PDA

View Full Version : Tony Allen fined $5,000 for overacting on Ginobili foul

spreadeagle
05-24-2013, 05:54 PM
In Hollywood, they call that chewing up the scenery.

Memphis guard Tony Allen has been fined $5,000 by the league for his overacting ó technically violating the leagueís anti-flopping policy ó on that play.

Make no mistake, Manu Ginobili fouled Allen hard on this crucial late-game play ó the Grizzlies were down four with :26 seconds left (Allen hit the free throws and then Memphis got the ball out of bounds and Mike Conley tied the game on that possession). We can debate whether or not that is a flagrant ó I think itís a hard foul but if you want to say he knocked an airborne player off balance putting him in danger and that should be a flagrant, you can make a good case.

What is not up for debate is that Allen didnít hit his head on the floor but sold this call big time. He grabbed his head like he landed on it. Which he clearly does not. It was overacting that really only William Shatner can appreciate.

Did that impact the referees decision in saying it was a flagrant? I donít know. But I do know at this stage of the playoffs there are plenty of players willing to risk a $5,000 fine from the league to make sure they get a crucial late game call. Video http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/24/tony-allen-fined-5000-for-overacting-on-ginobili-foul/

kdspurman
05-24-2013, 05:56 PM
Officials should be equally as responsible for falling for it after watching the replay!

spreadeagle
05-24-2013, 05:56 PM
So ridiculous, he even waves off the guys trying to help him up because of how "hurt" he is lol

Hawkeye15
05-24-2013, 05:57 PM
Officials should be equally as responsible for falling for it after watching the replay!

your sig is amazing

SportsFanatic10
05-24-2013, 06:04 PM
good that was an absolute disgrace. flopping is bad enough but faking a serious injury is beyond pathetic, i kinda wish he got fined alot more.

jerellh528
05-24-2013, 06:06 PM
5000 is car seat change to these guys. If will impact the game in their favor I'm sure any player would do it again.

TRF929
05-24-2013, 06:14 PM
If they really want to stop flopping you can't have fines that low. Make it $50000 for flopping and guys will really think twice about doing it

jerellh528
05-24-2013, 06:19 PM
If they really want to stop flopping you can't have fines that low. Make it $50000 for flopping and guys will really think twice about doing it

should be 1 5000, 2 25000, 3 50000, 4 or more suspend 1 game

TylerSL
05-24-2013, 06:51 PM
He should be fined $50,000 and suspended for Game 3 for that garbage, and the officials that kept it a flagerant should not be allowed to ref again this postseason.

TylerSL
05-24-2013, 06:53 PM
should be 1 5000, 2 25000, 3 50000, 4 or more suspend 1 game

I think they should drastically increase the punishment for continued flopping as you have shown, however, I also believe that they should set the fine based on how bad the flop is, and what impact it has on the game. The Spurs were literally almost robbed with this which, IMHO warrents a suspension of Tony Allen.

I also believe the refs that kept it a flagerant should be done for the year, it literally is cheating.

kdspurman
05-24-2013, 06:58 PM
your sig is amazing

Thanks man. I thought it was hilarious when I saw it

LAKobeBryant
05-24-2013, 07:01 PM
officials are bigger blame for that play. they had replays to watch.

TylerSL
05-24-2013, 07:13 PM
I think we should set fines/suspensions based on how bad/obvious the flop is, and what impact it has one the game.

If it is a normal flop that doesnt have an impact on the game, in the regular season.
1st offense-$10,000 fine
2nd offense-$50,000 fine
3rd offense-$50,000 fine, 1 game suspension
4th offense-$75,000 fine, 2 game suspension
5th offense-$100,000 fine, 3 game suspension
each and all offenses past that-$150,000 fine, 5 game suspension.

Playoff floping offenses that doesnt have an impact on the game
1st offense-$10,000 fine, 1 game suspension
2nd offense-$50,000 fine, 2 game suspension
each and all offenses past that-$100,000 fine, 3 game suspension

Flopping that has an impact in the final outcome of games in the regular season
1st offense-$25,000 fine
2nd offense $50,000 fine, 1 game suspension
each and all offenses past that-$100,000 fine, 3 game suspension.

