Spurs run more P&R's than anyone, and Splitter rolls to the basket as good as anyone. What I do know, is Pop in every series has coached masterfully. Every team they faced, they took away what the opposing team wanted to do and what they're comfortable doing. The Heat are not immune to that, contrary to popular belief.

And Tim Duncan is not Roy Hibbert, but after going up against Dwight, Bogut, & Gasol, suddenly facing maybe Bosh will really open up options for him to go to work in the post again.

Oh, and I'm really looking forward to seeing Parker get "shut down". He was supposed to be "shut down" by Tony Allen & Mike Conley too.

ziglur
05-31-2013, 08:12 AM
What do I think? I think non of this matters. What matters is how they have it fixed. Its obvious whats going on, one game the Pacers cant do anything and then they can do everything. If they have it fixed for Duncan and his Coach to win one more title , they will win. I think it may come put this way. But if it is on the level I think the Spurs are better. Parker will be the difference. Pacers have no point guard and the one they have is SLOW.

ManRam
05-31-2013, 10:02 AM

There are arguments to be made that Indy is a tougher match up than SAS (and I think they are), but Indy having "more firepower" is not one of them. Indy was one of the worst offensive teams in the playoffs. SAS is one of the best.

After TP they might not have guys you look at as firepower, but collectively they score a tone. Only the Heat have a better offense in the playoffs thus far.

I will admit that I am underselling their individual defenders, but I just don't think Parker is as good defensively as Hill, Manu/Neal/Green as good as Stephenson, Kawhi as good as George or Duncan as much as Hibbert. The last one might sound blasphemous, but Duncan isn't going to terrify the Heat stars as much as Duncan will.

Teeboy1487
05-31-2013, 11:37 AM
I've seen the Spurs in all their championships. The Heat would be their toughest opponent by far. Also, it would be the first time the Spurs would not have homecourt in the Finals if the Heat ends up their opponent.

JordansBulls
05-31-2013, 11:43 AM
Difference between Spurs and Pacers is the Spurs have the experience especially on the highest stage. Both teams in Miami and San Antonio have 2 guys who have won finals mvp's as well and both teams have guys who have won multiple league mvp's as well.

OceanSpray
05-31-2013, 11:52 AM
Who cares what the Spurs have done all season? We're talking matchups. Pacers have more weapons to attack Miami with. Spurs, if it isn't Parker or Duncan, who's it going to be?

kdspurman
05-31-2013, 11:56 AM
Who cares what the Spurs have done all season? We're talking matchups. Pacers have more weapons to attack Miami with. Spurs, if it isn't Parker or Duncan, who's it going to be?

And if it's not Lebron, who's it going to be for Miami? Wade is not himself, and Bosh is a spot up shooter these days. It works both ways.

Both teams have a full arsenal of shooters & role players who are vital to their teams success.

OceanSpray
05-31-2013, 12:02 PM
And if it's not Lebron, who's it going to be for Miami? Wade is not himself, and Bosh is a spot up shooter these days. It works both ways.

Both teams have a full arsenal of shooters & role players who are vital to their teams success.

No one is guarding LeBron from the Spurs. George is one of the best defenders as well. Pacers play physical and that's why Miami has a tough time putting them away. Spurs aren't as physical and rely on skill to win. I don't see Wade playing any worse than he has against the Spurs. Driving to the paint will be much easier for him.

todu82
05-31-2013, 12:12 PM
The Spurs. This could be their last hurrah, you know they're going to be giving it their all if Miami reaches the finals.

kdspurman
05-31-2013, 12:13 PM
No one is guarding LeBron from the Spurs. George is one of the best defenders as well. Pacers play physical and that's why Miami has a tough time putting them away. Spurs aren't as physical and rely on skill to win. I don't see Wade playing any worse than he has against the Spurs. Driving to the paint will be much easier for him.

Same can be said for Parker. Allen is arguably the best perimeter defender in the game and look what he did not only against him, but Conley & finishing around Z-Bo and Gasol. Driving to the paint & finishing will be easier for Parker too. It goes 2 ways man, but you can keep discounting the Spurs if you'd like. Be my guest

NoahH
05-31-2013, 12:28 PM
I think the Pacers are a much more difficult matchup.

Better defensively, more devastating size, and they have guys who can defend Wade and LeBron incredibly well.

The Spurs have more depth and are a better shooting team, but their size isn't going to be as much of a problem, they don't defend as well and they don't have elite defenders to put on LeBron. Although, I am eager to see what Kawhi can do.

Agreed.

Jdawg
05-31-2013, 01:06 PM
I am laughing my *** off at the "reasons" being put forward at why the Spurs are a better match-up for the Heat than the Pacers.

I love George Hill but he is no true point guard. The Pacers have played the whole series without a PG on the floor. It's very obvious that if they were actually able to run their offense sets consistently then they would score at will against the Heat. Post entry pass anyone? Terrible passing on the Pacers team all around.

The Spurs have the BEST front court in the NBA this year. They took that title first from Howard and Gasol after sweeping them, and then Zbo and Marc after sweeping them as well. Duncan and Splitter are two 7 footers who protect the rim extremely well. Splitter is the BEST pick and roll defending big man in the game right now. Offensively, they have more options than just throwing the ball down in the post which has been the only option for Hibbert and West to get their offense. This is due to the fact that the Pacers don't execute PnR offense very well which goes back to their inferior passing abilities across the entire roster.

In short, the Spurs have similar if not better size (Counting Splitter's size advantage over West) , they have far superior passing ability (I think Diaw will also play a huge role in this series with his passing ability) than the Pacers which is huge against a team like the Heat, they have far superior shooting (they won't be putting a Sam Young out there) and they have better coaching/experience. So the Spurs are a tougher match-up for the Heat than the Pacers.

PS- Leonard is a better defender than Paul George. Yes I went there. He's more focused, better instincts and doesn't have to worry about anything other than defending Lebron. That game winning layup Bron made in Game 1? That doesn't happen if Leonard is out there.

OceanSpray
05-31-2013, 01:16 PM
Same can be said for Parker. Allen is arguably the best perimeter defender in the game and look what he did not only against him, but Conley & finishing around Z-Bo and Gasol. Driving to the paint & finishing will be easier for Parker too. It goes 2 ways man, but you can keep discounting the Spurs if you'd like. Be my guest

Please don't compare James with Parker. One can be stopped, the other can't.

OceanSpray
05-31-2013, 01:18 PM
I am laughing my *** off at the "reasons" being put forward at why the Spurs are a better match-up for the Heat than the Pacers.

I love George Hill but he is no true point guard. The Pacers have played the whole series without a PG on the floor. It's very obvious that if they were actually able to run their offense sets consistently then they would score at will against the Heat. Post entry pass anyone? Terrible passing on the Pacers team all around.

The Spurs have the BEST front court in the NBA this year. They took that title first from Howard and Gasol after sweeping them, and then Zbo and Marc after sweeping them as well. Duncan and Splitter are two 7 footers who protect the rim extremely well. Splitter is the BEST pick and roll defending big man in the game right now. Offensively, they have more options than just throwing the ball down in the post which has been the only option for Hibbert and West to get their offense. This is due to the fact that the Pacers don't execute PnR offense very well which goes back to their inferior passing abilities across the entire roster.

In short, the Spurs have similar if not better size (Counting Splitter's size advantage over West) , they have far superior passing ability (I think Diaw will also play a huge role in this series with his passing ability) than the Pacers which is huge against a team like the Heat, they have far superior shooting (they won't be putting a Sam Young out there) and they have better coaching/experience. So the Spurs are a tougher match-up for the Heat than the Pacers.

PS- Leonard is a better defender than Paul George. Yes I went there. He's more focused, better instincts and doesn't have to worry about anything other than defending Lebron. That game winning layup Bron made in Game 1? That doesn't happen if Leonard is out there.

Loool, Leonard better than George at defending already tells me you're delusional. It doesn't matter about what Tim Duncan has done against everyone else. Matchup wise, Pacers and Grizzlies are huge trouble for Miami.

The Flash
05-31-2013, 01:23 PM
I would be worried about Tony Parker and their ball movement .

JordansBulls
05-31-2013, 01:25 PM

Explain??? Because Lebron has had a few series where he has shot less than 40% from the field and averaging less than his career ppg or even averaged less than 20 ppg for a series. I would consider that being stopped.

If you mean Parker is easily more able to be contained than Lebron then yes I agree.

MikefromMars
05-31-2013, 01:29 PM
Unfortunately, one thing is incredibly clear after reading this entire thread. A considerable majority of the posters commenting haven't actual watched the Spurs play enough to have an educated opinion. Admit it. It's obvious.

Spurs have more players/ways to score than Indiana, even outside of Parker
The Spurs bigs outplayed the Grizzlies and the Lakers... Splitter/Diaw/Bonner are all capable of scoring in double digits and Duncan is still Duncan. Don't fool yourself into thinking they can't play ball in the post.
Spurs defense is still top-notch and they do have elite defenders.

I am not here to say the Spurs will dominate the Heat, but SA is a better ball club and a bigger threat than Indiana... And please don't underestimate the impact of a Hall-of-Fame coach.

Jdawg
05-31-2013, 01:38 PM
Unfortunately, one thing is incredibly clear after reading this entire thread. A considerable majority of the posters commenting haven't actual watched the Spurs play enough to have an educated opinion. Admit it. It's obvious.

