PDA

View Full Version : MJ vs Kobe according to Phil Jackson

FOBolous
05-17-2013, 01:07 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/phil-jackson-compares-michael-jordan-kobe-bryant-book-162512969.html

Hey, did you know that people like to compare Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant? Fans do it, video editors do it, Kelly Dwyer does it (and Ernie Johnson told me Wednesday night that KD's a "good dude"), Larry Bird does it, and even Jordan himself does it. Seriously, it's basically the absolute favorite thing of everyone who likes basketball. I'm surprised you didn't know that.

One basketball lover, however, has largely been reticent to compare the two legendary shooting guards — Phil Jackson, the man who coached Jordan and Bryant through their respective championship-winning, Hall-of-Fame-securing primes with the Chicago Bulls and Los Angeles Lakers. In his forthcoming book "Eleven Rings: The Soul of Success," however, the Zen Master opens up and shares his thoughts on the tale of the tape between two of the greatest players the game has ever seen.

From Mike Bresnahan of the Los Angeles Times, who got an advance look at "Eleven Rings" and is sharing the wealth:

"Michael was more charismatic and gregarious than Kobe. He loved hanging out with his teammates and security guards, playing cards, smoking cigars, and joking around," Jackson said [...]

"Kobe is different. He was reserved as a teenager, in part because he was younger than the other players and hadn't developed strong social skills in college. When Kobe first joined the Lakers, he avoided fraternizing with his teammates. But his inclination to keep to himself shifted as he grew older. Increasingly, Kobe put more energy into getting to know the other players, especially when the team was on the road." [...]

"Jordan was also more naturally inclined to let the game come to him and not overplay his hand, whereas Kobe tends to force the action, especially when the game isn't going his way. When his shot is off, Kobe will pound away relentlessly until his luck turns. Michael, on the other hand, would shift his attention to defense or passing or setting screens to help the team win the game."

Jackson also gives M.J. the nod as the "tougher, more intimidating defender," whereas Bryant would "rely more heavily on his flexibility and craftiness," along with (occasionally ill-timed) gambles, on the defensive end.

The coach's evaluations all seem pretty evident and reasonable, emphasizing the slight but importance differences in applied physicality between the two 6-foot-6, 200-pound guards. It's interesting to note, though, that Jackson's analysis of the differences in teammate interaction don't totally dovetail with the experience expressed by trainer Tim Grover, who famously worked with both stars, in his recent book, "Relentless."

Here's how Grover describes it:

A lot of gifted people will lower their skills to close the gap between themselves and those around them, so others can feel more confident, involved, and relatively competitive. I've seen Kobe do that briefly when he has to, as a way to bring his teammates into the action and keep them engaged. It can work well depending on the other players, and as soon as Kobe sees his teammates stepping up, he'll revert to his natural game. It's a conscious decision to make the other guys feel as if they were one team, not one superstar surrounded by a second-rate supporting cast.

Michael went the other way and came right out and said it: that's my supporting cast.
His message was clear and unrelenting: Hey, I'm not bringing my game down so you can look better; you bring your game up so you can look better. He refused to put his own game in the backseat just to give other guys more action, unless you proved to him you could handle the responsibility.

Grover does note, however, that Jordan "never showed frustration on the court" and "always stayed positive, always had fun out there," only flipping his lid on underperforming teammates after the final buzzer. He also lends credence to the distance Bryant at times places between himself and his teammates, noting that Kobe "shoots along before the game, never on the same basket as the other guys," and that his teammates often stay away and "would never encroach on his space" out of "respect."

All told, we're talking about such small degrees of differentiation — on the court, off the court, in the locker room — that while the Zen Master's breakdown does seem to favor Jordan overall, it in no way denigrates Bryant's status as one of the greatest players of all time and arguably the second-greatest shooting guard in NBA history.

It does, however, appear to entrench Jordan as the greatest of all time in the mind of the man who'd know best. That measurement will likely sound about right to most of us, and probably will only fuel Bryant's fire as he rehabilitates from Achilles surgery in pursuit of a return to the court, a Jordan-equalling sixth ring and more buckets to chase down M.J. on the all-time scoring list.

That urge to measure up and prove himself was apparent in Bryant even in his early years, according to Jackson, who also relates a great story about a face-to-face meeting between Kobe and M.J. during Jackson's first year in L.A.:

"Kobe was hell-bent on surpassing Jordan as the greatest player in the game. His obsession with Michael was striking," Jackson said. "When we played in Chicago that season, I orchestrated a meeting between the two stars, thinking that Michael might help shift Kobe's attitude toward selfless teamwork. After they shook hands, the first words out of Kobe's mouth were, 'You know I can kick your *** one on one.'"

Yep. Sounds like the shy, reserved, shrinking violet Kobe we've all come to know and love over the years.

ILLUSIONIST^248
05-17-2013, 01:13 AM
Well Jordan is the best player to ever lace them up. Everything said seems correct. Kobe was never supposed to be the palyer he became, He was never the fastest,strongest, most athletic, but his work ethic and mind set made him the player he is today. Kobe's body was not meant for the things he's done in his life. He maxed it out.

mjt20mik
05-17-2013, 01:20 AM
Mj = goat

numba1CHANGsta
05-17-2013, 01:32 AM
The two can not be compared by overall career accomplishments, the two should be compared as an individual player playing the game of basketball. Jordan and Kobe in their prime had different skills that have made them who they are today. People always say well Jordan had a better FG% well Kobe took more 3 point FG attempts than Jordan, both could easily score 30 points a game but in their own different unique way. These two players are different who took different paths in their career and had to go through different obstacles. When Jordan was young he didnt have a good team, but in his prime he had a great supporting cast. When Kobe was young he has a good team but he was inexperienced since he came out of HS, but when he was in his actual prime, he didnt have the supporting cast that Jordan had, Kobe had the cast of players he needed during the beginning and end of his prime. It's hard to compare players from different era's I feel like Jerry West should be in discussion as well.

