PDA

View Full Version : Dwight Howard Deciding Between Lakers and Rockets

JordansBulls
05-22-2013, 11:49 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2013/05/21/los-angeles-lakers-dwight-howard-houston-rockets/2349105/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+UsatodaycomNba-TopStories+%28Sports+-+NBA+-+Top+Stories%29

Despite all signs pointing to his Lakers return late in the season, the star whose infamous indecisiveness led to his Orlando saga being dubbed "The Dwightmare" is – according to a person with knowledge of his situation – torn between the idea of Laker life or the notion of joining a Houston Rockets club that looks so much more appealing with James Harden & Co. in tow. The person spoke to USA TODAY Sports on the condition of anonymity because of the private nature of Howard's process.

Dade County
05-22-2013, 11:51 AM
NO!!!

Mods stop this NOW!

unless it's from Howard mouth, all these future threads should be closed.

GThawks
05-22-2013, 11:52 AM
All these sources are BS. I have seen one that says Howard will decide between to LA and Atlanta and another one that says LA and Houston. Nobody knows what will happen.

oak2455
05-22-2013, 12:02 PM
I heard the Bobcats ....but then went against it when hearing of their name change

justinnum1
05-22-2013, 12:10 PM
Nothing new. Houston is a much more attractive situation with a brighter future.

el hidalgo
05-22-2013, 12:12 PM
if he wants to go to a team that is an instant championship contender, hed pick the rockets. they also have a SG that is will to pass the bass

PraiseJesus
05-22-2013, 12:20 PM
Please goto Houston and gtfo of LA

DoMeFavors
05-22-2013, 12:25 PM
I cant see Dwight wanting to make 2 citys hate him, Kobe would be pissed if he chose Harden over him. Rockets Lakers rivalry would be good tho

LakersIn5
05-22-2013, 12:31 PM
neither team would win a ship next year so he might aswell stay with the lakers and get more money and try to recruit stars in 2014, add that to LAL being one of the best franchises in nba history.

310Casper
05-22-2013, 12:38 PM
Please goto Houston and gtfo of LA

shep33
05-22-2013, 12:39 PM
I'm a Laker fan and I'm tired of this already.

Stinkyoutsider
05-22-2013, 12:41 PM
If Howard was smart, he would go to the Rockets. He could be the number 1 offensive option (I'm sure Harden would share the ball) and he could be the face of the franchise and the vocal leader of the club (Harden seems like he's more reserved than Howard).

I'm not trusting any story unless I see Howard say it in a televised interview...

3RDASYSTEM
05-22-2013, 12:42 PM
neither team would win a ship next year so he might aswell stay with the lakers and get more money and try to recruit stars in 2014, add that to LAL being one of the best franchises in nba history.

HOU is no LA as far as championships but it is one of the best franchises in nba history,easily

they had twin towers before S.A., they won back to back titles like DET-CHI-BOS-LA

they had the so called GOAT's pick at C in HAKEEM(JORDAN said he would pick him over all centers)

now they have a nice nucleus and are on the rise after the injury filled era of YAO/TMAC

HOU would most definitely challenge for a Finals run if DWIGHT decides to take his talent there

players from all teams love HOU from what I heard, especially the ladies and real estate that's not too taxing

NeverSayNevur
05-22-2013, 12:42 PM
if he wants to go to a team that is an instant championship contender, hed pick the rockets. they also have a SG that is will to pass the bass

The bass? That means theyre going fishing.

el hidalgo
05-22-2013, 12:46 PM
The bass? That means theyre going fishing.

yeah, once kobe takes the fish off the hook for you he'll claim it as his own and refuse to give it back to you to filet. they call it hero fishing i believe.

oak2455
05-22-2013, 12:46 PM
I'm a Laker fan and I'm tired of this already.

he's not worth all this BS

Jint.
05-22-2013, 12:47 PM
how can Houston pay Dwight, Lin, Harden and Asik..?

Chronz
05-22-2013, 12:47 PM

Smart management

oak2455
05-22-2013, 12:49 PM
Smart management

NO REALLY?? lol ...... Lin doesn't equal smart anything

JordansBulls
05-22-2013, 01:03 PM

Maybe a sign and trade with Asik and Lin.

Bruno
05-22-2013, 01:23 PM

Kobe averaged more assits per game than james harden last year.

el hidalgo
05-22-2013, 01:25 PM

he also had dwight howard and pau gasol to dish it to. give harden those guys and he averages plenty more than kobe

Bruno
05-22-2013, 01:26 PM
If Howard was smart, he would go to the Rockets. He could be the number 1 offensive option (I'm sure Harden would share the ball) and he could be the face of the franchise and the vocal leader of the club (Harden seems like he's more reserved than Howard).

I'm not trusting any story unless I see Howard say it in a televised interview...

dwights never shot more than 13.4 times per game on any given season. if he pairs with Harden, Harden will still get more FGA and more points. he'll make more ft's per game as well.

being the vocal leader would be the bigger sell than the #1 option point. Howard isn't capable of getting lots of shots up every game on average.

Chronz
05-22-2013, 01:35 PM
NO REALLY?? lol ...... Lin doesn't equal smart anything
Prolly right but I dont think it was a dumb move either, most of his value was stunted with the acquisition of Harden but he played well enough with him.

So if his signing wasn't smart, the ability to pay all of them is a result of smart management.

houstonfan
05-22-2013, 01:38 PM

Most likely trade Asik. But if not thats 8 mil to Lin and Asik a year then two max contracts. Lin and Asiks contracts are not nearly as bad as people on this site make them out to be.

