PDA

View Full Version : Should The NBA Eliminate The "Hack A Shaq" Rule

Rivera
05-12-2013, 05:33 PM
Whrn the NBA gets og ether this offseason I'm sure this rule will come up in the discussions since its happening more this post season than ever. I'm not mad at popp for using it since he's the originator but I can't lie and say I finally have gotten annoyed when this happens and I want it gone cause it takes away from the flow of the game and it's not a natural basketball play even though it's allows for the "Hadley a shaq" to happen

Some question. When the offseason comes and the nba rules committe comes together would you eliminate this rule? Should the nba eliminate this rule?

Please provide thought with your answers

Cal827
05-12-2013, 05:35 PM
Nah, the guys hacked should learn how to hit a damn free throw once and while.

Guppyfighter
05-12-2013, 05:37 PM
No.

BigBlueCrew
05-12-2013, 05:48 PM
no, practice your free throws!

PhillyFaninLA
05-12-2013, 05:53 PM
So your saying that fouls should not be called late in a game? Hack a shaq isn't actually a rule its just refs following rules calling fouls

michael811
05-12-2013, 06:14 PM
there should be one rule throughout the game. I don't like that there is one rule for most of the game and then the rule changes with 2 minutes left in the game or half it should be uniform

LAKobeBryant
05-12-2013, 06:21 PM
No. That's like saying take out 3 point line because teams are playing small and shooting like 30 3s a game.

BirdIsTheWord
05-12-2013, 06:22 PM
Practice your damn free throws!

Lake_Show2416
05-12-2013, 06:29 PM
ya they should, its not a basketball play on the ball

alexander_37
05-12-2013, 06:48 PM
If you foul the same player more than 3 times in a row it should be 3 free throws.

Trueblue2
05-12-2013, 06:55 PM
If you foul the same player more than 3 times in a row it should be 3 free throws.

I could live with that

seikou8
05-12-2013, 07:03 PM
no, practice your free throws!

this

maddBat
05-12-2013, 07:04 PM
it would be rewarding those who cant shoot free throws. it does mess up the pace of the game but if u can find an advantage y not

barreleffact
05-12-2013, 09:10 PM
No. Guys need to learn basic things like FT shooting. With that being said, the sport is meant to be entertainment at that level. Hack-a-whoever is not entertaining.

My solution: implement a foul limit per quarter. Say after 10 fouls in a quarter it becomes 1 shot and possession. This way both sides win. The Defense can play hack-a-whoever 4 times and that person will shoot 2 and likely miss, yet the offense can score or miss and it won't matter after those 4 FT's thus the defense would be punished for continuing to destroy the flow of the game.

Raps18-19 Champ
05-12-2013, 09:25 PM
No.Fouling a bad FT shooter is taking advantage of your teams weakness.

lol, please
05-12-2013, 09:35 PM
^ That.

LAcowBOMBER
05-12-2013, 09:37 PM
I think the off the ball foul rule that exists in the last 2 minutes should exist for the whole game

justinnum1
05-12-2013, 09:40 PM
2 ways to eliminate it.

A- the team can choose who takes the foul shots
B- 2 shots plus possession of the ball

RipCity32
05-12-2013, 10:08 PM
Hell yeah get rid of it.

THE MTL
05-12-2013, 10:21 PM
No, people should learn how to shot free throws. And its not just the bigs anymore. These young guys at other positions coming into the league are shooting HORRIBLE too from the free throw line. This is basic basketball, one of the first things you learn, and it often gets neglected.

MarkieMark48
05-12-2013, 10:21 PM
Hell no, get rid of the 2-minute rule too, making free throws isn't asking too much from the best basketball players in the world

More-Than-Most
05-12-2013, 10:28 PM
No...If players cant hit free throws that is on them.

Swashcuff
05-12-2013, 10:32 PM
IMO it's too vague. What if you enforce a rule against it and teams try more innovate ways of fouling the player. Is it now based on the referees discretion whether or not that foul is intentional (hack a shack) or not. May sound silly but think of it.

dodie53
05-12-2013, 10:40 PM
it's a strategy.

mania03
05-12-2013, 10:41 PM
Yes. I dont wanna watch 20mins of FT shooting at the end of the game.

Sadds The Gr8
05-12-2013, 10:42 PM
before I was heavily on the "no, practice your FTs" side, but now I'm in the middle. Part of me feels like if you can't hit FT's it's your ****in fault, but another part of me feels like it's such a cheap glitch in the system because fouling is SUPPOSED to be a negative and there should be no advantages to intentionally fouling and not having to play defense. No other sport has a rule glitch like that, or if they do then they fix it...

