PDA

View Full Version : Should Duncan and Pop Retire?

TheScab
05-29-2013, 01:53 PM
If the Spurs win it all (very possible), does Duncan and Pop retire and go out on top as two legends? Or do they wait it out and see if they still have the only powerhouse team going into next year for another ring? There are alot of unanswered questions for the contending teams and their rosters next year (Miami, New York, Lakers, Clippers etc.) Bulls will be getting Rose back at 100 percent hopefully and Westbrook will be returning to the Thunder which would have most likely made the Spurs trip this year alot hard if he was healthy.

Thoughts?

JasonJohnHorn
05-29-2013, 02:00 PM
No. I don't think they would. I think they would want to defend their title next year. but Pop has said more than once that when Duncan retires, he retires. Pop has only coached one season without Duncan, but has coached every year with the Spurs. That would be pretty unique to see a coach retire with having only coached one team. Very few coaches have done that.

Burgo
05-29-2013, 02:07 PM
What you're saying makes sense, but this team just keeps defying time.. No reason not to go another round. I think Duncan and Pop is a real feel good story too. Along with the Admiral they gotta be San Antonio's 3 favorite sons.

kdspurman
05-29-2013, 02:36 PM
I don't think Pop will leave once Duncan does. He seems to enjoy developing and working with his new guys, and from what I've read loves coaching Leonard.

As far as Timmy, well this is what he said in the beginning of the season-

"No, I'm not going anywhere," Duncan said. "I've got nothing to do." And despite being the resident grey beard (there are 10 players on the Spurs training camp roster that were 10 years old or younger at the start of Duncan's rookie season), Tim is still not giving retirement any real consideration. "I was so healthy and I felt so good last year that, no, it really wasn't a thought," says Duncan. "I hope to have another year like that and have another three years like that. The way I felt and the way I was getting up and down - the way I was moving - I have no doubt that I'd play a couple more."

And 3 years ago he said he would play "till the wheels fall off". The fact that at his age he remains one of the premier 2-way bigs in the league, I just don't see him calling it quits.

mjt20mik
05-29-2013, 02:47 PM
He won't stop until his body gives up on him. With the way he's been, and how healthy he is, its looking like he'll be in the league for a couple more years.

Clippersfan86
05-29-2013, 02:55 PM
I don't think they will but I think they SHOULD. We all know how immortalized you get when you retire right after a ring. Especially when you're talking about FIVE rings. Would suck to retire after a 1st or 2nd round exit for example.

LAKobeBryant
05-29-2013, 03:02 PM
Nope duncan is still one of the best players in the league. And post players are distinct. And its pretty much unlimited life to coach a team unless your having health issues then i see pop retiring.

harryharrison
05-29-2013, 03:15 PM
Duncan is one of those guys with little outside interests, but at the same time likes to do things.

So his most viable option right now is to ball.

Minimal
05-29-2013, 03:22 PM
Duncan, Parker, Ginobili they are still one of the best in the league as players, and their team is always on top of west conference, they are not declining, so why would they retire after winning a championship if they can win another one the next year?
They shouldn't retire until the team starts to fall apart.

IversonIsKrazy
05-29-2013, 03:42 PM
Duncan's contract expires end of 2014 season I believe. Question shouldn't be asked until then. How he plays next year will dictate his retirement imo.

bleedprple&gold
05-29-2013, 04:15 PM
Duncan's contract expires end of 2014 season I believe. Question shouldn't be asked until then. How he plays next year will dictate his retirement imo.

Duncan has two more years on his contract (ends in 2015). I believe he will play until then and then call it quits. However, I wish he would retire sooner so we don't have to deal with the Spurs any longer lol

JEDean89
05-29-2013, 07:15 PM
Why wouldn't Duncan want a chance to win a 6th ring, which would be his first back to back (a knock a lot of people say about the spurs is they never won 2 years in a row when comparing dynasties) and a chance to win more than Kobe, solidifying his status of the greatest player of his generation (though I believe he already is) and a chance to be on the same level as Jordan, just a big. He could be the greatest big since Bill Russell and the greatest modern big of all time going back to when the ABA and the NBA merged (did any other big beside Russell win 6 chips?). He would also get a chance to be the first player to win a chip in his rookie year and final year and make the playoffs every year inbetween.

