PDA

View Full Version : Did Kendrick Perkins mess up the Thunder franchise potential?

LTBaByyy
05-12-2013, 03:24 PM
First OKC trade Jeff Green who looks like a future All Star once Pierce retires and he gets starters minutes

They get Perkins who looked like a great even trade at first then when Ibaka emerged as the defensive stopper it looks like they don't even need Perkins (Play Collison at the 4 and Ibaka at 5)

They didn't want to amnesty Perkins so they end up not having extra money to offer James Harden which is turning out to be one of the worst trades of the last 10 years

If they amnestied Perkins they wouldn't have this problem that they are in now because Harden would be in a Thunder uniform

They could have had a line up of

Westbrook
Harden
Durant
Green
Ibaka

:facepalm:

They were all apart of the roster at the same time so that is a real what if situation

Kendrick Perkins messed everything up.

Bruno
05-12-2013, 03:25 PM
OKC management will go down as failures unless KD and company can win at least two.

if they fail to succeed on a large level, they'll be remembers for squandering jeff green and james harden.

Lakers + Giants
05-12-2013, 03:35 PM
It ain't easy keeping 5 great players after their rookie contracts. .

LTBaByyy
05-12-2013, 03:47 PM
It ain't easy keeping 5 great players after their rookie contracts. .

They didnt even try, they traded them before they even had the chance

kozelkid
05-12-2013, 03:47 PM
Trading Jeff Green wasn't the mistake; the mistake was the Perkins' extension.

6cadi6
05-12-2013, 03:48 PM
:eyebrow:

Greet
05-12-2013, 03:49 PM
I don't think that line-up would mesh together well at all.....

JEDean89
05-12-2013, 03:50 PM
I agree but they needed a center and a tough guy, KP does a good job at that despite sucking. If they get a real center though it's all over.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
05-12-2013, 03:53 PM
Trading Jeff Green wasn't the mistake; the mistake was the Perkins' extension.

Pretty much. I do think they lost that trade, but they would still be in fine shape had they just amnestied Perkins this past off-season which would've allowed them to keep Harden.

WHODAT8o8
05-12-2013, 03:56 PM

This. Everyone of them needs the ball in their hands to succeed except ibaka and maybe green.

Greet
05-12-2013, 03:59 PM
This. Everyone of them needs the ball in their hands to succeed except ibaka and maybe green.

Well from what I've watched from Green is that he does need the ball. His shooting has improved but he likes going to the rim, especially tries catching his defender off-guard.

LJEATON26
05-12-2013, 04:08 PM
The Perkins trade was a good trade as of last year. Perkins gave the Thunder the experience and toughness that they hadn't had before with Krystic. Then we played Miami last year and he shouldn't have played a minute but unfortunately Scott Brooks has a man crush on him and played him about 20 min a game. IMO they should have amnestied him after last season and resigned Harden. Hopefully they amnesty him this season and sign JJ Reddick and a center like Mohammed, Dalembert, Diaw or Hickson.

jerellh528
05-12-2013, 04:13 PM
First OKC trade Jeff Green who looks like a future All Star once Pierce retires and he gets starters minutes

They get Perkins who looked like a great even trade at first then when Ibaka emerged as the defensive stopper it looks like they don't even need Perkins (Play Collison at the 4 and Ibaka at 5)

They didn't want to amnesty Perkins so they end up not having extra money to offer James Harden which is turning out to be one of the worst trades of the last 10 years

If they amnestied Perkins they wouldn't have this problem that they are in now because Harden would be in a Thunder uniform

Westbrook
Harden
Durant
Green
Ibaka

They were all apart of the roster at the same time so that is a real what if situation

cool lineup but who would play center?

bagwell368
05-12-2013, 04:15 PM

Green is erratic, I would bet on him either way.

I went ballistic mostly on the Celts board and somewhat here on what a terrible deal OKC made. Perkins stunk that year and the next year, and sucked in the playoffs, and OKC way overpaid his contract.

No Perkins means Hardin is still in OKC, and they are cruising to a Finals berth this year.

I understand to some extent Celts fans going nuts against the deal since they had in mind the 2008-2010 Perk, but the post two bad knees Perk sucked. I could see it, too bad for OKC their genius GM got impatient for a banger. Perkins was nothing before KG, and he's been nothing since his knees. He's heavy, and guys his age don't recover 100% from bad knees.

So, no, blame the GM, not Perkins.

bagwell368
05-12-2013, 04:17 PM
OKC management will go down as failures unless KD and company can win at least two.

if they fail to succeed on a large level, they'll be remembers for squandering jeff green and james harden.

They had to get rid of Jeff Green since he's a totally inferior back-up version of KD. You can't afford to pay a back-up $10M a year. And Green isn't worth $10M a year as well.

Hangtime
05-12-2013, 04:18 PM
I don't think Green would flourish to his full potential in a line up that consisted of Harden, Westbrook and Durant.

