PDA

View Full Version : Watching Hibbert is eye opening

IKnowHoops
05-29-2013, 07:32 PM
Watching Hibbert just reminds me of the league 15 years ago when David, Hakeem, and Shaq were dominating. The Heat have no answer for Hibbert when he gets the ball deep. He is so dominant against them. Hibbert is 7'2, relatively unathletic, with not much jumping ability, or hand eye coordination. What would a 7'1 David, Patrick, Shaq do to Miami or any team right now. David was basically Hibberts size with the speed athleticism and jumping ability of Paul George. David and Shaq would own the NBA right now. And they would score 40-50 every game if they were on the pacers going against the Heat right now. No doubt wing players are better now, but big men (PF and C) were just exponentially better then. David wood destroy Hibbert. He could hold hibbert under 8pts every game meanwhile scoring 40+. And this guy Hibbert is destroying Bosh and every other big they put on him. Its ridiculous how great the bigs where 15 years ago.

KnickaBocka.44
05-29-2013, 07:37 PM
Das Koo.

still1ballin
05-29-2013, 07:39 PM
Das Koo.

Tony_Starks
05-29-2013, 07:41 PM
I mentioned that I'd rather have Hibbert over Brook Lopez about mid-season and got completely scoffed at!

lamzoka
05-29-2013, 07:41 PM
Hibbert > Dwight
:hide:

KnickaBocka.44
05-29-2013, 08:01 PM
I mentioned that I'd rather have Hibbert over Brook Lopez about mid-season and got completely scoffed at!

by Nets Trolls maybe. Anyone with common sense would take Hibbsauce all day.

Chronz
05-29-2013, 08:14 PM
lol das koo

----

Seriously tho, Hibbert is a throwback

BALLER R
05-29-2013, 08:18 PM
As a raptor fan I think Valanciunas will be similar to Hibbert but more athletic.

jacquewho?
05-29-2013, 08:18 PM
I think it just goes to show that we are entering into a new era where some teams are going away from having a true center on their roster/starting 5 to support a fast-paced offense. Just an observation.

KnickaBocka.44
05-29-2013, 08:28 PM
I think it just goes to show that we are entering into a new era where some teams are going away from having a true center on their roster/starting 5 to support a fast-paced offense. Just an observation.

We entered that era a while ago man. If anything Hibbert is proving that big-man ball is not a thing of the past.

bucketss
05-29-2013, 08:30 PM
As a raptor fan I think Valanciunas will be similar to Hibbert but more athletic.

i remember he was dominating pacers front court and completely out working them, kid is only like 19 and 230 pounds. cant wait for the future!

KingPosey
05-29-2013, 08:36 PM
Hibbert did this before in the playoffs and got paid. He is a more old school traditional big man, the problem is the Heat don't have a real center on their roster.

Kyben36
05-29-2013, 08:38 PM
hibbert is good, but the #1 and #2 centers in the league right now should be Oden and Dwight, Oden could of been so dominate and I am so disapointed to see what happened to him.

NYJ - NYY
05-29-2013, 08:39 PM
I like Hibbert man he's gonna be a force for years to come

kdspurman
05-29-2013, 08:49 PM
He's been very impressive this post season, and has made it look fairly easy. That's there for him against a lot of teams.

Crazy as it sounds, I'd like to see his regular season numbers improve. 12 points 8 boards 2.6 blocks pm 44% shooting is pretty mediocre compared to what he's doing in the playoffs.

I realize it's a little backwards, most time you want better production in the playoffs than in the reg season but I feel he can and should be more dominant next season. Hopefully he plays more than 28mpg.

harryharrison
05-29-2013, 08:49 PM
I take 3 conclusions after watching Hibbert dominate.

1. It's still a big man league
2. Hibbert is B- big man who can dominate games against the best player in the world
3. Michael Jordan was God. He won 6 titles as a shooting guard against the 90's bigs. :worthy:

JEDean89
05-29-2013, 09:13 PM
hibbert is 7'2 and like close to 300 pounds. that is 3 inches taller than dwight, bigger than drummond, bigger than cousins bigger than bynum bigger than all the bigs in the league that are freaking huge right now.

harryharrison
05-29-2013, 09:19 PM
Hibbert is big with skill.

He's no Tim Duncan, but Hibbert flashes moves and effort.

More than I can say about Bynum and Dwight.

heyman321
05-29-2013, 09:20 PM
Hibbert is being overrated. The only reason he is dominating right now is because he is playing jump shooting teams with absolutely no big men. I had him on two fantasy teams during the year and he was wildly inconsistent, shooting 40% on most nights for a freaking center! He picked it up a bit in the 2nd half, but if they play the Spurs in the finals expect him to be shutdown by Duncan and Splitter.