Flopping that has an impact in the final outcome of games in the playoffs (this is what Tony Allen did)
1st offense-$50,000 fine, 1 game suspension
each and all offenses past that-$100,000 fine, suspension for the remainder of any playoff series, or a set amount of games determined by the league (as in a flop during Game 7 you cant really suspend somebody for the rest of the series). It is this severe because in a best of 7 series, if you possibly cheat a team out of 2 games, thats 1/2 the series.

I intially stated that to really end flopping the NBA needs to just stop calling fouls. The players started flopping because the refs blow the whistle so much. So, if the refs stopped blowing the whistle, guys would stop trying to get them to. I still believe that, but I have resigned myself to the decision that the league will never do that, and instead, take the players money. I dont even think the league enforces the flopping rule at all, as the Clippers flopped like crazy against the Grizzlies and they didnt get any fines. So if this is how the league intends to deal with flopping, this would fix the problem.

and if any officials call a flagerant on an obvious flop, and keep it after reviewing a replay of it :facepalm: then the officials should also see a suspension.

kenzo400
05-24-2013, 07:29 PM
He should be fined $50,000 and suspended for Game 3 for that garbage, and the officials that kept it a flagerant should not be allowed to ref again this postseason.

If flopping was actually judged fairly for all NBA players and this 50,000 dollar rule was upheld, Lebron would be broke now.

--23--
05-24-2013, 07:30 PM
Fining players for flops in the playoffs won't do anything especially if it's at a crucial moment in the game, it should be an automatic suspension imo.

Iron24th
05-24-2013, 07:32 PM
It was a ridiculous from allen, no doubt.

Check this out

http://youtu.be/XCxqnyUBEXo

Not the first time for him, Tony allen is good at it

MrfadeawayJB
05-24-2013, 07:33 PM
Knew this was coming. But hey, that's really the first time I've seen him "flop". He's not near as bad as most nba players

Iron24th
05-24-2013, 07:33 PM
It was a ridiculous from allen, no doubt.

Check this out

http://youtu.be/XCxqnyUBEXo

Not the first time for him, Tony allen is good at it

kdspurman
05-24-2013, 07:36 PM
Knew this was coming. But hey, that's really the first time I've seen him "flop". He's not near as bad as most nba players

After this happened, I saw like 2 other pretty bad ones from him. (Iron24th just posted a link right before your post actually)

I didn't think he was, but I guess he does it too lol

Ipushkidsdown
05-24-2013, 07:41 PM
the first time i saw the play I thought Manu threw to the ground I was shock I would never think he would pull something like that. watching the replay and seeing allen brace his fall well before he hit the deck and flop around like a fish. its a good thing the nba is using replays no matter how slow the results take

MrfadeawayJB
05-24-2013, 07:43 PM

After this happened, I saw like 2 other pretty bad ones from him. (Iron24th just posted a link right before your post actually)

Yeah everyone does it a bit. I meant more so on the offensive end which usually result in ft attempts. I've seen more "flopping" or selling calls than I wanted to this postseason from the likes of CP3, Griffin, Kevin Martin, Durant, and the occasional Manu and Parker shenanigans

TylerSL
05-24-2013, 07:44 PM
If flopping was actually judged fairly for all NBA players and this 50,000 dollar rule was upheld, Lebron would be broke now.

no he wouldnt but he would have some fines.

Iron24th
05-24-2013, 07:46 PM

It was a chris bosh-like!

kdspurman
05-24-2013, 07:59 PM
Yeah everyone does it a bit. I meant more so on the offensive end which usually result in ft attempts. I've seen more "flopping" or selling calls than I wanted to this postseason from the likes of CP3, Griffin, Kevin Martin, Durant, and the occasional Manu and Parker shenanigans

Oh. Well those don't happen as much cause he's a defensive guy first, & probably doesn't have the ball enough to do it lol.

kdspurman
05-24-2013, 07:59 PM
It was a chris bosh-like!

Yea, and it may have been worse than Bosh's

kenzo400
05-24-2013, 08:01 PM
no he wouldnt but he would have some fines.

He would and so would half the superstars in the league. Blake Griffin is the best example. He would be in debt by now. The NBA isn't interested in fining superstars for this kind of stuff. The NBA front office just wants to look legitimate by fining role players for flopping.