The Spurs bigs outplayed the Grizzlies and the Lakers... Splitter/Diaw/Bonner are all capable of scoring in double digits and Duncan is still Duncan. Don't fool yourself into thinking they can't play ball in the post.

I am not here to say the Spurs will dominate the Heat, but SA is a better ball club and a bigger threat than Indiana... And please don't underestimate the impact of a Hall-of-Fame coach.

Agreed 100%

It will be a good series and it's tough to say if LBJ can be denied but the Spurs are without a doubt a bigger threat to the Heat than the Pacers.

ManRam
05-31-2013, 01:39 PM

A few things I disagree about.

1. The Spurs do not have the best front court in the NBA. Just because their TEAM beat two better front courts doesn't magically make their front court superior to those. They get the best production of any team from the center spot, I'll admit that, but their PF production this year has been in the bottom third (if you go by net PER differential). The Pacers get more production from the PF spot than just about any team, and even as great as Duncan is, I can't see him having as big of an impact against the Heat as Hibbert did. Duncan and Splitter are big, but I've NEVER seen Wade and LeBron as afraid to attack a center as they were afraid to attack Hibbert. I don't think the Spurs will have an equal advantage up front as the Pacers did.

2. They don't have better size. West is stronger than anyone on the Spurs, and he bullied Bosh with it. Bosh can handle size, but the brute strength is what gets him. Hibbert is bigger and stronger than anyone on the Spurs as well. Mahinmi and Hansbrough have better size than Bonner and Diaw. Splitter may be taller than West (2 inches) but West is much stronger. Even if you count that as an advantage for the Spurs in terms of size/strength, they lose out in Hibbert v Duncan, and in the bench.

3. Kawhi is not a better defender than George. I'd be interested in you backing that up with anything besides "focus" and "instincts", because I don't think the numbers back it up. And the last sentence...you can't prove that :laugh2:

I respect Green, Leonard and Duncan's defensive abilities a ton, I just think that it's not as huge of a mismatch defensively as what Indy could throw out there. San Antonio's defense has been great in the playoffs, but Indy's was a bit more impressive all season long.

The Hibbert factor really is all it is for me. Duncan and Splitter are great. Pops is tremendous. But I have never, at least not since they've been together, seen Wade and LeBron that afraid of a big man before. Hibbert provided the single biggest individual mismatch we've seen all playoffs long, and as great as Duncan is, he's not going to be able to match that.

Offensively the Spurs are vastly superior...and that's where they catch up big time. But I just don't think you beat the Heat by out-scoring them. You beat them by bullying them defensively, running them off the three point line and dominating the glass. I think Indy does all three (especially the second one) better than the Spurs.

kdspurman
05-31-2013, 01:49 PM

Lebron is unstoppable? Didn't look unstoppable against Chicago, and even against Indy his numbers are not "Lebron-Like" or "super human-like" numbers.

I realize you're a new found Lebron/Heat fan but the NBA does not work the way you think it does.

ManRam
05-31-2013, 01:52 PM
I'm rambling a bit...I'll just sum it up in one sentence

Because I think that defense on LeBron and protecting the paint are the two most crucial things in order to be the Heat, Paul George and especially Roy Hibbert are why I think Indy is a tougher matchup.

kdspurman
05-31-2013, 01:54 PM
It's amazing how many times I keep seeing people say the Spurs will have to out score Miami to win, disregarding their defense and thinking this team relies solely on offense. I guess people will be "caught off guard" yet again lol

ManRam
05-31-2013, 01:58 PM
Lebron is unstoppable? Didn't look unstoppable against Chicago, and even against Indy his numbers are not "Lebron-Like" or "super human-like" numbers.

I realize you're a new found Lebron/Heat fan but the NBA does not work the way you think it does.

I think Bulls did the best job you could ever expect against LeBron, and the Pacers almost got close. I think both can do a better job than SAS.

Even against the Bulls, which I think was his worst effort in a series ever (besides Dallas) and certainly the worst since Dallas, he managed 24-8-7 on 7/16 shooting. If that's "stopping" him, which I think it was, well...he might actually be unstoppable.

Against Indy he's 28-5-7 on 11/21 shooting (52%/43%/67%).

I think he gets his against the Spurs. And traditionally, he does great against them.

ManRam
05-31-2013, 01:59 PM
It's amazing how many times I keep seeing people say the Spurs will have to out score Miami to win, disregarding their defense and thinking this team relies solely on offense. I guess people will be "caught off guard" yet again lol

People get how SAS's defense has been great. It's about match ups though. Strictly defensively, do you think they match up better against the Heat than the Pacers did?

Jdawg
05-31-2013, 02:07 PM
A few things I disagree about.

