PDA

View Full Version : NBA Timeout Rules

CTCUBBIES
05-23-2013, 10:52 AM
What do you all think about the NBA rule that allows a team to have the ball under their own basket, call a timeout, and then get the ball near the opposing team's basket? I guess the league is trying to force a situation with game tying or winning shot attempts but it doesn't seem right to me.

Basketball is a full-court sport. Can you imagine a rule like this in Soccer or Hockey?

Please don't take this as some kind of Heat hate thread. This rule applies to all teams. I personally do not like it and am interested in other's thoughts as they don't do this in the college game.

JiffyMix88
05-23-2013, 11:01 AM
I like it cause for one it keeps the game interesting and for two sometimes my team benefits from it.

LakersIn5
05-23-2013, 11:58 AM
I like it cause for one it keeps the game interesting and for two sometimes my team benefits from it.

this. lol

Aapox
05-23-2013, 02:54 PM
That's exactly what the league is doing. It prolongs the end of close games and creates more possibilities of clutch plays which increases tension and the appeal of the fans. Personally, I like it because I love those end game situations and although it can definitely suck to be on the wrong end of it, it's the same for both teams so it's not really unfair in the end. I am a huge fan of both the NCAA and NBA and it's definitely more exciting in the NBA when the team has a chance to get a legitimate shot with a few seconds left instead of a half-court heave at best like in NCAA play.

CTCUBBIES
05-23-2013, 03:53 PM
That's exactly what the league is doing. It prolongs the end of close games and creates more possibilities of clutch plays which increases tension and the appeal of the fans. Personally, I like it because I love those end game situations and although it can definitely suck to be on the wrong end of it, it's the same for both teams so it's not really unfair in the end. I am a huge fan of both the NCAA and NBA and it's definitely more exciting in the NBA when the team has a chance to get a legitimate shot with a few seconds left instead of a half-court heave at best like in NCAA play.

Yeah I think it certainly has some merits and is very exciting. I also completely agree it doesn't favor any one team. Something about it just doesn't sit right with me.

I think maybe they should figure out a way to penalize the offense for choosing to advance the ball. Maybe you could take half the time off the clock. In last night's case Miami would have only had 1.1 second. It still would have setup a clutch situation but Miami would not have had time to drive the ball. This would be more fair to the team on defense.

If not that then I think coaches should be given less timeouts so they introduce the strategy of having to save timeouts to utilize this situation. Let's be honest coaches are already getting tons of extra timeouts between video reviews and commercial breaks.

kobe4thewinbang
05-23-2013, 04:16 PM
Yeah I think it certainly has some merits and is very exciting. I also completely agree it doesn't favor any one team. Something about it just doesn't sit right with me.
If not that then I think coaches should be given less timeouts so they introduce the strategy of having to save timeouts to utilize this situation.We've seen several times when a team no longer has timeouts and must heave a Hail Mary. Remember when LeBron and Wade blitzed up the court in their series against Dallas with no timeouts? The shot by Wade was way off and Dallas won on the road.

About advancing the ball, I disagree. You either play good defense, or you lose. That's basketball. Only good teams know how to execute with the game on the line anyway, as I've seen plenty of them look for desperate 3 point attempts only to pass the ball 15 times before firing a hopeless shot. Remember Patrick Ewing's layup that rolled out? There are enough variables to keep the ball advancement rule fair.

Who wants to see full court prayers anyway? This isn't the 80s and advancing the ball makes things more suspenseful.

king4day
05-23-2013, 05:04 PM
I don't mind it. As someone above said, I like when it benefits my team. But realistically, the spot you call timeout should be the spot you take the ball out. That's how it is in rec leagues. I wish the recs followed NBA though :)