Tony_Starks
05-29-2013, 09:22 PM

Not only Nets trolls but the stat guys killed me too. Not keeping in mind that typically he's like the teams 3rd option.

bucketss
05-29-2013, 09:22 PM
Hibbert is being overrated. The only reason he is dominating right now is because he is playing jump shooting teams with absolutely no big men. I had him on two fantasy teams during the year and he was wildly inconsistent, shooting 40% on most nights for a freaking center! He picked it up a bit in the 2nd half, but if they play the Spurs in the finals expect him to be shutdown by Duncan and Splitter.

^agreed.

harryharrison
05-29-2013, 09:32 PM
Hibbert is not a great player. He's having a great series and showing that when a traditional big man is dominating the floor there is no other player in history who could overcome that except Michael Jordan.

b@llhog24
05-29-2013, 09:41 PM
Hibbert is not a great player. He's having a great series and showing that when a traditional big man is dominating the floor there is no other player in history who could overcome that except Michael Jordan.

I guess that's why the Orlando Magic made it to the finals in 95.

Gators123
05-29-2013, 09:41 PM
This is why I have such high hopes for a Monroe (6-11 250) and Drummond (6-11 290) front court.

heyman321
05-29-2013, 09:44 PM
This is why I have such high hopes for a Monroe (6-11 250) and Drummond (6-11 290) front court.

I am jealous of dat frontcourt.

JasonJohnHorn
05-29-2013, 09:45 PM
I think a lot of the shift is in the rules and how the game is called. Not to say I think any center in the league is where Hakeem or Robinson were at, but at the same time, the power forwards these days don't put up numbers as impressive as Malone and Barkley either. How many guys have averaged 25/12 since 90's? I think Shaq and Duncan are the only two... and Garnett got 24/12 one year. But the league makes it harder for guys to score in the post. They've taken the post game out with the back-to-the-basket rule. Unless you can make a move in less than three seconds, you don't get the ball in the post. So the only front court players that score are guys who work well on the pick-and-roll to the basket (like Nash ran with Gortat, and how Orlando ran with Howard) or guys who have a good mid-range game. If guys can get good position in the post and you have a point guard that can get the ball into them, then you can have some guys that can score in the post still, but the league, for what ever reason, would rather have a PG, SG or SF go one-on-one facing the basket, then a C or a PF going one-on-one with their back to the basket.

I miss the post game.

Also, there is a trend in the NBA from coaches like Pop and VDN this season where starters get pulled out early and their averages are a little lower. The Spur only had three guys average over 30 minutes a game and NOBODY on the roster averages as much as 33 minutes. ZERO guys on that roster got 36 minutes per game.

Pretty much the same for the Clippers. Only 2 guys averaged over 30 minutes a game (CP3 and BG) and none averaged more than 33.4 minutes a game, and BG, a young kid with a developing game only got 32.5 minutes a game. Guys like Barkley and Malone and Robinson, when they were in their third year, they were getting around 40 minutes a game. It is whey they were able to average 20/10. BG could do the same, but he simply didn't get the minutes he would have needed to do that.

jacquewho?
05-29-2013, 10:20 PM
He's been very impressive this post season, and has made it look fairly easy. That's there for him against a lot of teams.

Crazy as it sounds, I'd like to see his regular season numbers improve. 12 points 8 boards 2.6 blocks pm 44% shooting is pretty mediocre compared to what he's doing in the playoffs.

I realize it's a little backwards, most time you want better production in the playoffs than in the reg season but I feel he can and should be more dominant next season. Hopefully he plays more than 28mpg.

He admitted to having mental struggles during the regular season, in addition to a right wrist problem that didn't get corrected until before the all-star break. He definitely underperformed for majority of the beginning of the season, but he turnt up right when we needed him to.

kdspurman
05-29-2013, 10:27 PM
He admitted to having mental struggles during the regular season, in addition to a right wrist problem that didn't get corrected until before the all-star break. He definitely underperformed for majority of the beginning of the season, but he turnt up right when we needed him to.

Ah ok, thanks for clarifying. I did remember hearing about the wrist problem in one of these playoff games. He definitely is showing now what he's capable, I believe he can and should be a 20-10 guy next year.

Always nice to see a player own up to their struggles.

Tony_Starks
05-29-2013, 10:59 PM

Right because MJ beat some pretty dominant bigs for his rings. Vlade Divac. Kevin Duckworth. Mark West. Sam Perkins. Oh and let's not forget Greg Ostertag. ( twice )

bucketss
05-29-2013, 11:17 PM
Right because MJ beat some pretty dominant bigs for his rings. Vlade Divac. Kevin Duckworth. Mark West. Sam Perkins. Oh and let's not forget Greg Ostertag. ( twice )

LOL thank you, jordan throne polishers try way too hard.

Hangtime
05-30-2013, 12:17 AM

He went though Ewing, Shaq, Daugherty, Mourning, Smits and Mutombo as well.

waveycrockett
05-30-2013, 12:20 AM
You clearly didn't watch Basketball this season. Lopez was not only way better this season he owned him when they played each other. I think it was Game 1 this season when Lopez dropped like 14 points on him in the 4th quarter for the come from behind win.

waveycrockett
05-30-2013, 12:30 AM
Not only Nets trolls but the stat guys killed me too. Not keeping in mind that typically he's like the teams 3rd option.

