PDA

View Full Version : Colangelo finished as Raptors GM

spreadeagle
05-20-2013, 11:32 PM
Bryan Colangelo’s tenure as the top basketball savant at Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment is at an end.

His relationship with the sports conglomerate is not.

In a move that should be officially announced as early as Tuesday morning, Colangelo will cede control of basketball operations as the president and general manager within the company and move to some unspecified corporate role, according to multiple NBA sources.

Colangelo’s future has been cloudy since the arrival of new MLSE chief executive officer Tim Leiweke; the Raptors held an option on a final contract year for Colangelo and Leiweke seemed lukewarm from the start about picking it up.

Highly respected executive Ed Stefanski remains in place and will likely guide the organization now. He should get consideration for the top job if Leiweke is at all interested in stability.

But having already engaged a search firm to help narrow a list of possible candidates, Leiweke will have a wide range of men to choose from. When it might happen is anyone’s guess and there is no indication of any parallel announcement on Tuesday.

The fifth general manager in Raptors history after Isiah Thomas, Glen Grunwald, Rob Babcock and current adviser Wayne Embry’s interim tenure, Colangelo led the team to two playoff appearances in his seven seasons on the job as well as the only division title in franchise history.

The Raptors haven’t been in the playoffs for five seasons — the longest stretch since the franchise was born in 1995 — although the team heads into the 2013-14 season with a consistent starting five and without any expected roster upheaval for the first time in years. http://www.thestar.com/sports/raptors/2013/05/20/bryan_colangelo_finished_as_raptors_gm_but_will_st ay_with_mlse_sources.html

heyman321
05-20-2013, 11:42 PM
So there is a god!

sunsfan88
05-21-2013, 04:00 AM
Stefanski is pretty bad himself. Toronto needs to hire from outside.

JC_
05-21-2013, 04:48 AM
Toronto needs to hire from outside.

I agree. I remember how exciting it was when the Raps hired Colangelo, it was pretty fail though. Too much politic'in trying to make a euro-team instead of just finding great basketball players.

bholly
05-21-2013, 05:52 AM
Stefanski is pretty bad himself. Toronto needs to hire from outside.

This. It's probably a step up, but not much of one.

LakersIn5
05-21-2013, 07:01 AM
i heard they trying to hire the nuggets gm

GrumpyOldMan
05-21-2013, 07:24 AM
I don't understand why they want to keep him in the organization. I can appreciate wanting to maintain stability in most cases, but not here. Let the new person come in and bring in his/her people. There is very little from his tenure that is worth maintaining. Time for new points of view and new voices and I am one of the guys who was happy with the Colangelo hire when it happened. It just didn't work out. Time to move on.

bholly
05-21-2013, 08:00 AM
Also lol at 'basketball savant'.

SportsFanatic10
05-21-2013, 09:08 AM
long overdue...

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
05-21-2013, 09:11 AM
Kevin pritchards dad told me at my work yesterday that the raptors made a private offer to Kevin for the GM position recently and he was still considering it but was most likely going to turn it down because they wanted answer soon but he didn't wanna make that decision while the Pacers were still in the playoffs ...