PDA

View Full Version : Is Carmelo Anthony losing games for the Knicks?

IKnowHoops
05-06-2013, 06:12 PM
As I watch the last few Knicks games, I find myself light weight cheering for the Knicks. I also find myself yelling at the TV saying "Carmelo don't shoot". He keeps shooting over and over and over again. He's missing way more shots than he's making yet he continues to chuck. He missed 16 consecutive 3's. Who else doesn't get trick slapped for continued shot attempts. The guy never passes the ball. Its just ridiculous and to me, he is costing the team wins. That stereotype about him being a black whole and a ball stopper is looking to be true. I think Melo is a great player, but his b-ball IQ, playmaking ability for others, and ability to play team basket ball are at an "F" grade right now IMO. Agree or disagree?

bucketss
05-06-2013, 06:15 PM
him and jr are turning into cancerous chuckers.

bigmac8675
05-06-2013, 06:16 PM
He has always been a black hole, and always will be.

Hawkeye15
05-06-2013, 06:21 PM
that is Carmelo though. When he has his 15-20 game stretch where he is making those long 2's, and shooting the ball well, he takes games over. In his stretches where he is not shooting the ball well, he shoots his team out of the game. Melo plays his game, just need to hope he is in his hot stretches.

TeamSeattle
05-06-2013, 06:22 PM
Melo was born to be hated, its not his fault his teammates can't keep up with him.

http://i.minus.com/it4nHCPdZWWT8.gif

ILLUSIONIST^248
05-06-2013, 06:23 PM
Here we go, : popcorn :

Green Storm
05-06-2013, 06:40 PM
Yup Knicks should cut Carmelo ASAP so they can start winning more.

xxplayerxx23
05-06-2013, 06:42 PM
Without melo we are waiting for the lotto ( strange we have a pick for once) we have no other option on the team so no melo is not losing us games, in order for us to win games we need him to keep shooting,

GiantsSwaGG
05-06-2013, 06:43 PM
Melo was born to be hated, its not his fault his teammates can't keep up with him.

http://i.minus.com/it4nHCPdZWWT8.gif

Melo is being outplayed by Felton

Kashmir13579
05-06-2013, 06:44 PM
that is Carmelo though. When he has his 15-20 game stretch where he is making those long 2's, and shooting the ball well, he takes games over. In his stretches where he is not shooting the ball well, he shoots his team out of the game. Melo plays his game, just need to hope he is in his hot stretches.

I agree with this as much as it pains me. When his shot isn't falling he is utterly useless and a detriment on both ends of the floor.

Kashmir13579
05-06-2013, 06:44 PM

Yep.

xxplayerxx23
05-06-2013, 06:47 PM
I agree with this as much as it pains me. When his shot isn't falling he is utterly useless and a detriment on both ends of the floor.

I think he has played some solid defense. Hopefully he snaps out of it.

YoungOne
05-06-2013, 06:49 PM
his shotselection is awful at times, sure they need him to score, but always taking in your face jumpers isnt gonna do it for the knicks...
In the first round I loved it when he did go 1on1 all the time because it was the best chance for us to win..

Kashmir13579
05-06-2013, 06:51 PM

He's too busy barking at the refs to play any defense.

xxplayerxx23
05-06-2013, 06:54 PM

I agree he needs to cut that out. But in the Boston serie and most of the year his defense was solid. Game 1 wasn't the best but he is our best chance to winning hopefully he can play well again.

Guppyfighter
05-06-2013, 07:06 PM
He missed about four shots he makes in his sleep for Indianna. I am going to go ahead and say his awful shooting performance was more regression from his hot streak in the regular season.

It's not a big deal in a sense his play will end up being fine, but it is a big deal if the regression continues extended amount of time in the playoffs.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
05-06-2013, 07:09 PM

I agree he needs to cut that out. But in the Boston serie and most of the year his defense was solid. Game 1 wasn't the best but he is our best chance to winning hopefully he can play well again.

Carmelo's post up D is fine, but outside of that he sucks on the defensive end.