1. The Spurs do not have the best front court in the NBA. Just because their TEAM beat two better front courts doesn't magically make their front court superior to those. They get the best production of any team from the center spot, I'll admit that, but their PF production this year has been in the bottom third (if you go by net PER differential). The Pacers get more production from the PF spot than just about any team, and even as great as Duncan is, I can't see him having as big of an impact against the Heat as Hibbert did. Duncan and Splitter are big, but I've NEVER seen Wade and LeBron as afraid to attack a center as they were afraid to attack Hibbert. I don't think the Spurs will have an equal advantage up front as the Pacers did.

2. They don't have better size. West is stronger than anyone on the Spurs, and he bullied Bosh with it. Bosh can handle size, but the brute strength is what gets him. Hibbert is bigger and stronger than anyone on the Spurs as well. Mahinmi and Hansbrough have better size than Bonner and Diaw. Splitter may be taller than West (2 inches) but West is much stronger. Even if you count that as an advantage for the Spurs in terms of size/strength, they lose out in Hibbert v Duncan, and in the bench.

3. Kawhi is not a better defender than George. I'd be interested in you backing that up with anything besides "focus" and "instincts", because I don't think the numbers back it up. And the last sentence...you can't prove that :laugh2:

Ok regarding your three things-

1. When you judge them based on how they performed against the two front courts that many called "the best in the NBA" then you cannot say they are not in the discussion for the best starting front court. You got the 1st team All NBA Center in Duncan and I think many people are underestimating Splitter's importance to this team. So regardless, I will grant you that they may not be the BEST but they are certainly among the best. No?

2. West is strong but he's so stupid. And his team can't pass. So offensively, maybe West's "size which we're including strength in that" is superior but Splitter's length is more beneficial on the defensive side. He may not be as strong as West in order to bully anyone but he can hold his own. Besides, it's a moot point on the offense side because our offense isn't based on that at all as we will PnR everyone to death. I don't know if it's fair to include the Pacers bench in the discussion because they play so little but if we must I do think Diaw will have a really important role in this series. His size (strength, weight) will PUNISH Battier if they try that match-up on him. He's more offensively aware than West and no way we let the Heat get away with playing Battier at the 4 like they have done so much against West and the Pacers.

3. I have watched every game of Leonard's career and I feel he is an elite defender. I can't say that I have watched Paul George very much other than these playoffs and our two games vs. him this year. I must admit I am a Leonard Lover and I may not be rational in comparing him to other players. So we can throw this point out if you like. Even not including this point, I think it's still obvious that the Spurs present a tougher match-up.

mngopher35
05-31-2013, 02:09 PM
I think that if we are just talking about matchups, the pacers are a worse matchup for the heat. Size/strength of their frontcourt matched with Paul George to limit Lebron. Now just because they matchup better imo, doesn't mean I think it would be an easier series to play the spurs. The spurs are a more talented, veteran team to me. So while they might not have as many matchup advantages they are still more skilled. If miami should make the finals I think it could be a great series.

Jdawg
05-31-2013, 02:15 PM
I'm rambling a bit...I'll just sum it up in one sentence

Because I think that defense on LeBron and protecting the paint are the two most crucial things in order to be the Heat, Paul George and especially Roy Hibbert are why I think Indy is a tougher matchup.

So your two most crucial things.. defense on Lebron- Leonard will have no other task than guarding him. We won't ask him to score, we won't ask him to help. He will sit when Lebron sits, and he will play when Lebron plays. He will have the greatest coach and scouts in his ear giving him the very best gameplan and he will not deviate from that gameplan for even 1 play. At the very worse, he will do just as good as George.

Your 2nd thing- rim protection, Duncan + Splitter > Hibbert. No way that can be argued. 2 seven footers are greater than 1. Law of physics.

kdspurman
05-31-2013, 02:16 PM
People get how SAS's defense has been great. It's about match ups though. Strictly defensively, do you think they match up better against the Heat than the Pacers did?

I think their team defense, and whatever Pop's game-plan is to "take away" from Miami will be implemented and can certainly impact what the Heat wants to do. It could be a different strategy as what Indy is doing, but does that mean it'll be less effective? Yes personnel is important, but when you have Pop who I've seen make some questionable decisions the past few years has been terrific this post season with his adjustments, well that's important too.

Ultimately, the Spurs have been the best defensive unit this post season. And while they don't provide that toughness that everyone keeps bringing up for Indy, it surely doesn't make them the lesser defensive team. It's that same toughness and sometimes low IQ play that cause Stephenson or George to get into foul trouble. Spurs generally do a good job of defending without fouling, and it's been that way all year.