FOBolous
05-22-2013, 01:39 PM
I cant see Dwight wanting to make 2 citys hate him, Kobe would be pissed if he chose Harden over him. Rockets Lakers rivalry would be good tho

lol payback for taking Ron Artest

Bruno
05-22-2013, 01:43 PM
he also had dwight howard and pau gasol to dish it to. give harden those guys and he averages plenty more than kobe

Pau who played less than 50 games on a TS% of .51% in a system where he was completely misused and removed from the post? Harden wouldn't have been able to do anything about improving Pau game or getting lots of assists off Pau in last years Laker system. Maybe if Pau was transplanted into Houston and was healthy Harden could have complimented Paus game and improve his assist totals as well. Although that would be generous as well when you consider Paus lack of mobility/speed and the fact that Houston was ranked #1 in pace last season. I don't have to tell you how well Pau Gasol would perform in a run and gun system; he's a half court asset.

Harden and a healthy Howard would be deadly off pick and rolls, but that Howard wasn't available last year due to injury; Howard was ineffective in the pick and roll last year for Los Angeles. Harden is great off the pick and roll, but so is Steve Nash- and we saw how effective Howard and Nash were together when they were both on the floor with the pick and roll (okay, not great, rarely used). Asik only made two less shots per game than Howard last year. Asik made four less FGM per game last year than Howards all time career high. you're exaggerating exactly how much more assists Harden could rack with this duo. I see Harden toping out at 7 assists per game with that big men duo. Which is great, but you're making it seem like it would be apples and oranges- it wouldn't be. Harden is a SG. Harden would still put up more shots per game than either big and his assists numbers would be slightly higher. its not worlds apart.

Harden has the ability to average 6+ assists per game with talented big men. But it would have to be in the right system. I don't think last years Laker system or last years Rockets system (1st in pace) would have been the most beneficial to Harden racking more assists, or Pau/Howard becoming more efficient due to playing with James Harden over Kobe.

The opportunity for Dwight to be a leader, and the older veteran in a fresh city is the appeal. it's not about which SG is going to pass him the ball more...

FOBolous
05-22-2013, 01:44 PM

Houston actually still have cap room for 1 (almost) max contract. and it has several players who's contract either ends this year or it a team option. i'm sure Houston can make something happen by not extending and/or declining the team option for a few of their role players. that's worthwhile for a lineup of Lin/Harden/Parsons/Howard/Asik. and if Houston wants a deeper team, they can trade Asik for 2 or 3 decent role players.

FYL_McVeezy
05-22-2013, 01:54 PM
Houston would be the better destination for D12 because they have a guard in his prime who is willing to facilitate....

also McHale would make sure that D12 gets his touches...he's not a stubborn prick like Antoni....

Would D12 be willing to sacrifice the glitz, glam and endorsements waiting for him in LA to put himself in a better basketball position? That's the question here...

Teeboy1487
05-22-2013, 01:59 PM
Just leave already. Hopefully we suck so badly that we get the first pick in the draft next year while having cap.

sep11ie
05-22-2013, 02:03 PM

Wow, Kobe averaged 6 asst Harden averaged 5.9... Whoopty doo.

Bruno
05-22-2013, 02:05 PM
Houston would be the better destination for D12 because they have a guard in his prime who is willing to facilitate....

also McHale would make sure that D12 gets his touches...he's not a stubborn prick like Antoni....

Would D12 be willing to sacrifice the glitz, glam and endorsements waiting for him in LA to put himself in a better basketball position? That's the question here...

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/bryanko01/gamelog/2013/#1204-1239-sum:pgl_basic

these are Kobes numbers over the final 36 games of the regular season once he became the facilitator of the Laker offense. If you're SG averaging 25/6.4/7.5 assists per game as facilitator on 46% isn't good enough than nothing will be.

Bruno
05-22-2013, 02:05 PM

point remains, we're not talking about a drastic difference in the SGs ability to facilitate and distribute.

Max.This
05-22-2013, 02:06 PM
if Dwight leaves, Lakers going to get spoon fed Andrew wiggins

More-Than-Most
05-22-2013, 02:08 PM
Honestly I cant deal with this **** again. I was such a Howard fan before the Magic ******** and the months of will he or wont he. It was so much worse than the decision and he will make headlines often just to be in the news and be on the front page. He will not decide until the final day lol. **** you Howard.

FOBolous
05-22-2013, 02:08 PM

McHale was one of the best big man in history too. I'm sure he'll be able to coach Howard better than D'Antoni can.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/bryanko01/gamelog/2013/#1204-1239-sum:pgl_basic

these are Kobes numbers over the final 36 games of the regular season once he became the facilitator of the Laker offense. If you're SG averaging 25/6.4/7.5 assists per game as facilitator on 46% isn't good enough than nothing will be.

the thing is....that's not the "natural" thing for Kobe to do. sooner or later, he's going to revert to how he REALLY he then...

FYL_McVeezy
05-22-2013, 02:15 PM

And when exactly is Kobe coming back next season?

FYL_McVeezy
05-22-2013, 02:17 PM
McHale was one of the best big man in history too. I'm sure he'll be able to coach Howard better than D'Antoni can.

the thing is....that's not the "natural" thing for Kobe to do. sooner or later, he's going to revert to how he REALLY he then...

I was gonna add that into my reply.....but didn't wanna bother going back and forth on whether or not Kobe is a willing facilitator....

Fact of the matter is whether or not Kobe is a willing passer (let's just assume he is for the premise of this argument) Kobe does not have much longer to go....IF he even returns to basketball (still has a long rehab ahead of him) and we don't even know what kind of Kobe we will get if/when he returns....

Why go back to that situation where you're can join a 24 year old SG who is more than a willing facilitator...and a coach who is gonna make sure you are fed the ball.....

Snakeyestx
05-22-2013, 02:25 PM
It's pretty simple.

* Rockets waive Brooks, Delfino, don't pick up Garcia and there's already enough cap room to max Howard
* There's still enough cap left to pick up a "good deal" FA
* If Houston decides to Part ways with Lin (possible trade to a smaller market team for draft pick considerations to wipe his salary off the books), they could pick up Robinson who's an RFA and had a pretty stellar year considering he helped carry the Bulls without Rose
* Asik can easily move to the PF position (Where we're sort-of lacking right now) and a new "Twin-Towers" legacy begins
* Chandler Parsons - greatest value contract at SF we have and barely scratches our cap

What you're looking at potentially is a starting 5 like this :

Howard - 5
Asik - 4 (swings to 5 to relieve Howard if need be, Greg Smith plays the 4 or makes the perfect 3 man rotation at the 5)
Parsons - 3
Harden - 2
Lin or Robinson + Patrick Beverly - 1

One more bit of interest... two assistant coaches are interviewing for HC positions elsewhere - imagine Calvin Murphy getting picked up as a shooting coach to help Howard and Asik with their FT's and 10 footers?

Tell me that doesn't sound like a formula for success.

BenFrank
05-22-2013, 02:36 PM
I keep seeing Asik or Dwight being put in the PF position, I don't like that position for neither player.. I think Asik is the (expensive) back-up center or he get's traded in a S&T for Paul, Smith or LMA.. but that's just IMO

dee279
05-22-2013, 02:37 PM
It's pretty simple.

* Rockets waive Brooks, Delfino, don't pick up Garcia and there's already enough cap room to max Howard
* There's still enough cap left to pick up a "good deal" FA
* If Houston decides to Part ways with Lin (possible trade to a smaller market team for draft pick considerations to wipe his salary off the books), they could pick up Robinson who's an RFA and had a pretty stellar year considering he helped carry the Bulls without Rose
* Asik can easily move to the PF position (Where we're sort-of lacking right now) and a new "Twin-Towers" legacy begins
* Chandler Parsons - greatest value contract at SF we have and barely scratches our cap

What you're looking at potentially is a starting 5 like this :

Howard - 5
Asik - 4 (swings to 5 to relieve Howard if need be, Greg Smith plays the 4 or makes the perfect 3 man rotation at the 5)
Parsons - 3
Harden - 2
Lin or Robinson + Patrick Beverly - 1

One more bit of interest... two assistant coaches are interviewing for HC positions elsewhere - imagine Calvin Murphy getting picked up as a shooting coach to help Howard and Asik with their FT's and 10 footers?

Tell me that doesn't sound like a formula for success.

Asik at the four? Ewww. That would definitely hinder the offense.

Jenceman
05-22-2013, 02:44 PM
I heard the Bobcats ....but then went against it when hearing of their name change

OMG SOOOO MUCCHHHH BOOTTTYYYY

Stahp

Shlumpledink
05-22-2013, 02:52 PM
He told me last week that he wanted to join the Wizards, since the Wizards are a player away from the championship.

Snakeyestx
05-22-2013, 03:00 PM
Asik at the four? Ewww. That would definitely hinder the offense.

I'm not so sure... if you have Howard at the 5 for a low post option, Harden would definitely facilitate that easy basket. Lin could penetrate like he does, fail to take the shot like he does, hook around Howard, like he's been doing with Asik, and no-look to Howard for an easy dunk. Asik can be counted on for a dump-off pass for a dunk (he seems to enjoy dunking late in the season this year).

There's options out there.

97NYer
05-22-2013, 03:21 PM
Harden and Dwight is a duo that would actually work. With the floor spacing, Harden's passing ability, the extreme superiority of McHale's system to D'antoni's and Dwight once again becoming a number 1 option, I think this is extremely attractive to him and frankly his best option. Unless he teams up with CP3 in Atlanta, which would make the East very interesting.

fredv
05-22-2013, 03:27 PM
Using Houston as leverage so LA fires MDA and hires PJ back is what Dwight is doing.

He'll be a Laker when its said and done. And MDA is out.

Bruno
05-22-2013, 03:32 PM

i agree that it's not his preference to facilitate. but over the past 40 games when LA went 28-12 Kobe committed to facilitating because it was the only way they could win (especially with the nash injuries). Kobe only loves one thing more than scoring, and that's winning. Last season he committed to it and they won. At this stage in his career there's no reason to believe that he wouldn't do it again if it lead to team success. Next season when he comes back a half step slower he'll be more suited to facilitate than take over games with his scoring.

And it's not like he wasn't shooting and scoring as well when he became an effective facilitator (25 ppg on 46% FG).

And when exactly is Kobe coming back next season?

He'll be back by New Years at the latest imo.

Fact of the matter is whether or not Kobe is a willing passer (let's just assume he is for the premise of this argument) Kobe does not have much longer to go....IF he even returns to basketball (still has a long rehab ahead of him) and we don't even know what kind of Kobe we will get if/when he returns....

Why go back to that situation where you're can join a 24 year old SG who is more than a willing facilitator...and a coach who is gonna make sure you are fed the ball.....

well you gotta pick if Kobe being in Los Angeles is a reason why Dwight would leave, or a reason why Dwight would stay. you guys are essentially choosing both when you say 'he's going to leave because Kobe shoots too much and isn't a willing facilitator" and "he's going to leave because Kobe won't be there in a year or two". is kobes presence one that would reinforce Dwights decision to go to LA, or is Kobes presence why he would want to go to a team like Houston. know what i mean?

LA has always proven they can land and attract superstars. they just signed a multi-billion dollar deal with time warner cable last season. CBA woe or not, money is coming into the Lakers organization and if they commit to Howard they have an excellent track record with surrounding their stars with the proper pieces to get it done. Houston got very fortunate in landing James Harden, but they haven't proven themselves as a free agency hot spot. Would the combination of Howard and Harden be enough to land the #3 through free agency who would complete Houston as a legitimate title contender? Maybe.

Dwight being able to give it one more go with a core of Nash, Pau and Kobe (both expirings) next season while knowing that LAL would be able to surround him with tons of FA talent going into 2014-2015 is a competitive offer compared to paring up with James Harden, McHale and the Houston Rockets this sumer. Remember, Kobe and Pau coming off the books after next season clears up $50 million dollars in cap space. Players are going to come to Los Angeles in the post-Bryant era. the only question is will Dwight Howard be there to share in the success. LeBron will already be 29 later this year, the league is constantly aging and evolving. LAL is in prime position to reign once LBJ lead squads become vulnerable through age simply because of league circumstances, their finances, and ability to land free-agency who want to be part of the teams history and pocketbook.

