PDA

View Full Version : Is the Heat ruining the NBA's popularity? Let's face it, the league needs the LAKERS.

lakers4sho
05-19-2013, 07:21 PM
This year, to put it lightly, has been a total bust for the NBA in turns of ratings. After a slight peak last year due to the excitement after the hellish lockout, the first full season after 2011 has been disappointing to say the least. In a recent report

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2013/02/15/Media/NBA-ratings.aspx

It has been shown that the NBA has experienced a steady decline in viewership in the past 3 years, and you better believe that the big companies aren't happy.

TNT is averaging a 1.4 U.S. rating and 2.1 million viewers, down 22% and 26%, respectively, from last season, and down from a 1.6 rating and 2.4 million viewers in '10-11

ESPN's games are averaging a 1.2 rating and 1.8 million viewers, flat compared to last season, but down slightly from '10-11. ABC's NBA games are also down 9.5% in ratings to date compared to '11-12, while also seeing a slight drop compared to two seasons ago.

NBA TV's viewership is down 9% from last season, but still up from '10-11.

Meanwhile, this year's playoffs are nothing short of abysmal. ABC's viewership ratings are suffering a sharp decline from previous years, and that might not change soon.

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2013/may/abc-s-nba-playoff-ratings-are-in-the-tank.html

ABC is really hurting without the benefit of the Miami Heat on their airwaves. This past weekend, ratings for the Spurs-Warriors and Knicks-Pacers games suffered sharp declines. Sunday's San Antonio-Golden State matchup drew a 3.4 rating and 5.3 million viewers, down 29% in ratings and 30% in viewers from last year's Heat-Pacers game and 36% and 40% from 2011's Lakers-Mavericks matchup. The Knicks and Pacers didn't fare any better on Saturday evening, drawing similar marks of a 3.5 rating and 5.3 million viewers, down 29% and 35% from Heat-Celtcs in 2011 (with no comparable game last year).

So, we ask ourselves, what is causing such a sharp drop in viewership for the NBA? Since 2010, the two things that have been consistently topped the NBA headlines are:

Heat's dominance
Lakers decline

Obviously, the combination of the two is not doing the NBA any favor in terms of its popularity. It is clear that a Heat-driven NBA does not fare well in ratings, as shown by the numbers above.

The slow decline of the Lakers has to be at least worrying the NBA HQ's. For more than 3 decades now the Lakers have consistently been the NBA's cash cow, proving time and time again that a series featuring the Lakers brings money to the table, and that is money being shared by every team in the league.

Heck, in this year's playoffs, GAME 1 of the Spurs-Lakers series (which tragically ended in a sweep) was ABC's best opening weekend in a decade!!

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/4/22/4252694/2013-nba-playoffs-ratings-lakers-spurs-abc

Even without their star player Kobe Bryant, the Lakers continue to make headlines, and it is these types of stories that benefit the league, even more than a 27 game win by the Heat or (what it seems like) another championship year for them.

Bottomline is, the Lakers alone makes the league viable both entertainment-wise, and financially, simply because those two go hand-in-hand. The Heat have proven to be unable to take the torch and assume the role of the league's premiere team, and this will prove to be detrimental to the health of the NBA both in the short and the long run.

4milesperday
05-19-2013, 07:22 PM
ok

RLundi
05-19-2013, 07:25 PM
I'm out of cookies.

bucketss
05-19-2013, 07:35 PM
lmao damn did all the kobephiles boycot the nba when kobe got injured?

NYKalltheway
05-19-2013, 07:45 PM
Where were the Lakers in the 90s when the NBA peaked in terms of popularity?

The NBA is losing popularity because the fans don't like what they are seeing in terms of basketball quality , not because they don't like the franchises that are winning.

Hawkize31
05-19-2013, 07:46 PM
So what do you want? Should the NBA rig the games for LA? No salary cap for the Lakers? They start with 10 points?

They are perfectly allowed to succeed, just like anyone else.

ChitownBears22
People tuned in to watch the Lakers lose, not to support them. Stern got a perfect storm, he gets a heat/spurs finals and a Lakers first round exit ratings and exposure galore.

justinnum1
:dance:

championships
05-19-2013, 07:48 PM
calling someone a kobephile doesn't change the facts. FACTS ARE FACTS. Leave it to LeBronphiles to not reply to the subject at hand and steer the conversation into another unnecessary direction.

championships
05-19-2013, 07:50 PM
People tuned in to watch the Lakers lose, not to support them. Stern got a perfect storm, he gets a heat/spurs finals and a Lakers first round exit ratings and exposure galore.

Whether you tune in to watch them lose or win the fact is the Lakers are good for the League and the providers who bring you the games.

jmartin80
I am watching less and less myself. It has gotten to the point all I watch is the team I cheer for. Once they are eliminated, I won't watch a single game. Basketball has turned into a whine fest where players are rewarded for crying about calls if they don't get them. The flopping is out of control. You can't be physical anymore.

Plus, there is very little parity in the NBA.

ChitownBears22
I think the Playoffs are struggling because Philly is not in. Good ratings last year, philly in. Bad rating last year, Philly out. Logic

LAKERS 24/7
05-19-2013, 07:52 PM
Who cares about ratings. True basketball fans care about the game.

Shkelqim
05-19-2013, 07:53 PM
Basically LA is a bigger market than Miami?? No wayyyyy

JC_
05-19-2013, 07:54 PM
Times are changing. Tons of people are watching games streamed on the net. In Canada, we can't even watch the TNT games anymore without paying a lot extra on our cable bill. I'm sure a lot of Americans are probably using internet instead of cable tv. All of these things will shrink the viewership numbers of the big cable networks.

1-800-STFU
No, it more has to do with that everyone knows the Heat will win. There is really no suspense.

Shkelqim
The NBA loves Philly, Chi,LAL they all draw maniacs. Compared to Spurs lol..

championships
05-19-2013, 07:55 PM
So what do you want? Should the NBA rig the games for LA? No salary cap for the Lakers? They start with 10 points?

They are perfectly allowed to succeed, just like anyone else.No one said anything like that. Just provided you guys with some rating numbers. Why do posters go on the offensive everytime Lakers are mentioned in a topic??

Dade County
05-19-2013, 07:55 PM
So instead of blaming Stern for the way he setup the league... So only a hand full of teams have actually won championships in the past 29years.

You will dear try to blame the HEAT!

NBA Sports fans have some what changed in the past 5yrs... They want a league more like the NFL, where teams actually have a chance to win year after year; but they don't want the refs to actually control this outcome.

If you would like to blame any team for low ratings, blame the Lakers and the 90's bulls/Jordan... Casual Fans have been brain washed to only pay attention to the league only if the Lakers are on top, or if their is another GOAT!... You can't blame the HEAT for over 29years of brain washing.

