PDA

View Full Version : Highest 3pt% in playoffs?

Goose17
05-18-2013, 04:35 PM
Googled this but couldn't find it anywhere. Anybody know what the best 3pt% is in post season history? (Talking average, not single series or per game)

DenButsu
05-18-2013, 11:53 PM
3-Pt Field Goal Pct >= .520 and 3-Pt Field Goals Per Game >= 1.3 and Games >= 8

^Those are somewhat arbitrary parameters. Minimum of 8 games (so played in at least two playoff series) and minimum of 1.3 3-pointers per game (so they're hitting a significant number of 3s). That turns up this:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&type=totals&per_minute_base=36&lg_id=NBA&is_playoffs=Y&year_min=&year_max=&franch_id=&season_start=1&season_end=-1&age_min=0&age_max=99&height_min=0&height_max=99&birth_country_is=Y&birth_country=&is_active=&is_hof=&is_as=&as_comp=gt&as_val=&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_gf=Y&pos_is_f=Y&pos_is_fg=Y&pos_is_fc=Y&pos_is_c=Y&pos_is_cf=Y&qual=&c1stat=fg3_pct&c1comp=gt&c1val=.520&c2stat=fg3_per_g&c2comp=gt&c2val=1.3&c3stat=g&c3comp=gt&c3val=8&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&c5stat=&c5comp=gt&c6mult=1.0&c6stat=&order_by=fg3_pct

Raising those parameters to a higher standard:

requiring 3-Pt Field Goal Pct >= .500 and 3-Pt Field Goals Per Game >= 2 and Games >= 10

Turns up this:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&type=totals&per_minute_base=36&lg_id=NBA&is_playoffs=Y&year_min=&year_max=&franch_id=&season_start=1&season_end=-1&age_min=0&age_max=99&height_min=0&height_max=99&birth_country_is=Y&birth_country=&is_active=&is_hof=&is_as=&as_comp=gt&as_val=&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_gf=Y&pos_is_f=Y&pos_is_fg=Y&pos_is_fc=Y&pos_is_c=Y&pos_is_cf=Y&qual=&c1stat=fg3_pct&c1comp=gt&c1val=.500&c2stat=fg3_per_g&c2comp=gt&c2val=2&c3stat=g&c3comp=gt&c3val=10&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&c5stat=&c5comp=gt&c6mult=1.0&c6stat=&order_by=fg3_pct

Click "Show/Hide Search Form" to tweak the parameters however you like.

DenButsu
05-18-2013, 11:59 PM
Another way to look at it, all the guys who made 40 or more 3-pointers in one playoff run:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&type=totals&per_minute_base=36&lg_id=NBA&is_playoffs=Y&year_min=&year_max=&franch_id=&season_start=1&season_end=-1&age_min=0&age_max=99&height_min=0&height_max=99&birth_country_is=Y&birth_country=&is_active=&is_hof=&is_as=&as_comp=gt&as_val=&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_gf=Y&pos_is_f=Y&pos_is_fg=Y&pos_is_fc=Y&pos_is_c=Y&pos_is_cf=Y&qual=&c1stat=&c1comp=gt&c1val=&c2stat=fg3&c2comp=gt&c2val=40&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&c5stat=&c5comp=gt&c6mult=1.0&c6stat=&order_by=fg3_pct

Goose17
05-19-2013, 05:32 AM
Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

On that last one, Ariza and the Jet caught me by surprise.

DenButsu
05-21-2013, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

On that last one, Ariza and the Jet caught me by surprise.

To me, the most impressive overall is Ray. "Best" is a vague term, but no matter how you break down the specifics (when it comes to 3-point shooting) he does well across the board. After watching him tear up the Nuggets, though, I think Curry should be the real deal and have a chance to match/surpass Allen by and by. But definitely Fish gets props for having what should probably be considered the best single postseason 3-point shooting performance which actually contributed (bigtime) to his team winning the championship.

Pablonovi
08-20-2013, 05:15 PM
To me, the most impressive overall is Ray. "Best" is a vague term, but no matter how you break down the specifics (when it comes to 3-point shooting) he does well across the board. After watching him tear up the Nuggets, though, I think Curry should be the real deal and have a chance to match/surpass Allen by and by. But definitely Fish gets props for having what should probably be considered the best single postseason 3-point shooting performance which actually contributed (bigtime) to his team winning the championship.

Hey DenButsu,
Ya know, speaking of Fish (though going a little off-topic here) wouldn't that be an interesting thread, something like: "Biggest Finals (or entire Playoffs) Performances Ever By Non-Stars"? Has such a thread been done before?