Swashcuff
05-06-2013, 07:11 PM
Basically what Hawkeye said.... Where was this thread when Melo was shooting lights out and scoring at will less than a month ago. The streakiest thing in basketball is shooting (except when you're Steph Curry) and Melo is one of the streakiest around. Basic common sense tbh. Melo's strength is his scoring and him scoring at great volumes is the only way the Knicks stand a chance in the East. He's not going to make those around him better by passing or deferring to others, he'd make them better than taking the pressure to score off of them as well as the defensive attention. On a whole however that's the Knicks offense a bunch of bad shots but sometimes when you have Tyson Chandler inside tapping the ball back out as effectively as he does you can keep plays alive and capitalize.

DumDum
05-06-2013, 07:12 PM
bad shots

justinnum1
05-06-2013, 07:13 PM
No doubt about it, yes.

jam
05-06-2013, 07:14 PM
This is the playoffs

Basically what Hawkeye said.... Where was this thread when Melo was shooting lights out and scoring at will less than a month ago.

xxplayerxx23
05-06-2013, 07:33 PM

Disagree his on the ball defense isn't bad,

Guppyfighter
05-06-2013, 07:35 PM

His defensive awareness is bad. I saw two plays where he picked up the wrong man going back on defense, which lead to easy lay ups for David West.

Kashmir13579
05-06-2013, 07:38 PM
His defensive awareness is bad. I saw two plays where he picked up the wrong man going back on defense, which lead to easy lay ups for David West.

To me it seems the worse he shoots the ball, the more nonchalant he becomes on the defensive end. He misses at the rim and just kind of walks back and potters through the possession.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
05-06-2013, 07:38 PM

Nah it's bad...

LongIslandIcedZ
05-06-2013, 07:39 PM

I thought his defense in the closeout game against Boston was very good.

Aside from that, its pretty mediocre.

His +/- is still pretty good despite his terrible shooting. I dont know if I would say he is losing them games, but his poor shooting is certainly not going to get them to the conference finals.

LayBraun
05-06-2013, 07:39 PM
Carmelo would be the 2nd best player in the NBA if he played a smart game but he doesn't and he doesn't know how to help his team win games when he's ice cold from the field.

Kashmir13579
05-06-2013, 07:41 PM
I thought his defense in the closeout game against Boston was very good.

Aside from that, its pretty mediocre.

His +/- is still pretty good despite his terrible shooting. I dont know if I would say he is losing them games, but his poor shooting is certainly not going to get them to the conference finals.
which closeout game?

Guppyfighter
05-06-2013, 07:43 PM
If Melo was drafted by the Pistons he would never have these problems on defense. His defensive game was screwed by being drafted by the Nuggets.

LongIslandIcedZ
05-06-2013, 07:45 PM
which closeout game?

I believe the one I am thinking of is the one that actually won the Knicks the series, could be wrong though.

Slug3
05-06-2013, 08:18 PM
The thing with Melo is he can get hot, but he has the ability of getting cold as well. But I feel he should look to develop his game more. This year he was at 2 assists a game and has a career of 3 a game. He should really look to work on getting others involved. There are times where he gets it and he is covered and I see someone else open but he still shoots it.

Swashcuff
05-06-2013, 08:19 PM
This is the playoffs stupid.

Thanks for the compliment. In case your simple brain can't comprehend when Melo shoots good from the field and scores his team is most lethal when he's shooting poorly as is the case right now they just aren't. Either way they need Melo to score if they stand a chance at winning. Melo isn't shooting his team out of games he's giving them their only real shot at competing. That's what happens when you play on a team with a make up such as the Knicks. Basic common sense, you know? Or well actually you don't.

Hawkeye15
05-06-2013, 08:22 PM

how anyone can find a chick like your sig hot is beyond me. Lose 15 lbs per cheek. I like some butt, but it shouldn't be as big as her upper back, per cheek

jericho
05-06-2013, 08:22 PM
He is not even taking smart shots. He is always taking contested jump shots, driving towards the big man trying to get a shot where there is none available. How can we not blame him for how the knicks are doing? I would even say that the knicks passed to the 2nd round inspite of him and JR Smith playing the way that they were doing. I mean how hard is it to pass the ball when your shoot is not falling in or atleast to try and get a better look and not force those shoots. And dont dare to say that he doesnt have any help in offense because he actually does Shump, Prigs, Jkidd(i know he is sucking rite now but he can still make em) and Novak are more than capable of hitting that open 3 all you got to do is pass the ball.