NeverSayNevur
05-19-2013, 07:58 PM
I think the Playoffs are struggling because Philly is not in. Good ratings last year, philly in. Bad rating last year, Philly out. Logic

fallacy

AWC713
05-19-2013, 07:58 PM
people just know lebron is gonna win...

no ones NOT watching the playoffs because the lakers arent in it...

maybe just lakers fans...because they dont care about basketball, just themselves

NeverSayNevur
05-19-2013, 07:59 PM
Who cares about ratings. True basketball fans care about the game.

The NBA should if it wants to remain viable.

NeverSayNevur
05-19-2013, 08:00 PM
people just know lebron is gonna win...

no ones NOT watching the playoffs because the lakers arent in it...

maybe just lakers fans...because they dont care about basketball, just themselves

People watched when Magic/Bird dominated.
People watched when Jordan dominated.
People watched when Kobe/Shaq dominated.
People watched when Kobe/Gasol dominated.

So...something about LeBron is turning people off?

stawka
05-19-2013, 08:19 PM
Great, ratings are down. Next season the Lakers will somehow get CP3, KG, Pierce off the bench, and force Miami into buying out LeBron so the Lakers can take him for the Vets minimum or some ****

Jahari Kavi
05-19-2013, 08:25 PM
Times are changing. Tons of people are watching games streamed on the net. In Canada, we can't even watch the TNT games anymore without paying a lot extra on our cable bill. I'm sure a lot of Americans are probably using internet instead of cable tv. All of these things will shrink the viewership numbers of the big cable networks.

This. I was shocked when having a conversation with my father earlier this season and he told me he doesn't keep up with basketball anymore. Then the more I thought about it, it all made sense. Here in Houston unless you have Comcast cable you cannot even watch Rockets games. 20 years ago NBC fought hard to have the conference finals (most if not all games) broadcast, which probably gave exposure to casual fans as well. To put it plainly unless you are a true basketball fan with access to cable television then you probably aren't watching too much basketball these days.

girlsluvBeyonce
05-19-2013, 08:28 PM
FLAME ON !! the world doesn't need the lakers , America doesn't need em, The NBA doesn't Heck LA doesn't need them ( they have the Clips now they started there ) I don't like the heat or respect what they did Melo still trying all by himself but hey Wu tang wouldn't have been as famous if they weren't together

B'sCeltsPatsSox
05-19-2013, 08:30 PM
People are also starting to turn on NHL playoff games as well:shrug:

NeverSayNevur
05-19-2013, 08:33 PM
People are also starting to turn on NHL playoff games as well:shrug:

including me :laugh2:

sportsfan222
05-19-2013, 08:34 PM
the ratings have probably been down because there are so many injuries, making the playoff matchups a lot less appealing.

lets look at this year for example.

take a look at the eastern conference.

round 1-

hawks- pacers- i prob did not watch more than 10 minutes combined in that series, huge snoozer.

nets -bulls- yes it had the great game 4 comeback and triple ot, but overall, the series just lacked excitement. no derrick rose is a huge turnoff when watching the bulls, despite their great effort on a nightly basis. i , along with many fans prob can not get excited for the bulls without rose.

knicks-celtics- celtics were old and without their best player currently in rondo. it deff had its moments the series, but overall not such an exciting series.

heat -bucks- the bucks finished 6 games under 500, how they made the playoffs just speaks to how bad the east was this year.

then u go onto the eastern semi finals, heat bulls, the 1 team that can challenge the heat when healthy, they were without their 2 best players. chicago upsets them game 1, then miami does not look back. boring series in terms of basketball, only excitement was with nazr pushing james.

knicks pacers, 1 good game in that series, which happened to be last night game 6.

overall, these matchups are just nothing to get excited about.

then in the west, westbrook goes down, okc is done once that happens, lakers did not even compete vs the spurs, clippers are a huge flop again in playoffs with paul ( no surprise to me at least).

bottom line, the reason why the ratings have gone down, is because there have been just way too many injuries and unintriguing matchups in the postseason.

i truly believe the ratings will be better next season with rose back. the guy is that good, and has not participated in the past 2 postseasons, and this past reg season. the guy is a top 3 player in this league when healthy, and he will make the bulls exciting to watch again, and they will challenge the heat. the heat have had no competition for the past 2 seasons pretty much, so now with rose back in the fold, things can get more exciting in the east again.

girlsluvBeyonce
05-19-2013, 08:39 PM
if anything the heat are making the league better we want to see if any team can beat. We are rooting and watching different teams we wouldn't normally watch and root for. Just to see if they can beat the heat has nothing to do with the lakers. I think some laker extremist are depress that the "little brothers of the NBA are getting attention

Korman12
05-19-2013, 08:40 PM
I'd tend to think if the Eastern Conference were as strong as the Western Conference then this might not be as big of an issue

king4day
05-19-2013, 08:41 PM
If the Lakers didn't have Kobe, nobody would want to see them or even care about them. If Howard doesn't return to LA this season, I bet they will have fewer TV games in quite some time.
The Lakers are old news as of now. The Heat are the hot ticket. People watch to either see them win or root for them to lose.

sunsfan88
05-19-2013, 08:47 PM

The NBA is losing popularity because the fans don't like what they are seeing in terms of basketball quality , not because they don't like the franchises that are winning.
Exactly. Too many teams are starting to become slow, half court, defensive oriented teams and that style of play can boring to fans who enjoy seeing teams run up and down the court scoring baskets and dunks.

RLundi
05-19-2013, 08:56 PM
Sports in general are becoming a little boring and stale. I think it's be side of oversaturation. We're too in-tuned with everything and the element of mystery and intrigue don't exist anymore.

Or it could just be the Heat thing...

NeverSayNevur
05-19-2013, 08:57 PM
Exactly. Too many teams are starting to become slow, half court, defensive oriented teams and that style of play can boring to fans who enjoy seeing teams run up and down the court scoring baskets and dunks.

Heat are a fastbreak oriented team
Thunders are a running team
Clippers are a running team
Warriors are a running team
Spurs have changed to a slightly faster paced team
Nuggets are a running team
Lakers have 0 defense
Grizzlies run at times

Only teams that are truly half court are Boston, Indiana, and Chicago, and only one of them is still in the playoffs.

joshhorvath
05-19-2013, 09:04 PM
I dont know, the NBA is just too... boring now.. for the past 3 years, we all knew who would be representing the East in the finals, so it takes out the excitement in that.. These championship teams now just buy their teams, they dont draft... the only team that has not 'bought' a championship and built a well rounded team was and still is San Antonio. OKC did an excellent job drafting, and did not buy their team, so when they made the finals last year, i was excited, they deserved it, they earned it. The NBA playoffs just isnt exciting to watch, no good storyline matchups and the play (besides a couple games) is boring...

