PDA

View Full Version : Potential Draft Steals

xRipCity
05-24-2013, 10:21 AM
I've done tons of research on the draft already and two players really stuck out to me that are late lottery or just outside it.

Dennis Schroeder, a 19 year old German point guard
- I know what you are thinking... internationals are generally red flags because of their high promise every year that never translates to the NBA. I'm thinking otherwise with this guy.
- This kid has Rondo sized hands and wingspan, and literally has all the tools to be the next Rondo after watching tape. He's quick with the ball, very good at dribbling in traffic and understands the game and makes good and sometimes even acrobatic passes. Plays with swagger

Steven Adams, 7 footer from Pitt, 7'5 wingspan. New Zealand native
- Watching tape, he just looks like an athletic guy who can finish above the rim and run the floor. He is fearless when attacking the rim. Looks a little like Meyers Leonard last year coming out of college
- The combine however was extremely shocking with Adams. He was knocking down three pointers, and spotting up/dribble shooting with ease, easily having one of the best combines in this years draft. If he truly improved his touch this much, we could see a guy with a Kevin Love scoring ceiling (needs to work on rebounding)

Other notables-

I believe CJ McCollum is undervalued, even though he was injured last year and is a short combo guard. He has the best chance to be the Lillard of this draft. If drafted by the right team and made a starter, I believe he will be ROY. He would be a dominant six man in this league as well.

Andre Roberson, a potential second rounder, is an undersized power forward whose rebounding prowess and intensity is drawing comparisons to Dennis Rodman, and is a potential steal.

Draft isn't strong but is very deep. The fact that college stars like Hardaway Jr, Cj Leslie, Mike Muscala, Peyton Siva, and Phil Pressey are all second rounders is incredible. There are also LOTS of internationals, more than I've ever seen.

2-ONE-5
05-24-2013, 10:25 AM
Hate Adams, he doesnt even know how to play basketball at the moment. Dont really view McCollum as a sleeper bcuz hes gonna be a lottery pick, prob even top 10

my sleeper is Issah Cannan from Murray St.

xRipCity
05-24-2013, 10:27 AM
I agree, Adams is a project. But the ceiling is there.

McCollum is a top ten pick easy, but his value to a team is overlooked. LETHAL shooter, who has an insane crossover/hesitation move. Reminds me a bit of Jamal Crawford. Has a very polished game, little weaknesses (really besides height).

I will do more research on Cannan, I haven't really gotten around to him yet.

xRipCity
05-24-2013, 10:32 AM
I would not draft Len, Olynyk, Gobert, Zeller, Plumlee, Withey.

Len has the highest value obviously but is ridiculously slow, and is overrated.

Zeller is athletic but will be a poor man's Pau Gasol when it all said and done.

The other 3 are statues

mightybosstone
05-24-2013, 10:40 AM
One guy I think could really become an NBA player is Myck Kabongo. Yes, I'm a UT guy, so that plays a bit of a role, but if it wasn't for the NCAA's terrible decision to prevent him from playing for like 80% of the season, he would have been a star at the collegiate level this year. And when he did come back, he immediately had an impact, leading the team in scoring and assists the rest of the way. He's got to work on his decision making, but he's got a great jump shot and is an excellent penetrator and playmaker.

xRipCity
05-24-2013, 10:48 AM
One guy I think could really become an NBA player is Myck Kabongo. Yes, I'm a UT guy, so that plays a bit of a role, but if it wasn't for the NCAA's terrible decision to prevent him from playing for like 80% of the season, he would have been a star at the collegiate level this year. And when he did come back, he immediately had an impact, leading the team in scoring and assists the rest of the way. He's got to work on his decision making, but he's got a great jump shot and is an excellent penetrator and playmaker.

He is a good playmaker, I will give him that. I don't think he has what it takes to be a starting point guard in the league today however

MrfadeawayJB
05-24-2013, 10:48 AM
I think Brandon Davies: BYU could have a Carlos boozer type career, which is good considering he is projected to go late second round

xRipCity
05-24-2013, 10:50 AM
I forgot about Davies. Aside from a bad decision at a BYU (I'll leave it at that), I remember this guy being a key part of their tournament chances with Jimmer

MrfadeawayJB
05-24-2013, 10:54 AM
I forgot about Davies. Aside from a bad decision at a BYU (I'll leave it at that), I remember this guy being a key part of their tournament chances with Jimmer

Yes without jimmer he was forced into a leadership role and scoring role and he performed nicely

2-ONE-5
05-24-2013, 11:00 AM
I would not draft Len, Olynyk, Gobert, Zeller, Plumlee, Withey.

Len has the highest value obviously but is ridiculously slow, and is overrated.

Zeller is athletic but will be a poor man's Pau Gasol when it all said and done.

The other 3 are statues

completley disagree with the exception of Gobert bcuz i dont kno much there. Zeller impressed at the combine and showed a lot more athelicness then people thought he had, everyone knows Plumlee is a freak athlete and solid rebounder, he also has a decent post game. Olynyck can play inside and out, Withey will be a Nick Collison type, and Len has sped up draft boards and some good offensive potential

mightybosstone
05-24-2013, 11:03 AM
He is a good playmaker, I will give him that. I don't think he has what it takes to be a starting point guard in the league today however
I don't see why not. He's got good size for an NBA point guard, above average passing and playmaking skills and is a very good defender. He probably won't go in the first round, but let's not forget that this kid was one of the top high school prospects in the world a couple of years ago. I'd say the odds are against him, but they're against almost all college players going into the NBA.

gwrighter
05-24-2013, 11:05 AM

Kabongo should be in the 1st round, whoever picks him up in the second is getting great value.

