PDA

View Full Version : Steve Clifford reachs agreement to become the Charlotte coach

king4day
05-27-2013, 06:09 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

Lakers assistant Steve Clifford has reached an agreement in principle to become the Charlotte coach, league sources tell Y! Sports.

https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA

Can Laker fans shed any light on him?

AWC713
05-27-2013, 06:14 PM
never heard of him...but "Steve clifford" sounds like a name that will be fired in 18 months. book it.

EDIT: his only experience as a head coach is w/ a div II school....so he'll be fired in no more than 12 months

D-Leethal
05-27-2013, 06:16 PM
Talk about a dead end job.

rocket
05-27-2013, 06:19 PM
Guaranteed he's fired at the end of the year.

Kuya_Clive
05-27-2013, 06:25 PM
"Steve Clifford" sounds like a name created by a nickname generator.

jimm120
05-27-2013, 06:29 PM
Didn't someone JUST get this job last year???? wtf? I remember Ewing vying for it and some amatur league coach got the job instead....and now there's a new coach? That was quick......didn't know the new coach had been fired

soundjunkies2
05-27-2013, 06:39 PM
He's suppose to be a defense guy. He worked under both Van Gundy brothers. Unfortunately we could never see what he could do once D'antoni was hired since his focus was primarily on the offense.

Lab Rat Robby
05-27-2013, 06:54 PM
yikes! bobcats please throw a blank check at somebody and get better. brad stevens? or at least get somebodies protoge. pitino or izzo or coach k assistant? brian shaw? just, yikes!?!

ManRam
05-27-2013, 07:01 PM
Can Laker fans shed any light on him?

he's a long time magic assistant. stan van gundy loved him, the players loved him, and he was very well respected. i've always been a big fan. defensively he should definitely turn things around at least a little bit.

if he's half as good as SVG then charlotte has a nice upgrade.

dalton749
05-27-2013, 07:08 PM
clifford the big red bobcat

ManRam
05-27-2013, 07:09 PM
never heard of him...but "Steve clifford" sounds like a name that will be fired in 18 months. book it.

EDIT: his only experience as a head coach is w/ a div II school....so he'll be fired in no more than 12 months

kinda a dumb comment.

every head coach in the nba was once an NBA head coach without NBA head-coaching experience. :laugh2: not sure what your point is. he's been an assistant for a long time under some very good coaches.

spo had less experience. rivers had like zero experience before landing in orlando. mark jackson had no experience. adelman had less at the time he was first hired as a head coach.

he's no unlike spo, vogel, thibs, brooks and even popovich and probably many more in terms of experience before their first jobs.

DoMeFavors
05-27-2013, 07:53 PM
Knowing the bobcats he will probably be fired after the season

Why are the Cats so cheap that they hire a new coach every year and names that nobody knows. Get a proven head coach and give your fans something to cheer about.

THE MTL
05-27-2013, 08:00 PM
Coaching job at the Bobcats is a revolving door.

DreamShaker
05-27-2013, 08:32 PM
MJ is trolling Ewing with this hire. Lol

Actually, I trust ManRam saying it is a good hire. He is in a tough situation, though. It is the Bobcats.

DreamShaker
05-27-2013, 08:38 PM
Knowing the bobcats he will probably be fired after the season

Why are the Cats so cheap that they hire a new coach every year and names that nobody knows. Get a proven head coach and give your fans something to cheer about.

They did have Larry Brown. They can hire any coach they want, but they need TALENT. Gerald Wallace is the best player they have ever had. Now they have probably the most depressing talent pool in the NBA.

KiNgSuNs1
05-27-2013, 08:52 PM
I dont get why people want to talk trash in each thread. Just talk about the thread topic or move on.

king4day
05-27-2013, 09:16 PM
I'm reading Clifford has very good potential. Well respected around the league.
He was a finalist for the Bucks job too but the 'Cats didn't let him go for his second interview.

For those saying Charlotte's coaching job is a revolving door, the below piece from ESPN's article seems to at least explain Dunlap's firing:

Dunlap struggled at times with game management, transitioning from the college game to the NBA and handling professional athletes, often benching veteran players for weeks at a time after they'd irritated him in some way.

c.c.
05-27-2013, 09:34 PM
He will be getting interviewed by someone else soon

ManRam
05-27-2013, 09:50 PM
MJ is trolling Ewing with this hire. Lol

Actually, I trust ManRam saying it is a good hire. He is in a tough situation, though. It is the Bobcats.

it's hard to know much about assistant coaches, but i was always scratching my head when ewing rumors would pop up instead of clifford ones. always got the impression from everything and everyone around the magic that clifford was far more invaluable.

Sadds The Gr8
05-27-2013, 10:05 PM
Who?

Teeboy1487
05-27-2013, 10:33 PM
I think it's better serve judging him in his Orlando years. His year with the Lakers was too crazy to evaluate.

JerseyPalahniuk
05-27-2013, 11:09 PM
kinda a dumb comment.

every head coach in the nba was once an NBA head coach without NBA head-coaching experience. :laugh2: not sure what your point is. he's been an assistant for a long time under some very good coaches.

spo had less experience. rivers had like zero experience before landing in orlando. mark jackson had no experience. adelman had less at the time he was first hired as a head coach.

he's no unlike spo, vogel, thibs, brooks and even popovich and probably many more in terms of experience before their first jobs.

:clap:

Hope his defensive mentality pans out. Thought Dunlap had been doing well developing but I can understand why management would be frustrated by what you quoted king4day. I thought Bobcats were on an upswing after that great start, but anything can happen over a long season. Let's hope their draft pick this year fits in well with their roster.