PDA

View Full Version : George Karl named Coach of the Year

kdspurman
05-08-2013, 09:24 AM
John Schuhmann ‏@johnschuhmann 2m
George Karl was voted Coach of the Year. 2. Spoelstra 3. Woodson 4. Popovich 5. Vogel.

Interesting to see Spo that high and Mark Jackson not in the top 5.

Congrats to Karl

gotoHcarolina52
05-08-2013, 09:25 AM
@TrueHoop

NBA announces George Karl won coach of the year, a choice that would have looked a lot better a few weeks ago.

@WallaceNBA_ESPN

George Karl wins coach of the year, Spoelstra is 2nd. How Hollins is 6th and Thibodeau is 8th makes no sense to me.

@TrueHoop 33s

Vinny Del Negro finished ahead of Doc Rivers in Coach of the Year voting.

kdspurman
05-08-2013, 09:25 AM
John Schuhmann ‏@johnschuhmann 53s
P.J. Carlesimo & Vinny Del Negro each received one 1st place vote & one 2nd place vote for COY.

:speechless: That's pretty shocking...

ManningToTyree
05-08-2013, 09:28 AM
I would have given it to everyone else in the top 5, Jackson, thibs and Hollins before Karl.

kdspurman
05-08-2013, 09:30 AM
Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 53s
Bulls' Tom Thibodeau finished eighth in Coach of the Year voting, behind Karl, Spoelstra, Woodson, Pop, Vogel, Lionel Hollins & Mark Jackson

Thibs is 8th. Seems fairly low

NYKnickFanatic
05-08-2013, 09:31 AM
Thibodeau is 8th. That seems like ********. Should have definitely been higher than that...

Heediot
05-08-2013, 09:32 AM
First coach of the year to be fired? I'd do it.

justinnum1
Eh.

I think only one time before coy also won the title in same year.

NYKnickFanatic
Thibs is 8th. Seems fairly low

Agreed.

NYKnickFanatic
05-08-2013, 09:33 AM

I was just thinking about this too. I was wondering if a coach has ever won COY and then been fired.

kdspurman
05-08-2013, 09:33 AM
Eh.

I think only one time before coy also won the title in same year.

Pop in 03 is what I remember.

kdspurman
05-08-2013, 09:34 AM
I was just thinking about this too. I was wondering if a coach has ever won COY and then been fired.

I can't think of any time that happened. I think Avery got canned the year after he won it

Greet
05-08-2013, 09:41 AM
Wow, I think Thibs should have been much higher.

ManRam
05-08-2013, 09:42 AM
thibs not being top 5 is an utter joke.

karl probably would have been 4th or 5th on my ballot...but coach of the year is always so muddled and close. so it's whatever.

NYCkid12
Thibs got robbed.....first of all he should of won the award, but to not even finish in the top 5??? Complete joke

1-800-STFU
CoY seems to be that award you win once and that's it, onto the next "surprise" team. Thibs didn't get it because he did whats expected of him, and didn't necessarily rise above expectations

BklynKnicks3
05-08-2013, 09:46 AM
ballots are casted before playoffs so the order is pretty much on the money except for the fact spoestra is 2nd heat would win 58 with a psd poster as their coach

kdspurman
05-08-2013, 09:51 AM
Tom Ziller ‏@teamziller 3m
14 of 30 NBA head coaches received COY votes. All made playoffs. 2 playoff coaches who didn't get any votes: D'Antoni and Boylan.

cubbiefan_est88
05-08-2013, 09:54 AM
CoY seems to be that award you win once and that's it, onto the next "surprise" team. Thibs didn't get it because he did whats expected of him, and didn't necessarily rise above expectations your kidding right?

FYL_McVeezy
05-08-2013, 09:55 AM
Congrats to Karl on the great regular season....

Nice to see Woody finish as a finalist as well...

I would put Thibs over Vogel TBH....they are both great coaches however.....

nycericanguy
05-08-2013, 09:57 AM

karl probably would have been 4th or 5th on my ballot...but coach of the year is always so muddled and close. so it's whatever.

Thibs got robbed.....first of all he should of won the award, but to not even finish in the top 5??? Complete joke

well he's showing his value now, but he only won 44 games this year in the regular season. And they do have a fairly talented roster when healthy, Noah, Boozer, Butler, Deng, Nate, Hinrich, Taj, Marco

whats amazing is what he's doing now without Deng, Hinrich, and with other guys hurt and sick

Kashmir13579
05-08-2013, 10:01 AM
CoY seems to be that award you win once and that's it, onto the next "surprise" team. Thibs didn't get it because he did whats expected of him, and didn't necessarily rise above expectations
I guess you're kind of right. Thibs could rightfully be COTY every year though.