Look at the NHL playoffs going on right now, theres equality throughout the league, you simply dont know whos going to win any said series (unless you're a #1 seed).. two #2 seeds went out in the first round, you had Toronto vs Boston which was simply an amazing series which ended in historic fashion. Detriot keeps the streak alive and is 22 straight years in the playoffs and now has a 2nd round matchup vs Chicago. the LA Kings are in the 2nd round and looking to repeat for the cup, after being in arguably one of the most physical matchups in playoff history..

Big Zo
05-19-2013, 09:04 PM
Pfft! The Lakers are a bunch of purple wearing fruitcakes, anyway. :D

AWC713
05-19-2013, 09:05 PM
I'd tend to think if the Eastern Conference were as strong as the Western Conference then this might not be as big of an issue

this^^^

no one watched mia-mil, and mia-chi was a ****** series outside of the first and last game...hawks and knicks are a joke, celtics are old, brooklyn couldnt get past chicago's c squad....thats the reason for poor viewing...

sunsfan88
05-19-2013, 09:06 PM
Heat are a fastbreak oriented team
Thunders are a running team
Clippers are a running team
Warriors are a running team
Spurs have changed to a slightly faster paced team
Nuggets are a running team
Lakers have 0 defense
Grizzlies run at times

Only teams that are truly half court are Boston, Indiana, and Chicago, and only one of them is still in the playoffs.
Grizzlies and Spurs are both half court oriented, defensive teams. As is Indiana.

Miami is the only team that runs and creates highlight reel plays on the daily.

joshhorvath
05-19-2013, 09:06 PM
and i dont know if you've ever watched a NHL playoff game, or ever seen one in person, but the atmosphere si simply incredible, the changes of momentum and big time hits just make it exciting.

Jahari Kavi
05-19-2013, 09:08 PM
So instead of blaming Stern for the way he setup the league... So only a hand full of teams have actually won championships in the past 29years.

You will dear try to blame the HEAT!

NBA Sports fans have some what changed in the past 5yrs... They want a league more like the NFL, where teams actually have a chance to win year after year; but they don't want the refs to actually control this outcome.

If you would like to blame any team for low ratings, blame the Lakers and the 90's bulls/Jordan... Casual Fans have been brain washed to only pay attention to the league only if the Lakers are on top, or if their is another GOAT!... You can't blame the HEAT for over 29years of bran washing.

I always felt like the NBA does themselves a disservice by promoting Jordan as much as they do. It's laughable because you never hear Joe Montana or Elway (as great as they are) placed on this pedestal in football that makes their success seem untouchable. Football critics and analysts were and are more objective when it comes to giving opinions on who "the greatest" is. They also allow guys to be great without the millions of comparisons to the past. Sure, comparisons happen, but not to the painfully redundant level of the NBA. Just imagine if the NBA let Lebron be Lebron and carve his own identity and legacy? Or if when comparing him they chose to place him up against Oscar, Magic, or Bird instead of Jordan every single time? I never fell for the trick that MJ is without doubt the greatest, but the "highlight" said so and unfortunately Jordan succeeded in the era of the highlight.To show you how ridiculous Jordan stans are there were a couple of polls on ESPN in the past few years, one poll question asked who was the greatest NBA sports franchise ever (in regards to talent) and the other asked if it was a truer statement that MJ was the best basketball player compared to Gretzky being the greatest Hockey player ever or Rice being the greatest "receiver" ever. Of course the Jordan stans voted that the Bulls were a better franchise than the Celtics and that it was truer that MJ was the best ball player ever, totally disregarding Gretzky's dominance and Rice's accolades and records being damn near unbreakable....Jordan hype has ruined basketball......There have been better dunkers, passers, defenders, a better scorer, and guys with just as many if not more accomplishments than MJ but we never hear about them being called the greatest. MJ overkill has killed any chances of the NBA ever being as popular as it once was....

amos1er
05-19-2013, 09:15 PM
David Stern didn't expect Jim Buss to completely ruin a dynasty the way he did. The Lakers should have been more competitive the last two years and Jim Buss took something that should have been great and through his enormous ego he ran it into the ground.

c.c.
05-19-2013, 09:15 PM
Resting players excessively, unpopular players not getting hard fouls called, popular players getting touch fouls, flopping all game long, no competitiveness for individual awards, no competitiveness during the All-star game, star players not competing in the dunk contest, calling technical fouls for showing emotion, players getting drafted by small markets then leaving for a big after they become elite, coaches getting fired behind unnecessary things, etc.

naps
05-19-2013, 09:16 PM
League needs do what for the Lakers? Rig games like they have done before? Stay away from basketball until next season, keep fishing.

Teeboy1487
05-19-2013, 09:17 PM
The problem is not the lack of the Lakers in the playoffs. It's the lack of parity. What makes the NFL so great is that any team can win it all on any given Sunday. The NFL is highly competitive which makes it so entertaining to watch even when your team is not in contention. The NBA is the opposite. It relies on stars and only a select few teams can win it all.

This year is the worst. We all know the Heat will win. What's the point in watching when there is no one can challenge them? You also have to take into account all the injuries suffered by many competitive teams eliminating them from contention.

The nba needs to find a way to improve the parity of the league. That's the biggest problem right now. Stop with the star ****ing calls and stop allowing these superstars to act like cowards and teamup. I love the Lakers but stop allowing them to make these lopsided trades and make them build a team through the draft. The parity to me should come before promoting the stars.

c.c.
05-19-2013, 09:17 PM
and i dont know if you've ever watched a NHL playoff game, or ever seen one in person, but the atmosphere si simply incredible, the changes of momentum and big time hits just make it exciting.

They allowed to show emotion without getting fines and suspensions

Tony_Starks
05-19-2013, 09:23 PM
Besides injuries a lot of this has to do with the east being a total joke. The casual fan is saying "just wake me up when MIA gets to the finals." Chi Town and Brooklyn? ATL and Indy?

