PDA

View Full Version : Budenholzer as Hawks new coach

Deception
05-28-2013, 06:45 PM
the atlanta hawks hired mike budenholzer as their next head coach tuesday, agreeing to a multiyear contract with the longtime san antonio spurs assistant.

Budenholzer, 43, has been an assistant with the spurs for the past 17 years and been with the organization under coach gregg popovich for 19 years overall. He has a long-term relationship with hawks general manager danny ferry, who played for budenholzer and worked with him as an executive with the spurs.

"he has an incredible basketball acumen and has a keen awareness of the league and what it takes to be successful," ferry said in a statement released by the team. "his experience and four championships over the last 17 years provide a tremendous foundation for his leadership of our team."

the spurs allowed the hawks to interview budenholzer during the playoffs and then gave approval to negotiate a contract with him after they advanced to the nba finals with a victory over the memphis grizzlies on monday night.
- espn

*Silver&Black*
05-28-2013, 07:46 PM
Excited about this. Hopefully Horford is our PF moving forward.

Rndy
05-28-2013, 07:50 PM
Wow that long under Pop? He's gotta be good I just hope the Hawks let this guy rebuild a team. So many coaches get fired during rebuilding never really understood it. You know the team you give them sucks and you're rebuilding but then fire him for not making them contenders in a year or two lol. Hawks were in basketball hell now let them get some lottery picks and talent for a few years to build around. And sit back and enjoy Nets taking their 6-7th seed spot.

*Silver&Black*
05-28-2013, 07:56 PM
I just hope the Hawks let this guy rebuild a team.

I'm sure they will. Danny Ferry comes from the Spurs too, so the GM hiring a Spurs guy will obviously allow him to rebuild this team. Ferry started this past season trading Joe, and now hopefully moving on from Smith.

HowFit
05-28-2013, 08:02 PM
I like this!

MrfadeawayJB
05-28-2013, 08:29 PM
If he's half the coach pops is he'll be great

justinnum1
05-28-2013, 08:31 PM
First thing he will probably want is to get rid of smith

*Silver&Black*
05-28-2013, 08:33 PM
First thing he will probably want is to get rid of smith

He is a free agent. That would be the easy part. :)

kdspurman
05-28-2013, 08:45 PM
I think this is a really good hire. Ferry is going to try and emulate what SA has done in the past. It won't happen over night, but you can tell with his quotes it's more about a program or a system that they're looking to implement, on both ends.

Sam Amick ‏@sam_amick 4h
Hawks GM Danny Ferry to USAT on hiring of Spurs asst Mike Budenholzer: "Smart, been a very important part of Spurs overall program..."

Sam Amick ‏@sam_amick 4h
More Ferry: "...style of play will be system based on both ends." Spurs influence grows again. Great hire.

System based on both ends is something not many teams have, but if they can get the right pieces in place, they could make some noise.

kdspurman
05-28-2013, 08:47 PM
Wow that long under Pop? He's gotta be good I just hope the Hawks let this guy rebuild a team. So many coaches get fired during rebuilding never really understood it. You know the team you give them sucks and you're rebuilding but then fire him for not making them contenders in a year or two lol. Hawks were in basketball hell now let them get some lottery picks and talent for a few years to build around. And sit back and enjoy Nets taking their 6-7th seed spot.

With Ferry's previous relationship with him from SA, I don't see that happening. I'm sure it's possible, but I highly doubt that. First thing is to get the right pieces in place, and getting them to buy into the system, and be team first guys.

galamabx
05-28-2013, 10:34 PM
You know the team you give them sucks and you're rebuilding but then fire him for not making them contenders in a year or two lol.http://www.gmum.info/5j1.jpg

Rndy
05-29-2013, 01:35 AM
Hell even if they give Smith a 200 million dollar contract Nets will probably try and work out a trade for it. Who he's making a lot of money does he fit our scheme eh **** it we'll keep getting players that have had success and put them all together regardless of their system success