That's why the flopping fines instituted are pretty silly. We all know that no superstars will get fined for this kind of stuff. I guess at least it makes the regular season a little better.

Slug3
05-24-2013, 08:04 PM
officials are bigger blame for that play. they had replays to watch.

I agree. Looking at it full speed and if I was a ref I would think "damn lets check it out". After looking at all the replays and seeing he nece hit his head. I would have called it a regular foul.

JoeBlessU
05-24-2013, 08:19 PM
I think we should set fines/suspensions based on how bad/obvious the flop is, and what impact it has one the game.

If it is a normal flop that doesnt have an impact on the game, in the regular season.
1st offense-$10,000 fine
2nd offense-$50,000 fine
3rd offense-$50,000 fine, 1 game suspension
4th offense-$75,000 fine, 2 game suspension
5th offense-$100,000 fine, 3 game suspension
each and all offenses past that-$150,000 fine, 5 game suspension.

Playoff floping offenses that doesnt have an impact on the game
1st offense-$10,000 fine, 1 game suspension
2nd offense-$50,000 fine, 2 game suspension
each and all offenses past that-$100,000 fine, 3 game suspension

Flopping that has an impact in the final outcome of games in the regular season
1st offense-$25,000 fine
2nd offense $50,000 fine, 1 game suspension
each and all offenses past that-$100,000 fine, 3 game suspension.

Flopping that has an impact in the final outcome of games in the playoffs (this is what Tony Allen did)
1st offense-$50,000 fine, 1 game suspension
each and all offenses past that-$100,000 fine, suspension for the remainder of any playoff series, or a set amount of games determined by the league (as in a flop during Game 7 you cant really suspend somebody for the rest of the series). It is this severe because in a best of 7 series, if you possibly cheat a team out of 2 games, thats 1/2 the series.

I intially stated that to really end flopping the NBA needs to just stop calling fouls. The players started flopping because the refs blow the whistle so much. So, if the refs stopped blowing the whistle, guys would stop trying to get them to. I still believe that, but I have resigned myself to the decision that the league will never do that, and instead, take the players money. I dont even think the league enforces the flopping rule at all, as the Clippers flopped like crazy against the Grizzlies and they didnt get any fines. So if this is how the league intends to deal with flopping, this would fix the problem.

and if any officials call a flagerant on an obvious flop, and keep it after reviewing a replay of it :facepalm: then the officials should also see a suspension.

Your missing one rule..If your name is Lebron James the flop rule does not apply.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZpGKC62qvs

cubs1st
05-24-2013, 08:20 PM
The NBA needs to come down harder on flopping, maybe like the technical foul system where suspensions eventually come in play. And they need to actually enforce the rules when players flop.

Supreme LA
05-24-2013, 09:37 PM
good that was an absolute disgrace. flopping is bad enough but faking a serious injury is beyond pathetic, i kinda wish he got fined alot more.

I never hear you complaining when Lebron and Wade do it.

TylerSL
05-24-2013, 10:41 PM
He would and so would half the superstars in the league. Blake Griffin is the best example. He would be in debt by now. The NBA isn't interested in fining superstars for this kind of stuff. The NBA front office just wants to look legitimate by fining role players for flopping.

That's why the flopping fines instituted are pretty silly. We all know that no superstars will get fined for this kind of stuff. I guess at least it makes the regular season a little better.

if the floping penalties were as excessive as I stated, nobody would flop.

TylerSL
05-24-2013, 10:43 PM
Your missing one rule..If your name is Lebron James the flop rule does not apply.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZpGKC62qvs

go **** ur pants.

I post something productive to the thread and u fail at trolling. I bet u feel cool

LOOTERX9
05-24-2013, 11:52 PM

Your sig IS epic!!!! hahahaha!!!

Redrum187
05-25-2013, 06:07 AM

You have an amazing signature!

Redrum187
05-25-2013, 06:10 AM
He should definitely be fined and kdspurman's signature should be on NBA.com until the series is finished as retribution.

jam
05-25-2013, 06:10 AM
Brilliant sig! Thanks for the lulz!!! :p

Thanks man. I thought it was hilarious when I saw it