ManRam
05-24-2013, 11:13 AM
I've done tons of research on the draft already and two players really stuck out to me that are late lottery or just outside it.

Dennis Schroeder, a 19 year old German point guard
- I know what you are thinking... internationals are generally red flags because of their high promise every year that never translates to the NBA. I'm thinking otherwise with this guy.
- This kid has Rondo sized hands and wingspan, and literally has all the tools to be the next Rondo after watching tape. He's quick with the ball, very good at dribbling in traffic and understands the game and makes good and sometimes even acrobatic passes. Plays with swagger

Steven Adams, 7 footer from Pitt, 7'5 wingspan. New Zealand native
- Watching tape, he just looks like an athletic guy who can finish above the rim and run the floor. He is fearless when attacking the rim. Looks a little like Meyers Leonard last year coming out of college
- The combine however was extremely shocking with Adams. He was knocking down three pointers, and spotting up/dribble shooting with ease, easily having one of the best combines in this years draft. If he truly improved his touch this much, we could see a guy with a Kevin Love scoring ceiling (needs to work on rebounding)

Other notables-

I believe CJ McCollum is undervalued, even though he was injured last year and is a short combo guard. He has the best chance to be the Lillard of this draft. If drafted by the right team and made a starter, I believe he will be ROY. He would be a dominant six man in this league as well.

Andre Roberson, a potential second rounder, is an undersized power forward whose rebounding prowess and intensity is drawing comparisons to Dennis Rodman, and is a potential steal.

Draft isn't strong but is very deep. The fact that college stars like Hardaway Jr, Cj Leslie, Mike Muscala, Peyton Siva, and Phil Pressey are all second rounders is incredible. There are also LOTS of internationals, more than I've ever seen.

adams has the size and build to be a successful pro, but he did so little to impress here at pitt all year that i can't be too excited about him. i think he's still got the upside and could form into the player most felt he would be when he first came here, but as of now it all seems like upside to me.

i like mccollum a lot too, but his stock is soaring. in fact, i almost like him more than burke at this point.

and i agree about your depth comment. it's not top heavy, but i love the depth. i really am hoping orlando some how gets a mid-to-late first round pick somehow via trade. i'd be really excited for that.

my guys:

rudy gobert. been talking about this guy for basically a year now. if he bulks up i think the sky is the limit for him. i'd take him over adams and nogueira and the likes.

i see kabongo falling into some people's late second round. i still am super intrigued by him.

a also really like gorgui dieng. he's got a solid mid range shot, and i think defensively he's talented enough to stick in the league for a while. considering the magic's front court defensive woes, i'd love to, again, acquire a late first rounder and snag him up.

edit: over the span of the 30 minutes it took me to write this (on-and-off since i'm at work) i see these guys have mostly been named.

nolafan33
05-24-2013, 11:43 AM
Caldwell-Pope

Clippersfan86
05-24-2013, 11:43 AM
Allen Crabbe. Reggie Miller 2.0

ManningToTyree
05-24-2013, 11:50 AM
Larkin could be a huge steal

topdog
05-24-2013, 12:57 PM
Shabazz imo because he is falling to the back/out of the lottery.

HowBoutDemBulls
05-24-2013, 01:14 PM
Nate Wolters is a late second round gem, has the ability to be a very solid backup PG.

MagicBucsSox
05-24-2013, 01:28 PM
Alfonso Burke is gonna be a steal.

BenFrank
05-24-2013, 01:51 PM
I'm hoping Kabongo falls to the Rockets at #34

Stunner
05-24-2013, 01:56 PM
First Name James , Last Name Ennis

MrfadeawayJB
05-24-2013, 04:06 PM
Nate Wolters is a late second round gem, has the ability to be a very solid backup PG.

Could be a Goran Dragic type of player

MrfadeawayJB
05-24-2013, 04:07 PM
I also think that Ryan Kelly could be like Ryan Anderson, minus the rebounding. Could be a good stretch 4 if he adds muscle

Arch Stanton
05-25-2013, 03:04 AM
I think Giannis Adetokunbo could be a steal. I know he received a promise from a team. He reminds me of Durant.... Not saying he will be Durant though...

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Giannis-Adetokunbo-7223/

LJEATON26
05-25-2013, 10:14 AM
Completely agree about Dennis Schroeder, that guy is going to be a stud. I also think Mam Jaiteh could become a really good long term center in the league if groomed properly

Phenomenonsense
05-25-2013, 10:55 AM
Charmichael looks like a Boozer to me. Great pick up in the second round.

Carey
05-25-2013, 11:27 AM
Erik Green out of Va Tech is a guy that will probably go early 2nd that can play the point and play off the ball. He can shoot with range, very quick but savvy, move without the ball, score in the inbetween game and i think he's a better distributor than people think. His lack of size and length and upper echelon distributing ability i think is gonna limit him to a bench player but he has a chance imo to be a very good one. Reminds me of like a more explosive Gary Neal with a better handle as far as projecting him into a NBA role.

La11
05-25-2013, 01:47 PM
Dennis Schroeder WILL BE THE BIGGEST STEAL. Even tho he will most likely be picked by OKC with the 12th pick!

RLundi
05-25-2013, 01:54 PM
I'd love to get McCollum with Dallas' 13th pick that they want to get rid of.

RLundi
05-25-2013, 01:56 PM
Alfonso Burke is gonna be a steal.

You're obsessed.

Lakers Ghost
05-25-2013, 06:17 PM
kelly is the one I think is a steal if taken around the 15 pick.