PDA

View Full Version : Hanrahan to 60-day DL; to see Dr. James Andrews

-Lavigne43-
05-09-2013, 01:22 AM
The inside of his right elbow bruised and badly discolored, Red Sox reliever Joel Hanrahan expressed concern Wednesday night that he may have sustained an injury more serious than originally thought.

Hanrahan said he plans to visit noted orthopedist Dr. James Andrews on Friday, and that the results of the tests administered to him here after he came out of Monday night's game have already been sent to Andrews and may also be sent to orthopedist David Altchek, the Mets' team physician with whom the Sox medical staff already has consulted.

The concern is that the flexor-pronator strain of his forearm could also involve damage to the ulnar collateral ligament, which in a worst-case scenario could mean Tommy John reconstructive surgery...

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/9257278/joel-hanrahan-boston-red-sox-fears-forearm-injury-worse-expected

bagwell368
05-09-2013, 06:09 AM
Heavy bruising in that spot and "Andrews", sure doesn't sound good....

TragicallyHip
05-09-2013, 09:40 AM
Well, that'll about do it for Hanrahan's career with the Sox.

Melo15
05-09-2013, 09:50 AM
This is why we can't have nice things.

Station 13
05-09-2013, 10:19 AM
Don't touch yourself at night!

Melo15
05-09-2013, 10:21 AM
I'm more of a morning person myself.

todu82
05-09-2013, 12:44 PM
Hoping for the best here for Hanrahan but it doesn't sound good.

RedSoxtober
05-09-2013, 05:46 PM
The Red Sox placed Joel Hanrahan on the 60-day disabled list today to make room on the 40-man roster for righthanded reliever Jose De La Torre.

Hanrahan had been placed on the 15-day disabled list Tuesday with a flexor muscle strain. He is now on his way to Birmingham, Ala., to be examined by Dr. James Andrews Friday.

Regardless of the diagnosis, Hanrahan will be out at least two months and likely more.

"Once we got the initial MRI, it seemed that was a possibility," Sox manager John Farrell said. "Not knowing the extent or total number of days, we felt it was still going to require some recovery time. Then when you factor in the build-up back from that, it felt like it was going to be a couple of months total at a minimum."

There is concern that Hanrahan could have a torn ulnar collateral ligament. That would require Tommy John surgery.

"We can't rule it out," Farrell said. "But yet I don't know that there's information that's in hand to date that says it's definite ligament issues. That's where tomorrow's exam will be valuable in that area."

Hanrahan also could have surgery to repair the flexor muscle.

"That's been part of the discussion," Farrell said. "That's where he's got to get his arms around the situation with as much information as possible and make the decision at that point."

But even if surgery can be avoided, Hanrahan will not be back for at least two months — if then.

"Best case is the conservative treatment," Farrell said. "That is rest, rehab, recovery, and return to action. That's the best I can tell you right now."

Is there any hope that Hanrahan pitches again for the Red Sox this season?

"At this point, yes," Farrell said. "If everything were to respond favorably to that conservative course of action then, yes, that's a possibility."Boston.com

Lackeyfan41
05-09-2013, 05:52 PM
Nice,

And to rub salt into the wound Melancoln has 1 run allowed in 17 innings
and Lowrie is on pace to be at least a top 10 shortstop

****ing Red Sox, it is always the same **** with them

RedSoxtober
05-09-2013, 06:23 PM
Nice,

Yeah, and people responded this way a year ago when Lowrie hit .297/.384/.422 to start the season. He has ALWAYS started hot... some going as far as calling him "Jeddy Ballgame" when he first got the call.

The complaints tended to die down when he barely scraped by the Mendoza line for the last three months of his season. The emphasis being on HIS season. The last three months were June, July, and September because, of course, he was hurt for several weeks in the middle.

Otherwise, right on, he's a top 10 SS.

mooz
05-10-2013, 09:52 AM
Nice,

I don't agree that this is rubbing salt in the wound. Anyone who's ever watched Melancon knows he's a completely different pitcher in the NL vs the AL. I could care less about his NL stats, he could never cut it in Boston and he couldn't cut it in NY despite being touted as their "closer of the future". Getting a player like Hanrahan who at least had the possibility of being a valuable piece for us was worth the risk. Why didn't you mention Jerry Sands hitting .141 in Triple A right now? He was part of the trade too.

Lowrie is a really good hitter, no doubt about that but he'll be injured soon enough. I'll never wish injury on someone but just look at his track record. And is Kyle Weiland even still in baseball? He has no stats at any level this year. Lowrie/Weiland for Melancon was a dumb trade, I agree but I'm sure the thinking was that we had much higher ceiling (due to injury I know Lowrie's ceiling is high) SS prospects on the way and needed bullpen help.

Station 13
05-10-2013, 10:37 AM
Melancon is just a better pitcher than Hanrahan. Stop making this stupid AL/NL comparison. Melancon pitch fine after his rough April last year. Hanrahan is just hot garbage.

mooz
05-10-2013, 10:48 AM
Melancon is just a better pitcher than Hanrahan. Stop making this stupid AL/NL comparison. Melancon pitch fine after his rough April last year. Hanrahan is just hot garbage.

Stupid AL/NL comparison? There is a drastic difference in pitcher's production from AL to NL. It's a fact. It's also pretty common knowledge, I didn't think I had to explain it much further than I did.

And per your "pitched fine after his rough April last year", in what world is a 4.19 ERA "fine" for a critical bullpen arm? Because that's what he was supposed to be. Heck 4.19 isn't even all that acceptable for a mop up guy. And in the middle of his post April, in the months he had the most appearances he posted a 6.57 ERA in July and a 6.23 ERA in August. He was terrible until his appearances didn't matter.

Station 13
05-10-2013, 10:58 AM
For a reliever there's not much. I'd rather have guys who throw strikes. Hanrahan was a red flag move. Who would be thrill with a reliever coming off a 5BB/9 season?

bagwell368
05-10-2013, 11:04 AM

At the moment/this year - sure. Career wise, Hanrahan was given more responsiblity, pitched at least 2,5x more innings, and has done similar to Melancon results wise.

Nomar
05-10-2013, 11:15 AM
Relievers are such a crapshoot. They aren't worth any big investment and prove that time and time again.

bagwell368
05-10-2013, 11:31 AM
Relievers are such a crapshoot. They aren't worth any big investment and prove that time and time again.

Yeah. If Bailey had been broken last year we never would have moved on Hanrahan.

Needless to make the point, but, Hanrahan will never throw another pitch for us.

RedSoxtober
05-10-2013, 06:11 PM
@TimBritton

Hanrahan has damage to his flexor tendon, which protects the UCL in the elbow. Has to decide to try rest and rehab or season-ending surgery.

-------

Not UCL as was feared could be involved. I'm sure the R&R approach will get a heavy push from the FO since it gives him a chance to pitch at season's end.

Station 13
05-10-2013, 06:15 PM
nvm

-Lavigne43-
05-11-2013, 12:33 PM
He's having surgery, so done for the year

Celticsfan2007
05-11-2013, 01:49 PM
:sigh: