PDA

View Full Version : Clippers will not renew Vinny Del Negro's contract

29$JerZ
05-21-2013, 02:44 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 15s
The Clippers have fired Vinny Del Negro, source tells Y!
Cue the KIA commercial

HYFR
05-21-2013, 02:46 PM
Superstars run teams. Don't let anyone tell you different

kdspurman
05-21-2013, 02:47 PM
Don Sterling was at the Spurs/Grizzlies game too... No one was sure why... "Speculation" was to scout Lionel Hollins.

Marc Stein ✔ @ESPNSteinLine
Hottest theory circulating here in San Antonio is that Donald Sterling was at Game 1 sitting across from Grizz bench to scout Lionel Hollins

Vinny642
05-21-2013, 02:49 PM
Bad business

king4day
05-21-2013, 02:51 PM
If I'm Hollins, I'd rather keep the Memphis job. They have good pieces in place.

NYKnickFanatic
05-21-2013, 02:52 PM
Don Sterling was at the Spurs/Grizzlies game too... No one was sure why... "Speculation" was to scout Lionel Hollins.

Lionel Hollins? So I'm guessing his contract is up after this season?

If the Grizzlies go to the Finals, I expect him back.

NYKnickFanatic
05-21-2013, 02:52 PM
If I'm Hollins, I'd rather keep the Memphis job. They have good pieces in place.

This.

NYKnickFanatic
05-21-2013, 02:53 PM
Imagine Phil Jackson to the Clippers. That would be great. :laugh2:

Shlumpledink
05-21-2013, 02:54 PM
Lionel isn't leaving.

kylem4711
05-21-2013, 02:55 PM
WOOOOHOOOOOO

Later Del Negro

kdspurman
Lionel Hollins? So I'm guessing his contract is up after this season?

If the Grizzlies go to the Finals, I expect him back.

Right, it's up at the end of the season and the Grizz haven't offered him an extension yet. Gotta think they would after this years run.

UPRock
About time.

ILLUSIONIST^248
05-21-2013, 02:56 PM

I would shoot my self. There is 0 chance that happens though.

NYKnickFanatic
05-21-2013, 02:56 PM
Right, it's up at the end of the season and the Grizz haven't offered him an extension yet. Gotta think they would after this years run.

Yeah, you would expect them to. Unless they have someone else in mind. Jerry Sloan?

NYKnickFanatic
05-21-2013, 02:57 PM

Lol, you never know.

Hawkeye15
05-21-2013, 02:57 PM
you're welcome CP3

DoMeFavors
05-21-2013, 02:59 PM
I could see Jerry Sloan

NYKnickFanatic
05-21-2013, 03:00 PM
you're welcome CP3

"If you want me to re-sign, Vinny gotta go."

Cromedome
05-21-2013, 03:01 PM
Was Vinny Del N-word really that bad a coach for the Clippers?

Clippersfan86
05-21-2013, 03:01 PM
OMG! I'm about to cry tears of joy. Now that's only half the battle. Next step is hiring a GREAT coach, not a mediocre one CP3 chooses like Byron Scott.

D-Leethal
05-21-2013, 03:04 PM

I hear you but coaches want fame, money and recognition just like anyone at the top of their craft. He gets zero credit as a top notch coach in Memphis. I think either NJ or LAC go after him hard and they should - he is a hell of a coach. Memphis is gonna have to ante up to keep him.

BigBlueCrew
05-21-2013, 03:05 PM

I could definitely see him taking this job. Its in LA, close to the girlfriend, lots of stars already in their prime and up and coming ones.

Clippersfan86
05-21-2013, 03:05 PM
Vinny would be AMAZING for a rebuilding team because he's a superb talent developer (for some) and he's a guy who lets you play through things. I can see him thriving bigtime on a team like the Bobcats who need a new culture. I wish him well. Shocked Sterling had the balls to fire his buddy.

kdspurman
05-21-2013, 03:08 PM
Yeah, you would expect them to. Unless they have someone else in mind. Jerry Sloan?

Ha, who knows. I think Sloan would like that opportunity that's for sure. I feel like that's a better environment for him vs the Clippers.

kylem4711
05-21-2013, 03:09 PM
I could definitely see him taking this job. Its in LA, close to the girlfriend, lots of stars already in their prime and up and coming ones.

he hates sterling. never gonna happen

MrfadeawayJB
05-21-2013, 03:10 PM
Good move for the clips

king4day
05-21-2013, 03:11 PM
Updated the thread title. Woj corrected himself indicating that his contract had expired and he's simply not going to be renewed.

Dade County
05-21-2013, 03:11 PM
Good move...

Now go get Jerry Sloan or Brain Shaw.