On the other end, when Miami pressures Indy's guards, I don't see that as an issue for the Spurs either. They don't panic with the ball, and they won't allow that crazy kind of run we saw from Lebron last night where it's turnover, turnover, forced/rushed shot from Indy, fast break, etc...

I think people are selling the Spurs short here. They play just as good defense as Indy (and better this post season) and have a much better offense, but somehow they have less a chance than Indy does? I get that Hibbert is a big dude and changes a ton of shots, and obviously TD can't elevate like he used to. But that a lone should not be the biggest reason the Spurs don't have as good a shot as Indy. Cause one thing is for sure, that Miami defense will be working a lot hard than they are now (mainly the perimeter guys) which can effect how aggressive they are on offense.

D-Leethal
05-31-2013, 02:25 PM
I understand the Spurs beat the Grizzlies, but you can't sit here and act like Kawhai Leonard, Danny Green and Tony Parker were doing anything to check Zbo and Gasol frontcourt.

Spurs frontcourt annihilated the Grizz frontcourt. If we were talking backcourts I would agree because it takes a team effort from the guards and the bigs to stop penetration from the perimeter. But unless your double teaming or switching all over the place - frontcourt checks the opposing frontcourt. Timmy and Splitter dominated that frontcourt matchup. They are going to have a field day with Miami's frontcourt. Roy Hibbert looks like the second coming of Jesus vs them, Duncan is gonna party like its 2003 again.

I think Spurs are a tougher matchup. They cause the same type of problems with the size and skills of their bigs, and they have kryptonite #2 for Miami - stellar PG play compared to Indiana who's PG play is awful. Its not like Paul George is lightyears ahead of Kawhai defensively. And Spurs have so much more firepower on the other end on top of the matchup problems. Indy has matchup problems in their favor but zero firepower to capitalize on the opportunities they get. When Miami turned up the D they couldn't even get the ball up court or make an entry pass. Spurs aren't going to struggle with Miami's pressure IMO. I think they will make Miami pay if they start pressing full and double teaming Parker - they are too savvy to get owned like that.

You think the Spurs will turn it over a zillion times and miss about 8-10 point blank layups like Indy did? I hoenstly don't see how anyone can say Indiana. Duncan might not be 7'2, but hes 7'0 and every bit as good defensively, while actually being more mobile to help and recover. Parker and Ginobili are way better than any perimeter threat Indy throws out there, including the erratic Paul George. They have way better shooters, their bigs are more skilled. This shouldn't even be debatable to be honest.

naps
05-31-2013, 02:43 PM
Miami has no one to stop Tony Parker. The guy has been phenomenal. Indiana is a tougher matchup but Spurs are a very smart team.

ghettosean
05-31-2013, 02:46 PM
I think their team defense, and whatever Pop's game-plan is to "take away" from Miami will be implemented and can certainly impact what the Heat wants to do. It could be a different strategy as what Indy is doing, but does that mean it'll be less effective? Yes personnel is important, but when you have Pop who I've seen make some questionable decisions the past few years has been terrific this post season with his adjustments, well that's important too.

Ultimately, the Spurs have been the best defensive unit this post season. And while they don't provide that toughness that everyone keeps bringing up for Indy, it surely doesn't make them the lesser defensive team. It's that same toughness and sometimes low IQ play that cause Stephenson or George to get into foul trouble. Spurs generally do a good job of defending without fouling, and it's been that way all year.

On the other end, when Miami pressures Indy's guards, I don't see that as an issue for the Spurs either. They don't panic with the ball, and they won't allow that crazy kind of run we saw from Lebron last night where it's turnover, turnover, forced/rushed shot from Indy, fast break, etc...

I think people are selling the Spurs short here. They play just as good defense as Indy (and better this post season) and have a much better offense, but somehow they have less a chance than Indy does? I get that Hibbert is a big dude and changes a ton of shots, and obviously TD can't elevate like he used to. But that a lone should not be the biggest reason the Spurs don't have as good a shot as Indy. Cause one thing is for sure, that Miami defense will be working a lot hard than they are now (mainly the perimeter guys) which can effect how aggressive they are on offense.

I understand the Spurs beat the Grizzlies, but you can't sit here and act like Kawhai Leonard, Danny Green and Tony Parker were doing anything to check Zbo and Gasol frontcourt.

Spurs frontcourt annihilated the Grizz frontcourt. If we were talking backcourts I would agree because it takes a team effort from the guards and the bigs to stop penetration from the perimeter. But unless your double teaming or switching all over the place - frontcourt checks the opposing frontcourt. Timmy and Splitter dominated that frontcourt matchup. They are going to have a field day with Miami's frontcourt. Roy Hibbert looks like the second coming of Jesus vs them, Duncan is gonna party like its 2003 again.

