PDA

View Full Version : Source: Paul Pierce not expected to return to Celtics ....

JordansBulls
05-14-2013, 08:10 PM
http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2013/05/boston_celtics_rumors_2013_i_d.html?utm_source=fee dly

Those close to Paul Pierce believe he will not return to the Boston Celtics next season, according to CSNNE sideline reporter Greg Dickerson – and Pierce might think his days in green are done, as well.

"I don't think they will (bring Pierce back)," Dickerson said Sunday on CSNNE. "And I know that the company that Paul Pierce hangs around in, they do not believe – and I don't think Paul Pierce believes – that he is going to be brought back next year at $15 million. I know for a fact that people around Paul Pierce have pretty much resigned themselves to the fact that he's played his final game in a Boston Celtics uniform. Again, Paul wants to stay – obviously for $15 million, but he wants to finish his career in a Celtics uniform."

The lone year remaining on Pierce's contract can be bought out for $5 million. Asked whether he believes the Celtics will trade Pierce or buy him out, Dickerson said: "One way or the other. Probably a buyout. More than likely a buyout."

If Pierce does not return, Kevin Garnett has indicated he won't want to either.

"If Paul's gone, I think without a doubt Kevin Garnett is gone – either by retirement or he finally decides to waive his no-trade clause, and the Celtics maybe work something out with a (Los Angeles Clippers) team," said Dickerson. "But the list is real short; the teams that Kevin Garnett would go to, there might be two of them on it, and they both might be the Clippers and (Los Angeles) Lakers."

Dickerson also dismissed any reports that head coach Doc Rivers could leave Boston for another team. As he does annually, Rivers – who has three years left on his contract – said he needed time to clear his head before deciding whether to return next season. In the meantime, his name has been associated with other openings.

The Brooklyn Nets are reportedly expected to ask for permission to speak to Rivers as they look for a P.J. Carlesimo replacement, and a seemingly far-fetched rumor started by Stephen A. Smith claimed the Clippers could also look to acquire Rivers – but Dickerson said not to worry about any potential poaching.

"Forget about the Brooklyn rumors, forget about the Clippers rumors or whatever other teams out there need a head coach," said Dickerson. "Doc Rivers will not – repeat, will not – coach somewhere else next season unless it's the Boston Celtics. Period, end of topic."

VCaintdead17
05-14-2013, 08:17 PM
This actually really surprises me. Should have shipped him and KG off to LA when they had the chance I guess.

ManRam
05-14-2013, 08:23 PM
kinda bums me. but he should leave. always liked him, and it will be weird seeing him in anything but the celtics green.

go to LA...clippers.

ccg34
05-14-2013, 08:24 PM
South Beach bound!

h2r09
05-14-2013, 08:27 PM
they need to rebuild. they had an amazing run but they just cant continue with this same core. if they build around green though it would be a huge mistake. he is nothing special.

BKLYNpigeon
05-14-2013, 08:35 PM
This actually really surprises me. Should have shipped him and KG off to LA when they had the chance I guess.

Celtics couldnt, KG has a no trade clause.

WHODAT8o8
05-14-2013, 08:39 PM
he couldve waived it doe.

koreancabbage
05-14-2013, 08:40 PM
go to Miami. get that extra championship.

CHANGO
05-14-2013, 08:48 PM
go to Miami. get that extra championship.

I would find this EFFING hilarious and at the same time disgusting... Not happening tho.

bleedprple&gold
05-14-2013, 08:50 PM

They still might. I could see that trade being revisited this offseason if KG agrees to waive his no-trade clause, which he might if they say they are going to cut Pierce otherwise.

bleedprple&gold
05-14-2013, 08:53 PM
kinda bums me. but he should leave. always liked him, and it will be weird seeing him in anything but the celtics green.

go to LA...clippers.

It would be weird but I can envision him with the Clippers. If Ewing can play for a team other than the Knicks, if Olajuwon can play for a team other than the Rockets, if Malone can play for a team other than the Jazz, Pierce can play for a team other than the Celtics. It happens. Sometimes business comes before loyalty.

Strumpy
05-14-2013, 09:04 PM
Bummer, but it was bound to happen eventually. It will be weird to see him in anything but green, but that's just the way it goes in the NBA today; and you can't knock him if he wants to chase the championship. Pierce deserves nothing but praise from Celtics fans, and I hope he gets it from Boston.

bagwell368
05-14-2013, 09:18 PM
Bummer, but it was bound to happen eventually. It will be weird to see him in anything but green, but that's just the way it goes in the NBA today; and you can't knock him if he wants to chase the championship. Pierce deserves nothing but praise from Celtics fans, and I hope he gets it from Boston.

Wasn't special before KG, Ray, Powe, Posey, Coach T, and all the rest showed up for 2007-2008. By far the highest paid Celt of all time, and helped win one title. I respect him, but I won't miss him.