JasonJohnHorn
05-08-2013, 10:05 AM

This is a likely scenario. It would keep up with the pattern of the season though, what with Avery Johnson getting fired after winning coach of the month.

When I first saw that the Nuggets had called a press conference, I thought it was to announce that they had fired Karl, but then I saw that the other headline was that Karl had won COY. It would have been funny to announce both at the same press conference.

JasonJohnHorn
05-08-2013, 10:07 AM
I like Karl a lot,but coach of the year? Woodson, Jackson, Vogel were at the top of my list and Pop and Thibs were obviously as deserving as anybody given what they each accomplished this season.

Avenged
05-08-2013, 10:09 AM
Another award losing its credibility. This looks like a life time achievement award.

NYCkid12
05-08-2013, 10:16 AM
well he's showing his value now, but he only won 44 games this year in the regular season. And they do have a fairly talented roster when healthy, Noah, Boozer, Butler, Deng, Nate, Hinrich, Taj, Marco

whats amazing is what he's doing now without Deng, Hinrich, and with other guys hurt and sick

except that all year they've been battling injuries....

Noah missed 16 games and probably played another 20-25 on one foot

Hinrich missed 22 Games

Gibson missed 17 games

Not to mention there superstar Derek Rose missed the whole season ...and okay you didn't expect him to give you much this season, but to deal with the questions of when he'll come back is a task in itself

29$JerZ
05-08-2013, 10:22 AM
I was more impressed with what Woodson and Jackson did but whatever.

mdm692
05-08-2013, 10:23 AM
The voting was a joke. George Karl deserved it and I'm not mad at him getting it but how does VDN finish ahead of Doc and Thibs out of the top 5.

Guppyfighter
05-08-2013, 10:24 AM
Voters are dumb.

nycericanguy
05-08-2013, 10:27 AM

except that all year they've been battling injuries....

Noah missed 16 games and probably played another 20-25 on one foot

Hinrich missed 22 Games

Gibson missed 17 games

Not to mention there superstar Derek Rose missed the whole season ...and okay you didn't expect him to give you much this season, but to deal with the questions of when he'll come back is a task in itself

Outside of Rose CHI didn't have any major injuries til the playoffs... every team has a few guys miss games.

Heck Woodson won 54 with his entire starting lineup each missing 15 games +.

Thibs has done an AMAZING job in the PS, but 44 wins in the regular season just isn't very impressive.

kozelkid
05-08-2013, 10:28 AM
Another award losing its credibility. This looks like a life time achievement award.

It never had credibility in the first place.

Lo Porto
05-08-2013, 10:30 AM
George Karl has had a fantastic career and there have been no other standout candidates. So give it to him for this season and his career. This in reaction to the Jerry Sloan always getting snubbed by this stupid voting system.

nycericanguy
05-08-2013, 10:38 AM
has there ever been a COTY that has been fired or that fans wanted gone so badly?

ThunderousDemon
05-08-2013, 10:41 AM
Nothing has changed for the Nuggets, they're still a first round exit.

George Karl didn't deserve it.

The voting is comical, Thibodeau at 8th place, really?

ThaDubs
05-08-2013, 10:41 AM
Wow

GiantsSwaGG
05-08-2013, 10:44 AM
Woodson and Jackson deserved it more

RaiderLakersA's
05-08-2013, 10:51 AM
I'm shocked. Thibs and Jackson were my top two.

akagiredsuns
05-08-2013, 10:56 AM
Wow pathetic. thibodeau is hands down coach of the year winning 45 games without Derrick Rose and dealing with a lot of injuries and wasn't even top 4 . But they give it to somebody whose team has been eliminated 8 times in 9 years in the first round of the playoffs? and what the hell is spoelstra doing there he's got a freakin super team in Miami. Karl got it out of pity.

MonroeFAN
05-08-2013, 10:59 AM
Thibs and Jackson definitely got robbed here.

Jetsguy
05-08-2013, 11:01 AM
Was anybody really giving Thibs this much love in the regular season though? I mean he did well but he did well the two year prior to that as well. 44 games in the EC is not that impressive even without Rose. 8th is low, I agree but he should not have won it IMO.

Spoelstra is tough because on one hand you think anyone could coach that team but I am not so sure of that. They won 27 games straight and had the best record, that has to mean something.

