PDA

View Full Version : Does Phil Jackson have a roster STYLE?

deaner
05-08-2013, 06:41 PM
I'm interested in the forums perspective on Phil Jackson's roster style. Does he have a certain type if player that fits his rotations better? Does he put more weight towards:

IQ
Ball Handling
Shooting
Speed
Character
Defensive potential....?

The media seems to think Toronto is in the lead for his services. Do you think he would overhaul that roster? Any raptors he would keep?

It's not meant to be a "why would PJ go to the tundra" kind of thread.

FOXHOUND
05-08-2013, 07:32 PM
I would say, based on his teams histories.

PG - Big, strong defenders who can hit the 3 at a good clip and can post up

SG - Big, athletic players who can do it all on both ends of the court and have good post games

SF - Big, athletic players who can do it all on both end of the court and have good post games

PF - Big, strong players who can post, pass and play strong D

C - Big, strong players who can protect the rim, rebound, post, pass and hit some jumpers

I think it runs in that vein. Obviously he's mixed things up a bit depending on his talent, but I think that's the gist of what he likes. I don't think he views SGs and SFs so much as different positions, but rather as two wings. He always likes having great size, the only time he didn't was when Lamar Odom was his best option at PF for a few years. He had big say on the Caron Butler for Kwame Brown trade, and the main thing there was he wanted a center who can do what he likes them to do.

I think if you generalize it it would be big players who have high basketball IQ and good all around games who play well on both sides of the court. You can't forget Tex Winter, since the triangle plays an enormous part in what Phil does. In a way I kind of hope he does return to coaching because I would like to see if he and Tex could adjust the triangle to the new revolution of NBA style currently going on, and how they would do that. But I also agree with Jalen Rose's sentiment that Phil shouldn't come back to work, he should come back to be a boss.

For Toronto I think there would be a sizable overhaul. I think Valacunis would be his biggest draw there, but I'm not sure how much he would love the rest. Gay and Derozen don't really fit into the Phil mold for wing players, unless he thinks he can develop and mold them into what he likes wings to do. Lowry fits, but Phil has never had a PG run the show as his triangle is always run from a wing/in the post. I don't think the roster has enough passing and shooting ability to run Phil's triangle.

RLundi
05-08-2013, 07:33 PM
Yes: multiple superstars.

Anything else, it doesn't suit him.

D-Leethal
05-08-2013, 07:35 PM
Bigs who can pass in the post, perimeter stud who can score on anyone in 1 on 1 coverage, shooters to burn you when you send the double and a few swiss-army-knife type guys.

THE MTL
05-08-2013, 07:37 PM
Superstars that's his style. Minimum two superstars on his teams.

Lake_Show2416
05-08-2013, 07:55 PM
superstar wing with high bball IQ

good defensive PG who can knock down 3's with high bball IQ

good defensive wing who can knock down 3's

skilled big who can post with willingness to pass

solid rebounding big who can protect the basket

Cal827
05-08-2013, 08:00 PM
1 Hall of Fame Swingman
1 Underrated Player
1 Strong Defensive Presence
1 Psychopath

5 Titles :)

deaner
05-08-2013, 08:09 PM

Does he need a present superstar or can he develop one from a better than average player with
Potential? I think the quality that Phil brings is getting the most out of his players...

jericho
05-08-2013, 09:03 PM
Does he need a present superstar or can he develop one from a better than average player with
Potential? I think the quality that Phil brings is getting the most out of his players...

Naw he needs superstars

psperry34116
05-08-2013, 10:08 PM
Yeah he just needs a buttload of hall of famers. his 11 rings shouldnt even count. he couldnt get them without jordan and kobe

I agree that they help, but its key to mention that Jordan and Kobe couldn't get them without Phil. While there are coaches who are better at getting the most out of their guys (Red, Pat Riley, Adelman), there's been nobody near as good as far as getting stars to play good basketball together.

psperry34116
05-08-2013, 10:09 PM
Spoelstra's done an excellent job this year but it took him 3 years.

ragee
05-08-2013, 10:14 PM
Yes. If it not championship material, its not his style so he won't coach.

Source
05-08-2013, 10:33 PM
i love my coach, but anyone can win a ring with our roster. wade won a ring without spoelstra also.

ya he won it with shaq and pat riley

Hawkeye15
05-08-2013, 11:15 PM

this

waveycrockett
05-08-2013, 11:29 PM
An MVP and another Superstar at the minimum

Dade County
05-08-2013, 11:58 PM

This... If he doesn't have the best player('s) in the game (or of all time), it's not worth his time.