And the reason that three headed monster worked so well was because you had Harden coming off the bench. Once you give him big money, he becomes a starter. It worked as long as Harden was willing to do that.

Also once you pay 4 of these guys big money, you would need vet guys who are willing to take less money for a chance at a title much like Miami. You still need some big physical guys in the paint with Ibaka for defense. Something they thought they would get with Perkins especially when you got a Memphis in your conference.

bagwell368
05-12-2013, 04:21 PM
The Perkins trade was a good trade as of last year. Perkins gave the Thunder the experience and toughness that they hadn't had before with Krystic.

No. You took on Robinson who played 4 games for OKC, then they cut him at the cost of $4.25M. You gave up a #1 pick, and you paid Perkins a ridiculous extentsion. Fail, fail, and fail. Oh yeah, you lost a very good offensive center in the deal, who hurt his knee in Boston after game 7 for them, and again later, AND still wholly outplayed Perkins in the regular season and playoffs.

No way OKC won that deal, then, or now.

DetroitBadBoy
05-12-2013, 04:27 PM
They screwed up bad by not keeping Harden.

justinnum1
05-12-2013, 04:33 PM
should have amnestied perkins and kept harden, that was the mistake.

smith&wesson
05-12-2013, 04:39 PM
Completely agree with the op.

they shoulda never traded green in the first place. 2nd they should have kept their money to re sign their own young players. Kendrick Perkins is not even a top 50 player in the nba. You potentially risk losing harden and you give up green for him?

Okc did a great job drafting but one terrible trade killed it for them. They are still good but would have been way better if they kept the core of westy, harden, green and Ibaka.

smith&wesson
05-12-2013, 04:40 PM
They screwed up bad by not keeping Harden.

should have amnestied perkins and kept harden, that was the mistake.

+1

Shkelqim
05-12-2013, 04:48 PM
I dont understand why Harden wouldnt be able to start at the 2. Westbrook, Harden and Durant. Thats scaryy

Rivera
05-12-2013, 04:48 PM
Russell westbrooks knee is the answer more than anything. Regardless they won 50+ games were #1 seed and was the favorites to make it out of the west and represent the west in the nba finals for the 2nd straight year. If westbrooks injury never hapened more than likely there representing the west

Perk hasnt been "a total loss" or "a total bum" like psd makes him out to be. He hasnt been the same defensivley since his injury but is still a more than solid low post defender provides great energy and provides the thunder with a toughness they didnt have before the jeff green trade. Also allowed ibaka to move to his natural pf position and perk provides some leadership and experience

You cant quantify intangibles. But stat people will make you believe everything i just posted is false becaue there cant be a number to quantify what i stated

LJEATON26
05-12-2013, 05:04 PM
No. You took on Robinson who played 4 games for OKC, then they cut him at the cost of $4.25M. You gave up a #1 pick, and you paid Perkins a ridiculous extentsion. Fail, fail, and fail. Oh yeah, you lost a very good offensive center in the deal, who hurt his knee in Boston after game 7 for them, and again later, AND still wholly outplayed Perkins in the regular season and playoffs.

No way OKC won that deal, then, or now.

Considering Perkins was the main vocal leader on the Thunder team that went to the finals how is it a loss. Perkins is a good option at center when the Thunder play some teams. D12 still says that Perkins is his toughest match up in the league. The problem now is that Perkins isn't even half the player he was in Boston before his injury. When he actually might have been worth his contract OkC gave him (10 pts, 8 rbs, 2 blks, 60% fg). Plus if we wouldn't have traded Green away then Harden never would have gotten a shot as the number 3 guy on the team.

JasonJohnHorn
05-12-2013, 05:07 PM
Jeff Green seems like a great guy, but "future all-star"? A guy who averages 15 points and 5 rebounds over the course of his first 5 years with little sign of improvement? I'm not sure I see that. And you have him at the 4 in your line-up, and he is not a strong enough rebounder to pull that off.

OCK did what was right for their money. Just because Ibaka is a good defender, doesn't mean they don't need Perkins. It is the reason they were able to man-handle the Lakers last year in the post season, they had two great defenders to put on Gasol and Bynum.

Perkins is good at what he does. He plays defence, doesn't demand the ball on offense, and does a decent job on the glass. He's paid a bit to much, yes, but it's not an absolutely crazy deal.

The Harden trade? Everybody knows why they did it. They simply could not afford three max-deal players, most especially if none of them can grab 10 boards a game. You need some rebounders on your team, and if you spend on your money on perimeter players you will be fawked.

And you can't even judge the Harden trade yet. Martin has done a solid job in Harden's former role, and he's doing it at a much more affordable rate. If he leaves in the offseason, it will dampen what the trade has done, but the Thunder also get a top-ten pick from Toronto this year from that trade, and though the draft is considered weak this year, the way OCK has been drafting over the last 6 or 7 years indicates that they can make the most out of this pick. They should be able to get get a rotation player at least out of this, not to mention the fact that Lamb could still very well develop into a solid SG.

