PDA

View Full Version : Who was better in the WC?

Enzy
05-28-2013, 04:21 PM
Spurs somehow swept the Grizzlies in mostly close games. Half went to OT. The only team in the West to put up a W against SAS was GSW. As a GS fan, I gotta wonder- did the Spurs have to step it up to sweep the Grizz or do you think they played with the same level of intensity? Were the match-ups simply more favorable or did Pop out-coach Hollins? Did Z-Bo hit a cold streak or did the Spurs shut him down? I watched most of this series but not with the same interest, obviously, that I watched GSW/SAS. What are you thoughts? Was GSW a tougher opponent than MEM?

kdspurman
05-28-2013, 04:34 PM
Totally different kind of matchup, and it took SA a couple games to figure out their game plan against the Warriors.

Once the Spurs figured out the W's, they ultimately held their own. (Outside of Game 4 where the Spurs had historically their worst shooting game in nearly 20 years).

Game 2, Klay shot the hell out of the ball in the first half. The rest of that series though, he was virtually non-existent once Kawhi went on him, and Danny Green started to do a great job of bothering Curry. Curry also in the last couple games was not himself, probably due to his ankle.

But I think it was a tough team to game plan for because of the great shooters. Pop adjusted as the series went on with his adjustments, and how to attack and get Parker better shots with Klay on him, how to defend Curry off P&R's, etc...

With the Grizzlies, the Spurs knew how they would defend Zach Randolph, stemming back to the 2011 series between the 2. Tim said since then, they knew how they needed and wanted to defend them, and they were able to execute that game plan from the start. They didn't need a game or 2 to figure it out.

slaker619
05-28-2013, 04:45 PM
Honestly Spurs playing with o.d heart & that never giving up attitude & these other teams came in thinking they were gonna win cause of age difference

Enzy
05-28-2013, 04:48 PM
With the Grizzlies, the Spurs knew how they would defend Zach Randolph, stemming back to the 2011 series between the 2. Tim said since then, they knew how they needed and wanted to defend them, and they were able to execute that game plan from the start. They didn't need a game or 2 to figure it out.

Great point. I was surprised how well you guys handled the Grizzlies' size, even with a solid gameplan. I saw the series going to six or seven without a clear favorite. I, uh, underestimated the Spurs eve though I was (and am) pulling for them... just because I want the Warriors to have lost to the best team. Lends us more credibility. Good luck against the EC champs! Also, gotta say that you're a class act, kdspurman. I was reading through these forums during our series and I felt you outclassed more than a few Dubs fans out here.

kdspurman
05-28-2013, 05:17 PM
Great point. I was surprised how well you guys handled the Grizzlies' size, even with a solid gameplan. I saw the series going to six or seven without a clear favorite. I, uh, underestimated the Spurs eve though I was (and am) pulling for them... just because I want the Warriors to have lost to the best team. Lends us more credibility. Good luck against the EC champs! Also, gotta say that you're a class act, kdspurman. I was reading through these forums during our series and I felt you outclassed more than a few Dubs fans out here.

Thanks man, I appreciate that. :cheers: I was a little surprised too, but once Game 1 ended, it seemed inevitable the problems the Grizz were going to have. In fact, that was the main concern people had, was whether they had enough firepower to score the ball if they met Miami in the finals. It just shows the importance of needing guys who can shoot the ball from the perimeter to space it out for Z-Bo and Co.

I definitely hope we can pull it off this year. Miami or Indy present 2 different kinds of challenges. Parker seems to be determined to get Timmy 1 more title. It should be exciting.

MrfadeawayJB
05-28-2013, 08:28 PM
Grizz had trouble with the spurs mainly because of 1 reason: ball movement. We all know the grizz are good for about 90 Pts a game. Usually the defense is good enough to limit the opponents scoring. Spurs ball movement and p&r gave Memphis fits.