PDA

View Full Version : Otto Porter Jr. is under consideration by the Cleveland Cavaliers with the first pick

spreadeagle
05-24-2013, 05:13 PM
Wouldn't surprise me they love taking guys way ahead of projections, dont know much on dude, is he worthy of going #1 though?

Otto Porter Jr. is under consideration by the Cleveland Cavaliers with the first overall pick, according to a source with knowledge of the team's thinking.

Porter is a sophomore forward out of Georgetown.

Chris Grant selected Tristan Thompson and Dion Waiters higher than most had projected.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wizards-insider/wp/2013/05/23/wizards-move-up-but-could-still-miss-out-on-otto-porter-jr/

Hawkeye15
05-24-2013, 05:25 PM
well, they don't need to take McLemore, because they will probably miss the playoffs again, and recent history tells us that means an automatic #1 pick to grab Wiggins.

airronijordan
05-24-2013, 05:27 PM
Wouldn't surprise me they love taking guys way ahead of projections, dont know much on dude, is he worthy of going #1 though?

Otto Porter Jr. is under consideration by the Cleveland Cavaliers with the first overall pick, according to a source with knowledge of the team's thinking.

Porter is a sophomore forward out of Georgetown.

Chris Grant selected Tristan Thompson and Dion Waiters higher than most had projected.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wizards-insider/wp/2013/05/23/wizards-move-up-but-could-still-miss-out-on-otto-porter-jr/

I thought Porter was the best player in college basketball last year. He would definitely be worthy of a top pick.

ManRam
05-24-2013, 05:33 PM
i mean, i don't think it's outrageous. they have the biggest need at that position, and i think he's no worse than mclemore or burke.

kyrie
waiters/ellington
porter/gee
thompson/speights
varejao/zeller

that's a nice starting 5. could make the playoffs if they all stay healthy. waiters got better, for the most part, as the season went on. i think he'll still be a nice scoring threat. good mix of offense and defense too.

it's been 3 full seasons now since lebron left. they need to be winning now. and i think that's their goal.

PurpleJesus
05-24-2013, 05:33 PM
They have the top pick, they better weigh all their options.

WITZ
05-24-2013, 05:39 PM
I think the right thing to do would be to take Noel despite his injury. He clearly has the highest ceiling of anybody in this draft and prior to the injury he was a consensus #1 pick. Taking Otto would be the safer pick but his potential is nowhere close to Noels imo.

PatsSoxKnicks
05-24-2013, 05:42 PM
well, they don't need to take McLemore, because they will probably miss the playoffs again, and recent history tells us that means an automatic #1 pick to grab Wiggins.

Well if they're intent on going after Lebron in the following year, I think McLemore makes a lot of sense. He's a great shooter so he'd work well with Lebron. If they aren't going after Bron, I think Porter is a decent choice, though I do feel like he'd be a disappointment as the #1 pick. There's also Noel.

Green_Monster
05-24-2013, 05:57 PM
Well if they're intent on going after Lebron in the following year, I think McLemore makes a lot of sense. He's a great shooter so he'd work well with Lebron. If they aren't going after Bron, I think Porter is a decent choice, though I do feel like he'd be a disappointment as the #1 pick. There's also Noel.

I don't see them taking McLemore. They have Waiters at SG, and unless they end up trading him, it would be better to fill the hole at SF or C. I don't think they'd go forward with having one of Waiters or McLemore coming off the bench. Porter or Noel would be much better fits.

Hawkeye15
05-24-2013, 06:00 PM

I would take Noel, he can gain some weight and develop behind Anderson for a year.

Stunner
05-24-2013, 06:23 PM
Trade with Washington

RLundi
05-24-2013, 06:29 PM
Porter is their biggest need. It makes sense.

j-bay
05-24-2013, 06:46 PM
All depends on Noel's health. If Noel checks out, I think he will be a Cav and Porter a Wizard.

j-bay
05-24-2013, 06:55 PM
Bold prediction: If the Cavs do take Porter, then i see the Wizards taking Noel. They can wait, they got 2 good Centers in Okafor and Nene.

lakerfan85
05-24-2013, 07:06 PM
I wouldn't take Noel.. Drafting a big who already has a knee injury wouldn't be smart IMO...