There are other choices that OCK made that have hurt them more, but on the whole their GM is doing a great job. I mean, they could have had Kevin Love instead of Westbrook. They passed up on Taj Gibson. I mean, they could have had a core of Curry, Durant and Love instead of Westbrook Durant and Harden. I think that group of guys would have had great chemistry, but also, the GM did manage to pick up all-star calibre player in each instance. They also traded Bledsoe.

No GM hits a home run everytime, but the GM working in OKC right now, has done a pretty good job.

LJEATON26
05-12-2013, 05:14 PM
Considering Perkins was the main vocal leader on the Thunder team that went to the finals how is it a loss. Perkins is a good option at center when the Thunder play some teams. D12 still says that Perkins is his toughest match up in the league. The problem now is that Perkins isn't even half the player he was in Boston before his injury. When he actually might have been worth his contract OkC gave him (10 pts, 8 rbs, 2 blks, 60% fg). Plus if we wouldn't have traded Green away then Harden never would have gotten a shot as the number 3 guy on the team.

To add to this, the biggest bust of Presti's was taking Cole Aldriche over Larry Sanders in the 2010 draft. If they could have had him being groomed behind Perkins the could have amnestied Perkins, resigned Harden and still had a starting line up of Westbrook, Sepholosha, Durant, Ibaka and Sanders with Harden, Collison and Jackson coming off the bench.

SwatTeam
05-12-2013, 05:29 PM
No, Sam Presti messed up the Thunder's franchise potential.

LJEATON26
05-12-2013, 05:34 PM
No, Sam Presti messed up the Thunder's franchise potential.

This team is still the top team in the Western conference while winning 60 games. Also their core is locked up to extended contracts and between 23 and 25. If thats a messed up potential for a franchise I bet about 29 other teams would take it.

numba1CHANGsta
05-12-2013, 05:43 PM
The Thunder messed up when they didnt trade Harden/Ibaka/Perkins to the Magic for Dwight

Westbook
Sefolosha
Durant
FA
Dwight

dynasty right there

bagwell368
05-12-2013, 06:09 PM
Completely agree with the op.

they shoulda never traded green in the first place.

How do you figure? Durant is better at everything than Green. When Durant is on the floor, where is Green going to play? He can handle being a #4 3-5 minutes a game, not as a regular. He's not starting over Durant ever, and he's lacking footspeed to be able to handle most #2's. There WAS NO ROOM FOR HIM and THERE WAS NO MONEY FOR HIM.

bagwell368
05-12-2013, 06:12 PM
The Thunder messed up when they didnt trade Harden/Ibaka/Perkins to the Magic for Dwight

Westbook
Sefolosha
Durant
FA
Dwight

dynasty right there

Back then some might have pulled off such a deal, but OKC would have been screwed if they had (forgetting they let Harden go that is). Howard is an emotional pygmy. I'm not wagering anything on him.

MonroeFAN
05-12-2013, 06:48 PM
Jeff Green kind of sucks. I don't see him being a regular contributor on a good basketball team. Harden, remains to be seen. Seriously, only 1 team wins a championship every year, and they're going up against a super team.

Not sure what people are expecting. They aren't anything without this front office.

BALLER R
05-12-2013, 06:53 PM
Also Ibaka is getting exposed during this round of the playoffs. He's not that good. I know it's easier said than done but I always thought they should of kept Harden. Cause Harden and Durant are good distributors and I always questioned Westbrook decision making. Don't know how many people agree but the smart thing would of been to keep Harden and trade westbrook to fill out your roster.

With Harden and Durant you don't need a great point guard. Both those guys can run the offense majority of the time anyways. Then I would of traded Westbrook for a legit big man. OKC has no offensive post threat. That's the biggest problem. I've said it since their series against the Heat.

Dade County
05-12-2013, 07:02 PM
They should have amnesty perkins and paid Harden.

Hopefully they can get Howard in the off season, by amnesty perkins, trading Ibaka, and not re-signing martian.

BALLER R
05-12-2013, 07:20 PM

Hopefully they can get Howard in the off season, by amnesty perkins, trading Ibaka, and not re-signing martian.

Martian huh? I think you would have to keep him don't ya think.

koreancabbage
05-12-2013, 07:29 PM
Jeff Green seems like a great guy, but "future all-star"? A guy who averages 15 points and 5 rebounds over the course of his first 5 years with little sign of improvement? I'm not sure I see that. And you have him at the 4 in your line-up, and he is not a strong enough rebounder to pull that off.

well to be honest, he did have that freak health problem. he basically took a year off from developing. 15 points and 5 rebounds is solid from the 3. And he's put up monster numbers albeit erractic but the promise is there.

