PDA

View Full Version : 2013 boston redsox upgrades ??????

RATEDR116
05-24-2013, 10:21 AM
Ok their was many that said we had no chance this year...some were/are loyal fans..but look at us...fighting for first. So nothing crazy like rebuilding just one or two upgrades...but what do you think they should be...let's hear your ideas...theres no wrong answer....and yes Stanton would be great

RedSoxtober
05-24-2013, 10:50 AM
Since their 20-8 start they're 8-12 and look like the .500ish team that many envisioned. They'll probably finish closer to 90 wins than 80 wins as a result of the start. With that in mind, I wouldn't approach improving the team any differently now than I would have in mid-March when I didn't think they had much chance. It'd be silly to bite on any big names dangled at the trade deadline just to make a push; their objectives should be longer term.

I believe that we have pitching building in the minors to hold the fort for a while. 2B, 3B appear to be locked up especially with the way we're moving SS in the minor leagues. JBJr is heir apparent to CF. Victorino seems to be morphing into JD Drew -- good performance when he's on the field but an increasing number of nagging injuries keeping him away. I like him enough but we may need a very strong 4th OF in light of his time away.

What's left? I'd probably attack C, 1B, SS, and LF in that order. After a banner night throwing out 2 runners Salty "improved" to 3/23. Passed balls with runners on first and second in a tight game? Next! I don't care about his power. Unfortunately I'm fading on Lavarnway who seems destined to be a AAAA guy and Vazquez seems bound for MLB when Ross' deal is done. We could use another front-line receiver. Napoli and Drew are doing a decent job but both are in on 1yr deals with no guarantees. I view Napoli as a bit of a long term risk because of the hip and Drew because of his agent. Between 1B and LF we could use a couple of consistent power threats for 3+ yrs.

todu82
05-24-2013, 11:27 AM
I'd look to improve our catching as well as go for another starter.

goshhhjosh
05-24-2013, 11:58 AM
As our wonderful leader stated, there's no need to mortgage our future for a push this year. Not being a pessimist, but I believe it's highly unlikely that this team makes it to the ALCS.

As of late the pitching has been struggling (except for Buchholz.) The offense gets shut down way too much. I just don't see the Red Sox getting past the Tigers or Rangers.

Outside of Buchholz and Lester, there's no starting pitcher to trust in the playoffs.

At the trade deadline I wouldn't mind seeing the Red Sox go after a catcher. Obviously, Salty isn't the answer at catcher. Productive catchers are uber expensive and I don't want the Red Sox to deal a lot of their prospects away, so I don't know.

The Red Sox finally have some depth in their farm system and to acquire any big name player you're going to be looking at dealing a Bogaerts, Cecchini, Barnes, Bradley Jr., etc. Not worth it. I like the depth that the Red Sox possess.

Any upgrades to the team are going to be called up from AAA. Then there's the whole creating rooms for the prospects...the Red Sox should just stand pat.

They are building pitching depth in the minors: Barnes, Ranaudo, Owens, Webster, and De La Rosa. Hang onto it.

Ellsbury is the wild card, if he can magically turn around his pathetic year, he might be dealt.

RedSoxtober
05-24-2013, 03:09 PM
As of late the pitching has been struggling (except for Buchholz.) The offense gets shut down way too much. I just don't see the Red Sox getting past the Tigers or Rangers.

That's what stumps me the most. They're just as capable of losing 10-0 as winning 10-0 and lately they're doing more to pad the ERAs of opposing pitchers. I'm most frustrated by the also-rans that have held them in check.

Nomar
05-24-2013, 06:01 PM
It would be interesting if Marisnick and Yelich make Loria consider trading Stanton. Ozuna has played very well and Yelich and Marisnick aren't far from filling their outfield. I wouldn't be too surprised to see Stanton on the market come time for the deadline.