MrfadeawayJB
05-24-2013, 07:39 PM
Noel will be a bust so trading down a pick or two and still getting porter would be smart

TylerSL
05-24-2013, 07:50 PM
who cares, this draft sucks. There is not 1 future superstar in this draft. The best players in this draft will only be coach-picked All-Stars. I would trade this pick if I was Cleveland, take somebodys 1st rounder next year.

j-bay
05-24-2013, 08:09 PM
Noel will be a bust so trading down a pick or two and still getting porter would be smart

They would have to do it with the Magic or Wizards. Any lower than 3 and the Wizards will snatch Porter up.

RLundi
05-24-2013, 08:12 PM
who cares, this draft sucks. There is not 1 future superstar in this draft. The best players in this draft will only be coach-picked All-Stars. I would trade this pick if I was Cleveland, take somebodys 1st rounder next year.

Don't you think GMs know this draft sucks just like you do? And they know next year's is projected to be great? Why would they trade a first-rounder this year for one next year?

WITZ
05-24-2013, 08:55 PM

People said the Same thing about the 2011 draft and look how that turned out.

NYMetros
05-24-2013, 09:05 PM
Porter is pretty good. Long and athletic, great defensively, good outside jump shot too. I don't think it would be that surprising of a pick.

JoeBlessU
05-24-2013, 09:25 PM

Lol this guy can predict the future...

GiantsSwaGG
05-24-2013, 09:41 PM
Noel won't be that good in the NBA

Cal827
05-24-2013, 09:55 PM
Rudy Gay for 1st overall.

MrfadeawayJB
05-24-2013, 10:20 PM

NBA would fix draft for raps to get wiggins but they just had to go get Rudy gay lol

kobe4thewinbang
05-24-2013, 10:33 PM
Sad thing is no matter who Cleveland drafts, they're still going to suuuck. They have, what, a whole bunch of build-them-up youngsters and scrubs? Seriously need a new GM or they ain't winning anytime soon.

Arch Stanton
05-25-2013, 02:11 AM

Stop dude! We get you hate the Cavs and Cleveland. That's fine! Stop acting like the draft is rigged without showing some legitimate proof. I know you're kind of joking, but you're not. You seem like an intelligent person that uses evidence or metrics to support your argument. This seems almost trollish.

Arch Stanton
05-25-2013, 02:27 AM
I wouldn't read too much into this claim of the Cavs interest in Porter. Since there isn't that clear cut #1 guy in this draft, I'm sure the Cavs FO still doesn't know who they will pick. Did anyone expect them to take Waiters #4 last year? Or TT in 2011 at #4? I understand they have the #1 pick this year, but it's kaleidoscope kind of year. And a handful of players could go #1. I hope they take the best player available. I have Oladipo #1 as I think he's the BPA and think he'll be an All-Star. But I'd have no problem with Noel, or McLemore. I like Porter and see him as a safe pick, but not worth #1 overall. He reminds me of Jeff Green.

Arch Stanton
05-25-2013, 02:30 AM
Sad thing is no matter who Cleveland drafts, they're still going to suuuck. They have, what, a whole bunch of build-them-up youngsters and scrubs? Seriously need a new GM or they ain't winning anytime soon.

Okay?I guess it's difficult to refute since they've been awful the past few years. However, it's obvious you don't really pay attention to the team. Because when they were healthy (I know rare for Cleveland) they were a .500 team.

Arch Stanton
05-25-2013, 02:32 AM

You would have to give up your pick for the Cavs to take that ridiculous contract.

Arch Stanton
05-25-2013, 02:32 AM
Oladipo... http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=MgWJGiJJAwk&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DMgWJGiJJAwk

b@llhog24
05-25-2013, 02:46 AM
Stop dude! We get you hate the Cavs and Cleveland. That's fine! Stop acting like the draft is rigged without showing some legitimate proof. I know you're kind of joking, but you're not. You seem like an intelligent person that uses evidence or metrics to support your argument. This seems almost trollish.

Nah he's saying you guys would be better off getting Wiggins (I think).