J4KOP99
05-09-2013, 12:19 AM
If any of you seriously think Phil is going to Toronto, you have lost your damn mind.

As for his style, he likes proven players. He hates playing young guys.

-You need a great wing player that preferably can score in multiple ways

-You need a number of player that are consistent scorers with their backs to the basket

-You need good passing big men

-You need a few shooters here and there

-You don't need a true PG, but instead someone that can settle down the offense, knock down shots, and defend (Ron Harper, Fisher, etc.)

-You need guys that can handle a pretty intense offense. There are so many different reads in the triangle that a young team, or a dumb team, wouldn't be able to use it to their full potential.

His teams are smart, they are consistent, they know how to control the pace, and they tend to have at least 2 all-world players on the roster.

J4KOP99
05-09-2013, 12:23 AM
There's not many teams I can see him coaching. He ****ing hates Pat Riley (the feeling is mutual, I believe) so Miami wouldn't be an option no matter what happens there. I doubt he respects a player like Carmelo and who knows what that roster will look like next year anyway. He won't coach Brooklyn because he doesn't want a dominant PG on his team (a ball handling PG like D-Will would ruin the triangle), and young teams like GS and a few others don't really have the make up for a Phil team.

The only 2 teams I could see him coaching would be LAL and OKC. But if he coached OKC, I think he would possibly request for Westbrook to be traded.

Knowledge
05-09-2013, 12:38 AM
At least one Top ten player all time, if not two. Can work with someone in the top 50 if he has someone who can be argued as the GOAT.

LAKERMANIA
05-09-2013, 12:49 AM
Starting Lineup
1 guard who can score at will and defend both sides (the superstar)
1 guard who can hit the three and play D (normally the point guard)
1 Forward who plays good defense and scores at will, but not as good as the main guard
1 Power forward who is a defensive juggernaut, rebounds, plays D and is responsible for the put-backs, cleanup.
1 Center who can also score at will, and play good D.

The PF and C can switch roles

The team has to have 1 "bruiser" who is willing to bang with the bigs, chase loose balls...

BENCH

1 Sixth man that should be starting, but has him come off the bench and play starter minutes

A few shooters off the bench

1 backup PG who defends and shoots 3s, provides energy

1 Big who is a shotblocker, and isn't good at anything else

deaner
05-09-2013, 12:55 AM
There's not many teams I can see him coaching. He ****ing hates Pat Riley (the feeling is mutual, I believe) so Miami wouldn't be an option no matter what happens there. I doubt he respects a player like Carmelo and who knows what that roster will look like next year anyway. He won't coach Brooklyn because he doesn't want a dominant PG on his team (a ball handling PG like D-Will would ruin the triangle), and young teams like GS and a few others don't really have the make up for a Phil team.

The only 2 teams I could see him coaching would be LAL and OKC. But if he coached OKC, I think he would possibly request for Westbrook to be traded.

As long as Jimmy is involved with the Lakers there is not a very good possibility Phil would be involved in any capacity.

AntiG
05-09-2013, 06:09 AM
yes. roster must include the best player in the entire NBA to be considered.

Kashmir13579
05-09-2013, 06:34 AM
Stacked roster

sep11ie
05-09-2013, 06:40 AM
Yea, one chocked full with superstars so he can sit on the bench and be smug or sleep.

Ty_Lawson
05-09-2013, 07:33 AM
Miami Heat type..

GrumpyOldMan
05-09-2013, 08:12 AM
The only reason he would consider coming here is if Toronto made him President/GM and let him run the show. He wont coach IMO. I could see him wanting a new challenge though and I think he would be good as an executive. I could see him bringing in one of his former assistants to coach though and build a team to suit his style.

FYL_McVeezy
05-09-2013, 09:47 AM
yea it's called have the generation's best player on your team with a legit #2 option....

oh yea and role players who can learn the triangle...

Jarvo
05-09-2013, 11:22 AM
He only want Superstars.

RaiderLakersA's
05-09-2013, 02:26 PM
1 Hall of Fame Swingman
1 Underrated Player
1 Strong Defensive Presence
1 Psychopath

5 Titles :)

Come on, man, you're giving away State secrets. No one is supposed to know that the role of the psychopath (e.g., Rodman, Artest) in the Triangle offense is THE reason for its success. Loose lips sink ships. Zip it!!!

:D

IBleedPurple
05-09-2013, 07:54 PM

This, and only this.

KingPosey
05-09-2013, 08:21 PM
Yes, PJ does have a roster "Style".... its called being STACKED.

KingPosey
05-09-2013, 08:25 PM
He ABSOLUTELY wouldn't coach Toronto. Anyone that thinks there is a 1% chance of that is crazy.