I thought Woodson deserved it honestly. He coaches the Knicks so probably doesnt stand a chance in PSD's mind but he really did an unreal job, especially if you look back to when he took over late last season. First division title in 20 years, 54 wins all while having multiple injuries for extended periods of time. Before the season this entire board said Knicks were to old and wouldnt do what they have done. Woodson has gotten effort on D from Melo, something Karl never could, he made the most of Felton, and a 35 year old rookie, while mixing in way past prime players in Sheed, Kidd, Camby, Thomas etc.

ThaDubs
05-08-2013, 11:02 AM
No love for Jackson, even though he out coached GK in the playoffs...

Mudvayne91
Karl wasn't going to be fired before the award and nothing has changed.

Kashmir13579
Yeah i agree with basically everyone. Karl didn't deserve this award.

FYL_McVeezy
05-08-2013, 11:03 AM

it seems as if the COTY votes are based on the reg. season...nothing more nothing less...

with that being said Mark Jack should have been in the top 5 somehow....he's done a tremendous job with your team since he was hired...

NYKnickFanatic
05-08-2013, 11:06 AM
Karl wasn't going to be fired before the award and nothing has changed.

Oh ok, thanks for the information Masai!

NYKnickFanatic
05-08-2013, 11:08 AM
Was anybody really giving Thibs this much love in the regular season though? I mean he did well but he did well the two year prior to that as well. 44 games in the EC is not that impressive even without Rose. 8th is low, I agree but he should not have won it IMO.

Spoelstra is tough because on one hand you think anyone could coach that team but I am not so sure of that. They won 27 games straight and had the best record, that has to mean something.

I thought Woodson deserved it honestly. He coaches the Knicks so probably doesnt stand a chance in PSD's mind but he really did an unreal job, especially if you look back to when he took over late last season. First division title in 20 years, 54 wins all while having multiple injuries for extended periods of time. Before the season this entire board said Knicks were to old and wouldnt do what they have done. Woodson has gotten effort on D from Melo, something Karl never could, he made the most of Felton, and a 35 year old rookie, while mixing in way past prime players in Sheed, Kidd, Camby, Thomas etc.
I don't feel like he should have won it, but he should have definitely been recognized a bit more, rather than to be placed 8th.

Mudvayne91
05-08-2013, 11:10 AM
Is this a playoff award or regular season? If it is just based on regular season, 57 wins for a team that many thought would be missing the playoffs, it isn't bad

Mudvayne91
05-08-2013, 11:11 AM
Oh ok, thanks for the information Masai!

The beauty of it is, Masai was the one to say it. So save your sarcasm.

NYKnickFanatic
05-08-2013, 11:16 AM
The beauty of it is, Masai was the one to say it. So save your sarcasm.

Lol just playing dude, chill.

Mudvayne91
05-08-2013, 11:18 AM
Fair enough

VCaintdead17
05-08-2013, 11:18 AM

Not a playoff award

The goods
05-08-2013, 11:24 AM
Mark Jackson or Thibs should've gotten it.

NYKnickFanatic
05-08-2013, 11:24 AM
Fair enough

But on serious note, you want Karl to stay?

Yes, he is a fantastic regular season coach, but doesn't show up in the playoffs. You wouldn't want a new face there?

NYKnickFanatic
05-08-2013, 11:25 AM
Mark Jackson or Thibs should've gotten it.

Thibs has done a beautiful job, but why do you think he should have won it?

sammid21
05-08-2013, 11:42 AM
Karl deserved it, at least once in his career. GAreat coach. But not to sound like a homer but Thibs did deserve it a little more since the Bulls did have a ton of injuries and, i havent seen anyone mention this but, he is dealing with a completely new bench which had to contribute due to the injuries. Also the emergence of Butler, which i credit Thibs in developing.

DR_1
05-08-2013, 11:44 AM
Thibs freaking eight? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

These awards really are a joke. Not saying he should have been the 100% winner (even though I would have voted for him) but to get so little respect after the season he had is just plain wrong.

Greet
05-08-2013, 11:47 AM
Thibs freaking eight? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

These awards really are a joke. Not saying he should have been the 100% winner (even though I would have voted for him) but to get so little respect after the season he had is just plain wrong.

Of course you would have voted for him, you're a bulls fan.

DR_1
05-08-2013, 11:50 AM
Of course you would have voted for him, you're a bulls fan.

That has nothing to do with it. Look at what he did with this team. We may have missed the playoffs without Thibs - almost everyone on the team missed extensive time to injury, and yet we still finished 5th in the east, only a few games short of 50 wins :facepalm:

BKLYNpigeon
05-08-2013, 11:54 AM
Mark Jackson should get honorable mention here.

The Warriors were picked to finish 12-13th in the West. Warriors finished 6th in the West.