LMAO that cause Roy Hibbert is not GOOD ENOUGH to be a #1 option as evidenced by how bad he was this season. But of course he's looked like prime Shaq against Miami and Birdman so we should anoint him the best center in the game after an awful season. Makes perfect sense.

diu9leilomo
05-30-2013, 12:32 AM
hibbert is overrated, if you look at the Heat team, they dont even have a center...bosh is PF

put any true center can score a double double on bosh

waveycrockett
05-30-2013, 12:34 AM
hibbert is overrated, if you look at the Heat team, they dont even have a center...bosh is PF

Exactly. People are smoking some good stuff. Right now any top-10 center would look like a monster against this Miami team. Their big men are soft as wet toilet paper. This season Hibbert was garbage.

sep11ie
05-30-2013, 12:38 AM
Hibbert had Robinson by an inch or two and like 60 pounds.

CTCUBBIES
05-30-2013, 12:49 AM
You clearly didn't watch Basketball this season. Lopez was not only way better this season he owned him when they played each other. I think it was Game 1 this season when Lopez dropped like 14 points on him in the 4th quarter for the come from behind win.

Remember when Noah dominated the Nets in game 7? You know, a game that actually meant something. I guess from now on that means Noah is better than Lopez. I don't necessarily believe this but it shows the conclusions someone can come to using childlike logic.

waveycrockett
05-30-2013, 12:56 AM
Remember when Noah dominated the Nets in game 7? You know, a game that actually meant something. I guess from now on that means Noah is better than Lopez. I don't necessarily believe this but it shows the conclusions someone can come to using childlike logic.

Soooo none of the 82 game regular season doesnt count for crap? How is using 82 regular season games to say Lopez was better childlike logic?? Because Lopez was the best player overall in that series against Noah and over 82 games was way way better than Hibbert.

Lake_Show2416
05-30-2013, 02:26 AM
Good center not great, provides exactly wut u want from a center mainly being defense & rebounding but he is playing a Heat front court thats not really deep, he's an easy type of center to build around so u can do a lot worse

jam
05-30-2013, 03:58 AM
Hibbert's showing some signs of greatness, and the fact that he's stepping up his game in crunch time, in the playoffs, against the defending champs, is very promising indeed.

I'm a fan of hibbert, the pacers squad and of vogel in particular. They should be very dangerous next season with the return of granger and with the continuing improvement of hibbert.

Hibbert's not a moron like dwight, so he could wind up as the best C in the game in future years.

PS: can we please get a starbucks set up at the pacers fieldhouse???? Those are some of the sleepiest, least energetic fans I've seen in pro sports. Wake up Indiana!!!

jam
05-30-2013, 04:04 AM
Hibbert's in a superior system first of all, and is playing his best basketball in the most pressure packed situation of his career. Yes, the stars are aligning, and hibbert's getting a disproportionate amount of attention as a result, but that's life, man, deal with it.

Soooo none of the 82 game regular season doesnt count for crap? How is using 82 regular season games to say Lopez was better childlike logic?? Because Lopez was the best player overall in that series against Noah and over 82 games was way way better than Hibbert.

RiceOnTheRun
05-30-2013, 04:05 AM
hibbert is good, but the #1 and #2 centers in the league right now should be Oden and Dwight, Oden could of been so dominate and I am so disapointed to see what happened to him.

You mean Yao and Oden.

85BearsDefense
05-30-2013, 04:14 AM
Just a little blast from the past here but KG killed Miami in playoffs last year, pretty sure it's the fact that large centers destroy Miami bc Bosh is simply not. A center.

jam
05-30-2013, 04:21 AM
KG's a 6'11" PF, not a true center. You have no idea what you're talking about. Jesus.

Just a little blast from the past here but KG killed Miami in playoffs last year, pretty sure it's the fact that large centers destroy Miami bc Bosh is simply not. A center.

R. Johnson#3
05-30-2013, 05:25 AM
I'd rather have Jermaine O'Neal......oh, wait a minute.

D-Leethal
05-30-2013, 08:54 AM
Never doubt a C from Georgetown.

Is it safe to say right here and now he is the best C in the league? Until Dwight has a bounce back year? I think I would take him over anyone for his combination of D, rebounding and back to the basket post game. His only real downfall is lack of agility and he gets extremely gassed during games. I don't know why they don't go to him more often in the post and run their offense through him.

All that said, he would get dominated by the Centers of yesteryear.

Pacerlive
05-30-2013, 09:46 AM
I'd rather have Jermaine O'Neal......oh, wait a minute.

LOL. Ya sorry Toronto. We sold you damage goods and got a star center out of it.

For all those who don't watch the Pacers yet think they know Hibberts game please just stop it. We had a terrible coach that destroyed Hibberts game and progression early on. He shot terrible this year due to a bad wrist but he has always been one of the best rim protectors in this league.