SACNYY
05-17-2013, 01:33 AM
"Kobe was hell-bent on surpassing Jordan as the greatest player in the game. His obsession with Michael was striking," Jackson said. "When we played in Chicago that season, I orchestrated a meeting between the two stars, thinking that Michael might help shift Kobe's attitude toward selfless teamwork. After they shook hands, the first words out of Kobe's mouth were, 'You know I can kick your *** one on one.'
:clap: That's why I love Kobe.

NeverSayNevur
05-17-2013, 01:34 AM
Wrong MJ

Raps18-19 Champ
05-17-2013, 01:34 AM
Well Jordan is the best player to ever lace them up. Everything said seems correct. Kobe was never supposed to be the palyer he became, He was never the fastest,strongest, most athletic, but his work ethic and mind set made him the player he is today. Kobe's body was not meant for the things he's done in his life. He maxed it out.

Everyone knew Kobe had the potential to be something special coming in from school.

smiddy012
05-17-2013, 01:44 AM
This makes me wonder if Kobe would've had a more efficient and storied career had he gone to college like MJ. Because the Zen Master implied that MJ was more socially integrated and in control of the team in comparison. Perhaps if Kobe had had those three years in college like MJ to grow and mature as a leader he would've had better social skills in the locker-room, and a stronger NBA team as a result.

LayBraun
05-17-2013, 01:47 AM
The only reason the two are compared is because of how similar they are and since they both played under Phil. Jordan is miles better than Kobe ever was and Kobe doesn't even sniff number 2 overall.

whitemamba33
05-17-2013, 02:06 AM
The only reason the two are compared is because of how similar they are and since they both played under Phil. Jordan is miles better than Kobe ever was and Kobe doesn't even sniff number 2 overall.

So first you say they are similar, and then you say they Jordan is miles better?

I knew there was a reason I stopped coming to these damn forums.

SACNYY
05-17-2013, 02:08 AM
The only reason the two are compared is because of how similar they are

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120930201322/fairytail/images/3/30/You_don't_say.png

mngopher35
05-17-2013, 02:10 AM

Who said he was #2 overall? He is the 2nd best SG of all time, behind the GOAT.

LayBraun
05-17-2013, 02:27 AM
So first you say they are similar, and then you say they Jordan is miles better?

I knew there was a reason I stopped coming to these damn forums.

What the hell are you talking about? They play the same position. Both 6'6 and around the same weight. Both coached by the same guy. Both had that killer instinct and have close to the same amount of rings. They are VERY similar. That has absolutely nothing to so with who is better though because Jordan BLOWS him out of the water. End of conversation.

ToastofTheTown
05-17-2013, 02:28 AM
Everyone knew Kobe had the potential to be something special coming in from school.

Which is why Charlotte traded him for a Siberian with a non-verified birth certificate.

ToastofTheTown
05-17-2013, 02:31 AM
What the hell are you talking about? They play the same position. Both 6'6 and around the same weight. Both coached by the same guy. Both had that killer instinct and have close to the same amount of rings. They are VERY similar. That has absolutely nothing to so with who is better though because Jordan BLOWS him out of the water. End of conversation.

I think Bryant would win 1 v 1, but Jordan involved his teammates more. Blown out of the water is complete overstatement.

LayBraun
05-17-2013, 02:39 AM
I think Bryant would win 1 v 1, but Jordan involved his teammates more. Blown out of the water is complete overstatement.

Might be a little bit of an overstatement but at the end of the day Jordan was a far superior basketball player in almost ALL aspects of the game and that's just the truth. Anyone who says otherwise is simply a Kobe lover.

LayBraun
05-17-2013, 02:39 AM
By the way I'll take Jordan in a 1v1 every day of the week.

LayBraun
05-17-2013, 02:42 AM
And fine, I'll take back "far superior" and just say "superior" because that still proves my point.

eso
05-17-2013, 03:11 AM
By the way I'll take Jordan in a 1v1 every day of the week.

I love Kobe and kinda agree with this but Kobe would snatch 1 or 2 here or there if and when he got hot :)... But god damn just imagine watching that both in there prime...

eso
05-17-2013, 03:12 AM
There will never be another MJ and there will never be another Kobe. I'm just glad I can say I witnessed them both.

Iron24th
05-17-2013, 03:25 AM
There will never be another MJ and there will never be another Kobe. I'm just glad I can say I witnessed them both.

this

Bruno
05-17-2013, 03:26 AM
great read. i can't wait for the book.

bagwell368
05-17-2013, 05:22 AM
Reading between the lines it looks like Phil was trying to push Kobe's strong points to balance off the fact that there is no battle between him and Jordan. Jordan was easily a better total package than Kobe. There is no shame in that, Kobe is somewhere in the #12-16 range all time (those that say he is top 10 are misguided I'm afraid). But #14 is not #1, is it?

amos1er
05-17-2013, 05:23 AM
It's not like this is anything we all don't know. Interesting to hear Phil's take on it though. Don't really think that many people would debate the fact that Jordan was the better defender. Obviously Kobe was more socially reserved. Though I would like to hear his opinion of who would win one on one. That would be interesting and defiantly worth buying the book. Hopefully there is more on this in the book and they didn't take all the best quotes out before anyone has a chance to read it. I would like to see how bad he rips Jim Buss too. lol

amos1er
05-17-2013, 05:28 AM
Wonder what Phil has to say about the cowardly way Lebron colluded to take less money so that he could team up with a top 5 and top 15 player (both also took less money) in order to chase a ring in the prime of his career?

amos1er
05-17-2013, 05:55 AM
Reading between the lines it looks like Phil was trying to push Kobe's strong points to balance off the fact that there is no battle between him and Jordan. Jordan was easily a better total package than Kobe. There is no shame in that, Kobe is somewhere in the #12-16 range all time (those that say he is top 10 are misguided I'm afraid). But #14 is not #1, is it?