Outside of fans of the home team and those of us that just love the game I doubt anyone neutral watched that. And some of us probably even just checked the highlights...

nastynice
05-19-2013, 09:29 PM
someone made a good point about people using internet to watch. I used to always order cable right before nba/nhl playoffs, now I don't, I just internet.

also, as people said, heat are just way too good. Is there really any excitement? three superstars taking paycuts to play together, they better damn well be winning this thing year after year.

and, I don't know if hockey popularity is rising or not, but personally I'll watch a hockey game over basketball. Of course it depends on which teams are playing, but generally speaking, playoff hockey is pretty much untouchable in terms of intensity.

joshhorvath
05-19-2013, 09:37 PM
someone made a good point about people using internet to watch. I used to always order cable right before nba/nhl playoffs, now I don't, I just internet.

also, as people said, heat are just way too good. Is there really any excitement? three superstars taking paycuts to play together, they better damn well be winning this thing year after year.

and, I don't know if hockey popularity is rising or not, but personally I'll watch a hockey game over basketball. Of course it depends on which teams are playing, but generally speaking, playoff hockey is pretty much untouchable in terms of intensity.

i dont think anything really touches the intensisty that playoff hockey provides. Crowds are berserk, hits are hard ( I also think NBA is boring becasue they're not allowed to show violence/emotion, and if they do, they get suspended or fined.)

the only thing i think that compares to a late game hockey game's intensity and excitement is the final 2 minutes in the super bowl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j5E2c3UPBU the final moments of Boston vs Toronto game 7.. tell me any game in NBA compared to this.

bomber0104
05-19-2013, 09:49 PM
I know the Heat are a big reason why i don't watch anymore

I really don't see a point since the champion has pretty much been known as soon as people realized that the Lakers aren't this good

SwatTeam
05-19-2013, 09:52 PM
First off, TNT has been destroying it lately with ratings this past week topping viewership for 3 straight days for BOTH early and late games. ESPN also led all ratings for their games.

So, the OP is full of sheet. It took me two seconds to google NBA playoffs ratings and so many articles popped up contradicting everything you @$$clowns claimed. If you don't like basketball it's ok. But the fact people go to a basketball forum to state how they don't watch is huge oxymoron.

As for hockey, they have a great playoffs setup but they're on some bogus channels I'm not going to pay to get. Also fukk NBC in general.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/ratings/2013/05/16/wednesdays-cable-ratings-tnt-tops-third-consecutive-night-with-nba-playoffs-556411/cable_20130515/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/alexkonrad/2013/05/10/nhl-vs-nba-playoffs-marketing/

akesh99
05-19-2013, 09:59 PM
is this supposed to make Laker fans feel better? who gives a **** you guys are ****

still1ballin
05-19-2013, 09:59 PM
then don't watch

LOOTERX9
05-19-2013, 10:08 PM
Boring franchises like indiana, spurs and memphis bring nothing to the table in terms of tv ratings. So the series that any of those teams are playing in will have a decline in tv ratings since their markets are small and they have no stars people want to watch play. nothin more nothin less. The Heat will bring in a bump in the ratings but the team they are gonna play that's left in playoffs bring nothing to the table ratings wise

LOOTERX9
05-19-2013, 10:10 PM
I know the Heat are a big reason why i don't watch anymore

I really don't see a point since the champion has pretty much been known as soon as people realized that the Lakers aren't this good

yeah you rather see shaq and kobe dominate the league again, then you will be happy again. i'm glad lakers are trash now. and yall will stay that way with dantoni as head coach..hahaha!!!

Cal827
05-19-2013, 10:12 PM
:dance:

This.

LOOTERX9
05-19-2013, 10:13 PM
i dont think anything really touches the intensisty that playoff hockey provides. Crowds are berserk, hits are hard ( I also think NBA is boring becasue they're not allowed to show violence/emotion, and if they do, they get suspended or fined.)

the only thing i think that compares to a late game hockey game's intensity and excitement is the final 2 minutes in the super bowl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j5E2c3UPBU the final moments of Boston vs Toronto game 7.. tell me any game in NBA compared to this.

hockey is irrelevant here in the states. no one enjoys talking bout that sport. Most sports shows are forced into during playoff times but majority of americans don't care for hockey at all

Shkelqim
05-19-2013, 10:14 PM
Back in the day i doubt every body assumed Stern was rigging the championship, the draft. Now days conspiracy theories ruin everything lol people were ignorant to cheating(rigging)

COOLbeans
05-19-2013, 10:14 PM
Resting players excessively, unpopular players not getting hard fouls called, popular players getting touch fouls, flopping all game long, no competitiveness for individual awards, no competitiveness during the All-star game, star players not competing in the dunk contest, calling technical fouls for showing emotion, players getting drafted by small markets then leaving for a big after they become elite, coaches getting fired behind unnecessary things, etc.

These are actually some of the reasons.

joshhorvath
05-19-2013, 10:15 PM
yeah you rather see shaq and kobe dominate the league again, then you will be happy again. i'm glad lakers are trash now. and yall will stay that way with dantoni as head coach..hahaha!!!

at least when Kobe/Shaq dominated, there was more parity throughout the league...

LayBraun
05-19-2013, 10:15 PM
calling someone a kobephile doesn't change the facts. FACTS ARE FACTS. Leave it to LeBronphiles to not reply to the subject at hand and steer the conversation into another unnecessary direction.

Hahahahahahahaha I'm sorry but where are the FACTS that these ratings have ANYTHING to do with the lakers? All I see is speculation from kobephiles, nice try.

LOOTERX9
05-19-2013, 10:17 PM
please get yall hockey posts outta here. hockey is unwatchable and most in this country don't like that sport not even a little bit. Oh and by the way NBA ratings on it's worst day crushes nhl ratings. go back to yall little holes now hockey fans. bye

LOOTERX9
05-19-2013, 10:22 PM
at least when Kobe/Shaq dominated, there was more parity throughout the league...

umm no it wasn't. shaq was not guardable at all which made him ramming people over and dunking not fun to watch at all. And then you had a jordan clone like kobe on the wing which made it really not fair at all. STOP YOUR REVISIONIST HISTORY

rex.reyesiii
05-19-2013, 11:08 PM
Hmm... I still enjoy watching, lets say Superman although I know he'll win in the end.

There is some other reason IF ratings are really bad. :)

AND my ANH Ducks got ousted 1st round in the NHL.

koreancabbage
05-19-2013, 11:12 PM
its not the Heats fault that the Lakers suck.

they have a big 4: Kobe, Howard, Gasol, and Nash.

looks like 3 is the magic number. just saying.

Of course, a Lakers/ Kobe fan has to come in and try to blame the Heat.

Hawkeye15
05-19-2013, 11:15 PM
you have to be ****ing kidding me. Yes, we need the Lakers, the same team that has won 9 chips in the last 33 years, versus a new dynasty.

Ugh, sometimes I hate the NBA forum

bucketss
05-19-2013, 11:20 PM
umm no it wasn't. shaq was not guardable at all which made him ramming people over and dunking not fun to watch at all. And then you had a jordan clone like kobe on the wing which made it really not fair at all. STOP YOUR REVISIONIST HISTORY

and not to mention upsets were impossible with the refs rigging it in their favors.

bucketss
05-19-2013, 11:22 PM

lmao what a great post.