Personally I would take Howard's athleticism over Hibbert. I would also take Noah's motor over Hibberts and Lopezs offensive game over Hibbert but I wouldn't take none of them over Hibberts overall game.

He is more of a complete player than all of them and he has a really strong work ethic to boot. Marc Gasol is the only other player that I would want over Hibbert but even that could change by next year.

3RDASYSTEM
05-30-2013, 10:17 AM
Watching Hibbert just reminds me of the league 15 years ago when David, Hakeem, and Shaq were dominating. The Heat have no answer for Hibbert when he gets the ball deep. He is so dominant against them. Hibbert is 7'2, relatively unathletic, with not much jumping ability, or hand eye coordination. What would a 7'1 David, Patrick, Shaq do to Miami or any team right now. David was basically Hibberts size with the speed athleticism and jumping ability of Paul George. David and Shaq would own the NBA right now. And they would score 40-50 every game if they were on the pacers going against the Heat right now. No doubt wing players are better now, but big men (PF and C) were just exponentially better then. David wood destroy Hibbert. He could hold hibbert under 8pts every game meanwhile scoring 40+. And this guy Hibbert is destroying Bosh and every other big they put on him. Its ridiculous how great the bigs where 15 years ago.

No its not eye opening, and if HIBB is reminding you of DROB-DREAM-SHAQ then I guess we just see bball on entirely diff. scale

HIBB reminds me of a more mobile better offensive version of MUTOMBO, nothing more nothing less

that is nowhere near a complete game or dominance level of those you mentioned HIBB reminds you of

But they do have a nice duo of GEORGE-HIBB to build on in todays dying breed of bigman

SHAQ would drop 60 on'em just to show BRON that he's the modernday WILT,the others would just beat'em in many ways, SHAQ was more vicious nasty with it,see the 3peat for proof

Nats_vcu-Okc35
05-30-2013, 11:34 AM
Potential to be a top three center, but he is not a player you want to center your team around. (No pun intended) I followed Hibbert closely this year (admittedly I had him in fantasy basketball) and my reaction to his season was something like this:

Boggled my mind as he just fell on his face offensively and on the boards early in the season. The really troubling thing was that his FG%, sub 45% as a big man is inexplicable. 2 main reasons were a lingering wrist injury, and he was having a mental break down, or an issue of confidence, or what have you.

Defensively Hibbert has been fairly consistent at a plus rate. At 7'2 he's a top tier interior defender at his best, with his biggest flaw being that he can get pushed around down low too often against a bigger frontcourt.

If you have heard the man talk, he is definitely an intelligent guy. He uses that intelligence to make up for the next fact about him.

As an asthmatic, coaches have to manage his minutes more than they would for most, and its shows up sometimes at the end of games.

People forget that Hibbert was working with Tim Duncan the past couple off seasons, and that work is showing up. Duncan was the perfect guy to work with Hibbert who's best bet is to play with a low-impact, high-efficiency game, similar to Timmy D.

The biggest difference late in the season was he focused on turning the wrist injury into a positive. I cannot overstate how big of a difference him taking more off hand shots has made. He uses it off the boards to get a quicker release on the put-back, and he is eager to use it to surprise guys off the catch or even occasionally off the dribble.

Bottom line, I'm not gonna anoint him the next great big man, but he is definitely an intelligent guy who is working on expanding his game, which is crucial to progressing as a player. In a league that is trending smaller, he can be a great asset for the defensively focused Pacers.

D-Leethal
05-30-2013, 11:38 AM
I think Hibbert is a prime example of a 50-50 draft pick that could have went bust or could have went allstar with hardwork being the only X factor. Hibbert could have easily remained fat without NBA level conditioning and became just another draft bust. Instead he worked his *** off, lost weight, trained MMA for conditioning, continued to hone his skills and now hes a top flight Center on a team battling for the Finals. Thats truly how thin the line between bust and allstar can be in this league. That, and being drafted by the right team.

MonroeFAN
05-30-2013, 11:44 AM

By who? A nets fan? I would take Hibbert all day.

I think I'd take him over Dwight right now.

Kashmir13579
05-30-2013, 12:06 PM
I wish there were more players like him.

Kashmir13579
05-30-2013, 12:07 PM

A few weeks back you said we were going to roll over Hibbert and the Pacers.

KingPosey
05-30-2013, 12:46 PM

Is it safe to say right here and now he is the best C in the league? Until Dwight has a bounce back year? I think I would take him over anyone for his combination of D, rebounding and back to the basket post game. His only real downfall is lack of agility and he gets extremely gassed during games. I don't know why they don't go to him more often in the post and run their offense through him.

All that said, he would get dominated by the Centers of yesteryear.
So he has a completely disappointing ENTIRE season, then has 5 really good games and he's the bet C in the league?