Doubt that Phil Jackson or any other credible basketball mind agrees with that. lol Everyone is entitled to their own opinions though.

Guppyfighter
05-17-2013, 06:22 AM
Doubt that Phil Jackson or any other credible basketball mind agrees with that. lol Everyone is entitled to their own opinions though.

Phil's a bit biased though.

I will say this. Kobe is a top ten career of all time. But he is not a top ten prime of all time.

It's why some have him ranked lower on the all time list.

R. Johnson#3
05-17-2013, 06:39 AM
Michael is the greatest player to ever play the game. There will probably never be another player who can take that away from him. What set Michael ahead of everyone was his determination. There has never been a player that has wanted it so bad that had that much talent. Kobe comes close but not close enough. Michael Jordan is the definition of greatness.

majmarcus
05-17-2013, 07:09 AM
Lmbo @ Kobe "You know I can kick your *** one on one!"...classic Kobe.

But that #12-16 all-time ranking is extremely misleading & poorly misplaced to say the least! The gap between those 2 is much smaller than many say. Jordan may very well be the G.O.A.T. But you guys are talking like Kobe doesn't even belong on the court with him. MJ #1, Kobe 15 spots behind him??? Come man, get serious lol

lamzoka
05-17-2013, 07:56 AM

Exep the hornets

eso
05-17-2013, 08:15 AM
does it even matter? please respect the players for who they where/are shyt, MJ, Kobe, Magic, Bird, Shaq, Lebron, Melo, KD who cares and it can never be proven for all we know Melo might of dominated MJ for whatever reason, just appreciate these awesome athletes for who and what they are because before you know it they retire and you remember what you are missing out on.

bagwell368
05-17-2013, 08:16 AM

But that #12-16 all-time ranking is extremely misleading & poorly misplaced to say the least! The gap between those 2 is much smaller than many say. Jordan may very well be the G.O.A.T. But you guys are talking like Kobe doesn't even belong on the court with him. MJ #1, Kobe 15 spots behind him??? Come man, get serious lol

Disagree. Kobe shot too much given his %. Kobe is not #2 all time. He's the #2 SG. In case you haven't noticed there are more then two Centers in the top 10 for instance.

I've seen then all in/near there prime since Wilt, Russell, West, Chet Walker and the rest. Kobe isn't top 10. You have to consider career counting numbers which Kobe is great at, and also career percentage numbers (less great), and 1, 3, and 5 year peaks for counting stats and percentage stats, and finally other factors such as what sort of a teammate he was (drove Shaq out of LA, he had to be THE man.) I don't care for players that have to be alpha all the time. That's where guys like Duncan, Bird, KG, Magic get extra points. They could play with 4 other cosmic stars and one ball, and it would work. You try and imagine Kobe with Karl Malone, Wilt in his offensive period, and Iverson and tell me how Kobe would make that any better?

bucketss
05-17-2013, 08:29 AM
copy bryant.

Captain Moroni
05-17-2013, 08:54 AM
Jordan was the better player. He is the best player in NBA history hands down.

pacofunk64
05-17-2013, 11:01 AM
The one thing no one in this NBA can match now a days is the passion and aggression MJ had on the court. LBJ is probably more gifted athletically but he does not have that passion like Jordan did. No one is intimidated by LBJ.

HouRealCoach
05-17-2013, 11:11 AM
I really don't understand the comparison...

Jordan averages more points, rebounds, assists, steals, blocks, less turnovers, & shoots a better percentage. Demolishes him in awards & in advanced stats.. Kobe has the upper hand in nothing against Jordan

el hidalgo
05-17-2013, 11:29 AM

agreed. the comparisons only come about because he tries to play the same style as MJ. in terms on stats, kobe can't even hold MJ's jockstrap. he is a less efficient, more self centered copy cat of jordan. its embarrassing when people try comparing him to the GOAT, yet you see amos1er and his sig putting kobe in the same class as jordan. its a joke tbh

el hidalgo
05-17-2013, 11:33 AM
Wonder what Phil has to say about the cowardly way Lebron colluded to take less money so that he could team up with a top 5 and top 15 player (both also took less money) in order to chase a ring in the prime of his career?

damn dawg, why you gotta bring up lebron? i see your sig is calling him insecure, but you sound a little insecure. upset that he has passed kobe?

and please, dont put kobe in the same class and jordan. its laugh worthy.

zn23
05-17-2013, 01:34 PM
I thought Phil said all the right points, that myself and everyone on here has been saying about Kobe for the last year. Phil always had the balls to say whatever he wanted.

Kobe is one of the worst leaders I've ever seen. No surprise Phil pointed that out clearly.

"One of the biggest differences between the two stars from my perspective was Michael's superior skills as a leader," Jackson writes. "Though at times he could be hard on his teammates, Michael was masterful at controlling the emotional climate of the team with the power of his presence. Kobe had a long way to go before he could make that claim. He talked a good game, but he'd yet to experience the cold truth of leadership in his bones, as Michael had in his bones."

When you consider that the Lakers got Howard and Nash and couldn't make it work because Kobe tried to force everyone to adjust to him, and he refused to adjust anyone.

Then he mentioned the awful defense.

"In general, Kobe tends to rely more heavily on his flexibility and craftiness, but he takes a lot of gambles on defense and sometimes pays the price."

His lack of playmaking:

"When his shot is off, Kobe will pound away relentlessly until his luck turns. Michael, on the other hand, would shift his attention to defense or passing or setting screens to help the team win the game."

Bruno
05-17-2013, 01:47 PM

hardly. the vast majority of fans from all ages put Kobe in top ten.

I know you're old school, who are the 11-15 you've got in front of Kobe?

Jenceman
05-17-2013, 02:02 PM

I'm sorry, 14? Kobe is easily a top 10 player of all- time. How many people have matched his longevity?