Mudvayne91
05-08-2013, 11:58 AM
But on serious note, you want Karl to stay?

Yes, he is a fantastic regular season coach, but doesn't show up in the playoffs. You wouldn't want a new face there?
I think so. I really like the guy, but his stubbornness is killing the team. He has favorites like Andre Miller, who I also really like from his first stint here, but he'll play him despite screwing up badly in a game. He won't play certain bigs or rookies generally. I think he's done a good job, but I fear he's run his course. We will soon find out. I believe if they can get 1-2 3 point threats and a top 10 center, I think this team can be one of the better. Need to get rid of Miller and Brewer though.

NYKnickFanatic
05-08-2013, 12:01 PM
Mark Jackson should get honorable mention here.

The Warriors were picked to finish 12-13th in the West. Warriors finished 6th in the West.
Agreed. Should have been top 5.

NYKnickFanatic
05-08-2013, 12:12 PM
I think so. I really like the guy, but his stubbornness is killing the team. He has favorites like Andre Miller, who I also really like from his first stint here, but he'll play him despite screwing up badly in a game. He won't play certain bigs or rookies generally. I think he's done a good job, but I fear he's run his course. We will soon find out. I believe if they can get 1-2 3 point threats and a top 10 center, I think this team can be one of the better. Need to get rid of Miller and Brewer though.

I feel like McGee has the potential, to be a top 10 C. He is just so goofy though. I believe one day he will be though. Dude is to athletic and skilled to not be.

True Sports Fan
05-08-2013, 12:48 PM
Should be Thib, Jackson, Pop, spo, Karl Imo

blahblahyoutoo
05-08-2013, 01:07 PM
I was more impressed with what Woodson and Jackson did but whatever.

even with iso melo-only plays, no offensive innovation other than copying d'antoni's playbook, playing favorites and not holding players accountable like he said he would, questionable player rotations?
inner. resting.

yungincome
05-08-2013, 01:07 PM
:laugh2: Thibs not even in the top 5? :facepalm: What a scam.

Max.This
05-08-2013, 01:10 PM
Spo is not a good coach, and neither is mike woodson. Anyone can make iso plays and anyone can replace Spo and still do well with that team.

Hellcrooner
05-08-2013, 01:35 PM
no love for dantoni?

rigged!!!!

:laugh:

LA_Raiders
05-08-2013, 01:44 PM
Very well deserved. Thib should be top 5 with Jackson, pop & Woodson. Spo? Lol

nycericanguy
05-08-2013, 01:46 PM
even with iso melo-only plays, no offensive innovation other than copying d'antoni's playbook, playing favorites and not holding players accountable like he said he would, questionable player rotations?
inner. resting.

Iso Melo or not, and despite alllll the injuries, NY ranked 3rd in offensive efficiency.

KB24Mamba
05-08-2013, 01:55 PM
I'm a Bulls fan and agree that with Thibs at 8 is outrageous, but I would give the award to Mark Jackson. I don't think many people had the Warriors having as a successful season as they did. They have talent, but to come out of no where and to do what they are doing in the PS now, is remarkable(no pun intended). Jackson was snubbed. Thibs should've at least been top 5.

COOLbeans
05-08-2013, 02:14 PM
I'm glad mark Jackson didn't win. There's a negative recent trend with young head coaches winning coach of the year and getting fired within the next season or two.

Though he should've been in the top 5 considering the turnaround of that roster, key injuries, and the large improvement regarding the Warriors record..

KnickFanSince91
05-08-2013, 02:17 PM
I agree that Mark Jackson should have won the award. The Warriors were an afterthought going into this season and nobody had them finishing ahead of the Lakers and Mavs. He took a scrappy young team to 47 wins and brought out the best in Curry.

Karl is the biggest underachiever of all time.

LongIslandIcedZ
05-08-2013, 02:25 PM
Surprised.

Happy how much credit Woodson got though.

THE MTL
05-08-2013, 02:32 PM
I hate how ppl are complaining about who's in 8th or 4th or if he finished unanimous. It doesnt matter. People are allowed to have OPINIONS! All that matters is who won the award in the end.

Do you really think next year, we are going to remember that Thibs placed 8th place or Del Negro ahead of Doc Rivers or even who finished 2nd place? NO.

TheNumber37
05-08-2013, 02:37 PM
coy is a regular season award. his surprise nuggets were 3rd in the West, with there best home court record.

Thibs kept his banged up team competitive and finished 5th in the east.

Karl coached Better in the regular season, though he is not the better coach, nor did his team do as well in the playoffs..

Woodson is right where he needs to be

Shammyguy3
05-08-2013, 02:37 PM

we should apply this to the MVP and DPOY then... Lebron did what's expected of him, correct?