Dwight averaged near 18 and 13 and we are talking about it being a Bad year for him, I think that says something pretty clear

KniCks4LiFe
05-30-2013, 12:54 PM
I wish there were more players like him.

me too. I mean think about this. 7'2, potential but homie was a stiff. That's why no one wanted him as a lottery pick. Credit to him and Indy. But more him, the MMA training, the cardio and footwork training. You look at him and then you look at guys like DeAndre Jordan and Eddy Curry wasted potential from what they should be. :pity:

BklynKnicks3
05-30-2013, 01:01 PM
he is lookin like wilt right now vs bosh and vs chandler lol

Avenged
05-30-2013, 01:07 PM
Living in the moment. It's no coincidence all of a sudden Parker is the best PG in the league, and Hibbert the best C. Wonder what they have in common...

BklynKnicks3
05-30-2013, 01:09 PM
well said man i agree I wouldnt put parker in the top 15. About top 5 or 6 pg wise and hibbert is the 3rd best center and about a top 30 player
Living in the moment. It's no coincidence all of a sudden Parker is the best PG in the league, and Hibbert the best C. Wonder what they have in common...

waveycrockett
05-30-2013, 01:16 PM
well said man i agree I wouldnt put parker in the top 15. About top 5 or 6 pg wise and hibbert is the 3rd best center and about a top 30 player

Hibbert was not even a top-15 center after the season he just had. He was awful. He had 2 very good series against teams with undersized front court and he is suddenly top-3? OK

D-Leethal
05-30-2013, 01:18 PM
A few weeks back you said we were going to roll over Hibbert and the Pacers.

Because I thought we were. Tyson owned Hibbert in the past, I didn't expect the script to flip 180. Hibbert is playing at a level right now he hasn't played at all season. He had a pretty crappy regular season. I have said in like 100 different threads how much I underestimated Indy. My post was more 'I learned my lesson, never doubt a C from Georgetown' than me saying 'Yall shoulda known never doubt a C from Georgetown!!'.

Don't you have a field to play in or a forest to walk through up there?

harryharrison
05-30-2013, 01:20 PM
The NBA regular season is nothing more than a globetrotter experience. Who the hell cares about an 82 game season when MORE than half the league makes the playoffs?

It's all about the playoffs.

D-Leethal
05-30-2013, 01:22 PM
So he has a completely disappointing ENTIRE season, then has 5 really good games and he's the bet C in the league?

Dwight averaged near 18 and 13 and we are talking about it being a Bad year for him, I think that says something pretty clear

He did have a crappy season but I said 'right here and now' for a reason. The level he's playing at right now on both ends is better than we've seen from any Center this year IMO.

blahblahyoutoo
05-30-2013, 01:25 PM

he may not be athletic but to say he has no eye-hand coordination is blatantly false.

blahblahyoutoo
Hibbert > Dwight
:hide:

this is true. no need to run for the covers.

KniCks4LiFe
The NBA regular season is nothing more than a globetrotter experience. Who the hell cares about an 82 game season when MORE than half the league makes the playoffs?

It's all about the playoffs.

the main reason it's like that is cuz' each league has 16 teams. 8 teams in automatically w/ a possibility of 2 or 3 more playing for the last spot majority of the 2nd half means less teams trying to tank. I think they'll soon go into the wildcard format. Forcing the hottest team to play the best in the league.

KniCks4LiFe
05-30-2013, 01:30 PM
he may not be athletic but to say he has no eye-hand coordination is blatantly false.

I think he's better than he's been showing. They don't get him the ball enough.

harryharrison
05-30-2013, 01:31 PM
the main reason it's like that is cuz' each league has 16 teams. 8 teams in automatically w/ a possibility of 2 or 3 more playing for the last spot majority of the 2nd half means less teams trying to tank. I think they'll soon go into the wildcard format. Forcing the hottest team to play the best in the league.

It doesn't matter why the regular season is worthless. It just is.

I could give two cents what Hibbert does in the regular season. What he is doing now is devastating to the Heat. And he's doing it when it matters and in the 4th quarter.

Kashmir13579
05-30-2013, 01:31 PM
Because I thought we were. Tyson owned Hibbert in the past, I didn't expect the script to flip 180. Hibbert is playing at a level right now he hasn't played at all season. He had a pretty crappy regular season. I have said in like 100 different threads how much I underestimated Indy. My post was more 'I learned my lesson, never doubt a C from Georgetown' than me saying 'Yall shoulda known never doubt a C from Georgetown!!'.

Don't you have a field to play in or a forest to walk through up there in no mans land?

For opinions that change every few weeks, yours come off a bit too brazen.

We've got plenty of forests up here. Bad work week?

D-Leethal
05-30-2013, 01:36 PM
For opinions that change every few weeks, yours come off a bit too brazen.

We've got plenty of forests up here. Bad work week?

