PDA

View Full Version : What are your thoughts on make-up calls?

kozelkid
05-08-2013, 01:27 AM
For anyone who doesn't know what a "make-up call," one site defined it as, "almost always an equal and opposite exchange in relation to the original call. In other words, the two calls must offset each other without giving an advantage to either team."

http://basketbawful.blogspot.com/2006/02/word-of-day-make-up-call.html

Either way, what are your thoughts on it? Are you against refs doing it, especially when it's in response to an original call they realize they ****ed up on. Or, do you believe that they should move on and just call the game as fairly as possibly and in the grand scheme of things they are bound to err on the other team's behalf and it should all even out naturally.

So ya... what are yall's opinion?

Raps18-19 Champ
05-08-2013, 01:41 AM
Horrible. It's bad enough to make 1 mistake, but to purposely make a bad call to even it out doesn't do any justice.

dalton749
05-08-2013, 01:42 AM
its a must. too many games won by ****ing up a call

kozelkid
05-08-2013, 01:48 AM
Horrible. It's bad enough to make 1 mistake, but to purposely make a bad call to even it out doesn't do any justice.

Interesting. Just playing devil's advocate, but wouldn't "fixing" an erronous call with another that offsets it be justice in a sense?

nastynice
05-08-2013, 01:51 AM
I'm good with it as long as its made immediately. Can't let a number of possessions go by and then do a make up call cuz the tone of the game could be changing etc. At that point I view it as two separate **** ups, rather than rectifying the first one.

ThaDubs
05-08-2013, 02:05 AM
How about they just don't **** up to begin with? I think that's the best option.

TeamSeattle
05-08-2013, 02:35 AM
How about they just don't **** up to begin with? I think that's the best option.

exactly

Iggz53
05-08-2013, 10:47 PM
I like it. Officials aren't perfect and honestly, make-up calls seem to me like they know they were wrong and will at least make an effort to correct themselves. It's a hell of alot better than seeing completely one-sided officiating.

BigBlueCrew
05-08-2013, 10:51 PM
No, you dont use one mistake to cover up another. :facepalm: that is the stupidest theory every. Although we all know it happens in Stern's NBA all the time unfortunately.

justinnum1
05-08-2013, 11:16 PM
im ok with it. But does it have to be the same ref that makes the initial mistake for it to be a makeup call?

MrfadeawayJB
05-08-2013, 11:26 PM
It happens all the time so just deal with it. It would be nice if refs never **** up

JasonJohnHorn
05-09-2013, 12:06 AM
The problem is making an intentionally bad call. If the officials mess up, that's bad. If they mess up on purpose, that is MUCH worse. What happens then? Does one official who thinks another official made a bad call make up a call on the other end because he disagrees?

The law of averages should balance it out. That said, it does seem like big market teams, and big name players are already getting enough calls.

savoyjfas
05-09-2013, 12:59 AM
I'm good with it as long as its made immediately.http://www.sioauxzc.info/5j1.jpg

NetsPaint
05-09-2013, 01:27 AM
I'm fine with it if it's made soon after the bad call and it's something believable as a foul.

For example, if they're letting the players play aggressive and a bad call is made, if they call a small bump even though they haven't the rest of the game, then its fine to me, since it is arguably a foul.

D1JM
05-09-2013, 02:07 AM
two wrongs dont make a right