I think Spurs are a tougher matchup. They cause the same type of problems with the size and skills of their bigs, and they have kryptonite #2 for Miami - stellar PG play compared to Indiana who's PG play is awful. Its not like Paul George is lightyears ahead of Kawhai defensively. And Spurs have so much more firepower on the other end on top of the matchup problems. Indy has matchup problems in their favor but zero firepower to capitalize on the opportunities they get. When Miami turned up the D they couldn't even get the ball up court or make an entry pass. Spurs aren't going to struggle with Miami's pressure IMO. I think they will make Miami pay if they start pressing full and double teaming Parker - they are too savvy to get owned like that.

You think the Spurs will turn it over a zillion times and miss about 8-10 point blank layups like Indy did? I hoenstly don't see how anyone can say Indiana. Duncan might not be 7'2, but hes 7'0 and every bit as good defensively, while actually being more mobile to help and recover. Parker and Ginobili are way better than any perimeter threat Indy throws out there, including the erratic Paul George. They have way better shooters, their bigs are more skilled. This shouldn't even be debatable to be honest.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Great posts here!!! The bolded almost made me fall off my chair but I agree with both posts and the spurs are completely being undersold like every ****ing year but what else is new. They will pose the greatest challenge to the heat.

Zackthesack
05-31-2013, 02:48 PM
Lots of fellow PSD members believe that Miami will get destroyed by Spurs if they are struggling like this against the Pacers. I don't think Miami will have a tougher time with Spurs. Roy Hibbert and David West poses more of a threat against Tim Duncan. Who's guarding LeBron James? Who's guarding Wade? Spurs just don't have the arsenal like Pacers have. What do you think?

Who going to guard Wade? What the hell has Wade done in these playoffs to suggest he needs guarding. People act like The Heat are some stacked team, they are no different than the Cavs at this point. Lebron carrying everyone on his back.

ElChinoLatino
05-31-2013, 02:58 PM
The Spurs were 4th in the league in total offense in terms of scoring, and 3rd in postseason so it's easier said then done to shut us down. James is gonna constantly guard Parker getting hit with 3-4 screens per possession? Sure, if he wants to get worn out. Manu is still capable of scoring, better then any wing on Miami not named LeBron or Wade and he still possesses problems for the opponent with his passing. Spurs bigs are better then the Heat bigs. If anything..I feel if LeBron isn't dominating, the Heat don't have enough scoring to win. They are built similar, they require big games from their stars, and 3 pt shooting from their role players...which as I mentioned, will be the key in this series to me. Whoever role players play better (Haslem/Cole/Battier/Allen/Bird) or (Splitter/Green/Diaw/Bonner)

Pretty much the whole thing accentuating the bold, it kinda like Cleveland all over again. With minimal rest for the Heat and more than a week of rest for the Spurs will factor in tremendously since Wade and Lebron are getting played 40+ per game, fatigue will be a huge concern for the Heat if they don't end it next game.

IversonIsKrazy
05-31-2013, 03:14 PM
What I'm really looking forward to is Kawhi and how he guards LeBron. And I don't know if anyone knows this statistic or not, but the Spurs starting line-up of Parker/Green/Leonard/Duncan/Splitter had the BEST defensive rating and fewest points scored on per game.

LeBron cant guard Parker. Simple. Tony doesn't play hero ball, Duncan/Splitter = Underrated. I can't wait until Spurs beat Miami in 5/6 and come back to this exact thread to laugh.

Teeboy1487
05-31-2013, 03:27 PM
We will see guys and I would put my money on Miami in 5-6 games over the Spurs.

Delrayhc
05-31-2013, 03:42 PM
What I'm really looking forward to is Kawhi and how he guards LeBron. And I don't know if anyone knows this statistic or not, but the Spurs starting line-up of Parker/Green/Leonard/Duncan/Splitter had the BEST defensive rating and fewest points scored on per game.

LeBron cant guard Parker. Simple. Tony doesn't play hero ball, Duncan/Splitter = Underrated. I can't wait until Spurs beat Miami in 5/6 and come back to this exact thread to laugh.

I hope you come back to this thread to laugh as well so that i can laugh at your top 10 rappers list again.