......says the guy who went from bragging about cursing out JR Smith on twitter telling him to leave the Knicks to rocking him in his avatar all season and claiming hes one of your favorites

......and the guy who flipped flopped on Melo everytime he hit a hot and cold streak

......and the guy who argued Felton was a scrub all season long to riding his jock in round 1 of the playoffs

Opinions are supposed to change when there are reasons to change them. But it looks like you knew that already.

waveycrockett
05-30-2013, 01:36 PM

Don't you have a field to play in or a forest to walk through up there?

Tyson getting owned by Hibbert had way more to do with his kneck injury and the fact that the Knicks had a horrible game plan against the pacers which even Frank Vogel has pointed out.

Hangtime
05-30-2013, 01:40 PM
Yeah its funny. It's always about who is healthy and playing well at the moment and everybody jumps on the wagon about how they are the best in the league. If the Pacers lose the series no one will talk much about Hibbert and wonder how a team with a such a front court like Hibbert/West lost to Miami with Bosh/Haslem.

A few weeks ago it was Gasol. LMAO

Greet
05-30-2013, 01:47 PM

Parker was getting noticed like this pre-injury as well.... Hibbert is just an "in the moment" player right now, he still has a lot to develop.

I don't think putting Parker's situation with Hibberts is fair.

D-Leethal
05-30-2013, 01:49 PM
Tyson getting owned by Hibbert had way more to do with his kneck injury and the fact that the Knicks had a horrible game plan against the pacers which even Frank Vogel has pointed out.

IDK, Tyson sort of looked like **** all season. He also said before game 1 of the playoffs he felt healthier and better rested than he did all season. Even after he didn't blame the injury, he blamed the lack of time to find a rhythm after the injury (which IMO is pretty bogus - you don't really need a 'rhythm' to play post defense).

Vogel pointing that out was talking about how we allowed Hibbert to roam in the paint freely. Its tough to suck him out the paint when you have Tyson Chandler out there and not Chris Bosh.

Kashmir13579
05-30-2013, 02:31 PM
......says the guy who went from bragging about cursing out JR Smith on twitter telling him to leave the Knicks to rocking him in his avatar all season and claiming hes one of your favorites

......and the guy who flipped flopped on Melo everytime he hit a hot and cold streak

......and the guy who argued Felton was a scrub all season long to riding his jock in round 1 of the playoffs

Opinions are supposed to change when there are reasons to change them. But it looks like you knew that already.

Since we're apparently going off the topic of Hibbert, you're mistaking fanhood of JR. I still recognize him as a knuckle-headed chucker who can be a detriment on and off the court. I knowingly and against my better judgement over-look that. Thats a change in heart, not a fundamental change in my view of him as a basketball player. Whereas you are a snarling homer who defends every wrong move JR and the Knicks make.

If any of that about 'Melo or Felton is true i'd love for you to prove it. Otherwise its just unfounded fluff.

Pacerlive
05-30-2013, 02:32 PM
Hibbert was not even a top-15 center after the season he just had. He was awful. He had 2 very good series against teams with undersized front court and he is suddenly top-3? OK

Defensively he defiantly was top 3. Offensively he was hurt by his wrist injury. IT would be like me saying Lopez was not even a top 30 Center in 2011-12? Take into account injuries and its obvious that Lopez is up there and Hibbert is up there when healthy.

Dwight is downgraded for other reasons like turnovers, FT shooting and a subpar attitude.

Kashmir13579
05-30-2013, 02:33 PM
IDK, Tyson sort of looked like **** all season. He also said before game 1 of the playoffs he felt healthier and better rested than he did all season. Even after he didn't blame the injury, he blamed the lack of time to find a rhythm after the injury (which IMO is pretty bogus - you don't really need a 'rhythm' to play post defense).

Vogel pointing that out was talking about how we allowed Hibbert to roam in the paint freely. Its tough to suck him out the paint when you have Tyson Chandler out there and not Chris Bosh.
Tyson was our second best player during the regular season, hands down.

Clippersfan86
05-30-2013, 02:34 PM
Goes to show the post game still>>>the perimeter game. Sure the best players in the game happen to be perimeter players but guys like Hibbert and Vujevic... throwback centers have flat out eaten the Heat alive this year and their small ball style. More coaches need to get back to teaching the post game and stop having 7 footers shoot 3's.

KnickaBocka.44
05-30-2013, 02:36 PM
Goes to show the post game still>>>the perimeter game. Sure the best players in the game happen to be perimeter players but guys like Hibbert and Vujevic... throwback centers have flat out eaten the Heat alive this year and their small ball style. More coaches need to get back to teaching the post game and stop having 7 footers shoot 3's.

Where did you get this? You just named 2 guys who played particularly well against 1 team this season. Let's not overreact here.

85BearsDefense
05-30-2013, 02:50 PM
KG's a 6'11" PF, not a true center. You have no idea what you're talking about. Jesus.

You clearly haven't watched the Celtics over the past few years Garnett has been playing the center position for some time, while he is not 7'2 he kills Miami from the center position which was my point. But no no I have nooooo idea what I'm talking about.

