PDA

View Full Version : Sadly a team that will probably not be coming back

j-bay
05-14-2013, 01:30 PM
We talk about the Supersonics coming back to Seattle, and the Hornets coming back to Charlotte, but sadly because of the gun laws situation that is going on the Bullets will probably not be coming back. Leonsis was thinking about it a year ago but it probably won't happen now. I really wanted the Bullets back.

Snakeyestx
05-14-2013, 02:02 PM
This year was a golden opportunity for New Orleans to try to get back the name "Jazz" ... I mean.. you know, Utah's not REALLY known for its rich Jazz history.

I'm with ya on the Bullets thing.

JLynn943
05-14-2013, 02:07 PM
Wizards need a name change regardless. Even if it isn't the Bullets, I'm sure there are plenty of better options than what they've got.

utl768
05-14-2013, 02:09 PM
shoulda never changed the name to begin with

j-bay
05-14-2013, 02:16 PM
shoulda never changed the name to begin with

You can blame on the shootings that were going on at the time for that.

Chitownhero1992
05-14-2013, 02:19 PM
I thought they decided that the Bullets wouldn't come back like 3 years ago during the Arenas situation...

Bullets was never a good idea in our Nation's capitol, not saying Wizards is any better...but they'll find a good name to go with the Nationals, Capitols, Senators etc but I just hope its not too cliché.

In other news I sure hope Charlotte becomes Hornets again and Seattle gets a team(hopefully expansion). ANd it would be awesome for New Orleans to become the Jazz instead of the Pelicans...I wont ever be afraid of the Pelicans...lol

RaiderLakersA's
05-14-2013, 02:20 PM
I thought "Mortars" would have been better. Or "Drones." Take your pick.

Snakeyestx
05-14-2013, 02:27 PM
I thought "Mortars" would have been better. Or "Drones." Take your pick.

LOL.. the Washington Lobbyists...

Big Zo
05-14-2013, 02:34 PM
"Phallic Symbols", named after the Washington Monument.

sep11ie
05-14-2013, 02:39 PM
I thought they decided that the Bullets wouldn't come back like 3 years ago during the Arenas situation...

Bullets was never a good idea in our Nation's capitol, not saying Wizards is any better...but they'll find a good name to go with the Nationals, Capitols, Senators etc but I just hope its not too cliché.

In other news I sure hope Charlotte becomes Hornets again and Seattle gets a team(hopefully expansion). ANd it would be awesome for New Orleans to become the Jazz instead of the Pelicans...I wont ever be afraid of the Pelicans...lol

Are you afraid of Jazz music?

KingPosey
05-14-2013, 02:43 PM
Might as well just call them the Generals at this point.

Chitownhero1992
05-14-2013, 02:44 PM
Are you afraid of Jazz music?

Most definitely lol, no but atleast it makes sense for them New Orleans more than Utah...lol Pelicans yes makes sense and has a huge meaning for the people in New Orleans which is great it just doesn't sound right to me everytime I heard it I laugh, when you hear a sports team name you shouldn't laugh.

But i'm not just singling out the Pelicans because I've done the same thing with the Bobcats for years its too damn funny.

Kid Fabulous
05-14-2013, 03:14 PM
Its amazing how sensitive people are now that they can't use the name, Bullets. Makes no sense to me

dee279
05-14-2013, 03:47 PM
This year was a golden opportunity for New Orleans to try to get back the name "Jazz" ... I mean.. you know, Utah's not REALLY known for its rich Jazz history.

New Orleans owner tried, Jazz Owner Denied, so the Pelican name was implied, leading to the blue, red, and gold colors to be tried.

JasonJohnHorn
05-14-2013, 05:16 PM
I think we should call them The Washington Projectiles.

As for people being too sensitive, I honestly understand it. It is a city ravaged by gun violence. It is tragic. There are a number of teams that SHOULD change their names (Braves, Indians, Redskins, ect). It was a good sentiment to change the name of the Bullets... they should have just changed it to something better than The Wizards.

JeffG20
05-14-2013, 09:21 PM

the Jazz have been in Utah for 30 years... we don't want the name back. They are not willing to sell anyway, Benson asked about it.

JeffG20
05-14-2013, 09:22 PM

the intimidating name is overrated... Nets, Lakers, Knicks are not scary.... 90% of sports names are not either.

Chitownhero1992
05-14-2013, 09:55 PM
the intimidating name is overrated... Nets, Lakers, Knicks are not scary.... 90% of sports names are not either.

I'm not saying they have to be scary but atleast something that doesn't make a sports fan laugh. And yes the Nets, Lakers and Knicks aren't edgy as well but Lakers and Knicks are never going to change they've been around forever. Nets I thought should've changed when moving to Brooklyn, however Nets has been a long time name and is actually atleast a name that has something to do with Basketball.

LAcowBOMBER
05-14-2013, 10:34 PM
Its amazing how sensitive people are now that they can't use the name, Bullets. Makes no sense to me

When you rely on the public to attend your games and buy your products and you rely on the media to help the public form an opinion on you a controversial name is a bad idea. Whether you agree with it or not is irrelevant. Some people have a problem with the name and it would get bad publicity from some news outlets. From a strictly business standpoint, it is a bad idea

utl768
05-14-2013, 11:41 PM
You can blame on the shootings that were going on at the time for that.

one has nothing to do with the other

ppl are way too politically correct

JeffG20
05-14-2013, 11:55 PM
I'm not saying they have to be scary but atleast something that doesn't make a sports fan laugh. And yes the Nets, Lakers and Knicks aren't edgy as well but Lakers and Knicks are never going to change they've been around forever. Nets I thought should've changed when moving to Brooklyn, however Nets has been a long time name and is actually atleast a name that has something to do with Basketball.

Benson is trying to get the area to connect with the team. Having the State bird with a very well designed logo will help. You may not be fond of the name but it was created for the locals. Wasent my first preference but it grew on me. Besides no one will remember how ridiculous the name sounded at first once they start playing under the name after a while.

RiceOnTheRun
05-15-2013, 04:58 AM
LOL.. the Washington Lobbyists...

Scariest name of them all...

KnickNyKnick
05-15-2013, 12:12 PM

for real, and they had no issues with the Houston Rockets, although them things create death showers. (but also used to go to the moon :rolleyes: )

j-bay
05-15-2013, 05:31 PM
one has nothing to do with the other

ppl are way too politically correct

Abe Pollin(the owner at the time) changed the name because of all the shootings in DC in the 90s.