-Lavigne43-
05-24-2013, 08:09 PM
I had them winning ~84 before the season. Lester looks like Lester. Through two months Clay is pitching with command and consistency I have never seen from him before. All of his pitches are working almost every game, it's nuts. Lackey looks great, he's our #3. Dempster has had a tough stretch after being very good, overall he should give us solid pitching. Our offense is inconsistent with a ridiculous amount of strikeouts, but we also have scored the 4th most runs in baseball.

With health this is a low 90's win team. In the playoffs anything can happen, it's a crapshoot. A Lester-Buchholz-Lackey-Dempster rotation can win us series if they are on their game.

No major moves. We could use an extra depth starter. A serviceable utility infielder is the biggest need.

Crucis
05-24-2013, 08:46 PM
I had them winning ~84 before the season. Lester looks like Lester. Through two months Clay is pitching with command and consistency I have never seen from him before. All of his pitches are working almost every game, it's nuts. Lackey looks great, he's our #3. Dempster has had a tough stretch after being very good, overall he should give us solid pitching. Our offense is inconsistent with a ridiculous amount of strikeouts, but we also have scored the 4th most runs in baseball.

With health this is a low 90's win team. In the playoffs anything can happen, it's a crapshoot. A Lester-Buchholz-Lackey-Dempster rotation can win us series if they are on their game.

No major moves. We could use an extra depth starter. A serviceable utility infielder is the biggest need.

Lav, I suppose if Stanton was on the market and the Sox could get him for a price they felt they could live with, he might be a possible addition to an offense that could benefit from another big bat. That said, I don't really see it happening, since I'd expect the Marlins to want the moon for Stanton.

Also, if Victorino can stay reasonably healthy and productive (fingers crossed) and the combo of Nava, Gomes, and Carp can remain productive, it seems hard to imagine seeing the Sox think that they desperately need any sort of upgrade in the corner OF positions. This isn't to say that those guys are studs, just that they don't really seem like a particularly weak spot ... particularly Nava who has been so productive that it's gotta be hard to pry him out of the lineup these days.

Beyond that other than perhaps at catcher, I'm not sure where one upgrades this team. Doubront may not be all that great, but he's a #5, so expectations really shouldn't be all that high.

You're probably right that a better utility IF-er would be a plus.

Sweet_Caroline
05-25-2013, 01:28 AM
As for this year upgrades could be made in the rotation maybe one more decent starter especially towards the deadline if Doubront still looks shaky or Lackey gets injured. We need to probably get a guy that can play 3rd because there isn't much depth behind WMB. Ciriaco is pretty terrible, Brock Holt is meh, and Iglesias has played a grand total of 1 game there in the bigs.

EwanSellars
05-25-2013, 06:22 AM
a utility guy would be good and a catcher as well i imagine we will resign napoli after this year and next year i think webster will be ready and de la rosa as well and im sure 1 or both of them will come up in september/playoffs and help us out

Caveman508
05-25-2013, 12:19 PM
Outside of Buchholz and Lester, there's no starting pitcher to trust in the playoffs.

Lackey says waddup

AI
05-25-2013, 02:51 PM
I'd probably look for small pieces, I'd love to acquire David Dejesus.

greenwell39
05-26-2013, 05:26 PM
Chase Headley, if we could extend him for at least 3 years. Trade them Middlebrooks and some minor prospects. We still have Garin Cecchini.

AI
05-26-2013, 06:15 PM
If certain players with big contracts become available, mainly Mauer, I would honestly really like us to acquire him. The guy is a great hitter and is athletic, can play multiple positions. Would allow us to bat Pedroia #2 and move Nava/Victorino down which instantly makes the bottom of our lineup better. Not to mention, it would mean way less AB's for Salty this year and another .400 OBP guy infront of Ortiz and Napoli.

After this season is over, Napoli is gone (extend the QO) and we'll have a need at 1B which Mauer would fill.

Ellsbury CF
Pedroia 2B
Mauer C
Ortiz DH
Napoli 1B
Nava LF
Victorino RF
Middlebrooks 3B
Drew SS

Much, much, much better.