85BearsDefense
05-30-2013, 02:53 PM
Anyone who says Hibbert is a top 3 center or is better than Dwight is full of ****. No way. Did you watch Hibbert during the regular season... My God the memory on some people.

D-Leethal
05-30-2013, 03:09 PM

We sure didn't seem to skip a beat or have any trouble going 13-2 while he was on the bench injured.

smith&wesson
05-30-2013, 03:34 PM
Shaquille would dominate any C of any era in his prime...

IKnowHoops
05-30-2013, 04:01 PM
Hibbert had Robinson by an inch or two and like 60 pounds.

David was like 240-245 but pure muscle. And athletically the difference between him and Hibert is probably 10 inches on vertical alone. David played bigger than Hibert

IKnowHoops
05-30-2013, 04:05 PM
No its not eye opening, and if HIBB is reminding you of DROB-DREAM-SHAQ then I guess we just see bball on entirely diff. scale

HIBB reminds me of a more mobile better offensive version of MUTOMBO, nothing more nothing less

that is nowhere near a complete game or dominance level of those you mentioned HIBB reminds you of

But they do have a nice duo of GEORGE-HIBB to build on in todays dying breed of bigman

SHAQ would drop 60 on'em just to show BRON that he's the modernday WILT,the others would just beat'em in many ways, SHAQ was more vicious nasty with it,see the 3peat for proof

Guess you didnt read where I said David would destroy Hibbert and hold him under *pts a game. Or where I said Drob and Shaq would score 40-50 every game. Has Hibbert been doing that? Comprehension!!

jam
05-30-2013, 04:27 PM
That's why y'all will never win a championship with your current roster.

Pacerlive
05-30-2013, 05:35 PM
Nay NY won't win a championship because they play small. The Heat will kill you if you play small and everyone knows it.

FreakaNashur
05-30-2013, 06:25 PM
Nay NY won't win a championship because they play small. The Heat will kill you if you play small and everyone knows it.

Its your best shot if you play us small because BIGs are irrelevant when they play us. doesn't mean you can win..lebron is 6'8 and and wade is 6'4. that's not really small.

Pacerlive
05-30-2013, 07:10 PM
Its your best shot if you play us small because BIGs are irrelevant when they play us. doesn't mean you can win..lebron is 6'8 and and wade is 6'4. that's not really small.

I am not sure who you mean by us but melo and jr smith are trumped by Lebron and Wade period. Go small and you give up the rebound advantage and that's the only advantage that you can win against the Heat. Well that and points in the paint.

I am not saying they are necessarily small but that small lineups don't work against them. Thier only true weakness is post defense and rebounding and that's what NYK struggles with because they play Melo at the 4.

Kashmir13579
05-30-2013, 08:06 PM
We sure didn't seem to skip a beat or have any trouble going 13-2 while he was on the bench injured.

The wins were Kenyon Martin fueled, whist 'Melo was on a heater. Not convincing.

Clippersfan86
05-30-2013, 08:35 PM
Where did you get this? You just named 2 guys who played particularly well against 1 team this season. Let's not overreact here.

Every time an all star big comes along... they dominate. Yao Ming for example? Shaq? Imagine those giants playing against the current small ball Thunder and Heat? They would average 30/15 in a series. It's a well known fact that a dominant big man will pretty much always have more impact than perimeter players. Sure you have all time legends like Lebron, Jordan, Bird and Magic who can dominate from the perimeter but most of them play from the post. Jordan? An elite post player who did most of his damage out of post up position. Same with Bird and Magic.

Look at the NBA champion list. Tell me which teams don't have an all star/dominant bigman that plays in the post. The list is very small. Even Dirk for example spends most of his time in the mid-high post (far more than let's say Bosh).

2012= Bosh
2011= Dirk
2010=Gasol
2009=Gasol
2008=KG
2007= Duncan
2006=Shaq
2005= Duncan
2004= Ben Wallace, Sheed
2003=Duncan
2002=Shaq
2001=Shaq
2000=Shaq
1999= Duncan, Robinson

The list goes on and on. Bosh is pretty much the only perimeter based all star big on a championship team in the last 15-20 years unless you consider Dirk one. The Dynasty Bulls had good bigs throughout, none of which scored much in the post but that has more to do with the Triangle and the fact that JORDAN was the one posting up. Bottom line is no post threat= no NBA championship. Lebron became a legit post threat last year and that was the difference IMO in the deep playoffs.

I'm happy to see this new crop of centers like Vujevic, Cousins, Pekovic, Hibbert come in because they bring back the old school game and teams don't know how to deal with them.

OldStyleCubbies
05-31-2013, 12:01 AM
Dudes a stud.