Another thing if you are a superstar and you can get all the glory for making your team win whatever than you should be able to take the blame when you or your team those bad 2. Being a superstar is a double edge sword.

Btw im a fellow knick fan :) but i see things how they are i take my homer eyes out most of the time. The only guy im a homer with on the knicks is Shumps i want him to take over the team damn it lol.

Swashcuff
05-06-2013, 08:23 PM
The thing with Melo is he can get hot, but he has the ability of getting cold as well. But I feel he should look to develop his game more. This year he was at 2 assists a game and has a career of 3 a game. He should really look to work on getting others involved. There are times where he gets it and he is covered and I see someone else open but he still shoots it.

That's why I can see someone making the argument that Harden is better. Harden has some of the worst stretches from the field that you'd see from a player of his calibre (though it doesn't seem to last as long as Melo's) but all along he's getting to the line and getting 6-8 more assists a game than Melo does as well. I think it may be a bit too late for Melo to attempt to change that about his game however. He basically is what he is ATM IMO.

Hawkeye15
05-06-2013, 08:24 PM
If Melo was drafted by the Pistons he would never have these problems on defense. His defensive game was screwed by being drafted by the Nuggets.

hmm, never thought of that.

Greet
05-07-2013, 08:41 AM
Just wait until Melo gets hot.....Then he will be proclaimed as the best in the game.

Greet
05-07-2013, 08:43 AM

Wow, that is a very interesting thought. I think I may be inclined to agree....... His defense wouldn't be elite, but it sure as heck would be better than it is now.

BleedGreen1014
05-07-2013, 08:58 AM
Has anyone given much thought to the fact that his shoulder may be more painful than he's letting on. Obviously that can disrupt his shot, just a thought.

FYL_McVeezy
05-07-2013, 09:21 AM
Please move this to the Knicks forum somebody...

BklynKnicks3
05-07-2013, 09:40 AM
Its called a injured shoulder any stretch of games Melo is off is usually a injury related. Who on the knicks is not getting enough shots who do u want to shoot? He has to shoot he would be out about 2 or 3 weeks right now but this is the playoffs he has to gut it out. Knicks have 4 players on the team who play key minutes and cant score unless they are wide open. Kidd pablo chandler Martin. Who is not gettting there shots Jr is ice cold.

BklynKnicks3
05-07-2013, 09:41 AM
said this many times He would have at least one ring and wade lebron would be chasing him.

Swashcuff
05-07-2013, 09:48 AM
Its called a injured shoulder any stretch of games Melo is off is usually a injury related. Who on the knicks is not getting enough shots who do u want to shoot? He has to shoot he would be out about 2 or 3 weeks right now but this is the playoffs he has to gut it out. Knicks have 4 players on the team who play key minutes and cant score unless they are wide open. Kidd pablo chandler Martin. Who is not gettting there shots Jr is ice cold.

Kevin Dirant is nursing and injured rit wrist and has less offensive support than Carmelo. He doesn't need such an excuse and he's still shooting worlds better than Melo.

BklynKnicks3
05-07-2013, 09:55 AM
Less help u have to be kidding me He has a ton off help more even without westbrook. Before Melo reinjured his shoulder he was avging 35 on 45%. Kevin Martin is playing as good or better as Jr. Felton has been good. Jackson is avging 14. Ibaka avg 12. Chandler struggles to get 12 in 2 games. Ibaka plays much better defense. Not to mention Knicks are playing 2 of the top defenses in the NBA. Thunder just played rockets. 1 game vs mempis KD was lights out

Swashcuff
05-07-2013, 10:11 AM
Less help u have to be kidding me He has a ton off help more even without westbrook. Before Melo reinjured his shoulder he was avging 35 on 45%. Kevin Martin is playing as good or better as Jr. Felton has been good. Jackson is avging 14. Ibaka avg 12. Chandler struggles to get 12 in 2 games. Ibaka plays much better defense. Not to mention Knicks are playing 2 of the top defenses in the NBA. Thunder just played rockets. 1 game vs mempis KD was lights out

JR Smith has been a better scorer than Martin this season, Felton IS better than Reggie Jackson, Ibaka is better than Chandler but Shumpert has been better than Thabo. Are you really going to hinge your point on Ibaka being better than Chandler? Without Westbrook Melo has more help than Durant.