Crucis
05-26-2013, 10:35 PM
Lackey says waddup

Gotta agree, Caveman, provisionally. The Lackey we've been seeing thus far has generally looked a lot better than the one we've seen in the first couple years he was with the team. If Lackey can pick like this going forward, I'd say that the Sox look to have 3 really strong starters for the playoffs.

At this point, I'm willing to give Lackey a fresh start and look at his TJ surgery as a giant reset on his time with the Sox.

Crucis
05-26-2013, 10:38 PM
If certain players with big contracts become available, mainly Mauer, I would honestly really like us to acquire him. The guy is a great hitter and is athletic, can play multiple positions. Would allow us to bat Pedroia #2 and move Nava/Victorino down which instantly makes the bottom of our lineup better. Not to mention, it would mean way less AB's for Salty this year and another .400 OBP guy infront of Ortiz and Napoli.

After this season is over, Napoli is gone (extend the QO) and we'll have a need at 1B which Mauer would fill.

Ellsbury CF
Pedroia 2B
Mauer C
Ortiz DH
Napoli 1B
Nava LF
Victorino RF
Middlebrooks 3B
Drew SS

Much, much, much better.

Mauer would be awfully expensive to acquire, even if the Sox were willing to take on 100% of his contract. And I'm not sure that the Sox would be willing to pay that price. (And doesn't Mauer have a no trade clause?)

That said, you're right that he would make the Sox lineup much deeper. I just don't see it happening.

Crucis
05-26-2013, 10:42 PM
I'd probably look for small pieces, I'd love to acquire David Dejesus.

AI, my memory of Dejesus is vague, but I'm thinking that he's a good defender. So, along those lines...

Yeah, in spite of the Sox corner outfielders generally being a reasonably productive bunch considering we're not looking at a bunch of studs, other than Victorino, there's not a lot of defensive talent in the team's corner OF-ers, so adding one who did have a good glove would probably be a good thing, for the right price.

AI
05-26-2013, 11:36 PM
Dejesus is solid defensively at all 3 OF positions and his bat is not too shabby.

Hits for a solid average and his OBP is always roaming around the .350 mark.

Crucis
05-27-2013, 12:01 AM
Dejesus is solid defensively at all 3 OF positions and his bat is not too shabby.

Hits for a solid average and his OBP is always roaming around the .350 mark.

He probably wouldn't be an offensive upgrade (except perhaps compared to Gomes), but it would be nice to have a solid defensive OF-er on the bench who wouldn't be an embarrassment at the plate, if the Sox are going to make a playoff run.

Short of making a trade for someone like Dejesus, about the only other way I can see getting a similar upgrade would be to have JBJr on the bench late in the season. We know that his defense would be solid. I'm just not sure if he'll have his offensive issues straighted out by then so that he could contribute offensively as well. Come to think of it, it wouldn't shock me much if the Sox see JBJr in this role, since they wouldn't have to spend anything to call him up.

AI
05-27-2013, 02:39 PM
JBJ's hitting .352/.443/.493 in AAA - if Victorino is out, he'll probably get the call again.

Station 13
05-27-2013, 02:55 PM
JBJ's hitting .352/.443/.493 in AAA - if Victorino is out, he'll probably get the call again.

I'm surprise he isn't up yet. We'll see if Aceves bombed tonight they just send him packing.

AI
05-27-2013, 03:12 PM
I'm surprise he isn't up yet. We'll see if Aceves bombed tonight they just send him packing.

Well, none of us expected Nava to produce the way he has so at the moment he's not really needed.

Ells and Nava are both full-time players at the moment and then you have the Carp/Gomes platoon.

Crucis
05-27-2013, 04:52 PM
Well, none of us expected Nava to produce the way he has so at the moment he's not really needed.

Ells and Nava are both full-time players at the moment and then you have the Carp/Gomes platoon.