85BearsDefense
05-12-2013, 07:40 PM
Like I said earlier they should have traded for Dwight. Harden for Dwight, no way Magic turn that down.

zn23
05-12-2013, 07:54 PM
Yep, they certainly did.

If you guys haven't noticed, Perkins is having a historically bad playoff run....

PER of -0.3, -0.4 WS....

It's really gotten to the point where the Thunder can not play him... He can't defend Marc Gasol, he can't score, he's a turnover machine.

Perkins had one good playoff series against Dwight Howard, and that was it for him. It did not warrant giving away a good young player in Jeff Green.

bagwell368
05-12-2013, 08:12 PM
well to be honest, he did have that freak health problem. he basically took a year off from developing. 15 points and 5 rebounds is solid from the 3. And he's put up monster numbers albeit erractic but the promise is there.

He's too passive. Doesn't rebound well enough. He's not a great shooter. Might be good enough to start in the NBA, but I can't see how he's ever elite.

MagicBucsSox
05-12-2013, 08:12 PM
Didn't they almost have Tyson chandler too?

bagwell368
05-12-2013, 08:14 PM
Perkins had one good playoff series against Dwight Howard, and that was it for him. It did not warrant giving away a good young player in Jeff Green.

He was better than that. 2008-2010 he was good, but, then again KG made him.

OKC had to get rid of Green and needed a decent big, I'm fairly sure Perkins is the best offer they got because Green isn't elite, nor near elite (then or now).

BKLYNpigeon
05-12-2013, 08:18 PM
They didnt even try, they traded them before they even had the chance

how do you know?

Im pretty sure Presti called their agents to see how much it would cost to resign Harden or Green. Presti has done everything he could have done to make this the best team year in and out while managing a salary cap.

blastmasta26
05-12-2013, 08:18 PM
I never understood why they didn't amnesty Perkins. I don't know if it was that simple financially, but amnestying Perkins in favor of keeping Harden seems like an easy decision to me. Even if you go into the luxury tax.

BKLYNpigeon
05-12-2013, 08:30 PM
I never understood why they didn't amnesty Perkins. I don't know if it was that simple financially, but amnestying Perkins in favor of keeping Harden seems like an easy decision to me. Even if you go into the luxury tax.

easy for you to say as a Knicks fan. This is OKC I dont think they have the TV deal or money to sustain that team. I dont think we would be having this conversation of Westbrook was healthy. OKC was just unlucky.

lets see how their draft picks and Lamb pans out before making bold statements.

Baller1
05-12-2013, 08:34 PM
Presti went from a genius to an absolute dipshit in a matter of one year.

Trading Harden at the time that he did could go down as one of the all-time stupid *** trades.

BKLYNpigeon
05-12-2013, 08:44 PM
Presti went from a genius to an absolute dipshit in a matter of one year.

Trading Harden at the time that he did could go down as one of the all-time stupid *** trades.

probably, but like I said, we wouldnt be haveing this conversation if Westbrook wasnt injured.

I think the smart thing to do was to keep Harden for the remainder of the season and if they couldnt resign him they could have worked out a sign and trade deal, but getting less in return.

barreleffact
05-12-2013, 08:59 PM
So far, everyone has blamed no one, the GM, or Perkins. Out of these 3 options I actually thing the GM did a tremendous job and how do we know the reason for keeping WB vs Harden wasn't because of chemistry? KD may have been more favorable toward WB.

Also, no one has yet blamed the biggest culprit of sorts, HARDEN! He could have taken 4 million less. Every other star sacrificed money except him, so the consensus was to trade him. If he wanted to win with that group that sacrifice after Agent fees and taxes would have been much less.

Bruno
05-12-2013, 09:24 PM
probably, but like I said, we wouldnt be haveing this conversation if Westbrook wasnt injured.

I think the smart thing to do was to keep Harden for the remainder of the season and if they couldnt resign him they could have worked out a sign and trade deal, but getting less in return.

i think we would and have been. it's been a point of discussion all season even before the injury.

Bruno
05-12-2013, 09:27 PM
They had to get rid of Jeff Green since he's a totally inferior back-up version of KD. You can't afford to pay a back-up $10M a year. And Green isn't worth $10M a year as well.

i don't think he's worth ten million a year either. but he wasn't a backup he started next to Durant every game 30 games into his rookie season. they could have waited and shipped green and harden together for an elite center. perkins isn't a cheap contract either.

ChiSox219
05-12-2013, 09:37 PM
So far, everyone has blamed no one, the GM, or Perkins. Out of these 3 options I actually thing the GM did a tremendous job and how do we know the reason for keeping WB vs Harden wasn't because of chemistry? KD may have been more favorable toward WB.

Also, no one has yet blamed the biggest culprit of sorts, HARDEN! He could have taken 4 million less. Every other star sacrificed money except him, so the consensus was to trade him. If he wanted to win with that group that sacrifice after Agent fees and taxes would have been much less.