Greet
05-08-2013, 02:40 PM
That has nothing to do with it. Look at what he did with this team. We may have missed the playoffs without Thibs - almost everyone on the team missed extensive time to injury, and yet we still finished 5th in the east, only a few games short of 50 wins :facepalm:

Saying that you being a Bulls fan has nothing to do with you voting for Thibs is kinda funny, since it has almost everything to do with it.

Thibs is a great coach, probably would have been my #3 choice for COY this season... Still, you voting for him has something to do with you being a fan of the team he coaches.

blahblahyoutoo
05-08-2013, 02:45 PM
Iso Melo or not, and despite alllll the injuries, NY ranked 3rd in offensive efficiency.

is that a result of good coaching or just chucking up a lot of 3's (most ever in a season)?

NYCkid12
05-08-2013, 02:47 PM

first off they won 45 games (not really a big deal but just thought it should be mentioned)

Now they won 45 games without there superstar, if you take carmello anthony off the knicks do they win 45 games?

nycericanguy
05-08-2013, 02:47 PM
is that a result of good coaching or just chucking up a lot of 3's (most ever in a season)?

so then why don't more teams do it if all NY did was "chuck" up 3's?

Actually HOU broke that record also and shot them at a lower %.

Everyone is shooting a ton of 3's now... we'll have a team make 1,000 three's in a season soon.

NYKnickFanatic
05-08-2013, 02:48 PM

Just curious, are you ever reasonable? Or do you always try to take shots at the Knicks whenever you can?

nycericanguy
05-08-2013, 02:49 PM
first off they won 45 games (not really a big deal but just thought it should be mentioned)

Now they won 45 games without there superstar, if you take carmello anthony off the knicks do they win 45 games?

CHI has a better and more durable supporting cast though so that's not a fair question.

I think NY would around a .500 team without Melo... 45 games is 4 games over a .500 team... so it's not that impressive.

But Noah, Deng, Butler, & Boozer are pretty damn good players.

Jetsguy
05-08-2013, 02:56 PM

Impossible to tell really, does AMare miss the entire season as well? To many variables. My overall point is that a good roster even without rose winning 4 games over .500 is good, but enough for someone to hands down win COY as some in here are suggesting? Not to me. Playoffs are tainting this a little because the Bulls have really overachieved so far.

NYCkid12
05-08-2013, 02:56 PM
CHI has a better and more durable supporting cast though so that's not a fair question.

I think NY would around a .500 team without Melo... 45 games is 4 games over a .500 team... so it's not that impressive.

But Noah, Deng, Butler, & Boozer are pretty damn good players.

Tyson, JR, Shump, Kidd, and Felton are also pretty good...obviously there better with Mello on the court

Also, I know Noah played in the majority of the games but he was no where near 100% for the games he played and he is no doubt there most important player without rose (and some would argue even with rose)

I personally think Thibs should have won the award, but I can understand the arguement for both Jackson and Woodson....the part I think is a joke is that he's not even a top 5 mention

NYCkid12
05-08-2013, 02:59 PM
Impossible to tell really, does AMare miss the entire season as well? To many variables. My overall point is that a good roster even without rose winning 4 games over .500 is good, but enough for someone to hands down win COY as some in here are suggesting? Not to me. Playoffs are tainting this a little because the Bulls have really overachieved so far.

In the scenario I was suggesting, I would have STAT out the whole yr...

nycericanguy
05-08-2013, 03:02 PM
Tyson, JR, Shump, Kidd, and Felton are also pretty good...obviously there better with Mello on the court

Also, I know Noah played in the majority of the games but he was no where near 100% for the games he played and he is no doubt there most important player without rose (and some would argue even with rose)

I personally think Thibs should have won the award, but I can understand the arguement for both Jackson and Woodson....the part I think is a joke is that he's not even a top 5 mention

They are pretty good, but Felton & JR are very inconsistent, and Noah & Boozer are far and away better than anything NY has upfront. And Kidd shouldn't even be in this convo, he had some good games, but he hasn't been good for the most part. I didn't even mention Hinrich or Nate or Marco... I'm just talking about core... CHI's core 4 outside of Rose is much better than NY's

No team is going to be 100% healthy all year.

NYKnickFanatic
05-08-2013, 03:21 PM

They are good, but I bet everyone would say Noah, Boozer, Butler, Deng and Nate are better.

blahblahyoutoo
05-08-2013, 03:25 PM
so then why don't more teams do it if all NY did was "chuck" up 3's?

Actually HOU broke that record also and shot them at a lower %.