FYL_McVeezy
05-22-2013, 04:18 PM
i agree that it's not his preference to facilitate. but over the past 40 games when LA went 28-12 Kobe committed to facilitating because it was the only way they could win (especially with the nash injuries). Kobe only loves one thing more than scoring, and that's winning. Last season he committed to it and they won. At this stage in his career there's no reason to believe that he wouldn't do it again if it lead to team success. Next season when he comes back a half step slower he'll be more suited to facilitate than take over games with his scoring.

And it's not like he wasn't shooting and scoring as well when he became an effective facilitator (25 ppg on 46% FG).

well you gotta pick if Kobe being in Los Angeles is a reason why Dwight would leave, or a reason why Dwight would stay. you guys are essentially choosing both when you say 'he's going to leave because Kobe shoots too much and isn't a willing facilitator" and "he's going to leave because Kobe won't be there in a year or two". is kobes presence one that would reinforce Dwights decision to go to LA, or is Kobes presence why he would want to go to a team like Houston. know what i mean?

LA has always proven they can land and attract superstars. they just signed a multi-billion dollar deal with time warner cable last season. CBA woe or not, money is coming into the Lakers organization and if they commit to Howard they have an excellent track record with surrounding their stars with the proper pieces to get it done. Houston got very fortunate in landing James Harden, but they haven't proven themselves as a free agency hot spot. Would the combination of Howard and Harden be enough to land the #3 through free agency who would complete Houston as a legitimate title contender? Maybe.

Dwight being able to give it one more go with a core of Nash, Pau and Kobe (both expirings) next season while knowing that LAL would be able to surround him with tons of FA talent going into 2014-2015 is a competitive offer compared to paring up with James Harden, McHale and the Houston Rockets this sumer. Remember, Kobe and Pau coming off the books after next season clears up $50 million dollars in cap space. Players are going to come to Los Angeles in the post-Bryant era. the only question is will Dwight Howard be there to share in the success. LeBron will already be 29 later this year, the league is constantly aging and evolving. LAL is in prime position to reign once LBJ lead squads become vulnerable through age simply because of league circumstances, their finances, and ability to land free-agency who want to be part of the teams history and pocketbook.

My main beef with D12 returning to LA isn't even Kobe (even though I think Rockets are the better fit). My argument about Kobe's passing/age is trivial at best compared to my argument about MDA as D12's coach.

The guy is a *******, you insist on running a scheme in which you do not have the pieces for, and you under utilize the pieces that you do have....you have a monster low block player, and you refuse to run plays for Dwight to operate on the low block...UNREAL....Great coaches adapt to their personnel and run an offense to maximize their talent. MDA has tried to fit square pegs into round holes his whole coaching career and has failed..

So the real reason why I feel LA is a bad fit for Dwight isn't necessarily Kobe....it's that ******* of a coach Antoni......

BigCityofDreams
05-22-2013, 04:23 PM
Using Houston as leverage so LA fires MDA and hires PJ back is what Dwight is doing.

IDK man I don't see them firing Mike at this point. He's buying homes and looking for a defensive coach.

ILLUSIONIST^248
05-22-2013, 04:24 PM
Dwight stays 100 percent.

Bruno
05-22-2013, 04:36 PM
My main beef with D12 returning to LA isn't even Kobe (even though I think Rockets are the better fit). My argument about Kobe's passing/age is trivial at best compared to my argument about MDA as D12's coach.

The guy is a *******, you insist on running a scheme in which you do not have the pieces for, and you under utilize the pieces that you do have....you have a monster low block player, and you refuse to run plays for Dwight to operate on the low block...UNREAL....Great coaches adapt to their personnel and run an offense to maximize their talent. MDA has tried to fit square pegs into round holes his whole coaching career and has failed..

So the real reason why I feel LA is a bad fit for Dwight isn't necessarily Kobe....it's that ******* of a coach Antoni......

i agree. MDA was never the right coach.

I'd like to think that if Dwight gave management the ultimatum of fire MDA or I'll walk, that they would bite the bullet and get it done.

FYL_McVeezy
05-22-2013, 04:46 PM
i agree. MDA was never the right coach.

I'd like to think that if Dwight gave management the ultimatum of fire MDA or I'll walk, that they would bite the bullet and get it done.

That's probably what it will take.....I don't see the Lakers willingly firing Antoni after giving him a contract after the past season started...

Also I'm not sure D12 wants to take another hit to his marketability by getting another coach fired...

Bruno
05-22-2013, 05:01 PM
That's probably what it will take.....I don't see the Lakers willingly firing Antoni after giving him a contract after the past season started...

Also I'm not sure D12 wants to take another hit to his marketability by getting another coach fired...

i don't think they'd willingly fire him but if it was an ultimatum I think they'd chose Dwight over MDA.

I'd like to think that ownership would take responsibility. plus, he's already disliked- another mini-controversy doesn't really change his public perception that much. staying and winning would (winning anywhere would). winning fixes everything.

we'll see, Houston is an interesting option for Dwight.

DillyDill
05-22-2013, 05:57 PM
I'll really be heartbroken if he left dont do it Superman. No kobe or Dwight at the start of season who would tune in for that??....will just have to play the wait and see game (hopefully he stays put)

THE MTL
05-22-2013, 06:00 PM
Imagine if Dwight Howard really did go to Houston? What would happen to the Lakers

enitialdee
05-22-2013, 06:30 PM
Imagine if Dwight Howard really did go to Houston? What would happen to the Lakers

They going to suck, get the #1 pick, draft Andrew Wiggin, and lakers fan will continue their cocky and obnoxious ways..

tr3ymill3r
05-22-2013, 06:37 PM
I think Dwight is as good as gone. Unless LA wants to pay 3 coaches, 2 in which aren't going to be used.