It wasn't $4 million less, it was $26 million less.

netsgiantsyanks
05-12-2013, 09:51 PM
the tyson chandler trade would have did wonders.

THE MTL
05-12-2013, 09:53 PM

Westbrook
Harden
Durant
Green
Ibaka

Thunder couldnt sustain such a team. That whole starting five blows your entire salary cap.

In my opinion, Jeff Green doesnt look like a future allstar. He just looks like a pretty good role player. If Jeff Green is the star of the team, that team aint going no where. Thats future tense as well.

HouRealCoach
05-12-2013, 10:09 PM

Durant & Westbrook were the clear leaders, Harden would have eventually moved to the starting position and Green could have been a damn good 6th man, have Ibaka work with Hakeem eventually and there's a low post presence on both ends and you have a DYNASTY

Swashcuff
05-12-2013, 10:25 PM
Hindsight is a helluva thing isn't it? Who they should have traded? Who the should have drafted? Who they should have amnestied etc

Green as a starting PF was a horrible move defensively for OKC as he was killed on that end on a regular basis. Decent wing defender not good at all at defending the big boys down low. Damn near everyone thought coming into the draft that Aldrich would have been better than Sanders and they already had Ibaka in the fold wouldn't Sanders be a bit redundant? Should they have amnestied Perk? IMO yes but who is to say OKC didn't weigh that option. Amnesty Perk max Harden and then what? Where do you go from there? This isn't Texas, Florida or Washington where you can take a pay cut and still make more than someone making the max elsewhere because you don't pay income taxes. You'd have to get Ibaka, Harden, KD and Westy to all take potential pay cuts in order to build an ideal contender supporting cast.

No matter what the Thunder did they'd be considered in the wrong by some and we'd be having threads like these.

Swashcuff
05-12-2013, 10:27 PM
Durant & Westbrook were the clear leaders, Harden would have eventually moved to the starting position and Green could have been a damn good 6th man, have Ibaka work with Hakeem eventually and there's a low post presence on both ends and you have a DYNASTY

Sounds great doesn't it? No lets stop thinking in the world of 2K and start thinking in the real world. 1. How are you going to pay all those players? 2. How is Ibaka working Hakeem going to make him a low post presence?

HouRealCoach
05-12-2013, 10:30 PM
Sounds great doesn't it? No lets stop thinking in the world of 2K and start thinking in the real world. 1. How are you going to pay all those players? 2. How is Ibaka working Hakeem going to make him a low post presence?

Yeah it does sound great lol

1. With Harden as a 4th option, he doesn't have THAT much room to grow & doesn't demand a max like he did last year. Jeff Green wouldn't demand one either.

2. Hakeem Olajuwon has made Yao, Kobe, LeBron, Amare, & Dwight much better in the post over the years. Might not make him a presence but he would teach him a move or two to go along with a midrange jumpshot.

waveycrockett
05-12-2013, 10:34 PM
He really did. It was a worse trade than the Harden deal for the simple fact that Perkins straight up sucks and they paid him the same money Jeff Green would have gotten anyway. At least with Harden they got back young players with potential plus Kevin Martin.

dodie53
05-12-2013, 10:45 PM
what if the thunder didn't give up Green and Harden
then
traded westbrooke and ibaka for dwight?

RaiderLakersA's
05-12-2013, 10:51 PM
Hindsight is a helluva thing isn't it? Who they should have traded? Who the should have drafted? Who they should have amnestied etc

Green as a starting PF was a horrible move defensively for OKC as he was killed on that end on a regular basis. Decent wing defender not good at all at defending the big boys down low. Damn near everyone thought coming into the draft that Aldrich would have been better than Sanders and they already had Ibaka in the fold wouldn't Sanders be a bit redundant? Should they have amnestied Perk? IMO yes but who is to say OKC didn't weigh that option. Amnesty Perk max Harden and then what? Where do you go from there? This isn't Texas, Florida or Washington where you can take a pay cut and still make more than someone making the max elsewhere because you don't pay income taxes. You'd have to get Ibaka, Harden, KD and Westy to all take potential pay cuts in order to build an ideal contender supporting cast.

No matter what the Thunder did they'd be considered in the wrong by some and we'd be having threads like these.

Winner.

This was going to be Catch 22 for OKC no matter what. It's how the game is designed. It is what constitutes evolution in the NBA. Teams aren't meant to hoard talent without either the players or the team tacting contrary to their own best interests and taking a huge hit as a result. Since teams can't dole out max deals for everyone, someone has to leave. In doing so, the talent is then disseminated to other teams, promoting competitive balance throughout the league and hopefully raising the financial fortunes of all teams.

OKCs only mistake is that they are operating in an era where truly great centers are nearly impossible to find. I think they'll solve that problem in the offseason.

smith&wesson
05-12-2013, 11:02 PM
How do you figure? Durant is better at everything than Green. When Durant is on the floor, where is Green going to play? He can handle being a #4 3-5 minutes a game, not as a regular. He's not starting over Durant ever, and he's lacking footspeed to be able to handle most #2's. There WAS NO ROOM FOR HIM and THERE WAS NO MONEY FOR HIM.