TheLegend
05-31-2013, 03:44 PM

I agree. Spurs will be a difficult match-up. Indiana have to many careless turnovers and VERY inconsistent guard play. The spurs won't have all those bad turnovers and they have better guard play. The spurs can play the exact same defense the pacers play but much better offense. I'm picking the spurs to beat the heat should miami advance.

rgt584
05-31-2013, 04:01 PM

i disagree somewhat....i have watched spurs play both against warriors, and grizzlies...spurs offense is mostly consisted of pick n rolls with parker...like most people say parker rarely does isolation or 1on1...spurs screen and screen a defender until parker gets an opening or he gets a decent shot...the other is duncan in post or at the block where he can drive and hook shot or bank it off the glass..the 3 point shots are basically either from a defender leaving his man to contain or sometimes to double...warriors were actually the best defense on parker, not conley or allen from grizzlies...klay thompson had parker defended well...basically spurs are a good 3 point shooting team because of pickn roll based offense...indiana and miami are both defensively good teams...heat especially against pick n roll because of bosh's agility...chalmers has got size and speed to defend parker...

kdspurman
05-31-2013, 04:11 PM
i disagree somewhat....i have watched spurs play both against warriors, and grizzlies...spurs offense is mostly consisted of pick n rolls with parker...like most people say parker rarely does isolation or 1on1...spurs screen and screen a defender until parker gets an opening or he gets a decent shot...the other is duncan in post or at the block where he can drive and hook shot or bank it off the glass..the 3 point shots are basically either from a defender leaving his man to contain or sometimes to double...warriors were actually the best defense on parker, not conley or allen from grizzlies...klay thompson had parker defended well...basically spurs are a good 3 point shooting team because of pickn roll based offense...indiana and miami are both defensively good teams...heat especially against pick n roll because of bosh's agility...chalmers has got size and speed to defend parker...

The Spurs get a ton of easy baskets at the basket cause of their ball movement. How closely were you watching the Spurs series? They have struggled from 3 through out most of the playoffs and are winning cause of their defense, and last series in particular they won the points in the paint battle.

And Miami has struggled defending the pick and roll lately. They've struggled a lot actually defending the roll man.

And you should watch the video in the link below, so you can get a better idea of how the Spurs offense is. It's a lot more diverse than you realize. They even use some triangle in there as well. Definitely not as predictable as you're making it seem. Their open 3's is not a result of only pick and roll. That's only 1 of the many plays ran that results in open 3's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x4pQPpBd28

Joshtd1
05-31-2013, 04:19 PM
I still think this series comes down to whoever's role players play better, assuming Miami hangs on.

Crackadalic
05-31-2013, 04:35 PM
Spurs. Yes the pacers play hard on d but there is times they just don't play smart and they turn the ball over a lot. There offensive execution is hard to watch and the pg play isn't good at all. Yes the pacers big are playing tough but the spurs bigs plays just as good defense and play better positional defense then any bigs in these playoffs. Those who said that Lebron is going to guard Parker well that isn't smart because he is going to spend to much energy chasing him around. I do agree with josh the. It will come down to role players in the finals

rgt584
05-31-2013, 04:42 PM
The Spurs get a ton of easy baskets at the basket cause of their ball movement. How closely were you watching the Spurs series? They have struggled from 3 through out most of the playoffs and are winning cause of their defense, and last series in particular they won the points in the paint battle.

And Miami has struggled defending the pick and roll lately. They've struggled a lot actually defending the roll man.

And you should watch the video in the link below, so you can get a better idea of how the Spurs offense is. It's a lot more diverse than you realize. They even use some triangle in there as well. Definitely not as predictable as you're making it seem. Their open 3's is not a result of only pick and roll. That's only 1 of the many plays ran that results in open 3's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x4pQPpBd28

watched video..it was good...some of the plays r basicaly off ball screens to get parker in pick n roll situation to losen up the defense or to wear down the defender tho...same thing with duncan posts where he screens only to receive the pass on the block where he can go to the hook or face up and shoot...miami defense is somewhat struggling with the roll man due to hibberts size when he git close to rim or when they try to trap the ball handler but the pass goes quickly into the roll man...its dependent on the screener and defender too...some plays it works and some dont...

kdspurman
05-31-2013, 04:51 PM
watched video..it was good...some of the plays r basicaly off ball screens to get parker in pick n roll situation to losen up the defense or to wear down the defender tho...same thing with duncan posts where he screens only to receive the pass on the block where he can go to the hook or face up and shoot...miami defense is somewhat struggling with the roll man due to hibberts size when he git close to rim or when they try to trap the ball handler but the pass goes quickly into the roll man...its dependent on the screener and defender too...some plays it works and some dont...

They run a lot of off ball stuff, and it's why Curry and others felt Parker was the toughest guy to guard cause he expends so much energy and they're constantly moving without the ball.

All that ball movement, or pick and pop's, pick and rolls, down screens, etc... will usually lead to a good shot. But they have options, so if Option A is not available, they move to Option B, or sometimes Option C depending on the shot clock situation.

My point from that clip was just to show that the Spurs offense is more than just P & R's and they have several options. Especially when Bonner is on the court, he opens up the court even more and brings his man out of the paint. That's what killed the Grizzlies (though I don't see that having the same impact against Miami cause their bigs are quicker)

rgt584
05-31-2013, 05:46 PM
They run a lot of off ball stuff, and it's why Curry and others felt Parker was the toughest guy to guard cause he expends so much energy and they're constantly moving without the ball.

