PDA

View Full Version : Can a jump shooting team win a title?

Trinidad
05-11-2013, 02:52 AM
I've been thinking to myself. The only jump shooting teams I can name that won titles were Detroit and Dallas. And even then they could never consistently compete. Let along win more titles.

The Bulls of the 90s. The Rockets of the 90s. The Lakers, Spurs and Heat of the 2000s have not been jump shooting teams.

These teams drive and post up. They don't rely on shooting.

With adjustments that can be made over a 7 game series it's hard to get open looks by the time game 3 rolls around.

Then there is the fact that over 4 series' a team could go cold.

Layups, floaters, dunks, hooks, up and unders, free throws, etc. are old reliable.

I'm watching a young up and coming team like the Warriors that can't dominate an old and past their best Spurs. Think about it. The Spurs haven't been the Spurs in 5 years, but they compete almost every year because driving and posting up is a lost art.

That's why the Heat are so dangerous. LeBron, Wade and Bosh can post and drive and they are young. It's why they will probably win again this year.

HYFR
05-11-2013, 03:00 AM
Well it's a jump shooting league now. Having effective 3 pt shooters is priceless. Who but a few teams really dump it down low for there offense anymore?

Trinidad
05-11-2013, 03:03 AM
Well it's a jump shooting league now. Having effective 3 pt shooters is priceless. Who but a few teams really dump it down low for there offense anymore?

The Spurs, Grizzlies, Pacers and Heat do.

Imagine this. Let's say only a few NFL teams could pass the ball well (not true). It's still what wins championships.

In the NBA few teams can drive and post up well. But they are still the teams that wins rings.

NYKalltheway
05-11-2013, 03:14 AM
didn't Dallas win in 2011?

Trinidad
05-11-2013, 03:17 AM
didn't Dallas win in 2011?

Yes and another jump shooting team did it. Detroit did it too. 2 teams in 20 years is not a good rate.

NYKalltheway
05-11-2013, 03:19 AM
All contenders need to be versatile. You can't rely on one type of offense to win. Even those teams, didn't score all their points with one method...

tredigs
05-11-2013, 03:34 AM
Miami was #8 in points-in-paint last year. OKC 12th.

When Dallas won they were 29th, Miami 26th.

When LA won the year before they were 10th.

Boston was 19th their title year.

The Spurs were 14th in 07.

Heat were #1 with Shaq.

Points from 3 pointers?

Heat were #3 this season.

Dallas was 7th.

Lakers were 12th.

Boston 11th.

San Antonio 6th.

Miami 12th.

In short, how good are your shooters? How good's your D?

KniCks4LiFe
05-11-2013, 03:58 AM
they continue to prove him wrong and yet he still keeps going.

Not to mention all the runner ups who went to NBA Finals.

kobe4thewinbang
05-11-2013, 05:16 AM
Sometimes the stars align like they did for Dallas, including magnificent play by Dirk Nowitzki, but overall, the answer is no. A team needs defense and a post presence when the jump shot isn't falling. Live or die by the 3 just doesn't cut it in the Finals.

mvb815
05-11-2013, 08:41 AM
i'd say yes as long as their isn't another team with a dominate paint presence, but LeBron himself brings that quality to a team

LJEATON26
05-11-2013, 10:22 AM
Yes they can Miami didn't beat OkC last year with dominating the paint. Lebron drove a lot but usually dished it out and players like Miller (7-8 from three in game 5) and Chalmers stepped up and kicked our ***.

Trinidad
05-11-2013, 01:08 PM
So why is that almost every team that wins a title is built on post ups and drives. Magic Johnson said a jump shooting team can't win a title.

Avenged
05-11-2013, 01:10 PM
As long as they can defend.

Trinidad
05-11-2013, 01:10 PM
Yes they can Miami didn't beat OkC last year with dominating the paint. Lebron drove a lot but usually dished it out and players like Miller (7-8 from three in game 5) and Chalmers stepped up and kicked our ***.

Last year I saw LeBron repeatedly drive to the basket. And he relentlessly let Mario Chalmers dribble the ball up the court and then hammered away in the post. When Mike Miller hit all those 3's the Heat were averaging 125 points per 100 possessions when LeBron posted up.

OceanSpray
05-11-2013, 01:18 PM
You can never be consistent day after day by shooting. With layups and dunks, you have assured points. I think it's possible but only if they change the rules.

Trinidad
05-11-2013, 01:22 PM
You can never be consistent day after day by shooting. With layups and dunks, you have assured points. I think it's possible but only if they change the rules.

Agree. You can never get consistent open jumpers without a big posting up and kicking. Or a big coming out for a pick and roll. Or a small driving and kicking.

You can't just line up and go 1 on 1 and shoot it to the title. It's rare.

JasonJohnHorn
05-11-2013, 02:25 PM
Of course, they just need to be great rebounders and defenders are well. Obviously you can't have ONLY jumper shooters... you need to be able to run some other plays, but you can rely heavily on jump shooting and pull it off. Orlando almost with with Dwight. They got to the finals.

D-Leethal
05-11-2013, 03:02 PM
You don't need true post scoring as Boston, Miami and Dallas have proven but you need to get easy buckets via penetration and FTs.

