PDA

View Full Version : Position Specific Coaches/Mentors

JasonJohnHorn
05-30-2013, 11:41 AM
Some of you may have heard that Karl Malone will be returning to Utah to help coach/mentor some of the young players: http://www.nba.com/2013/news/05/29/karl-malone-jazz-big-men.ap/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpts

We've seen in the past both Kareem and Hakeem do the same. But we don't hear about guys coming in for other positions. I realize part of this is likely because a lot of coaches are former point guards, and they are essentially coaching their own point guards on the floor as to how to play the game, but it seems like having a talented point guard/passer coming in to mentor guys, or having an elite shooter coming in to teach shooting, would be a big help. I can only imagine the kind of impact Stockton might have on a point guard, not only because of his passing ability and court vision, but also his shooting.

Guys like Stockton, Mark Price, Reggie Miller (who I realize already has a job) Mitch Richmond and Chris Mullin (among others) would all make great shooting coaches.

Do you guys think that teams should bring in more mentors and such to develop their talent? I think every team should have a shooting coach. Guys working with big men and point guards may not be needed on a full-time basis, but it'd be nice to have them come in like Kareem and Hakeem have done.

Thoughts?

kdspurman
05-30-2013, 03:32 PM
I think it's great, especially for the young big men in the league. Duncan did something similar during the lockout with a handful of guys. (Lamarcus Aldridge, Anthony Davis, Tristan Thompson) Even Roy Hibbert, and this was a quote from Hibbert last year-

“I worked out with Tim Duncan this summer,” Hibbert, who had 19 points and 18 rebounds in the contest, said. ”I model my game after him. Actually, he texts me after every game. I’m appreciative, and he’s somebody that looks out for me.”

You can see now the way Hibbert plays just with his footwork, and keeping the ball high in the paint, etc... Just fundamentally sound stuff. He's looked really good.

Glad to see the Malone doing this, with the potential of a guy like Favors, Malone will be a great help.

slaker619
05-30-2013, 03:57 PM
Its really good towards a players development & prob helps him off-court to!