ILLUSIONIST^248
05-17-2013, 02:09 PM

Sure, but top ten? no way! Kobe was picked 13th for a reason. Kobe is the biggest over achiever ever.

ILLUSIONIST^248
05-17-2013, 02:14 PM
Yay!! more baiting from a dupe who hasn't been caught yet.

Might be a little bit of an overstatement but at the end of the day Jordan was a far superior basketball player in almost ALL aspects of the game and that's just the truth. Anyone who says otherwise is simply a Kobe lover.

He's the goat tardo, of course he's better than Kobe.

ILLUSIONIST^248
05-17-2013, 02:16 PM

Worst post ever!

ILLUSIONIST^248
05-17-2013, 02:20 PM
damn dawg, why you gotta bring up lebron? i see your sig is calling him insecure, but you sound a little insecure. upset that he has passed kobe?

and please, dont put kobe in the same class and jordan. its laugh worthy.
The only thing that's laugh worthy is a pathetic kid sitting behind his computer trolling all day after loosing an account bet. Be a man of your bet and gtfo.

el hidalgo
05-17-2013, 02:26 PM
The only thing that's laugh worthy is a pathetic kid sitting behind his computer trolling all day after loosing an account bet. Be a man of your bet and gtfo.

keep on making things up bro.

joeym
05-17-2013, 02:32 PM
Which is why Charlotte traded him for a Siberian with a non-verified birth certificate.

Vlade Divac was from Siberia?

ILLUSIONIST^248
05-17-2013, 02:35 PM
keep on making things up bro.

You think you're smart because post history only goes up to 8 pages. People have already seem me talk about our bet on your visitor messages, so it's been confirmed . You are a girl for posting after losing an account bet. We get it you think your cute trolling Laker fans every time you get, but we all laugh at you.

bucketss
05-17-2013, 02:48 PM
Sure, but top ten? no way! Kobe was picked 13th for a reason. Kobe is the biggest over achiever ever.

because he refused to play for any team except the fakers.

bucketss
05-17-2013, 02:50 PM
You think you're smart because post history only goes up to 8 pages. People have already seem me talk about our bet on your visitor messages, so it's been confirmed . You are a girl for posting after losing an account bet. We get it you think your cute trolling Laker fans every time you get, but we all laugh at you.

this bet never existed, stop making things up. we all know you never win anything lmao.

girlsluvBeyonce
05-17-2013, 02:56 PM

they only "similar"between because kobe stole all his moves and the way he talks walks and wears his sneakers

ILLUSIONIST^248
05-17-2013, 03:03 PM
they only "similar"between because kobe stole all his moves and the way he talks walks and wears his sneakers

I would like to here this again in English, and not from a dupe.

ILLUSIONIST^248
05-17-2013, 03:04 PM
because he refused to play for any team except the fakers.
What a clueless clown.

this bet never existed, stop making things up. we all know you never win anything lmao.

Says the guy who gets his *** handed to him in almost every debate.:laugh2: Keep it going KIP, you keep me young.

girlsluvBeyonce
05-17-2013, 03:05 PM

your a dupe :silly:

girlsluvBeyonce
05-17-2013, 03:06 PM
I win tho ?

girlsluvBeyonce
05-17-2013, 03:09 PM
I came realization that kobe is a dupe of jordan :laugh2:

LayBraun
05-17-2013, 03:11 PM
Yay!! more baiting from a dupe who hasn't been caught yet.

He's the goat tardo, of course he's better than Kobe.

Another person claiming I'm a dupe haha. This forum is comical. Considering I already talked to a moderator when I first joined cause I didn't even know what that meant but I was cleared.

I've seen you post all over the place and when someone puts down your lover you call them out as a dupe? Nice job.

And obviously Jordan is the GOAT??? I'm talking in terms of the two being compared. It's a flat out disrespect to Jordan that people even think it's between Kobe and Mike for 1 and 2 because there are way far superior players to Kobe. Deal with it.

ILLUSIONIST^248
05-17-2013, 03:14 PM
Another person claiming I'm a dupe haha. This forum is comical. Considering I already talked to a moderator when I first joined cause I didn't even know what that meant but I was cleared.

I've seen you post all over the place and when someone puts down your lover you call them out as a dupe? Nice job.

And obviously Jordan is the GOAT??? I'm talking in terms of the two being compared. It's a flat out disrespect to Jordan that people even think it's between Kobe and Mike for 1 and 2 because there are way far superior players to Kobe. Deal with it.

Just because you haven't been caught yet doesn't mean you're not a dupe.

Kobe is the closest thing to Jordan, so the comparisons are perfectly fine.

LayBraun
05-17-2013, 03:14 PM
By the way, what's worse than a dupe? Someone who calls out every single new poster for being a dupe when they say something he doesn't like about his best friend Kobe.

LayBraun
05-17-2013, 03:15 PM
Keep telling yourself that, man.

girlsluvBeyonce
05-17-2013, 03:28 PM
the dupes were eliminated last night

RaiderLakersA's
05-17-2013, 03:44 PM

Winner. :cheers:

BigCityofDreams
05-17-2013, 04:21 PM

I can see where you're coming from. If you told ppl back then that the teenager drafted at 13 would end up being a top ten all time player they would call you crazy.

True but how many people felt he would be one of the best to ever do it?

sammyvine
05-17-2013, 05:01 PM
I can see where you're coming from. If you told ppl back then that the teenager drafted at 13 would end up being a top ten all time player they would call you crazy.

this

the fact iversen, allen, both guards were picked ahead of him says it all....

LayBraun
05-17-2013, 05:09 PM
this

the fact iversen, allen, both guards were picked ahead of him says it all....

Not really sure what that says actually...?

bucketss
05-17-2013, 05:29 PM

im pretty sure illusionist is KBPAUd12's alternate account, so don't take what he says seriously.