This off-season will define the Clippers for the next 5yrs.

kdspurman
05-21-2013, 03:12 PM
Del Negro, is really out of timeouts now :/

kylem4711
05-21-2013, 03:14 PM
so what are the realistic options?

Sloan
Van Gundy (either one)
Byron Scott
Avery Johnson (ew)
Nate Mcmillin
Scott Skiles
John Calipari

Clippersfan86
05-21-2013, 03:16 PM
Good move...

Now go get Jerry Sloan or Brain Shaw.

This off-season will define the Clippers for the next 5yrs.

For once we agree. EASILY the biggest offseason in team history. If they drop the ball and hire a mediocre coach like Alvin Gentry they will NOT become a true contender. Go swing for the homerun and try for Sloan, PJ, SVG, JVG and you contend for 5+ years.

foonaka
05-21-2013, 03:20 PM
I can see Byron Scott taking this job. Wasn't him leaving New Orleans a big reason CP3 wanted out? Plus he had his best years with Scott coaching him.

There's no way Phil Jackson comes in to coach. He's said numerous times lately that he is done coaching for good, but would gladly take a front office job.

Clippersfan86
05-21-2013, 03:23 PM
I'm okay with Byron because although his offense is equally lame... he's far tougher and will push these players. Unlike Vinny he will get in ANYBODY's face including Blake and CP3. He also is good with developing young players.

sep11ie
05-21-2013, 03:25 PM
Yes Lionel, it is you they're looking for.

ILLUSIONIST^248
05-21-2013, 03:26 PM
Lol, you never know.

That's like owning a Ferrari, then buying a Honda because you could.Lol

Clippersfan86
05-21-2013, 03:26 PM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-vinny-del-negro-clippers-20130521,0,6555929.story

"Former Cleveland Cavaliers coach Byron Scott, Golden State Warriors assistant coach Mike Malone and San Antonio Spurs assistant coach Mike Budenholzer are the top candidates, one executive said.

Former Phoenix Suns coach Alvin Gentry and Indiana Pacers assistant coach Brian Shaw are being considered as well, another executive said.

ESPN analyst Jeff Van Gundy also is said to be a candidate.

Atlanta Coach Larry Drew, whose job status with the Hawks remains uncertain, is interested in the Clippers’ job, several executives said."

Glad to see JVG is a top candidate. Larry Drew wants this job but no way should we give him it.

LongWayFromHome
05-21-2013, 03:28 PM
Lionel isn't leaving.

$

kdspurman
05-21-2013, 03:28 PM
so what are the realistic options?

Sloan
Van Gundy (either one)
Byron Scott
Avery Johnson (ew)
Nate Mcmillin
Scott Skiles
John Calipari

I don't think SVG is an option. He recently came out and said he's not planning on coaching next season, he's enjoying time with his family. Could change of course, but that was the latest on him.

OceanSpray
05-21-2013, 03:30 PM
Took them awhile. Can't believe this fool still has a job.

Clippersfan86
05-21-2013, 03:30 PM
Names I'm hearing: Byron Scott, Alvin Gentry, Mike Malone, Stan Van Gundy, Mike Budenholzer. I'm sure list is bigger.

-Dan Woike (Clippers writer)

So this means both Van Gundy's in the fold. Awesome. Unfortunately not hearing a single word about Jerry Sloan ;(.

Tony_Starks
05-21-2013, 03:53 PM
If they're smart they'll get B Shaw instead of just recycling some old coach. And if they do then as a Laker fan yes I will cry.....

kdspurman
05-21-2013, 03:55 PM
Names I'm hearing: Byron Scott, Alvin Gentry, Mike Malone, Stan Van Gundy, Mike Budenholzer. I'm sure list is bigger.

-Dan Woike (Clippers writer)

So this means both Van Gundy's in the fold. Awesome. Unfortunately not hearing a single word about Jerry Sloan ;(.

Doesn't seem like a "Sloan" kind of environment. Granted he was with primarily 1 team (few early years with Chicago), but (and this is just my opinion) he strikes me as a guy more comfortable/suited with a small market team/environment.

The latest with Stan I saw was he was not coming back next season.

“As you get down the road more and the longer you are out, the harder it is to get back in and that was certainly a difficult part of the decision process for me because it's certainly something that I miss and don't want to close the door on for the rest of my life, but, it is not right now anyway, in the best interest of my family, so it won't be next year.”

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/22278119/stan-van-gundy-says-he-will-not-coach-next-season

Clippersfan86
05-21-2013, 03:58 PM
Doesn't seem like a "Sloan" kind of environment. Granted he was with primarily 1 team (few early years with Chicago), but (and this is just my opinion) he strikes me as a guy more comfortable/suited with a small market team/environment.

The latest with Stan I saw was he was not coming back next season.