All that ball movement, or pick and pop's, pick and rolls, down screens, etc... will usually lead to a good shot. But they have options, so if Option A is not available, they move to Option B, or sometimes Option C depending on the shot clock situation.

My point from that clip was just to show that the Spurs offense is more than just P & R's and they have several options. Especially when Bonner is on the court, he opens up the court even more and brings his man out of the paint. That's what killed the Grizzlies (though I don't see that having the same impact against Miami cause their bigs are quicker)

i had grizzlies in a sweep against spurs...i do give cred to spurs for offense and defense...a bunch of stuff killd grizzlies...i had watchd grizzlies play and their defense had complete breakdowns on plays that there was no off ball movement sometimes...on offense for the grizzlies z-bo was swarmed and no offball movement happnd...gasol was not postd that well either..he either driftd to the perimeter where he shot or was not used at all in important situations...also if the grizzlies did run plays that needed time to work, they did it so late in shot clock that cost em good shots...goldenstate did the best against the spurs overall tho...unfortunately injuries cost them some depth...miami is on a higher level tho compard to both... most importanly cuz they run plays well and play great defense...

OceanSpray
05-31-2013, 06:06 PM
So your two most crucial things.. defense on Lebron- Leonard will have no other task than guarding him. We won't ask him to score, we won't ask him to help. He will sit when Lebron sits, and he will play when Lebron plays. He will have the greatest coach and scouts in his ear giving him the very best gameplan and he will not deviate from that gameplan for even 1 play. At the very worse, he will do just as good as George.

Your 2nd thing- rim protection, Duncan + Splitter > Hibbert. No way that can be argued. 2 seven footers are greater than 1. Law of physics.

What? What makes you think Leonard is a better defender than George? Butler/George's role were both to guard James and he's not slowing down. Leonard is not a better defender than George. Also, Duncan+Splitter>Hibbert? So why did you leave out David West? He's a big body and clogs the paint. Duncan is not as physical as Hibbert/West and that is Miami's weakness.

Twins Fanatic
05-31-2013, 06:20 PM
Parker is the biggest matchup issue for the Heat, although I think Duncan will get the better of Bosh. However, that being said, the Pacer and their size is a far worse matchup for the Heat. Plus Paul George has been going off offensively, I don't see Kwahi Leonard doing that.

rgt584
05-31-2013, 06:51 PM
Parker is the biggest matchup issue for the Heat, although I think Duncan will get the better of Bosh. However, that being said, the Pacer and their size is a far worse matchup for the Heat. Plus Paul George has been going off offensively, I don't see Kwahi Leonard doing that.

parker iso or 1on1 is not what the spurs r gonna do and i dont think that will be a matchup issue...there is some vids on the post above on what spurs plays r...from watchin vids and watchin spurs play they do off-ball screens to get parker into a pick n roll where the defense is loosnd up or jumbld so he can either go into the lane or pass...only thing i can gurantee is that theyre gonna do somethin on pick nd roll which everyone knows..bosh is gonna get some open jumpers too if spurs try to compact the lane to stop wade or lebron...leonard is good at 3 and also at perimeter d...however lebrons post play is really good this year and not to mention d wade can also post...

IversonIsKrazy
05-31-2013, 07:49 PM
I hope you come back to this thread to laugh as well so that i can laugh at your top 10 rappers list again.

Prlly one of the most solid top 10 lists, how would urs go

SportsFanatic10
05-31-2013, 08:45 PM
the pacers give the heat trouble with their size, but the spurs are the better team and the true test. they'll be trouble with their ball movement led by parker and superior coaching. they really are a GREAT all around team and are not to be underestimated, they sure have my respect.

kdspurman
06-01-2013, 03:11 PM
i had grizzlies in a sweep against spurs...i do give cred to spurs for offense and defense...a bunch of stuff killd grizzlies...i had watchd grizzlies play and their defense had complete breakdowns on plays that there was no off ball movement sometimes...on offense for the grizzlies z-bo was swarmed and no offball movement happnd...gasol was not postd that well either..he either driftd to the perimeter where he shot or was not used at all in important situations...also if the grizzlies did run plays that needed time to work, they did it so late in shot clock that cost em good shots...goldenstate did the best against the spurs overall tho...unfortunately injuries cost them some depth...miami is on a higher level tho compard to both... most importanly cuz they run plays well and play great defense...

And in fairness, it goes both ways when you consider Miami's first 2 opponents as well, and Chicago was far more injured/hobbled than GS was. I think (again if Miami advances) both teams would be facing their toughest opponent yet.