Everyone is shooting a ton of 3's now... we'll have a team make 1,000 three's in a season soon.

because not every team has a roster of 3 pt chuckers like melo, jr, novak, kidd (I believe novak/kidd took more 3's than 2's).

also, it's funny how all the ny fans complained when dantoni's offense was supposedly bomb away from 3 and was criticized, and now that woodson is essentially using the same game plan, he's COY candidate.

blahblahyoutoo
05-08-2013, 03:26 PM
Just curious, are you ever reasonable? Or do you always try to take shots at the Knicks whenever you can?

was anything I said untrue or out of line?

NYKnickFanatic
05-08-2013, 03:31 PM
was anything I said untrue or out of line?

Some things, yeah. Woody has been holding guys accountable very much so and also he does not play favorites only. Do we still run D'Antoni's offense? Yeah, so what? Also, that ISO **** is what Melo does. Woodson would of course rather him move the ball. You like to pick out the bad, but not the good. No credit for making the Knicks better defensively?

GiantsSwaGG
05-08-2013, 03:32 PM
This is how the list should of looked like

1. Mark Jackson - Took a young team to the playoffs in just his second season.
2. Mike Woodson - Took an aging team to the playoffs and beat expectation. Knicks were expected to be 5th or 6th seed and not only won the division but was the 2nd seed despite an injury rattled season
3. Tom Thibs - Lead the Bulls to the playoffs without their Star player for an entire season
4. George Karl - Lead the Nuggets to their best season in franchise history
5. Kevin McHale - Lead the young Rockets to the playoffs

Mark Jackson should of won the award

He115ing
05-08-2013, 03:33 PM
No way that ******* is the coach of the year. Thibs should have won or Jackson, or Woody.

blahblahyoutoo
05-08-2013, 03:35 PM
Some things, yeah. Woody has been holding guys accountable very much so and also he does not play favorites only. Do we still run D'Antoni's offense? Yeah, so what? Also, that ISO **** is what Melo does. Woodson would of course rather him move the ball. You like to pick out the bad, but not the good. No credit for making the Knicks better defensively?

really? cuz i could've sworn in every nyk game thread, there's constant b!tching about woodson not holding his players accountable, how he has a doghouse, how he's not benching JR as if he has some dirty secret on him.
need me to dig up examples?

and Melo doing what he does against the coaches will? you've contradicted yourself right there by saying he holds his players accountable, LMAO.

VendettaRed07
05-08-2013, 03:35 PM
because not every team has a roster of 3 pt chuckers like melo, jr, novak, kidd (I believe novak/kidd took more 3's than 2's).

also, it's funny how all the ny fans complained when dantoni's offense was supposedly bomb away from 3 and was criticized, and now that woodson is essentially using the same game plan, he's COY candidate.

Well thats because bombing those three's resulted in losses. He didn't adapt to the staff he had. If you have so many good three point shooters then why not take a lot of threes?.. And when you make so many of them, and are third in offensive efficiency, then saying its just because of the "chucking" doesn't really make sense.

And when they needed to D'Antoni teams never drove to the basket to draw fouls. They actually do that now in addition to the long range game. D'antoni was all about spacing and getting the most open shot possible, which rarely lead to free throws. Also there is defense. The knicks fans wouldn't have complained so much about the offensive strategies if they weren't near the bottom of the league in defense every year D'antoni was there

NYKnickFanatic
05-08-2013, 03:52 PM
really? cuz i could've sworn in every nyk game thread, there's constant b!tching about woodson not holding his players accountable, how he has a doghouse, how he's not benching JR as if he has some dirty secret on him.
need me to dig up examples?

and Melo doing what he does against the coaches will? you've contradicted yourself right there by saying he holds his players accountable, LMAO.

Woodson is always in JRs ear. ALL THE TIME. I know you don't watch Knicks games, so you wouldn't know.

And not really saying Melo does what he wants, I worded that wrong. Melo has always been an ISO player. You can't not ISO a guy, who is so good at it. Woodson has actually started to get Melo to pass more, especially when he is double team. If they kept track of hockey assists, Melo would probably be up there in the lead.

blahblahyoutoo
05-08-2013, 04:00 PM
Well thats because bombing those three's resulted in losses. He didn't adapt to the staff he had. If you have so many good three point shooters then why not take a lot of threes?.. And when you make so many of them, and are third in offensive efficiency, then saying its just because of the "chucking" doesn't really make sense.