“As you get down the road more and the longer you are out, the harder it is to get back in and that was certainly a difficult part of the decision process for me because it's certainly something that I miss and don't want to close the door on for the rest of my life, but, it is not right now anyway, in the best interest of my family, so it won't be next year.”

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/22278119/stan-van-gundy-says-he-will-not-coach-next-season

I know it's unlikely he returns but IF he does it will be for the Clippers. He didn't want the Nets job and the only better job IMO for an experienced coach is the Clippers one. He didn't want to coach probably because it was either Nets or lotto teams till this one opened up. It will be interesting to see what he said if a team with Blake+CP3+ assets LA with beautiful weather hits him up about the job. Also agree Sloan doesn't seem enamored with a big city job like these other coaches would be.

Stunner
05-21-2013, 03:59 PM
Vinny to the Cha

Stunner
05-21-2013, 04:00 PM
I told everyone B Scott could wind up on LA with CP3 again

zn23
05-21-2013, 04:02 PM
Clippers fans should be jumping for joy right now. Finally they make a step in the right direction. Vinny was never going to lead this team to a title.

Now lets see what they do they next. Hopefully they hire an experienced coach that can get the best out of the team.

kdspurman
05-21-2013, 04:02 PM
I know it's unlikely he returns but IF he does it will be for the Clippers. He didn't want the Nets job and the only better job IMO for an experienced coach is the Clippers one. He didn't want to coach probably because it was either Nets or lotto teams till this one opened up. It will be interesting to see what he said if a team with Blake+CP3+ assets LA with beautiful weather hits him up about the job. Also agree Sloan doesn't seem enamored with a big city job like these other coaches would be.

I think Byron would be a good fit there personally. Obviously JVG would be great too

NYKnickFanatic
05-21-2013, 04:05 PM
I think Byron would be a good fit there personally. Obviously JVG would be great too

I'd love to see JVG coaching again, but then I'd miss him as an analyst. Lol

Clippersfan86
05-21-2013, 04:10 PM
I'm down with Byron. Not a huge upgrade overall BUT style wise he's a big upgrade. He's defensive minded, gritty and will NOT hesitate to get in players faces. Our guys don't need another pushover they need a ferocious coach who will obliterate them when they pull that primmadonna ********.

kdspurman
05-21-2013, 04:12 PM
I'd love to see JVG coaching again, but then I'd miss him as an analyst. Lol

Yea, I love listening to him call games. I could only hope if he left, Stan would take over his spot on ESPN/ABC. Those guys call it like they see it, and they're great to listen to.

kobe4thewinbang
05-21-2013, 04:16 PM
I realize that most Clippers fans wanted Del Negro gone, but I never understood why. Could someone explain what makes him so bad?

Clippersfan86
05-21-2013, 04:21 PM
I realize that most Clippers fans wanted Del Negro gone, but I never understood why. Could someone explain what makes him so bad?

1. He had ZERO patience with young players yet WAY TOO MUCH patience with vets. He had no problem letting Billups, Butler etc ruin games and cause momentum spiral out of control but a single bad play from Bledsoe or DJ and they were on the bench the rest of the game.

2. His rotations were ATROCIOUS and he made zero adjustments with them. The only adaption he made with rotations was when injuries took it out of his hands. For example Willie Green got scorching hot the 2nd half of the season and instead of riding him the rest of the way he benches him to racking up DNP's and starts Billups who was TERRIBLE and worthless.

3. He showed massive favoritism to Blake and CP3, refusing to hold them accountable like the rest of the team. A truly great coach is HARDEST on the stars, not easier. Vinny genuinely seemed afraid to discipline these guys.

4. His coaching schemes were incredibly bad. Offense was CP3/Crawford isolation... or dump the ball to Griffin at the last second. Defensively his gameplan was "Play hard!" and he failed to teach any sustainable defensive fundamentals.

5. He had zero ability to recognize "the hot hand" or understand momentum. He would often wait until teams fully made huge runs before making ANY adjustments or calling a timeout. Also can't tell you how many times a guy has been on fire and Vinny suddenly stops giving them the ball. Blake regularly would have 15 points at halftime, only to get maybe 2-3 shots the 2nd half of games, killing all momentum he had.

Is this enough or want more?

TrueFan420
05-21-2013, 04:39 PM

I don't know about 0% chance that happens. Even the zen master can be petty. And he could stay in LA.

Chronz
05-21-2013, 04:43 PM
He just wore out his welcome because fans were expecting greatness from a flawed core, someone has to be the scapegoat. Hes made mistakes, but all coaches do, so I wouldn't classify him as a bad. Just not flexible. He tried to be but he was dealt a pretty weird hand here, Billups-Willie situation, Blake wanting to run - CP3 wanting to execute. I disagreed with his tactics but he at least tried new things with our defense. It was a good attempt, but its time for the team to take the next step forward.