ILLUSIONIST^248
05-17-2013, 05:36 PM

True but how many people felt he would be one of the best to ever do it?exactly.

im pretty sure illusionist is KBPAUd12's alternate account, so don't take what he says seriously.

I was posting here while KB was still here, so how is that possible? I actually made that account bet With that little girl El Hidalgo in honor of KB, but instead of leaving like a man he is still around. Some where KB is laughing just as hard as I am about the situation. So try again KiP Dynamite.

ztilzer31
05-17-2013, 05:49 PM

Neither was Michael Jordan.

ILLUSIONIST^248
05-17-2013, 05:54 PM
Neither was Michael Jordan.

:facepalm: one of the worst post ever. Jordan was incredibly Strong, fast and athletic. How old are you 13?

bucketss
05-17-2013, 05:56 PM
exactly.

I was posting here while KB was still here, so how is that possible? I actually made that account bet With that little girl El Hidalgo in honor of KB, but instead of leaving like a man he is still around. Some where KB is laughing just as hard as I am about the situation. So try again KiP Dynamite.

its very possible when you have no life and work at a sandwich joint lol.

ILLUSIONIST^248
05-17-2013, 06:09 PM
its very possible when you have no life and work at a sandwich joint lol.

Lol, post of the day. I have plenty of free time on my hands. Luckily for me I have a computer in the back office of my main restaurant, so I'm able to post at almost any part of the day. All I have to do is keep an eye on my employees, count cash, pay bills, do inventory, and a few other things to keep my businesses running properly. Sorry I worked my *** off for 10 years to get to where I am today. So if you ever get tired of working at your local super market, PM me for advice on the keys of success.

bucketss
05-17-2013, 06:31 PM
cool story bro, please don't tell it again.

Vee-Rex
05-17-2013, 06:35 PM
Hopefully this puts to rest all the stupid Kobe > MJ debates on here from the Kobe fanatics. No one on this planet would know better than Phil, and the only reason it took Phil this long is because he didn't want to say it while he was actually coaching Kobe.

Now that it looks like he'll never coach Kobe again, he can be free and honest.

With that said, Kobe really is the 2nd best SG of all time to me and is easily one of the greatest of all time. It'll be a sad day for the NBA when he retires.

ztilzer31
05-17-2013, 07:29 PM
:facepalm: one of the worst post ever. Jordan was incredibly Strong, fast and athletic. How old are you 13?

Many people including Jordan's own trainer have said that people that claim Jordan was the most athletic player of his era are wrong. Jordan's own trainer said that Barkley was the most athletic player he ever saw. Jordan was athletic, but that definitely wasn't his greatest asset. His basketball knowledge was how he made people look so stupid.... Just like how most people use it to make you look stupid.

ztilzer31
05-17-2013, 07:35 PM
Hopefully this puts to rest all the stupid Kobe > MJ debates on here from the Kobe fanatics. No one on this planet would know better than Phil, and the only reason it took Phil this long is because he didn't want to say it while he was actually coaching Kobe.

Now that it looks like he'll never coach Kobe again, he can be free and honest.

With that said, Kobe really is the 2nd best SG of all time to me and is easily one of the greatest of all time. It'll be a sad day for the NBA when he retires.

Not many people question Kobe if Kobe is great, but for years people acted like he was the second coming of Jordan. He never was nearly as good as jordan, and was never even regarded as the definite best player in the league at anytime of his career. It's just good to have proof from both their coaches. Phil doesn't ********. Tells it like it is.

girlsluvBeyonce
05-17-2013, 07:58 PM
kobe is dupe

el hidalgo
05-17-2013, 08:01 PM

hmm that would explain why he is so obsessed with me. i was the bane of that guys existence.

ILLUSIONIST^248
05-17-2013, 08:09 PM
Many people including Jordan's own trainer have said that people that claim Jordan was the most athletic player of his era are wrong. Jordan's own trainer said that Barkley was the most athletic player he ever saw. Jordan was athletic, but that definitely wasn't his greatest asset. His basketball knowledge was how he made people look so stupid.... Just like how most people use it to make you look stupid.

Jordan is the second fastest, athletic, and strongest player to ever play the game only behind Lebron.

ILLUSIONIST^248
05-17-2013, 08:10 PM
hmm that would explain why he is so obsessed with me. i was the bane of that guys existence.

And I would have ended you if you weren't such a little girl. KB is somewhere laughing at you.

el hidalgo
05-17-2013, 08:14 PM
Jordan is the second fastest, athletic, and strongest player to ever play the game only behind Lebron.

i forget wilt chamberlain never played in the NBA :laugh:

quit trying to knock other players to make kobe look better. sure, jordan was a world class athlete. you act like he was so athletically gifted that he didn't have to work for anything. he got cut from his high school basketball team. dude worked his *** off.

girlsluvBeyonce
05-17-2013, 08:16 PM
melo is strong

tredigs
05-17-2013, 08:29 PM

Jordan was really no faster than D. Rose, Westbrook, younger D. Wade, Barbosa, young Devin Harris, Aaron Brooks, Zeke, etc.

No more athletic than J. Rich, John Wall, Westbrook, Hakeem, Wilt, young Kobe, Dr. J, Nate Robinson, etc depending on how you gauge athleticism.

No stronger than: *Insert 750 player here* (2nd strongest ever? Are you drunk?).

Kobe was wildly athletic in his youth as well, let's not get it twisted. He was very reminiscent of Jordan, only with smaller hands and a lower bbiq that resulted in more selfish play and less team success. Jordan had the advantage between the two skill wise + athleticially, but it was not significant. The intangibles on the other hand were.

edit: Decent comparison video of their athleticism: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJvm6MdH_B8

Jordan wins for mid-air dexterity and creativity along with a better first step, but like I said, very close in that regard.