BklynKnicks3
05-07-2013, 10:17 AM
No chance Durant roster is loaded. every Knicks player has not played well in the playoffs except felton

bucketss
05-07-2013, 10:33 AM
King Of Excuses.

DoMeFavors
05-07-2013, 10:47 AM
Without melo we are waiting for the lotto ( strange we have a pick for once) we have no other option on the team so no melo is not losing us games, in order for us to win games we need him to keep shooting,

Thats a testament to how bad the supporting cast Carmelo has. You need another star to win games, you cant just waste max contract money for a center with no offense.

koreancabbage
05-07-2013, 10:52 AM
Thats a testament to how bad the supporting cast Carmelo has. You need another star to win games, you cant just waste max contract money for a center with no offense.

no, their coach is actually better- and is why they are in the second round.

Now, we just need to get some real stars in Brooklyn.

DoMeFavors
05-07-2013, 10:54 AM
no, their coach is actually better- and is why they are in the second round.

Now, we just need to get some real stars in Brooklyn.

we got plenty of offensive weapons, Knicks have 1. The other max contract is to a guy that has missed games the last 3 post seasons, and a C that is probably the worst offensive center in the league.

HYFR
05-07-2013, 11:00 AM
There's a few delusional knick fans on this site that overrate melo every chance they get. To me it is what it is. He's on my team so I'm gonna rock with him throughout. He is who he is, there is no changing him and a lot of knick fans have to accept this.

ewing
05-07-2013, 11:20 AM

Melo has a pretty much an unlimited skill set on offensive. My biggest gripe with him as a player is not that he shoots to much or doesn't pass, its that he just doesn't adjust his game. Dude runs to the elbow and plants himself with his back to the basket and calls for the ball regardless of how that's working out. Dude is very capable of coming off screens, playing in the screen roll as picker and ball handler, flashing to the post etc etc. Still, he often especially when thing aren't going well he just plays what he sees as "his game". We saw this in game one when he kept trying to power through Hibbard chest. Like you said when it is cooking, god bless him, when it is not its a ****ing grind. He is a great player and isn't losing games for the knicks but if he wants to take them somewhere he will likely need be better adjusting in game

ewing
05-07-2013, 11:30 AM
how anyone can find a chick like your sig hot is beyond me. Lose 15 lbs per cheek. I like some butt, but it shouldn't be as big as her upper back, per cheek

Hawk, i must say so far you are owning this thread

ewing
05-07-2013, 11:36 AM

I actually agree with you but Melo needs to adjust. He has more then enough game to do some different things that will get those guys some open looks and get himself some more catch and shoot opportunities or cuts the bucket with bully his way in from 20 feet out.

2-ONE-5
05-07-2013, 11:57 AM
this on Woodson he needs to stop letting Melo play hero ball and get back swinigng the ball around the arc and tkaing 3's. NYK games I saw early in the seaosn when they were at their best had tons on ball movemment around the arc getting everyone else open looks. Seems like they have gone away from that espcially in the playoffs. Knicks dont stand a chance if they continue to let Melo play this way

BklynKnicks3
05-07-2013, 11:58 AM
smdh Knick fans do u want Melo to sit out?

KnickaBocka.44
05-07-2013, 11:58 AM
Jason Kidd is losing the Knicks games, he has been non existent since Game 3 in Boston.

BklynKnicks3
05-07-2013, 01:02 PM
Kidd 1.6 ppg 16%

koreancabbage
05-07-2013, 01:30 PM
we got plenty of offensive weapons, Knicks have 1. The other max contract is to a guy that has missed games the last 3 post seasons, and a C that is probably the worst offensive center in the league.

they have JR Smith as well. but we digress. we all know that Brooklyn is the new Atlanta Hawks. Somewhat decent talented team but can never really considered a true contender.