A few options here.

1. Trade green for picks, younger players on rookie contracts.
2. Let him walk and spend the money on harden instead.

If you look at what they did now in hindsight they essentially lost harden and green for Perkins. It's probably the dumbest move any team has done in a long time. Considering the talent level of the two players they gave up.

LTBaByyy
05-12-2013, 11:26 PM
A few options here.

1. Trade green for picks, younger players on rookie contracts.
2. Let him walk and spend the money on harden instead.

If you look at what they did now in hindsight they essentially lost harden and green for Perkins. It's probably the dumbest move any team has done in a long time. Considering the talent level of the two players they gave up.

That paragraph is exactly what I was trying to say

Swashcuff
05-13-2013, 08:31 AM
Yeah it does sound great lol

1. With Harden as a 4th option, he doesn't have THAT much room to grow & doesn't demand a max like he did last year. Jeff Green wouldn't demand one either.

2. Hakeem Olajuwon has made Yao, Kobe, LeBron, Amare, & Dwight much better in the post over the years. Might not make him a presence but he would teach him a move or two to go along with a midrange jumpshot.

1. Harden would NEVER have been a 4th option. His talent was known even as a rookie when Tyreke had that amazing season the Thunder FO said eh thought he'd be better, I for one thought they were on crack. I was wrong. They knew his worth, he knew his worth and you can be damn skippy other teams did as well. Harden would have demanded the max regardless. Harden 4th option? :laugh:

You're also not considering the FACT that Green had heart surgery that effectively cost him to miss all of last season. He would not have played either way common sense tells us that. That would have been enough for Harden to still win the 6MOY while displaying All NBA calibre potential.

2. What does Serge have in common with all those players offensively? Every single one of those players were much more skilled/developed offensively than Serge is. Simply working with Hakeem isn't going to make you a post presence when you've never shown any sort of skill in that area in your career, not with your back to the basket, not passing, not face up, not even crashing the offensive glass or getting good positioning. It's the major reason why he struggles so much without Westbrook. He needs players to take the attention away from him allowing him easier lanes to the hoop to be effective. He's not a post type player and quite frankly may never be.

hugepatsfan
05-13-2013, 10:03 AM
Green was never going to be too successful in OKC. He's a SF. Durant's a SF. Green may be 6'9", but he doesn't rebound enough to be a PF for extended minutes. He's a very good young player and I think he can be a solid #3 on a good team based on what he showed at the tail end of this season. I can see him being a yearly 18/5/3 player with good defense and solid shooting percentages. But he was never going to reach that potential in OKC. I thought the Perkins trade made sense for them at the time even though BOS was getting the better package of pieces because Perk fit exactly what OKC needed. The injury concerns with him (and they were there at the time he was traded) ended up being a bigger issue than people expected. If you remember, he only played a few games for BOS the year he got traded after coming off that Finals injury. He didn't look good, but people just assumed it was rust and he would be back to form eventually. Turns out it was a sign of things to come. Perk is toast now.

tr3ymill3r
05-13-2013, 10:26 AM
I blame it on Ibaka. Perkins didn't ask to be traded away from a championship Celtics team, and it's taken Green some time to emerge and show us this potential. The Thunder decided to pay Ibaka opposed to Harden. Harden, with one season in Houston proved to be capable of being The Man. Meanwhile, Ibaka is playing and putting up similar numbers when the Thunder had Westbrook, Harden and Durant all healthy. Serge needed to be the second option since Westbrook went down, yet it's been Martin off the bench, and if he's off and Durant doesn't drop 60+ the Thunder lose.

blahblahyoutoo
05-13-2013, 10:48 AM
perkins bricks 3 foot jumpers/flip shots/lay ups/whatever you want to call them.
he has the temper of a spoiled toddler and throws tantrums when he gets fouls called on him.
and he can't do push ups.

zn23
05-13-2013, 12:14 PM
He was better than that. 2008-2010 he was good, but, then again KG made him.

OKC had to get rid of Green and needed a decent big, I'm fairly sure Perkins is the best offer they got because Green isn't elite, nor near elite (then or now).

I never said he was elite, or going to be. He has potential to be a solid role player and maybe an all-star.

Trading for Perkins was clearly a huge mistake. Because, like you said, Perkins benefited from playing around great players and under a great system. Since he's been at OKC he hasn't really done anything. He's a huge liability offensively and defensively he hasn't been able to produce at the same level as he did in Boston.

It doesn't help that he's getting paid $8 M either. If the Thunder were smart they would amnesty him after the season cause they simply can not play him anymore. Too ineffective.

Blitzbolt
05-13-2013, 02:17 PM
Alot of people are mad at Ibaka but look at what he has to do.