Dade County
05-19-2013, 11:26 PM

Insanity...

If Kobe actually stop shooting that series, they might have 4peated.

LMAO!

joshhorvath
05-19-2013, 11:26 PM

From 2000-2004, the Lakers won the championship 4/5 times.. They didn't win another championship until 2009

joshhorvath
05-19-2013, 11:27 PM
And didn't make the finals until 2008

Dade County
05-19-2013, 11:35 PM
From 2000-2004, the Lakers won the championship 4/5 times.. They didn't win another championship until 2009

And didn't make the finals until 2008

What are you trying to say...?

Because if you are trying to imply, since the Lakers had a 6year break before winning another title; that their is noting wrong, with the balance of the league.

Do me a favor, ask the teams fan bases that have never even been to a finals, how they feel about this league & the Lakers dominance.

joshhorvath
05-19-2013, 11:38 PM
its not the Heats fault that the Lakers suck.

they have a big 4: Kobe, Howard, Gasol, and Nash.

looks like 3 is the magic number. just saying.

Of course, a Lakers/ Kobe fan has to come in and try to blame the Heat.

There's kinda a big difference between a big 3 of players in their prime and a group of 4 where 1 player is leaving as a FA, two players will be retiring in less then 3 years and Gasol has been tied to trade rumors for the past couple years..

Lakers + Giants
05-19-2013, 11:39 PM
Love em or hate em people want to watch em.

joshhorvath
05-19-2013, 11:42 PM
What are you trying to say...?

Because if you are trying to imply, since the Lakers had a 6year break before winning another title; that their is noting wrong, with the balance of the league.

Do me a favor, ask the teams fan bases that have never even been to a finals, how they feel about this league & the Lakers dominance.

I'm a Raptors fan.. I've been putting up with bad basketball for the past 20 years. And yes it does show parity (too some extent).. At least from '04-'08 the Lakers weren't even in the finals, giving other teams opportunities.. With Miami, you already know they'll be in the finals.. It's not fun.

DerekCzajkowski
05-19-2013, 11:45 PM

Couldn't be more true

bucketss
05-19-2013, 11:50 PM
I'm a Raptors fan.. I've been putting up with bad basketball for the past 20 years. And yes it does show parity (too some extent).. At least from '04-'08 the Lakers weren't even in the finals, giving other teams opportunities.. With Miami, you already know they'll be in the finals.. It's not fun.

and miami has been relevant for what 3 years??(and 2006) and only have 1 chip to show for it. considering the contract issues and wade being 31, they would be lucky to be as successful as those lakers.

Lakers + Giants
05-19-2013, 11:50 PM

Lakers won from 1999/2000-2001/2002 in 03 spurs won. In 04 we were upset by the pistons. That's 3/5 not 4/5.

I just had to correct you :p

Tony_Starks
05-19-2013, 11:52 PM
How many of you on here that hate the Lakers or just hate Kobe still watch every prime time Laker game? How many of us Laker fans watch every game? How many times do you see them on road games with lots and lots of Laker fans in the audience?

Therefore logic would suggest that whether you like it or not the Lakers are a huge ratings draw.

CostanzaNumba0
05-19-2013, 11:59 PM
The quality of the game sucks and the average middle class white guy who is the vast majority of sports customers has a real hard time relating to or caring about black guys with tattoos from head to foot. The ghetto fabulous image absolutely killed the nba.

72 Wins
05-20-2013, 12:02 AM
With Chicago taking a large market share, I'll suspect many Chicago fans tuned out this year with Rose out?

c.c.
05-20-2013, 12:19 AM
The quality of the game sucks and the average middle class white guy who is the vast majority of sports customers has a real hard time relating to or caring about black guys with tattoos from head to foot. The ghetto fabulous image absolutely killed the nba.

The way these guys look do not effect the quality of the game

alexander_37
05-20-2013, 12:28 AM
As soon as the Lakers stop being good everyone goes nuts.

alexander_37
05-20-2013, 12:30 AM

Or just for racists. It's the style of game not the fact that you dislike black people.

girlsluvBeyonce
05-20-2013, 12:49 AM
lakers aren't any good

and everybody loses their mind

Knowledge
05-20-2013, 01:03 AM
Whoever made this thread clearly twisted the facts to help their argument and it worked because a large % of PSD doesn't read. In the same post that says the heat are hurting NBA viewership, there is a quote that says:

ABC is really hurting without the benefit of the Miami Heat on their airwaves. This past weekend, ratings for the Spurs-Warriors and Knicks-Pacers games suffered sharp declines. Sunday's San Antonio-Golden State matchup drew a 3.4 rating and 5.3 million viewers, down 29% in ratings and 30% in viewers from last year's Heat-Pacers game and 36% and 40% from 2011's Lakers-Mavericks matchup. The Knicks and Pacers didn't fare any better on Saturday evening, drawing similar marks of a 3.5 rating and 5.3 million viewers, down 29% and 35% from Heat-Celtcs in 2011 (with no comparable game last year).

No Drose for the season and an early OKC exist to Memphis due to Westbrook's injury hurt the dynamics of the playoffs. Right now, the NBA has a final 4 of Mem/SA/INDY/MIA and only one of those teams is a true draw. That is the reason why the ratings are lagging.

People always complain about the NBA being rigged and only wanting big market teams/stars to succeed, but now that they got pure basketball teams, they ***** about having no stars in the playoffs (other than the heat).

PS. The Lakers have gone home earlier than projected 3 years in a row now. If their absence was that crucial we would have seen the same problems the last 2 years.

goingfor28
05-20-2013, 01:05 AM

this

bucketss
05-20-2013, 01:07 AM
lol laker fans mad as hell tonight.

Raps18-19 Champ
05-20-2013, 01:08 AM
Hard cap will fix it all.

joshhorvath
05-20-2013, 01:12 AM
Lakers won from 1999/2000-2001/2002 in 03 spurs won. In 04 we were upset by the pistons. That's 3/5 not 4/5.

I just had to correct you :p

screw you wikipedia!!!! xD

joshhorvath
05-20-2013, 01:16 AM
Hard cap will fix it all.