NYtilIdie
05-07-2013, 01:36 PM
I hate rooting for Melo. He commits the most fouls out of any star player, rarely gets any calls and he ALWAYS gets these random *** ghost injuries that just linger all season.

blahblahyoutoo
05-07-2013, 01:41 PM
Has anyone given much thought to the fact that his shoulder may be more painful than he's letting on. Obviously that can disrupt his shot, just a thought.

melo is the type of player that likes to exaggerate the injury use that as a reason as to why he's not shooting well.
like when he tripped over himself and asked to be pulled out of the game, and then saying he doesn't know when he'll recover and might never be the same.
then he went on a stretch where he was on fire.

so he went from "not knowing if he'll ever be the same" to hitting his long jumpers and 3's.
and now he conveniently has a shoulder injury just when he starts to do bad.

JLynn943
05-07-2013, 01:45 PM
This is just what Melo is. It's the biggest reason he had such little success advancing in Denver. He takes bad shots often and doesn't consistently give the effort it takes to win. When he's hitting shots and playing with a ton of effort and energy, he's amazing. It's just a shame we rarely see it.

KnickaBocka.44
05-07-2013, 01:46 PM
melo is the type of player that likes to exaggerate the injury use that as a reason as to why he's not shooting well.
like when he tripped over himself and asked to be pulled out of the game, and then saying he doesn't know when he'll recover and might never be the same.

so he went from "not knowing if he'll ever be the same" to hitting his long jumpers and 3's.

He never said that. The hate is strong in you.

He said, "I don't think I'll ever be 100%" alluding to the fact that he takes a beating game in and game out. That was after he had already missed games due to that injury.

On top of that, if you didn't see KG pull his shoulder out you're blind.

Beltrans Mole
05-07-2013, 01:50 PM
The sooner you realize that any star that plays in NY will be doubted until he wins the big one, the sooner you can tune the morons out.

mp3
05-07-2013, 02:06 PM
Melo is the reason the Knicks have got to where they, but he is also the reason they will not get any further.

JLynn943
05-07-2013, 02:09 PM
The sooner you realize that any star that plays in NY will be doubted until he wins the big one, the sooner you can tune the morons out.

Nice try, but he was doubted in Denver, too.

JordansBulls
05-07-2013, 02:32 PM
JR Smith has been a better scorer than Martin this season, Felton IS better than Reggie Jackson, Ibaka is better than Chandler but Shumpert has been better than Thabo. Are you really going to hinge your point on Ibaka being better than Chandler? Without Westbrook Melo has more help than Durant.

I think without Westbrook the talent is almost equal once you factor in Amare is not playing either. OKC has a lot younger guys while NYK have a lot of older guys. But one thing is certain Memphis is a better opponent overall than Indiana is.

BklynKnicks3
05-07-2013, 02:36 PM
no it had nothing to do with playing 6 nba finals teams

Nycbball08
05-07-2013, 02:48 PM
:guns::guns::guns::guns::guns::guns::guns:for all y'all talking chit about Melo

2-ONE-5
05-07-2013, 02:54 PM
grow up

sammyvine
05-07-2013, 03:19 PM
he can't and will never lead a team to a championship

he is not a superstar imo.

Beltrans Mole
05-07-2013, 03:54 PM
Nice try, but he was doubted in Denver, too.

You think Melo had this much scrutiny on him as a "star" while in Denver compared to now?? You gotta be joking around...

If Melo played in Denver his entire career and never got out of the 1st round, he'd still be considered a star because of his scoring ability. Now that he's in NY, all anyone cares about is what this guy does in the playoffs and compares him to Lebron and KD every second.

blahblahyoutoo
05-07-2013, 03:58 PM
You think Melo had this much scrutiny on him as a "star" while in Denver compared to now?? You gotta be joking around...

If Melo played in Denver his entire career and never got out of the 1st round, he'd still be considered a star because of his scoring ability. Now that he's in NY, all anyone cares about is what this guy does in the playoffs and compares him to Lebron and KD every second.

disagree. he had the hype of leading syracuse to a title, being drafted top 3(?), and the pressure has been on him to prove himself in the bigs ever since regardless of where he went - whether it be LA, NY, detroit, toronto.