I wouldn't be mad if they changed it or kept it, but the way people are complaining about it it seems like they're gonna change it, just like they changed the flopping rule after everyone complained last year

hornetsfansydne
05-12-2013, 10:49 PM
If you are fouled away from the play it should be a flagrant simple as that. It is not a play on the basketball and it should be penalised as such.

NJBASEBALL22
05-12-2013, 11:02 PM
If you are fouled away from the play it should be a flagrant simple as that. It is not a play on the basketball and it should be penalised as such.

That's crazy talk.

What about battling for position, running thru screens, over-the-backs, etc... all of those should be flagrants?

Allphakenny1
05-12-2013, 11:15 PM
before I was heavily on the "no, practice your FTs" side, but now I'm in the middle. Part of me feels like if you can't hit FT's it's your ****in fault, but another part of me feels like it's such a cheap glitch in the system because fouling is SUPPOSED to be a negative and there should be no advantages to intentionally fouling and not having to play defense. No other sport has a rule glitch like that, or if they do then they fix it...

I wouldn't be mad if they changed it or kept it, but the way people are complaining about it it seems like they're gonna change it, just like they changed the flopping rule after everyone complained last year

This is pretty much how I see it. Plus, I consider myself a hardcore basketball fan and the hack-a-whoever is really starting to bore me. As much as I could care less about the casual fan, they are needed to keep sports alive. This strategy cannot be attractive to casual fans and may end up hurting the game. So while I like the strategy, I voted to get rid of it.

hornetsfansydne
05-12-2013, 11:20 PM
That's crazy talk.

What about battling for position, running thru screens, over-the-backs, etc... all of those should be flagrants?

That is still involved with the play, not what i intended at all. What I meant was the intentional foul as the player is running down the court, like what happens most of the time during these hack-a-player strategies.

The NBA defines a flagrant foul as:
"A flagrant foul-penalty (1) is unnecessary contact committed by a player against an opponent. "
In my opinion, the hack-a-player is unnecessary contact and should be penalised with 2 shots and possession like it is under every other league in the world that I know of (International games, Euroleague and NBL for examples)

Matrix3132
05-12-2013, 11:21 PM
No...If players cant hit free throws that is on them.

It doesn't really have anything to do with free throws and who can or can't make them.

It's more that if the nba has a lame rule that is agonizing to watch and ruins the pace of the game, that is on them.

mngopher35
05-12-2013, 11:44 PM

I kind of agree with this. If there is an intentional foul of the ball maybe just let that team choose who takes the FT's (justin mentioned this earlier). I understand that people should learn to shoot FT's, but I want to watch basketball not andrew bogut going to the line over and over. I see both sides of the argument, I would have no problem if they changed the rule.

Hawkeye15
05-13-2013, 12:05 AM
Absolutely not. Either don't suck at FT's, or be part of the opposing coaches gameplan.

bigmac8675
05-13-2013, 01:10 AM
Yes, it really does ruin the game

girlsluvBeyonce
05-13-2013, 02:09 AM
maybe

DetroitBadBoy
05-13-2013, 03:10 AM
It really is a stupid technique to win, not everyone can be great at free throws. There are some physical and psychological aspects for some players that make it impossible to be as good as others. Hand size, strength, reflexes, psyche, and shooters touch all can affect a free throw.

If you can't beat the other team straight up without the hack-a-shaq, then you really don't deserve the win.

Kevj77
05-13-2013, 04:25 AM
How about if you foul someone away from the ball and the team that commits the foul is over the limit there is the option to take it our of bound or take FTs.

Even a bad FT shooter will usually make 1 FT, but if they take it out of bound they can have a chance to make a shot or get nothing.

knickfan33
05-13-2013, 04:56 AM
Whrn the NBA gets og ether this offseason I'm sure this rule will come up in the discussions since its happening more this post season than ever. I'm not mad at popp for using it since he's the originator but I can't lie and say I finally have gotten annoyed when this happens and I want it gone cause it takes away from the flow of the game and it's not a natural basketball play even though it's allows for the "Hadley a shaq" to happen

Some question. When the offseason comes and the nba rules committe comes together would you eliminate this rule? Should the nba eliminate this rule?

Please provide thought with your answers

LMAO... PSD BASKETBALL FORUM...ALWAYS GOOD FOR A LAUGH...

how would you get rid of it? how is it a rule?
its a strategy.. your already penalized for doing it, the guy gets two free shots, your player gets a foul, and your team gets a foul....
what about late in games and you have to foul? what are you supposed to allow a 90 percent free throw shooter to get the ball in his hands or your not allowed to foul...

if you think the NBA is ever going to "look at" the idea of chaning "hack a shaq" your a dwight howard fan on crack.

this may be one of the dumbest concepts in the history of psd forum stupidity.

