PDA

View Full Version : Eric Spoelstra, lucky or terrific?

Chrisclover
05-27-2013, 11:33 AM
when i am playing 2k13, the hosts always said that Spoelstra worked really hard ,which he rose from an intern, starting as a video recorder.
my question is, how good is he? you know , even Phil ,a HOF coach, will sometimes be considered a luck guy other than the best coach ever. He definitely is lucky , with MJ ,Pippen, Kobe, Shaq playing for him. Remember? Lakers got swept in his last coaching year. Some people just question his ability to make immediate response
and now Spoelstra has BIG 3 and Ray Allen and so many ring-chasers in the years to come
can Spoelstra stand the test of time?

hugepatsfan
05-27-2013, 11:34 AM
Both. He's a good coach but he got put in an awesome situation.

justinnum1
05-27-2013, 11:37 AM
Top 10 coach for sure.

ryang
05-27-2013, 11:42 AM
I can't stand spo. Love the Heat but spo to me is beyond over rated. Before the big 3 players like wade would make subs on his own. He'd walk right past spo and tell UD to get off the bench. Personally I think he makes the game harder on us then it should be. His subs half the time are piss poor. But hey we're winning so I guess he's alright. Just saying there's plenty of coaches who could succeed with this team.

KnicksorBust
05-27-2013, 11:43 AM
I'm usually very worried when an OP starts with "when I am playing nba2k..." :laugh:

but I agree with HugePatsFan here. He's a hard worker. I actually saw him at a coaches clinic a year and a half ago just taking notes like the rest of us. The guy is dedicated. The roster helps a little too...

SlimKid
05-27-2013, 11:47 AM
Lucky for his situation, but still good nonetheless.

flea
05-27-2013, 11:58 AM
He's certainly in the top half of coaches, but having the best player in the game, the best shooting guard in the game, and a top 5 power forward doesn't hurt.

ManRam
05-27-2013, 12:00 PM
both. the "luck" card can be played with most great coaches and even great players. it definitely is hard to value his true worth considering the roster he has, but he does a great job with it. if for no other reason than the fact that he got a team that had nothing to gain in the regular season to run off a historic win streak. motivation is huge, and i think he's shown he's pretty good at that.

any coach, be it with a good or bad roster, is hard to really evaluate when they've only coached one similar roster. we don't know enough about their x's and o's, about what happens on the practice court or in the tape room. we don't know even close to what's needed to actually know if these guys are great, or merely just really good.

OceanSpray
05-27-2013, 12:18 PM
He's certainly in the top half of coaches, but having the best player in the game, the best shooting guard in the game, and a top 5 power forward doesn't hurt.

Wade isn't the best SG and Bosh certainly isn't a top 5 PF. I get what you mean though. I think there are much better coaches than Spo. I wouldn't consider replacing him at all since Miami is doing a great job under him. However, he makes a lot of fans scratch their heads often. Some decisions just make no sense.

flea
05-27-2013, 01:03 PM
How on earth is Bosh not a top 5 PF? Aldridge and Duncan are the only ones objectively better. After those 2 it's a bunch of flawed players - Bosh included - but at least Bosh has a good all-around game (most of the good PFs are huge liabilities defensively).

Fine if you want to still put Kobe ahead of Wade, but personally I'd take Wade.

PhillyFaninLA
05-27-2013, 01:10 PM
D'Antonio shows that you can lose with proven superstars.

Spo isn't great or special but he is a solid coach. He does a good enough job keeping the wheels on the bus and guiding the team but he isn't leading it like a great.

slaker619
05-27-2013, 01:19 PM
He has a really great story & is a true hard worker

Burgo
05-27-2013, 01:47 PM
I don't think you can tell how good he is until he coaches in a bad situation. If he's still in Miami when the big 3 are all elsewhere, then we'll know if he's good or lucky.

ManRam
05-27-2013, 01:52 PM
I don't think you can tell how good he is until he coaches in a bad situation. If he's still in Miami when the big 3 are all elsewhere, then we'll know if he's good or lucky.

he did pretty admirable his first two seasons as miami's head coach.

yes, he had a prime wade, but after wade there was really nothing at all on that team. they averaged 45 wins those two seasons. i think he got them to overachieve.

PacersForLife
05-27-2013, 01:59 PM
I think it's a combination of both. He seems like he knows his stuff when you hear him talk, but not sure how good he would be without the big 3.

Teeboy1487
05-27-2013, 02:04 PM
He's underrated in my opinion. I think this year has shown how good of a coach he is. I think he has earned the respect of that locker room and he's good with making in game adjustments. I also think his out of bounds plays after timeouts are as good as it gets. He's one of the best at that. I think he is most definitely a top 10 coach right now.

OldStyleCubbies
05-27-2013, 02:07 PM
Luckiest coach in sports.