Hawkeye15
05-17-2013, 08:58 PM
Jordan had 8-9 seasons better than Kobe has ever had, so there is that as well. His basketball IQ was stronger, and his defensive tenacity, and huge hands, along with knowing when not to force, force, force, made it an easy call between the two. The stats back it up and then some.

ztilzer31
05-17-2013, 09:50 PM

Jordan was the second most athletic player on his team. Pippen was more of the mismatch because of size and athleticism than Jordan. You don't know what you are talking about. Jordan was athletic, but this huge false theory that he was the most athletic player in the NBA is straight wrong. Especially in an era with Dominique Wilkins, Scottie Pippen, Magic Johnson (I know more towards the end), Hakeem Olajuwan, Charles Barkley, and Shawn Kemp. You trying to put Jordan right behind James in athleticism just shows how you can't see basketball without biased eyes.

Stop acting like you know what you're talking about... When someones own trainer says that Jordan wasn't even the most athletic player in his era you should listen. Not just believe what you want to believe. Jordan has the highest basketball IQ ever. That's what makes him great. Not his athleticism.

jerellh528
05-17-2013, 09:55 PM
They're very comparable players. Both amazing players in their own right.

ztilzer31
05-18-2013, 12:05 AM

quit trying to knock other players to make kobe look better. sure, jordan was a world class athlete. you act like he was so athletically gifted that he didn't have to work for anything. he got cut from his high school basketball team. dude worked his *** off.

He didn't get "cut from his basketball team". He didn't make varsity freshman year. While one of Jordan's best friends made varsity... Can't remember his name.. Jordan played a very prestigious high school that rarely allowed freshman to play varsity.

amos1er
05-18-2013, 12:27 AM

The voice of reason.

albertc86
05-18-2013, 12:41 AM
To say Jordan was far more superior than Kobe is ridiculous. Stop deifying Jordan and if you really believe what you're saying then stop watching basketball because it clearly ended when Jordan made his final exit. I'd agree that Jordan was the better team player but it is debatable who the better individual talent was. If you don't think Kobe in is prime wouldn't have lit up the individual competition that Jordan had against him then you're just hating....

amos1er
05-18-2013, 12:46 AM
To say Jordan was far more superior than Kobe is ridiculous. Stop deifying Jordan and if you really believe what you're saying then stop watching basketball because it clearly ended when Jordan made his final exit. I'd agree that Jordan was the better team player but it is debatable who the better individual talent was. If you don't think Kobe in is prime wouldn't have lit up the individual competition that Jordan had against him then you're just hating....

Well said.

el hidalgo
05-18-2013, 12:55 AM
Well said.

haha dude quit making me laugh with your sig :laugh: this thread has proven kobe is a joke compared to mj. he has been a 2nd option for the majority of his championships. me and my boys are laughing at your signature right now :laugh2: :laugh2: just take it out to save any further embarrassment

amos1er
05-18-2013, 01:24 AM
haha dude quit making me laugh with your sig :laugh: this thread has proven kobe is a joke compared to mj. he has been a 2nd option for the majority of his championships. me and my boys are laughing at your signature right now :laugh2: :laugh2: just take it out to save any further embarrassment

Don't you mean you and your bottle of lube.

Lyo the Gr8
05-18-2013, 02:02 AM
kobe mad

SACNYY
05-18-2013, 02:06 AM
Phil is an attention whore. Seriously, STFU about Kobe vs MJ already. Everyone knows MJ is better, he's the GOAT for crying out loud. Phil writes new book and is back talking trash on Kobe. SMH. He did this already, went back and won 2 more titles with Kobe, and now back to talking ****. It's so annoying. What a douche.

FOBolous
05-18-2013, 03:58 AM

i love how you just respond with your own OPINION like it's fact with nothing to back it up like we're suppose to just take your word for it.

Bravo95
05-18-2013, 04:05 AM
I fully expect Allen Iverson and Kobe Bryant to deliver two of the harshest and most memorable speeches we'll ever hear at the Hall of Fame induction. And I can't wait, hope they both get on that stage and air out everybody.

ztilzer31
05-18-2013, 05:33 AM

It isn't ridiculous at all. Kobe literally isn't better at Jordan at anything when it comes to basketball. If a comparison is close there has to be some sort of balance between who's better at what. Kobe literally isn't better at a single thing on a basketball court than Michael Jordan.

ztilzer31
05-18-2013, 05:35 AM
Amosier and Illusionist are literally the dumb and dumber of the NBA section. I swear Illusionist doesn't even watch basketball he just stalks Kobe.

STA_PLAR
05-18-2013, 05:41 AM
I don't even like Kobe and he is wout a doubt a top 10 all-time. As a matter of fact I hate him and still admit it.

ldawg
05-18-2013, 07:36 AM
No surprise here. Most of us know Jordan was better than Kobe and Kobe mold his game off Jordan. That does not take away from his greatness. He is one of the best players of all time.

3RDASYSTEM
05-18-2013, 08:50 AM
It isn't ridiculous at all. Kobe literally isn't better at Jordan at anything when it comes to basketball. If a comparison is close there has to be some sort of balance between who's better at what. Kobe literally isn't better at a single thing on a basketball court than Michael Jordan.