THIS! Luxury taxes will not stop big teams from spending, throw in that hard cap, it'll actually make the GM's think of how to fit in a good team within a hard cap. NHL did it, and its created mass equality, the NBA can do it too... i honestly dont see any downside of a hard cap... owners save money, the league creates equality. everyone wins.. just not LA or Miami

bucketss
05-20-2013, 01:20 AM
THIS! Luxury taxes will not stop big teams from spending, throw in that hard cap, it'll actually make the GM's think of how to fit in a good team within a hard cap. NHL did it, and its created mass equality, the NBA can do it too... i honestly dont see any downside of a hard cap... owners save money, the league creates equality. everyone wins.. just not LA or Miami

i don't see the players union accepting that, but that would be great!

joshhorvath
05-20-2013, 01:26 AM
i don't see the players union accepting that, but that would be great!

just convince the players, if you create mass equality, where every year you actually dont know who will win the divison, or conference... that, it'll make fans from lesser teams start cheering and supporting their team... therefore fans buying more products, creating a higher revenue, therefore the hardcap can go up, therefore players get paid more! win win literally for everyone, even the fans!

flea
05-20-2013, 01:41 AM
Cute that a Lakers fan thinks the decline in ratings is about his crappy team. But no, the guy on the first page who said it was because the NBA is currently a poor product was 100% right. The ends of games are boring, the rules changes have made watching star players more boring, and it's obvious the players dog it during the regular season because it's too long and it's meaningless.

The solution? Let wings play defense again and somehow establish a continuity in how fouls are called, even just within a single game. It's perplexing (unless you think the NBA is rigged) as to why shoulder to shoulder contact is a no-call in the 1st quarter but in the 4th quarter double bonus it's 2 shots as long as the foulee is a superstar. Get rid of this endless fouling at the end of games by awarding a single shot and possession (like the 3 second calls). Establish a hard cap to get rid of this stupid "Big 3" crap that is basically giving us a watered down product where the players essentially act as GMs.

Maybe then the NBA will look more like a real sport instead of sports entertainment.

Lakers + Giants
05-20-2013, 01:56 AM
screw you wikipedia!!!! xD

No, i'm just a big fan of the NBA not just lakers. I'll admit i began watching the NBA in 2000 and i don't really know **** before that but since 2000 i remember quite a bit. I'm 21 so the 90s are a blur to me.

All I remember from then is playing super mario world and killer instinct on my SNES! :laugh2:

LOOTERX9
05-20-2013, 02:36 AM

Umm The NBA playoffs out rates the latino filled MLB baseball league past 4 years . Baseball is boring without steroid use. No one talks baseball anymore , not untill nba season is done with at least. Middle aged white guys have stopped caring bout the dominican dominated MLB recently. Baseball is dying out these days. Plus the teams struggle to hit now without roids in the game.

LOOTERX9
05-20-2013, 02:43 AM
And why are yall idiots giving the OP any attention. That article clearly states that having no miami heat game showing on ABC has hurt the ratings. But the idiot op says that the heat being a great team hurts the ratings? That article says the exact opposite of what the op is saying. we got the boring spurs, indiana and memphis left. those are very lowly rated teams in terms of tv viewership and interest. The heat is the only draw left. Any good rating drawn will be as a result of the heat playing and no one else.

Lock the idiotic thread mods

RiceOnTheRun
05-20-2013, 05:02 AM
Wait so.. what you're telling me. Is the Heat are TOO good.

I'll be honest, I never really tune in to Heat games cuz I know the Heat are winning in 5/6 most of the time. I watched the second Bulls/Heat game just because I was curious to see how the Heat would respond and that's about it. I'll probably be watching one or two games if the ECF gets interesting, but I'm honestly more interested in watching the Pacers get their ***** whooped.

Also, the competition in the Eastern conference is much lower than the west. Hell, outside the Brooklyn/Chicago and Knicks/Celtics series, there honestly wasn't much to see. Heat dominate the Bucks, Pacers and Hawks go back and forth between blowouts. Yeah.

In the west, I'd say every series had something interesting going on. Watch the 'superteam' Lakers get pummeled by San Antonio, Harden take on his old team, the rise of Stephen Curry etc.

The NBA doesn't need the Lakers, it's becoming more and more about teams and superstars competing. Nobody wants to watch the Pacers/Hawks series because well, there's not much to see to a casual fan.

RiceOnTheRun
05-20-2013, 05:12 AM
Cute that a Lakers fan thinks the decline in ratings is about his crappy team. But no, the guy on the first page who said it was because the NBA is currently a poor product was 100% right. The ends of games are boring, the rules changes have made watching star players more boring, and it's obvious the players dog it during the regular season because it's too long and it's meaningless.

The solution? Let wings play defense again and somehow establish a continuity in how fouls are called, even just within a single game. It's perplexing (unless you think the NBA is rigged) as to why shoulder to shoulder contact is a no-call in the 1st quarter but in the 4th quarter double bonus it's 2 shots as long as the foulee is a superstar. Get rid of this endless fouling at the end of games by awarding a single shot and possession (like the 3 second calls). Establish a hard cap to get rid of this stupid "Big 3" crap that is basically giving us a watered down product where the players essentially act as GMs.

Maybe then the NBA will look more like a real sport instead of sports entertainment.

I don't see what's wrong with players deciding on where they want to go based on other players there. It's not like they live to serve the team that drafted them. They're in it for themselves and rightfully so. If OKC didn't build around Durant correctly, would you really blame him if he decided to leave? We know that's not the case of course, so that's not a worry. But a team like Minnesota, with KG, did they truly deserve his loyalty? He spent the majority of his prime there wasting it.

Likewise, if you're stuck at a job with a failing company you don't really like, and you're the leading businessman there and you know other great businessmen from other failing companies, would it be wrong for you to decide with them, that you'd join a different company together at the end of your contract in order to succeed? Of course.

JesusNYY_Savior
05-20-2013, 08:03 AM
For me it's the power hungry refs who take over the games. For example being a Knick fan every other star gets "star calls" except for Melo and he is fouled everytime he enters the paint. But Wade is looked at wrong and its a flagrant 2.

dnl123
05-20-2013, 08:27 AM
I love how the article contradicts itself. It says ABC has struggled without the Heat games being on, but the Heat are the reason for the low ratings. Or maybe it's because of the 4 teams left we have mostly smaller markets; Indiana, San Antonio, and Memphis. Also this brand of basketball doesn't satisfy the casual fan, the playoffs have been much more about defense and physicality this season than even last year was.

YoungOne
05-20-2013, 09:00 AM
I think its about the many important injured players that are missing

mike_noodles
05-20-2013, 09:02 AM
It's funny, to me it's super teams that are ruining the popularity of the league, Lakers included. Well that and whiny, *****y, unpersonable "superstars". Ain't nobody got time for that ****.

ATX
05-20-2013, 09:04 AM
I love the fact that the four teams left are Miami, Indiana, San Antonio, and Memphis. I could care less about ratings. These are clearly the four best teams, and that's what I want to see.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
05-20-2013, 10:32 AM
NBA needs to be on regular local channels. None of this cable tv stuff or NBA league pass. Then blackouts and what not. Probably why online streaming getting real popular. Heck put our local team on PBS the ratings would be good.