Odominator
05-14-2013, 09:18 PM
Time to go to the one team that caters to all NBA seniors-- Los Angeles Lakers

Cano-Montero...
05-14-2013, 09:29 PM
Time to go to the one team that caters to all NBA seniors-- Los Angeles Lakers

would love him and and kg go to the lakers.. for 1 last run...

maybe a 3 way trade? pau/duhon for KG and pierce.. where pau ends up to a 3rd team, celtics get duhon, expirings, cap space and picks... duhon could be bought out..

mdm692
05-14-2013, 09:41 PM
What I would like to see: Pierce to Chicago

What will likely happen: Pierce to either LA team.

Strumpy
05-14-2013, 09:52 PM
Wasn't special before KG, Ray, Powe, Posey, Coach T, and all the rest showed up for 2007-2008. By far the highest paid Celt of all time, and helped win one title. I respect him, but I won't miss him.

Oh agreed. But he was the best player on the Celtics during the rocky period in the early part of the decade. I'll miss him because that's who I grew up watching. No where does he rank on the all-time Celts list?

Chitownhero1992
05-14-2013, 09:52 PM
Pierce won't go to Chicago:

a) we don't have money to pay him unless he wants the Vet Min
b) we don't need a SF, we have Deng and Butler and that would make him have very little playing time

I could see him going to Lakers, isn't he from LA? Lakers would be funny too it would kinda burn Celtics fans though. But he would be a huge upgrade over Artest.

mdm692
05-14-2013, 09:58 PM

a) we don't have money to pay him unless he wants the Vet Min
b) we don't need a SF, we have Deng and Butler and that would make him have very little playing time

I could see him going to Lakers, isn't he from LA? Lakers would be funny too it would kinda burn Celtics fans though. But he would be a huge upgrade over Artest.
Amnesty Boozer. Trade Deng.

Dade County
05-14-2013, 10:07 PM
South Beach bound!

NO!

South Florida already has enough actresses.

Becks2307
05-14-2013, 10:08 PM
He should go to Golden State

kozelkid
05-14-2013, 10:50 PM
What I would like to see: Pierce to Chicago

What will likely happen: Pierce to either LA team.

Me too, but he'd have to swallow his pride in terms of the contract he receives and probably be a sixth man.

Therefore, I see him much more likely going to Memphis or the Clippers, but a rotation of Butler, Deng and Pierce would be awesome.

LAKobeBryant
05-14-2013, 11:00 PM
wonder how you can build around rondo...

knicksfan42
05-14-2013, 11:11 PM

You could play him at SG.

benzni
05-14-2013, 11:13 PM
South Beach bound!

this

MTar786
05-14-2013, 11:17 PM
i would love to see kg and pierce to the lakers for paus expiring, jordan hill and watever else is needed.

doubt it happens.. but look at this

nash/blake
kobe/stephan jackson/meeks
pierce/artest(maybe amnesty him)/jackson
kg/clark
Dwight

Dade County
05-14-2013, 11:31 PM
i would love to see kg and pierce to the lakers for paus expiring, jordan hill and watever else is needed.

doubt it happens.. but look at this

nash/blake
kobe/stephan jackson/meeks
pierce/artest(maybe amnesty him)/jackson
kg/clark
Dwight

Howard is a free agent if you didn't know.

Hellcrooner
05-14-2013, 11:38 PM
And then teams and fans complain bout players loyalty.

This is disgusting as it comes.

DreamShaker
05-14-2013, 11:58 PM
It would be weird but I can envision him with the Clippers. If Ewing can play for a team other than the Knicks, if Olajuwon can play for a team other than the Rockets, if Malone can play for a team other than the Jazz, Pierce can play for a team other than the Celtics. It happens. Sometimes business comes before loyalty.

Yup. Still crazy to think about those guys in other uniforms, but it is by no means anything new. Parish even got an extra ring on MJ's Bulls 97 team.

MTar786
05-15-2013, 12:06 AM
i know, im just saying imagine that lineup next season. either way.. that lineup would be all injured by the playoffs next year too lol.

Jarvo
05-15-2013, 12:37 AM
He's going to Indy or The Grizz

smith&wesson
05-15-2013, 12:43 AM
I can see him in Memphis. Would be the perfect sf for them imo.

Cracka2HI!
05-15-2013, 01:49 AM
Clippers should trade DJ and Bled for KG and make some kind of under the table deal with Pierce that he will sign with the Clipps after Boston buys him out.

balla4life22
05-15-2013, 02:14 AM

What would lebron be without wade and bosh? Not comparing Pierce to Lebron, but every team needs at least two maybe three stars to be contenders

sep11ie
05-15-2013, 02:33 AM
NO!

South Florida already has enough actresses.