Of course he's not better but probably at shooting 3's

how can a person who took-stole-borrow anothers mans complete game/walk/talk and say they are better? and to top it off he was a backup to eddie jones

you guys are such genius

3RDASYSTEM
05-18-2013, 08:55 AM

he got cut cause of his youth or game?

everybody works for it, even the most gifted like a BRON/SHAQ/WILT/IVERSON

its just those type of players wont ever be a backup on any level until they get 'old' and media ****ed, see IVERSON for proof

3RDASYSTEM
05-18-2013, 09:04 AM
Well said.

bash BEAN and its out of sight out of mind

give him 1 line of props or a paragraph and its well said

the wonderful fans of BEAN

3RDASYSTEM
05-18-2013, 09:06 AM

yea its totally comedy to figure out that a backup player turned starter would be top 10 ever based on longevity

JETER is top 10 also ever in MLB, 5 rings and 19yrs strong(im joking about top 10)

I look at BEAN the same way I do JETER,nothing more nothing less

BigCityofDreams
05-18-2013, 09:19 AM
yea its totally comedy to figure out that a backup player turned starter would be top 10 ever based on longevity

JETER is top 10 also ever in MLB, 5 rings and 19yrs strong(im joking about top 10)

I look at BEAN the same way I do JETER,nothing more nothing less

Oh so you look at them as two of the best players in their generation well that's good enough for me. :D

3RDASYSTEM
05-18-2013, 09:45 AM

well go read all my English posts I've made about this exactly same thing

I could also post that picture up showing exactly how he copied, stole or borrowed

he's what he is from day1, a backup guard turned starter

same with MOSES same with KEMP same with AMARE(ROY straight out HS) same with BRON(ROY straight out HS) same with KG and same with .....BEAN

its like how someone on here is saying how is KG not top 25 of alltime, now imagine had he played in LA market where he started yr1 and not a backup to ELDEN CAMPBELL for yrs, he would have a diff. perception mediawise, but not in my book because I know game and impact when I watch it, its very basic and easy to break it down that way

playing helps also

you know park or gym or organized ball on some level no matter how small or big

on up to the corrupt rigged nba its still the same, game/impact is the same, it can only be enhanced or derailed by coaching and injuries

he was starting for allstar team and not for lakers team, what a top 10 player ever, I get it now

wait no I don't

you know its hype and more hype when people(most fiens and non players) are screaming about how nobody knew a 13th pick would turn out like this, isnt that a lottery pick? he would have went as high as 8th so im asking how did he go from 8th pick starter day1 to 13th pick backup guard-6th man of yr runner up?

and now he's all of a sudden top 10 ever based on longevity? wow

how is he not better than JONES at 18 but he is at 22 or 25? child please

what BEAN is doing at this age is no diff. than what he did in Rookie ASG which was score/shoot the ball, he do that now and even took NASH's role to prove that he can do more than score when needed at 34yrs of age,congrats

why is it amazing to watch a backup guard turn starter and do what he always did pre nba which was play like JORDAN and shoot to score? I see its LA market and the tradition which doesn't mean **** to me when ranking the best of the actual best players

BRON was better than JONES at 18 just like he was 22 or 25, its like that for every true top 10 player, they are just that good off top, day1....no mediahype needed

BEAN gets recognition for being exactly like the elvis of bball, congrats to the poor mans version but it doesn't make him top 10 'best players'

3RDASYSTEM
05-18-2013, 09:48 AM
Oh so you look at them as two of the best players in their generation well that's good enough for me. :D

good players(any person who make it to mlb or nba has to be good at something right?)

not top 10 best players ever, not even close

considering you could make a top 10 or 20 or 30 list of best players for a generation im sure he would fit in someone where but that doesn't make him top 10best players ever,him and JETER are not even close when speaking on game-impact

JETER is like every yr the most overrated player in mlb, same way I feel about his twin in nba, BEAN

3RDASYSTEM
05-18-2013, 09:51 AM

How impressive is it to go from a backup guard to starter?

how unimpressive is it to start for west allstar team but not for your regular season squad but you're a top 10 best player off alltime yrs later because of longevity? you guys really need sports therapy

or just go play so you can see whos the best on the floor and has the biggest impact individually

Once anybody on here(non player or player) get enough balls to answer why a backup turned starter is such big a deal then we will finally get somewhere

and I mean that from every sport, from a backup QB to a RB to the first bat off the bench or 4th outfielder in mlb, its not that big of a deal if they get the starting gig unless major hype is involved

ArmLaker
05-18-2013, 11:13 AM
good players(any person who make it to mlb or nba has to be good at something right?)

considering you could make a top 10 or 20 or 30 list of best players for a generation im sure he would fit in someone where but that doesn't make him top 10best players ever,him and JETER are not even close when speaking on game-impact

JETER is like every yr the most overrated player in mlb, same way I feel about his twin in nba, BEAN

You're the dumbest mother****er I've ever met on this forum :facepalm:

ILLUSIONIST^248
05-18-2013, 01:30 PM
Jordan was really no faster than D. Rose, Westbrook, younger D. Wade, Barbosa, young Devin Harris, Aaron Brooks, Zeke, etc.

No more athletic than J. Rich, John Wall, Westbrook, Hakeem, Wilt, young Kobe, Dr. J, Nate Robinson, etc depending on how you gauge athleticism.

No stronger than: *Insert 750 player here* (2nd strongest ever? Are you drunk?).

Kobe was wildly athletic in his youth as well, let's not get it twisted. He was very reminiscent of Jordan, only with smaller hands and a lower bbiq that resulted in more selfish play and less team success. Jordan had the advantage between the two skill wise + athleticially, but it was not significant. The intangibles on the other hand were.

edit: Decent comparison video of their athleticism: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJvm6MdH_B8

Jordan wins for mid-air dexterity and creativity along with a better first step, but like I said, very close in that regard.

I never said he was the strongest individual. He is number two in the regards of the combination of all three.

ILLUSIONIST^248
05-18-2013, 01:34 PM
i love how you just respond with your own OPINION like it's fact with nothing to back it up like we're suppose to just take your word for it.

Name another players that matches him in the combination of all three?

ztilzer31
05-18-2013, 01:54 PM
Name another players that matches him in the combination of all three?

Magic Johnson/Charles Barkley. Two obvious ones and there's literally probably 10-20 more you could list.

ILLUSIONIST^248
05-18-2013, 01:57 PM
Magic Johnson/Charles Barkley. Two obvious ones and there's literally probably 10-20 more you could list.