JiffyMix88
05-20-2013, 10:46 AM
So tell the Lakers to put a better product on the court

FOBolous
05-20-2013, 11:07 AM

the only fact i see are the decline of viewership...the explanation offered by the OP is his own PERSONAL opinion without any scientific data to back it up. in my own PERSONAL opinion, i believe the viewership is declining due to the widespread perception that the games are rigged and due to the abysmal quality of NBA's referees.

sep11ie
05-20-2013, 11:24 AM
23,000 posts and he still doesn't understand PSD.

BALLER R
05-20-2013, 11:31 AM
No one cares about the heat really. Heat fans be mad all you want but you know I'm right. All the hype is dying down. Not really a bad thing because they don't care because they know the Heat will be in the finals so they could care less about the series before that.

BALLER R
05-20-2013, 11:32 AM
Aren't all these teams left small market teams?

dee279
05-20-2013, 11:36 AM
Maybe more people have jobs 0.0

enitialdee
05-20-2013, 11:57 AM
Lakers fan are something else.. They're team haven't done jack **** lately, but they're still cocky as hell..

Azzacadabra
05-20-2013, 12:20 PM
No, just no.

GREATNESS ONE
05-20-2013, 12:24 PM
:nod:

JoeBlessU
05-20-2013, 12:50 PM
the only fact i see are the decline of viewership...the explanation offered by the OP is his own PERSONAL opinion without any scientific data to back it up. in my own PERSONAL opinion, i believe the viewership is declining due to the widespread perception that the games are rigged and due to the abysmal quality of NBA's referees.

This... is also my opinion.... could also be due to the fact that the NBA has almost no parity...Watching the playoffs this season is like watching a movie you already know the ending too... Exciting for heat fans, but really boring for anyone who doesnt like them...

DreamShaker
05-20-2013, 01:28 PM
I honestly think it is the injuries, Kobe included. Not only did the NBA schedule a ton of Bulls games without Rose, but a ton of Lakers games with key guys missing as well. The Playoffs have just been boring to casual fans. OKC lost Westbrook, no Kobe, no Dirk, no Rose, Pacers and Grizzlies are unknown, Heat have not really haf a marquee matchup, and the Spurs are the Spurs. I personally have watched a ton of games, but I am beyond casual in my fandom. I think you habe some good points, L4S, but it hoes deeper than just the Lakers.

DreamShaker
05-20-2013, 01:31 PM
This... is also my opinion.... could also be due to the fact that the NBA has almost no parity...Watching the playoffs this season is like watching a movie you already know the ending too... Exciting for heat fans, but really boring for anyone who doesnt like them...

Yep. Everyone expects the Heat to win, and that is not good for the NBA. Also, whatever the Finals ends up being, it is not exactly a wet dream for the NBA ratings wise.

ryang
05-20-2013, 01:42 PM
Injuries. Scheduling. Those are the reasons. Take the heat out of it this year and the ratings would be ten times worse. People watch the Heat just to root against them.

JordansBulls
05-20-2013, 02:00 PM
Not the Lakers, but also the Bulls as well.

NYtilIdie
05-20-2013, 02:06 PM
Nah, I'm perfectly fine with watching that cluster***k in LA known as the Lakers crumble. It makes for a more entertaining off-season.

MonroeFAN
05-20-2013, 02:06 PM
super teams are ruining the league, yes. Not sure if that's neccesarily Miami's fault, but they were the first to do it right, so they will ultimately get blamed. I fail to see what this has to do with the Lakers. They're just sad.

Westbrook36
05-20-2013, 02:25 PM
This is why the league shouldn't revolve around two to three teams..Not that ratings even matter to me.

TrueFan420
05-20-2013, 02:28 PM
I'm gonna post this and most of the immature people will most likely respond with childish rants but it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of this had to do with the growth of other sports such as soccer. Is the second the most popular sport in America for age groups 12-24 and is trending upward.

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/relegationzone/id/262?cc=5901

This article talks about it.

joshhorvath
05-20-2013, 02:33 PM
super teams are ruining the league, yes. Not sure if that's neccesarily Miami's fault, but they were the first to do it right, so they will ultimately get blamed. I fail to see what this has to do with the Lakers. They're just sad.

actually Boston was the first team in the 2000's to do it. Not Miami.

ztilzer31
05-20-2013, 02:45 PM
God **** the Lakers. Who cares what the ratings are. Who care how man fair weather Lakers fans do or don't watch the games. I don't.

Hellcrooner
05-20-2013, 02:47 PM
I'm gonna post this and most of the immature people will most likely respond with childish rants but it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of this had to do with the growth of other sports such as soccer. Is the second the most popular sport in America for age groups 12-24 and is trending upward.

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/relegationzone/id/262?cc=5901

This article talks about it.

doubt soccer has anything to do with it.

I mean, the real leagues ( Enlgish, Spanish, Germna, Italy) and the european competitions are broatcasted early in the morning, so its no competition for the tv shares with nba.
And the mls doenst command the ratings to really compete with nba because is a third rate competition as of today.

Soccer wont be the top sport until

1 Mls stops with the " american way" of profesional leagues and enters a FREE mARKET for their players, in order to become the top leagye in the world.

Its got no prestige, thus the best players only can be seduced to play in it by Money, and yuo cant outbid europe with a salary cap and max salarys and etc.

2 Usa has a generation of players able to win a world cup, that deppenidng of the growth of the fan base should take another 10-20 years.

el hidalgo
05-20-2013, 03:38 PM
sorry OP, i just can't take people that think they are important enough to make a forum retirement thread seriously. especially those who return within weeks, like they all do.

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?809896-I-am-officially-retiring-from-PSD

please re-retire.

RaiderLakersA's
05-20-2013, 04:28 PM
I'm a longtime Lakers fan (for over 30+ years), but I'm also a fan of basketball. Contrary to some here, I usually tune in even when the Lakers aren't in the hunt. I like seeing other teams finally get the formula just right and start turning lead into gold. Or in this case, O'Brien trophies. I'm sufficiently secure in my franchise's achievements that there is nothing that any other franchise could do that would completely ruin the sport for me.

That said, this year the NBA playoffs have been, well, boring. I normally try to watch the key games, but even that has proven difficult.

Will I watch the Finals? Who knows. With so many other entertainment options out there -- I recently joined a mountain climbing group -- whether I tune in or not really hinges on whether or not I want to sit still on the couch.

MonroeFAN
05-20-2013, 05:01 PM

I mean, PP, KG30+ and Rondo /= LBJ, Wade and Bosh. They had a great foundation in place, and were well coached. That team could have easily been run of the mill (think brooklyn).

