PDA

View Full Version : Who should be the next HC of the NY Rangers?

nyr1980
05-30-2013, 02:29 PM
With the current vacancy and a long list of candidates, the decision on who the best fit is for the organization and roster is a huge one.

Thoughts?

Comments?

All welcome!

Personally, top names on the list, in no particular order, IMO should be:

Lindy Ruff
Dave Tippett
Alain Vigneault
Dallas Eakins
Marc Crawford.

bsi
05-30-2013, 02:43 PM
Alain Vigneault or go fresh with a guy like Eakins. Personally I want Vigneault as I felt he got a bad wrap in Vancouver and he has a good grasp on special teams and player management.

nyr2002nyr
05-30-2013, 03:26 PM
Alain Vigneault or go fresh with a guy like Eakins. Personally I want Vigneault as I felt he got a bad wrap in Vancouver and he has a good grasp on special teams and player management.

WTF!!! We agree on something? We need to make a pact to not let this happen again!

nyr1980
05-30-2013, 03:48 PM
I know he's probably lower on most people's lists, but I think Marc Crawford would be perfect. Also, he made a comment on TSN that sound as if he was lobbying for the gig.

He's an Adams winner, Cup winner, helped turn around 2 franchises, and has had only 1 losing season in any full season as a HC.

fingerbang
05-30-2013, 04:08 PM
Tippett.

metswon69
05-30-2013, 07:34 PM
Tippett or Vigneault

SLY WILLIAMS
05-30-2013, 07:41 PM
With the current vacancy and a long list of candidates, the decision on who the best fit is for the organization and roster is a huge one.

Thoughts?

Comments?

All welcome!

Personally, top names on the list, in no particular order, IMO should be:

Lindy Ruff
Dave Tippett
Alain Vigneault
Dallas Eakins
Marc Crawford.

I'd prefer Alain Vigneault, Dallas Eakins, or a name that may not be expected like a good college coach or a good assistant coach.

Rangers in 7
05-30-2013, 08:55 PM
Vigneault is my pick to be the next coach, opens up the system for more offense but i believe we have a stronger defensive core then the canucks which would help us both ways

nyr2002nyr
05-31-2013, 08:09 AM
If the Rangers contemplate replacing John Tortorella behind the bench with an individual lacking head-coaching experience, Doug Weight could become a candidate.

A potential roadblock to even an interview is that Weight is under contract to the Islanders, where he has served the last two seasons as an assistant coach and senior advisor to the general manager.

When Garth Snow was asked if he would grant the Blueshirts permission to talk to Weight if they so request, the Islanders’ GM responded via text, “Hypotheticals are a waste of time.”

Weight, a positive influence in the development of the Islanders’ young talent and an outstanding power-play mind, played the first two years of his 19-season NHL career with the Rangers before being sent to the Oilers for Esa Tikkanen at the 1993 trade deadline. - See more at: http://www.prosportsdaily.com/articles/rangers-contemplate-doug-weight-as-next-bench-boss-252002.html#sthash.NDQIGWez.dpuf

NYSPORTS98
05-31-2013, 08:50 AM
If the Rangers contemplate replacing John Tortorella behind the bench with an individual lacking head-coaching experience, Doug Weight could become a candidate.

If Weight is the choice among all the more qualified candidates the Rangers might as well just put Messier in charge.

nyr2002nyr
05-31-2013, 09:04 AM
If Weight is the choice among all the more qualified candidates the Rangers might as well just put Messier in charge.

Is he is a serious choice we might as well pick from a hat

nyr1980
05-31-2013, 10:06 AM
I'd love Weight as an assistant, but not a HC at this point. But coming over to the Rangers in that role would be lateral for him.

fingerbang
05-31-2013, 10:15 AM
Vigneault is my pick to be the next coach, opens up the system for more offense but i believe we have a stronger defensive core then the canucks which would help us both ways

The thing about AV is that the Canucks actually scored fewer goals than than the Rangers this year.

Raiderwood
06-03-2013, 01:23 PM
Alain Vigneault - In the last 7 yrs his teams finished out of 1st place just once. Vancouver has some pretty crazy fans up there too do NYC shouldn't be a problem. The key is to mesh our Defense of 2 yrs ago with his wide open style...

NYR_NYJ
06-03-2013, 10:14 PM
Guy Boucher ?

Just thought I would throw in another name.

NYSPORTS98
06-04-2013, 09:37 PM
At this point, I'm just hoping a fella doesn't come in a demand older veterans who have no legs but a lot of playoff experience.

fingerbang
06-08-2013, 12:56 PM
On TSN Drive with Dave Naylor yesterday, Darren Dreger said that Glen Sather has sent out questionnaires to a list of coaching candidates that could be as high as ten.

Dreger says, “all coaches were asked to fill out a brief questionnaire, I don’t know how many questions, I was told it was three or four pages long and there were no promises. That is how Slats is weeding through some of the individuals he is not that familiar with. I am not suggesting that he isn’t going to interview Dallas Eakins but I know that before they get to that point they are going to gather all of these questionnaires.”

He adds that everyone in Rangers management is in California and preparing to start organizational meetings on Monday. They are expected to start going through the questionnaires during those meetings and set up their interview plan from there.

Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun, who was guest hosting with Naylor, made comments about Sather falling asleep while reading the answers from the coaches and Dreger said, that he knows Sather will do the interviews with the coaches and that this isn’t unusual for him.