Exactly correct, AI. Other than an occasional day off, there's no reason at all to not play Nava. The kid's earned the right to be a starter on this team for now.

And quite frankly, while Carp continues to produce, it's hard not to play him.

So, as much as we all may like JBJr, I don't really think that he's needed on the big club right now, even with Victorino hurting. And I don't think that it'd be doing JBJr any favors just to call him up to ride the bench.

goshhhjosh
05-28-2013, 08:19 AM
Lackey says waddup

Oh yeah, you're right the guy who missed all of 2012 with major elbow surgery and the guy who has only made 7 starts since then with a DL stint due to a bicep strain mixed in there. How foolish of me not to trust the guy yet.

Yeah, he's put up decent stats so far this year, but 2 of his 3 wins came against Houston and Minnesota (who were in the midst of a 10 game losing streak.) He looked really good his last start against Cleveland, but I'm sorry I don't trust the guy yet.

I would like to see him prove his durability first...I think it's just as foolish to proclaim the guy a savior.

RedSoxtober
05-28-2013, 10:13 AM

But at $23M for five more years (through 2018)? IDK, I'd want MIN to pick up a chunk of that money. The Sox certainly have ways to deploy him at the positions that he fills (C/1B/DH) over the next few years but the Twins clearly got carried away signing the hometown kid in the midst of his most prolific baseball.

Nomar
05-28-2013, 12:05 PM
There is no way we take Mauer's full contract. We have the money, but too many problems can come taking on that kind of money for a guy his age. He could play C this year and 1B next year, and we would let Napoli go and give him a QO so we get a pick out of him. But all that really does is give us a small offensive boost at the huge price of Mauer's contract.

If the Twins eat a portion of it and we can work out a deal, sure. But I don't think it's worth giving up any of XB, JBJ, Cecchini, Barnes, Webster, RDLR, Owens, or even Swihart. They have no use for Brentz either so he's out of the equation. Iggy, Marrero, or Ranaudo are more likely the names I'd see being in play. Outside shot at Swihart, though he has such untapped potential we'd be selling low probably. I do think Lavarnway and Vazquez will make a good combo behind the plate though. Wouldn't mind if the Sox moved Swihart in 2014 if he only OPSes .700 this year.

Also... Ellsbury for Derek Holland looks a lot better this year I have to admit.

AI
05-28-2013, 02:50 PM
I knew people would be opposed to Mauer due to his contract, age and etc. but the guy is one of the best pure hitters in baseball. I'd expect him to age well if he were limited to strictly being a 1B going forward and part-time DH when Ortiz has a day-off or dare I say, gone (guy keeps hitting, wonder when that will be).

I see two scenarios:

- We eat most of the contract and give up a minimal package
- Twins eat a good chunk of the remaining $ and we give up a good package

Either way, the guy is definitely worth it, atleast in my book. I'm probably biased because I love Mauer, but I envision a 1-2-3-4 where JBJ, Pedroia, Mauer and Ortiz all put up OBP's north of .370 and completely wear out pitchers.

RedSoxtober
05-28-2013, 02:50 PM
There is no way we take Mauer's full contract. We have the money, but too many problems can come taking on that kind of money for a guy his age. He could play C this year and 1B next year, and we would let Napoli go and give him a QO so we get a pick out of him. But all that really does is give us a small offensive boost at the huge price of Mauer's contract.
I don't think that the offensive difference between Napoli and Mauer is "slight"... but it's also not a $10M difference. Given that I am not inspired by any of the 1B in the system I'd be willing to take on a 5yr deal but not at the money he's owed.

If the Twins eat a portion of it and we can work out a deal, sure. But I don't think it's worth giving up any of XB, JBJ, Cecchini, Barnes, Webster, RDLR, Owens, or even Swihart. They have no use for Brentz either so he's out of the equation. Iggy, Marrero, or Ranaudo are more likely the names I'd see being in play. Outside shot at Swihart, though he has such untapped potential we'd be selling low probably. I do think Lavarnway and Vazquez will make a good combo behind the plate though. Wouldn't mind if the Sox moved Swihart in 2014 if he only OPSes .700 this year.