The whole 'you can't win without post scoring' mantra is way outdated and only still alive because of Charles Barkley.

Trinidad
05-11-2013, 03:09 PM
You don't need true post scoring as Boston, Miami and Dallas have proven but you need to get easy buckets via penetration and FTs.

The whole 'you can't win without post scoring' mantra is way outdated and only still alive because of Charles Barkley.

You neglected half of my post. Post ups are not necessary. Although LeBron was a dominant low post player in the Finals last year. Drives can suffice. The point is you can't just go high post and start jacking. Or just catch and shoot. It doesn't work.

rocket
05-11-2013, 03:22 PM
Yes and another jump shooting team did it.Detroit did it too. 2 teams in 20 years is not a good rate.

They were a defensive team, they didn't win it because of jump shooting lol.

D-Leethal
05-11-2013, 03:29 PM
You neglected half of my post. Post ups are not necessary. Although LeBron was a dominant low post player in the Finals last year. Drives can suffice. The point is you can't just go high post and start jacking. Or just catch and shoot. It doesn't work.

Sorry dude, skipped to page 2 and didn't even read it. I think your right, it really just comes down to getting easy baskets. I personally believe if your getting wide open 3s and wide open jumpers those are easy baskets. If your not getting those looks, you need to find ways to get easy points inside the paint via drives, post ups, FTs, however you can do it.

There isn't one way to win a ring, too many people get caught up in 'you need this and this in order to win a ring'. The best team will win, whether they do it via jumpers or post ups or drives really doesn't matter if they can do it well enough.

The Rockets in the 90s hoisted more threes than any team in history to that point IIRC. You need to mix it up, but thats basically just saying your team needs to be well rounded, which is stating the obvious.

numba1CHANGsta
05-11-2013, 03:45 PM
If the team rely on jump shooting for 80% of the time then no

Teams that win championships are all about defense and attacking the basket, jump shooting is the 3rd most important factor, as for the GSW it's their most important factor, resulting them to not make it far in the playoffs. If you add GS backcourt to MEM frontcourt, you have the perfect team to win a championship because they play D, attack the basket and would have great shooters as well.

Guppyfighter
05-11-2013, 07:01 PM
If the team rely on jump shooting for 80% of the time then no

Teams that win championships are all about defense and attacking the basket, jump shooting is the 3rd most important factor, as for the GSW it's their most important factor, resulting them to not make it far in the playoffs. If you add GS backcourt to MEM frontcourt, you have the perfect team to win a championship because they play D, attack the basket and would have great shooters as well.

They just got by a team who is the exact opposite of them in terms of how they score.

sf-fanatic
05-11-2013, 09:56 PM
Everyone acts like the Warriors only shoot jumpers.

We outrebounded the other team in most of the games so far and we are decent at defending.

tredigs
05-11-2013, 10:23 PM
Everyone acts like the Warriors only shoot jumpers.

We outrebounded the other team in most of the games so far and we are decent at defending.

But placing teams into a tight little box to promote archaic thinking doesn't work when you bring up other factors. It also doesn't matter how well or poorly you shoot, just that you do it.

lol, please
05-11-2013, 11:09 PM
I love how you created a thread to rip on the Warriors Trinidad......then got raped in it. :laugh2:

girlsluvBeyonce
05-11-2013, 11:34 PM
the knicks can

IndyRealist
05-11-2013, 11:43 PM
All contenders need to be versatile. You can't rely on one type of offense to win. Even those teams, didn't score all their points with one method...

Anyone catch the irony? :D

I kid, I kid.

Trinidad
05-15-2013, 05:54 PM
The best 4 teams in the league are the Pacers, Heat, Spurs, Grizzlies. What do they have in common? They are about to clinch a spot to the conference finals.

What else do they have in common? They all have a post presence and/or somebody to drive to the rim.

They say the league has changed. It has. But what wins it still what wins.

Showtime Steve
05-15-2013, 06:00 PM
I see it as the old school hanging on vs the new school. Every team no matter how much talent they have will have a poor offensive game or two. But a comPlete lack of a post presence even to give the shooters a break for a minute or two will hurt you. Doesn't matter how well you shoot the three, stats will always show two points are easier than threes. Jump shooting teams don't get those critical FT's.

Trinidad
05-15-2013, 06:03 PM
I see it as the old school hanging on vs the new school. Every team no matter how much talent they have will have a poor offensive game or two. But a com

What are you saying? It's quite obvious what is going on here with the teams who are losing. They can't get close enough to the rim to score consistently.

tr3ymill3r
05-15-2013, 06:06 PM
It would have to be a select team of All stars in their prime. Curry/Allen/Thompson/Dirk/Bynum(only shoots 3s)

Guppyfighter
05-15-2013, 06:38 PM
Somebody can prove that jumpshooting teams have a harder time scoring consistently.

All you would have to show is their standard deviation. And show that for other teams as well.

Guppyfighter
05-15-2013, 06:39 PM
Somebody can prove that jumpshooting teams have a harder time scoring consistently.

All you would have to show is their standard deviation. And show that for other teams as well.