And when they needed to D'Antoni teams never drove to the basket to draw fouls. They actually do that now in addition to the long range game. D'antoni was all about spacing and getting the most open shot possible, which rarely lead to free throws. Also there is defense. The knicks fans wouldn't have complained so much about the offensive strategies if they weren't near the bottom of the league in defense every year D'antoni was there

the difference was not in the plays or the shots themselves, but only the fact that they were hitting them more consistently this year.
and if you look up "chucker" in the dictionary, you'll see JR's picture next to it. ask any knick fan.

and iirc, d'antoni's teams were always midpack in defense, not near the bottom.

blahblahyoutoo
05-08-2013, 04:02 PM
Woodson is always in JRs ear. ALL THE TIME. I know you don't watch Knicks games, so you wouldn't know.

And not really saying Melo does what he wants, I worded that wrong. Melo has always been an ISO player. You can't not ISO a guy, who is so good at it. Woodson has actually started to get Melo to pass more, especially when he is double team. If they kept track of hockey assists, Melo would probably be up there in the lead.

i don't watch a lot of the games but i know this trend.
early in the season during the win streak, melo was playing team ball. during the losing streak he wasn't. it doens't take a genius to figure this out, and yet woodson did nothing about it during the losing streak so I don't consider that holding him accountable.

getting in someone's ear is not the same as benching them. he said he would do it but when push came to shove, he never benched jr for his poor play.

DR_1
05-08-2013, 04:14 PM
Saying that you being a Bulls fan has nothing to do with you voting for Thibs is kinda funny, since it has almost everything to do with it.

Thibs is a great coach, probably would have been my #3 choice for COY this season... Still, you voting for him has something to do with you being a fan of the team he coaches.

True. I was mostly upset that he got 8th though. There were a lot of deserving coachers, but there were not 8 coaches better than Thibs this year. I could have gone for Jackson or Thibs personally. Hollins, Pop, Vogel, Doc and Woodsen had good years as well.

VendettaRed07
05-08-2013, 05:24 PM
the difference was not in the plays or the shots themselves, but only the fact that they were hitting them more consistently this year.
and if you look up "chucker" in the dictionary, you'll see JR's picture next to it. ask any knick fan.

and iirc, d'antoni's teams were always midpack in defense, not near the bottom.

Well he is but one player doesn't make a whole team a chucking team. They've been hitting them with more consistency because the gameplan on how to play was built around the staff that woodson was give, D'antoni tried to make his teams into something that they weren't.

And from what i remember in 2010 when the Knicks picked up steam they were 28th in points allowed a game

Lakers + Giants
05-08-2013, 06:23 PM
Tom Ziller ‏@teamziller 3m
14 of 30 NBA head coaches received COY votes. All made playoffs. 2 playoff coaches who didn't get any votes: D'Antoni and Boylan.

Antoni! Honestly this **** made me laugh. :laugh2:

time4change
05-08-2013, 06:48 PM
I can't really believe Thibs didn't win, let alone came in 8th.

There is no coach that did more with less this year. Plain and simple.

time4change
05-08-2013, 06:53 PM
This is how the list should of looked like

1. Mark Jackson - Took a young team to the playoffs in just his second season.
2. Mike Woodson - Took an aging team to the playoffs and beat expectation. Knicks were expected to be 5th or 6th seed and not only won the division but was the 2nd seed despite an injury rattled season
3. Tom Thibs - Lead the Bulls to the playoffs without their Star player for an entire season
4. George Karl - Lead the Nuggets to their best season in franchise history
5. Kevin McHale - Lead the young Rockets to the playoffs

Mark Jackson should of won the award

Take Curry and Anthony off those teams and then talk to me. I know the Knicks had some injuries this year but not even close to the extent of what the Bulls had.

I agree what Jackson did was nice, and Woodsen was good but neither of those coaches dealt with injuries like the Bulls did.

If you look at starting 5's this year there is no way you can kid yourself and tell me that the Bulls had more talent 1 through 5 than the Knicks and the Warriors.

GiantsSwaGG
05-08-2013, 06:57 PM
Take Curry and Anthony off those teams and then talk to me. I know the Knicks had some injuries this year but not even close to the extent of what the Bulls had.

I agree what Jackson did was nice, and Woodsen was good but neither of those coaches dealt with injuries like the Bulls did.

If you look at starting 5's this year there is no way you can kid yourself and tell me that the Bulls had more talent 1 through 5 than the Knicks and the Warriors.