JasonJohnHorn
05-27-2013, 02:09 PM
People need to realize how quickly the tide can turn for a coach. While folks are a lot quicker to fire coaches these days (I look at Byron Scott getting fired in Cleveland as an example; the guy has so many injuries this year), even championship winning coaches were given shot leashes back in the day. Paul Westhead won a title in his first season with the Lakers. The following season was a first-round exit and the next season only saw him reach ten games into the season. Bill Fitch won a title with the Celtics. Two years later he was out of a job. Billy Cunningham had a similar situation. He took the 76ers to a championship in 83, the 85 season was his last, despite reaching the eastern conference finals that year. The 76ers, and Lakers and Celtics were all super teams during that time, and each had to earn every win. The coaches had unreal expectations, and despite great success, each struggled to keep their job. Cunningham never worked as a head coach again. Westhead only coached 3 more seasons despite having a championship team on his resume. Fitch still had a few jobs after the Celtics (which he technically resigned from). He coached the Rockets to the finals, but when his tenure in Houston was done he struggled to find good jobs and settled for coaching the Nets and the Clippers, neither of whom ever reached .500 while he was coaching.

With the Heat there are high expectations. Had the Heat not won last year, Spo would not even have a job right now. If they lose this year, there will be a lot of pressure on him to have a great start to the season next year. If he has a two year drought with LBJ, Wade and Bosh on his team, regardless of circumstances, he will be out of a job. With the contracts these guys signed, there is potentially a very small window as free agency may shake up the roster significantly.

Is Spo great? or lucky? We need at least a couple more seasons to tell, and likely, depending on how his luck continues, a couple more coaching gigs as well.

C-Wick925
05-27-2013, 02:25 PM
Gives stern handjobs so stern let him coach the next made dynasty

still1ballin
05-27-2013, 02:27 PM
Top 10 coach for sure.

Wow! Heat fans rip Spo after every loss with his rotations and decision making and now he is a top 10 coach

:laugh2:

Minimal
05-27-2013, 02:28 PM
Both. If a guy like Pat Riley has trust in you to coach a team like Miami, you can say he is pretty good.

Cubby
05-27-2013, 02:32 PM
His defense relies almost entirely on the athleticism of his players and he rarely makes the appropriate adjustments that could ultimately decide games. Their offense is relatively simple most of the time in that it's a drive and kick out to shooters offense, unless they have an open lane.

In his defense, they are systems that work and keep them at the top, but if Miami had a coach that could scheme around their talents and athleticism, build legitimate systems on both sides of the ball, and make solid adjustments to the opposing team, they would be SCARY good. Currently, they are a predictable team that essentially "out-talents" other teams, which I suppose works for them, but they'd be a lot better if they had even a decent coach.

Spo is okay, but he lacks the ability to build systems around his players and thrives off of having the most talented roster in the league.

Knick_Fever
05-27-2013, 02:42 PM
I'll put it this way, you or I can coach that team and still win a championship.

justinnum1
05-27-2013, 02:49 PM
Top 10 coach for sure.

Wow! Heat fans rip Spo after every loss with his rotations and decision making and now he is a top 10 coach

:laugh2:

Find one quote where I ripped spo. I will wait.

Tmath
05-27-2013, 02:49 PM
He hit the lottery

justinnum1
05-27-2013, 02:52 PM
I'll put it this way, you or I can coach that team and still win a championship.

You couldn't coach a group of middle school kids.

HesterJordan23
05-27-2013, 02:58 PM

+1

HesterJordan23
05-27-2013, 03:01 PM
Pat Riley=Puppeteer
Spo=puppet

still1ballin
05-27-2013, 03:03 PM
Find one quote where I ripped spo. I will wait.

I said "heat fans"

The majority dislike Spo for his terrible basketball decisions and rip him at least once during every game, especially when they lose.

MrfadeawayJB
05-27-2013, 03:51 PM

Lmao

D-Leethal
05-27-2013, 03:54 PM
I think hes underrated. Pat Riley doesn't show devoted faith in you unless he sees a top notch coach - and he knows a top notch coach.

ManRam
05-27-2013, 04:07 PM

can you elaborate. i know there are some wild stern-conspiracies, but this one i new to me. assuming you are indeed saying that stern manufactured this team

naps
05-27-2013, 04:15 PM
Not a fan of his coaching by any means but he's done a terrific job of holding some huge egos together. Never easy to mesh bunch of superstars together to play as a team and eradicate that "me-first" mentality from them. He proved he can get it done and if he keeps winning then he should have his place amongst the games elite coaches of all-time. I mean if you think so high of Phil Jackson then you can't fault Spo for having the best talents in the game.

D-Leethal
05-27-2013, 04:35 PM
I think its easy to dissect any coaches decisions and make him look like a bonehead. If some coaches didn't have the rep they had, I think you would see guys like Pop get dissected but their rep forces people to look past it.

I mean in the Bulls forum people was bashing Thibs for certain decisions this year and things like not playing Lou Amundson.

Its connected to the 'grass is greener' mentality, when you lose a game, certain decisions the coaches made get microanalyzed on the assumption that the alternative would have made a difference. Most of the time when you get beat handily, your gonna get beat no matter what buttons the coach presses.

'In coaching sometimes there are no right answers'

C-Wick925
05-27-2013, 05:01 PM
can you elaborate. i know there are some wild stern-conspiracies, but this one i new to me. assuming you are indeed saying that stern manufactured this team

lmao, Was just talkin out my *** really.. Have the urge to post something stupid in the nba forum every few days

Raps18-19 Champ
05-27-2013, 05:49 PM
You don't make your way from the bottom to the top without being a hard worker.