Raidaz4Life
05-22-2013, 06:50 PM
As impartial as i am to the whole thing, I think Dwight stays in LA.

ILLUSIONIST^248
05-22-2013, 06:56 PM
Pau who played less than 50 games on a TS% of .51% in a system where he was completely misused and removed from the post? Harden wouldn't have been able to do anything about improving Pau game or getting lots of assists off Pau in last years Laker system. Maybe if Pau was transplanted into Houston and was healthy Harden could have complimented Paus game and improve his assist totals as well. Although that would be generous as well when you consider Paus lack of mobility/speed and the fact that Houston was ranked #1 in pace last season. I don't have to tell you how well Pau Gasol would perform in a run and gun system; he's a half court asset.

Harden and a healthy Howard would be deadly off pick and rolls, but that Howard wasn't available last year due to injury; Howard was ineffective in the pick and roll last year for Los Angeles. Harden is great off the pick and roll, but so is Steve Nash- and we saw how effective Howard and Nash were together when they were both on the floor with the pick and roll (okay, not great, rarely used). Asik only made two less shots per game than Howard last year. Asik made four less FGM per game last year than Howards all time career high. you're exaggerating exactly how much more assists Harden could rack with this duo. I see Harden toping out at 7 assists per game with that big men duo. Which is great, but you're making it seem like it would be apples and oranges- it wouldn't be. Harden is a SG. Harden would still put up more shots per game than either big and his assists numbers would be slightly higher. its not worlds apart.

Harden has the ability to average 6+ assists per game with talented big men. But it would have to be in the right system. I don't think last years Laker system or last years Rockets system (1st in pace) would have been the most beneficial to Harden racking more assists, or Pau/Howard becoming more efficient due to playing with James Harden over Kobe.

The opportunity for Dwight to be a leader, and the older veteran in a fresh city is the appeal. it's not about which SG is going to pass him the ball more...

El Hidalgo is a huge troll, and also lost an account bet vs me. Don't give him the attention he craves bro. He's not worth it.

ManRam
05-22-2013, 06:57 PM
I'll really be heartbroken if he left dont do it Superman. No kobe or Dwight at the start of season who would tune in for that??....will just have to play the wait and see game (hopefully he stays put)

welcome to the life of....most every other NBA fan at some point over the past 20 years.

doubt you'll find much sympathy.

ILLUSIONIST^248
05-22-2013, 06:58 PM

6>5.9;)

odiz
05-22-2013, 07:00 PM

A healthy Dwight on the Rockets makes them genuine contenders. Especially when they could potentially go over the cap/trade Lin or Asik and sign another top FA like Josh Smith.

odiz
05-22-2013, 07:03 PM
I wonder why the Spurs are not ever brought up as a suitor for Dwight. They have $20+ mil in cap space next year. Dwight would get a chance to play along side Duncan for a few more years when they would probably be favorites in the West. After that Parker would still be around, they have a lot of other nice young pieces and Howard would get to be the face of the franchise like he craves.

ILLUSIONIST^248
05-22-2013, 07:05 PM

100 percent this.

ILLUSIONIST^248
05-22-2013, 07:07 PM

You kick nothing but *** when you post, you should more often.

sep11ie
05-22-2013, 07:39 PM
Bruno, that's true about Kobe, but that's still not his game. That IS in fact Harden's game. He's comfortable as a facilitator, passing is a strength of his. He's only going to get better also. Many already call him the best 2 in the league. You know what happens when the best SG and the best C team up?

D-Leethal
05-22-2013, 07:49 PM
Dwight doesn't want pressure, he wants to have fun and hopefully win rings while he's at it. He doesn't want anyone to push him harder than he wants to go, he wants to be loved and adored by his fanbased, not microanalyzed and dissected.

Its obvious where he is gonna go. But you never know, he can resign with LA on a whim and regret it again like he did when he picked up his option with the Magic like a day after beating Miami and than regretting it one mini losing streak later.

GThawks
05-22-2013, 08:11 PM
Why do people think Houston is the best option for him?? He needs to try to convince Paul to team up in ATL. Both are from the east coast and neither LA team has a shot at the championship.

Paul/Horford/Howard >>>>Harden/Howard

GThawks
05-22-2013, 08:22 PM
From hoopshype
"A league source says Chris Paul will check out other teams, as Howard is expected to do. If Paul leaves, it could could pose a problem for the Lakers, who had enough already, if he and Dwight Howard decide to create a new option, joining up in Atlanta. Howard and Paul are pals. The Hawks can open up two maximum slots. They mused about Atlanta (D12’s from there, CP3 from North Carolina) years ago, before fate led them in other directions."

DillyDill
05-22-2013, 08:42 PM
welcome to the life of....most every other NBA fan at some point over the past 20 years.

doubt you'll find much sympathy.

Lol yea your right, but every great team has there era of dominance and by the looks of it the lakers era is just about ending. But ill be just fine with Howard decision because I'm a strong believer in the Laker management. They've made crazy unthinkable things before and I know in my heart they will again

SouthSideRookie
05-22-2013, 09:13 PM
Why do people think Houston is the best option for him?? He needs to try to convince Paul to team up in ATL. Both are from the east coast and neither LA team has a shot at the championship.

Paul/Horford/Howard >>>>Harden/Howard

because Harden > anyone on the Hawks roster. Houston could also make CP+Dwight happen by the way. Although I think it's unlikely Paul goes anywhere.

GThawks
05-22-2013, 09:32 PM
because Harden > anyone on the Hawks roster. Houston could also make CP+Dwight happen by the way. Although I think it's unlikely Paul goes anywhere.

How can they make it happen? If they can they'd have to get rid/trade many players so seriously doubt that happens. Hawks are the only team that can sign two max contracts.