Those two are at the top of the list, but they're not Jordan when it comes to the combination of the three.

ztilzer31
05-18-2013, 01:58 PM
Also Scottie Pippen was more of an athletic phenom than Jordan. Huge guy that can take on guards.

ILLUSIONIST^248
05-18-2013, 02:06 PM
Also Scottie Pippen was more of an athletic phenom than Jordan. Huge guy that can take on guards.

Show me visual evidence of someone who was on par with Jordan in combo of all three.
http://youtu.be/LAr6oAKieHk
That's just a sample size of what that 3 way combo will do for you.

BigCityofDreams
05-18-2013, 02:11 PM

Jeter is not top ten but Kobe is. A majority of ppl have in the top ten all time or worst right out side of it. Jeter is called overrated because he plays for the Yankees and they think the NYC hype makes him better than he is. Jeter was never as talented as A-rod and Alex even took some shots at him but it wasn't until A-rod came here that he realized Jeter was just as great as everyone thought he was. His post season performances speak for themselves.

How impressive is it to go from a backup guard to starter?

how unimpressive is it to start for west allstar team but not for your regular season squad but you're a top 10 best player off alltime yrs later because of longevity? you guys really need sports therapy

or just go play so you can see whos the best on the floor and has the biggest impact individually

Once anybody on here(non player or player) get enough balls to answer why a backup turned starter is such big a deal then we will finally get somewhere

and I mean that from every sport, from a backup QB to a RB to the first bat off the bench or 4th outfielder in mlb, its not that big of a deal if they get the starting gig unless major hype is involved

Very impressive based on the fact that he equaled and later exceeded the production of the guy he replaced.

You're mixing up four or five things in the second statement.

Kobe is a big deal because of what he has accomplished in the NBA. There are players from the past better than him. Players in the present better than him. Hell there will be future stars better than him too but when the game is talked about his name will come up. I know it bothers some ppl but live it because it's going to happen. I'm not referring to the fans of the gamw that critique his career objectively because they're doing based on performance. I'm talking about the little girls that happily run and post threads when he misses a game winner or the guys/girls that cheered his injury.

ztilzer31
05-18-2013, 02:31 PM
Show me visual evidence of someone who was on par with Jordan in combo of all three.
http://youtu.be/LAr6oAKieHk
That's just a sample size of what that 3 way combo will do for you.

You literally have not a clue to what you're talking about. JORDAN'S OWN TRAINER SAID THAT HE WASN'T EVEN CLOSE TO BEING THE MOST ATHLETIC PLAYER IN THE NBA DURING HIS TENURE.

Of course you know more than him though. More than a trainer that gets paid 10k a day.... God you're annoying. Even when you're wrong you argue. Jordan is not the most athletically gifted player of all time. Not even number 2. Probably not even top 5. However being athletically gifted doesn't automatically make you a great basketball player. There are probably 50 horrible basketball players that played in the NBA and are more athletically gifted than MJ, but couldn't hang with him on the court for 5 seconds.. Shawn Kemp was twice the athlete as Michael Jordan, but not even close to as good of a player. Athleticism is very important in the NBA, but it's not what makes you great.

BklynKnicks3
05-18-2013, 02:37 PM
Mj goat lebron is the boat

Denverbronco007
05-18-2013, 02:38 PM
The one thing no one in this NBA can match now a days is the passion and aggression MJ had on the court. LBJ is probably more gifted athletically but he does not have that passion like Jordan did. No one is intimidated by LBJ.

couldn't agree more. I watched them all. Jordan was the best. He intimidated opposing players like no other. That's why everyone wanted to be like Mike. Kobe is still wicked nasty though. 6-0 in the finals. Plus, he took 2 years off in his prime. He probably would have had 8 championships had he not done that. He was a freak on both sides of the ball

ILLUSIONIST^248
05-18-2013, 02:54 PM
You literally have not a clue to what you're talking about. JORDAN'S OWN TRAINER SAID THAT HE WASN'T EVEN CLOSE TO BEING THE MOST ATHLETIC PLAYER IN THE NBA DURING HIS TENURE.

Of course you know more than him though. More than a trainer that gets paid 10k a day.... God you're annoying. Even when you're wrong you argue. Jordan is not the most athletically gifted player of all time. Not even number 2. Probably not even top 5. However being athletically gifted doesn't automatically make you a great basketball player. There are probably 50 horrible basketball players that played in the NBA and are more athletically gifted than MJ, but couldn't hang with him on the court for 5 seconds.. Shawn Kemp was twice the athlete as Michael Jordan, but not even close to as good of a player. Athleticism is very important in the NBA, but it's not what makes you great.

Are you stupid dude? What part of COMBINATION OF ALL THREE don't you get?

RLundi
05-18-2013, 02:57 PM

Ironic.

ILLUSIONIST^248
05-18-2013, 03:17 PM
Ironic.

I type fast and make mistakes sometimes. Are we going to get into this type of conversation again Lundi? Do I really have to explain to you how typing incorrectly means nothing in the real world?

RLundi
05-18-2013, 03:37 PM
I type fast and make mistakes sometimes. Are we going to get into this type of conversation again Lundi? Do I really have to explain to you how typing incorrectly means nothing in the real world?

Lol just saying, you should probably make sure you have all your ducks in a row before insulting someone's intelligence :)

ILLUSIONIST^248
05-18-2013, 03:42 PM
Lol just saying, you should probably make sure you have all your ducks in a row before insulting someone's intelligence :)

I was talking about the incoherent rant he was making not his ability to spell. Stop stalking me :P

ztilzer31
05-18-2013, 05:31 PM
Pippen. He was stronger just as quick and slightly less athletic... Barkley was probably slightly slower with more athleticism and strength. There are tons of players.

You don't know what you're talking about, and the more you talk the dumber you sound. Please just do us all a favor and watch Michael Jordan play before you make assumptions about his abilities.