Yup... Wade, Bosh, Battier, Ray and MVP.

eugene
05-15-2013, 03:39 AM
KG to Spurs!! I want to see best two PFs of the decade winning rings and retire on one team :D

girlsluvBeyonce
05-15-2013, 03:47 AM
That fool wanTs to gEt Away frOm JaS0n T3RrY

King41
05-15-2013, 05:50 AM
he will sign for min to play with döörk dwight and paul! bookt it

bagwell368
05-15-2013, 08:19 AM
Oh agreed. But he was the best player on the Celtics during the rocky period in the early part of the decade. I'll miss him because that's who I grew up watching. No where does he rank on the all-time Celts list?

Based on longevity more than peak or titles, I have him 5th.

Bird
Russell
Havlicek
McHale
PP
Sam Jones - just behind

bagwell368
05-15-2013, 08:20 AM
wonder how you can build around rondo...

Easily if you want a lottery team.

Mcdoh
05-15-2013, 08:52 AM
come to Lakers we like getting old players.. :p

tr3ymill3r
05-15-2013, 09:34 AM
I think the only way CP3 would stay with the Clippers is to see them trade Bledsoe, Jordan, Butler and a pick or two for KG and Paul Pierce. This would ensure that Paul would have a chance at a title while Griffin matures and turns into a real basketball player and not just an athlete who can jump really high.

HouRealCoach
05-15-2013, 10:01 AM
Heard this in 2007, heard it after 2011 & after 2012

sammyvine
05-15-2013, 10:15 AM
Easily if you want a lottery team.

they can easily build around rondo, just get decent players

anyway you cant build solely around PG's. Chris Paul is regarded as the best in the game and he has never been past the 2nd round.

Jarvo
05-15-2013, 10:16 AM
KG to Spurs!! I want to see best two PFs of the decade winning rings and retire on one team :D

Duncan hates KG & KG hates him.

hugepatsfan
05-15-2013, 10:47 AM
Based on longevity more than peak or titles, I have him 5th.

Bird
Russell
Havlicek
McHale
PP
Sam Jones - just behind

Pierce being 5th speaks more to how great the Celtics franchise has been over its history than any negative on his part. I've seen Pierce often mentioned in the discussion for the 100 greatest players of all time.

justinnum1
05-15-2013, 11:19 AM
South Beach bound!

Pass

rickshaw
05-15-2013, 11:23 AM
What would lebron be without wade and bosh? Not comparing Pierce to Lebron, but every team needs at least two maybe three stars to be contenders

He'd be a 2 time MVP and leader of the team with the best record in the NBA twice. So he'd be on a contender.

AntiG
05-15-2013, 12:45 PM
It'll be a sad day as a C's fan to see PP exit.

bagwell368
05-15-2013, 12:56 PM
What would lebron be without wade and bosh?

Decisively better than Pierce.

bagwell368
05-15-2013, 01:02 PM
they can easily build around rondo, just get decent players

"Building around" implies he's the best player on the team, and in no universe I know could a team win the Championship with him as the best player. If he was the 3rd best player after say '07-'08 KG and this years Lebron, yes, but say PP from '07-'08 and RA from '07-'08, no he's not good enough to be the 3rd guy.

anyway you cant build solely around PG's. Chris Paul is regarded as the best in the game and he has never been past the 2nd round.

Now you are talking, but either way, you can't build around Rondo, and expect a title.

bagwell368
05-15-2013, 01:08 PM
Pierce being 5th speaks more to how great the Celtics franchise has been over its history than any negative on his part. I've seen Pierce often mentioned in the discussion for the 100 greatest players of all time.

There are franchises he'd be #1, #2, or #3. Most of them probably. PP is not only top 100, he's top 50, might even be around #40. That's fancy stuff. Still from demanding fans of "the" Championship team in the NBA (all 17 after I was born. Lakers only have 11 since then), I can't help feeling disappointed in him from time to time.

balla4life22
05-15-2013, 05:10 PM
He'd be a 2 time MVP and leader of the team with the best record in the NBA twice. So he'd be on a contender.

And no ships

balla4life22
05-15-2013, 05:11 PM
Decisively better than Pierce.

Did I not say I wasn't comparing them? You completely ignored my point of needing more than one star on a team to win a championship. Ask Durant

IversonIsKrazy
05-15-2013, 05:12 PM
I'm assuming they would only go to a team that has a chance of winning, amongst those, these are the teams that could benefit imo.
KG: OKC or LAC would be a good fit
Pierce: Pacers(if Granger is gone), Grizzlies(Prince is not good anymore) or LAC would be a good fit.

Though I doubt any of those teams (except LAC) would actually make a trade for them, more like a vet-min signing which I doubt either KG or Pierce would. They should just retire in Green/White.

Celticsfan2007
05-15-2013, 05:27 PM
Salute to all time great in Celtics lore.

It will be a sad day if/when he's wearing another uniform.

I fully expect him to retire a Celtics when his career is all said and done. (1 day contract most likely)