MrfadeawayJB
05-22-2013, 09:33 PM
There is a 100% chance he will be a rocket next year

Cracka2HI!
05-22-2013, 10:27 PM
I believe Howard will pick the Lakers be miserable with the choice and the circus will continue when 2014 turns out to be fools gold. I'm not sure who everyone thinks is really available in 2014 because Lebron James isn't going to the Lakers.

DODGERS&LAKERS
05-22-2013, 10:44 PM
Bruno, that's true about Kobe, but that's still not his game. That IS in fact Harden's game. He's comfortable as a facilitator, passing is a strength of his. He's only going to get better also. Many already call him the best 2 in the league. You know what happens when the best SG and the best C team up?

I am sorry but how do you know Harden is a facilitator? He has had an Assist% of 12.3, 12.8, 19.3, and 25.7. With high turnover percentages of 13.4, 11.3, 14.8, and 14.9. Those numbers do not scream great facilitator to me.

DODGERS&LAKERS
05-22-2013, 10:51 PM
I believe Howard will pick the Lakers be miserable with the choice and the circus will continue when 2014 turns out to be fools gold. I'm not sure who everyone thinks is really available in 2014 because Lebron James isn't going to the Lakers.

The Lakers don't have to sign Lebron. There are many great free agents that year and the Lakers could sign two to add to Howard or sign three to max deals if Howard leaves. Just Google "2014 NBA Free Agents"

Cracka2HI!
05-22-2013, 11:54 PM
The Lakers don't have to sign Lebron. There are many great free agents that year and the Lakers could sign two to add to Howard or sign three to max deals if Howard leaves. Just Google "2014 NBA Free Agents"

2014 is a dream scenario like 2008 was supposed to be when everyone re-signed with their own team. Some of the best players can opt out but aren't likely to IMO. There are also some great restricted FA's but their teams will most like retain them IMO. Here is a list of the best unrestricted FA's...it's not a list that can turn a team into a Championship contender;

Bryant
Dirk
Deng
Bogut
Gortat
Pau Gasol
Granger

kobe4thewinbang
05-23-2013, 12:02 AM
Seriously, close this. Nothing new here. If there must be a DH thread, make 1 and only merge quality reports.

sep11ie
05-23-2013, 12:13 AM
^back seat mod

kobe4thewinbang
05-23-2013, 12:16 AM
^back seat modHa, just speaking the truth. Do we really need a million of these speculation threads?

sep11ie
05-23-2013, 12:46 AM
I agree with you. Just kiddin.

Utd7
05-23-2013, 12:47 AM
Be prepared I can see this dragging out well into July. Dwight is such an indecisive diva sometimes.

Purple_n_Gold
05-23-2013, 01:15 AM
I told you to just be yourself bro. I was trying to sincerely help you and look what you did to yourself.

Cracka2HI!
05-23-2013, 02:18 AM
I wonder if Josh Smith is the key. If either Houston can find a way to land Smoove maybe they land Howard too. If they can trade Asik for Smith they would have a pretty amazing starting 5.

C Howard
PF Smith
SF Parsons
SG Harden
PG Lin

Cracka2HI!
05-23-2013, 02:20 AM
I wonder if Josh Smith is the key. If either Houston can find a way to land Smoove maybe they land Howard too. If they can trade Asik for Smith they would have a pretty amazing starting 5.

C Howard
PF Smith
SF Parsons
SG Harden
PG Lin

OceanSpray
05-23-2013, 02:21 AM
Woah, 2014 is going to shape the NBA for many years to come. Rest assured, I think Howard needs to wait for LeBron. These two will dominate together.

shep33
05-23-2013, 02:44 AM
Oddly enough, I think Josh Smith + Dwight is a horrible idea.

kobe4thewinbang
05-23-2013, 02:58 AM
Oddly enough, I think Josh Smith + Dwight is a horrible idea.Yeah, let's not forget those mindless shots J-Smoove likes to take.

shep33
05-23-2013, 03:10 AM
Yeah, let's not forget those mindless shots J-Smoove likes to take.

Absolutely. Milsap would be a much better fit.

kobe4thewinbang
05-23-2013, 04:21 AM
Absolutely. Milsap would be a much better fit.He's definitely a workhorse with a pretty stroke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCiHOpNJXnc

Any team could use that fire.

c.c.
05-23-2013, 05:54 AM
lol payback for taking Ron Artest

:clap:

fresh prince
05-23-2013, 07:04 AM
I was gonna add that into my reply.....but didn't wanna bother going back and forth on whether or not Kobe is a willing facilitator....

It makes too much sense for Howard to go to Houston. he is so dumb on and off the court that he probably wont tho. Saddling the us Laker fans with a pseudo star instead of the real star we are used to for years to come.

fresh prince
05-23-2013, 07:06 AM
:clap:

Most Laker fans want Howard gone.. Wasn't that the sentiment for Ron Ron as well?

Simmo
05-23-2013, 07:36 AM
who cares? as Shaq and Sir Charles have said previously, the guy still doesn't have an un-guardable 'go to' move that all great players have.. also, this would be his 3rd team - doesn't look good? I personally think that he 'appears' to be a poisonous player within a team dynamic. He should have stayed in Orlando.

fredv
05-23-2013, 08:18 AM
Rockets fan here. I'll clear up a couple of cap questions going on here (concerning the Rockets).

First of all, some of the veteran players contracts are coming off the books June 30th, and the Rockets won't pick up there options so this means the Rockets can sign Dwight without having to do a sign & trade, they can just sign him outright. They have the space. Under the new CBA, players CAN'T get better contracts through sign & trades. So it isn't interesting for the Rockets or even for Dwight Howard.