Defend ZBO and Gasol
Block shots
and Score 20 points vs the best defense in the NBA.
And Rebound on both ends vs ZBO or Gasol.

The Issue is Perkins the guy is garbage he is to short for Centers to slow for PFs its killing Ibaka plus he is the worst on offense.You add Collinson foul trouble plus Durant playing the 4th alot its pretty much IBAKA by himself down low.

So don't ''blame'' Ibaka for being the only good big in the thunder is not his fault that he has to do 3x the work others are doing.

LJEATON26
05-13-2013, 10:02 PM

Why in the hell would they want to trade ibaka? He's only 23, a 2 time all nba team member, the best shot blocker in the nba and he's developing a decent offensive game.

MrfadeawayJB
05-14-2013, 02:34 AM
They should amnesty Perkins and give the money he was making to Gortat or Pekovic :speechless:

zn23
05-14-2013, 03:07 AM
Perkins has easily been the worst player in the playoffs this year...

Kevj77
05-14-2013, 03:07 AM
Green is irrelevant. Trading Harden will haught them, but that was a move made by ownership. With the new luxury tax aimed at teams like the Lakers , OKC was a victim. In the future no team without a huge local TV deal would be able to afford three max players and someone like Ibaka. That is like 75 million between 4 players.

Thunder were a victim of the new CBA.

tht_one_guy
05-14-2013, 09:07 AM
nah the thing i always thought was their biggest mistake was that they rescinded that Tyson Chandler trade with New Orleans could you of seen tht last year in the finals it would of been great i feel that has been their biggest mistake even bigger than the Harden trade

Hangtime
05-14-2013, 09:38 AM
May as well use that amnesty. Why save it now?

The Best Around
05-14-2013, 01:57 PM
It's their fault for not wanting to amnesty Perkins. Just have a lineup of Westbrook Harden Durant Ibaka and a minimum center.

Super.
05-14-2013, 02:04 PM
Well from what I've watched from Green is that he does need the ball. His shooting has improved but he likes going to the rim, especially tries catching his defender off-guard.

Green doesn't need the ball, he's a good 3 point shooter, and only had the ball so much this season because he had to

Chitownhero1992
05-14-2013, 02:16 PM
I've always questioned that trade between the Celtics and Thunder.

Thought keeping Jeff Green was the better option. Perhaps money issues would've arose?

But maybe not they could've been Westbrook/Harden/Green/Durant/Ibaka...Green/Durant each can play the 3 or 4. Ibaka covers 5's already so it wouldn't have mattered much.

DillyDill
05-14-2013, 03:13 PM
Yea absoluely perk screwed everything and this is coming from a laker fan. The potential that team possessed was crazzzzzyyy

dee279
05-14-2013, 03:35 PM
Um how is it Perkins fault? He didnt trade for himself. Its the managements fault. They knew what Perkins was. If they expected him to become some shutdown the paint center, then they're straight crazy. Also, Having him and Ibaka in the inside is no offense or post game.

still1ballin
05-14-2013, 04:20 PM
Do the LT

:dance:

lkingratedr
05-14-2013, 04:48 PM
The thunder screwed up more than that anyone else remember when they traded for Tyson Chandler only to void the trade the next day ... They could have had their defensive center for the future

Westbrook
Harden
Kd
Ibaka
Chandler

Green of bench

sunsfan88
09-24-2013, 09:42 PM
Um how is it Perkins fault? He didnt trade for himself. Its the managements fault. They knew what Perkins was. If they expected him to become some shutdown the paint center, then they're straight crazy. Also, Having him and Ibaka in the inside is no offense or post game.

Yea this. Presti traded for Perkins, it should be his fault if anyones.

bagwell368
09-24-2013, 09:55 PM
I was here, OKC forum, Celt forum calling the deal a disaster for OKC when it went down. Perkins was a product of playing next to KG on D, and next to 3 HOF'ers on O, he always had awful hands, and the knees totally put the tombstone on his career.

I watched almost every minute of his playoffs that first year, what a great young team, and he played at best 3 good quarters in all those games.

Pity.

DallasTrilla23
09-24-2013, 10:42 PM
The thunder should of traded for Tyson Chandler when they had the chance.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
09-24-2013, 10:57 PM
The thunder should of traded for Tyson Chandler when they had the chance.

The only time they really could was when they got him but it was voided.

shep33
09-24-2013, 11:09 PM
OKC's front office messed that up

carlthack
09-24-2013, 11:27 PM

Westbrook
Harden
Durant
Green
Ibaka

Wasnt that the same line-up that got bounced in the 1st round in 2010? Granted they were younger then.

Chronz
09-24-2013, 11:33 PM
Hes the reason they made the finals

MrfadeawayJB
09-24-2013, 11:33 PM
Perkins was always overrated, he just looked good playing defense next to kg

shep33
09-24-2013, 11:46 PM
The Harden trade was horrid. They could've amnestied Perkins and played smaller and faster with Ibaka and Collison up front.