Cracka2HI!
05-20-2013, 05:14 PM
Not sure the point of this thread. You know sports is a competetion. The League "needing the Lakers to be the best" does not matter as far as competetion goes. The Globetrotters win every game but they aren't as popular as the Bobcats(I think). The problem is the league and mainly media don't cover any other team the same way. The Clippers and Memphis have the best rivalry in the league but didn't play 1 primetime game. In fact they were behind some crappy Laker game once.

Muttman73
05-20-2013, 05:19 PM
Thank the Heat for this, they ruined the league.

amos1er
05-20-2013, 05:49 PM

Bostons big three were all over 30 or well into their 30's when the did it. They at least tried to to it on their own before coming together.

amos1er
05-20-2013, 05:52 PM
Thank the Heat for this, they ruined the league.

Yup...I think the pressure for Lebron to finally win a ring was just too much for him and he went waaaay overkill. Now it's the fans of the purity of the sport who will suffer most.

amos1er
05-20-2013, 05:58 PM
I'm a longtime Lakers fan (for over 30+ years), but I'm also a fan of basketball. Contrary to some here, I usually tune in even when the Lakers aren't in the hunt. I like seeing other teams finally get the formula just right and start turning lead into gold. Or in this case, O'Brien trophies. I'm sufficiently secure in my franchise's achievements that there is nothing that any other franchise could do that would completely ruin the sport for me.

That said, this year the NBA playoffs have been, well, boring. I normally try to watch the key games, but even that has proven difficult.

Will I watch the Finals? Who knows. With so many other entertainment options out there -- I recently joined a mountain climbing group -- whether I tune in or not really hinges on whether or not I want to sit still on the couch.

I agree. It's not fun at all to watch the Heat run through the competition like nothing. Their top 3 players are in the top 15 and they play teams in the weak eastern conference that have absolutely no chance of beating them. Never in any sport did 3 max franchise players all take less money to join forces. Was their ever this much of a disparity in talent like there is now with the Heat and every other team in the league? I can't remember a single case throughout NBA history. Maybe someone can come up with an example because I am stumped.

IndyRealist
05-20-2013, 06:02 PM

This is on page 1. Why are there 8 more pages?

The entertainment market in general is losing viewership to the internet. Cable television, movie theaters, cd sales, etc. have all been seriously cut into by internet viewership.

girlsluvBeyonce
05-20-2013, 06:03 PM
I agree. It's not fun at all to watch the Heat run through the competition like nothing. Their top 3 players are in the top 15 and they play teams in the weak eastern conference that have absolutely no chance of beating them. Never in any sport did 3 max franchise players all take less money to join forces. Was their ever this much of a disparity in talent like there is now with the Heat and every other team in the league? I can't remember a single case throughout NBA history. Maybe someone can come up with an example because I am stumped.

so this is why your not respected on the forums

kjoke
05-20-2013, 06:05 PM
How are the Heat ruining the NBA when the entire east besides them is unbearable to watch. Not much excitement because not much superstar play going around. Think about the times with the Big three in boston, lebron in clevland, prime wade in miami, other cities with other great players. Players aren't joining up, players are getting older, and not much great youth is coming in. When more players get better and reach a level of stardom new energy is reached. Like, for example, Harden steps up his level and all of a sudden excitement in Houston. Good players need to be in the league for the league to be relevant, and all those past players have lost a step

amos1er
05-20-2013, 06:09 PM
so this is why your not respected on the forums

Who are you again?

And I why would I even care about your opinion in the first place?

It's sure easy to make baseless ad hominem attacks against someone. It's another to actually make a good counter argument. Yet I'm the one who doesn't deserve respect. #irony.

amos1er
05-20-2013, 06:11 PM
How are the Heat ruining the NBA when the entire east besides them is unbearable to watch. Not much excitement because not much superstar play going around. Think about the times with the Big three in boston, lebron in clevland, prime wade in miami, other cities with other great players. Players aren't joining up, players are getting older, and not much great youth is coming in. When more players get better and reach a level of stardom new energy is reached. Like, for example, Harden steps up his level and all of a sudden excitement in Houston. Good players need to be in the league for the league to be relevant, and all those past players have lost a step

The Heat are the big bullies and the eastern conference is their punching bags. Guess you make a good point about it not being their fault that the east sucks so much. Not sure why that is, but it has been that way for quite sometime now.

amos1er
05-20-2013, 06:13 PM
sorry OP, i just can't take people that think they are important enough to make a forum retirement thread seriously. especially those who return within weeks, like they all do.

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?809896-I-am-officially-retiring-from-PSD

please re-retire.

Who are you, the retirement police.

girlsluvBeyonce
05-20-2013, 06:13 PM
Who are you again?

And I why would I even care about your opinion in the first place?

It's sure easy to make baseless ad hominem attacks against someone. It's another to actually make a good counter argument. Yet I'm the one who doesn't deserve respect. #irony.

:bla:

amos1er
05-20-2013, 06:16 PM
:bla:

Still waiting for you to make a valid point...

Or was that your "clever" attempt to maintain your dignity while dodging my original retort.

bucketss
05-20-2013, 06:24 PM
I've noticed laker fans are very jealous of the heat, good god i hope that franchise of theirs goes through many years of losing.

Tymathee
05-20-2013, 07:42 PM
and the league absolutely hated how dominat the lakers were and they looked to chop their nuts off at every turn, first with money (luxury tax) then again (rising luxury tax) and then again (new rules to allow off ball double teams, clearly pointed at Shaq) and then again (vetoing cp3 trade that wouldve saved the lakers a ton of money and got talent in return)

You can say im being a paranoid Lakers fan but when again and again, things keep happening to the team, especially a veto that shouldve made one team a contender, possibly ruined three franchises in the hornets, clips (if cp3 leaves) and Lakers (if dwight leaves and kobe doesnt come back healthy) its hard not to put on my tin foil hat.

the league looks at the NFL and sees how parity helped there and tried to do it here but the fans dont want parity, the nfl is different, they want entertainment and the spurs, heat, grizzles, and pacers dont provide that but a cp3, kobe, dwight core in LA for the next 5 years would've.

LAKERMANIA
05-20-2013, 07:45 PM

Jordan.

el hidalgo
05-20-2013, 07:46 PM
Still waiting for you to make a valid point...

Or was that your "clever" attempt to maintain your dignity while dodging my original retort.

kinda like how you dodged tredig's retort earlier today in the MVP thread?

ryang
05-20-2013, 10:31 PM
Bostons big three were all over 30 or well into their 30's when the did it. They at least tried to to it on their own before coming together.

And kg said it was a huge mistake and that he regretted not leaving sooner.