Arch Stanton
05-25-2013, 02:47 AM
Nah he's saying you guys would be better off getting Wiggins (I think).

I'm pretty sure it's sarcastic. I'll take Wiggins though.

Arch Stanton
05-25-2013, 02:54 AM

It doesn't suck, it actually has a lot of depth. There just isn't a obvious #1 or #2 pick. It's actually a good draft for mid to late first round picks. There is probably a couple of All-Stars but no Superstars.

waveycrockett
05-25-2013, 09:40 AM
Don't you think GMs know this draft sucks just like you do? And they know next year's is projected to be great? Why would they trade a first-rounder this year for one next year?

Every year that there isn't a LeBron or Wiggins GM's say the draft sucks

todu82
05-25-2013, 09:45 AM
Smart move here by the Cavs. As others have said he plays a position that they need someone at.

RaJAxTWa
05-25-2013, 10:02 AM
Otto Porter Jr. reminds me so much of Rudy Gay for some reason. He has a very unique style of play.

Irving
Waiters
Porter Jr.
Tristian Thompson
Varejo

Future looks very bright for them, and they may be in the lottery again. Good Job Cleveland.

Shlumpledink
05-25-2013, 10:15 AM
They're going to have a sexy team this year

Cal827
05-25-2013, 10:21 AM
You would have to give up your pick for the Cavs to take that ridiculous contract.

Well, technically, we did that already :D. I know, BC ****ed us up again :facepalm:

Antiam17
05-25-2013, 10:23 AM
I like Porters overall game and versatility and he would be a definite upgrade from Gee or whoever else CLE throws out there at SF. I still think they take Noel which is a mistake. Im just not impressed with him at all. Another college big man who is athletic but cant play ANY offense. I hate Waiters and think McLemore would have been a great fit besides Irving. But I still think they get Noel.

Regardless, they are close to becoming a playoff team.

WITZ
05-25-2013, 12:17 PM
Otto Porter Jr. reminds me so much of Rudy Gay for some reason. He has a very unique style of play.

Irving
Waiters
Porter Jr.
Tristian Thompson
Varejo

Future looks very bright for them, and they may be in the lottery again. Good Job Cleveland.

Not singling you out, but i have seen this comparison and i just don't understand it. Gay is in another world athletically compared to porter. I see him more of a T.Prince mold does a lot of things good , but not great at anything imo.

HouRealCoach
05-25-2013, 12:24 PM
If I'm them I'm taking Noel...

Irving, Waiters, Thompson, & Noel is a great young core to build around

Draft Giannis Adetokoubo with the 19th pick, & you have a core, & with Varejao, Gee, & Miles on the roster they get time to develop

j-bay
05-25-2013, 12:27 PM
Maybe i'm bias but i think it would be better for Porter's career to stay in Washington. He would be playing in the same building, and he would be playing with Beal, who is a good friend of his. Also John Calipari was on 92.3(Cleveland station) and he believes that Noel will be taken first, and it also sounds like he and Chris Grant have a good relationship. If Noel checks out, it sounds like he will go first.

RLundi
05-25-2013, 12:31 PM
Maybe i'm bias but i think it would be better for Porter's career to stay in Washington. He would be playing in the same building, and he would be playing with Beal, who is a good friend of his. Also John Calipari was on 92.3(Cleveland station) and he believes that Noel will be taken first, and it also sounds like he and Chris Grant have a good relationship. If Noel checks out, it sounds like he will go first.

You are definitely biased.

sportscrazed
05-25-2013, 12:41 PM
I would take Noel because if they get him they can trade Varejao. Varejao's a very good player and they could get a good return even with the injury concerns. Maybe they can get a pick? or maybe they can swing a deal for Paul Pearce?

Irving
Waiters
Pearce
Thompson
Noel

This would be a very formidable starting 5 and the bench would be good too. I would personally prefer the picks though. Next year is a very good draft.

j-bay
05-25-2013, 01:06 PM
You are definitely biased.

Yeah maybe i am. I loved Porter at G-Town, and would have to see him in Cleveland. It would kill me to see him in a Cavs jersey.