JasonJohnHorn
09-24-2013, 11:48 PM
Perk was a solid pick up. It's the Harden deal that diluted their potential.

As for Green... I don't see the "all star potential". I've been hearing it for years, but the bottom line is: He wouldn't be starting for half the teams in the league.

KB24PG16
09-24-2013, 11:53 PM
okc ****ed up for sure

bagwell368
09-25-2013, 09:08 AM
Hes the reason they made the finals

Wait, what?

You are saying Perkins is the reason they got to the Finals? Well if putting up 4.7/6.2/0.7 with turnstyle D, poor FG%, and a few hard fouls per 25.9 MP did the trick... well the 3 series leading up the Finals they were 4-0, 4-1, 4-2. Besides it's not a matter of Perkins vs nobody to put in the paint, who else could they have paid $7.123M to play for them instead (going back to the off season after the deal with the Celts) and what would they have gotten, and unless Mr. X was injured I can't see them playing any worse than Perkins, and likely better. And if they went for a one year deal they might still have the beard on board, which might not have gotten them a visit to the Finals, but instead likely 2-4 more.

Chronz
09-25-2013, 10:00 AM
Wait, what?

You are saying Perkins is the reason they got to the Finals? Well if putting up 4.7/6.2/0.7 with turnstyle D, poor FG%, and a few hard fouls per 25.9 MP did the trick... well the 3 series leading up the Finals they were 4-0, 4-1, 4-2. Besides it's not a matter of Perkins vs nobody to put in the paint, who else could they have paid $7.123M to play for them instead (going back to the off season after the deal with the Celts) and what would they have gotten, and unless Mr. X was injured I can't see them playing any worse than Perkins, and likely better. And if they went for a one year deal they might still have the beard on board, which might not have gotten them a visit to the Finals, but instead likely 2-4 more.

They would have lost to the Lakers if not for him. Boy locked up Bynum better than anyone Ive ever seen.

ddt
09-25-2013, 02:18 PM
Imagine with Green still on OKC. They'd be one of the best. Perk slows them down. and the biggest what if, will KG, Pierce and Allen still be on the celtics if perk wasnt traded.

bagwell368
09-25-2013, 10:04 PM
Imagine with Green still on OKC. They'd be one of the best. Perk slows them down. and the biggest what if, will KG, Pierce and Allen still be on the celtics if perk wasnt traded.

Not so much...

Green is a SF, and he'd be playing behind the 2nd best SF in the NBA, and potentially a top 7 SF all time, a player that is better than Green in every way. Green might be OK for a few minutes at PF against small PF's, but you're talking an 18 MPG player getting $6-7-8-9M? No way he makes sense to keep, which is why he was dealt.

Perk was dealt because he wanted to get a bigger contract than he could get from the Celts, and Ainge wasn't going to fork it over even if he could to a big, heavy, slow guy with bum knees (he did after all only play 12 games for the Celts through the 3rd week of February). The deal was an also an excuse to get rid of Nate, who was giving them little at a very high price, and a chance to get a mobile, good passing Euro big to match with the O'Neill's. I find it amazing that anyone thinks that team would have won if Perk stayed. Perk played the worst of the 3 Centers, and he played if anything worse for OKC. Throwing Krstic into the mix, the Celts played their best offensive ball all season his first 8 games before he hurt his knee, he also played much better than Perk did that year.

The Celts run with that group was over, and there was no chance for further titles, so no on KG and Pierce. Allen was upset by being included in traded talks two years in a row, and he also wanted to win another ring - which is proven by the fact he turned down more money from the Celts, along with a no trade to go to Miami.

EL_MACHETE
09-26-2013, 06:55 PM
I honestly think it was a good move at first..Now I hate it A LOT!

I still wish they can try to develop Perry Jones and move him to center. He just needs to add on some muscle and gain some confidence in himself

bagwell368
09-26-2013, 09:03 PM
They would have lost to the Lakers if not for him. Boy locked up Bynum better than anyone Ive ever seen.

I think you can only say that with looking at the OKC roster minus Perk, and nobody as a substitute.

Remember, not only did OKC screw up by dealing a 1st (which turned out to be a bust, but they didn't know it then), they took Nate from the Celts, and then CUT him costing them $4.5M for nothing, and paid Perkins an insane $33.5M for 4 years.

All OKC had to do is let Krstic walk, and find a taker for Green and his quite reasonable ~$3.5M contract, and include that dough they spent on Nate, and also had the 1st to deal elsewhere, and I'm quite sure OKC could have come up with a more capable Center than Perkins to beat LAL in that Series.

Chronz
09-26-2013, 09:07 PM
I'm half joking but he does have one identifiable skill, he bodies up post centers better than anyone. If Dwight returns to form that could still be valuable