Also... Ellsbury for Derek Holland looks a lot better this year I have to admit.
I wouldn't be too quick to get rid of Swihart. The Carolina League is notoriously tough on hitters (XB was very happy to find his power to CF "return" after his promotion to POR and the EL). Doubling his BB rate at A+ SAL is a very good sign even taking into account the slight dip in SLG. Factor in his age and he appears to be maturing pretty nicely at this point. (Admittedly I've been somewhat disappointed with him overall but I think he's moving in a positive direction.)

bagwell368
05-28-2013, 02:58 PM
Oh yeah, you're right the guy who missed all of 2012 with major elbow surgery and the guy who has only made 7 starts since then with a DL stint due to a bicep strain mixed in there. How foolish of me not to trust the guy yet.

Yeah, he's put up decent stats so far this year, but 2 of his 3 wins came against Houston and Minnesota (who were in the midst of a 10 game losing streak.) He looked really good his last start against Cleveland, but I'm sorry I don't trust the guy yet.

I would like to see him prove his durability first...I think it's just as foolish to proclaim the guy a savior.

The Sox have no choice but to trust him. They will not aquire a #3 SP given the cost, so any shortfall out of Lackey is an in-house solve IMO.

bagwell368
05-28-2013, 03:02 PM
I knew people would be opposed to Mauer due to his contract, age and etc. but the guy is one of the best pure hitters in baseball. I'd expect him to age well if he were limited to strictly being a 1B going forward and part-time DH when Ortiz has a day-off or dare I say, gone (guy keeps hitting, wonder when that will be).

I see two scenarios:

Either way, the guy is definitely worth it, atleast in my book. I'm probably biased because I love Mauer, but I envision a 1-2-3-4 where JBJ, Pedroia, Mauer and Ortiz all put up OBP's north of .370 and completely wear out pitchers.

Mauer is a home team hero. No saying he'd be interested.

He's played a lot of catcher, even if he doesn't do that here, his health going forward could easily be worse than Napoli's. Napoli at $5M for 1 year is a no brainer. Expecting Mauer to be Mauer the last few years of his deal is a totally different and dicier issue.

Mauer is an astounding hitter for a catcher, but at 1B, he's closer to the middle of the road. He's a 2B's hitter with killer BA and OBP - to date.

I don't think Ortiz will last until JBJ reaches .370 OBP. I'm not even sure JBJ will ever reach .370 OBP unless it's a peak season in his late 20's.

RedSoxtober
05-28-2013, 03:09 PM
Mauer is an astounding hitter for a catcher, but at 1B, he's closer to the middle of the road. He's a 2B's hitter with killer BA and OBP - to date.

Wonder what kind of a difference getting out from behind the plate would make on his offensive production.

AI
05-28-2013, 03:28 PM
Wonder what kind of a difference getting out from behind the plate would make on his offensive production.

And going from playing half his game in Minny to Fenway and the smaller AL East parks.

Mauer obviously is an elite hitter at the C position, but a .320/.400/.460 hitter at 1B is excellent as well, especially when you consider that we have nothing in the farm close to being that type of hitter at 1B.

I'm just saying, if Mauer hit FA now, would you do a 5 year deal worth $115MM? I probably would, main reason being, we're going to be replacing a lot of expensive guys with players making the minimum and who are yet not eligible for arbitration.

