PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Hornacek agrees to coach Suns

king4day
05-26-2013, 11:01 PM
Jeff Hornacek has agreed in principle to become the next head coach of the Phoenix Suns, sources confirmed to ESPN.com.

Hornacek, who had a 14-year career as an NBA player and recently served as an assistant with the Utah Jazz, will sign a three-year deal as early as Sunday night to join the Suns, according to sources.

The 50-year-old Hornacek also had interviewed for the vacant Charlotte Bobcats head coaching job. However, the Suns began negotiating a deal Sunday with Hornacek, who has maintained a home in the Phoenix area.

A fan favorite as a Suns player, Hornacek will attempt to help Phoenix rebound from one of the worst seasons in franchise history.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9312978/jeff-hornacek-agrees-become-phoenix-suns-head-coach-according-sources

I really don't know much about him as a coach (didn't even know he was coaching until I heard the candidates this offseason.
Since there was never a thread about the Suns hiring McDonough as GM (underrated move that wasn't talked about), I wanted to at least get some attention for the Suns in the NBA forum.

bigsams50
05-26-2013, 11:12 PM
I like it personally. Good player, knows the game of basketball well. Good signing in my opinion

KniCks4LiFe
05-26-2013, 11:50 PM
damn :pity:

jimm120
05-26-2013, 11:55 PM
All I keep reading when these types of news come out is that Patrick Ewing STILL isn't a coach :(

Hellcrooner
05-27-2013, 12:14 AM
Well.

If he is able to implement as a coach the intelligence he had as a player, watch out.

KniCks4LiFe
05-27-2013, 12:20 AM
Jeff went to Iowa State, Mark Jackson went to St. Johns, Zeke went to IU, how the hell Patrick Ewing Georgetown education still can't get a head coaching position.

Hellcrooner
05-27-2013, 12:25 AM
Jeff went to Iowa State, Mark Jackson went to St. Johns, Zeke went to IU, how the hell Patrick Ewing Georgetown education still can't get a head coaching position.

Maybe he is not good?

Check Magic Johnsons coaching career for example, not all players no matter how good they were make good coaches.

KniCks4LiFe
05-27-2013, 12:28 AM
Maybe he is not good?

Check Magic Johnsons coaching career for example, not all players no matter how good they were make good coaches.

Magic Johnson was Magic Johnson. Homie wasn't all x's and o's. I'm saying Ewing has paid more dues. And he comes from a better education platform.

OceanSpray
05-27-2013, 01:01 AM
There are far better options than Ewing or Hornacek.

DreamShaker
05-27-2013, 12:04 PM
Hopefully the Suns start to turn things around, and hopefully these moves help jumpstart that. Jeff was a smart, tough player who learned under a great coach in Utah, so he might very well end up a great hire.

greg_ory_2005
05-27-2013, 12:14 PM
Congrats to him. Interested to see what style he'll decide to use with those guys.

todu82
05-27-2013, 12:59 PM
Congrats to Hornacek, if he's as good a coach as he was a player the Suns made the right choice.

Jint.
05-27-2013, 01:10 PM
this belongs in the Hornacek forum

Lab Rat Robby
05-27-2013, 02:25 PM
i like the signing. hornacek spent so much time around sloan, as player and assistant.

i think that's a really good apprenticeship. i think the suns roster is better than last years record. so i think the suns will give some hell next year. poor lakers, they've got the clipps and warriors turning it around on them already. now the suns? kobe might want to pull a d rose next year. lol!