NYKNYGNYY
05-21-2013, 04:45 PM
Nets

NYKNYGNYY
05-21-2013, 04:46 PM
N Sloan to clips

WickedBadMan
05-21-2013, 04:57 PM
Imagine it will be Byron Scott, not a bad coach and all Paul has to say is, you hire him - I'll resign.

kdspurman
05-21-2013, 05:34 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 2m
For the Clippers coaching job, Byron Scott has to be considered a candidate. He still keeps a close relationship with Chris Paul.

Cracka2HI!
05-21-2013, 05:38 PM
Bitter Sweet. I like VDN a lot. He wasn't the right coach for our team. He had nothing the last 2 playoffs. He does fine in the regular season but he isn't a playoff caliber coach yet. CP3 shouldn't get any heat for this. Vinny didn't get fired, just not retained. I'm sure the team knew this was a step they had to take with or without CP3.

zn23
05-21-2013, 06:30 PM
I'm not sure Byron Scott is the answer either... he had a hard time getting the best out of his bad team in Cleveland.

There was absolutely no improvement in Cleveland when he was there...

kdspurman
05-21-2013, 07:06 PM
I'm not sure Byron Scott is the answer either... he had a hard time getting the best out of his bad team in Cleveland.

There was absolutely no improvement in Cleveland when he was there...

They had a lot of injuries, I don't know if he really got a fair shake there. It's hard to gain any sort of consistency with a team that without a lot of depth has injuries to the 2 best players.

--23--
05-21-2013, 07:14 PM
I think Byron Scott would be a good pick up for the Clippers. Give him a roster with a good foundation and i could see him resemble the success he had with the Nets(02 & 03) & Hornets(08).

The next step for the Clipper with be roster changes. They have to make a decision with Billups and Bledsoe. They need to pick up a starting SG a shooter will be nice, and lastly they need a solid backup big.

zn23
05-21-2013, 07:15 PM
They had a lot of injuries, I don't know if he really got a fair shake there. It's hard to gain any sort of consistency with a team that without a lot of depth has injuries to the 2 best players.

Even when they were healthy, they couldn't get anything going.

Mike Brown probably could have done more with that team than Byron Scott. There were instances in the season where his coaching got exposed. Just look at the Miami Heat game where they blew that huge lead. Scott ended up taking off players that were hot and decide to run isolations. The heat came back slowly and won.

Clippersfan86
05-21-2013, 09:33 PM
Interesting quotes from Sterling who flat out admits the firing was done to appease his stars.

"The coach is a wonderful man, and I'm sad about the whole thing," Sterling said.

"Was this done," I asked, "just to hang on to Chris Paul?"

"I always want to be honest and not say anything that is not true," Sterling said. "So I'd rather not say anything.

"But you know, the coach did a really good job. I think he did. And I liked working with him. There are just factors that make life very complicated and very challenging."

"Here you have two inexperienced people running your basketball operation in [GM] Gary Sacks and [son-in-law] Eric Miller," I told Sterling. "And Andy Roeser doesn't have the greatest track record when it comes to basketball personnel decisions.

So I wonder, is this decision being made because the players are now calling the shots? Am I off base?

"No, you're not off base," Sterling said. "This is a players' league, and, unfortunately, if you want to win you have to make the players happy. Don't you think that's true?"

I answered: "No. Money makes players happy."

Sterling disagreed.

"It's not entirely true. Money is not the only thing that makes them happy," Sterling said. "They want to win, and they want the best opportunity to win. Do they know what the best opportunity to win is? I frankly don't know.

"But if you have special players, and special players think that they know the best opportunity to win, you have to support them."

That would suggest the team's two special players, Blake Griffin and Paul, privately were not supportive of Del Negro.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-simers-del-negro-20130522,0,7029582.column?page=2

Interesting to hear an owner flat out admit this stuff. I gotta give him props for realizing how to run a franchise and for the changes he's making.

Chronz
05-22-2013, 12:15 PM
I heard management hated the lack of defensive growth from those players, even some slippage from the vets. Injuries or not, it was a bad coaching job.

Jarvo
05-22-2013, 12:58 PM
Blake maybe is soon to follow, Paul said he's "soft"

zn23
05-22-2013, 05:59 PM
I heard management hated the lack of defensive growth from those players, even some slippage from the vets. Injuries or not, it was a bad coaching job.

I agree. Blaming failure on injuries can only go so far.

But there is no way you can only blame injuries on a 64-166 record in 3 years. That's just a really, really bad coaching job.

He's lucky to have lasted that long.

Cracka2HI!
05-22-2013, 10:09 PM
I would not be happy with Byron Scott. You can hire a coach the Cavs fired if you are trying to win the title.