D-Leethal
05-07-2013, 04:01 PM

lol, he got his knee drained like 3 days later and instantly had a monster game. I'd say that was a legitimate injury excuse.

Have you not seen his shoulder pop out twice dude?

Its pretty obvious the guy is hurt. Your shoulder doesn't pop out on the reg for no reason.

BklynKnicks3
05-07-2013, 04:06 PM
lol if it was him bosh n wade he would have a chip too

Matrix3132
05-07-2013, 04:12 PM
lol, he got his knee drained like 3 days later and instantly had a monster game. I'd say that was a legitimate injury excuse.

Its pretty obvious the guy is hurt. Your shoulder doesn't pop out on the reg for no reason.

I've seen melo pretend like his shoulder has popped out twice when he wasn't playing well, I mean come on, there's a lot of people trolling melo/knicks but KG barely held his arm, that happens 20+ times a game...

BklynKnicks3
05-07-2013, 04:16 PM
Melo actually hurt his shoulder in the end of the year vs the pacers. Kg just made it worse by not letting go of his arm on that play. Get your facts right

blahblahyoutoo
05-07-2013, 04:17 PM

his shoulder pops out, yet he continues to play the game. that's heroic.
yet when he trips on his own feet and bruises his ego, he pulls himself out.

all i'm saying is he's a pretty good actor. must be getting lessons from lala.

BklynKnicks3
05-07-2013, 04:20 PM
that is a reg season vs cavs this is the playoffs iam sure if that was playoffs he would have came back.

Beltrans Mole
05-07-2013, 04:24 PM
disagree. he had the hype of leading syracuse to a title, being drafted top 3(?), and the pressure has been on him to prove himself in the bigs ever since regardless of where he went - whether it be LA, NY, detroit, toronto.

A guy like Melo is always going to have pressure on him regardless of where he plays...that's part of being a star in the NBA. However, the media scrutiny turned up big time once he put on a Knicks jersey. It's a combo of the Knicks playing in NYC, Melo being a household name and the Knicks being starved for a championship. He's the best player they've had in a very long time...maybe ever. My point is, there weren't nearly this many Melo haters 5-8 years ago when Melo was going about his business and scoring in Denver. This is his best season ever, yet everyone thinks he's not an elite player because he's not Lebron. Well guess what, no one is Lebron...he's an all-time great.

D-Leethal
05-07-2013, 04:28 PM
I've seen melo pretend like his shoulder has popped out twice when he wasn't playing well, I mean come on, there's a lot of people trolling melo/knicks but KG barely held his arm, that happens 20+ times a game...

It doesn't take much to pop your shoulder out. I don't think it was a dirty play by KG at all, he held his arm like all players hold and Melo twisted in the opposite direction. All of his teammates are saying Indy is trying to bump his shoulder while hes saying they aren't. Its clear the entire team is worried about his shoulder, this isn't Melo making **** up.

Melo's shoulder popped out earlier in the season so you probably did see it pop out twice when he wasn't playing well.

D-Leethal
05-07-2013, 04:30 PM
his shoulder pops out, yet he continues to play the game. that's heroic.
yet when he trips on his own feet and bruises his ego, he pulls himself out.

all i'm saying is he's a pretty good actor. must be getting lessons from lala.

You can pop a shoulder back in. If you have separated your shoulder in the past you know this. You can't drain a knee on the sidelines and keep playing.

His shoulder popped out when we were in a winnable game up 3-0, why the hell would he fake that?

His knee was drained and instantly looked like a different player. Thats not acting.

And come on, we really talking about faking injuries? LeBron acted like he got a spinal injury on a screen from Tyson in the playoffs last year. Dude always makes his injuries mega-dramatic and walks back on the court.

At least Melo actually has doctors confirm hes injured when he makes a big deal about it.

Oh yea and Wade was crying in a wheelchair when he busted up his shoulder.

Sandman
05-07-2013, 04:49 PM

Yeah let Felton put up 20 shots and handle the scoring load. I wonder why nobody's tried that before.