“You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.”
Secondly, it is possible for the Rockets to sign both Howard and Chris Paul. How could they possibly manage to do this? There are several possibilities, most of which are very slim.
1- Both sign and take a steep pay-cut. (highly unlikely)
2- The Rockets trade a contract such as Lin to a team with cap-space and take back no salary. (future draft considerations). They would probably have to do that with Asik as well. (unlikely because difficult to find teams ready to take back salary without giving some back).
3- Do sign & trade with the Lakers/Clippers to get the third star. However, it would be extremely difficult for two-reasons:

a) Both players would have to take a little bit less than the max. Not much, just a little. This is a "minor" problem considering the marketing/success they would have by forming a second SuperTeam (CP3-Harden-Dwight) and therefore more $$$.

b) The team that does the sign & trade with the Rockets (Lakers or Clippers depending which one signs straight up) would need to AGREE to a sign & trade. Basically allowing a SuperTeam to be created in there same conference infront of your eyes. This is where I see this as close to impossible. But you never know, the Rockets FO is extremely creative, and you've seen stupid decisions made in the past (Denver facilitating Howard to LA - which at the time created another superteam, everyone thought they would cruise to the Finals - while being in the same conference).

4- Sign Howard now, and sign a 3rd (4th?) star in 2015 when Asik & Lin both come off the books. This is the most likely scenario, but won't happen until 2015 and the scenarios are likely to change until then (read: I don't believe Asik & Lin will still be there by 2015). (I put "4th?" star as a question mark because Parsons could develop into that 3rd star if he continues to improve).

So there it is for the money-part of the business. I hope you guys understand a little better what the Rockets cap situation is right now. I know its hard for a fan of another team to know cap-situations of every nba team.

I'll just end here with my predictions:

I think Howard will stay in LA (and they'll hire back PJ either straight in the FO or as coach for a year-two tops to finish with Kobe then join the FO permanently). (italic meaning this is really a guess).
70% chance LA, 20% HOU & 10% elsewhere.
I'd like to be wrong, I really would, because Howard in Houston gives them a great team and some good options because they still can move guys around.
CP3 will stay with the Clippers as well. He can basically hand pick his coach since Del Negro hasn't extended. So he'll most likely stay, despite what reports say. (don't believe everything you hear/read!)

Dream feasible scenario (outside of the obvious Howard+CP3 signing which is close to impossible):

Howard signs with Houston.
Houston then moves Asik for a starting-caliber stretch PF who comes off the books in 2014. You have to trade Asik anyway if Howard signs, they can't play together, that would clog the paint way too much for Harden, and McHale loves stretch 4s who can shoot the long jumper/3-ball.
Houston then becomes a player in the 2014 free agency (wade, lebron, bosh) (because they can make moves (trade Lin) and have enough cap to sign another slightly-under-the-max contract.

If Howard signs in Houston, I believe trading Lin/Asik for a starter who comes off the books in 2014 is the kind of move Morey would make. Going forward he is going to position himself for FA's to come.

When its said and done, even if Howard doesn't sign with the Rockets, they will position themselves to be true championship contenders in the future. There is no doubt about that. Morey is way too smart to waste Harden's contract.

TL;DR: The Rockets can sign Dwight without making any moves (they have enough cap), and can make moves (difficult) to sign another star (CP3) with him.

Simmo
05-23-2013, 08:23 AM
does Jeremy Lin have a long term future at the Rockets? My take on him is that he is a very good, and smart, team man but does he have the game to be a player in the finals? I suspect he will end up as a very good bench player in a top team, which the Rockets will be, rather than a starter.

JordansBulls
05-23-2013, 09:46 AM
PG Beverly
SG Harden
SF Parsons
PF Asik
C Dwight

Chronz
05-23-2013, 10:48 AM
PG Beverly
SG Harden
SF Parsons
PF Asik
C Dwight
Dwight would be the 4, like he was in his youth

Hustla23
05-23-2013, 11:04 AM
PG Beverly
SG Harden
SF Parsons
PF Asik
C Dwight

Damn, this is like a hyper-version of the Bulls + Harden. Absolute domination in the paint.

alexander_37
05-23-2013, 11:16 AM
does Jeremy Lin have a long term future at the Rockets? My take on him is that he is a very good, and smart, team man but does he have the game to be a player in the finals? I suspect he will end up as a very good bench player in a top team, which the Rockets will be, rather than a starter.

I think so, he played pretty well.

fredv
05-23-2013, 12:18 PM
PG Beverly
SG Harden
SF Parsons
PF Asik
C Dwight

No way they keep Asik if they sign Dwight. Both are CENTERS. And Asik's value is at an all-time high right now with an amazing contract to boot with. Morey will capitalize on that.

htownlegend
05-23-2013, 01:14 PM
No way they keep Asik if they sign Dwight. Both are CENTERS. And Asik's value is at an all-time high right now with an amazing contract to boot with. Morey will capitalize on that.

I'd let them run together until the trade deadline and deal Asik if it aint working. That Defense would be redonkulous..

fredv
05-23-2013, 06:13 PM
I'd let them run together until the trade deadline and deal Asik if it aint working. That Defense would be redonkulous..

Yeah and the paint would be CLOGGED offensively. Both like to stay in the post offensively. No way Harden/Lin/Parsons could penetrate.

DillyDill
05-23-2013, 09:34 PM
Rockets fan here. I'll clear up a couple of cap questions going on here (concerning the Rockets).

First of all, some of the veteran players contracts are coming off the books June 30th, and the Rockets won't pick up there options so this means the Rockets can sign Dwight without having to do a sign & trade, they can just sign him outright. They have the space. Under the new CBA, players CAN'T get better contracts through sign & trades. So it isn't interesting for the Rockets or even for Dwight Howard.