Rivera
05-13-2013, 10:10 AM
Its not a rule persay but its more of a strategy and they could put a stop to it if they wish

At first i didnt mind it but to me its just gotten cheap and it just messes up the basketball game the flow and i hate that. I would do what they do in the last 2 minutes the entire game when you foul someone completley out of the play intentionally. 2 shots and the ball its not a natural basketball play

And to those who say make your FTs thats one way to stop it but it still messes up the flow

How about the other team bunkers down on defense and makes some stops instead of resorting to a cheap tactic that isnt a basketball play

Rivera
05-13-2013, 10:14 AM
LMAO... PSD BASKETBALL FORUM...ALWAYS GOOD FOR A LAUGH...

how would you get rid of it? how is it a rule?
its a strategy.. your already penalized for doing it, the guy gets two free shots, your player gets a foul, and your team gets a foul....
what about late in games and you have to foul? what are you supposed to allow a 90 percent free throw shooter to get the ball in his hands or your not allowed to foul...

if you think the NBA is ever going to "look at" the idea of chaning "hack a shaq" your a dwight howard fan on crack.

this may be one of the dumbest concepts in the history of psd forum stupidity.

Considering this was a topic of discussion fo hubie brown and mike tirico especially brown whos been in basketball his whole life compared to your opinion ill listen to a guy whos been in the nba over 20 years and been a head coach before you. I already provided solutions and if you think is dumb then dont post cause im not these other nba forum posters

Good day sir

Rivera
05-13-2013, 10:17 AM
IMO it's too vague. What if you enforce a rule against it and teams try more innovate ways of fouling the player. Is it now based on the referees discretion whether or not that foul is intentional (hack a shack) or not. May sound silly but think of it.

I kinda know what you mean its kind of like pop telling parker to guard bogut then when they battle for position you hack the crap out of him even though he may not have the ball

To me though for the most part i think it would be clear. Cause when you hack he same person each time down the court despite how innovative your fouling them doest the ref have to catch on to that eventually and warn th coach whos doing it?

GrumpyOldMan
05-13-2013, 11:25 AM
As a season ticket holder I vote yes. At the end of the day you not only want your team to win, but you want to be entertained. I dont know if they should go with the international rule which is pretty close to a flagrant 1 which awards the free throws and possession or if they should come up with their own rule something like allowing any player on the floor to take the free throws, but something needs to be done to deter this.
It's easy for people to say that players should learn to make freethrows, but it's just as easy for someone to say that players should learn to play defense.

Snakeyestx
05-13-2013, 11:59 AM

This isn't a half bad idea, but... it should be expanded a little bit.

If a player has been fouled more than 3 times deliberately within 60 seconds of the game clock it should be 3 free throws. The standard 2, and a technical FT with the tech called against the fouler (tech FT is done by the same player shooting the first 2).

When you pay the big bucks for good tickets, you get a little annoyed how fast a game grinds to a halt for this ridiculous tactic, and to be honest, after what happened to Omer Asik and the OKC Thunder, it illustrated how easily that tactic can fail.

JasonJohnHorn
05-13-2013, 12:41 PM
I don't find it entertaining, but sometimes basketball is a chess game. You make a move to put yourself in a better position, so I am fine with it. I think the player on the court should be able to hit free throws. If they can't, then that makes them a liability to their team, and they need to improve their game. Letting other players shoot their free-throws would be silly.

girlsluvBeyonce
05-13-2013, 10:40 PM
Hacking

Kevj77
05-13-2013, 11:32 PM
As a season ticket holder I vote yes. At the end of the day you not only want your team to win, but you want to be entertained. I dont know if they should go with the international rule which is pretty close to a flagrant 1 which awards the free throws and possession or if they should come up with their own rule something like allowing any player on the floor to take the free throws, but something needs to be done to deter this.
It's easy for people to say that players should learn to make freethrows, but it's just as easy for someone to say that players should learn to play defense.It is kinda like the clear path rule. Before the clear path rule players would intentionally foul if they could and make them earn it at the line. The problem is fans want to see those awesome breakaway dunks by people like Lebron not watch him shooting FTs instead. A breakaway foul is 2 shots and possession, but if your a purest it should only be 2 FTs.

goingfor28
05-13-2013, 11:49 PM
absolutely not. if guys dont like it, learn to make FTs. plain and simple

sunsfan88
05-14-2013, 12:46 AM
I wanna know if any Spurs fans voted yes.

girlsluvBeyonce
05-14-2013, 01:39 AM
Hacking