OceanSpray
05-31-2013, 01:00 AM
I'm sorry but Hibbert is overrated. People seem to think he's been playing this great for the entire season. This is the Miami Heat we're talking about. Anyone who does great against them will have their media attention. Hibbert isn't doing this against the likes of Memphis, Bulls, Spurs, or any other competitive big man. He's dominating Andersen? Chris Bosh? We all know Chris Bosh can't rebound and is quite soft. He's not proving anything other than he should be dominating them in the first place. If Pacers do manage to win, Hibbert will be exposed against Duncan. He's been dominating Miami and that's not a surprise. Miami's weakest position is the center spot and if you want to beat Miami, check the history. They struggle against Noah, Chandler, and any big man.

Clippersfan86
05-31-2013, 01:01 AM
I'm sorry but Hibbert is overrated. People seem to think he's been playing this great for the entire season. This is the Miami Heat we're talking about. Anyone who does great against them will have their media attention. Hibbert isn't doing this against the likes of Memphis, Bulls, Spurs, or any other competitive big man. He's dominating Andersen? Chris Bosh? We all know Chris Bosh can't rebound and is quite soft. He's not proving anything other than he should be dominating them in the first place. If Pacers do manage to win, Hibbert will be exposed against Duncan.

That's even more why post play is so valuable. A guy like Hibbert who would be an average starting center in the 80's and 90's is thrashing the defending champs. Like others have said.. imagine a prime Shaq, Yao, Robinson etc vs this small Heat team?

OceanSpray
05-31-2013, 01:06 AM
That's even more why post play is so valuable. A guy like Hibbert who would be an average starting center in the 80's and 90's is thrashing the defending champs. Like others have said.. imagine a prime Shaq, Yao, Robinson etc vs this small Heat team?

Yeah, but this is regarding Hibbert's "rise". He's not doing anything different this series than he does in the regular season. Rebounding and scoring on the paint are Miami's kryptonite. You can't beat them any other way for 4x in a series. Hibbert is a good player, not great. His post moves are dominating an already obvious loophole in Miami's strategy.

scaramantula
05-31-2013, 01:20 AM
well the pacers may have hibbert, but the raptors still have jermaine o'neal, so yeah...

wait whats that ohhhhhhh... i'll just let myself out

scaramantula
05-31-2013, 01:23 AM
So, whats the nba's rules on tradebacks?

Did indianna remeber to call no backsies?

if not toronto may have a loophole on this one

KingPosey
05-31-2013, 12:20 PM
Potential to be a top three center, but he is not a player you want to center your team around. (No pun intended) I followed Hibbert closely this year (admittedly I had him in fantasy basketball) and my reaction to his season was something like this:

Boggled my mind as he just fell on his face offensively and on the boards early in the season. The really troubling thing was that his FG%, sub 45% as a big man is inexplicable. 2 main reasons were a lingering wrist injury, and he was having a mental break down, or an issue of confidence, or what have you.

Defensively Hibbert has been fairly consistent at a plus rate. At 7'2 he's a top tier interior defender at his best, with his biggest flaw being that he can get pushed around down low too often against a bigger frontcourt.

If you have heard the man talk, he is definitely an intelligent guy. He uses that intelligence to make up for the next fact about him.

As an asthmatic, coaches have to manage his minutes more than they would for most, and its shows up sometimes at the end of games.

People forget that Hibbert was working with Tim Duncan the past couple off seasons, and that work is showing up. Duncan was the perfect guy to work with Hibbert who's best bet is to play with a low-impact, high-efficiency game, similar to Timmy D.

The biggest difference late in the season was he focused on turning the wrist injury into a positive. I cannot overstate how big of a difference him taking more off hand shots has made. He uses it off the boards to get a quicker release on the put-back, and he is eager to use it to surprise guys off the catch or even occasionally off the dribble.

Bottom line, I'm not gonna anoint him the next great big man, but he is definitely an intelligent guy who is working on expanding his game, which is crucial to progressing as a player. In a league that is trending smaller, he can be a great asset for the defensively focused Pacers.
Unless he has super advanced adult asthma problems, it should absolutely be a none factor, as long as he takes his conditioning seriously, and uses maintenance meds for the issue.

NoahH
05-31-2013, 12:24 PM
Is Hibbert really that good or is Bosh / Miami C's just really bad.

KingPosey
05-31-2013, 12:24 PM
LOL. Ya sorry Toronto. We sold you damage goods and got a star center out of it.

For all those who don't watch the Pacers yet think they know Hibberts game please just stop it. We had a terrible coach that destroyed Hibberts game and progression early on. He shot terrible this year due to a bad wrist but he has always been one of the best rim protectors in this league.

Personally I would take Howard's athleticism over Hibbert. I would also take Noah's motor over Hibberts and Lopezs offensive game over Hibbert but I wouldn't take none of them over Hibberts overall game.

He is more of a complete player than all of them and he has a really strong work ethic to boot. Marc Gasol is the only other player that I would want over Hibbert but even that could change by next year.how is he a more complete player than Dwight lol? They have the same exact strengths and similar offensive weaknesses, and DH is better on both ends of the floor, and at the very worst, equal defensive when he is healthy.

Idk where all the sudden hibbert became the most well rounded bigman in the NBA.