PDA

View Full Version : If Spurs win championship, where deos that rank Greg Pop

Greet
05-19-2013, 10:49 PM
Just wondering if this would put him in the conversation with Phil Jackson as possibly the best coach ever?

flea
05-19-2013, 10:50 PM
He's already a better coach than Phil Jackson.

Hawkeye15
05-19-2013, 10:52 PM
he is already in the conversation, and has a strong case as the best. Phil lucked out and had Jordan, Pippen, Shaq, Kobe, Gasol, etc. Pops has done it with Duncan, the Admiral (old), Manu, and Parker.

When ranking the rosters, Phil's is far stronger. But 11 is ridiculous. So I still pick Phil at the end of the day, he simply understood how to control stars, which in itself is so, so difficult.

NeverSayNevur
05-19-2013, 11:02 PM
he is already in the conversation, and has a strong case as the best. Phil lucked out and had Jordan, Pippen, Shaq, Kobe, Gasol, etc. Pops has done it with Duncan, the Admiral (old), Manu, and Parker.

When ranking the rosters, Phil's is far stronger. But 11 is ridiculous. So I still pick Phil at the end of the day, he simply understood how to control stars, which in itself is so, so difficult.

/thread

gwrighter
05-20-2013, 12:04 AM

Not really buying that argument because the only player to win a ring after playing under PJ was Shaq. Neither Jordan or Kobe won a ring without PJ.

Pop becomes 3rd best coach of all-time after Jackson and Auerbach. I'd probably give him the nod over Riley though, cases could be made for Riley over Pop.

AntiG
05-20-2013, 12:04 AM
Just wondering if this would put him in the conversation with Phil Jackson as possibly the best coach ever?

Phil isn't the greatest coach ever. Red is.

Lakers + Giants
05-20-2013, 12:07 AM
I woud say tied with phil. Pop is ****in amazing. I NEVER thought i'd feel excited about looking forward to watching a team play because of the coach but when spurs play i tune in to watch pop as well.

Hawkeye15
05-20-2013, 12:07 AM
Not really buying that argument because the only player to win a ring after playing under PJ was Shaq. Neither Jordan or Kobe won a ring without PJ.

Pop becomes 3rd best coach of all-time after Jackson and Auerbach. I'd probably give him the nod over Riley though, cases could be made for Riley over Pop.

I can live with that man.

Tony_Starks
05-20-2013, 12:17 AM
Same place I have him now, under Phil and neck and neck with Riley.

Avenged
05-20-2013, 12:19 AM
Most importantly is where does that rank Duncan and Parker. Ranking coaches is difficult especially considering he's already up there with the best of them.

Jarvo
05-20-2013, 12:31 AM
Red than Pop idc idc idc

THE MTL
05-20-2013, 12:39 AM
Like so many people have already said, Greg Pop is already better than Phil Jackson as a coach. I say if he wins another title it would make him the front runner of greatest coach of all time. Not saying that you cant argue for other people, but just saying that his name should probably be mentioned first and the most in such a conversation.

More-Than-Most
05-20-2013, 12:47 AM
they are both up there so does it even really matter? That being said I agree with the above person that I watch the spurs because he coaching excites me. My god if there was ever a non player to give an MVP to it would be him

girlsluvBeyonce
05-20-2013, 12:51 AM
best coach in the nba from 2001 to 2010 ( a little bit after that )

girlsluvBeyonce
05-20-2013, 12:52 AM
better question if the spurs win does timmy move into the top ten and does he push kobe out of the top ten ?

flea
05-20-2013, 12:54 AM
better question if the spurs win does timmy move into the top ten and does he push kobe out of the top ten ?

Duncan is easily a top 10 player. I'd argue top 5. Don't think many would argue against his being the best ever to play his position.

Hawkeye15
05-20-2013, 12:59 AM

what? Duncan is already ahead of Kobe. Top 6-7 player ever.

Tony_Starks
05-20-2013, 12:59 AM
better question if the spurs win does
timmy move into the top ten and does he push kobe out of the top ten ?

He's already top 10 on most people's list, as is Kobe.

Raps18-19 Champ
05-20-2013, 01:00 AM
I like how Pop operates more than Phil. But I suppose because of accomplishments, you have to put him at #3. But he's already in the conversation.

girlsluvBeyonce
05-20-2013, 01:01 AM
so what you guys are saying is both are in easily ok

Pakman
05-20-2013, 01:02 AM

what? Duncan is already ahead of Kobe. Top 6-7 player ever.Lulz. The kobe hate continues.

majmarcus
05-20-2013, 01:09 AM
Yall kill we with that "if he wins another ring" crap. Pop was already in the same class as a Phil Jackson. The reasons why I give Phil the nod isnt important. But even if Pop dont win, it doesnt change anything as far as his place in history or his ability to coach with Phil.

Stfu about Red!!!! He doesn't belong in this conversation. You guys look for excuses to discredit Phil for coaching the players he's coached. But Red didnt win squat before Bill Russell got there...

More-Than-Most
05-20-2013, 01:13 AM
I have Duncan ahead of Kobe as well

Bravo95
05-20-2013, 02:44 AM
If they win it all and Duncan plays strong throughout, TD moves to #5 all time IMO. Toughest player to rank would be Parker. Pop's Top 5 regardless, though I'd still have Phil ahead of him.

Supreme LA
05-20-2013, 03:05 AM
I really don't get how people praise Pop and at the same time try to discredit Phil. I'm not saying he isn't a great coach and has been for a long time but he also had the benefit of coaching the "greatest PF of all time". I mean seriously, which is it now? Is Pop fortunate to have Timmy or is Timmy now fortunate to have Pop?

I don't see how anyone can give all the credit to one coach and discredit the other for the same reasons. Can't they both he great coaches??? I mean hasn't Pop benefited from having the same championship core thoughout the last decade?? I don't understand the logic here.

kobe4thewinbang
05-20-2013, 04:15 AM
If SA wins this year, Popovich will have coached 5 championship-winning teams.

But Jackson is the winningest coach with 11 championships, over twice as many.

Popovich is an amazing coach and will definitely teach a team about hard work, practicality and humility. He's a good coach for any team looking to get the best out of players that are willing to listen so they can hone their abilities.

I believe Popovich is a more consistent coach than Jackson, who had a couple of underwhelming Lakers teams whereas the Spurs always seem to try and give a strong effort every year. Undoubtedly, Popovich is a great coach.