Supreme LA
05-09-2013, 08:26 PM
WOW. No respect for Phil at all on PSD.

blystr2002
05-09-2013, 11:06 PM
Big tall Pgs and shooting guards.

Lakers + Giants
05-10-2013, 12:20 AM
Like others said. Superstars and vets. NO ROOKIES.

KniCks4LiFe
05-10-2013, 12:26 AM
Championship stars or not my type.

DallasTrilla23
05-10-2013, 12:43 AM
Phil's roster style is atleast 2 Hall of Famers on the same damn team.

DreamShaker
05-10-2013, 12:45 AM

He has never been in a position to have to start from scratch. Could he? Who knows? He took over 3 teams: MJ's Bulls, Shaq's Lakers, and Kobe's Lakers post-Shaq. None of them were championship teams, but all those star players bought into his system, changes, and philosophies. He is great at managing egos and coaching superstars. To his credit, every player he ever coached got better. More refined, able to play to their strengths, mentally prepared. But, he has always had great talent. His ideal situation would be the Clippers or if OKC let go of Brooks. He could maximize those rosters in ways their current coaches just cannot.

DreamShaker
05-10-2013, 12:50 AM
WOW. No respect for Phil at all on PSD.

I just think he has always been in cushy situations. Not a knock on him, but the real question is: after coaching Pippen, MJ, Kobe, Shaq, and Pau...would he, at this stage of his career, want to coach a team that needs 3 or 4 years, or step into a GREAT situation, like if OKC fired Brooks? Does he want just ANY job?

--23--
05-10-2013, 04:25 AM
A dominate scorer is the consistent with Phil and the Triangle Offense, It doesn't matter if it's a dominating guard/forward or big. OKC would be the best choice for him...Durant, Westbrook and Ibaka in the triangle could be scary. :drool:

Leftcoast_yg
05-10-2013, 05:18 AM
An MVP and another Superstar at the minimum

this

Naw he needs superstars

Sooo by your guys statements from 2008 to 2010 Pau Gasol was a superstar right??? Be careful to not choke on your words, one bite at a time hahaa!

LakersIn5
05-10-2013, 07:12 AM
alot of haters. when he came to chicago pippen wasnt a superstar yet. to L.A kobe wasnt a superstar yet and in 2006 only odom was the 2nd best player so i dont know why you guys are saying phil only wants to coach teams with multiple superstars.

put d'antoni on chicago in 1988 would he set up the bulls team to be a 6 time champion? mj's brilliance would win the bulls a championship but not 6. phil managed jordan's ego which made him the jordan we know. put mike brown on the shaq lakers era. would they 3peat? no. popovich would outcoach him. shaq and kobe would have divorced by 2000 if that happened. would a 14th pick develop to be a top 10 player alltime had he been coached by an okay coach? no.

HouRealCoach
05-10-2013, 07:55 AM
He always has a couple of the best players in the league, role players who are clutch, and the bottom of the roster are guys like Medvedenko, Sun Yue, Dickey Simpkins lol

pebloemer
05-10-2013, 09:03 AM
He ABSOLUTELY wouldn't coach Toronto. Anyone that thinks there is a 1% chance of that is crazy.

Nobody is suggesting he would coach anywhere. He has been clear that he is look for a role similar to what Pat Riley has in Miami where he can have significant control over a franchise. The question is about what he would want to do with a team in that role.

FYL_McVeezy
05-10-2013, 09:40 AM
Nobody is suggesting he would coach anywhere. He has been clear that he is look for a role similar to what Pat Riley has in Miami where he can have significant control over a franchise. The question is about what he would want to do with a team in that role.

Trade for LBJ

Labgrownmangoat
05-10-2013, 09:58 AM
Big tall Pgs and shooting guards.

John Paxson and Steve Kerr disagree with this statement.

blystr2002
05-10-2013, 10:08 AM
John Paxson and Steve Kerr disagree with this statement.

Kerr- 6'3
Paxson- 6'2
So, they were average, but he loved Brian Shaw and Ron Harper and always tried to bring in guys like that who were bigger more physical guards.

blystr2002
05-10-2013, 10:20 AM
Obviously, you don't win titles without star players in the NBA. No, coach ever has and no coach ever will, but is Phil being underrated by just saying he was given star players and they won. Remember his teams were talented underachievers until he came.

Question: Was he actually given stars or did he develop the talent that was already there into stars?

Kobe the year before Jackson 26 min and 15 points a game. 1st year with Jackson 37 min and 20 points and kept getting better
Scottie Pippen wasn't an every game starter until Jackson's 1st year and all his statistics went up.