The Sox payroll is currently at $154,555,500 in '13, tax raises to $189MM in '14. The following guys are FA's:

Ellsbury $9M (guaranteed)
Drew $9.5M (guaranteed; $0.5M bonus if he reaches 500 PA's)
Napoli $5M (guaranteed; incentives will push it to $13M if he stays healthy)
Hanrahan $7.04M (guaranteed)
Saltalamacchia $4.5M (guaranteed)
Uehara $4.25M (guaranteed)

Under what I'm proposing:

JBJ would replace Ellsbury (pre-arbitration; $490-500K)
Xander would replace Drew (pre-arbitration; $490-500K)
Mauer would replace Napoli ($ saved by letting Hanrahan, Ells and Drew walk already pays for Mauer)

I think it's definitely doable considering that the majority of our position prospects are at the upper levels and those who are not will be at AA/AAA next year.

Nomar
05-28-2013, 04:56 PM
I don't think that the offensive difference between Napoli and Mauer is "slight"... but it's also not a $10M difference. Given that I am not inspired by any of the 1B in the system I'd be willing to take on a 5yr deal but not at the money he's owed.

I wouldn't be too quick to get rid of Swihart. The Carolina League is notoriously tough on hitters (XB was very happy to find his power to CF "return" after his promotion to POR and the EL). Doubling his BB rate at A+ SAL is a very good sign even taking into account the slight dip in SLG. Factor in his age and he appears to be maturing pretty nicely at this point. (Admittedly I've been somewhat disappointed with him overall but I think he's moving in a positive direction.)

Totally agree. I think he'll be fine if he sticks at C, but his raw tools suggest he could be a great hitter. It just comes down to where he'd be more valuable; as a catcher or in the field with better hitting. He reminds me of Wil Myers only he has a better hit tool and less raw power. If he were to move, personally would try Swihart out at 2nd base.

goshhhjosh
05-28-2013, 07:20 PM
The Sox have no choice but to trust him. They will not aquire a #3 SP given the cost, so any shortfall out of Lackey is an in-house solve IMO.

I agree. I was just more or less referencing the, "Lackey is back," "Lackey is so good," "Lackey is a great #3" crowd.

I'm happy he's pitching well, he should be, he's the highest paid Red Sox player. He's just going to have to show it against better competition before I feel semi-confident in the man.

bagwell368
05-28-2013, 09:28 PM
a .320/.400/.460 hitter at 1B is excellent as well, especially when you consider that we have nothing in the farm close to being that type of hitter at 1B.

Excellent for a farmhand, but at his terms - not amazing.

I'm just saying, if Mauer hit FA now, would you do a 5 year deal worth $115MM? I probably would, main reason being, we're going to be replacing a lot of expensive guys with players making the minimum and who are yet not eligible for arbitration.

What's he playing in your ideal world?

1B? Then no.
DH. No.
Catcher? Hell no.

It's all about the actuarial tables, and I can think of other players I'd rather spend the money on. Most I'd go is 5 for $70M at DH and/or 1B. He's not worth what you are suggesting. His risk of getting "Fosse-ied" or having other nasty injuries at catcher make that a worrying route to go.

The Sox payroll is currently at $154,555,500 in '13, tax raises to $189MM in '14. The following guys are FA's:

Ellsbury $9M (guaranteed)
Drew $9.5M (guaranteed; $0.5M bonus if he reaches 500 PA's)
Napoli $5M (guaranteed; incentives will push it to $13M if he stays healthy)
Hanrahan $7.04M (guaranteed)
Saltalamacchia $4.5M (guaranteed)
Uehara $4.25M (guaranteed)

Under what I'm proposing:

JBJ would replace Ellsbury (pre-arbitration; $490-500K)
Xander would replace Drew (pre-arbitration; $490-500K)
Mauer would replace Napoli ($ saved by letting Hanrahan, Ells and Drew walk already pays for Mauer)

I think it's definitely doable considering that the majority of our position prospects are at the upper levels and those who are not will be at AA/AAA next year.

Doable doesn't mean it's the best choice or even a desirable choice. You've got to drop the fan hat here.

AI
05-28-2013, 10:42 PM
I knew people would be against it and would have their reasons which I fully understand. I'm just a big Mauer fan and I would assume that there are other ways of acquiring a 1B that make more sense.

Nomar
05-29-2013, 01:10 AM
Still only four first baseman OPSed .860+ last year. Votto, EE, Fielder, and Craig. IF he could be an asset defensively, then he's a ~3.5 WAR player which is worth about 16 or 17M. First basemen in general are overpaid because they're putting up the big offensive numbers, so I wouldn't think it would be the end of the world if you had his big contract. But Pedroia and Lester will want big money, and I think we could allocate our resources in a more efficient way than acquiring Mauer.

RedSoxtober
05-29-2013, 10:08 AM
I probably would not. $90M-100M no problem. I think he's a great player but I also think that the Sox learned a very valuable lesson through The Trade that should not be soon forgotten.

I agree. I was just more or less referencing the, "Lackey is back," "Lackey is so good," "Lackey is a great #3" crowd.

I'm happy he's pitching well, he should be, he's the highest paid Red Sox player. He's just going to have to show it against better competition before I feel semi-confident in the man.
I'm good with it primarily because I have been expecting good things from him post TJ. I was a bit worried with the way he labored through starts 3-5 but the last two have been very good. The key has been the very high GB ratio; that's vintage Lackey.

At any rate, I agree with bags that the cost to improve upon Lackey/Dempster at #3 will be higher than the Sox care to pay even if there is an available player. They're much more geared to compete in 2014-15 than 2013 and they'll deal with that in mind.

goshhhjosh
05-29-2013, 10:54 AM
I'm good with it primarily because I have been expecting good things from him post TJ. I was a bit worried with the way he labored through starts 3-5 but the last two have been very good. The key has been the very high GB ratio; that's vintage Lackey.

At any rate, I agree with bags that the cost to improve upon Lackey/Dempster at #3 will be higher than the Sox care to pay even if there is an available player. They're much more geared to compete in 2014-15 than 2013 and they'll deal with that in mind.

I also agree with Bags, I don't want them to go out and spend to improve upon Lackey as a #3. I'm also extremely happy he's pitching well for the Red Sox - about time. I would just like to see a few more starts before I jump on the Lackey bandwagon, that's all I'm saying.

I want them to keep the kids they have down on the farm.

RATEDR116
05-29-2013, 11:25 AM
would like to see what carp can do everyday....he has come up with big hits in the lil time he has played

bagwell368
05-29-2013, 11:52 AM
would like to see what carp can do everyday....he has come up with big hits in the lil time he has played

He's up and down. If he's starting for us, we're in trouble. Meh fielder as well.

SoxFan101NlB
06-10-2013, 10:30 AM
Wonder what a trade for Lee would look like. If we took on some money, could we offer lesser specs? If we took no money would jbj or xb be involved? Doubtful but just curious.

RedSoxtober
06-10-2013, 01:32 PM
Wonder what a trade for Lee would look like. If we took on some money, could we offer lesser specs? If we took no money would jbj or xb be involved? Doubtful but just curious.

I don't think that PHI has a lot of well regarded pitching prospects so I would assume that they'd prefer to take back pitching in exchange for Lee. A few possibilities exist. They could headline with Doubront and look for PHI to eat some contract. As an alternative, they could headline with Lackey and take back no money. In both cases you might send another pitching prospect. The prospect deal probably also includes a position player on the order of Jacobs.

ruckus16969
06-17-2013, 12:41 AM

I see two scenarios:

Mauer is Great player it would be like having 2 Peteys in our line up and imo that would be great. But for that kind of money I want someone hit hit for more power. Napoli's been great. Even his defense has been outstanding. I'd rather give him his 3 year deal and spend the money on pitching or save it to get Stanton and lock him up for the rest of his career.

I wonder if they'd be interested in Ellsbury just for a chance to have first dips on signing him.

Me to. He's been streaky in the past but as far I know he never really had a chance to play every day. I like to give him a month or 2 just to see what he can do. Maybe he could become an above average 1B. I like him on this team tho