“You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.”
Secondly, it is possible for the Rockets to sign both Howard and Chris Paul. How could they possibly manage to do this? There are several possibilities, most of which are very slim.
1- Both sign and take a steep pay-cut. (highly unlikely)
2- The Rockets trade a contract such as Lin to a team with cap-space and take back no salary. (future draft considerations). They would probably have to do that with Asik as well. (unlikely because difficult to find teams ready to take back salary without giving some back).
3- Do sign & trade with the Lakers/Clippers to get the third star. However, it would be extremely difficult for two-reasons:

a) Both players would have to take a little bit less than the max. Not much, just a little. This is a "minor" problem considering the marketing/success they would have by forming a second SuperTeam (CP3-Harden-Dwight) and therefore more $$$.

b) The team that does the sign & trade with the Rockets (Lakers or Clippers depending which one signs straight up) would need to AGREE to a sign & trade. Basically allowing a SuperTeam to be created in there same conference infront of your eyes. This is where I see this as close to impossible. But you never know, the Rockets FO is extremely creative, and you've seen stupid decisions made in the past (Denver facilitating Howard to LA - which at the time created another superteam, everyone thought they would cruise to the Finals - while being in the same conference).

4- Sign Howard now, and sign a 3rd (4th?) star in 2015 when Asik & Lin both come off the books. This is the most likely scenario, but won't happen until 2015 and the scenarios are likely to change until then (read: I don't believe Asik & Lin will still be there by 2015). (I put "4th?" star as a question mark because Parsons could develop into that 3rd star if he continues to improve).

So there it is for the money-part of the business. I hope you guys understand a little better what the Rockets cap situation is right now. I know its hard for a fan of another team to know cap-situations of every nba team.

I'll just end here with my predictions:

I think Howard will stay in LA (and they'll hire back PJ either straight in the FO or as coach for a year-two tops to finish with Kobe then join the FO permanently). (italic meaning this is really a guess).
70% chance LA, 20% HOU & 10% elsewhere.
I'd like to be wrong, I really would, because Howard in Houston gives them a great team and some good options because they still can move guys around.
CP3 will stay with the Clippers as well. He can basically hand pick his coach since Del Negro hasn't extended. So he'll most likely stay, despite what reports say. (don't believe everything you hear/read!)

Dream feasible scenario (outside of the obvious Howard+CP3 signing which is close to impossible):

Howard signs with Houston.
Houston then moves Asik for a starting-caliber stretch PF who comes off the books in 2014. You have to trade Asik anyway if Howard signs, they can't play together, that would clog the paint way too much for Harden, and McHale loves stretch 4s who can shoot the long jumper/3-ball.
Houston then becomes a player in the 2014 free agency (wade, lebron, bosh) (because they can make moves (trade Lin) and have enough cap to sign another slightly-under-the-max contract.

If Howard signs in Houston, I believe trading Lin/Asik for a starter who comes off the books in 2014 is the kind of move Morey would make. Going forward he is going to position himself for FA's to come.

When its said and done, even if Howard doesn't sign with the Rockets, they will position themselves to be true championship contenders in the future. There is no doubt about that. Morey is way too smart to waste Harden's contract.

TL;DR: The Rockets can sign Dwight without making any moves (they have enough cap), and can make moves (difficult) to sign another star (CP3) with him.

Wow I love how how you broke this down. I'm really amazed as to how many options Superman has I can't wait for this to get started

JordansBulls
05-23-2013, 10:16 PM

They would have to wait for Lebron in 2014.

c.c.
05-23-2013, 10:25 PM
Most Laker fans want Howard gone.. Wasn't that the sentiment for Ron Ron as well?

Kinda sort of, but with Ron Artest its kinda foul. T-mac was injured &Yao went out in game 4 but we still managed to take the Lakers to game 7 in the western semi-finals. In that game 7, all Artest did was jack up 3's and played with no heart like he'd already made a deal with Lakers. Then come off-season, he signs there!

Wes_Craven
05-23-2013, 11:15 PM
Question(this just came to me)?

Not too sure about cap situations, but could the Hawks potentially sign both Howard & Paul and then package Horford/Teague to New Orleans for Eric Gordon?

If so, I would consider ATL a threat as well(I honestly don't care where Howard goes).

Jenceman
05-23-2013, 11:36 PM

Speak for yourself. We all know how genius your thoughts on FO moves are. Where's Johnny Flynn?

thomass
05-23-2013, 11:41 PM

Not too sure about cap situations, but could the Hawks potentially sign both Howard & Paul and then package Horford/Teague to New Orleans for Eric Gordon?

If so, I would consider ATL a threat as well(I honestly don't care where Howard goes).

In any case, a league source says Paul will check out other teams, as Howard is expected to do. If Paul leaves, it could could pose a problem for the Lakers, who had enough already, if he and Dwight Howard decide to create a new option, joining up in Atlanta. Howard and Paul are pals. The Hawks can open up two maximum slots. They mused about Atlanta (D12’s from there, CP3 from North Carolina) years ago, before fate led them in other directions.

http://www.lakersnation.com/free-agents-dwight-howard-chris-paul-planning-atlanta-rendezvous/2013/05/21/

Krizzle88
05-23-2013, 11:50 PM
how the hell is he gonna go to Houston when they have osik 25 million

Wes_Craven
05-24-2013, 12:12 AM
http://www.lakersnation.com/free-agents-dwight-howard-chris-paul-planning-atlanta-rendezvous/2013/05/21/

Paul
Gordon
Korver
Smith
Howard

Is a pretty solid, well-balanced starting five. The Hawks could just re-sign all their free agents because they can pay them while being over the cap(Stevenson, Pachulia etc.).

lol, please
05-24-2013, 12:23 AM
If by Lakers and Rockets you mean Warriors, then I agree.

GThawks
05-24-2013, 12:44 AM

No way we're trading Horford especially if we signed Howard and Paul. Horford could move to his natural position and would work well next to Howard. I think we'd try to resign Korver and Lou Williams will be back next year and he played well before his injury. I think well try to package our two first round picks (17, 18) to move up in the draft.

fredv
05-24-2013, 07:46 AM
MWP won't be a Laker next season.

Heediot
05-24-2013, 08:26 AM
Howard should go to Houston but he should not play GM. Asik would be helpful for him defensively, but offensively he's better off with a complementary big.