Knicks didn't have Melo for 10+ games
Amare for almost the whole entire season
Chandler 10+ games
Felton for almost 2 months

Those are key players. I wouldn't be mad of Thibs won it over Woody but lets not pretend the Knicks didn't battle thru injuries themselves

blahblahyoutoo
05-08-2013, 07:28 PM
Knicks didn't have Melo for 10+ games
Amare for almost the whole entire season
Chandler 10+ games
Felton for almost 2 months

Those are key players. I wouldn't be mad of Thibs won it over Woody but lets not pretend the Knicks didn't battle thru injuries themselves

why do u think the knicks finished 1st in the east?
:D

IversonIsKrazy
05-08-2013, 07:34 PM
Poor job on COY imo.

D-Leethal
05-08-2013, 08:32 PM
Its a regular season award, he has as good a case as anyone, guy is still an overrated douchebag though.

SoFreshNsoClean
05-08-2013, 08:56 PM
Its a regular season award, he has as good a case as anyone, guy is still an overrated douchebag though.

this

Guppyfighter
05-08-2013, 09:13 PM
Nah, Karl sucked in the regular season too. Ask Nugget fans. Played **** rotations, no structured offense. Got by on home court and just the talent of his players. Nothing to do with him.

SugeKnight
05-08-2013, 10:13 PM
Regular season award given to a regular season coach

D-Leethal
05-08-2013, 10:23 PM
Nah, Karl sucked in the regular season too. Ask Nugget fans. Played **** rotations, no structured offense. Got by on home court and just the talent of his players. Nothing to do with him.

Based on how the award is given out, he was deserving. It has more to do with your record and the circumstances around it than breaking down your decision making from game to game.

I do think if they are gonna give these awards out 2-3 weeks into the playoffs, they need to weigh the first 2-3 weeks of the playoffs. It just looks plain stupid to have a guy get so badly outcoached by a rookie in his playoff series, his team get upset in the first round, and than go hand him COY. Just like it looked stupid to hand Dirk the MVP after he got bounced in the first round as a 1 seed and was getting bottled up by defenders 6 inches short than him.

Do it all in the first week of playoffs if its gonna be strictly regular season. It just makes the awards look like a joke.

DumDum
05-08-2013, 10:27 PM
great for him but he had a lot of talent to mix and match with i,e starting five and bench

OceanSpray
05-09-2013, 01:31 AM
Overrated coach imo. He shouldn't be a candidate.. Who's on his team? Only a roster of 10 players who can start on any team. Seriously, Spo should've won this. Whenever your team accomplishes the best franchise record/longest winning streak in 40 years, there's no denying who it is regardless of who's on your roster. Proof? Phil Jackson had Kobe/Shaq and Jordan/Rodman/Pippen and they never achieved it.

GiantsSwaGG
05-09-2013, 01:34 AM
Jackson, Woodson and Thibs were more deserving. Nobody shouldn't even be in the discussion

Tony_Starks
05-09-2013, 01:40 AM
Mark Jackson...

lol, please
05-09-2013, 02:12 AM
If by George Karl you mean Mark Jackson, then I agree.

Ty_Lawson
05-09-2013, 08:07 AM
Overrated coach imo. He shouldn't be a candidate.. Who's on his team? Only a roster of 10 players who can start on any team. Seriously, Spo should've won this. Whenever your team accomplishes the best franchise record/longest winning streak in 40 years, there's no denying who it is regardless of who's on your roster. Proof? Phil Jackson had Kobe/Shaq and Jordan/Rodman/Pippen and they never achieved it.
nothin, i've read can't ...

Greet
05-09-2013, 08:14 AM
Kind of feel bad for Spo, I don't think he'll ever win this award because of the team he has. Unless his team does something incredibly improbable.

Vinylman
05-09-2013, 10:04 AM

Was that some sort of accomplishment? That's like saying Michael Jordan beat a 5 year old in one on one in his prime...

George Karl is EASILY the most overrated coach of all time... His teams ALWAYS underperform during the playoffs... and that is on the coach not the players

GiantsSwaGG
05-09-2013, 10:09 AM
Kind of feel bad for Spo, I don't think he'll ever win this award because of the team he has. Unless his team does something incredibly improbable.

He shouldn't even be in the conversation. When u have LeBron, you're suppose to win 60 games.

DallasTrilla23
05-09-2013, 10:38 AM
Karl only got coach of the year because Ujiri was the executive of the year.

Greet
05-09-2013, 11:34 AM
He shouldn't even be in the conversation. When u have LeBron, you're suppose to win 60 games.

Oh hold on. What about when you have Kobe? He was the best player in the NBA when PJ won. Should Woodson not be considered because you guys do think Melo should have been MVP?

Lim
05-09-2013, 05:38 PM
Karl is regular season hero. sucks as a coach in the playoffs.

Source
05-09-2013, 06:04 PM
This is more a life-time award, if he were to go out without winning at least one COTY it just would've been a disgrace.