PDA

View Full Version : Bucks Considering Jerry Sloan

NYKnickFanatic
05-13-2013, 08:13 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9271464/milwaukee-bucks-considering-jerry-sloan-report

The Milwaukee Bucks are seriously considering hiring Hall of Famer Jerry Sloan as their next coach, according to a report by USA Today Sports.

The newspaper reported that the 71-year-old Sloan, who has not coached since his abrupt resignation from the Utah Jazz in February 2011 after 23 seasons, already has met with the Bucks about their vacant job.

Sloan, who has 1,221 career wins to rank third all time, turned down an offer from the Portland Trail Blazers last offseason and also was in the running to take over the Charlotte Bobcats before removing himself from consideration.

The Bucks have been in the market for a new coach after not retaining Jim Boylan. Milwaukee, which made the playoffs despite its third straight losing season, was swept in the first round by the Miami Heat.

In addition to Sloan, the Bucks also have reportedly met with Los Angeles Lakers assistant Steve Clifford.

If hired, good fit?

Deception
05-13-2013, 08:29 PM
Considering? They should be lucky if he considered them an option.

D-Leethal
05-13-2013, 08:31 PM
This just in: Jerry Sloan not considering the Bucks.

Sinattle
05-13-2013, 08:44 PM
I always laugh when these poverty *** teams think they can land a coach like Sloan or PJax.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
05-13-2013, 08:49 PM

This just in: Jerry Sloan not considering the Bucks.

I always laugh when these poverty *** teams think they can land a coach like Sloan or PJax.

HoopsHype ‏@hoopshype 7m
Update: Jerry Sloan confirms meeting with Bucks. http://po.st/gOAydV

WHODAT8o8
05-13-2013, 08:52 PM

Lmao exact same thing i was thinking

smith&wesson
05-13-2013, 09:01 PM
I can see why the bucks are considering Sloan. I dont see why Sloan is considering the bucks. No disrespect milwaukee fans,

Jennings and ellis are not exactly Sloan types. maybe if those two walk and the bucks decide to rebuild... that could make more sense i guess.

amos1er
05-13-2013, 09:10 PM
Looks like the owner of the Bucks is smarter than Jim Buss too.

BKLYNpigeon
05-13-2013, 09:29 PM

why not?

Sloan seems like an old school coach and a stand up guy. He was coaching in Utah for a Long time, I dont think thats a rich team and Jerry Sloan doesnt strike me as a person who does it for the Money.

Blitzbolt
05-13-2013, 09:30 PM
The nets should.....Never mind.

kdspurman
05-13-2013, 09:55 PM

I was getting ready to post something similar to what you responded to :laugh2: Thanks

bholly
05-13-2013, 10:13 PM
I don't really get this from the Bucks point of view, either. He doesn't really seem to fit their roster (at least based on his historical style - although I'm open to the possibility that was more driven by personnel), and they don't really have the assets to improve in a hurry - unless they're planning on just getting a bunch of second and third tier guys and having him try to make them overachieve into the playoffs each year.
They're going to need to get worse before they get better - are they really going to hire a 71 year old legend for a blow-up and rebuild?

BKLYNpigeon
05-13-2013, 10:20 PM
The Bucks should consider a new up and coming Assistant Coach.

look at how many of them are still in the playoffs.

Mark Jackson
Scott Brooks
Tom Thibodeau
Lionel Hollins
Frank Vogel
Eric Splostra (should he be included?)

Raps18-19 Champ
05-13-2013, 10:43 PM
Doubt it.

My money is on the Clippers (unless they are stupid to keep Vinny around)

Snakeyestx
05-14-2013, 12:14 PM
Doubt it.

My money is on the Clippers (unless they are stupid to keep Vinny around)

I never understand answers like this.

VDN got them to the playoffs and one of the best regular season records in Clippers history - you don't just bring him into the office one day and say "Well, thanks for getting us this far, your services will no longer be needed," instead you bring him in and ask "Okay Vinny, you got us this far, what position needs a change or tweaking to tip us over the top next season?"

DoMeFavors
05-14-2013, 12:18 PM
He is the best high profile coach that will ever coach in Milwakuee so its a good fit

Raps18-19 Champ
05-14-2013, 12:22 PM
I never understand answers like this.

VDN got them to the playoffs and one of the best regular season records in Clippers history - you don't just bring him into the office one day and say "Well, thanks for getting us this far, your services will no longer be needed," instead you bring him in and ask "Okay Vinny, you got us this far, what position needs a change or tweaking to tip us over the top next season?"

The fact that he's not good enough to realize the tweaks and changes needs to take them over the top next season. He's maxed out.

Snakeyestx
05-14-2013, 12:24 PM
The fact that he's not good enough to realize the tweaks and changes needs to take them over the top next season. He's maxed out.

By that logic, doesn't that sound a bit like Scott Brooks as well then?

Stinkyoutsider
05-14-2013, 01:15 PM
Its smart for the Bucks to go after him. Why not include one of the best available coaches in the search?

If I'm Sloan, I'm not looking to rebuild a team which is what the Bucks need to do. Ellis is walking this year and Jennings wants out (and might be a free agent too). Those 2 guys are the stars of the team so I honestly think the Bucks should look to hire a younger coach who can grow with the team.

I think Sloan should look at what Pat Riley did and move upstairs to run a club. He's an old school guy who can build the team to take on his characteristics and also mentor the young coach he hires. He would have serious control of the club?

Unless he's going to be like Pop in San Antonio, I would focus on promotion from the sidelines to the office, especially for a 71 year old who has the kind of resume Sloan has.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
05-16-2013, 11:25 AM
Sloan is from northern Illinois. Not far of a drive to Milwaukee. Milwaukee is small market like the Jazz. Less pressure on him. Bucks have tons of cap space to be tailored to Sloan.