I don't think he's a great coach though, but good enough to have an NBA job.

h2r09
05-27-2013, 06:39 PM
Filipino Jackson? Great coach who the players like and isnt afraid of anything and puts that mindset in his teams.

Great job.

Dade County
05-27-2013, 07:14 PM
He worked hard to get where he is... But he is learning fast that the NBA is more entertainment then sport. I know when he goes home some nights, he must ask himself is this worth it.

Having to deal with Pat, Stern, refs, Lbj & Ceo's of of certain television companies. He must have felt so crazy inside having to deal with the pain of giving up a championship to Dallas.

So, I can only see him as a puppet.

Knick_Fever
05-27-2013, 07:33 PM

lol, thats the point.

BALLER R
05-27-2013, 07:43 PM
How is he overrated?

WOwolfOL
05-27-2013, 08:25 PM
I don't think people know what to make of him, really. He's definitely not overrated. Even most Heat fans acknowledge that he's more of a caretaker than a man who can really will his team to victory. That said, have you ever seen him listed among the best? I haven't. I think he's pretty good. As a Bulls fan, whose team has come out and won the first game of our last 2 series against them only to lose the next four, I can't help but feel like he's made some adjustments that helped that happen. I think he's a good coach and is going to have a ton of success and pretty much get no credit. Therefore I think he's underrated, in a sense.

ryang
05-27-2013, 09:16 PM
Riley helps spo with his adjustments. Let us lose the next two and Riley will cancel practice. He is not under rated. I love the Heat. Always have but I'm not blind to his short comings. But hey if we keep winning we can't call him a bad coach I guess. Imagine pop coaching this team? Wow. You'd notice a difference.

c.c.
05-27-2013, 09:31 PM
He's an hard worker but let's face it, he's quite lucky to have the big 3

ArmLaker
05-28-2013, 02:41 AM

Kobe Bryant plays for the LA Lakers genius.

jerellh528
05-28-2013, 02:44 AM
Not a fan of his coaching by any means but he's done a terrific job of holding some huge egos together. Never easy to mesh bunch of superstars together to play as a team and eradicate that "me-first" mentality from them. He proved he can get it done and if he keeps winning then he should have his place amongst the games elite coaches of all-time. I mean if you think so high of Phil Jackson then you can't fault Spo for having the best talents in the game.

Elite coaches of all time? :laugh: This dude ^ never ceases to amaze me with his posts lol.

Cubby
05-28-2013, 02:48 AM
Kobe Bryant plays for the LA Lakers genius.

Only a small group of Lakers fans actually think this. LeBron, as much as I kind of dislike the guy (at least on the court), is the best player on the planet... and it isn't even close.

rex.reyesiii
05-28-2013, 02:53 AM
I bet Nikki Sap thinks (http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2013/03/12/erik-spoelstra-girlfriend-miami-heat-dancer/1981505/), he's lucky and teriffic too.

ArmLaker
05-28-2013, 03:05 AM
Only a small group of Lakers fans actually think this. LeBron, as much as I kind of dislike the guy (at least on the court), is the best player on the planet... and it isn't even close.

I meant to highlight "having the best shooting guard in the game" part lol. As for being the best in the game, call me crazy I still think he is :hide:

chitownredbulls
05-28-2013, 03:17 AM
He ain't all that....he was the rat to blame if the big 3 didn't work out...they would have said it was his fault n they did....who wouldn't be able to coach the big 3???? Mike brown could prob coach them just as well...his game plan is, give the ball to lebron lol

jam
05-28-2013, 05:24 AM
This is stupid beyond belief.

He worked hard to get where he is... But he is learning fast that the NBA is more entertainment then sport. I know when he goes home some nights, he must ask himself is this worth it.

Having to deal with Pat, Stern, refs, Lbj & Ceo's of of certain television companies. He must have felt so crazy inside having to deal with the pain of giving up a championship to Dallas.

So, I can only see him as a puppet.

Cubby
05-28-2013, 12:43 PM
I meant to highlight "having the best shooting guard in the game" part lol. As for being the best in the game, call me crazy I still think he is :hide:

He probably was the best SG in the game this season (at least before the Achilles tear), but LeBron is superior in nearly every statistical category. He's a more efficient scorer, better and more versatile defender, better rebounder, better at running an offense...

The main thing Kobe has over LeBron is the ability to make absolute circus shots, but I'm not taking him over LeBron, and I love Kobe.

The Flash
05-28-2013, 12:50 PM
He ain't all that....he was the rat to blame if the big 3 didn't work out...they would have said it was his fault n they did....who wouldn't be able to coach the big 3???? Mike brown could prob coach them just as well...his game plan is, give the ball to lebron lol
Mike Brown had Kobe, Dwight,Nash and Gasol, D'antoni too.

8kobe24
05-28-2013, 01:25 PM

and you could?

Delrayhc
05-28-2013, 01:58 PM
Luckiest coach in sports.

You got that right!