He said, “prior to hiring John Tortorella, he did something similar. It wasn’t through John Tortorella, but I got my hands on the homework assignment that one coach was given a few years before and it was an exhaustive process. This thing was like 20 pages long, but I am told that this one is much shorter. Slats is very studious when it comes to these types of things, it doesn’t mean he makes the right decision but I guess he wants to be thorough.”

In 2002, Bryan Trottier won over Glen Sather by filling out a questionnaire with over 80 pages detailing coaching strategy. What impressed Sather was that Trottier wrote it out by hand and didn’t type it.

http://snyrangersblog.com/2013-rangers-coaching-search/read-glen-sather-has-sent-out-questionnaires-to-coaching-candidates/

The ****** is at it again.

SLY WILLIAMS
06-08-2013, 01:21 PM
Glad to hear Slats is doing his homework despite some poor choices many years ago. Renney was a solid choice. Torts was a solid choice. This time we need another solid choice but hopefully somebody that is better than solid and can take this talented team to the next level. I hope we can also get another game breaker to replace Gabs (and possibly Richards)

If the Pens coach becomes available (speculation at this point) then the market for a new coach becomes pretty good. Eakins, Vingeault, Bylsyma, Tippet, and Ruff are not a bad starting point. Unlike 10 years ago coaches now look at the Rangers job as an attractive job. I would not mind adding Larry Robinson and a few other names to that list as well.

fingerbang
06-08-2013, 01:32 PM
In 2002 Sather gave Trottier the job because of his spelling. I'm not making that up. Sather is evaluating talent based on who can bs him the most. A recipe for success.

SLY WILLIAMS
06-08-2013, 02:03 PM
I do not believe that Slats hires coaches based only on their spelling. I hated the Islanders as a kid but I understood what Slats saw in Trotts. He was a very smart player who won championships playing in a great system under Al Arbor. He then put in some respected work as a Penguins and Avalanche assistant. In those years the Rangers played little defense. Trotts was coming in with a defensive mindset. If Slats was looking to hire a coach based on their spelling he would just hire a spelling bee champion not lifelong hockey people like he has in the past.

nyr2002nyr
06-08-2013, 05:36 PM
I do not believe that Slats hires coaches based only on their spelling. I hated the Islanders as a kid but I understood what Slats saw in Trotts. He was a very smart player who won championships playing in a great system under Al Arbor. He then put in some respected work as a Penguins and Avalanche assistant. In those years the Rangers played little defense. Trotts was coming in with a defensive mindset. If Slats was looking to hire a coach based on their spelling he would just hire a spelling bee champion not lifelong hockey people like he has in the past.

This is the reason Slats should have also been replaced if he fired torts 1 odds are this is his last year and if the coach doesn't do well the next GM is going to want to bring in "his guy"

2 he has been awful at signing people. I don't care what you say about Trottier I know what he has done in the game but no way under any circumstances you can hire the guy. It's like the Leafs hiring Rou or the Blackhawks hiring Yzerman it just can't happen.

3 He has taken no blame for any of the last 10 years which is total BE. it always falls on someone else and he has to be held accountable.

redwhiteandblue
06-08-2013, 05:55 PM
One of my good buddies plays for the Marlies and he had nothing but great things to say about Dale Eakins. The book on him is right.

From a first hand point of view he preached how great and stand up of a guy he is and how he's very adjustable as a coach and what he does with a player week to week. Lots of line changes but a very supportive coach, a guy you can't help but love and a very smart coach.

I read a report that he was flying back out to VANcity and some insinuation he was going out there to be locked up, but apparently he has a condo out there so he can still be very much in play.

fingerbang
06-08-2013, 10:38 PM
Hopefully Eakins passes the questionnaire.

nyr2002nyr
06-08-2013, 10:44 PM
Hopefully Eakins passes the questionnaire.

This made me laugh

SLY WILLIAMS
06-09-2013, 08:48 AM
Looks like the Oilers fired their coach to hire Eakins so our list got a little smaller.

NYSPORTS98
06-09-2013, 10:37 AM
http://snyrangersblog.com/2013-rangers-coaching-search/read-glen-sather-has-sent-out-questionnaires-to-coaching-candidates/

The ****** is at it again.

Perfect. A little cancer recovery while reviewing the answers from his golf cart and smoking a cigar.

IAmARanger18
06-09-2013, 05:29 PM
I really wish we would just hire Vigneault already

Swift n Sil3nt
06-10-2013, 12:06 AM
Eakins to the Oilers

fingerbang
06-10-2013, 12:44 PM
They received permission to speak to Ruff.

MJL80
06-10-2013, 01:34 PM
Eakins to the Oilers

Kind of glad... I'd prefer Vigneault and Bylsma (if he gets axed) over Eakins anyway.

lvlheaded
06-10-2013, 02:51 PM
Tippett, Vigneault or Bylsma. Preferably Bylsma, but he needs to get axed

J4KOP99
06-10-2013, 03:06 PM
Glenn, please do not hire Lindy Ruff.

NYSPORTS98
06-10-2013, 03:28 PM
Glenn, please do not hire Lindy Ruff.

What's wrong with Ruff? I recall his teams always playing hard for him.

Meanwhile, Bylsma's superstar team scores only two goals against the Bruins and . . . :love:?

nyr2002nyr
06-10-2013, 03:39 PM
What's wrong with Ruff? I recall his teams always playing hard for him.

Meanwhile, Bylsma's superstar team scores only two goals against the Bruins and . . . :love:?

Agreed Ruff over Bylsma any day. Ruff never had many great teams to work with and they were always decent. Bylsma had an stacked AS team and cant win