I mean come on, only idiots who watch basketball for dunking and stars don't think the Spurs are the most incredible organization in the NBA. What they have done the last 15 years in unparalleled dominance in any sport, in any sport no one has dominated the league like Timmy and Pop have for the last 15 years. If he wins, 1 more he is beyond a legend, winning 2 more and retiring, he is the Michael Jordan of bigs.

lolbron
05-29-2013, 10:22 PM
absolutely no

ARMIN12NBA
05-29-2013, 10:36 PM
They have never achieved a repeat, which is an incredible feat. Duncan/Pop definitely come back to prove they can defend their title.

Hawkeye15
05-29-2013, 10:47 PM
They have never achieved a repeat, which is an incredible feat. Duncan/Pop definitely come back to prove they can defend their title.

You're back!

Whats up man

ARMIN12NBA
05-29-2013, 10:49 PM
You're back!

Whats up man

A good friend and longtime poster of this site implored me to make a few posts again here and then. You've been doing work (50k posts) since I practically retired from this site in 2010.

Mudvayne91
05-29-2013, 10:51 PM
God, I hope so

Hawkeye15
05-29-2013, 10:52 PM
A good friend and longtime poster of this site implored me to make a few posts again here and then. You've been doing work (50k posts) since I practically retired from this site in 2010.

well, you actually helped me to better understand the game, and I look forward to you being around, if you are interested.

Game on haha

ARMIN12NBA
05-29-2013, 10:56 PM
well, you actually helped me to better understand the game, and I look forward to you being around, if you are interested.

Game on haha

Thanks I appreciate that a lot.

NBA_Starter
05-29-2013, 10:58 PM
If they win it all they should go ahead and retire.

ARMIN12NBA
05-29-2013, 11:02 PM
If they win it all they should go ahead and retire.

Why not attempt to repeat? If they repeat, they would have accomplished everything a franchise could really possibly accomplish.

kArSoN RyDaH
05-29-2013, 11:38 PM
I think a successful title defense would propel Duncan into the top 5 all time especially if he wins MVP in both.

kArSoN RyDaH
05-29-2013, 11:40 PM
I do think they would retire. Why not retire on top and when you're old?

LongWayFromHome
05-30-2013, 01:23 AM
I don't think they will but I think they SHOULD. We all know how immortalized you get when you retire right after a ring. Especially when you're talking about FIVE rings. Would suck to retire after a 1st or 2nd round exit for example.

This concept is incredibly overrated. Do this exercise with yourself: in less than 5 seconds name someone who you think more of because they rode off into the sunset and someone you think less of because they didn't.

MJ is still the greatest ever. Nobody ever talks about John Elway anymore.

LongIslandIcedZ
05-30-2013, 01:28 AM
I dont get why so many people want a still above average player to retire because he wins a ring. If he is good enough to continue playing, and he still wants to, who are we to say he should ride off into the sunset?

He should play as long as he wants, not a game sooner.

akesh99
05-30-2013, 01:54 AM
No way he clearly has a lot left in the tank and Pop will stick around as long as he does

Chrisclover
05-30-2013, 06:53 AM
good point!

If the Spurs win it all (very possible), does Duncan and Pop retire and go out on top as two legends? Or do they wait it out and see if they still have the only powerhouse team going into next year for another ring? There are alot of unanswered questions for the contending teams and their rosters next year (Miami, New York, Lakers, Clippers etc.) Bulls will be getting Rose back at 100 percent hopefully and Westbrook will be returning to the Thunder which would have most likely made the Spurs trip this year alot hard if he was healthy.

Thoughts?

JordansBulls
06-01-2013, 03:07 PM
Duncan probably should, but if he is getting a divorce then he may need to keep his mind occupied.